Piano World Home Page
I am a novice technician learning the trade and am an Associate member of the Phoenix Chapter of PTG. I am learning by working on my own pianos and friends' pianos. One friend has an old upright that really intrigues me. I have been unable to find a manufacturer's name on it so far, but I have found a serial number (8460, FWIW) stamped on the fall board and painted on the pin block, which is open-faced. The piano itself is of somewhat basic yet sturdy design; the pin block is in fairly good shape and has painted designs on it. It has two-string unisons until it gets up into the higher end of the treble section. The keys (which are not original) are one-piece; their fronts are smooth. Structurally the piano is in good shape and the owner would like to preserve it. I am more than willing to take it on, since I have a "thing" for old uprights, but I am wondering if anyone can point me toward some reference materials or if anyone has some knowledge that might point me toward a manufacturer's name. Any help would be appreciated!
Probably no way to really know who made it. It is probably is an old stencil piano. Some factories back in the old days made pianos and put whever name on it the buyer desired. The serial number you furnished is useless without a name. Sounds like a really old three quarter plate piano from the 1890's thru the early 1900's. Twos string unisons indicate to me it was a low end piano in it's younger days.

It is okay to be intrigued especially when you are learning, but dont expect too much from this piano. There are better choices when looking for pianos to learn on.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums