Piano World Home Page
OK everyone! Believe it or not, the ball is already rolling as far as gathering class ideas for the next Annual PTG Conference in Las Vegas! This can be a very affordable conference to attend if you are not one of the mathematically impaired.

I'm interested in anyone's ideas for class topics and or instructors. Was there something you wished you had seen at the last conference that you want to have brought back? Was there anything that we should drop?

I'm also interested in what offerings might attract non-guild members. Any ideas, folks??
Ryan,

I missed the GR conference, due to other work responsibilities but was planning to spend a week in LV next summer. What are the dates for the conference. Seems like since I'm going, might as well plan when the conference is going on.

Thanks,
Magz
Hi Ryan,

Good to meet you at the convention!

I noticed there weren't any classes dealing with the furniture side of pianos (for example, polyester repair, re-finishing, etc.). (At least, I don't think there were, but it's entirely possible I didn't notice...)

Regards,
Zeno
Ryan, Zeno's idea is a good one. The theme of the conference will be, as I understand it, "The Practical Technician". The institute director told me he is looking for ideas which technicians can take back with them, put into practice and make money with them.

A double or all day session on practical, hands on techniques for repairing damaged polyester and the classic methods or repairing burns, scratches and dents in traditional finishes would well serve the focus of the next institute.
Ruth and Webb Phillips have done the all day poly repair class numerous times - it is usually an extra fee type presentation but well worth it as you come away with a kit that costs the same as the class fee as well as new skills. I believe that Webb will do presentations on many other aspects of finish repair.
I have always hoped to get Bruce Hoadley (Understanding Wood)to do a presentation on wood and its physical properties.
Rather than or inclusive with the typical rebuilders showcase - have one for amatures.
How about a class that teaches new techs that choose to start out with edt how to properly use an etd so that the ear developes as opposed to the eye - just in case they forget their etd one day for an appointment - or maybe a class that would give those stuck on one some practical techniques to wean themselves from it.
I agree Zeno! We already have one idea in the works for a traditional materials furniture repair class. Polyester repair is also an important one to offer.

Gene, I too have entertained the idea of contacting Hoadley for a presentation. Getting a big name like him at a conference can be a big draw! We'll check into that one.

I like these ideas, guys! Keep 'em comin!
How about "Getting your hands on CA glue"? wink
Its funny you mention that! I was just checking through my emails a few minutes ago and saw that Jim Coleman is offering to teach an adhesives class, and he suggested that it can be a hands on class! He has taught this class before and its title was "Bond, James Bond".
At the risk of repeating myself because I mentioned this in your other thread, but, I will repeat myself anyway, classes on becoming an S Corp. Or something else from a CPA regarding operating a business. It would be nice to have some big wig come in there for that too from some corporation that might be willing to donate their time talking about expanding and building a business.

Posted By: RPD Re: Ideas for the 2010 Conference and Institute? - 07/28/09 01:30 AM
Not sure we can attend in Vegas...its not terribly likely, but I agree with the S-Corp. idea Jerry. We're still SP, but I'm all ears on ways to save $!

As for attracting non-Guild members, I can't think of any way you'd be able to improve on this year's exhibit hall! As for the classes, possibly offering a buy-in for a pachage of 5 classes, or something like that...I could have attended some classes on Sat/Sun this year, but it didn't appear possible to mix and match without buying the whole event pass. And, of course PTG needs to make back expenses so my suggestion might be to allow non-members to audit classes on an availability basis, i.e. members get first dibs and if there's room, the non-members can pony up the $'s and join the class.

This might not be practical, but besides that, I can't think of anything that could have made Jane, Joe and me feel more welcome than we were...it was an amazing gathering in GR!!

FWIW RPD

I've never been to a convention but I plan on going to LV. I've never seen anyone(besides myself), tune an entire piano start to finish and I'd love to see someone do it. One feller could do it totally by ear. the other could use a SATIII, and still another RCT or some other ETD as and aid. Offer 3 or 4 different dudes tuning an ENTIRE piano "their" way and do it as if they were in a clients home. NO TALKING. NO FREAKIN LONG DISCOURSES ON WHY, WHAT, WHERE, WHO, HOW OR NONE OF THAT. Just tune the piano all the way through and let me watch.

Anson Everitt
PTG assoc.

p.s. i scored 3 steinways this month. one is 7'4".
Jerry,

That's a good idea - there were plenty of (useful) business related classes dealing with taxes, growing your business, etc. but I don't think there was anything that dealt with incorporation.

-Zeno

ps - Jerry, I caught a glimpse of you in Grand Rapids, sorry I didn't get a chance to introduce myself.
Oh man Zeno, that's to bad. Next time walk up and poke me or something [Linked Image] and say hey dude. [Linked Image]

Normally, I would have attended a lot more business related classes but I had my son with me and wanted him to attend the regulation, voicing and other piano related classes as he is such a beginner yet although, I did manage to attend one business class regardless.

I also signed him up for a private tutoring class will Bill Bremmer on Saturday which went well for him, I thought, all things considered.

© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums