OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces

Posted by: casinitaly

OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces - 05/27/10 01:12 PM

Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces for Piano 2nd edition. Hal Leonard publishers.

http://www.amazon.ca/Oscar-Peterson-Exercises-Minuets-Etudes/dp/0634099795

Seems several of us are working on this book, so why not have a thread about it - and then maybe someone will make a pretty box we can put in our siggy lines when we get through it!

I'm just starting, and Playing with Exercise N2 and Minuet N2.

Who's next? smile
Posted by: Pianosaurus Rex

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces - 05/27/10 01:23 PM

I got exercise 4, 5 and 6 almost under my belt.
#5 probably needs a bit more work, I'm gonna start on the minuet of #6 in my next practise session this afternoon.

Didn't try any of the other minuets yet, might give them a go sometime depending on my experience with minuet #6. smile

They're really good exercises, and I actually tend to play them often when my friends or family ask me to play some piano for them, and so far everyone loves them. :p
Posted by: GlassLove

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces - 05/27/10 01:55 PM

Okay, both of you have convinced me that I should buy this book and join in. I will order from Amazon today.

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces - 05/27/10 02:05 PM

Yeah! Glad you're joining in!

I order most of my English books from Amazon (UK) simply because they aren't available here - but for music I'm in heaven !!!!!!!

The amount of material that is available - and easy to get hold of - is mind boggling.

Next time I'm in the music shop I'll take pictures to give an idea of what is available -(If they will let me), it is UNbelievable.
Posted by: CMohr

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 05/27/10 03:01 PM

It's funny that I saw this post this morning - I just ordered the Oscar Peterson book! Haven't seen the contents, but it sounded like a great addition to what I'm now doing.

So, who knows, I may be joining in here, too. I should have my book within a week.
Posted by: MegumiNoda

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 05/27/10 04:37 PM

Oh hey! I got a copy of that book a couple of years ago, when I was contemplating restarting on piano again. At the time, I thought I might try to branch out and learn jazz. But then, sort of by chance, I found a (classically trained) teacher I liked. She has assigned me a steady diet of Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms. And so, Oscar Peterson got placed on the back burner.

Since then, I've occasionally broken the book out to practice sight-reading. I feel like I must be doing something wrong though -- everything I did just sounded kind of flat and un-jazzy. I don't think I can figure jazz out on my own, so I'm glad that you guys have started a thread on this book.
Posted by: HomeInMyShoes

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 05/27/10 04:53 PM

I might need to go look this book up. Oscar Peterson is one of my favourite artists of all time and both Night Train and Canadiana Suite are pretty high up on my list of albums I'd take to the desert island with me.
Posted by: ll

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 05/27/10 07:22 PM

I've seen this book mentioned a lot and it intrigues me! Can anyone share how it's structured and what it entails? I'd be highly interested in joining the study group, but I just haven't seen it around anywhere.

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 05/28/10 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: ll
I've seen this book mentioned a lot and it intrigues me! Can anyone share how it's structured and what it entails? I'd be highly interested in joining the study group, but I just haven't seen it around anywhere.

The book has three sections: It begins with "exercises and minuets." Each pair of exercise/minuet introduces some particular concept (like the boogie woogie pattern). These are short (each pair takes up just a page). The minuet seems to be a slightly harder variation on the exercise. Then there is an "Etudes and Pieces" section. These are a little longer (a pair spans 2-3 pages), and they seem more complex. The third section is another set of (multi-page) exercises.

Here is an excerpt from the preface blurb that I found motivating:
Originally Posted By: Oscar Peterson

... when a person, whether studied or not classically speaking, attempts to enter the jazz world from a playing aspect, he often finds himself hamstrung by many varied musical inadequacies. Very few people truly ever attribute their lack of ability to the proper cause, I feel. Many of them blame what they term their creative inability to conceive jazz phrases, without stopping to realize that a jazz technique in many ways is a completely new form of technique when compared with the classical.

I still feel pretty much hamstrung, but I hadn't really worked honestly and sincerely on these jazz exercises yet.

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 05/28/10 12:17 AM

Thank you!

Are the excercises, etudes, and pieces progressively in more difficult order, or do they all just present a new idea? Is it something a beginner to jazz could work with, or is it more for an advanced student looking for technical work?

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 05/28/10 12:22 AM

They do seem to get progressively harder. The first set seems more like it's just introducing ideas. I think this is a beginner book.

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 05/28/10 12:24 AM

Thank you so much! I'll be ordering it tonight smile

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 05/28/10 01:18 AM

Well, looks like we're off to a flying start!
The funny thing is that I am not a huge jazz fan by any stretch of the imagination - but I do love Oscar! When I saw the book, - and yes, it really IS a beginner, or at least low level book - I just couldn't resist.

I think we'll really get rolling in about 10 days or so when everyone's books start arriving from Amazon! smile

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 05/28/10 11:27 AM

Woah, lots of people joining in I see! How very nice! smile

I gave minuet #6 a try yesterday, but it was rather difficult. I think I'm gonna save it for the weekend when I've got more time on my hands.
I think it's pretty manageable if I stay focused. laugh

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 05/29/10 02:51 AM

Exercise 3 page 8: I have to say that the first bar really stumped me on how to move my hand!

4 5 4 5 4 5 4 2
C D C A C D C A

The same patter is repeated in the first bar of the last line but the 4th note (the first A) is N2 finger. I wonder if the first is a typo?

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 05/29/10 04:49 AM

That is definitely a typo... I'd say finger 2, just like it says later.

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 05/29/10 05:23 AM

Originally Posted By: ll
That is definitely a typo... I'd say finger 2, just like it says later.

I felt it had to be, thanks for the confirmation!

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/01/10 08:38 PM

I got my book today, yea! So what's the plan? Are we going to work on the same exercises, etc. or pick each others' brains? Post recordings?

I've only quickly scanned through the book, looks like it will be fun.
Posted by: bluespianofan

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/01/10 09:54 PM

Don't forget to swing those notes!

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/02/10 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: CMohr
I got my book today, yea! So what's the plan? Are we going to work on the same exercises, etc. or pick each others' brains? Post recordings?

I've only quickly scanned through the book, looks like it will be fun.

I can't really work on the same exercises as you, since I don't have the actual book, just some copied pages my teacher assigned to me.

I can, of course, record those pages I do have! Here's a rather slow recording of #6 I made a while back.
http://www.box.net/shared/4c0v5j0dff

Originally Posted By: bluespianofan
Don't forget to swing those notes!

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Don't really know why, guess I just like alternating.

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/02/10 07:36 AM

That is a really nice recording, PianosaurusRex. I am so excited for my book to come. It hasn't even shipped yet mad

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/02/10 09:09 AM

YEAH!!! I just got notice that it shipped. yippie I like the idea of working on the same lessons and discussing them. I love the idea of recording ourselves. I haven't managed to record myself up to this point. I did do some digital filming (with my camera), but the sound quality was pretty poor. How did you record yourself, Pianosaurus?

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/02/10 09:27 AM

Glassglove, glad your book has shipped! woohoo!

CMohr, I have no idea how we're going to move ahead with this - post our successes? Comments? Ask each other questions? Maybe just encourage each other.

PianosaurusRex - nice recording - you say you did this a while back - do you feel you're making progress on it?
I noticed you only played the first chord of the right hand in each bar - (at least that's how it sounded, I could be wrong) - however, that seems like a good idea as a "building step" for gradually working into the piece - while getting the left hand under control.

I did some work on Minuet N4 and I have to say I didn't care for it much. I think n. 2 is a very pretty little piece. 3 is a bit more challenging, but I've been focusing more on my Purcell "AIR" and getting dynamics into Vinciquerra - Lilla than working in this book.

I don't know when I'll get around to doing recording. I have to move the computer over to the piano and last time I tried undocking it I ran into problems... grrrr. Now that I know how to do it all, maybe it woun't be so irritating. In the end the set up /connection was quite easy, I used Audacity and then converted to Mp3.

Maybe next weekend.
Posted by: Howser

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/02/10 11:37 AM

Hi everyone,

Out of interest and as a guide if I should get the book, those that already have the book, what grade/level are you?

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/02/10 11:48 AM

I started playing 1 week after you smile. I had never played piano before that, though I play clarinet and guitar.

I'm a pretty clear beginner! This book is, aimed at "young pianists" (in the preface) ...and I take that "young" as being "new" smile

There are 14 Exercises and Minuets, 10 Etudes and Pieces and 10 more advanced exercises at the end of the piece. It seems to me that the level of difficulty increases as you go along, but it doesn't look intimidating.

Hope that helps.

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/02/10 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: GlassLove
That is a really nice recording, PianosaurusRex. I am so excited for my book to come. It hasn't even shipped yet mad

Thank you very much!

Originally Posted By: GlassLove
How did you record yourself, Pianosaurus?

I used my laptop, which is positioned right on top of my Digital. I'm going to try recording my acoustic tomorrow, I think I'll have to place my laptop a bit further away. smile

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
PianosaurusRex - nice recording - you say you did this a while back - do you feel you're making progress on it?
I noticed you only played the first chord of the right hand in each bar - (at least that's how it sounded, I could be wrong) - however, that seems like a good idea as a "building step" for gradually working into the piece - while getting the left hand under control.

Hah, I'm definitely making progress. I play it pretty much the same now, except I can do it a bit faster if I'd like. Also, with each exercise I learn, the others become much more manageable!

And this exercise actually only has a single right hand chord each measure, I think you might be confused with minuet #6 which has several chords over the same left hand.
I'm working on minuet #6 now, and it's pretty tricky, I'm not gonna post a recording of that yet!

What you said kind of described the way I did learn exercise #6 though. At first when I still had trouble with it, I only played the right hand and the first note of the left hand in each measure.
After I got all those chords down it was really easy to add the remaining left hand notes.
It's a trick my teacher told me to use, and it paid off really well!

Originally Posted By: Howser
Hi everyone,

Out of interest and as a guide if I should get the book, those that already have the book, what grade/level are you?

I also started late December, like many of us here. I think the book will suit you well.
The exercises get progressively harder, so I'm sure there's plenty of useful material in it for you!

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/02/10 01:34 PM

P-Rex, you're right - I was looking at the Minuet, not the exercise!

I guess a lot of us got our pianos for Christmas eh?

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/02/10 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
P-Rex, you're right - I was looking at the Minuet, not the exercise!

I guess a lot of us got our pianos for Christmas eh?

Hehe, just a coincidence in my case. While my piano was indeed a gift, it wasn't necessarily a Christmas gift.

Anyway, I just returned from my lesson. My teacher said I did all my Peterson exercises really well, but she wants me to continue them for one more week because I still played with a slight amount of hesitation here and there.
Also she said that after that, I'd be done with them for a while and we'd move on to Czerny for a bit.

I still have the minuets to all exercises I did so far though, so I still have plenty of Peterson material to keep me going for a while. smile

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/02/10 05:13 PM

What great feedback from the teacher! Good for you!

Do you know which Czerny you're going to be working on?
That will be interesting!

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/02/10 07:27 PM

PRex- Sorry I can't seem to listen to your recording. I don't think my old ITunes likes wma files.

Howser - I'm not a true beginner, intermediate I suppose, but I just started the jazz thing last November. I do take lessons and anything I can get my hands on to help me through this journey is all gravy. smile

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/03/10 10:35 PM

Casinitaly, PRex, and CMohr thanks for your responses. I am getting the book, looking forward to it.
Posted by: joyoussong

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/16/10 10:46 PM

Just got an email from Amazon that my Oscar Peterson book was shipped today, so I should have it by early next week. Can't wait!

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/17/10 02:22 AM

Yipee! That will be fun.

I have to confess, I haven't been paying much attention to Oscar the last little while, - Mr. Clementi grabbed my attention!
Posted by: Rod Terrell

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/18/10 10:42 PM

I've had this book for a while but never really learned the excercises,I just play through them for fun. I have played jazz for many years but switched to classical when I heard someone play a great piece and now I find classical more fulfilling and interesting. But after reading this post ,I may pull out that O.P book and memorize a piece or two.
Posted by: Sparky McBiff

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/19/10 12:18 AM

Thanks for the heads up about this book.
I just ordered a copy.
Posted by: tangleweeds

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/22/10 11:47 PM

I just got my copy, and started with the first exercise today. The book seems to start right at my level, which, according to the pieces I am working on, is mid-late beginner.

This summer I have switched my focus from classical to learning the basics ragtime, blues, and jazz, and I've been having a lot of fun with it. I'm also working from Tim Richards _Improvising Blues Piano_, which is simply the best music instructional book I have ever run across.

I am finding that this shift in focus has helped me develop a much deeper physical/rhythmic/kinesthetic relationship to the piano. Something about the swingy, syncopated rhythms awaken something inside me, and sometimes give me this strong sense of dancing with the piano.

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/22/10 11:56 PM

I got mine today too! laugh

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/23/10 08:29 AM

I am collecting mine today. smile
Posted by: David Sprunger

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/23/10 03:43 PM

Right on! I'm clicking through to Amazon to get this very rich resource...

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 06/25/10 12:35 PM

How cool! Our numbers are growing.

I've been out of town for a few days, back to the keys tonight!

I've got some catching up to do.

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 07/07/10 11:23 PM

Anybody been working with this book yet? I'm still on page 1, but I'm getting better at it. ;>)

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 07/07/10 11:26 PM

Hi Joyous,
We are on the same page. I am not getting much better blush

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 07/07/10 11:43 PM

I had a lesson yesterday (unfortunately my last lesson with my wonderful teacher - for the foreseeable future, anyway). Mostly, she thought my fingering was good, but she suggested other options in a few places in the Minuet, & they helped a lot.
Posted by: David Burton

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 07/08/10 05:20 PM

Intrigued enough to put these books, and the Jazz Theory book, on my to get and explore list.

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 07/12/10 02:45 AM

I'm still not much farther ahead. I got distracted by a box of materials that arrived from a friend, and ...... well, Oscar got put on the shelf for a bit.

I'll start up again soon.
Should be interesting to see how far we get on this one, we've certainly got a good sized group developing!
Posted by: AC26XP

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces - 07/13/10 11:19 AM

Hey guys and gals,
Could you tell me if the book you reference (in initial post) Oscar Peterson - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes and Pieces for Piano includes the same exercises as the book that I own Oscar Robertson Jazz Piano for the Young Pianist #1.

I have included pictures of the book cover and the first page of exercises to help (and only for the purposes of identification, not to distribute copyrighted material, blah... blah... blah...)

Thanks,
AC

Posted by: JimF

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces - 07/13/10 01:39 PM

Quote:
I own Oscar Robertson Jazz Piano for the Young Pianist #1.

Don't know what it will do for your Jazz piano, but I imagine it will do wonders for your dribbling and your jump shot. wink

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces - 07/13/10 01:43 PM

to AC26XP - yes, that looks like the same book , just an older version.
Posted by: AC26XP

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces - 07/13/10 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: JimF
Don't know what it will do for your Jazz piano, but I imagine it will do wonders for your dribbling and your jump shot. wink

LOL
Basketball on the brain, I guess.

Now if I could play the piano the way the "Big O" played basketball... or for that matter the way Oscar Peterson played piano...

Happy playing,
AC

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 07/13/10 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: joyoussong
Anybody been working with this book yet? I'm still on page 1, but I'm getting better at it. ;>)

I am still on page 1 as well. Not sure if I am getting better smile
Posted by: Larcia

Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece - 11/11/10 11:27 PM

WOW~~ SO COOL~~