Piano World Home Page
Posted By: pianoloverus Tuning: once/year vs every 8 months - 02/01/09 06:47 PM
My tech said my 3 year old BB was so stable that I could consider having it tuned only once/year instead of twice/year. I couldn't decide, so I asked him "what about a compromise...every 8 months?"

He said this would actually be worse than once/year because if I tune it once/year at least the piano is in the same state(because the humidity is at the same level)as opposed to a tuning every 8 months when the humidity will cause the piano to be in a different state each time. Do you experts agree with this opinion?

I should say that I use a humidifier in winter to raise the humidity and an AC in the summer to lower the humidity, but in general the room's humidity is slightly lower in the winter and slightly higher in the summer.
Yes, from my experience on the West Coast it is best to tune the instrument at the same time each year.

But interestingly enough, because I live in an area that stretches from oceanfront to the coastal mountains that time of the year might be different for different instruments.

www.silverwoodpianos.com
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums