March Piano Bar

Posted by: (Was)TrueBeginner

March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 07:35 AM

Knock!knock! Nobody's here yet? So I will just sneak in the bar and play my newest piece. I hope I will not wake up the neighbor

Sorrow

TB
Posted by: Rickster

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 07:53 AM

Hi TB, and All!

I actually wrote two new songs recently. Here is one that I'll start with for my first presentation to the March PB. When I wrote this song, I thought about the people in Haiti or anywhere there is human suffering and need.

My playing and singing are not all that great, but the song has a good message.

I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGKVjXT0WaY

Rick
Posted by: BillM

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 08:06 AM

TB - Quite a lovely tune - perfect for navel gazing while sitting alone at the bar slowly sipping a whiskey straight up.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 08:11 AM

Rickster - I liked everything about this: the message, the song, and the performance. Very well done.
Posted by: Loves Pugs Too

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 08:39 AM

Very very nice Rickster - great morning greeting.

TB - Also a very gracefull welcome tune for the new day.

Richard
Posted by: David Ruzicka

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 08:54 AM

Hi everyone,
I see that this Piano bar started with original compositions which is quite fitting as I have something of my own to post too. It sounds a bit like Beethoven's Moonlight sonata but that was not my intention (at least not conscious one :-) ).

David Ruzicka - Into the Unknown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMGuj5B_-EU

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 09:06 AM

oh, I forgot I have actually two pieces to post. The second one is from Czech musical. I guess that there's only a slim chance anybody in here will know this melody but believe me that in Czech Republic it is quite popular song (although it's almost 40 years old).

Karel Svoboda - To the Towers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwEd5Qx5qX4

If you like this piece, you may also like this one.
It's by the same author. Unfortunately this is far beyond my playing capabilities so I can only listen and enjoy smile

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 09:21 AM

David - A lovely tune. Although I can also hear the Moonlight influence you have created something that is uniquely yours.
Posted by: Pedies

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 09:28 AM

Hello, all.

I recently joined this site. I wanted to try to add something to this section as it looks like the place to share music.

I am a self-taught amateur. I have played on my own for quite a few years but decided to try to get better on July 2nd of 2009 as this is when my little girl was born. I want her to grow up in a home with music playing so that's what I'm working on.

Here is one of my favorite pieces played on my piano which I received 2 months ago (I played on keyboards before that).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBbrn4Z9c9g

Posted by: Inlanding

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 10:10 AM

TB ~ Sorrow certainly does have a sorrowful sound to it with a gleam of hope sound intertwinwed! Very nice playing.

Rick ~ You cease to amaze! It is fascinating how well you compose your own tunes/lyrics. Such talent. Great message.

David ~ You always post such wonderful pieces of music and play them so well. Love the sound and to watch you perform.

Pedies ~ Haven't listened to George Winston in a long time. Excellent playing of his transcription! Welcome to the Piano Bar!

Glen

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 10:19 AM

I'd like to jump on this month's Original Composition bandwagon by reprising a recording I did for one of last year's recitals (the audio and video quality are not very good as this was recorded using my old camera).

You may notice that the music is stolen heavily borrowed from the Muppet's Theme and Billy Joel's Piano Man. The lyrics are semi-original.

Posted by: ladypayne

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 11:06 AM

TB: That was very pretty smile
Rickster: That was great playing and singing! Nice message to it
David: Lovely playing on both pieces. Always interesting to hear music from around the world!
Pedies: Welcome to the piano bar and you played beautifully!
Bill: Very enjoyable! Thanks smile
Posted by: Larry B

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 11:44 AM

TB - Very evocative of its title! It feels like the score to a sad film, when the protagonist has hit bottom and is about to boost themselves back up by their bootstraps.

Rickster - Yet another great song in yet another different style. And the sound is great, too. The vocal mic has a nice mellow tone to it.

David - Even if accidental, I think it's great to take a the conceptual idea of Moonlight and veer off into your own improvised direction. This works well and your playing is very confident.

Pedies - That was terrific. And your piano sounds great!

Bill - If there's anything better than Muppet music, it's got to be Muppet music with Billy Joel influences. Outstanding! So...does that make you Rowlf the Dog?

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 12:11 PM

Bill ~ The fun you are having there is contagious! Thanks for that one!

Glen

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 01:20 PM

Pedies - this is a real Joy! You played this very well. The quality of your video and audio is also first rate.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 02:00 PM

Thanks for the compliment, Bill.

Your playing is a lot of fun to watch. Nice and smooth. And the lyrics fit nicely.

Because of your song, I think I will try to put up a version of Pianoman that I've been meaning to post for the longest time and now that I finally have a piano to play, I probably should get around to playing it.

And for Larry B, I pretty much fell off my chair when I saw your Rowlf comment (And of course the picture of Rowlf).
Posted by: jotur

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 02:04 PM

True Beginner - very nice. It reminds me of some of the Einaudi pieces that Monica plays with that ostinato bass.

Rickster - that was wonderful. This would be a great piece for the next graduation ceremony you're asked to play for.

David - Into the Unknown didn't sound so much like Moonlight that you could be accused of stealing it - it was very nice, so Moonlight was a good influence.

Pedies - congratulations on your new daughter, your new piano, and your playing. It was very well-played.

Hey, Bill - I always love your stuff, and your sense of humor hits the spot smile

Cathy

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 05:06 PM

TB - Very emotional piece and a great start of this Piano Bar.

Rick - I have to agree with Bill, very good work. How much time does it take for you to write a song like this one?

Pedies - Very good. I like both the piece and your playing.

Bill - Your Piano Bar Theme was really fun to listen to. Great job smile
Posted by: Studio Joe

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 05:50 PM

TB- A very good composition and very well played.

Rick- Good lyrics, good playing and singing. Lyrics with a message of wisdom. Or was it experience?

David- I Like this and as others have said it reminds me of "Moonlight".

Pedies- "Joy" I haven't heard this piece before. I like it and you play it very well.

Bill- A swinging song! Very appropriate for the bar. Good performance, I enjpoyed it.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 05:57 PM

I won't have time to make a recording this month but here is one from my archives.

Played with elec piano and midi tracked accompaniment.

Blue Velvet

-----------------------
Posted by: mom3gram

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 07:11 PM

True Beginner, that was truly beautiful!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 07:28 PM

Studio Joe - That is quite a production. Nicely done.
Posted by: jotur

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 08:01 PM

Studio Joe - what a blast from the past smile I was in jr. high - thanks for the memories.

Cathy

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 10:54 PM

Wow, all the submissions here are great!!! I'm really enjoying them all!

Thanks for the comments on my song writing, by-the-way!

I was going to save this one for next months piano bar, but what the heck.... we only have "happily ever after in the here and now"!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJOpykUZxIA

Take care,

Rick
Posted by: Riddler

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/10 11:49 PM

TB - Sorrow - to me that has a nostalgic feeling - peaceful and resigned, but sad. You play with excellent control. Well done!

Rick - another great song, another excellent performance. And by some cosmic coincidence, I just watched the first half of a movie called Cold Souls, and I'll be darned if your song doesn't seem like a commentary on it! Anyway, well done!

David - Into the Unknown - a beautiful composition! I like the way it continually recalls Moonlight Sonata, then navigates off into new harmonic territory. Well played.

Pedies - something tells me you are enjoying your new piano! That was very listenable. Well done!

Bill - OK, so that was before you got your new piano, but by golly, you were having fun then too! That was musically enjoyable, and it gave me a few laughs too. What can be better than that?

Joe - very professional, very well put together. One of those songs that evokes memories. Well done.

My piece this month is called Cold Duck Time. Here I am using the Electric Piano voice on my Yamaha piano, for a funk sound. Drums and bass were on a backing track. This is kind of a catchy funky song - something different for me.

http://www.box.net/shared/htvqxczjby

Ed
Posted by: BenPiano

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/10 01:13 AM

You Tubers, I left comments on your video.

TB - very fitting title - great start to this month's piano bar

Joe - sounds like you had a lot of fun with this one!

Riddler - waoh, you must have spent a lot of time engineering that one! It was fun to listen to.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/10 02:50 AM

Riddler: I like "Cold Duck". Good arrangement.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/10 08:50 AM

Rick, Bill, Richard, David, Glen, Ladypayne, Larry, Joe, Cathy, Ed, mom3gram, Benpiano

Thank you all for listening and for your nice comments.

Rick - That's is a very meaningful song and you played well as usual. I always envy you, Bill, Peyton ... for being able to write lyrics, sing and play accompaniment.

David - I love both of your pieces. The first one has the feel of Moonlight Sonata in a sense that it conveys a peaceful nocturnal mood but your tune sounds current. The second one fits right into my style, I love the left hand arpeggio.

Pedies - Welcome to the bar and I think you played really well. Good quality video too.

Bill - You put a smile on my face and made my day.

Joe - It sounded really good, like I listened to a band. Love the tune.

Ed - catchy and funky indeed. It made me want to get up and dance smile

TB

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/10 01:05 PM

An old standard for us beginners. Enjoy! smile

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/10 02:53 PM

Ed - I love this! "Catchy and funky" - man, you got that right. I really like that EP voice, it has kind of an edge to it that is really cool.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/10 02:55 PM

Excellent performance with “Sorrow”, TB! I enjoyed it much!

I always enjoy your playing, David!

Great playing, Pedies! Nice piano too! I’m in the market for a cheap 7+ footer (although I haven’t found one yet! grin)

Bill, I’ll bet you practice 24/7! You are good!

Studio Joe, your recordings are first rate!

Riddler, I loved your piece!

Ben, I enjoyed your piece! I wish I could read that well!

Take care all, and keep up the great music!

Here is a poem I wrote for you all! grin

Music is more than a universal language
It is a joy and a gift to help us manage
It helps relieve stress and sadness
It keeps us from the ravages of madness
I like to sing and I like to play
It calms my nerves and makes my day
Music is a blessing from above
It is like a gift of life or love
Keep it up, my ABF friends!
I hope to listen to you all again! thumb

Take care!

Rick

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/10 04:46 PM

Joe,
That was fantastic! You always come up with some great music. Very well done, indeed.

Rick,
These lyrics and accompaniment just come naturally to you? What great creative talent.

Ed,
I like your idea of using a back-track. You did this very well. You are a versatile player - lots of different skills you have!

Ben,
You keep great time and your hands are still, keeping your fingers at the ready. It is great to watch you play - good technique!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/10 09:00 PM

BenPiano,

Loved your Bach piece. Very musically played which makes it very enjoyable to hear and watch.

By the way, I have the Roland model before yours came out, the Phantom X8 and I love it. The piano sound is amazing. Even though I finally have a real piano, I go back to the roland to play a lot.

-Pedies
Posted by: CebuKid

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/10 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: b528nf7
I'd like to jump on this month's Original Composition bandwagon by reprising a recording I did for one of last year's recitals (the audio and video quality are not very good as this was recorded using my old camera).

You may notice that the music is stolen heavily borrowed from the Muppet's Theme and Billy Joel's Piano Man. The lyrics are semi-original.

Hahaha...loved it! Nice! This song brought back childhood memories of the Muppets.
Posted by: CMohr

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/10 10:09 PM

What a great start to March!

TB-lovely piece!

Rickster-a big BRAVO! Your playing is always heartfelt. "Happily Ever After", love the lyrics - you really should put out a CD.

David-great playing! I especially liked the "Karel Svoboda", very lyrical.

Pedies-Wow! Amazing playing, I love this piece BTW, and nice piano, too!

B52-LOVED IT!! This piece just made my day - the whole thing, playing, singing and great lyrics! ha

Riddler- Very cool cool ! As for your title - sparkling wine or real ducks? I could see ducks walkin' around to this. (I'm a little partial being a U of O "duck") laugh

Ben-REALLY great on the Bach!

Studio Joe- Man, haven't heard this for quite a while, nice job! Who can't love Blue Velvet?!

I always listen to the piano bar entries - just found myself with the time to let everyone know how terrific they are! Keep it up!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/10 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Pedies
BenPiano,

Loved your Bach piece. Very musically played which makes it very enjoyable to hear and watch.

By the way, I have the Roland model before yours came out, the Phantom X8 and I love it. The piano sound is amazing. Even though I finally have a real piano, I go back to the roland to play a lot.

-Pedies

thanks! I like the G8, but the piano patches aren't so good on it. I figured they made them bad on purpose so that the user would have to go out and buy the expansion (ARX for the G's). Alas, they don't even have one.

Oh well, I'll be getting a real piano sooner or later, and keep the Fantom around like you did (for nighttime practice). grin
Posted by: Augustina

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/03/10 01:04 AM

ah so I Finally can record videos on my phone, thought I'd try it out, anyways here is The Battle excerpts from one of my favorite movies Gladiator. I know I need to move the camera over a bit more, but like I said it was just a test to see how my video recording worked on my phone and uploading worked:)

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/03/10 08:38 AM

Augustina - I'm surprised at the huge sound you get from your keyboard - It fits this piece nicely.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/03/10 10:38 AM

Augustina ~ good recording of your keyboard with the new phone. I like the music combined with your instrument setting choice. Very excellent.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/03/10 10:54 AM

I loved that movie!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/04/10 10:40 AM

I loved it too!^_^
True Beginner somehow you seem to always be the very first one to post on the piano bar;) your song was very relaxing I enjoyed it a lot thanks:)

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/04/10 10:46 AM

Rickster I enjoyed listening to your new song, it was very well done,
David I might have to try To the Towers sometime nice job:)
BenPiano- I remember playing that song!:) nice job
Riddler- Interesting kind of bouncy ^_^
Studio Joe- another good song:)

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/04/10 01:25 PM

Augustina, I really enjoyed the "Gladiator" music! One of my favorite movies, too! And so cool that you phone records so well.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/04/10 09:00 PM

Studio Joe: Very nice piece!
Rickster: another enjoyable piece to listen too. You're so talented!
Riddler: That was fun to listen to thanks!
BenPiano: great playing!
Augustina: Very cool!

Here's one submission from me this month. I'm trying to do another piece too but I havent had anytime to play it:(
And no vid link for now. I always have to try to upload my vid on photobucket like 10 times before it goes through. Getting Kind of Annoying!
ANy other site that's good for uploading vids? I'm not brave enough to put them on youtube :P

It's the Lullaby from Pan's Labyrinth
mp3 link: http://www.box.net/shared/cpeo7g73en

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/04/10 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: ladypayne

ANy other site that's good for uploading vids? I'm not brave enough to put them on youtube :P

Oh, YT's not that bad. I think you could handle it! smile

This was really cool. I was listening, and thinking, "this is a lulliby?" It's has a sort of haunting feel to it, but sweetly haunting, if that's a good description.

Then read a little about the movie, so now I can understand it a little better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan%27s_Labyrinth

Thanks for sharing!
Posted by: AnotherSchmoe

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/04/10 11:45 PM

I've seen Pan's Labyrinth once and it is quite an odd movie. Most definitely haunting! I'm not really sure how I felt about it, it was pretty bizarre but it was certainly very interesting and kept my attention throughout, so I suppose that's a good thing. wink

Great playing ladypayne. I agree, you should be on YouTube! You'll get a lot more exposure that way and most of the people searching for piano videos are quite friendly and are just happy to hear other people making music, and most of them also play. smile

Edit:
Just another quick entry here, have been working on this the last couple of days and finally got my fingers to cooperate long enough to make a recording:
Final Fantasy VII - Ahead On Our Way

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/05/10 08:31 AM

Payne Very Pretty, AnotherSchmoe.. I love Final Fantasy!^_^ though I'm still the only one in the family who hasn't beaten the games;(

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/05/10 08:50 AM

BenPiano,
I always like Bach's Minuets, they sounds joyful and reflects childhood memory. And I think you played it well.

Agustina,
The video/audio is really good for a phone record. The organ sound fits well for this kind of tune, I like it.

Ladypayne,
The lullaby definitely sounds haunting, almost lamenting. It gave me chills.

AnotherSchmoe,
I heard several FF pieces but I really really love this one. I listened to it several times. It is very soothing and it has a sense of optimism and your playing is excellent and expressed it well. Off to find the music sheet now...

TB

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/05/10 02:15 PM

Ladypayne, I really enjoyed the lullaby from Pan's Labyrinth! I loved the movie.

AnotherSchmoe, verry nice! You really made the melody sing!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/05/10 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Augustina
Payne Very Pretty, AnotherSchmoe.. I love Final Fantasy!^_^ though I'm still the only one in the family who hasn't beaten the games;(

I've still only beaten FF7 and FF10. I first played FF7 probably 7-8 years ago but I never completed it, got stuck on the very last boss of all places (characters were too weak to beat him). Last year though I had to send my Xbox 360 out for repairs (it was gone for almost a month) and while it was gone I dusted the ol' Playstation off and played it again from start to finish and actually beat it. Great game! I had a similar situation with FF8, stuck on the last boss years ago. I still haven't gone back to that one though.

I also have FF1, FF2, FF4, Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross. Got stuck on the last boss in Chrono Trigger (need to replay that one some day too), but I beat Chrono Cross 3 times back in the early 2000's (wonderful game, loads of great music too). I haven't played FF1, FF2, or FF4 much yet though. Some day, perhaps. smile

Edit:
Another recording that I forgot to post... I actually recorded this about a day or two before the "Ahead On Our Way" one.
Chrono Cross - The Girl Who Stole The Stars

Just more video game music nostalgia from my early-teen days. grin

Also, I know in a lot of these I just play the piece twice, but I feel that a lot of these video game OST arrangements are a bit on the short side (often only coming it at around 80-90 seconds), and so I like to play them twice. Makes them last longer for when I'm listening to them in the background while surfing the web etc. In the games which they're from they often just played on loop in certain areas / during certain conversations and so forth. All of my recordings are one performance from beginning to end though, so I'm literally playing it twice in one sitting, not copying+pasting the second half. On the bright side, it's proven to be good practice for controlling my nerves while recording, it's a bit more stressful for me trying to make it through twice without too many mistakes so I have to try and stay focused a bit more and remain relaxed, fortunately the more I do it the easier it gets.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/05/10 11:09 PM

This is the last song for the month for me since I'll be going on vacation on Monday^_^

I finally got through this whole song with only messing up a few times ^_^, its not good enough for a video at the moment because I'm still practicing it, but here is what I have so far:) Oh there is a part at the end of the song where I am suppose to play it an Octave higher.. but my little keyboard doesn't have that many keys lol
I recorded this again with my phone because I think the audio sounds a little better then my poor camera...

In Un Altra Vita by Ludovico Einaudi

http://www.box.net/shared/hqtytdbuzv

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/06/10 12:42 PM

Soo.. Here's my first YT vid shocked
Guess I'll see how it goes. It sure did upload alot better than on photobucket though! :P

Song is Winter Light from Secret Garden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjl0ZNt4jY0

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/06/10 02:53 PM

That's a beautiful piece of music Ladypayne. I haven't heard it before. I like it and the way you play it.
Posted by: al-mahed

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/06/10 03:59 PM

Hi folks,

I'd like to share this small minuet I'm still learning/polishing. Easy, small and beautiful smile

BACH minuet in D minor - appendix 132

cheers
Posted by: GlassLove

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/06/10 05:28 PM

Excellent Job al-mahed. I agree that it is beautiful, but it doesn't sound very easy (at least to me). It is especially impressive given that you have only been playing since July 2009.
Posted by: Elssa

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/06/10 08:10 PM

I'm really enjoying all these great renditions here in the bar. smile Bill, I used to play that Muppet theme on the organ - just love what you did with it - so creative and fun to listen to. thumb

Well, I have to credit my cat, Gwen, for the ending with this one: grin

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/06/10 08:15 PM

Elssa,

Very enjoyable rendition of NY NY. Love the details you play it with.

Your cat is very talented too smile

-Peter

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/06/10 09:04 PM

Elssa that was great I especially loved the little ending your cat did. that extra little note even kind of fit with the song:)
Bill I loved the muppets song that you did as well^_^

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/06/10 09:35 PM

Elssa - I loved your New York New York - that tune always reminds me of drunk bridesmaids at weddings trying to do a line dance. I liked the addition of the rhythm section and especially the cat.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/06/10 10:55 PM

Wow Elssa that was pretty amazing! grin

Can't say I've been to New York (not yet anyways!) but I've always loved that tune, very fun. You play it like a champ! Love the cameo by your feline friend as well. smile

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 12:31 AM

Augustina - great job!

LadyPayne - Great first You Tube performance! I've never heard it before, but you played it with confidence.

al-mahed - That was great! good timing and confident playing.

Ellsa - haha- loved the cat. I'm assuming here that your cat is well trained and that was all rehearsed far in advance!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 01:10 AM

Hi Folks, this is another piece I'm learning - New Orleans Nightfall, Willian Gillock, sounds easy but in fact it is difficult, it is level 5 ABRSM, so it is beyond my skills, but I wanted a lot to play it so this is how it goes now, my first attempt!

Hope you excuse me for my insecurity one the performance.

New Orleans Nightfall

cheers

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 01:21 AM

Elssa, you are a good teacher, even a cat learn with you! smile

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 02:08 AM

Thanks, all! smile I don't usually use the rhythm unit on my DP, so was absorbed with trying to follow that when I noticed this little paw on the keyboard at the end of the song - I think her timing was purrfect! =^o^= Gueneviere (Gwen) says thanks, too. smile Well, she added an 11th tone to my ending 6/9 chord, so I think she probably knows more about jazz/improv than I do. grin

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 02:29 AM

Al-Mahed, just great with the Bach! Not too much polishing to do on this, sounds pretty perfect to me.

I loved NONF! You played this really well, there is definitely confidence there!

Elssa, another great one from you, I just love the way you play! (and your cat, too!) You sure that wasn't rehearsed?!
Posted by: joyoussong

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 09:53 AM

Al-Mahed, great job on both the Bach & the New Orleans Nightfall. & the NON is such a nice piece, & really challenging I bet.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:50 AM

Hi everybody, thank you Ben, CMohr, Glasslove, Joyoussong for the listening! Thank you for the far too kind comments.

The NONF in fact needs a lot of polishing smile

There is a certain mood on the piece I'm trying to achieve, it is like a lonely man after work, melancholyc, he walks through the streets looking at a full moon, yellow and big, the sky is still slightly blue where the sun goes down, it is a hot summer night, his fianceé left him, he walks a bit and suddenly he is passing in front of the entrance of a cabarée, watching the people having fun and drinking for a moment, he stops for a few seconds but walks way, after that he is back to the streets with deeper sadness and feel pathetic...

Is this making sense?

ps: my fianceé didn't left me smile
ps2: I don't attend cabarées laugh

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 11:20 AM

Actually it makes lots of sense al-mahed! I did listen too, really enjoyed it. smile

Sometimes it does help the mood and overall feel of a piece to think up a story behind it, to keep it all fresh and alive in our minds while we practice and play, and what a great one that is! I'm listening again after reading the background info you provided there (hehe) and it really fits perfectly, right down to the cabaret scene at 0:57! Keep up the great work!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 11:25 AM

Yes, it does make sense. & I found the book/CD package on Amazon & added it to my wish list.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 11:40 AM

al-mahed - I was not familiar with New Orleans Nightfall but found both the piece and your performance very enjoyable.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: CMohr
Elssa, another great one from you, I just love the way you play! (and your cat, too!) You sure that wasn't rehearsed?!

Gwen and I thank you for your kind comments. smile She's thinking now that she should be as famous as Nora. LOL! cool wink

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 01:22 PM

She certainly shows how little we understand about the way animals experience the world. By that I mean, she's obviously doing it because she likes the sound (I'm assuming there isn't an open can of tuna under the keys!) - it's intentional behaviour, not accidental. Who knows what her potential is??

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 04:14 PM

hahaha okay so I showed my older sister who doesn't play the piano your video Elssa and we were just laughing! that is great I love it:) My sister's cat always jumps up on the piano when we start playing, maybe its a cat thing:)

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 08:05 PM

Spring has finally sprung here in Maryland although most of my yard is still covered in snow. As our thoughts turn to the warm, sunny days ahead I'd like to add one of my favorite summer songs to the Piano Bar.

Posted by: TX-Dennis

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: TrueBeginner
Knock!knock! Nobody's here yet? So I will just sneak in the bar and play my newest piece. I hope I will not wake up the neighbor

Sorrow

TB

A lovely beginning to March. A nice composition, TB.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Rickster
Hi TB, and All!

I actually wrote two new songs recently. Here is one that I'll start with for my first presentation to the March PB. When I wrote this song, I thought about the people in Haiti or anywhere there is human suffering and need.

My playing and singing are not all that great, but the song has a good message.

I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGKVjXT0WaY

Rick

Excellent job, Rick!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: David Ruzicka
Hi everyone,
I see that this Piano bar started with original compositions which is quite fitting as I have something of my own to post too. It sounds a bit like Beethoven's Moonlight sonata but that was not my intention (at least not conscious one :-) ).

David Ruzicka - Into the Unknown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMGuj5B_-EU

Very beautiful, David. I can hear the resemblance to Moonlight.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:00 PM

oh, I forgot I have actually two pieces to post. The second one is from Czech musical. I guess that there's only a slim chance anybody in here will know this melody but believe me that in Czech Republic it is quite popular song (although it's almost 40 years old).

Karel Svoboda - To the Towers

Another beautiful piece. Great job, David.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Pedies
Hello, all.

I recently joined this site. I wanted to try to add something to this section as it looks like the place to share music.

I am a self-taught amateur. I have played on my own for quite a few years but decided to try to get better on July 2nd of 2009 as this is when my little girl was born. I want her to grow up in a home with music playing so that's what I'm working on.

Here is one of my favorite pieces played on my piano which I received 2 months ago (I played on keyboards before that).

Winston's arrangement of Ode to Joy is a favorite ofmine. You played it beautifully.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:06 PM

Bill, I remember this one. It's a really fun piece. Great to see / hear it again.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Studio Joe
I won't have time to make a recording this month but here is one from my archives.

Played with elec piano and midi tracked accompaniment.

Blue Velvet

-----------------------

Nice, Joe. I haven't heard this one in years. I kept waiting for you to start singing, though. grin

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:15 PM

Wow, all the submissions here are great!!! I'm really enjoying them all!

Thanks for the comments on my song writing, by-the-way!

I was going to save this one for next months piano bar, but what the heck.... we only have "happily ever after in the here and now"!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJOpykUZxIA

Take care,

Rick

Another really nice song, Rick. I enjoyed listening. We need to remember that our happiness is dictated less by our circumstances than by our reactions to them.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Riddler

My piece this month is called Cold Duck Time. Here I am using the Electric Piano voice on my Yamaha piano, for a funk sound. Drums and bass were on a backing track. This is kind of a catchy funky song - something different for me.

http://www.box.net/shared/htvqxczjby

Ed

Ed, that's a fun piece. I really enjoyed it. Is that an original of yours?

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: BenPiano
An old standard for us beginners. Enjoy! smile

Nice job, Ben. I always enjoy listening to that piece.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:25 PM

ah so I Finally can record videos on my phone, thought I'd try it out, anyways here is The Battle excerpts from one of my favorite movies Gladiator. I know I need to move the camera over a bit more, but like I said it was just a test to see how my video recording worked on my phone and uploading worked:)

Augustina, I haven't seen the movie (I rarely watch films), but that is a nice piece. I must say your playing on it is wonderful. Pretty good recording quality for a phone, too.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:28 PM

Studio Joe: Very nice piece!
Rickster: another enjoyable piece to listen too. You're so talented!
Riddler: That was fun to listen to thanks!
BenPiano: great playing!
Augustina: Very cool!

Here's one submission from me this month. I'm trying to do another piece too but I havent had anytime to play it:(
And no vid link for now. I always have to try to upload my vid on photobucket like 10 times before it goes through. Getting Kind of Annoying!

I'm not familiar with this piece, either. It is quite pretty, and you played it nicely.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: AnotherSchmoe
I've seen Pan's Labyrinth once and it is quite an odd movie. Most definitely haunting! I'm not really sure how I felt about it, it was pretty bizarre but it was certainly very interesting and kept my attention throughout, so I suppose that's a good thing. wink

Great playing ladypayne. I agree, you should be on YouTube! You'll get a lot more exposure that way and most of the people searching for piano videos are quite friendly and are just happy to hear other people making music, and most of them also play. smile

Edit:
Just another quick entry here, have been working on this the last couple of days and finally got my fingers to cooperate long enough to make a recording:
Final Fantasy VII - Ahead On Our Way

The Final Fantasy music seems to all be quite enchanting. I've never played the game, but I have enjoyed all the pieces folks have posted from it. This one is no exception. Well played and expressive, AnotherSchmoe.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:35 PM

I actually recorded this about a day or two before the "Ahead On Our Way" one.
Chrono Cross - The Girl Who Stole The Stars

Just more video game music nostalgia from my early-teen days. grin

Another pretty piece that is also new to me. Very nice.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:42 PM

This is the last song for the month for me since I'll be going on vacation on Monday^_^

I finally got through this whole song with only messing up a few times ^_^, its not good enough for a video at the moment because I'm still practicing it, but here is what I have so far:) Oh there is a part at the end of the song where I am suppose to play it an Octave higher.. but my little keyboard doesn't have that many keys lol
I recorded this again with my phone because I think the audio sounds a little better then my poor camera...

In Un Altra Vita by Ludovico Einaudi

http://www.box.net/shared/hqtytdbuzv

Nice job, Augustina. This one's not easy. You did a great job.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:46 PM

Soo.. Here's my first YT vid shocked
Guess I'll see how it goes. It sure did upload alot better than on photobucket though! :P

Song is Winter Light from Secret Garden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjl0ZNt4jY0

This one is new to me. It's quite a lovely piece, and you played it very well.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: al-mahed
Hi folks,

I'd like to share this small minuet I'm still learning/polishing. Easy, small and beautiful smile

BACH minuet in D minor - appendix 132

cheers

Excellent job!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Elssa
I'm really enjoying all these great renditions here in the bar. smile Bill, I used to play that Muppet theme on the organ - just love what you did with it - so creative and fun to listen to. thumb

Well, I have to credit my cat, Gwen, for the ending with this one: grin

Those little town blues are fading away . . . I like the way the cat gets in there at the end. Fun!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/10 10:53 PM

Spring has finally sprung here in Maryland although most of my yard is still covered in snow. As our thoughts turn to the warm, sunny days ahead I'd like to add one of my favorite summer songs to the Piano Bar.

Believe it or not, I'm not familiar with this one. I know most of the "old guy tunes" as you call them being an old guy myself, but this one escaped my notice until now. It's a nice tune, and as usual you did a great job with it.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/08/10 01:10 AM

B528 - I absolutely loved your "Under the Boardwalk"! It's one of my favorite summer tunes also - I really liked that you did a little slower rendition, made it more romantic. cool

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/08/10 02:17 AM

Another FF tune here, sorry I just really enjoy learning these. smile
Final Fantasy VII - Cid's Theme

This is a cool one, sounds pretty heroic. I just recorded it about an hour or two ago. There's a mistake near the end but I'm trying not to worry about it too much. help
Posted by: Rui725

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/08/10 03:14 AM

I bet Nora must have been thinking:

"I wish I had five fingers and a working thumb!"

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/08/10 07:50 AM

Rickster, I liked your original song - the message of course, and the singing and piano too. I always enjoy your contributions.

Dave, your origial piece does have a bit of the Moonlight feel to it, but that's a good thing. :-) I really enjoyed it.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/08/10 08:01 AM

Pedies, that was great playing. I'm not familiar with Winston's "Joy", but the underlying theme behind it is one of my favorites.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/08/10 08:06 AM

Bill, I really enjoyed your muppet/billy Joel "piano bar" piece. The lyrics made me smile, and the music made me want to dance. :-)

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/08/10 08:22 AM

AnotherSchmoe- really enjoyed your pieces this month. You have a wonderful touch and your playing is very expressive. The quality of your recordings is excellent.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/08/10 08:25 AM

ladypayne - Very nice. I'm glad you switched to YouTube for your videos.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/08/10 04:27 PM

Hi everyone,
In case you still didn't watch enough piano videos after all those wonderful submissions in this month, I've recorded two new pieces. And by "new" I mean "hundreds years old".

First one is Christian Petzold's Minuet in G Minor which is sometimes attributed to J.S.Bach. You know which minuet is it - the nice one from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach:

Christian Petzold - Minuet in G Minor (BWV Anh. 115):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAdTR5TlxAo

The second one is Daniel Steibelt's Adagio. BenPiano posted his interpretation of this piece to the Piano bar some time ago and I liked it very much. So much, actually, that I decided to learn this piece too. My piano teacher instructed me to play it much slower so I did but, unfortunately, on the DP it doesn't sound as good as on the acoustic. At least not in this tempo:

Daniel Gottlieb Steibelt - Adagio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlPFVUJbW0k

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/08/10 05:02 PM

David, those were both excellent! You have a really nice touch.

I'm curious about the very cool ceramics that you have displayed on your piano - are you the artist?

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/08/10 06:15 PM

David, those were both excellent! You have a really nice touch.

I'm curious about the very cool ceramics that you have displayed on your piano - are you the artist?

Thanks for your kind comment.

About the ceramics: All of those are work of my girlfriend. When she find out that I upload my piano videos on youtube, she started putting it there smile She's very talented in this kind of things and thanks to her my videos are little less boring smile

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/08/10 07:43 PM

Elssa: Very cute ending!
Bill: Loved it!
David: Very pretty smile

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/09/10 02:58 AM

More Final Fantasy goodness, recorded a few hours ago.
Final Fantasy VII - Tifa's Theme

Keep up the great work everyone! Love the submissions. smile

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/09/10 04:44 PM

Very pretty Anotherschmoe smile

Well Since I'm on spring break from school I seem to have extra time for playing piano yay! But I should really be doing my homework frown But I'd really rather play the piano.. piano is a bigger distraction from school than my computer nowadays lol.
Anyway here's another submission from me! Nice old Patriotic song from the usa. America the Beautiful

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/11/10 11:26 AM

hmm Well thought I'd save the piano bar from being inactive!! Yikes!

Here's another submission from me. It's a fancy little arrangement of Ode to Joy. Hope you enjoy! smile
http://www.box.net/shared/ukr3qran2s

ALso, the last several pieces I've uploaded have been arranged by Lorie Line including this one. I just discovered her last week! She's actually pretty cool and does a lot of fancy little arrangements of songs like this and most of them are about intermediate level. SHe has a few that are beginning level and some more advanced level sheets too. But She's got some pretty cool arrangements and you can check her out at her website. She has some downloads available as well. This one is actually referred to the hymm joyful joyful we adore thee on her list of downloads but it's still commonly known on the piano as Ode to Joy.

http://www.lorieline.com/
Posted by: TrapperJohn

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/11/10 03:03 PM

I'm a tad late getting to the Bar this month (been busy doing taxes cursing and trying to get the golf game tuned up for the approaching season yippie ) - and as you can imagine I'm quite thirsty, both for a couple of cold adult beverages and for a big chuck of the excellent music found here every month - so let me indulge:

TB - lovely, and yet sorrowful - as you intended.

Rickster - profound and poingent - continues the mood set by TB - nicely done (must be the only song title with two "throughs").

David - contemplative and continuing the somber mood in the Bar with "Into" - "Towers" starts the sweet climb to a better feeling - good job.

Pedies - very nicely done - much joy in that.

Bill - creative and entertaining thumb

Studio Joe - always liked this song - Bobby Vinton's version - nice playing.

Riddler - funky is right - funky and enjoyable - isn't Cold Duck a sparkling fruity wine of sorts?

More to follow...

JB

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/11/10 03:19 PM

ladypayne - A nice arrangement and performance of America the Beautiful.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/11/10 03:26 PM

David - enjoyed both of your submissions very much. Both of your pieces were short but packed with expression. Very nice!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/12/10 08:02 AM

More comments...

BenPiano - well played, but just a little too fast, maybe?

Here is a poem I wrote for you all! grin

Music is more than a universal language
It is a joy and a gift to help us manage
It helps relieve stress and sadness
It keeps us from the ravages of madness
I like to sing and I like to play
It calms my nerves and makes my day
Music is a blessing from above
It is like a gift of life or love
Keep it up, my ABF friends!
I hope to listen to you all again! thumb

Take care!

Rick

Not only a composer, singer and fine piano player
Our buddy Rickster is a budding poet too
Of his many talents revealing yet another layer
Eliciting much critical acclaim and nary a boo.

(Yea - I know what you're saying, but jealosy is such an ugly thing laugh )

Augustina - interesting piece nicely done.

AnotherSchmoe - very pretty piece excellently played - liked that a lot! Would consider playing it myself...

More to follow...

JF
Posted by: ten left thumbs

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/12/10 05:13 PM

.. keeps us from the ravages of madness!

Amen Rick!

I've been awful quiet and awful busy, but also spending a bit of time working on some material by Pete Friesen (aka Pete the Bean). This is based on his Five Stars (from Take the Lead 2), only I've messed it around a little, added a little solo of his at the end - and taken it up a 5th - as an exercise. Here's the result, my first March contribution:

http://www.box.net/shared/d1psezud2y

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/12/10 05:23 PM

Very nice TLT! That is smooth playing.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/12/10 06:28 PM

LADYPAYNE- I really enjoyed the arrangement of America the Beautiful and of Ode to Joy also! Your enthusiasm certainly shines through.

TLT- loved the 5 Stars! Nice touch.
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/12/10 10:55 PM

I just posted this one over on the David Nevue Easy Song thread, so I thought I might as well cross-list it here. I have been enjoying listening to all the submissions to the piano bar this month, and I've enjoyed the poetry-fest just as much. smile

This is "Waiting for the Sun," by Nevue. You can order the sheet music off his website, www.davidnevue.com. I don't know what was going on with the video and glaring light on this one--it must have been unusually sunny the day I recorded it. But since the piece is sun-related, I figured it was okay to leave it full of sunshine. smile

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/12/10 11:53 PM

TLT: That was very pretty!
Monica: I enjoyed that one also. Always fun to hear David Nevue smile

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs

That was really nice!

Was it my ears, or was there something faintly going on in the background toward the end? (a wandering dog, perhaps?)

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 02:26 AM

Monica - really nice evocative piece! The sunlight "glare" worked well, even if unintended.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 07:31 AM

al-mahed - good job on the Bach Minuet in D minor.

Elssa - fine playing on "New York" - perhaps a little more variety in camera angle?

Elssa - I loved your New York New York - that tune always reminds me of drunk bridesmaids at weddings trying to do a line dance.

Is this a frequently occuring, maybe required, wedding reception ritual these days (I assume you meant the reception and not the wedding itself laugh ) ? Sounds like a clip one would see on "America's Favorite Videos", where they all collapse into a messy heap on the dance floor - my goodness, what has become of womanly gentility and graciousness? shocked smile

more to follow...

JF

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 08:29 AM

TLT - Wow! Very nice tune. I love the full sound of your piano.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 08:35 AM

Monica - I liked this very much. Flawlessly played. Do you always memorize your pieces? Very impressive.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 12:24 PM

Hi All!

I’ve enjoyed the piano bar this month, a lot! (As usual!)

I actually recorded another new song I wrote this morning. I wrote it last night and recorded it this morning. It has a “country flair” to it and reminds me a little of the “George Jones” style. Who knows, maybe I’m really country at heart! grin

Anyway, I thought I’d share it here on the piano bar… the title of it is “Every time I think about you it makes me feel so young”.

It was early this morning when I recorded it, and I still had bags under my eyes! I’m glad I feel young, because I don’t think I look very young!! grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB5GrkXh_hU

I hope you all enjoy it!

Take care,

Rick

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 01:13 PM

that was great rick smile

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 01:47 PM

Rick, you are amazing! Great song! You definitely have some great inspiration, obvious in your composing. Wonderful.
Posted by: ten left thumbs

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 03:45 PM

Wow Rick that was amazing! thumb

I wish I could say, oh here's something I wrote this morning!

Thanks everyone for the comment on Pete's piece. It wasn't a dog, BenPiano, but there was a lot of creaking. It's either my piano stool or my sustain pedal that's making the creaking. I really must get that pedal tuned....

wink
Posted by: Larry B

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 03:49 PM

Great stuff this month! I've enjoyed listening - still catching up to the latest.

Here's my second "Bar" contribution. A work-in-progress, my attempt at Bruce Hornsby's instrumental Song D.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 06:56 PM

Larry - Very nice performance of this piece. I think you really have the range on this one!!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 07:16 PM

Larry - that was just too cool! Really nice playing. I love Bruce Hornsby, and you did him proud. smile

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 09:38 PM

This is a cool one, sounds pretty heroic. I just recorded it about an hour or two ago. There's a mistake near the end but I'm trying not to worry about it too much. help

Another nice performance and an interesting piece.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 09:44 PM

Hi everyone,
In case you still didn't watch enough piano videos after all those wonderful submissions in this month, I've recorded two new pieces. And by "new" I mean "hundreds years old".

First one is Christian Petzold's Minuet in G Minor which is sometimes attributed to J.S.Bach. You know which minuet is it - the nice one from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach:

The second one is Daniel Steibelt's Adagio. BenPiano posted his interpretation of this piece to the Piano bar some time ago and I liked it very much. So much, actually, that I decided to learn this piece too. My piano teacher instructed me to play it much slower so I did but, unfortunately, on the DP it doesn't sound as good as on the acoustic. At least not in this tempo:

David, I didn't recognize the name Petzold, but I recognize the piece. I always thought it was a Bach. Great job. By the way, what happened to your girlfriend's bird? Now you seem to have a new sculpture on your piano.

The Steibelt piece is beautiful and expertly played as well.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 09:56 PM

More Final Fantasy goodness, recorded a few hours ago.

Yet another FF piece. They all seem to be quite pretty. Great job as always.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 10:00 PM

Very pretty Anotherschmoe smile

Well Since I'm on spring break from school I seem to have extra time for playing piano yay! But I should really be doing my homework frown But I'd really rather play the piano.. piano is a bigger distraction from school than my computer nowadays lol.
Anyway here's another submission from me! Nice old Patriotic song from the usa. America the Beautiful

That's a pretty nice arrangement of America the Beautiful. I like that. Great job.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 10:06 PM

hmm Well thought I'd save the piano bar from being inactive!! Yikes!

Here's another submission from me. It's a fancy little arrangement of Ode to Joy. Hope you enjoy! smile
http://www.box.net/shared/ukr3qran2s

ALso, the last several pieces I've uploaded have been arranged by Lorie Line including this one. I just discovered her last week! She's actually pretty cool and does a lot of fancy little arrangements of songs like this and most of them are about intermediate level. SHe has a few that are beginning level and some more advanced level sheets too. But She's got some pretty cool arrangements and you can check her out at her website. She has some downloads available as well. This one is actually referred to the hymm joyful joyful we adore thee on her list of downloads but it's still commonly known on the piano as Ode to Joy.

http://www.lorieline.com/

I like this on, too. Thanks also for the tip on Lorie Line. I think I'll be purchasing some of her arrangements.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs

I've been awful quiet and awful busy, but also spending a bit of time working on some material by Pete Friesen (aka Pete the Bean). This is based on his Five Stars (from Take the Lead 2), only I've messed it around a little, added a little solo of his at the end - and taken it up a 5th - as an exercise. Here's the result, my first March contribution:

http://www.box.net/shared/d1psezud2y

That's quite a nice piece. I haven't heard this one before. Wonderful job.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
I just posted this one over on the David Nevue Easy Song thread, so I thought I might as well cross-list it here. I have been enjoying listening to all the submissions to the piano bar this month, and I've enjoyed the poetry-fest just as much. smile

This is "Waiting for the Sun," by Nevue. You can order the sheet music off his website, www.davidnevue.com. I don't know what was going on with the video and glaring light on this one--it must have been unusually sunny the day I recorded it. But since the piece is sun-related, I figured it was okay to leave it full of sunshine. smile

A wonderful performance, Monica. At least that sun was on your back rather than in your face. That would have been one tough performance.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 10:17 PM

Hi All!

I actually recorded another new song I wrote this morning. I wrote it last night and recorded it this morning. It has a “country flair” to it and reminds me a little of the “George Jones” style. Who knows, maybe I’m really country at heart! grin

Anyway, I thought I’d share it here on the piano bar… the title of it is “Every time I think about you it makes me feel so young”.

It was early this morning when I recorded it, and I still had bags under my eyes! I’m glad I feel young, because I don’t think I look very young!! grin

I hope you all enjoy it!

Take care,

Rick

That does sound a bit like something George Jones would have done. There's also just a hint of country gospel style in there too. I enjoyed listening Rick.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/10 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Larry B
Great stuff this month! I've enjoyed listening - still catching up to the latest.

Here's my second "Bar" contribution. A work-in-progress, my attempt at Bruce Hornsby's instrumental Song D.

Larry, that's superb. I love the piece, and I love your interpretation. I also love your piano, by the way. Beautiful!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/14/10 09:01 PM

I dont know how old Fragoso was when he wrote this, but he died at 21. I cant help but think of this young man and what he could have become when I play this piece. Enjoy!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/15/10 02:43 AM

That was lovely, Ben. I've never heard of Fragoso - when was the prelude written?
I really like your camera angle, too. Nice relaxed playing!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/15/10 10:20 AM

Monica - lovely rendition of the Nevue piece, as usual thumb - so that's an "easy" piece? Must be relatively speaking...

Larry B - good performance of Hornsby's "Song D" (clever title that - hope he didn't have to strain his brain too awfully hard to come up with that gem laugh ).

BenPiano - very interesting and listenable work by Fragoso - well done!

Dennis - very commendable job (on your extensive and encouraging reviews of this months - and every month's - Piano Bar pieces) - now, where's your musical contribution? smile

JF

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/15/10 10:28 AM

That was lovely, Ben. I've never heard of Fragoso - when was the prelude written?

Thanks! I had never heard of him either, but came across the piece on Cubus' You Tube channel.

Fragoso lived from 1897-1918, and entered Lisbon Conservatoire of music at 17, so it was most likely written 1914-1918.

He died of influenza 3 months after his final examination. frown

António Fragoso

ETA: thanks, John!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/16/10 07:25 AM

Hi everyone,
... I've recorded two new pieces.

David - very nice perfrmance of this lovely Minuet in g minor by Petzold - as it so happens I'm working on this piece myself at the moment (actually reviewing it, since I first studied it about a year ago) - I might submit my rendition of it next month here in the Bar if I get a decent recording.

I wasn't aware that this piece was also attributed to Bach instead of Petzold for some time, in addition to that other "Minuet in G Major", the more famous one that most beginners seem to play (I don't know it's BWV number, nor whether it should even have one since it's not a Bach composition) - you weren't perhaps thinking of that one were you?

JF

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/16/10 10:06 AM

Originally Posted By: John Frank

I wasn't aware that this piece was also attributed to Bach instead of Petzold for some time, in addition to that other "Minuet in G Major", the more famous one that most beginners seem to play (I don't know it's BWV number, nor whether it should even have one since it's not a Bach composition) - you weren't perhaps thinking of that one were you?

JF

The confusion arises because these are pieces from Bach's "Notebook for Anna Magdalena" (the second one).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notebook_for_Anna_Magdalena_Bach

Oh, and the other minuet you reference is BWV Anh. 114. The two are companion pieces.

Fascinating stuff. smile
Posted by: Larry Larson

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/16/10 10:43 PM

"tango memories"
http://www.box.net/shared/842nfrbb0z

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/16/10 11:18 PM

Pssst . . . Happy Birthday, Larry Larson!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/16/10 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BenPiano
I dont know how old Fragoso was when he wrote this, but he died at 21. I cant help but think of this young man and what he could have become when I play this piece. Enjoy!

Very pretty and well played. I had not heard of this composer, either.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/16/10 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Larry Larson

Shades of Linus and Lucy. That's good company to be in, Larry. This is really enjoyable. Great job. Hope your birthday has been pleasant and filled with family and friends.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/16/10 11:27 PM

Nice one, Larry - and happy birthday!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/17/10 12:18 AM

Thanks Ben and Dennis. I just recorded it tonight. Sometimes easy songs are hard to play. I've been practicing it for a month with pedal, and my teacher finally convinced me to do it without. So hard to be even and consistent in the LH with a repeated pattern. I wrote it Thanksgiving morning. The image I had in my mind was of an elderly Cuban couple, former tango dancers, now in wheelchairs, sitting quietly together remembering their dancing days. Then later that day at Thanksgiving dinner, I met a woman in a wheelchair who spoke a lot of how much she missed dancing! Very spooky. I didn't tell her about the song, I was afraid it might freak her out. I know it sure freaked me out!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/17/10 12:33 AM

Here's a short piece from an old Japanese drama, "kami-sama mou sukoshi dake" arranged the two main themes into one.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/17/10 01:16 AM

LARRY- nice "Tango"!
I listened before I read your story behind the music. You certainly got the flavor and feel in this piece. And that is kind of a freaky coincidence, but also very cool.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/17/10 01:22 AM

RUI725 - beautiful piece and arranging! And beautiful playing also, nice video - your movement it so nice and relaxed.
Did you learn this from sheet music or another method?

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/17/10 01:24 AM

This was actually my first ever attempt at transposing. I've been listening this for ages and thought it would be a great exercise. I tried a few searches for score but came out with no luck so i thought, what the heck, lets try some sad bastard music transposing. hahah.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/17/10 01:37 AM

Well, great job Rui! Thanks - I'm always impressed by people who can transcribe and/or compose. smile

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/17/10 01:58 AM

Well, great job Rui! Thanks - I'm always impressed by people who can transcribe and/or compose. smile

thanks =). Even though it was just a bunch of trial and error. haha

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/17/10 06:48 AM

Well, it's a blessing and a curse. It made me a lazy note reader. At my accordion lesson once when I was 8 I played the assigned song for my teacher, supposedly looking at the music. When I got done he said "That was very good, except that you played it in the wrong key! He had played it for me at the end of the previous lesson and evidently I learned it by ear, but accidentally transposed it in the process.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/17/10 07:57 AM

Larry - nice Tango - well done.

Originally Posted By: Rui725
Here's a short piece from an old Japanese drama, "kami-sama mou sukoshi dake" arranged the two main themes into one.

Rui - liked this arrangement - very nicely played. You're piano sounds good too.

JF

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/17/10 08:14 AM

Rui, that was beautiful. SInce you also play the violin, I could imagine a nice violin part to go with it.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/17/10 08:23 AM

Hi All!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB5GrkXh_hU

I hope you all enjoy it!

Take care,

Rick

Rick--very nice song. Don't worry about looking old, every time you smile it takes about 5 years off! Funny, I was just looking in the mirror first thing this morning and I thought "Boy, you look like crap!"

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/18/10 02:46 PM

Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750) was incredibly prolific, both in the number and variety of works he composed and the size of the family that he sired, or fathered. He had 20 children by two wives (7 with Maria Barbera and 13 with Anna Magdalena), only 10 of whom survived to adulthood.

Wilhelm Friedemann Bach (1710-1784) was the second child and first son of J.S. and Maria. He composed many works of his own and was outstanding at improvisation also.

Here are relatively simple Minuets by each from "Essential Keyboard Repertoire", Vol.1:

Minuet in G Major - J.S. Bach

Minuet in G Major - W.F. Bach

JF

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/10 07:56 AM

John Frank - Well played x 2. I enjoyed the snippet of music history as well.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/10 07:59 AM

Rui725 - Quite enjoyable. I also like the sound of your piano. I think the reverb/echo is a nice enhancement to this piece.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/10 08:08 AM

Rickster - In my opinion this is one of your best compositions and performances. I love how you put such feeling into your songs. Excellent.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/10 08:14 AM

Larry Larson - You seem to have Tango Memories completely "under your fingers" as they say. Well done.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/10 01:55 PM

Hey JF, REALLY nice playing on both minuets! Nice control, sounded perfect to me.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/10 05:40 PM

I really enjoyed the music, Rui, John, and Larry!! And, thanks for the complement, Bill!

And, Larry, I sent you a PM about your YT channel and gave you 5-stars on your YT vid!! I love your Baldwin grand!!

Here is a new song I wrote yesterday and recorded today. I seem to be making a habit of that, for better or worse! grin This is a little different style of music than I normally play. I think it is a cross between R&B and Contemporary (maybe?). Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is_k3Me4Sjo

Rick

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/10 06:18 PM

I'm really enjoying everybody's submissions - so creative and well played! thumb Well, my kitty did it again.. at the end of the song. grin

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/10 08:14 PM

RICK-you just made my day with your new song! smile I was having a difficult practice, got online, and here you have yet another wonderful song. Thanks.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/10 08:20 PM

ELSSA-your cat is uncanny with note selection. Nice song! Played beautifully as always.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/10 12:08 AM

Thanks, CMohr!

And Elssa, you are nothin' but good, and I mean really good!!!! thumb

Take care,

Rick

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/10 08:55 AM

Elssa - You are a Wonder - very nice.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/10 08:59 AM

Rickster - very good! Cool ending.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/10 01:58 PM

wow a lot of more submissions in already! I'll have to catch up on everyone =)

Here's a piano duet me and Augustina finally did! Its chopsticks. We might have to flip flop the camera around and redo it though. Augustina's part seems a little on the soft side to hear :)Hope you enjoy anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZH6Bx76zkc

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/10 02:30 PM

that was so cool!! I don't know if I've ever heard Chopsticks all the way through before, either. But you're right, I did have to listen harder for one of the parts.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/10 04:07 PM

Nice duet! You both are so lucky to have each other to play duets. Very enjoyable - you must be having a blast playing together!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/10 06:55 PM

I am soft, but hey today was the first time playing duets together in like 2 months. and going from the keyboard to a piano is kind of different:) it was a blast, we will put the song up again when we get faster^_^ I also have a lot of catching up to do. So far I love everyone's playing:P

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/10 09:44 PM

it is pretty fun doing duets! We always make fun of eachother when we make mistakes or laugh when we both make mistakes but we also like to hang out so it's a good way to hang out and have fun too! smile
Posted by: Byron S

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/21/10 03:45 PM

I'm still chugging away at humphries piano handbook. I'm still trying to figure out what "level" I might be at so I can get some other methods. Any thoughts appreciated. I'm still new at this, so technique suggestions are always welcome.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/21/10 06:55 PM

That is great, Byron! Your left-hand/right-hand coordination is going very well!

Keep it up!

Rick

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/21/10 07:00 PM

Just in case any of you may be bored this evening, you might enjoy this little Tokai demo... Then again, you may not. grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtZ9fvsrbas

The first part of the video is a little grainy but it gets better.

I hope you enjoy it (and, it ain't too boring grin)

Take care,

Rick

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/22/10 07:45 AM

I'm really enjoying everybody's submissions - so creative and well played! thumb Well, my kitty did it again.. at the end of the song. grin

Elsa, very nice rendition of this song. And the cat hitting the G at the end is classic! Hitting a G at the end and sustaining it a little was just perfect!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/22/10 07:47 AM

Hi everyone,

David, you did a great job on both of these. You've made amazing progress in just a year and a half!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlPFVUJbW0k

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/22/10 07:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Monica K.

Nice work Monica. And the sunlight hitting you hair was a nice touch! I just happened to play a little on a Mason & Hamlin A on Saturday and it was fantastic. I can see why you like your piano so much.
Posted by: lotal

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/22/10 08:56 AM

Legrand: What are you doing the rest of your life

This theme became a hymn qestion for my returning back to piano in 2008. Indeed, why so many years I wasted without my piano! Now I am 49, but did not finish even 2 grades of musical school since the age of 6.

Alex

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/22/10 09:37 AM

Originally Posted By: lotal

This theme became a hymn qestion for my returning back to piano in 2008. Indeed, why so many years I wasted without my piano! Now I am 49, but did not finish even 2 grades of musical school since the age of 6.

Alex

Alex

Alex, nice piece and you played it well. Welcome to the forum. Many of us share regrets that we waited so long to get back into piano. For some reason we were not ready until we were ready! You play very well considering you didn't study piano that long. Keep up the good work.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/22/10 02:23 PM

Beautiful playing, Alex! thumb Was that mostly your own arrangement?

Thanks all for kind comments. smile Yes, my kitty is quite "mewsical"! grin wink

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/22/10 03:55 PM

Picking up where I left off...there are so many wonderful pieces of music posted this month. My apologies if I've missed anyone, but it's been a pleasure watching/listening to each of you.

AnotherSchmoe - I like all those Final Fantasy pieces you've posted and the last one is the best! A good series of pieces. Chrono Cross is also very good. I'd not ever considered video game music until you brought these out.

Augustina - thanks for posting Ludovico Einaudi - I'd not heard this music until just recently.

Ladypayne - Song is Winter Light...a very pretty melody, well played! America the Beautiful and Ode to Joy were both very well-played. Chopsticks looked like the two of you had a great time with the duet.

Elssa - NY NY was fantastic and your cat has some natural talent there! And we have proof of this twice - with the Stevie Wonder tune. Love your playing.

al-mahed - New Orleans Nightfall and the Bach was very good. Confidence is high there.

Bill - As always, you come up with good music to accommodate your voice with Under the Boardwalk - a terrific rendition.

David - Into the Unknown is very good, The Steibelt Minuet and Petzold Adagio are very-well executed. You have been putting up some excellent pieces of music!

Byron - Humphries Unit 4 - you are doing very well. Keep practicing, playing, and posting.

TLT - That Pete the Bean music (Five Stars) was very well-done, indeed. You do have quite a variety of music under your fingers!

Monica - Very much enjoyed your David Nevue piece, Waiting for the Sun.

Rickster - I enjoyed your "Every Time" music theme. I can hear the smile your voice, such a poet!

Larry B - You make that Bruce Hornsby piece come alive - most excellent - Bravo!! First time I've heard that one.

BenPiano - way to go on the Fragoso Prelude IV. You have a very relaxed way of playing.

Larry Larson - your Tango Memories was fantastic! I like the fact you have an idea or an image in your mind that will not escape you until you've written a piece. You are such a talent!

Rui - Your rendition of kami-sama mou sukoshi dake was wonderful. Please post more music!

John Frank - I like the compare/contrast of JS and WF Bach's G Maj Minuets. Well-done, mate. I suspect you have many more pieces under your fingers to share???

lotal - Alex, I very much enjoy Michele Legrand and you do his music justice. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful piece of music. Welcome to the Piano Bar - keep posting your music!

Glen

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/22/10 06:22 PM

Byron, very well played! I think you certainly have the notes "under your fingers", and nice and smooth also.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/22/10 06:24 PM

Rick, not boring at all. You are a man of MANY talents! Very interesting. (I would never in my life try to fine tune my old piano, I know I'd break a string!)

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/22/10 06:29 PM

lotal - Marvelous arrangement and playing of "What are You Doing.."! Really well done. I too am interested if this is your own arrangement - I enjoyed it immensely!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/22/10 07:31 PM

Bill, sorry it took me so long to get around to listening to this. I think it's great, and would be a perfect anthem for the bar.
Posted by: Riddler

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/22/10 11:33 PM

Benpiano - excellent performance on the Bach piece, and very enjoyable. I always like to watch these videos with close-ups of hands - - it's interesting to see proper fingering because it always looks effortless!

Augustina - your version of Gladiator sounded like a full orchestra! Well done.

Ladypayne - good job, very pretty lullabye!

AnotherSchmoe - beautifully played! Very steady, but with lots of expression. You have really mastered FF!

Al-mahed - you have really captured the joy in that Minuet! Well done.

Elssa - both songs - very enjoyable. Classy descending arpeggios! You always play cool endings, but these were special! Cats always have the last word!

Bill - another excellent performance! That song is new to me but very cool.

TLT - good work on the 5 Stars piece. Very smooth.

Monica - very nicely done. (You can thank me for resisting all temptations to make puns about the bright sunlight.)

Rui - that was beautiful! Your playing is very graceful and melodic.

John Frank - played as usual with your patented enthusiasm and feeling - both pieces! Well done. Also, I like your mini lessons!

Byron - well done. I don't know anything about levels, but I certainly think you are doing well.

Alex - beautiful! Hope you are going to keep playing for the rest of your life!
Posted by: lotal

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/23/10 12:01 AM

Thank you all for kind and supportive words, which make me wishing to work further and harder on piano mastering.

Beautiful playing, Alex! thumb Was that mostly your own arrangement?

lotal - Marvelous arrangement and playing of "What are You Doing.."! Really well done. I too am interested if this is your own arrangement - I enjoyed it immensely!

As for arrangement. I have Bob Mace's midi file of live playing, which I printed out and learned from the score (arbitrary measure positions and all the strange note positions and duruations :)). So, in its base that is Bob's arrangement, although, naturally, I shifted many accents and changed some notes.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/23/10 12:15 AM

Larry: That was a nice little tune thanks for putting that up
Rui: that was pretty! I enjoyed that thanks
John: That was kind of neat listening to both arrangements
Rick: Very nice! Great job singing and playing as always smile
Elssa: Very nice also!
Byron: That was a nice piece of work. You're doing just fine smile
Ricki: Interesting video!
Lotal: That was a wonderful hymn.Thanks for sharing that smile

I hope I didn't forget anybody but I've enjoyed the piano bar so far this month smile

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/23/10 01:49 AM

Those were great! I really like a lot of the FF music I've heard. I used to play the games, but life got busy. I always thought I'd get back into gaming when life slowed down, but now all of my newly discovered "free" time is mysteriously taken up by something new. Hmmmmm grin

Originally Posted By: John Frank
Here are relatively simple Minuets by each from "Essential Keyboard Repertoire", Vol.1:

Minuet in G Major - J.S. Bach

Minuet in G Major - W.F. Bach

JF

JF, thanks for these. I really love the Baroque period, and always enjoy listening!

Lotal, that was beautiful! I can hear now why you wanted to start up again with piano. Looking forward to more.

And thanks again all for your nice comments! I've been diligently preparing for April's bar with an "easy" Beethoven piece and something from Benda.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/23/10 07:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Inlanding

John Frank - I like the compare/contrast of JS and WF Bach's G Maj Minuets. Well-done, mate.

Glen

Thanks Glen...but, mate? At first I thought you had to be from Australia, and then I saw you are from far western Australia (aka, Colorado laugh ).

JF

P.S. Also, thanks to all others for your kind comments.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/10 08:15 AM

"sultry" http://www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano#p/a

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/10 09:03 AM

Sure loved that one Larry.
Also sure wish you also posted with mp3 to download.
Thanks,
Richard

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/10 10:27 AM

"new in town" http://www.youtube.com/user/LarryLarsonPiano?feature=mhw4#p/u/0/dCMXNWn1Lkc

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/10 11:25 AM

Larry,
New in Town and Sultry are fantastic! You have been busy - thanks for those pieces. Great tempo and upbeat style.

Here are a few contributions for the March Piano Bar.

Glen

Cm-Blooze
http://www.box.net/shared/bl7v66o2gu

Love is Here to Stay
http://www.box.net/shared/ld76nlztm9

Folk Piano
http://www.box.net/shared/z5ruu1ovol

Gm Piece
http://www.box.net/shared/b69yr4f9sd

Major Minor
http://www.box.net/shared/dbcriych5g

Bflat-min
http://www.box.net/shared/f2kgd7puiq

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/10 12:03 PM

Larry... I enjoyed your compositions, as always!! Love your piano!

Inlanding… I like your jazz style! I enjoyed your recordings.

Bill… that was great! You ought to be on TV!! Wait, you are on TV on YT!!

Elsa… your recordings are always great! I’m thinking of purchasing one of your training CD’s!

I’ve enjoyed all the presentations this month!

Take care,

Rick

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/10 12:43 PM

Larry that was very bouncy! I liked it smile
Inlanding: I enjoyed your pieces very much as well!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/10 05:15 PM

LARRY-Loved the exotic flavor on "Sultry"! And I really enjoyed the bold chromatic movement on "New in Town".

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/10 05:22 PM

A while back I think it was Monica that posted instructions on how to get the YouTube link to show up with a frame of the video like b528nf7, Ellsa, Monica and RIckster's do instead of just the link. I searched but couldn't find it. Does anyone know where that post is, or maybe just post how to do it? thank you.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/10 05:37 PM

Okay, Larry, Monica is a lot smarter than I am, but I'll try to help you... go to the "full reply screen".... at the top, click on the icon that looks like a small TV screen that says "media tag"... a drop down window will display and one says "you tube video"... click on that and post the web address of the YT video you want to display in the appropriate block. It won't show up as the actual YT video display until you either submit it or click "preview reply".

Hope this helps!

Rick

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/10 05:59 PM

GLEN - I really enjoy your submissions, nice variety. Amazing variety, actually! The Gm piece - very tasty.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/10 06:15 PM

thank you Rickster, that looks easy enough!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/10 06:19 PM

INLANDING-- very nice, I don't know how you do your magic. Cm Blooze was my favorite. It would take me weeks to do what you you do in minutes.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/10 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Loves Pugs Too
Sure loved that one Larry.
Also sure wish you also posted with mp3 to download.
Thanks,
Richard

thank you Richard. Here's the MP3 http://www.box.net/shared/6zcz73vdus

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/10 07:39 PM

OOOOOOOOOOO!

Thank you Larry, it is already on my ipod - you're a "must" listen to, very kind of you.
Thanks again,
Richard

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/25/10 01:30 AM

Glen, love your blues style. Like a bluesy-jazzy blend, call it blazz?. Still love it. smile

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/26/10 12:41 AM

Thanks, Glen. smile I just love your whimsical, creative style.. "Love is Here to Stay" was my favorite, but they were all great! thumb

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/26/10 01:07 AM

A while back I think it was Monica that posted instructions on how to get the YouTube link to show up with a frame of the video like b528nf7, Ellsa, Monica and RIckster's do instead of just the link. I searched but couldn't find it. Does anyone know where that post is, or maybe just post how to do it? thank you.

Hi Larry,

I'm probably the poorest excuse for a computer expert you'll ever find, but here's what someone told me to do - I think - for the YouTube link:

Switch to Full Reply Screen, click TV Screen icon (Enter a Media Tag), Choose "YouTube Video", Click yellow bar on top to "allow scripted windows", click "temporarily allow scripted windows", click "YouTube Video" icon again, and the "YouTube Video" choice that pops up, put in the URL code from YouTube on top (not Embed code).

Would love to see your videos. smile I'm sure Monica's instructions are much better.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/26/10 09:50 AM

Thanks Ellsa and Rickster. But... after I choose "YouTube Video", there is no yellow bar to allow scripted windows. All I've got is the option to choose UBB or HTML or both, nothing about scripted windows.

If it matters, I using a brand new Apple MacBook Pro and using Safari as the browser.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/26/10 10:34 AM

Elssa ~ I really liked your rendition of, It Had to Be You. It's been a long time since I've heard that!

Also...Thanks to Rick, Ladypayne, CMohr, Larry, Ben, Elssa for your comments and encouragement!

Here are a few more to digest. I've been working on 43 1 for awhile and mistakes keep popping up, especially when a recording is made - that crazy red light...Two more standards (metronome needed) and an improv. Hope you like 'em.

43 1
http://www.box.net/shared/hyuboaj34m

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
http://www.box.net/shared/psucqdzzfl

Spring is Here
http://www.box.net/shared/4e3aceaae2

Marmalade
http://www.box.net/shared/13hlgh28fx

Now...all this talk about YouTube videos has piqued my interest. I suppose all that is needed is a YouTube account, a video camera and nerves of steel? My PC is ancient, which means an upgrade is in order because it will not edit video/audio files. Anything else I should consider? Editing software of some sort so I can combine an audio file with the video file?

Glen

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/26/10 10:40 AM

Larry switch to full reply. Then click on the little blue square to open the video embed dialogue. Select YouTube Video.

Then go to your youtube video and copy the URI.

Then paste the URI into the box on the dialogue.

Click OK and then Submit.

Voila!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/26/10 10:42 AM

Sorry for the OT video, but it's the only youtube video I have ever uploaded. grin

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/26/10 11:30 AM

Thanks Dennis, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I needed to copy and paste the embed thing instead of the URL on the video page. Here goes... "blue smoke" [video:youtube][/video] I think this is the first one where I got my camera to pick up the audio from the external mics running through my digital recorder/amp. The piano is too dark, but at least I don't look like an albino as in the other ones in my channel. One of these days I'll get all this stuff right! Maybe the dark goes with the atmosphere of the piece.. This baby has some weird chords in it, I have no idea where they came from or what they are. My teacher is making me learn theory so I can be more savant and less idiot. (Just now when I googled "idiot savant" I spelled idiot wrong!) Thanks to all of you who helped me figure this YouTube stuff out.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/26/10 11:50 AM

Looks like you figured it out, Larry!

I enjoyed your video's!! You are very talented and your music is very original and unique!! I like that!

Keep it up!!

Rick (AKA Georgia Slim:-)

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/26/10 12:32 PM

Glen, very nice work. So you wrote 43 1? If so, this is a new style for you. Very good.

As far as the YouTube stuff, it's not hard, it only took me a week and lots of help from patient forum members for me to get it figured out! You don't need to mess with editing unless you're really picky about the audio quality. It also allows you to cut and paste sections of songs. But if you get a decent camera, the audio should be just fine. And it's nice to have one into which you can plug external mics. Plenty of folks are just using the camera mics, and it sounds pretty good.

One benefit of recording for YouTube is that the feeling you get while recording is just like what it feels like to play for people, so it's good practice if you ever want to perform in public, which in your case you should definitely consider.

If you don't want to do editing you may be able to get by with your current computer. It's worth a try anyway, but you may have storage issues and problems with processor speed.

So, get with it, my friend. You have such exceptional talent and such an incredible piano that I'm anxious to see some videos!

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/26/10 12:52 PM

Blue Smoke is a wonderful composition, Larry. Love it! No doubt you have more to add to your channel?

Thanks for the comments and kind words of encouragement, Larry.

No, 43 1 is the only thing I recognize on the sheet music. The rest is in Russian. I have a piano lesson next week with my Russian teacher and I should get all the low-down on who composed it, etc. Maybe by then, I can get it up to a better tempo with no errors...all this before the investment into a video camera!

Glen

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/26/10 01:03 PM

Blue Smoke is a wonderful composition, Larry. Love it! No doubt you have more to add to your channel?

Thanks Glen, glad you like it.

As far as songs on my channel goes: 7 down, 52 to go.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/27/10 10:17 AM

well I did this earlier today just for fun:) Hungarian Dances no. 5 J.Brahms.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/27/10 01:25 PM

Elssa ~ I really liked your rendition of, It Had to Be You. It's been a long time since I've heard that!

Now...all this talk about YouTube videos has piqued my interest. I suppose all that is needed is a YouTube account, a video camera and nerves of steel? My PC is ancient, which means an upgrade is in order because it will not edit video/audio files. Anything else I should consider? Editing software of some sort so I can combine an audio file with the video file?

It's really a lot of fun. thumb I'm just using a little Canon PowerShot A550 (about $100.00 new at Ebay), and I was so amazed at its wonderful audio as well as video quality. For editing, you might have Windows Movie Maker in your computer. I use Pinnacle Studio 12, and they have a free version called VideoSpin that's also very good. Would love to see/hear your videos, too! I don't find the video making any more nervewracking than the plain audio recording - same old red-light syndrome. eek laugh

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/29/10 09:22 PM

Inlanding (Glen) - I listened to all of your pieces and really enjoyed them. I especially liked Love is Here to Stay and the bluesy feel of GM Piece.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/29/10 11:03 PM

As I usually do toward the end of a month, I have given up on trying to post comments on every piece. I have become overwhelmed by everyone's voluminous output. I have listened to each, and I enjoy and appreciate every contribution to this month's bar.

Re: March Piano Bar - 03/30/10 09:43 AM

Rui725 I loved the Japanese song it was really pretty
Ben Piano that was very good:)
David Minuet in G minor was pretty, good job^_^
Larry Tango Memories was interesting kind of bouncy:)
Rickster I loved it:)
John Frank Minuet in G by Bach was another good song;P
the one by WF Bach was also good I enjoyed both of them
Rickster My love belongs to you, I loved that smile in the beginning, you always seem to have a lot of fun playing the piano and singing:)
Byron very good;)
Lotal for not finishing 2 grades of music since age 6 that was very good Ienjoyed it a lot.
Larry great playing!^_^ loved new in town and Sultry
Glen, liked the different songs you played;P
Elssa I love your playing:P

okay I think I got everyone:) if not well I did listen to all of the songs here this month and love them all^_^