When a piano hasn't been played in 7 years? Issues

Posted by: Randy Smith

When a piano hasn't been played in 7 years? Issues - 03/18/09 07:14 AM

Hi, I am considering the purchase of a 1991 Yamaha U-1 that hasn't been played in about 7 years. It's a private sale (2500) and I am wondering if the piano was otherwise kept in good condition (pics look great) will there likely be a large tuning adjusting etc expense because of it not being played?? I will take a tech I think, but it is an hour drive to see and I just wanted to get a sense. Thanks so much
Posted by: Dale Fox

Re: When a piano hasn't been played in 7 years? Issues - 03/18/09 12:24 PM

It will likely need a pitch raise as well as a little more frequent tuning schedule until it settles down. Plan on tuning it a couple weeks after arrival and then again in three months. A tech can tell you more after that. Nothing unusual and nothing scary. Most likely it will need a bit of touch up to the regulation as well.
Posted by: Randy Smith

Re: When a piano hasn't been played in 7 years? Issues - 03/18/09 01:35 PM

Thanks so much for the information!
I'm familiar with the cost of tunings, but is a touch up of the regulation expensive?
Posted by: Jerry Groot RPT

Re: When a piano hasn't been played in 7 years? Issues - 03/18/09 10:55 PM

Depends on how extensive it is.
Posted by: Yamaha06

Re: When a piano hasn't been played in 7 years? Issues - 03/19/09 11:33 AM

I would also say that finding out the environmental conditions of where it was kept in storage during that time will help you understand its condition also. Uncontrolled humidity, etc...
Posted by: showard

Re: When a piano hasn't been played in 7 years? Issues - 03/21/09 10:18 PM

The condition will largely depend on the environment it's been kept in during those 7 years. Taking a tech with to evaluate the condition is money well spent. They will be able to determine the condition of the tuning pin torque as well as other structural conditions. You are probably already aware that the U1 is a very solid good sounding piano. And for this price, it is a good buy, if the condition of the piano is good.