Tips for playing blow the man down

Posted by: jfd

Tips for playing blow the man down - 06/20/10 09:02 PM

I am currently learning the song blow the man down in Basic Adult Piano Course Level one. After one week of practicing the song, I found that it is actually harder to play than it looks like. In order to play measures with eighth nodes "correctly" (sound correctly to my own ears), I have to play the harmonic EG very short just like an eighth node. For instance, for the 2nd measure, I do the following:

1_&_2_&_3_&
G_____A_G__ (Right hand)
C___EG__EG_ (Left hand)
where I play EG as an eighth node.

Is this correct? If not, any tips for playing this song. Thanks very much.
Posted by: GracieCat

Re: Tips for playing blow the man down - 06/20/10 10:38 PM

That's the right notes and count. This is one of the first hard songs of the book because it's the first time both hands aren't working together. When you play it hands together, play SLOWLY. Play that 1st full measure over several times SLOWLY till you get it. The left hand will basically keep the beat.
Posted by: SoundThumb

Re: Tips for playing blow the man down - 06/20/10 10:40 PM

Yes, it is very easy to want to play the quarter notes in the second two beats of the measure as eighth notes because this song has such a strong waltz beat. I think what your ear (and mine) is trying to do is to make sure that the first beat of the measure gets emphasis. Since it is difficult to make the little finger play louder than two stronger fingers playing together, the tendency is to reduce the length of the notes to maintain emphasis on the first. I am not a teacher, but it seems like the proper way to play this is to play quarter notes but play the first beat louder than the second two. Like you said, harder to do than what it first looks.

Re: Tips for playing blow the man down - 06/20/10 10:41 PM

Oh, and come join us on the ongoing thread we have started for Alfred's book #1. The Adult basic course and Adult All In One Course have mostly the same exact songs in it. We've all played and suffered through this song. BUT, learning this song will make the following songs just a little bit easier for you.

HERE.

Re: Tips for playing blow the man down - 06/21/10 12:54 AM

Thanks very much for all the replies.

Re: Tips for playing blow the man down - 06/22/10 01:12 AM

Here is the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAIEjbyi_eY) in which I was playing the song. Let me know if I was playing the song correctly.

Posted by: ihave12fingers

Re: Tips for playing blow the man down - 06/22/10 02:46 AM

^Good timing! It sounds like its in 3/4? Definitely sounds like Blow the Man Down to me!
Posted by: joyoussong

Re: Tips for playing blow the man down - 06/22/10 10:52 AM

Sounded perfect to me!

Re: Tips for playing blow the man down - 06/22/10 10:56 AM

Yep, it's in 3/4 time.

Very good jfd! You made the song sound easy to play.
Posted by: GlassLove

Re: Tips for playing blow the man down - 06/22/10 05:06 PM

Excellent JFD. Played Perfectly!

Re: Tips for playing blow the man down - 06/22/10 07:40 PM

Thank you very much for all your nice words blush. I am now more confident to continue the journey. cool