Anybody a Ragtime fan

Posted by: Egel

Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/25/10 07:00 PM

I have a huge interest in Ragtime, old time piano, 2 steps, cakewalks etc.

Just curious if anybody else has this adiction and struggling through trying to learn piano via this path.

Would also be interested if anybody has favourite websites with sheet music and midi files from this era. Most of it would well and trully be out of copyright now and I would like to collect as much as I can.

I have found that playing midi files via the input to my digital piano is a fantastic way to get the feel of a tune and helps in learning. The only problem is the temptation to let the midi file do all the hard work and just enjoy listening to the tunes.

I have also found that depending on how the midi file is written it is possible to turn off one track at a time and play along with either the left or right hand to learn that part.

I guess this is one of the pros to having a digital piano. No, I don't want to start a discussion on digital versus acoustic. I would love an acoustic piano, it is just not practical at the moment. Oneday!
Posted by: al-mahed

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/25/10 10:52 PM

Hi Egel, I'm learning Scott Joplin's Swipesy. It's a very simple rag, but with a "cute" melody.

You should try it.

cheers
Posted by: CMohr

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/25/10 11:03 PM

Egel, have you looked at IMSLP? You can download free Joplin music there. And just about any other composer's music you can think of.(Except music still under copyright).

I printed up many Joplin pieces from this website.

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/25/10 11:10 PM

Listening to a downloaded midi of the song right now. I will look up the sheet music later.

Thanks

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/25/10 11:11 PM

Excellent, wasn't aware of this site.

Thanks, I will have a look around.
Posted by: Mr Super-Hunky

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/25/10 11:13 PM

I like "honky-tonk" type music. Not sure if that is considered ragtime or not. something about *drumming* the out of tune keys saloon style could be really fun. It must not be easy though.
Posted by: dannylux

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/25/10 11:18 PM

Midi files:

http://www.ragtimemusic.com/links.html

Scores to download:

http://www.ragtimepiano.ca/index.htm

For a list of additional online links:

http://www.ragtimepiano.ca/sources.htm

Mel

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/25/10 11:19 PM

I also like Honky Tonk.

Have you ever noticed in the old western movies that the piano player is always bullet proof, he always seems to keep playing whilst the rest of the saloon is brawling.

Perhaps I have noticed because of my interest in piano. I guess most of the audience is watching the rest of the action. Alawys gave me a bit of a giggle.
Posted by: Mr Super-Hunky

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/25/10 11:24 PM

Yeah and the saloon honky tonk player not only does'nt get shot but usually gets free drinks and hooks up with any leftover frisky women at the end of the night!

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/25/10 11:28 PM

That's it settled, I am taking up saloon playing.
Posted by: CebuKid

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/26/10 06:28 AM

Count me in, Egel. I am obsessed with Scott Joplin's works. smile
Posted by: Undone

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/26/10 07:33 AM

I'm a big fan too. Another great site to check out is "Perfessor Bill's": http://www.perfessorbill.com/sources1.shtml

Undone
Posted by: joyoussong

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/26/10 12:34 PM

+1! thumb
Posted by: Elssa

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/26/10 01:07 PM

Joplin's my favorite, but I enjoy all ragtime & honky-tonk styles! grin

Remembering You (closing theme from "All in the Family"):
This would probably sound better played on an old upright piano. I couldn't find an arrangement of this other than simple lead sheet, so made up my own. smile

Posted by: Always Wanted to Play Piano

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/26/10 01:47 PM

I am. It's just very difficult music for me to play, that's all.
Posted by: Chris G

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/26/10 09:10 PM

I'm a fan of ragtime also. It's great music to play at parties - everyone seems to like it. It's also very forgiving of pianos which are not perfectly tuned.

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/26/10 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: al-mahed
Hi Egel, I'm learning Scott Joplin's Swipesy. It's a very simple rag, but with a "cute" melody.

You should try it.

cheers

al-mahed, that's great! I'm glad you decided to take this one on. smile I'm looking forward to your performance.

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/26/10 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: CebuKid

You should try it.

cheers

al-mahed, that's great! I'm glad you decided to take this one on. smile I'm looking forward to your performance.

Me too, lets see how long will take to master it thumb
Posted by: hv

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/27/10 06:22 PM

Hi, Egel. Here's a link to my site with ragtime midi files mostly of my wife Sue playing: http://www.rtpress.com/titles.htm But there are a few recordings of Eubie Blake playing too. Unfortunately, they're just straight up midi recordings of her playing and the hands are not split into tracks.

A late friend, John Roche used to do that, however. http://www.johnroachemusic.com/ He only had use of one hand in his later years.

I believe Warren Trachtman and Bill Edwards also sequenced that way. To get a stereo midi playback effect with the original Soundblaster audio card. Perfessor Bill's site is linked above and his midi's are mostly his own performances. Here's Warren's site which has allot of his ragtime piano-roll to midi conversions: http://www.trachtman.org/ragtime/

Howard

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/28/10 05:45 PM

Thanks everybody.

Quite a few links to look at.

For those who find ragtime hard, I too have struggled with most of it too. I have had success only through perseverance due to my love for this kind of music. It is not easy, but there again neither is playing the piano in general, otherwise everybody could do it.

I find that listening to a midi of the song before attempting it helps. I then break it down into small parts and persevere until it comes together.

I have only been playing again for about 12mths after a 30 yr break and I am guessing it will take me another 30 yrs to master.
Posted by: ß .

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/28/10 07:12 PM

i'm gonna save this in my post history for future reference.

thumb

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/28/10 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Egel
Thanks everybody.

Quite a few links to look at.

For those who find ragtime hard, I too have struggled with most of it too. I have had success only through perseverance due to my love for this kind of music. It is not easy, but there again neither is playing the piano in general, otherwise everybody could do it.

I find that listening to a midi of the song before attempting it helps. I then break it down into small parts and persevere until it comes together.

I have only been playing again for about 12mths after a 30 yr break and I am guessing it will take me another 30 yrs to master.

Hopefully you will get there quicker than that. I was taught to work on the left hand first before trying to learn the right hand and that makes sense because the left hand holds the key to playing at a steady tempo.

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/30/10 10:16 PM

I'm excited with this rag, things are working so far, it is so difficult to me, I'm spending all me avaiable playing time to study this piece for a week by now! The octaves, the 5th finger "landing" on the black keys... I'm almost done with the first part (the first repetition), but now that I'm learning the second one I can see I'm still far away...

Cebukid, there are so many nice rags that are not from Joplin, find in youtube a guy called BachScholar, he recorded a lot of nice rags from other composers.

Check it out (Egel too, and all fans of ragtime):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-u3nja4OGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys3Sc8CEacM

cheers

You should try it.

cheers

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/31/10 06:18 PM

I'm excited with this rag, things are working so far, it is so difficult to me, I'm spending all me avaiable playing time to study this piece for a week by now! The octaves, the 5th finger "landing" on the black keys... I'm almost done with the first part (the first repetition), but now that I'm learning the second one I can see I'm still far away...

Cebukid, there are so many nice rags that are not from Joplin, find in youtube a guy called BachScholar, he recorded a lot of nice rags from other composers.

Check it out (Egel too, and all fans of ragtime):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-u3nja4OGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys3Sc8CEacM

cheers

You should try it.

cheers

al-mahed, yes I'm familiar with the works of James Lamb and other ragtime composers. I haven't been playing (as a grownup) too long, so I haven't had a chance to tackle others' works yet, although I enjoy listening to other rags very much!

..and yes, I'm familiar with B-Scholar's playing. He's a very good, classically trained player of ragtime.

Also, I've started Maple Leaf Rag! It'll be my fourth Joplin piece. I don't find the first strain difficult at all actually. smile I'm just dabbling with it for now, because I'll be taking on Chopin Op. 9/2 pretty soon.

Good luck with Swipsey. You'll find that each Joplin piece is a different learning experience, and once you've played one, you won't be afraid to take on others.

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/31/10 08:29 PM

Swipesy is a great rag and it's one of the 8 or so rags that I play. The parts which were hardest for me to learn were the last four measures of the third section and to a lesser extent measures 7 and 8 of the first section.

The first measure of the second section requires threading your fingers between the black keys to hit white keys. My fingers can squeeze through on my piano but if I play it on other pianos I sometimes find my fingers have a hard time fitting between two black keys.

Maple Leaf rag is a tough one, I work on it from time to time as a background project but I still have a long way to go till it sounds good.
Posted by: Piano World

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/31/10 08:39 PM

In Oct. 2009 we had a wonderful Piano Forums Piano Party on Cape Cod. 5 houses, 5 pianos, over 3 days.

One of our new guests was Sue Keller, a well known and respected ragtime pianist and entertainer.

You can view some pictures of the party here...
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1221179/5.html

The next page has a list of MP3 recordings compiled by Sue's husband while we all took turns playing the pianos.

Pretty much anything that says Sue Keller will be ragtime, and very well done.

I enjoy ragtime myself, but I'm pretty much limited to Billy Joel's Root Beer Rag.

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/31/10 09:49 PM

Hi Chris, this is exactly how I feel. The 7-8 measures of the first section gave me more trouble, but the most difficult part until now is the second section because of what you already said and specialy because measures 5 and 6, have to fly the hand and land the 5th finger at F# at measure 5 and do the octaves.

Oh, the 15th and 16th measures of the first section are giving me a hard time too.

The thing is difficult, and I hope the other section go more easly smile

cheers

Originally Posted By: Chris G
Swipesy is a great rag and it's one of the 8 or so rags that I play. The parts which were hardest for me to learn were the last four measures of the third section and to a lesser extent measures 7 and 8 of the first section.

The first measure of the second section requires threading your fingers between the black keys to hit white keys. My fingers can squeeze through on my piano but if I play it on other pianos I sometimes find my fingers have a hard time fitting between two black keys.

Maple Leaf rag is a tough one, I work on it from time to time as a background project but I still have a long way to go till it sounds good.

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/31/10 09:54 PM

Cheers Frank, thank you for let us know about it!

Originally Posted By: Piano World
In Oct. 2009 we had a wonderful Piano Forums Piano Party on Cape Cod. 5 houses, 5 pianos, over 3 days.

One of our new guests was Sue Keller, a well known and respected ragtime pianist and entertainer.

You can view some pictures of the party here...
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1221179/5.html

The next page has a list of MP3 recordings compiled by Sue's husband while we all took turns playing the pianos.

Pretty much anything that says Sue Keller will be ragtime, and very well done.

I enjoy ragtime myself, but I'm pretty much limited to Billy Joel's Root Beer Rag.

Posted by: Knit Knots

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 03/31/10 10:08 PM

I'm a huge Joplin fan. I've tried to listen to other of Joplin's contemporaries, but they dont compare to Joplin. William Bolcom composed a few really good ragtime pieces also.

Playing ragtime is a whole different story though.
Posted by: SpencerF

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/01/10 02:20 AM

Just curious if anybody else has this adiction and struggling through trying to learn piano via this path.

Would also be interested if anybody has favourite websites with sheet music.

As to the first question. Since easy ragtime is difficult to find. I would work on things like Strauss waltzes and polkas since you can find easier versions of those and the playing style is kind of similar.

I also love ragtime and that is how i worked my way up to it.

My main issue with ragtime is joplin is actually not my favorite even though his music got me into it.

Because of this my favorite site for rags is at the university of colorado.

http://ucblibraries.colorado.edu/cgi-bin/sheetmusic.pl?Rag&titlepages&1

this collection is extremely large but it is all in the public domain which means that the collection ends at 1914 (so many years before they posted it all) and the pieces that would have had their copyrights renewed because they are popular (most of Joplin's stuff) will not be found there.

The other nice thing is that a lot of the less popular rags are easier so you can eventually work up to the really hard eubie blake and joplin stuff
Posted by: jotur

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/01/10 02:32 AM

SpencerF - thanks for the link!

Cathy
Posted by: keyboardklutz

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/01/10 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: SpencerF
Because of this my favorite site for rags is at the university of colorado.

http://ucblibraries.colorado.edu/cgi-bin/sheetmusic.pl?Rag&titlepages&1
Yeh, thanks for that. I'll have to play through some when I've the time.

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/01/10 02:59 AM

Yeah you are welcome! just keep in mind that a lot of that stuff is pretty offensive. Gives you a real taste as to what the culture was actually like. No reason to censor history from sensible adults though.

But it is an amazing collection. I am working on printing every piece out. It's taking me a while...mostly just finding the time to download and save each picture takes forever.

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/01/10 03:04 AM

I hope your library will be open to the public! I tend to turn my screen sideways and sightread from there. You can get through lots.

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/01/10 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
I hope your library will be open to the public! I tend to turn my screen sideways and sightread from there. You can get through lots.

Wow that sounds...hard and awkward.

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/01/10 03:12 AM

I also turn the image sideways!

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/01/10 03:43 AM

lol, still it seems like it would be awkward to play from a computer screen. Maybe not though, i have never tried it. Though i don't think it's possible with an upright grand.

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/01/10 03:52 AM

I use this reading through method on my DP or clavichord. Balancing a screen on an upright could have its difficulties.

What the hell, I'm not doing a lot, I'll start now. Suggestions?

Aggravation Rag is quite professional. I'm not sure you need so many Ab's in A minor. Surely G#'s make more sense?

Bit of a pain they're single images and not pdf's.

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/01/10 05:17 PM

The "Trio" (3rd strain) is the toughest part. I want to take on this next after I finish the 1st strain.

Like you, Maple Leaf is my "side project." The notes are easy to learn but bringing it up to performance tempo is the tough part. This is one that sounds very nice around 96 BPM. smile

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/01/10 09:39 PM

The "Trio" (3rd strain) is the toughest part. I want to take on this next after I finish the 1st strain.

Like you, Maple Leaf is my "side project." The notes are easy to learn but bringing it up to performance tempo is the tough part. This is one that sounds very nice around 96 BPM. smile

Yes that third section is really hard. The other sections aren't so easy either, the first is the only one I can play at > 40bpm. I find Maple Leaf a lot harder to remember than other Joplin rags, it seems to be full of unusual harmonic movement.

The first two measures of the fourth section are my favorite of the whole song, they just seem to totally capture the genius of Scott Joplin.

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/01/10 09:56 PM

Yes that third section is really hard. The other sections aren't so easy either, the first is the only one I can play at > 40bpm. I find Maple Leaf a lot harder to remember than other Joplin rags, it seems to be full of unusual harmonic movement.

The first two measures of the fourth section are my favorite of the whole song, they just seem to totally capture the genius of Scott Joplin.

Hi Chris, based on your own experience, which ones of the 8 rags you've learnt you consider the easier and the harder?

cheers
Posted by: john f

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/02/10 01:01 AM

Question about Ragtime. Does anyone play and perform only Ragtime? I have always wondered about that so I just thought I would ask. As for me, I love Ragtime, Joplin the most. John

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/02/10 10:31 AM

Hi Chris, based on your own experience, which ones of the 8 rags you've learnt you consider the easier and the harder?

cheers

None of the rags I have learnt was easy but some were harder than others. The first four I learnt, each of which took several months to learn were

The Crysanthemum
Palm Leaf Rag
The Entertainer
Pleasant Moments

Of the four the Entertainer took most time for me to learn. Palm Leaf rag only has 3 movements which is a point in it's favour.

The hardest rag I play is

The Nonpareil

Three rags which I learnt more quickly were

Bink's Waltz
Swipesy
The Favorite

And there is a large set of rags which are in progress, all of which are going much more slowly than the three above and which I would consider to be on the hard side.

Eugenia
Maple Leaf Rag
Pine Apple Rag
Rosebud March
Weeping Willow
Paragon

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/02/10 10:48 AM

cheers

None of the rags I have learnt was easy but some were harder than others. The first four I learnt, each of which took several months to learn were

The Crysanthemum
Palm Leaf Rag
The Entertainer
Pleasant Moments

Of the four the Entertainer took most time for me to learn. Palm Leaf rag only has 3 movements which is a point in it's favour.

The hardest rag I play is

The Nonpareil

Three rags which I learnt more quickly were

Bink's Waltz
Swipesy
The Favorite

And there is a large set of rags which are in progress, all of which are going much more slowly than the three above and which I would consider to be on the hard side.

Eugenia
Maple Leaf Rag
Pine Apple Rag
Rosebud March
Weeping Willow
Paragon

Chris G, that's a great list! Nonpareil is such a nice one too.

Weeping Willow is on my Joplin top 5 favorites. It's not one of his popular works but it's such a melodious piece.

I've heard and read that some of Joplin's hardest works are: Gladioulus, Fig Leaf, Magnetic Rag, Breeze from Alabama, and Solace. Perhaps one day learn them. smile
Posted by: Piano World

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/02/10 01:25 PM

Your host tries a bit of Billy Joel's Root Beer Rag.

First you'll here excerpts from Kathy's song, written for my friend Kathy, then a much shortened version of "rock opera" arrangement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, and finally a bit of the Root Beer Rag.

Keep in mind this is a noisey setting in a huge hall (at the NAMM show in CA).

Posted by: hv

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/02/10 02:02 PM

Hi, Frank.

Originally Posted By: john f
Question about Ragtime. Does anyone play and perform only Ragtime? I have always wondered about that so I just thought I would ask. As for me, I love Ragtime, Joplin the most. John

Many of the top ragtime players focus on it pretty much exclusively. But many of these are not musicians who do nothing else for a living. Most have unrelated day jobs. But I can think of a few. Bob Milne comes to mind. Though he also does Barrelhouse Boogie from the 20's and early 30's which is closely related.

Other full-time musicians I'm personally acquainted with who play a variety of genres, like jazz, classical, and a contemporary ragtime offshoot known as Terra Verde include Dick Hyman, Max Morath, Tex Wyndham, Jeff Barnhart, Tony Caramia, Morton Gunnar Larsen, The Ophelia Orchestra, Paul Asaro (Leon Redbone's piano player), Mary Sammon (Buddy Guy's keyboard player), Butch Thompson (former pp for Garrison Keillor), Mimi Blais, Glen Jenks, Frank French, Scott Kirby... the list goes on. Almost forgot John Gill .The list of top ragtimers with day-jobs is even longer.

And then there's my wife Sue, who Frank mentioned. She's also a full-time musician. But her musical range is pretty broad, bordering on the eclectic. In addition to Ragtime she does allot of early blues, novelty, stride, boogie, swing, cabaret, show tunes, a little classical, country, pop, and rock. Her latest project is a tribute to one of her earliest influences, Laura Nyro. And lately she's been learning Bossa Nova. In Portuguese. She also seemed to make friends with Jacqueline Schwab at Frank's Cape Cod PianoWorld party and tried her hand at Ashokan Farewell which Jacqueline did for Ken Burns... I sense another influence coming on... perhaps to both of them.

But Sue's best known for her 7-year stint as the Music Director of the Scott Joplin Ragtime Festival in Sedalia, MO... she'll be there again this year. But now that she's "retired" from running it, she'll actually be able to focus on performing for a change.

Sedalia, btw, is the place to go if you're interested in Ragtime... here's this year's line-up:

http://www.scottjoplin.org/performers.htm

And that's only the paid performer/ticketed-concert lineup. If you play enough ragtime to keep it together for 15 minutes in front of a packed, free, outside venue circus tent, they'll likely squeeze you in somewhere. Or strut your stuff at the nightly open-piano after-hours party at the hotel. Many of today's top ragtimers started out that way. Come. It's a week-long ragtime blast.

Howard

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/02/10 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Piano World
Your host tries a bit of Billy Joel's Root Beer Rag.

First you'll here excerpts from Kathy's song, written for my friend Kathy, then a much shortened version of "rock opera" arrangement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, and finally a bit of the Root Beer Rag.

Keep in mind this is a noisey setting in a huge hall (at the NAMM show in CA).

That was awesome, Frank! Thanks for sharing that. smile
Posted by: john f

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/03/10 12:46 AM

Hi Howard, Thank you very much for the response. You luck man, get to listen to all that piano for free. Here I have to play to listen and some times the sounds not so good. Maybe I just need to practice more. Thank you, John
Posted by: kokonutty

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 04/17/10 11:07 PM

I'll be there.

http://ragtimepiano.blogspot.com/2010/04/raggin-my-way-to-scott-joplin-ragtime.html
Posted by: CJM

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 05/07/10 08:41 PM

A great deal of very rare ragtime and stride sheet music has recently been uploaded to www.pianophilia.com. You will need to register, but otherwise is free.

Regards
Chris

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 05/23/10 09:30 PM

Hello folks,

Do anybody know this book? It is a good edition?

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Library-Of-Ragtime-Early-Blues-Piano/3594359

cheers

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 05/23/10 09:43 PM

I have it and I love it smile I've been working on W.C. Handy's St. Louis Blues from it - one of these days I'm going to have time to make that my recital piece.

The book has a pretty good section on Joplin, but if you've got Joplin elsewhere that's not the reason to buy this book. This book has great rags, cakewalks, and blues from lots of different composers. Too much fun smile

It's also got that plastic comb binding so it opens flat and stays there.

Cathy

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 05/23/10 10:04 PM

Hi Cathy, thanks a lot for the reply!

As you said, I'm willing to buy it because the broad compilation of less known composers, AND because it has the comb binding as you pointed! The only doubt I had was whether the quality of the scores itselfes was good and reliable or not.

cheers

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 05/23/10 11:17 PM

The quality is good. Very readable, and at least the Joplin and St. Louis Blues are original versions, so I assume the rest are, too.

Cathy

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 05/23/10 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: jotur
The quality is good. Very readable, and at least the Joplin and St. Louis Blues are original versions, so I assume the rest are, too.

Cathy

Ohh yes... the originality problem... would be terrible learning something not original, or an easier arrangement! frown

Anyway, I'm having a lot of trouble with my Swipesy by know, I think I'll wait a little bit more to buy this edition, I don't know if there are much rags of the swipesy level (people say it is one of the less dificult rags, I don't know what you think about it.. smile )

thx
Posted by: billertl

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 01/26/13 08:13 PM

I've become a fan of a few "newer" Rags, such as:

Mad Scientist Rag:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HucjsXrWtSo

Gitchee Gumee Rag:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk3Vp_74rmI

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 01/26/13 09:50 PM

Thanks for those links, billertl, and welcome to the forums. Larisa used to post here on occasion, and I've seen her on the Elite Syncopation forums (I lurk there - I'm not a member). I take it you play some ragtime - there's a few of us here who do.

Cathy
Posted by: billertl

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 01/27/13 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: jotur
Thanks for those links, billertl, and welcome to the forums. Larisa used to post here on occasion, and I've seen her on the Elite Syncopation forums (I lurk there - I'm not a member). I take it you play some ragtime - there's a few of us here who do.

Cathy

Larisa is an amazing musician. I'm a ragtime artist myself, and I could only hope to be half as talented as Larisa someday. I've seen most of her Youtube videos, and I'm very impressed.

Another Ragtime person who I follow on Youtube alot is Tom Brier. I've heard he's recorded a few CD's, which I want to buy someday.

Ragtime is the genre of piano music that I'm drawn to the most. I also like Jazz, blues, and rock. But there's just something classic about Ragtime.

I have a Wellington Piano that was made in 1904, which I want to have restored (it's in rough shape). People have told me that the cost of restoring it would be so expensive, that it would be smarter to just buy a new piano instead. But I think I'll opt for restoring the 1904 piano, just because I think old pianos have character. 1904 was the height of the Ragtime craze, and I could just imagine a person playing Ragtime on that piano back when it was new.

I actually have several pianos, which could all use some work. And Ragtime lends itself well to my old pianos that are slightly out of tune.
Posted by: pv88

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 01/27/13 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Undone
I'm a big fan too. Another great site to check out is "Perfessor Bill's": http://www.perfessorbill.com/sources1.shtml

I met Bill Edwards (i.e., "Perfessor Bill") one time at a concert he gave at a local church, and, he is simply one of the best ragtime players I have ever heard!

And, he's a really nice guy to know, too. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCBC9K3SAZ8

His main homepage is simply:

http://www.perfbill.com/
Posted by: joyoussong

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 01/27/13 10:42 AM

And, of course, his unforgetable Hanon Rag <http://www.perfbill.com/albums/pbrec7.shtml> If you're bored with Hanon, try this!

Originally Posted By: pv88
Originally Posted By: Undone

I met Bill Edwards (i.e., "Perfessor Bill") one time at a concert he gave at a local church, and, he is simply one of the best ragtime players I have ever heard!

And, he's a really nice guy to know, too. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCBC9K3SAZ8

His main homepage is simply:

http://www.perfbill.com/

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 01/27/13 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: billertl
I have a Wellington Piano that was made in 1904, which I want to have restored (it's in rough shape). People have told me that the cost of restoring it would be so expensive, that it would be smarter to just buy a new piano instead. But I think I'll opt for restoring the 1904 piano, just because I think old pianos have character. 1904 was the height of the Ragtime craze, and I could just imagine a person playing Ragtime on that piano back when it was new.

I have a 1905 Howard. Beautiful case. But unfortunately the tuning pins are beginning to loosen and not all the strings will hold a tune any more. I'll never have enough to restore it, but I haven't brought myself to be able to give up the case yet, so I still have it and play my digital most of the time. Maybe in the next couple of years I'll find a way to deal with the dilemma and get myself an acoustic I actually want to play. Or a better digital.

Thanks all, for more great music in your posts.

Cathy
Posted by: E. Christensen

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 12/03/13 03:28 AM

Here are a few that I like:

1. http://www.ragtimepiano.ca/rags/rare.htm

2. http://www.perfessorbill.com/links.shtml

3. http://www.perfessorbill.com/sources1.shtml
Posted by: Ragdoll

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 12/03/13 02:34 PM

Quote:
I have a 1905 Howard. Beautiful case. But unfortunately the tuning pins are beginning to loosen and not all the strings will hold a tune any more. I'll never have enough to restore it

@jotur

Hi Cathy, I'm not sure what the procedure is exactly but you might ask over in the tech forum about doing some work on the pinblock (I think it's called) and replacing or tightening the pins instead of a complete restore. They might give some insight about what could be done. If it doesn't have many major problems other than this it would be a shame not to keep it. smile Got pictures?
Posted by: johnbarnesiii

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 12/03/13 02:37 PM

I love ragtime!!!! Once I establish a solid foundation on piano I plan to learn some ragtime stuff. The 'big three' of ragtime piano... besides Scott Joplin there were two other main ones (Joseph Lamb & James Scott). I haven't read through all 7 pages of posts on this thread yet but I imagine the other two have been mentioned already.
Posted by: wouter79

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 12/03/13 02:52 PM

Yes I like Joplin's rags, but I put only the well known Maple Leaf and Entertainer on my todo list, too much other nice stuff to work on smile

I have found that playing midi files via the input to my digital piano is a fantastic way to get the feel of a tune and helps in learning. The only problem is the temptation to let the midi file do all the hard work and just enjoy listening to the tunes.

Haven't heard Rag on Midi but I did hear some Boogie Woogie on midi. It sounded very weird, it totally lacked 'swing' that makes it work. So I would not count too heavily on the midi files.

Nothing wrong with listening but if you want to listen I recommend going for a good audio recording on eg youtube or here on this forum.
Posted by: Whizbang

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 12/03/13 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: johnbarnesiii
I love ragtime!!!! Once I establish a solid foundation on piano I plan to learn some ragtime stuff. The 'big three' of ragtime piano... there besides Scott Joplin there were two other main ones. I haven't read through all 7 pages of posts on this thread yet but I imagine the other two have been mentioned already.

Well, there were hundreds of ragtime composers, but two others that are extremely well regarded are Joseph Lamb and James Scott.

There are many fine rags by other classic era composers, such as Artie Matthews, Arthur Marshall, David Guion, Charles Hunter, May Aufderheide, Eubie Blake, et al., not to mention modern composers.

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 12/03/13 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Ragdoll
Got pictures?

I only have one easily accessible picture - scroll down here:

1905 Howard

As for the room itself, the white boxes are gone, but other sheet music books have replicated and taken that space :\ Oh well.

As for fixing the pin block, I hadn't thought about it. I could ask my tech, but I suspect he'd rather I got a newer piano -

Cathy
Posted by: TheodorN

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 12/03/13 03:21 PM

Just recently become a ragtime man, and my newly found interest has been strengthened by this thread. I'd like to learn to play some of the silent film ragtime music, just love silent films. The Entertainer and Rocky Racoon (the solo therein can be seen as ragtime.)

Just found this video, someone turning 80's hits into ragtime, on a Nord Stage of course. smirk

Posted by: DoreenH

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 12/03/13 05:08 PM

Hi, Im a beginner adult player and have found a book that is fun and challenging for my level. Its called Jazz Rags and Blues by Martha Mier. I wold like to find more beginner level songs like that.
Posted by: Whizbang

Re: Anybody a Ragtime fan - 12/03/13 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: DoreenH
Hi, Im a beginner adult player and have found a book that is fun and challenging for my level. Its called Jazz Rags and Blues by Martha Mier. I wold like to find more beginner level songs like that.

There are some free simpler ragtime arrangements linked in my--shameless plug-- Joplin-themed ABF recital thread

Just scroll down to the resources section and you'll see some of the free ragtime sheets I was able to unearth on the Internet. Alas, most ragtime arrangements are covered by copyright and published by the big publishers, so there weren't too many of the free ones that I could find.