Piano World Home Page
Posted By: PNO2NER Baldwin hammer replacement - 08/10/02 11:30 AM
I have a client who has asked me to replace the hammers on her Baldwin R, 5' 8" grand piano. I am looking for a recommendation on the brand and type of hammer that will deliver a moderately bright tone with a minimum of voicing and touchweight change. Any preferences? Thanks,
PNO2NER
Posted By: SamLewisPiano.com Re: Baldwin hammer replacement - 08/10/02 04:47 PM
hey PNO2NR- You may receive better answers than this, but you sound a bit like me- we do hammers, but not enough to know everything about every type available. I rely on Wally Brooks in Connecticut. He will advise you on what hammers to use, and even do a little or a lot of the prep work for you. I give him the info as to type of piano and desired result, send him samples, and he does the rest. For a very reasonable fee they will also hang them for you. It saves so much time, it's worth it. I am not associated with them in any financial way, so I guess it's OK to give them this plug. The number is 800-326-2440.............Sam
Posted By: PNO2NER Re: Baldwin hammer replacement - 08/10/02 07:56 PM
Thanks Sam, I know Wally but have never used his products. Others in PTG are suggesting the same thing, right now, Renner and Abel are running about even, locally Isaac seems to be popular, and I've used Pianotek in the past. Thanks again, your posts and answers are always good.....PNO2NER
Posted By: lb Re: Baldwin hammer replacement - 08/10/02 08:41 PM
Posted By: reblder Re: Baldwin hammer replacement - 08/11/02 01:48 AM
Niles and I are pro-Abel and pro-Tokiwa(the latteravailable at Pacific Piano as Pacific Gold hammers). We've obtained excellent results and unlike with Renners, the hammers aren't rock like specimens which so mightily test the durability of our voicing needles.

Mark Mandell
www.pianosource.com
Posted By: Niles Duncan Re: Baldwin hammer replacement - 08/20/02 11:59 PM
Mark and I like the hammers that Abel make specifically for Wally Brooks - they call them them Abel Encore hammers - and we like the Tokiwa hammers sold by Pacific Piano Supply. We consistently get excellent results with either. Both are lightweight hammers that are made with rebuilding the early 20th Century American grand pianos in mind, and with properly selected shanks and whippens will allow you to put an action together and not be behind the eight ball with respect to touch weight. They are not difficult to voice either. Recently we tried some Renner lights on a little Baldwin that we were rebuilding and I did not appreciate what rocks they were - very hard and a lot more work than either the Abels or Tokiwas to voice. I don't plan on using the Renners again.

Niles Duncan
Piano rebuilder, Pasadena, CA
www.pianosource.com
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums