Cat urine

Posted by: Greg Seagraves

Cat urine - 06/08/09 02:09 PM

I have a piano that a cat has urinated on. Is there a product that anyone has used that will remove this odor and not just mask it?
Posted by: Chopless

Re: Cat urine - 06/08/09 07:50 PM

I am not a tech (but I appreciate mine). My cat let loose on my hardwood floor and I successfully removed the odor with a product called "Urine-Off" (no, it's not a joke). You can read about it at http://www.urineoff.com/. I don't think they sell from the web, but there's a dealer locator on the site. They make separate products for cat, dog and horse urine, so make sure you get the right one. It takes more than one application (the site has instructions), and you may need to re-finish the surface afterward. Once the urine odor is removed there's a very slight perfume odor until it's completely dry. But it won't stink at all when you're done. (My schnozz is particularly sensitive.) BTW I have no ties to this company. Good luck!
Posted by: OldUprightMania

Re: Cat urine - 06/08/09 08:18 PM

Vinegar is an excellent around the house cleaner for urine cleanup. It removes the smell completely. I used it a lot when I had a puppy, and it really helped. It is important that you remove the smell, because if some is still there the cat might pee there again. Be careful where you put it. (I wouldn't go and pour a gallon of vinegar into the action or anything) It will work though.
Posted by: msks

Re: Cat urine - 06/08/09 09:59 PM

I once worked on rebuilding a Steinway grand that the owner let her cats use as a litter box. Strange but TRUE! Some of the wood was saturated. Ack! Needless to say it was purchased at a bargain price. The only thing that really eliminated the smell was sealing the wooden parts with shellac. Other than that, I have had good results with extra strength Febreeze.
Posted by: Dale Fox

Re: Cat urine - 06/08/09 11:34 PM

A gallom of gas and a road flare work really well!
Posted by: Greg Seagraves

Re: Cat urine - 06/10/09 08:11 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.. I'm curious though. Would'nt 1/4 gallon of gas be plenty for 1 cat??? Just kidding, just kidding.
Posted by: sotto voce

Re: Cat urine - 06/10/09 09:17 AM

I'm just a pet-owning (and piano-owning) consumer, and I like Nature's Miracle. It's enzyme-based with no noxious scent of its own, and is a very popular product (available at Petco or most any comparable retailer of pet supplies).

I've used Nature's Miracle on wood surfaces and keep some in a small spray-top bottle when misting an object seems more appropriate than saturation or soaking. It has the consistency of water and leaves no residue, but I would still be cautious about using any liquid product in or on a piano.

FWIW, I'm always amazed how fantasies of cruelty toward cats are good for a laugh though one would be pilloried for saying something comparable about dogs.

Steven
Posted by: UnrightTooner

Re: Cat urine - 06/10/09 09:33 AM

Originally Posted By: sotto voce

FWIW, I'm always amazed how fantasies of cruelty toward cats are good for a laugh though one would be pilloried for saying something comparable about dogs.

Steven

I think it is because if a person acts like a cat they are considered to be criminally insane, but if they act like a dog, they are considered to be a good 'ol boy.