Mozart's Sonata No.12, 2nd movement (adagio)

Posted by: ChopinAddict

Mozart's Sonata No.12, 2nd movement (adagio) - 09/12/10 04:29 AM

Hi,
I am studying this sonata and I have two versions.
While they are basically the same (the second version is the gruppetto written out), the second version gives a suggestion above the staff that I wouldn't have spontaneously chosen I think.
Besides, dynamics etc. are also different...
Here they are:

What do you think?
And is there something like Mozart's First Editions Online?
I think I will have to buy the Urtext Edition if I want to be sure...

Thanks! smile
Posted by: jlynne

Re: Mozart's Sonata No.12, 2nd movement (adagio) - 09/13/10 03:20 AM

I have no answers, just a question . . . isn't there argument that the turns in Beethoven's music should be played as a quintuplet?
Posted by: Andy Platt

Re: Mozart's Sonata No.12, 2nd movement (adagio) - 09/13/10 08:05 AM

Someone here must have a copy of an Urtext ... I actually have the Henle edition on hold at the library so I'll look there when I can pick it up if nobody else has. Of course the dynamics are very likely editorial which would explain the difference.

The suggestion for the grupetto, though, looks exactly how I would have expected it to be given that it's written after the dotted eighth note. For a simple example:

Turns
Posted by: Ode2Joy

Re: Mozart's Sonata No.12, 2nd movement (adagio) - 09/13/10 10:02 AM

laugh Fianally a question I can answer! I have the Baerenreiter Urtext version for this sonata. http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Piano-Sonatas-Volume-2/2442286

The first 20 measures are very similar to the top picture in your post, where the turns are written out as a set of sixteenth note appogiaturas. I think that is what they are called. Visually, the set of sixteenth notes are smaller than the rest of the notes.

From measures 21 - 40, my score shows an erstdruck version in parallel with the autograph. Most of the appogiaturas in the erstdruck section follow the 4 sixteenth note style, with several exceptions (m24 and m27 uses the triplet version: I don't know what it is called, but has the double beam connecting 3 notes, and an italicized 3 below the double beam)

Basically the erstdruck version writes out the ornaments and the different variations for them, and the variations get successively more tricky, for me at least. I actually submitted this movement in the recent ABF forum recital and I tried to execute the erstdruck. Function term here is "tried".

As far as dynamics go, no crescendo or decrecendo phrase markings; all dynamic markings are written as p, sfp, sp etc directly below the note.

Hope this answers your question.

Re: Mozart's Sonata No.12, 2nd movement (adagio) - 09/13/10 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt

The suggestion for the grupetto, though, looks exactly how I would have expected it to be given that it's written after the dotted eighth note. For a simple example:

Turns

Thanks smile... So was it transformed into a triplet because of the dotted eighth note? I don't think I had problems playing it like a quadruplet, although it might have not been 100% accurate.

Re: Mozart's Sonata No.12, 2nd movement (adagio) - 09/13/10 04:08 PM

Thank you!! smile I think I should buy that version... It looks like it is what I am looking for.