Let's see pics of your piano room

Posted by: Mr Super-Hunky

Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/04/10 11:48 PM

Everybody likes pics. Especially of nice piano settings. Let's see a pic of your piano in your home.

Here's mine. A Mason & Hamlin BB. It is in our den but I call it the piano louge where I perform nightly for an australian shepherd and a siamese cat!

Just for kicks, a quick pic of the outside per heavily baited request.

Posted by: TTigg

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 12:11 AM

(cough) you're amongst friends Mr. S&H and you had previously eluded to "many" pics of said abode. I've seen some snow ones before, would love to see more (or PM me a link where I can drool for an hour or so) thumb

Great room and great piano!
- SC
Posted by: jotur

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 12:58 AM

And now for something completely different:

Wow! It worked!

Notice the mess smile My piano is a 1905 Howard, and the keyboard is a Casio Privia 100X.

The stuff all over the floor is sheet music in various guises laugh

At least at the minute you can actually walk in the room, although getting onto the bench can be a little tricky. . .

Cathy

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 01:03 AM

Oh darn! I just noticed that the Hunk said "nice" piano settings!

His qualifies. Mine - oh well laugh

I do love your house, though, s-h.

Cathy
Posted by: Canonie

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 07:59 AM

Oh Cathy I laughed so much at your post. I WAS drooling over MrSH's house and very glorious piano room, and then? LOL!
Oh dear. Your room is actually perfectly nice (and kinda like mine wink ) but compared to the Romantic, Sensuously lit, Warm toned Hunky piano room.... Well who could follow a photo like that?

Thank you Mr SH, drool drool

drool...
Posted by: Emphursis1

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 08:49 AM

Yeah... I didn't want to bring my DP to Uni, so I am stuck with that for now.
Although I did find a music shop with quite a few nice Piano's. so I plan on heading there every few weeks for practice :P
Posted by: TX-Dennis

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 10:54 AM

Here's mine. Sorry, nothing nearly as grand as Super-Hunky's palace. grin Never fear, the fireplace is unused.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 11:10 AM

Emphursis - that looks like what we got my mom because there is zero room for a piano in her small place, and her fingers got numb so she couldn't press the keys down on a regular piano. So I practice on it when I'm visiting. It works!

Dennis - what a nice setting. I have a fireplace I don't use (a corner one, about a foot behind the music stand on the right). I'd rather have the space, but in Santa Fe it's all the rage to have a "kiva" fireplace so there it was :\

Canonie - I laughed, too.

Cathy
Posted by: nancymae

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 11:46 AM

I think we should have a field trip to have a piano symposium at Mr. SH's house!! Show of hands??????

I will take a picture of my current set up--it will look strangely similar to Cathy's post!!

Emphursis=--I have a key board very similar to what you are using...same stand too! I love it...I especially love to put on my pbones, as I am a morning person, my hubby a night person...so I can get up on the weekends and jam..all to myself!!

Tx Dennis: I have a fireplace that I don't use in my room as well! The piano is beautiful!!

Love seeing everyone's setup...will post my picture later tonight!

Nancy

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: jotur
Emphursis - that looks like what we got my mom because there is zero room for a piano in her small place, and her fingers got numb so she couldn't press the keys down on a regular piano. So I practice on it when I'm visiting. It works!

It may work, but the lack of three octaves does get rather annoying quite a bit!
Posted by: MonticelloDreams

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 01:04 PM

Well, I tried. Unfortunately computer literate I am not! confused Fun topic though, it's enjoyable seeing everyone's piano room pics!
Posted by: Littleted

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: mr_super-hunky
Everybody likes pics. Especially of nice piano settings. Let's see a pic of your piano in your home.

Here's mine. A Mason & Hamlin BB. It is in our den but I call it the piano louge where I perform nightly for an australian shepherd and a siamese cat!

Just for kicks, a quick pic of the outside per heavily baited request.

Wow nice place, fancy renting it out smile
Posted by: FarmGirl

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 01:39 PM

How do you paste pic's I cannot figure out

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: TheMostImprovedDog
How do you paste pic's I cannot figure out

This took me a minute, too. In the FAQ's there's an item on how to upload if you have your picture on a server you've picked.

And then, over on the right hand column of your screen there's a link, under the What's Hot, on Forums Rules & Help. If you scroll down a ways there's instructions on how to upload a picture to PW's server and then link to it in your post.

It worked like a charm!

Cathy
Posted by: CMohr

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 01:58 PM

Here's my piano "lounge"...Oh, wait! This isn't mine, but the lobby in Anaheim where we spent our anniversary. laugh I did get to plink a little, though.
/

Here's mine. (Not nearly as nice as MR.SH's but glad to have it!) My 1906 Wellington I've had since I was seven years old. I'm loving seeing everyone's pics.

Posted by: BB Player

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 03:33 PM

Here's mine, also a Mason Hamlin BB. The usual caveats: fireplace is blocked off, only used for stacking sheet music, window and skylight face east with a steep wooded hill behind so the piano doesn't get any direct sunlight.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: BB Player
Here's mine, also a Mason Hamlin BB. The usual caveats: fireplace is blocked off, only used for stacking sheet music, window and skylight face east with a steep wooded hill behind so the piano doesn't get any direct sunlight.

cool Very nice and clean!!
Posted by: itsfreakingmeout

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 03:44 PM

here's Edna Essex...

Nothing special...the carpet's gotta go, but I'm in an apartment right now so i can't exactly rip it up or i would...bext next year when I buy I won't settle for anything less than beautiful hardwood floors to make my baby sing!!!

lol

beautiful pictures from everyone else!!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 03:55 PM

Let's see.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000587636504#!/profile.php?id=100000587636504&v=wall
and
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=408173&fbid=159780094051577&id=100000587636504

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 03:56 PM

Heres my grand. the link did not work.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 04:01 PM

Beautiful piano Kaz! What kind is it?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: TTigg

cool Very nice and clean!!

I'd like to say "It always looks like that" but the truth is we just finished painting and haven't moved all the furniture back into the room yet or added the usual "decorative" piles of sheet music on the floor around the piano like Cathy laugh

History suggests it's only a matter of time ....

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 04:04 PM

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...p=inline&zw

Wow, it worked. It's my Baldwin R. I am hoping you can see my talented dog and her upright (kidding).
But she loves to make sounds with the piano.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=408173&fbid=159780094051577&id=100000587636504

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 04:13 PM

OK, I am giving this one last try. For now this is my 'piano room'
Here is my Mason & Hamlin A on the left and Baldwin R1 on the right, if you can see the photo.

I just love all the photos submitted. beautiful pianos, all of them!
Posted by: Melissa Morgan

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 04:17 PM

Here's an album on Facebook dedicated to my cute little 1946 Baldwin Acrosonic that I bought a couple weeks ago:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=198830&id=525507004&l=0703d5ba55

I love seeing the pictures of your grand pianos. It gives me something to aspire to. smile

Edit to say: I have that album's privacy settings set to "Everyone," so you should be able to see it even if you are not logged into Facebook.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 04:25 PM

Thank you Greg. You have a wonderful piano. Nice.
Cathy, thanks for your advice. It worked for one of the pictures:)

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 04:25 PM

KAZ - Love the pic with your dog! I am partial to goldens, though. Here's ours.

Buddy

Everyone's pics are great! And Cathy, you crack me up!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 04:31 PM

CMohr, he is beautiful? Is he single? My Emma is 1 years old (kidding).
She really likes to play the piano and I have to put her in her cage to prevent her from roll the keys with her nose.

Cathy, actually, my room looks like yours. It's just the most of the paper is chewed up by Emma. I will upload that picture. Later
Posted by: IramChZ

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 04:32 PM

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 04:33 PM

Wow, I finally figured out how to upload a picture here! I had said I was going to post a picture of my new piano in July, so I'm glad this thread came up and I finally did it.
Posted by: YamahaMamma

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 04:52 PM

Mr. Super Hunky, all I can say is FANTABULOUS! Beautiful. Your setting is my idea of Heaven. Love it!
Posted by: jazzwee

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 05:19 PM

Some poor quality Iphone pics taken awhile ago...

Posted by: casinitaly

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 05:22 PM

Oh there are some lovely rooms and lovely pianos! (and dogs!)

I think I'll wait a bit and post when I have my acoustic.

I feel like I've been visiting my buddies! smile

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: IramChZ

what make and model is this? it looks like the institutional version of my piano but I know that most upright designs are pretty standard.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: itsfreakingmeout

what make and model is this? it looks like the institutional version of my piano but I know that most upright designs are pretty standard.

Kawai 506N. You can actually see "KAWAI" across the front really clearly in real life, but I'm not much of a photographer.
Posted by: noahandgabrielsdad

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 05:43 PM

2heartsWhat a beautiful dog, Mohr.
I love pianos but give me a dog any day and they always will win my heart.
I have three adorable dogs. If i find out how to post pics i will share them with my piano.Still can`t figure how ! blush
Lovely pictures everyone, laugh Its fun being nosey laugh

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 05:52 PM

Here's Emma playing the piano. Hope it works. I think i have to go back to work now.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=media#!/photo.php?pid=408222&id=100000587636504&ref=fbx_album

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 05:53 PM

Here's Emma playing the piano. Hope it works. I think i have to go back to work now.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=media#!/photo.php?pid=408222&id=100000587636504&ref=fbx_album

Playing Hanon no less! wow, I'm impressed.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: jazzwee
Some poor quality Iphone pics taken awhile ago...

I think we need to do a meet-up at your place - very nice thumb
- SC
Posted by: jazzwee

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 06:16 PM

- SC

Thanks TTigg! It doesn't photograph well because of the light contrast but when I open the curtains, I'm looking at a view from a hill so it really makes piano playing pleasurable. Come on by (W LA)! Seriously!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 06:31 PM

Buddy thanks you, N&GsDad! Yes, we've always had a piano and at least one dog. We had three (dogs) for a while - now that's a handful!

Kaz, Buddy does have a couple girlfriends here, but he's never balked at a long distance relationship, especially with such a cutie! heart laugh

With all these gorgeous grand pianos out west, we really should have some kind of west coast piano get-together.
Posted by: PeteF

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 06:35 PM

Never one to be shy of a good ol' pi$$ing contest, here's my contribution. Sorry 'bout the mess (we just added the insulation on the roof)!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 06:38 PM

PeteF, I Love It! laugh

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: MonticelloDreams
PeteF, I Love It! laugh

Well of course in the theme of the OP, it's been tidied up for photographic purposes; I removed the Karaoke microphone!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 06:59 PM

Mr. Super-hunkey, It was really good idea to ask people post their piano pic's. Your piano and the place looks awesome. I really enjoyed it. BTW it does not really look like Scottsdale:) Much better! Let us know when you do have a piano party.
Posted by: al-mahed

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 07:02 PM

Haha, OMG what a mess! Is that MY room?? laugh

Wow! It worked!

Notice the mess smile My piano is a 1905 Howard, and the keyboard is a Casio Privia 100X.

The stuff all over the floor is sheet music in various guises laugh

At least at the minute you can actually walk in the room, although getting onto the bench can be a little tricky. . .

Cathy
Posted by: apple*

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 07:15 PM

MonticelloDreams.. your room is gorgeous .. so pretty, and deserves to be seen.

may I?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: jazzwee

- SC

Thanks TTigg! It doesn't photograph well because of the light contrast but when I open the curtains, I'm looking at a view from a hill so it really makes piano playing pleasurable. Come on by (W LA)! Seriously!

Hmmm an offer to come "tinkle" on a Steinway in WLA. I have some days off coming up shortly so I just may have to take you up on that! smile
- SC

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: al-mahed
Haha, OMG what a mess! Is that MY room?? laugh

<snort> Sometimes it's worse laugh

Cathy

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 07:51 PM

What great dogs everyone has! They look really sweet.

I love the hundred-year-old pianos, too - mine is so beautiful, even tho it doesn't sound so good you could notice, really.

Do you remember that H.G. Wells story where the aliens split houses in two and transported the people/houses to other places and "matched" them up, as an experiment? They concluded that all the female parents were interchangeable, because the first thing they did was check on the kids, even tho they weren't their own kids laugh Well, since so many people say their piano rooms look like mine, I bet they could do the same thing with piano players and their rooms, and they'd think we were all interchangeable because we'd never notice the difference - we'd just sit down and play! One mess is strangely like another. . .

Cathy
Posted by: JeanieA

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 08:19 PM

This is the BEST kind of real estate voyeurism: a piano in every photo. And dogs, too!

I know Mr. S-H said 'nice' settings, but here's ours:

The upright is a Janssen we've had quite awhile, and yes I know about placement in front of a window. wink We acquired the grand in August (you can read about that angst-ridden purchase here: When to call a tech?.) Dear daughter is on the cusp of leaving the nest, she will finish her student teaching at the end of next month and graduate in early December, and has begged me not to sell the upright as she does not want to be piano-less when she moves out. So it will leave and be retuned in a new home soon.

The Chickering has responded well to tech-treatment and I'm enjoying the heck out of playing it. It may even be featured on PBS's History Detectives... we found some interesting writing under the keybed indicating this piano was somehow involved in two early 'talkie' westerns: The Virginian, 1929, and The Light of the Western Stars, 1930. The TV show people have written me back a couple times asking for more info and pictures; said they wanted to do research to see if it would work out for the show!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 08:27 PM

Great collection of pianos everyone. Keep the pics coming.

If anyone is still unsure how to post a pic, Simply go to www.photobucket.com to host your photos. It is really easy. Heck. I'm doing it right! Once you download your pics to your photobucket site, you simply copy and paste the img link under the pics. That's it!

Everyone has a beautiful set up reflecting their own personal tastes. One thing I've observed so far is that it seems many of us like the room to be just a bit on the bright side. I do too.

Lot's of wood floors and open spaces to reflect and bring out the rich tones.

BB Player, with that powerful 7 foot grand I'd bet you could really pump out some power in your setting. The upper register must really come through and sparkle and your bass must be like thunder. Wow.

MostImprovedDog this home is 2 hours away outside of Flagstaff. It is our Llama ranch.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 08:31 PM

Beautiful pianos JeanieA. BTW, do I see a Luett double pedal spinning wheel in the background?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 08:55 PM

Thanks Apple! (Guess I still haven't figured out the picture posting thing smile

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 09:09 PM

Close, Mr. S-H, it's a Schact Spindle Co. single treadle (but that one treadle is a whopper!). I wondered if you guys did any spinning with all those llamas around. I have a second wheel and a floor loom in a back bedroom too, had our own flock of sheep until recently as well. I still do some spinning during the winter, when I have the time (read: NO yardwork!) and love to take this wheel and all kinds of fiber samples to my elementary school to demonstrate during our Colonial Week. The kids are always so shocked to see me out of my element: I actually teach computer classes!
Posted by: Sam S

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 09:14 PM

Here's my Yamaha UX1 and my spinet harpsichord. I built the harpsichord from a kit over 30 years ago:

And here's the piano I practice on during my lunch hour at work, a Yamaha G5. It's worn out and never in tune but fun to play:

And I can't compete with Mr. S-H's log palace, but here's my Georgia farmhouse:

Sam

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 09:17 PM

Apple, They are soooo beautiful. This is what a society might be like in the old days.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 09:46 PM

Oh, Sam. how beautiful your home and the setting!

Everyone's pictures are terrific, I am so enjoying this thread!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 10:00 PM

All these 2 piano homes are giving me piano envy! laugh Keep the pics coming!

Apple, your "music room" is incredibly beautiful!

Sam, what a perfect picture postcard view you posted! Are your leaves turning already? It's just gorgeous. I do still love that harpsichord!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 10:21 PM

Well, if we're doing exteriors, here's where my piano is housed:

Posted by: crogersrx

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 10:22 PM

My piano room.

Not my piano room, nor my harpsichord, but I do get to tune it and play it whenever I want to.
Posted by: BenPiano

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 10:24 PM

My Kawai upright (a little blurry, no flash):

While most of my practice takes place in my man-cave:

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 11:04 PM

Sam, your harpsichord is super-cool. I love the sound of them. "Hauntingly" beautiful.

Greg (BB Player), I have serious lawn envy. I hope you have a nice lawn tractor to manicure your personal rolling greens. Really nice.
Posted by: ShiroKuro

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 11:38 PM

Ok, I just took some vaguely grainy photos of my digital piano with my iPhone.

Last week, I cleaned off the top and arranged to keep my scores differently, so it looks like this:

Because the top is cleaned off, when I work on these 11-page pieces that I am currently obsessed with, it looks like this:

Here is a little bit of the room. Not bad for grad student life!

And, I can't resist sharing some photos of "the one that got away," these are two photos of the piano I owned when we lived in Japan. Some of you may remember me going on and on about how much I loved this piano, and how it broke my heart to sell it! (and the story about the fellow who bought it...)

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 11:39 PM

Pete, thumb

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/05/10 11:43 PM

Oh, and I forgot to say:

You people with two acoustic pianos are making me cry!!!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/06/10 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: ShiroKuro
Oh, and I forgot to say:

You people with two acoustic pianos are making me cry!!!

ditto!!!
Posted by: joyoussong

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/06/10 11:20 AM

(Sure hope this works!) This is my corner:

Posted by: MrHazelton

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/06/10 12:03 PM

Ben,

Is that a K5? Looks similar to my K5, but mine is a different color (French Mahogany).
Posted by: MaryBee

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/06/10 01:52 PM

Ben, love the artwork above your digital! You've got some interesting stuff to the right, too... especially the Scrabble game!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/06/10 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryBee
Ben, love the artwork above your digital! You've got some interesting stuff to the right, too... especially the Scrabble game!

ooops, I forgot about the picture! There goes my anonymity on piano world! grin

There is all kinds of stuff in this room. It's pretty much a total disaster!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/06/10 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: MrHazelton
Ben,

Is that a K5? Looks similar to my K5, but mine is a different color (French Mahogany).

Yes, a K5. My oldest uses it for lessons and practice, and I use it mostly for playing only and not practice.

My wife especially likes the practice pedal feature! ha

Re: Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/06/10 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: CMohr
All these 2 piano homes are giving me piano envy! laugh Keep the pics coming!

Apple, your "music room" is incredibly beautiful!

Sam, what a perfect picture postcard view you posted! Are your leaves turning already? It's just gorgeous. I do still love that harpsichord!

That is not my music room.. it belongs to MonticelloDreams.. i will post mine later.

Re: Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/06/10 04:24 PM

Apple - I realized my mistake much too late to edit. (oops!)

Still would love to see your room, too!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/06/10 05:15 PM

my pianoroom is a corner of our livingroom

to the left is a door which goes into my office.. and therein is my organ.. you can see the bench actually in the top photo.

Posted by: AnotherSchmoe

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/06/10 06:42 PM

Not much to see here, but thanks goes to Jotur and a few others for giving me the courage to post. whome

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/06/10 07:49 PM

Apple, The piano and organ are great - The paintings are really what caught my eye. Are you the artist? I love them!
Posted by: FormerFF

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/06/10 08:31 PM

Nothing fancy here, just an old grey market Kawai in a basic suburban house room. The guitars belong to daughter #2, daughter #1 plays piano. Still, we're grateful that we have it and that we have a place to put it. It would be nice to upgrade someday, but between the cost of raising a family and the weak job and investment climate, that's not looking too likely.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/06/10 09:00 PM

Very nice Apple! I also love the art.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/06/10 09:03 PM

AnotherSchmoe, I love the idea of hooking up a component speaker/subwoofer system to your digital. I have a nice digital piano as well but the weak link (other than pedal response) are the speakers. A component speaker system hooked up to the audio output could make any digital sound incredible. I guess you would just have to have a powered sub which could also power the mids/tweets.

Love the electric drums as well. (I'm a drummer!)

KEEP THE PICS COMING EVERYONE.

Messy rooms don't need to be cleaned and clean rooms don't need to be "lived in" looking. Who cares?, this is NOT any type of a contest. Just show us your piano room. Everyone. The more the better.
Posted by: MartinJB

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/06/10 09:56 PM

Here's my Clavinola. I also have a 2.1 speaker system hook up to mine.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/06/10 10:35 PM

Love the electric drums as well. (I'm a drummer!)

Thanks, though it's not a real electric drum set, it's from a Guitar Hero Xbox game that I purchased a couple of years back but the drums for the game no longer work (got shorted out). It draws attention away from the mess of cables that's dangling from the TV, and so I haven't chucked it yet. crazy

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 04:33 AM

This is the only one I have (right now) of the Piano I have been learning on through the summer. I will try and get more pictures (if you want) in a few months.
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11356806/My%20Movie_0001.bmp[/img]
Posted by: Sam S

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 08:22 AM

Love that organ Apple - I'm envious.

Sam
Posted by: dmsynck

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 09:23 AM

Here is mine. An inherited 1952 Steinway model "40"

Posted by: Monica K.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 11:56 AM

I've been scrambling with work/life issues so don't have the time to take a good photograph of the piano room, but here are two photos I have already stored and resized on my computer:

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
I've been scrambling with work/life issues so don't have the time to take a good photograph of the piano room, but here are two photos I have already stored and resized on my computer:

Ssshh don't tell Ludovico that David's book is up there smile Great room and great piano Monica. I gotta see about taking a snap of my room today.. thumb
- SC

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 12:12 PM

laugh

That photo is misleading in some respects: (a) The plant is long dead, (b) I have one of Peyton's paintings hanging on the wall now instead of the rock print, (c) it doesn't show my sheet music organizer, and (d) the woman sitting on the bench has a few more wrinkles, grey hairs, and pounds these days. wink
Posted by: Piano World

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 12:59 PM

Cool house Mr. SH (starter of this thread).

Some good looking piano rooms in this thread, keep them coming.

Unfortunately the fearless leader of Piano World has neither a nice house, nor a nice piano frown

Now you know why I keep asking people to host Piano Forums parties, but don't host any myself :-)

But... I still have fun playing!!

Here is my piano and "music room"...

At least it's at the end of the "music hall"

And here is my assistant Kirby taking a break...

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Piano World

And here is my assistant Kirby taking a break...

Aha! Now we know who the brains of the outfit is! grin

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 01:40 PM

that is definitely the cutest dog ever.

(those paintings are my own and used church organs can be obtained VERY cheaply if you happen to have a contact)
Posted by: Piano*Dad

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 01:52 PM

A current view of the piano room.

Another view from a few years ago, when we still had the older Kawai. This gives more of a sense of the height of the room. It started out as a reading room / sun room. I got tired of having my piano in a dead sounding low-ceilinged room, so I tried it in here with better results.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 02:27 PM

Monica, that is a really nice pic of you. (not flirting, well maybe a little!) but I still like the pics in the blue slinky dress the best.

Frank, shouldn't that amp have a Stratocaster hooked up to it?. Holy cow can that thing put out some sound. Very cool idea with the music wall hallway btw.

Piano*Dad, that is an incredible room/setup you have. Does your entire house sparkle like that?? Wow, very nice.

Here is a pic from our Scottsdale house a couple of years ago.

P.S, parading livestock through the house on white carpet = REALLY bad idea! At least I won a coffee mug from it!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 02:39 PM

I love that picture.

I think M&H should use it in their ads :-)

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 02:48 PM

"M&H: Choice of discriminating llamas everywhere!"

(Pretty critter, I'd love to get my hands on some of that lovely llama fleece!)

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 02:48 PM

LOL!! S&H that is a great picture, love it. Llamas really are beautiful creatures.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 02:54 PM

Love the dogs and llama, they give that little something extra to all these beautiful instruments/rooms we are enjoying; sharing with one another. Each one is special and unique. Thanks for sharing everyone & the idea Mr S-H! thumb

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 03:01 PM

I think it may be an Alpaca

Mr. S-H?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 03:14 PM

Fuzzy (phone) pics but here's the latest..

The Piano Bar

Pictures on the wall currently are Billy Joel & Elton John. Others including my signed Einaudi photo going up soon..

The Home Office / Practice Room

I also have a Yamaha YPG-635 in the office @ work to maximize my practice time!
- SC

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 03:22 PM

While we're on the topic of dogs, meet Aloo! The first 2 pics were taken shortly after we got her back in 2003, she was up for adoption at a PetCo store (they said that the police had found her wandering the streets of Little Rock all alone, poor thing!) The rest of the pics were taken this summer. grin

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Piano World
I think it may be an Alpaca

Mr. S-H?

Nope, they are all Llamas. Here is a pic of their "house"

JeanieA, you can check out our Llama ranch site (fleece/fiber) here:

www.pinnaclepeakllamaranch.com
Posted by: Piano*Dad

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 03:36 PM

Llucky llamas! They get to gaze at sunflowers and sun kissed hills. That's the llap of lluxury!

Originally Posted By: Mr. S-H
Does your entire house sparkle like that??

Haa, chuckle, chuckle. We've got two teens in the house. smile
Posted by: ab-ster

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 03:47 PM

Hahahah these are very nice pictures of piano rooms. Some are just too funy.

Here is mine. No pets / cattles / shoes are allowed in my room though, and not quite a louge either.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 04:56 PM

Very nice ab-ster!

Silent upright (headphones on top) for practice? What are they both (other than gorgeous!)

Thanks for sharing
- SC

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 05:28 PM

Very nice ab-ster!

Silent upright (headphones on top) for practice? What are they both (other than gorgeous!)

Thanks for sharing
- SC

Thanks! Yes, the upright has practice mute, but not quite silent. I use it for practice when I don't want lots of noise. My 6 year old daughter likes the upright better than the grand for some reason. Maybe it's the crispyness of the sound.

The upright is a 52" Diapason made by Kawaii. The grand is Steinway B.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: ab-ster
Very nice ab-ster!

Thanks for sharing
- SC

Thanks! Yes, the upright has practice mute, but not quite silent. I use it for practice when I don't want lots of noise. My 6 year old daughter likes the upright better than the grand for some reason. Maybe it's the crispyness of the sound.

The upright is a 52" Diapason made by Kawaii. The grand is Steinway B.

Drool.... thumb
- SC
Posted by: Konzert Patrick

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 06:03 PM

How great to look inside all your beautiful homes... here in Europe houses are smaller but here it goes....

My living/music room when I still had a rug under the piano:

I always have two devoted listeners ... One is Tom...

... Second one is Puk, he can sleep and snore like an old man through any piece I play ....

Then I decided, no need for a rug under this beautiful piano with it gentle voice...So now it looks like this smile

Hope you all like the room where I spend most of my day!

PS, When the sun is out I have sunscreens down to protect it from the sun, when I leave I always make sure I close a curtain...... thumb

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 06:32 PM

This is so great! What's better than seeing everyone's pianos and pets?!

The piano dog pics of Kirby, Aloo and Puk are too cute!

Hey Mr. SH - I really had to stare at your picture of the llama by your piano, trying to figure out if it was photoshopped...really a llama in the house!?! That's pretty cool and worth more than a few chuckles!
Posted by: Demian P.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 07:03 PM

Good post!
Here it is some pictures of my room and Kawai CL 35.

(including the telescope!) smile

And this is my son playing (he play better than me).

Posted by: Strings & Wood

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 07:03 PM

Great pics!
This was taken several months back.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 07:05 PM

Here's my piano "lounge"...Oh, wait! This isn't mine, but the lobby in Anaheim where we spent our anniversary. laugh I did get to plink a little, though.
/

Here's mine. (Not nearly as nice as MR.SH's but glad to have it!) My 1906 Wellington I've had since I was seven years old. I'm loving seeing everyone's pics.

You have a beautiful upright. (see bottom of CMohr's post)

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 07:16 PM

Quote:

Did you by it new?

....just kidding laugh

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 07:27 PM

This is pre-Schimmel when we still live in the mountains. This is a 1907ish Kranich & Bach. At the time I was not playing and it was mostly a furniture piece. My grandson has it now and he is suppose to begin lessons next year. Can't wait to do a duet!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 07:31 PM

Wow! Some seriously beautiful pianos and settings here (and the pets are cute too!). Keep 'em coming!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 07:37 PM

And last, my little buddy.

Yeah, that is a lot of snow!
Posted by: Les Koltvedt

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 07:43 PM

My 1919 Mason & Hamlin A at Christmas.

and my first rebuild, a 1909 S&S AII with Mason our westie.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 07:47 PM

I am giving up. I've been trying to upload pics but I can't seem to be able to figure it out. I've made the Photobucket account, uploaded the pics there. If I copy and paste the Photobucket URL into the post and try to preview, it does not work. Must be missing a step. I'm frustrated.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 07:52 PM

When your looking at your photos in Photobucket, click on the "Direct Link", go back to PWorld and select the forth icon from the left - "enter an image" and paste. (this is in the full reply mode). Otherwise select the IMG Code in PBucket and just paste it directly into the short reply form...

good luck

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: MrHazelton
I am giving up. I've been trying to upload pics but I can't seem to be able to figure it out. I've made the Photobucket account, uploaded the pics there. If I copy and paste the Photobucket URL into the post and try to preview, it does not work. Must be missing a step. I'm frustrated.

Here is what I did (may or may not help)

1. Prepare your post
2. Click on the 4th icon in row that begins with the smiley
3. Select first drop down option (non floating image)
4. Past in your link details (address of the image URL)
5. Then Click OK
6. Then click the preview post and hopefully that should do it..

- SC

(edited) Me & Les were both typing this at the same time smile

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 08:04 PM

Spoon-fed picture posting instructions:

Step 1.) Go to www.photobucket.com and open a free hosting account

Step 2.) Upload your digital pics from your computer to your new photobucket acct.

Step 3.) Once your images are in your photobucket account, click on the pic you want to post to enlarge it.

Step 4.) Once the picture is enlarged on your screen, you will see a few different links under the image. "Click" on the link that begins withj [img] and it will automatically copy the image.

Step 5.) Now go into the Pianoworld thread and right click in your reply. Hit "Paste" and it will post your pic.

That's it, now stop goofin' up and do it!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 08:05 PM

and I my fingers must be JUST A LITTLE BIT FASTER hahaha jk

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 08:08 PM

BTW, just just LOVE this thread. It's like a visual piano picture orgy!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 08:11 PM

hey s-h... I like that way you think...

We use to have a local boogie-woogie concert that was named the Piano Orgy, but the sponsors didn't really like it, so now it's called the Annual Blues & Boogie Piano Celebration

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 08:16 PM

for mr super-hunky

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: apple*
for mr super-hunky

you'll know who to call now

Now that's roflmao funny
Posted by: DanLaura Larson

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 08:43 PM

I'm really loving this thread too.

And to Apple, that youtube video was fantastic.

Dan

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 08:51 PM

Thank you all for your assistance with uploading my pictures. Here they are.

First, my K5.

Next, my recently finished basement with a Roland MP300 and a Alesis QS6. I bought the Roland about 11 years ago when I was in the Coast Guard. It was my first "good" piano. The Alesis is a 1990's synth (1995 maybe???), but I recently bought it for cheap off of a friend. It's a lot of fun. I'm not done wiring the surround sound in the basement (for a home theater, not my instruments). That's why you see wires hanging from the wall.
And finally, the only pets we have at the moment.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 08:53 PM

Glad we could help, sweet keys!
- SC

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 08:59 PM

Oh, har-de-har-har, Carl....I hope I'm still playing when I'm 104! Very cute pooch you have, too! And very nice mt. home you have (had).

And -

Thank you Mr.Hazelton! Cute birds!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 09:03 PM

Here's a song for Mr. SH. laugh

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 09:49 PM

for mr super-hunky

you'll know who to call now

i can't stop LOL-ing....
Posted by: Maharishi

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/07/10 10:47 PM

Hello all! smile
Well, here they are:

First, our Hellel upright in our French “salon”…

Next, in my “den”, the Yamaha CP5, complete with Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers...

And last, on my “wish list” (please, Santa) grin

Great, aren't they ('specially the last one!!)
Posted by: Larry B

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 07:42 AM

Lovely rooms and lovely pianos (and great furry (and feathery) friends)! Here's a couple of home...

...and here's the digital (pets included) at our tiny cabin in Maine...

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 08:57 AM

Quote:
And last, on my “wish list” (please, Santa)
thumb

Never waste a wish, I say.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 08:59 AM

Nice! Larry B.
How do you like your acoustical panels?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Strings & Wood
Nice! Larry B.
How do you like your acoustical panels?

They help an awful lot - the difference is not subtle. The room was very live...lots of reflections and little to absorb any sound. I put these four up above the piano, as well as three more on the sloped ceiling at the opposite end of the room. It worked wonders, although in truth I'd like to add a few more panels at the highest part of the ceiling, just to deaden it a little more.

I also put three on the wall behind the home theater speakers at the opposite end of the room. The quality of the sound from that, and the intelligibility of speech coming from the TV, improved a great deal as well.

These came from acoustimac.com.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 10:49 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures of your beautiful room Larry and also for the additional information about the acoustic panels. As you can see from the photo of my room, I have a space that's very similar to yours. Although it has more furniture and carpeting now than in the picture I posted, it is still very "live". I'm going to be installing some acoustic panels laugh

Thanks again.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 11:26 AM

Those are the most attractive acoustic panel treatments I've ever seen, Larry. They fit right in with the room decor. thumb

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 02:38 PM

Those are the most attractive acoustic panel treatments I've ever seen, Larry. They fit right in with the room decor. thumb

Thank you! Well...I can say that the room decor is entirely my wife's domain, and anything that didn't fit right in simply wasn't going to happen. smile Perfect motivation to keep looking for the right product!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 02:52 PM

Larry, very nice setting. I need sum skoolin' however. Actually, serious question as I don't understand something.

I've always been told (and observed) that on a grand piano, most of the sound is transmitted *down* which is why many people place some type of rug/carpet whatever under the piano to absorb/muffle the sound a bit.

While your acoustic panels do blend in virtually undetected on the ceiling, what effect do they have up there? Is it to soften/deaden the sound that is being reflected from below?

I guess my question is I could see sound being bounced off a bare wood floor to the surrounding walls and ceiling but wouldn't an absorbing floor matterial (carpet/rug etc) prevent that?

I'm just trying to understand something regarding room acoustics that I may not fully understand as your piano room does not seem too bright with the rug you have under the piano. Again, I love your setting and am looking forward to gaining some more info on room acoustics.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Posted by: Johan B

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 03:53 PM

Hi there,

The place where I play music of Bach and more......

and what's up.......Bach French Suite BWV812

Best regards,
Johan B

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 04:05 PM

I've always been told (and observed) that on a grand piano, most of the sound is transmitted *down* which is why many people place some type of rug/carpet whatever under the piano to absorb/muffle the sound a bit.

While your acoustic panels do blend in virtually undetected on the ceiling, what effect do they have up there? Is it to soften/deaden the sound that is being reflected from below?

Even with a rug under the piano, there's a lot of sound coming from the instrument (both off the floor and directly).

One thing that can ruin good sound is too much reflected sound. In a hard room, you can have sound from the same initial source (say, the attack of a single note) reflecting multiple times around the room, interfering with itself, and hitting your ears at many multiple times. Too much of this can make the sound muddy, brittle, or otherwise harsh. It gets exponentially worse when you play lots of notes and increase the overall sound level and complexity.

It's not so much about volume as it is about clarity. But the un-clarity can make a reasonable volume sound uncomfortable and louder than it really is, not to mention generally harsh and unpleasant.

In my case, I just had too many reflections off too many surfaces and it didn't sound good. The rug was only the first necessary step.

It's important to note how much this treatment improved the intelligibility of the TV at the other end of the room. We used to sometimes put on the subtitles because it was hard to catch the dialog at times when there was background noise or music in the program. The loudspeakers are very very good, and sounded spectacular in a different room, but this room was live enough that it was hard to understand simple spoken words if there was a "busy" background. We used to turn the volume up to try to understand more easily - but then it was too loud.

The panels directly behind and above the speakers made this problem go away. Dialog became perfectly clear, even at low volumes and with lots of background sounds in the program. The early reflections off the ceiling and walls were making everything garbled.

Without some reflected sound, a room sounds dead, which is also unpleasant. The best thing is to balance reflections with direct sound, and to have those reflections diffuse the sound rather than reflect it linearly (meaning: surfaces that don't reflect sound like a clear mirror reflects light in straight lines, but more like a frosted mirror disperses it incoherently).

In this case, the room is pretty good now, but could be even better with a little less hard, smooth reflective surface.
Posted by: AlphaTerminus

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 04:24 PM

A monster has overtaken my dining room:
Posted by: Uncle George

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 04:41 PM

Larry B: Is your piano a S&S model C? In the picture
it looks biggger than a B.
The room looks great.

Uncle Geore
Posted by: jazzyprof

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 05:11 PM

Wow, AlphaTerminus, what a lovely room, lovely piano, lovely picture! I love the reflection of the trees in the music desk and the dreamy "soft focus" effect makes the whole thing look like a painting.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 05:57 PM

Thanks for the explanation Larry. Many of us spend lots-O-cash on good pianos. We spend additional money on good digital recorders but seriously drop the ball on proper acoustic settings. This is why I ask.

I've been told that EVERYTHING is important but I'd bet a lot of us only score good on piano tune and recording quality. (although I haven't perfected the latter either). When it comes to setting up proper room acoustics, we may not be as well informed.

I'd love for someone to do a spoon-fed tutorial on setting up proper room acoustics sometime. Most of us just play with a floor rug (or not) under the piano and see what happens. That's about it.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 06:55 PM

Mr S.H.,

There's a pretty good discussion of piano replacement and acoustics in the Piano Buyers Guide, pp. 110 ("How to make a piano room sound grand"). Click on the Piano Buyers Guide icon on the right hand side of this page and then go to the table of contents to select that chapter.

In addition to Larry's excellent explanation, one thing I'll add is that are three areas that need to be paid attention to with respect to music (either a piano or audio) in a room: high frequency reflections, mid-range timbre and low frequency wave propagation. Larry touched on the first two which are usually dealt with via a combination of soft surfaces and irregular items (e.g., book cases or plants) in a room but an area that is frequently ignored is the bass. A grand piano (especially a BB laugh ) is able to produce thunderous bass. The problem is that the wavelength for bass is much longer than for midrange or treble so that low b-flat that you hit is going to be around for a long time. If you're playing say an Alberti bass at a fairly low register what you'll hear is "muddy" sounding bass. This is because the bass is reaching your ears at a later time than the midrange or treble and, being of a longer wavelength, if you play e.g., B1, C1, B2 the first B is still "sounding" while the C and second B are also reaching your ears.

The solution to this is usually something to absorb bass energy. The company that Larry provided a link for sells "bass traps". These absorb some of the low frequency sounds and keep it from reflecting. These are generally placed in corners.

You're right that most pianists (and audiophiles) ignore the room acoustics. I've seen people that have spent deep 6 figures on a stereo system and put it in absolutely the worst acoustic environment. They'd be much better off with a $3k system and $1k in room treatments.

I'm in the process of tuning the room that my piano is in now - it suffers from all of the maladies but most especially "slap echo" (go into your piano room, clap your hands, listen) which abnormally accentuates the mids and treble. Once I have that under control, the bass is next. It's an iterative process but the result will be worth it!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 09:06 PM

very interesting BB.. my piano sits in a corner with a lower ceiling.. the area fans out into a high ceilinged huge area. close to me when i hear the piano, the bass is heavy.. further away the tone is balanced. i don't know that i'd change the acoustics for the player since the listeners could hear nicely.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 09:37 PM

Thanks for the in depth info BB. I was aware that different frequencies travel at different speeds but never really though further about it. Especially how it applies to the low and high frequency speeds transmitted from a grand piano.

It now makes perfect sense although many of us will need to do some room tuning to correct for our current challenges.

Good info from both of you. Thanks.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/08/10 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: ab-ster
Hahahah these are very nice pictures of piano rooms. Some are just too funy.

Here is mine. No pets / cattles / shoes are allowed in my room though, and not quite a louge either.

i think this is my favorite...im sooo jello. This is what i want my house to look like. What brands are these beauties?
Posted by: KurtZ

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 02:12 AM

Sound waves. no matter the frequency, all travel at the same speed in the same medium.* Air is an *almost* perfect medium for sound. If there is a difference in arrival time, it is because the later arriving sound took a longer path to the arrival point. When a room is muddy it is because as BB said, there is time smear from the longer wavelengths/low frequencies arriving again and again as they bounce back and forth in the room. Higher frequencies are at somewhat of a disadvantage because they are more affected by the friction of the air molecules so they can't carry on as long bouncing back and forth. In a home sized room, even in a small auditorium, high frequency attenuation from air friction is a non factor. When we talk about acoustics, we are never worried about the direct sound, the sound from the sound producers going straight to our ears. It's the sound that goes past our ears, hits something and comes back at us again that we have to capture, control and redirect to give us the right amount of smooth balanced reverb off the walls and direct sound.

If the room is bass heavy you can move the piano away from the walls and the corners. If the piano is thin you can move it towards a wall or corner or just to a different point in the room. It may improve the sound if your ears are moved out of the anti-node caused by a room mode (based on dimensions and unfixable) A harsh sound can be mellowed by some absorptive surfaces and even better, plenty of diffraction (scattering) by adding more unevenness to the surfaces. If it's fluffy, it'll absorb high frequencies. If it's flat and hard it'll bounce highs and mids. Bass frequencies can only be partially tamed through trapping.

In a general purpose music room, I think absorbtion and non-parallel walls are over sold and what most people need is more diffusion. If I was going to record in the room, I would certainly want a "tighter" room with more traps and bass control. Of course there are times, like as cited above, where a few well placed absorbers are exactly what is needed. I think however that because so much of what we learn and read is based on recording studio design that some rooms are needlessly made too dead.

Oh, someone mentioned, the clap test. It really does work but you kind of have to know what to listen for and that takes some time and having clapped in a lot of spaces.

Another thing that comes to mind is the use of furniture grade eggcrate foam for panels. It's cheap but it's not fire rated and when it burns, it burns fast, releases toxic smoke and drips burning globules that spread the flames. Please don't use it. Get your absorbers from sources that certify their foam and name the test standard.

Auralex makes some not too hideous looking, not too expensive traps and diffusers and they have a really good intro to room acoustics and the differences in theory and use of traps, absorbers and diffusers. They also go into sound control both into and out of the room. On their site, look for the Acoustics 101 pdf. They'll do free analysis, where you send them a sketch and the intended use of the room and they make recommendation of how much of which of their products you should use. I didn't check it out but you can also record the results of an impulse test that you download, send it back to them and they send you a more in depth analysis. This however, is not free. Check the site for more info.

Crutchfields, the home and car stereo people have a good, really tight, and accessible 5 pages on acoustics on their site. The slant is towards home theater but the principles are sound. (forgive the unintended pun)

Kurt

*sound travels at about 768 miles per hour or a mile in 5 seconds.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle George

Nope...that's a plain old 1999 New York B. I can only hope to grow enough as a player to do it justice...

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 07:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Larry B
Originally Posted By: Uncle George

Nope...that's a plain old 1999 New York B.

Oh, here we were all impressed and everything but if it's only a Steinway B well then, never mind. laugh laugh

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 07:40 AM

Originally Posted By: KurtZ
Another thing that comes to mind is the use of furniture grade eggcrate foam for panels. It's cheap but it's not fire rated and when it burns, it burns fast, releases toxic smoke and drips burning globules that spread the flames. Please don't use it. Get your absorbers from sources that certify their foam and name the test standard.

Excellent advice.
Posted by: piRround

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 09:38 AM

I'm so impressed by all of these! Here's my setup. Wish it were in a gorgeous oceanfront cottage but my four room duplex has to suffice for now.
My keyboard is a Casio PX330. Lately, I've been using it mainly as a controller for my new fledgling hobby of collecting vintage synths (notice my custom made synth rack that my boyfriend just completed).

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 11:12 AM

Ok smile I will be able to post my pic on 21 October, after delivery.
Posted by: 2picky4most

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 01:57 PM

Hello Konzert Patrick,

As lovely as your piano pics are, what caused me to go say O.M.G was the photo of your lab, Tom. My stomach flip-flopped, & my heart skipped a beat at seeing your Tom. His resemblance to our poor departed Forest is uncanny. I would say Tom is a cloned Forest, but that is impossible since Forest was never bred, & we live in Canada. Tom's head size, the angle & size of his ears, his muzzle, chest and facial expression are that of our poor Forest. Would I be correct in assuming Tom is an English lab? Forest was an English lab (black) with both parents being champion gun dogs. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, Forest was gun shy,& we're not hunters, but he excelled in obedience trials. I surmise from the date the photo was taken that Tom was no more than 2-3yrs, just getting into his prime. Our Forest died last year at 15 1/2 yrs from old age, & we are lucky to have him buried close by. We have no plans to get another lab -too soon still- but we do have 3 cats, 1 of whom, like Forest, enjoys listening to me play. Enough of my babbling. May you have many, many happy years with Tom, and of course Puk.

2P4M

What is the art work the by the piano? I really like it. How many panels does it consist of?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 02:26 PM

KurtZ, thank you for the additional explanation re room acoustics. I clearly understand what you are saying as well as I have taken a ported subwoofer and moved it approx 2 inches away from a corner in the room and the bass can get almost too much. Really deep and exceptionally boomy.

Just moving it a few more inches away from the wall/corner makes an INCREDIBLE difference. (I capitalized "INCREDIBLE" on purpose!).

If just such a minor change in position of the sub woofer in the corner of a room can make such a HUGE difference in sound it produces, imagine how improved the sound from a thunderous grand piano could be improved if it's just "tuned" for the room correctly.

Again,(worth repeating), I'd bet a LOT of us screw this area up. (room tuning). I know for a fact I am!

While it may be easier to pay more money for better pianos and higher quality digital recorders, that still does NOT solve one of the main problems.........yup....ROOM ACOUSTICS.

I guess I am somewhat of a hypocrit as I totally agree that room acoustics are paramount, yet I am still screwing up my own. Probably because it it not easy to get set up correctly and will take some time experimenting with trial & error. I should probably start spending more time in that area as opposed to messing with mic placement and gain control settings (although they're both important too).

Nothing is easy anymore!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 02:40 PM

AnotherSchmoe: I made the hideous mistake of clicking on "the llama song" in the presence of my 11 year old son, who became immediately captivated by it and insisted on replaying it roughly 2,445 times. You owe me. smokin
Posted by: GlassLove

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 03:54 PM

Hahahaha Monica!!!
I saw the llama song and thought "Thank God, I don't have to listen to that any longer!!" My children were obsessed with that song, memorized the lyrics, incessantly played it on the computer and made references to it when they weren't around a computer, for at least 3 months straight (this about 2 years ago). Hope I have given you a little light at the end of the tunnel, although three months is an awfully long time! Fortunately, the novelty of that (along with the dreaded hamster dance song, and anything by Crazy Frog), has worn off. They are now super into the Old Spice commercials. If one of my sons claims that he is on a horse one more time........ahhhhhhh!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 04:20 PM

AnotherSchmoe: I made the hideous mistake of clicking on "the llama song" in the presence of my 11 year old son, who became immediately captivated by it and insisted on replaying it roughly 2,445 times. You owe me. smokin

LOL, sorry about that. I guess I should have put a no-kids disclaimer! whome

I was introduced to it about a year ago by my sister and Mr. SH's llamas made me think of it again. It's fairly amusing in a nonsensical sort of way but I imagine that the novelty would wear off quickly if I had to listen to it over and over. sick
Posted by: Rachel J

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 06:15 PM

Steinway L in my Brooklyn brownstone apartment. It's an interior room with an open doorway into the front room.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 06:28 PM

Sra Jimenez,

It's delightful to see your name again on the forums. I have missed your calm thoughtful voice in the teacher's forum.

Kurt

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 06:31 PM

The Llama song. Oh, do I know that. We all learned it on the way to a river rafting trip and sang it to the other boats going down the river. I don't remember the site, but when it was put up on the original site, It somehow disabled the pause/play button so the only way to get it to stop was to quit and restart the browser.

Kurt

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 06:45 PM

(thank you mr. pianoworld)

since we are showing piano dogs....

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 07:26 PM

Rachel,

Wonderful work space, and love that S&S L... just wondering how your neighbors are about the sound? Do they hear it much? I plan on moving to San Francisco next May, and inner city living is much like NYC, so I'm looking for any food for thought that I can get on preparing to look for a place to live. I have roughly the same size piano as your S&S L. Do your neighbors upstairs/downstairs complain of the noise? Do you have any sound barriers?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Monica K.AnotherSchmoe: I made the hideous mistake of clicking on "the llama song" in the presence of my 11 year old son, who became immediately captivated by it and insisted on replaying it roughly 2,445 times. You owe me.

The "Llama song" is an evil drug. Once you hear it you are bitten. Should any children hear it, you are doomed.

I speak the truth.

Llama llama llama llama llama llama llama llama llama llama llama llama duck.

Should you have just read this. You have one of two options. They are mentioned above.

Sorry.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 08:30 PM

Apple - your dog (he/she) is just adorable!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 09:38 PM

Apple - your dog (he/she) is just adorable!

Ditto Apple, how old is he/she?
Posted by: Augustina

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 09:48 PM

I love the pictures of all the Piano rooms! Someday I'll have a grand piano..or just a full size one:) For now here is my little keyboard:) I took the picture with my phone so it's a little fuzzy

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 10:32 PM

i think our dog is 4. We bought him at the church auction.. paid way too much for him. He really loves us and piano music. he's a schnauzer rat terrier mix.
Posted by: Rachel J

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/09/10 10:41 PM

Thanks Kurtz and krogersrx.

I do well with the neighbors. Every time I move, I make sure they know I'm a piano teacher and are comfortable with that beforehand. That is really essential. Some people say "no way" right off the bat, and those are the people that would be the complainers. In my current situation, the landlord and I talked to the people upstairs and downstairs before any lease was signed. I told them about my hours and everything. Both people had the attitude that it would be nice to hear some music and kind of cool to have a music teacher in the building. Those are the kind of people you want around you. I teach 25 hours a week, and there hasn't been the slightest complaint. The only soundproofing is a carpet under the piano. But it is a pre-war brownstone, so though I'm sure they hear the piano clearly, I bet it's not too bad.

Just be up front about it. It will take longer to find a place, but you will have better luck with the neighbors!
Posted by: jlynne

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/10/10 04:51 AM

My "new" piano dog. Until I got the piano, she refused to set foot in this room. Now, she rarely leaves. It's so flattering!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/10/10 05:06 AM

Hello 2P4M

I have send you a private message

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/10/10 07:40 AM

i think our dog is 4. We bought him at the church auction.. paid way too much for him. He really loves us and piano music. he's a schnauzer rat terrier mix.

I'm sure he's paid you back by now! cute puppy

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/10/10 01:19 PM

JLYNNE - Ah, the power of music! It makes us all feel better. Our dog really likes my husbands singing, and puts up with my playing.
Posted by: fliper

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/10/10 02:54 PM

Very nice rooms and pianos.

Here is my setup. It is not exactly a room...

Posted by: ewaite

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/10/10 08:51 PM

This is my 106 year old Otto Grau

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/10/10 09:01 PM

Hay fliper..

welcome. I don't know that we've ever had a member from Angola!
Posted by: Andromaque

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/10/10 09:08 PM

Ed
I very much enjoyed your pictorial of "Otto Grau"'s restoration. It is fantastic. How long did the whole thing take you to finish. More importantly how does the centenarian piano sound?? Was the soundboard also 100 years old??
Posted by: ewaite

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/11/10 12:15 AM

Hi Andromaque,

Glad you enjoyed the photos. I have around 150-200 hours in it I still have a lot to do on the action, I have all new felt except hammers, and I would like to get them before I tear the action down. The sound board and pin block are original and had no cracks or loose pins. I think it sounds good but, I really don't know. It needs to be tuned a few more times. I am just trying to learn to play. It makes a great conversation piece and has been a tremendous learning experience. I am now working on a 1909 Melville Clark Apollo Player, should have it done before I learn to play, (Maybe)

Ed
Posted by: fliper

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/11/10 05:05 AM

Hay fliper..

welcome. I don't know that we've ever had a member from Angola!

Thanks, apple. I am Portuguese but I am in Angola now. I was reading this forum about one year. After purchase the DP and Alfred All In One 1 book, I started to put some posts.
Posted by: John_R

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/11/10 04:25 PM

WOW!!!
Posted by: CebuKid

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/11/10 09:38 PM

Great pictures everyone! I really enjoyed seeing everyone's piano rooms! What impresses me the most is the level of passion and commitment from you all - especially those with grand pianos/high-end acoustics and those with acoustic and "practice" digital pianos.

I'm trying to convince the wifey to let me have a man-cave too with a nice digital piano (kind of like what BenPiano and TTig have). smile

Embarrassingly, my piano is just a Chinese mass-produced, bare-bones acoustic (I purchased this before I discovered the forums). It's been described by some as having a nice "bouncy" sound to it which actually suits my ragtime playing. However, as my ear matured and got more discriminating, I'm now dissatisfied with it..it lacks that rich, sonorous bass sound. That said, it's really not worth a posted picture...

As I'm in the midst of a life/career setback right now ( frown ) a piano upgrade (which I've talked about before) is currently out of the question, but I'll definitely resurrect this thread with a posted pic. once I do get it.

Now for the shameless plug: if you guys really do want to see my piano, it's on my U-Tube channel. blush (LOL)

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/11/10 10:12 PM

nice!
Posted by: Paul S.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/13/10 04:59 PM

Well, first up is a pic of my first piano. It was free - hey, I was happy to have something that was playable! It used to be a player piano, but someone stripped out the player mechanism, cut the case down, then painted it in a fake wood-grain pattern. It even had a mirror across the top level, where the pin block stuck out of the case! It was so ugly I just covered it with every picture and plant possible to try to hide it.

A couple of years ago I found this 1911 M. Schulz. Here it is on delivery day:

Kitty likes it:

Now, in it's final position, with the pictures on the wall arranged:

The dog usually hangs her head over the end of the couch and stares at me when I play.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/13/10 05:20 PM

Nice setup Paul and welcome to the forum!
Posted by: SPOFF

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/13/10 09:47 PM

My piano is more of a working rig used for arranging and recording music for video production. (And a bit of plunking for my own enjoyment.) The small keyboard is an Alesis Micron synthesizer. There's about 600 weird sounds in there, but with programming of the oscillators, filters, etc., the potential voices are infinite. A simple drum machine and a PC round out my sound-making ability.

This shot shows the small computer keyboard on top of the piano. PCs are so cheap today that this computer is dedicated to the piano.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/13/10 09:54 PM

Ooh... you've giving me technology envy, SPOFF!! Very cool setup you've got there. smile

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/13/10 10:56 PM

How do you find that little 502 mixer? I bought one a few weeks back and find it very noisy. I just finished building the electronics side of a headphone amp today, so once I've got that puppy in a good looking enclosure I may be tempted to strip the 502 down (again) and see about making him a little quieter. Still, it WAS cheap!

Pete
Posted by: SPOFF

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/13/10 11:10 PM

Yes, the 502 is noisy and it gets worse with age. But it's $42. (Not $450.) And there's nothing else out there that tiny with 2 stereo tracks plus a mic/line track. If I don't turn the levels up more than halfway it's okay. I keep waiting for it to die so I can buy a better mixer. I may be waiting awhile.

Ironically, the tape loop in the mixer is comparatively clean, so recording through the mixer is okay.
Posted by: giuseppe

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/14/10 06:40 AM

This is my first piano in my first house:

and this is my new piano in my new house

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/14/10 09:00 AM

Lovely setting for a beautiful Schimmel Giuseppe - and a cute dog too!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/14/10 09:08 AM

Quote:
and this is my new piano in my new house

Nice, giuseppe! Is that a T213?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/14/10 10:09 AM

No, it's only T 189 ... frown

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/14/10 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By: giuseppe

giuseppe, I *love* that photo. It makes your piano look like a proud mama standing over her little baby. grin

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/14/10 12:47 PM

Very nice set-up SPOFF!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/14/10 02:05 PM

No, it's only T 189 ... frown

"only"..... smile It's really lovely Giuseppe!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/14/10 03:45 PM

I've been gone a lot lately, and my, how this thread has grown!

ewaite - how nice to see another 100+year-old upright to go with the others. Very nice.

To AnotherSchmoe et al - thanks for not leaving me alone laugh

To the rest of you - I was inspired by your clean pretty rooms and I've started cleaning house. I had to start in the office, though, because I can't stand to work in here much longer -

And you all do realize that Frank featured this thread in the latest newsletter. Now the whole world knows what your piano room looks like!

Cathy

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/14/10 03:48 PM

*sigh* This is my dream Man Cave! Love it.

Originally Posted By: SPOFF
My piano is more of a working rig used for arranging and recording music for video production. (And a bit of plunking for my own enjoyment.) The small keyboard is an Alesis Micron synthesizer. There's about 600 weird sounds in there, but with programming of the oscillators, filters, etc., the potential voices are infinite. A simple drum machine and a PC round out my sound-making ability.

This shot shows the small computer keyboard on top of the piano. PCs are so cheap today that this computer is dedicated to the piano.

Posted by: riley80

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/14/10 07:44 PM

Now, that's what I call cozy. I like the Siamese cat effect too. Are you single?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/14/10 09:32 PM

giuseppe, I *love* that photo. It makes your piano look like a proud mama standing over her little baby. grin

Oh MK, only you would notice that crazy

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 05:14 AM

Hi Giuseppe, I see you went from a Yamaha to a Schimmel like me, did you have the GC1 first? Schimmel has a beautiful sound, very gentle .....

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 06:01 AM

Yes Patrick, my old piano was actually a GC1 Disklavier and I agree with you about Schimmel sound
Posted by: feeble

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 07:22 AM

Here's my space, showing part of my wife's book collection and off to the left is the 10 month old source of the mess (rawhide bones, socks, shoes, underwear, etc) that always seems to be in our house.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 07:24 AM

Konzert Patrick

(that's the first time I have ever heard the sound of the Schimmel described as gentle. It is an apt term for an instrument of such power. The 189 is a special piano. I'd love to own one.)

I have always described Schimmels as shimmery. they have such a unique tone quality and are very consistent. I'd like to here someone with greater articulation skills describe their 'character'.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 07:26 AM

and feeble..

that dog looks like it is ready to wreck havoc. The first year of a dog's life is a challenge usually. I love my dog now that he is about 4, maybe 5.

He has always loved the piano. He sits underneath during lessons and sneaks in during my practice sessions. He thinks it is a dog house.
Posted by: knotty

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 08:56 AM

It's a view of my room. With action and all.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 10:19 AM

knotty - how cool! both the room and your jam buddies. I had read that you'd bought a drum set and advertised on craigslist for jam buddies and it had worked out. In spades! You've got really nice backing skills, as well as a solo that swings smile.

I love it.

Cathy

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 03:50 PM

Thanks Cathy. Yeah, it's a lot of fun!
Posted by: TromboneAl

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 05:07 PM

Be glad you can't see the sheet music on the floor.

and from the outside:

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 05:29 PM

I love your view, Al, but I think it would distract me from the piano. Views are not the strong point of my place.

But I am, frankly, disappointed we can't see the stacks of sheet music laugh After all, we can see mine!

Cathy

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 05:39 PM

GUISEPPE - Gorgeous piano, room (and doggie, too!)

FEEBLE - Another nice set-up, and , I agree, your puppy does kind of look like he's scheming. laugh

KNOTTY - Nice practice area! Great tune and comping! Well done! I'm jealous.

AL - What a winning view!

This thread is so fun!
Posted by: TromboneAl

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 05:49 PM

This is what I saw one morning while playing the piano. He had been around, so I kept the camera right by the piano, and I was ready when he showed up:

Posted by: abcdefgh

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 06:07 PM

Lovely brisk morning today...

winter is certainly on the way folks!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: TromboneAl
This is what I saw one morning while playing the piano. He had been around, so I kept the camera right by the piano, and I was ready when he showed up:

Nice pic!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 08:01 PM

what a beautiful creature Trombone Al (I play with a John trombone).. the fox almost looks like a llama.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 10:08 PM

It should; it's a llaax. grin

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/15/10 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: TromboneAl

Cute dog!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/16/10 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: bryanw

Stunning.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/18/10 12:24 AM

I'm late to the party, but here's my pic:

Not much room in my little 1920's city bungalow, but there's just enough space behind the love seat in the living room for me and my piano. Gizmo likes to sit behind me up on the cushion. (You can see his bed on the floor to the right.) The top of the piano is pretty messy, with everything I'm working on (and lots of things I'm not) spread across. The weather was warm a few days ago when I took this, so the door to the screen porch is open. The box of Legos on the floor next to the piano used to be my son's collection and is now used almost daily by my grandson.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/18/10 12:17 PM

here's one with the pup:

Posted by: Pianosaurus Rex

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/18/10 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: itsfreakingmeout

Your piano is prettier than mine. smile
Posted by: raptor

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/18/10 08:41 PM

This is my bedroom where I have two digital pianos. I am a bit of an anime fanatic, so excuse the figures, posters and so on. grin

My first piano, a Yamaha DGX-630.

Zoomed out a bit.

My 2nd piano, a Casio CDP-100 that I play on when bored while sitting at the PC.

My latest piano is this Yamaha T121 upright piano. I've had it for only 3 months and it is one of the best things I've ever bought. Unfortunately it was too big to fit in my room, so I've put it in the side room opposite the living room.

Tim.
Posted by: liszt85

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/18/10 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: raptor
This is my bedroom where I have two digital pianos. I am a bit of an anime fanatic, so excuse the figures, posters and so on. grin

Just a bit?! shocked

Great setting anyway! The DP near the PC is a tremendous idea..

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/18/10 09:13 PM

i LOVE your anime figures Tim.. what a great collection. they are adorable.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/18/10 09:29 PM

I love fanatics - passion always ensues! grin Great set-ups!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/18/10 09:43 PM

Quote:
I'm late to the party, but here's my pic:

It looks like a player's corner, MaryBee thumb

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/18/10 10:26 PM

Marybee.. i used to have almost exactly the same couch.. a different color.. my dog used to lay just like that, right on top of the cushion.
Posted by: Kymber

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/20/10 03:56 PM

I love all the pictures of the pianos and pets (and the anime collection)!!!!
As soon as I figure out how to get my pictures from my iphone into this little box I will add mine.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/20/10 04:39 PM

MaryBee, I love your couch audience! Ours is too big to do that, so he just hangs out over the arm.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/21/10 04:40 AM

My turn, my turn! My piano just arrived. After playing a couple of pieces, I photographed it.
So... first, my first piano, the digital.

and now.... .the new one! Yamaha P112N-S, 7 years old, with silent option! (actually , you can see a smidge of the digital in this one too..in the bottom corner!

Posted by: molto_agitato

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/21/10 05:12 AM

This is my bedroom where I have two digital pianos. I am a bit of an anime fanatic, so excuse the figures, posters and so on.

Tim, how do you play your keyboard without having your anime figures tumbling everywhere!?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/21/10 05:51 AM

all these gorgeous pinups and centrefolds are making me swoon. Some great looking...
Pianos here, and rooms and views of gardens. Tim your anime room is amazing, and your real piano is exactly same model as mine - and I LOVE mine too.

bryanw's baby, and tromboneAl's view - swoon swoon swoon.

cas - CONGRATULATIONS - at last eh?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/21/10 12:28 PM

Cas - You must be absolutely ecstatic! That is one beautiful piano. Nice space, too! I bet it's hard not to just want to play all day! Congrats!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/21/10 04:07 PM

Casinitaly--That piano looks fabulous. Congratulations!
Posted by: EJR

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/21/10 05:47 PM

Casinitaly

Awesome!

Please let us know how you get on with the silent feature.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/21/10 05:53 PM

Casinitaly, congrats on your new instrument!! Forget the silent function, just play outloud!!!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/21/10 10:37 PM

This has been so much fun, sharing pics of our piano rooms. Thanks everyone for sharing! Casinitaly, a great way to celebrate the arrival of your beautiful new piano-Congratulations!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/21/10 11:00 PM

your room is so tasteful casinitaly.. congrats again.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/22/10 03:30 AM

Thanks for all the good wishes smile ...... we have company here for the weekend, (my nephew and his wife) so I'm not sure how much I'll get to play frown
However, she plays, (and has been piano deprived for a while) so "maybe" we'll get a music session or two smile
Posted by: Sviatoslav

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/22/10 03:41 AM

Congrats casinitaly, beautiful piano and room.
Posted by: liszt85

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/22/10 08:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Monica K.AnotherSchmoe: I made the hideous mistake of clicking on "the llama song" in the presence of my 11 year old son, who became immediately captivated by it and insisted on replaying it roughly 2,445 times. You owe me.

The "Llama song" is an evil drug. Once you hear it you are bitten. Should any children hear it, you are doomed.

I speak the truth.

Llama llama llama llama llama llama llama llama llama llama llama llama duck.

Should you have just read this. You have one of two options. They are mentioned above.

Sorry.

If you liked the Llama song, you will like this: http://pages.physics.cornell.edu/~rsundararaman/GammaSong/

Its a geeky version of the llama song made by two of my friends at my undergrad university.
Posted by: raptor

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/22/10 09:17 AM

Originally Posted By: molto_agitato
This is my bedroom where I have two digital pianos. I am a bit of an anime fanatic, so excuse the figures, posters and so on.

Tim, how do you play your keyboard without having your anime figures tumbling everywhere!?

Actually, they all seem to start falling off randomly as I'm playing, so I often have to stop to catch them. eek

However, since I don't have any other place to display them, I just have to trust my reflexes and hope I catch them all. grin

Now I mainly do my practice on the acoustic piano. smile
Posted by: PimPamPom

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/22/10 09:32 AM

The "Llama song" is an evil drug. Once you hear it you are bitten.

I apologize for being off-topic, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Monty Python sketch:

Great thread btw smile

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/22/10 10:25 AM

Paul, your Schultz piano is lovely! Careful with letting kitty get in there, amonia from thier paws can cause the strings to corrode.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/22/10 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By: bryanw

Bryan, absolutely lovely piano and beautiful setting that it is in. I've played several Brodmann pianos and they are lovely! I was about to buy a 7'5" last winter, but another person (a member here) bought it before I made up my mind.

Congratulations!
Posted by: Sciencerob

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/22/10 05:33 PM

Not the best angle really... I should upload another.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/22/10 05:47 PM

i love your pianoroom sciencerob! - great idea to put the music on the wall.
Posted by: achat

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/22/10 06:13 PM

Finally a typical Italian living room...

I was getting depressed looking at all those wonderful American big houses with such spacious living room (and so many room for GP) and wonderfully swathed in greenery!

Yes, I know, I live in Rome... I should be happy with the Colosseum at a walking distance, but I love your houses and your GPs inside smile

A.

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
My turn, my turn! My piano just arrived. After playing a couple of pieces, I photographed it.
So... first, my first piano, the digital.

and now.... .the new one! Yamaha P112N-S, 7 years old, with silent option! (actually , you can see a smidge of the digital in this one too..in the bottom corner!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/22/10 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: ashat
I was getting depressed looking at all those wonderful American big houses with such spacious living room (and so many room for GP) and wonderfully swathed in greenery!

Ah yes, but listen, I know you have something that's unique. Right now if you open the window you'll hear something. The sound of mopeds, that distinct sound made only by a Vespa, the toot of horns as the traffic known only to Rome goes about its organised chaos. Maybe you'll hear two old men greet each other in the street below, where they'll complain to each other about the latest football match before going on their individual ways. If it's a Sunday you'll here the ring of church bells across the city, and maybe if you're close enough to a piazza you'll even catch the faint clink of cups and glasses as Barista's create their magic elixirs, and for 1 Euro their faithful patrons are fuelled for another few hours. You may even hear the squeal of children chasing each other around the Piazza, in summer they'll be drenched from the fountain, oblivious to their nearby parents sharing quality time with good friends at just one of the cafes around the perimeter. Not a bottle of "Tomato Ketchup" in sight as the food tastes like it should and is almost, but never quite, as good as mamma makes.

That's just some of what listening to a city with a real soul sounds like. All it takes to buy a big house is money. But no amount of money can buy what you hear right now. You're listening to Rome. You're listening to Italy. That's never depressing.

Pete

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/22/10 11:58 PM

Hey Rob:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M48/1/

One of my best purchases. Really! smile

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/23/10 02:48 AM

Finally a typical Italian living room...

Yes, I know, I live in Rome... I should be happy with the Colosseum at a walking distance, but I love your houses and your GPs inside smile

A.

I know what you mean. I have to say though, that even when I lived in Canada we didn't have a really big place.......I love it that an Italian calls my place typically Italian!!!!! I feel like a citizen now smile

.......and to our friend who wrote about the sounds of vespas and people down in the street talking abut the latest football results... Vespas and their relatives are the bane of our life- they are the most irritating little creatures ever invented. And as much as I love the people in my little town, those who stop to talk about the match under my window, after the match, generally wake me up!!! There are a lot of things that are charming for a holiday, and a pain in real life.

That being said..... I have no plans to move away from where I am smile Despite vespas and football fans, I still love my adopted home.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/23/10 04:06 AM

Cheryl, a wasted post on my behalf it seems, as you completely missed the point I was making. Never mind

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/23/10 04:41 AM

No Pete, I don't think I missed your point - it seems to me you have an idealized view of Italy, I live here. I know the joys and the thrills and the beauty of it - but hell YES, it can be depressing sometimes.

I never object to being reminded of the joys when I'm having a down day - but the reality is that a lot of what you think is wonderful is awful.
When you spend every night of the summer being awakened at 3am by vespas charging down the street of your quiet little down, you'll understand that I really can see both sides of the coin.

You missed my point maybe.... I still LOVE Italy , despite the negatives. - -- sometimes BECAUSE of them smile

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/23/10 05:25 AM

Cheryl my post had nothing to do with Vespas. It had nothing to do with church bells. It had nothing to do with MY view of a room, or a house, or a city or even a country. Indeed it had nothing at all to do with Italy ... except, maybe to an Italian! The Italian to whom it was addressed. On the other hand it had everything to do with HOME, and what HOME means to different people. It would seem you chose to read it literally.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/23/10 05:53 AM

Pete,

I completely understand what you mean, but believe me, Italy and Rome is this for tourists, and it is great that people comes here from all over the world and is fascinated by the life of the city. I have travelled a bit, even to US a couple of times, and each time somebody ask me "Where are you from?" and I answer "Rome, Italy", I get a typical "ROME??, really?" and I feel a bit lucky despite I am not really sure to understand why...

Living here is stressing and may be a little depressing.

You can't go anywhere with the car without being prepared to spend an incredible amount of time trapped in a crazy traffic and looking for a place to park. If you decide to use the public transport you should be prepared to a crazy waiting time at the bus stop plus a crowded bus in which you are pressed with about 100 persons in a little space and still trapped in traffic. But maybe those are problems of any big city all over the world..

And Cheryl is right, what a tourist calls "sound of Rome", is effectively "noise". The traffic is a noisy, and the people is noisy. We, as italian, are noisy. We are noisy wherever we go. Have you ever been on a plane landing in Italy? Or in a italian train?

And as for houses, renting a studio apartment in a semicentral zone of 40 squared meters costs almost the same of my postdoc grant monthly income... Something that makes impossible to leave parents' home until embarrasing ages.. not to talk about having spacious living room to place a GP!! smile

But actually you are right, and reading your post makes me feel a little better. Sometimes, at least on weekends, I can go outside with the eyes (and ears) of a tourist and "listen" to the beauty of Vespa sound, church bells, and childrens chasing each other smile

A.

Originally Posted By: PeteF

Ah yes, but listen, I know you have something that's unique. Right now if you open the window you'll hear something. The sound of mopeds, that distinct sound made only by a Vespa, the toot of horns as the traffic known only to Rome goes about its organised chaos. Maybe you'll hear two old men greet each other in the street below, where they'll complain to each other about the latest football match before going on their individual ways. If it's a Sunday you'll here the ring of church bells across the city, and maybe if you're close enough to a piazza you'll even catch the faint clink of cups and glasses as Barista's create their magic elixirs, and for 1 Euro their faithful patrons are fuelled for another few hours. You may even hear the squeal of children chasing each other around the Piazza, in summer they'll be drenched from the fountain, oblivious to their nearby parents sharing quality time with good friends at just one of the cafes around the perimeter. Not a bottle of "Tomato Ketchup" in sight as the food tastes like it should and is almost, but never quite, as good as mamma makes.

That's just some of what listening to a city with a real soul sounds like. All it takes to buy a big house is money. But no amount of money can buy what you hear right now. You're listening to Rome. You're listening to Italy. That's never depressing.

Pete

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/23/10 06:04 AM

But actually you are right, and reading your post makes me feel a little better. Sometimes, at least on weekends, I can go outside with the eyes (and ears) of a tourist and "listen" to the beauty of Vespa sound, church bells, and childrens chasing each other smile

A.

Yes you got it and I'm glad it made you feel better as that was the idea. The point I was trying to make is that lusting after a big house is great, but never take home for granted. smile

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/23/10 09:49 AM

Cheryl & Ashat, you make Italy & Rome sound like Vancouver: ridiculously high costs for small living spaces; noise of one kind or another from other inhabitants; crowded transit that's erratic, usually because of traffic. On the other hand, I have many conveniences within walking distance, & people don't generally complain about my (piano) noise. It's a trade-off.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/23/10 10:06 AM

Well,

I live at the second floor of a building of eight.
At the first lives a family of 2 young parents, with one teenager daughter and 2 less than 5 years old children.

They are noisy well over imagination, they all scream all over the day, if the children don't scream, they cry or make a lot of noise playing and running inside the apartment.

On the same floor there is a French family, 2 parents and 3 children. They are completely silent, and two of them play both the piano and the cello, occasionally.

You probably won't believe but the mother of the noisy Italian family had the courage to ring to the door of the French to complain about the noise of the Cello...

I mostly play with the headphones, but if this woman will come to ring to my door for the piano, I think I will spend 5 minutes of my time to explain to her the difference between noise and music smile

A.

Originally Posted By: joyoussong
Cheryl & Ashat, you make Italy & Rome sound like Vancouver: ridiculously high costs for small living spaces; noise of one kind or another from other inhabitants; crowded transit that's erratic, usually because of traffic. On the other hand, I have many conveniences within walking distance, & people don't generally complain about my (piano) noise. It's a trade-off.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/23/10 10:32 AM

Noise from a CELLO????? Isn't that sort of an oxymoron?? I'd be delighted if a cello player moved into my building!
Is there any chance of the screaming children family moving out in the near future?? Doesn't sound like you could get anyone worse below you.

I'm on the 3rd & top floor of the building. A family with some (more than 1) children just bought the ground floor suite. But they don't scream (so far). The fellow next to them has his buddies over to play poker on the patio in the summer, but they've never been rowdy enough to bother me, though I usually know when they're there. The woman below me plays piano, has played for years, which is fine, but sometimes she sings, too. Her singing is somewhat less fine, but I barely hear it except in the summer when everyone's doors & windows are open. Really, my only noise complaint is leaf blowers & other assorted noisy, polluting gadgets used by the companies that maintain the (tiny!) garden areas of the buildings on my street. At times, they make it impossible to practice. Car alarms are another irritation. Oh, & people walking back to their cars when the restaurant/pub at the corner closes - from the conversations I hear, I'm sure they have no idea how much sound is amplified late at night. Sometimes I hear way too much information.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/23/10 11:08 AM

Much better the screams of children playing than the screams of someone being abused. When we lived more toward the inner city, we would often hear the woman across the street screaming things such as, "Oh God... you're going to kill me! HELP!! Oh Help." And horrible, horrible language from the guy yelling at the woman and her child. We called the police several times, but when they showed up, the woman would come to the door and say nothing was wrong. frown I was so relieved to move away from there. And now the sound of people just living their normal lives, no matter how noisy, doesn't bother me much at all.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/23/10 12:05 PM

I agree, MaryBee, children playing is a wonderful sound. & one thing I forgot to mention in my immediate surroundings is the Philippine 7th Day Adventist Church a couple of doors down - on Saturdays, after worship, people hand around & socialize for pretty much the rest of the afternoon. I think they have a potluck lunch inside the hall, but unless it's pouring rain, it always overflows out the front door. Kids race up & down the sidewalk & small strips of lawn laughing & shrieking, while their parents stand in groups laughing & chatting. I love the "noise" they make.

That must've been awful, listening to peoples' fights - I hear the occasional argument in the street, but nothing that sounds like it's going to escalate.

In Vancouver, the inner city is prime real estate (& it gets more expensive every time the price of gas goes up!) The shortage of affordable housing here is atrocious - lots of street people. I'm lucky I bought where I did - close enough to downtown, but not surrounded by glass towers - when I did. It's an old building, but it's been maintained & it means I have enough space for my upright piano (never a grand though frown )

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/23/10 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: joyoussong
I agree, MaryBee, children playing is a wonderful sound.

Well, it depends...
If it lasts a reasonable amount of time, and it consists in a resonable kind of "noise", and I am doing nothing of important, yes it could be an acceptable sound.

If it lasts for *hours*, consisting in jumping and running inside the apartment shaking the wall of the upper and lower floor, with additionally shouting and crying while I am trying to study for job interviews this could be really irritating.

I like children, but usally I like the children if I like the parents of these children.

Anyway I agree that earing people fighting and especially women frightned to death by their husbands is one of the worst "sound" one could experience.

A.
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/25/10 10:14 AM

Here are a few pics of my piano room at home:

And of my biggest fan:

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/25/10 11:46 AM

morodienne.. that is gorgeous! (is it a petrof?)

smile

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/25/10 12:57 PM

smile

Thanks! Yes, it was imported I think in the 80s and the person who had ordered from the dealer could not get it to fit it in his house, so the dealer was stuck with it for many years. I got a great deal on it!

Now, I just need a concert hall big enough to do it justice. Maybe with our next house we'll be out in the country and can convert a barn into a recital hall. laugh

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/25/10 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Morodiene

smile

Thanks! Yes, it was imported I think in the 80s and the person who had ordered from the dealer could not get it to fit it in his house, so the dealer was stuck with it for many years. I got a great deal on it!

Now, I just need a concert hall big enough to do it justice. Maybe with our next house we'll be out in the country and can convert a barn into a recital hall. laugh

thumb

That sure beats the heck out of my previous teacher's little upright!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/25/10 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Strings & Wood

smile

thumb

That sure beats the heck out of my previous teacher's little upright!

I used to teach on it when I taught from the home, and people really enjoyed it. I do have a nice Yamaha grand, but it's not quite as big smile

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/26/10 07:36 AM

morodienne.. i keep coming back to look at your pictures.. they really resonate. your rooms are so interesting and warm.

(i was kidding when i asked if it was a PETROF.. the name so prominently displayed in picture 2.) It is absolutely stunning.

What is that golden bust i see peeking from the corner?
Posted by: Rui725

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/26/10 07:40 AM

Does the Petrof sign have to be readable from the 10th roll of seats??

Great room and beautiful animal. Bit of a side note, I always wondered, does a greater percentage of piano players fancy cats more or dogs, anyone have a guess? I'm leaning with cats.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/26/10 08:49 AM

morodienne.. i keep coming back to look at your pictures.. they really resonate. your rooms are so interesting and warm.

(i was kidding when i asked if it was a PETROF.. the name so prominently displayed in picture 2.) It is absolutely stunning.

What is that golden bust i see peeking from the corner?

LOL about the Petrof! My niece who is 17 months old knows her letters and she loves to point to them and say them out loud! Not in order, of course, but it's so cute.

The bust is Nefertiti I think. I was going for a Bohemian look when I chose the colors and the decor, I suppose that befits a Czech piano best. smile

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/26/10 08:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Rui725
Does the Petrof sign have to be readable from the 10th roll of seats??

Great room and beautiful animal. Bit of a side note, I always wondered, does a greater percentage of piano players fancy cats more or dogs, anyone have a guess? I'm leaning with cats.

I guess they wanted to make sure everyone knew what kind of piano it was, no questions asked LOL!

I think I saw more dogs on this thread than cats, but cats can sometimes be elusive creatures when it comes to the camera.
Posted by: jdsher

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/26/10 05:39 PM

I haven't posted on the forum for a while, but I'd thought I would contribute a picture of my "piano room". This my Charles Walter CW190 when it was first delivered. I've since had it moved into our media room. I'll try to take a picture of it now and post it.

Jon

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/26/10 06:34 PM

Nice pianos! And piano rooms. And pets smile

Every time I'm gone for awhile this thread has tripled in size, so it takes me awhile to catch up. But it's a fun read.

Cathy

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/26/10 10:39 PM

Sorry I couldn't get the whole room in, but here's a shot of me playing Rachmaninov's Concerto #3. Some say I look young for my age, but I just put it down to good food and good living!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/26/10 10:44 PM

PeteF - I'm in love smile What a cutie.

Cathy

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/26/10 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: PeteF
Sorry I couldn't get the whole room in, but here's a shot of me playing Rachmaninov's Concerto #3. Some say I look young for my age, but I just put it down to good food and good living!

The technique shown in these octaves is superb! grin

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/26/10 10:56 PM

Yeah well the pink I'm wearing is a give away, and luckily I take after my mum and not my dad; he's a real ugly bugger!

Ben, thanks I've been working on them a good proportion of my life now. I'll say one thing, they're progressing a lot better than my half-pedal ... or any pedal for that matter now I come to think of it!
Posted by: AndyT

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/27/10 07:20 AM

Hi Folks,
here's my dp room:

- no pet, but there is a model railway :o)

Cheerio,
Andy T
Posted by: CarlosCC

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/27/10 09:31 AM

This is my daughter playing for a demanding audience smile

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/27/10 10:41 AM

Ooo, a model train! How cool to make it part of the landscape of the room! There's a model train exhibit every year at Christmas - I should really kick myself out of the house to go see it this year.

Carlos - you have a beautiful daughter.

Cathy

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/27/10 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Carlos CC
This is my daughter playing for a demanding audience smile

It's cute the way the bird has its head cocked as though it's listening! Sort of reminds me of "Nipper" - the dog RCA used in its logo years ago "His masters voice".

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/27/10 11:53 AM

Carlos - you have a beautiful daughter.
Cathy

Thanks a lot!
I can say that she can't be near the piano without experiencing some chords (she is the master of improvisation smile ). I'm lookng for a good program to start giving some lessons to her, but I'm not sure how to start.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/27/10 12:18 PM

that IS an adorable picture Carlos. the bird is so cute. It is so nice that she is interested.

I really think highly of this guy's helpful videos.

Notation is the alphabet of music and is worthwhile to learn. i don't think so much of the nice sounding 'play instantly' courses that you have to pay for.. why?

If you can find a teacher for her that would be wonderful.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/27/10 10:38 PM

Jon: What a beautiful instrument and setting!

Pete: You're a lot cuter than I imagined. You seem like a natural at the keys too. smile

Andy: It must be great to play and look right out the window! One of the benefits of having a digital piano!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/27/10 10:41 PM

Oh and Carlos, thanks for posting that great picture! The bird looks to have a very discerning ear. laugh

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/28/10 02:25 AM

Pete: You're a lot cuter than I imagined. You seem like a natural at the keys too. smile

Oh dear, I may get arrested for false advertising so better come clean wink This is in fact my 16 month old daughter, Nina. Yes she does like the piano, and plays with ... err "passion". Indeed I think her motto is "It isn't fun ... if it isn't Forte!"

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/28/10 04:45 AM

Unfortunately, I can not afford a teacher for my daughter ...
So I'll try to give her some lessons. I do not know if there is any thread in this forum about this (a parent teaching a child), but someone has some clues about which method to use (books, number of classes per week, duration)? Thanks.

that IS an adorable picture Carlos. the bird is so cute. It is so nice that she is interested.

I really think highly of this guy's helpful videos.

Notation is the alphabet of music and is worthwhile to learn. i don't think so much of the nice sounding 'play instantly' courses that you have to pay for.. why?

If you can find a teacher for her that would be wonderful.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/28/10 08:13 AM

just teach her what you know Carlos. If you were to carefully and thoroughly go thru the book adult .. all in one that would be nice. there is a lot of information crammed into that book.

i start my students off by writing finger numbers above the notes. I break every concept down. you tube is very helpful on almost every topic. there are free flashcard note drills on the internet.

there is a piano teachers' forum here at PW and they are very helpful. it's very admirable to want to teach her.

if you under stands keys and chords you can teach her two handed arppegios for different chords. That would be very helpful to orient the eyes to the keyboard and it sounds fantastic.

best of luck.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/28/10 08:21 AM

.. having a structured time would be helpful.. Tuesdays at 2.. however constant lessons, when you have the time would be just as helpful.

again, i really like this guy's you tube videos. he says - "This is a video lesson intended for people who want to learn how to play piano.

And yes, it's free, I think people anywhere deserve a chance to learn how to play piano for free! It's an international language and piano as well as music is such a wonderful skill to have."

this first lesson is a good place to start. his videos have unusual 'font' it's a bit hard to read, but well worth the time. Once he gets into a lesson, it is fascinating.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Lypur#p/a/u/0/vphWgqbF-AM

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/28/10 08:27 AM

Thanks for all the good advices. This was indeed the "push" I needed to start teaching her.
(I will stop writing about this subject in this thread; I will search in piano teachers' forum).
Posted by: Pitch

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/29/10 08:43 AM

I have just rearranged my room and took pictures of it. The next day I saw the Tweet, so I just had to post it here ofc. It will be changed pretty soon, with a proper computer desk and such.

Soon I will paint the wall in dark brown with snippets of my own piano compositions enlarged in broken white (if that's also a color in english). Besides that I'm also working on a project to paint my stairs in pianokeys (the steps). With also sheet music on the vertical parts between the steps of the stair! I had the idea to put sensors on the steps with the result that that note will play, but decided that would be annoying over time wink

Edit:
For the ones wondering. The cups are from Poolbilliards and the stick against the wall is a didgeridoo smile
Edit2: Just realized that the bronze cup isn't from poolbilliards but from a Technics Music Acadamy contest when I was 14 (1995). Quite een experience that was in a big theater.

My Roland F110:

Below the monitors where you can see (not so clearly) how I create my Sheetmusic with LilyPond.

Below a pic of my iPod in combination with the Line6 MIDI Mobilizer. It's an easy and quick way to create midi's when I have a creative inspiration moment. It's setup in 3 seconds as my ideas go away as quickly as they come. That's perfect for me!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/29/10 08:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitch
(...)I had the idea to put sensors on the steps with the result that that note will play, but decided that would be annoying over time wink

Nice idea! You can put a switch to turn on/off the sensors.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/29/10 09:10 AM

and i like the idea of sheet music on the risers. how artsy.
Posted by: AndyT

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/29/10 02:04 PM

Andy: It must be great to play and look right out the window! One of the benefits of having a digital piano!

I measured it about 10 times before I bought it to make sure it would fit smile. It gives me a bigger sense of space too, it doesn't feel like my piano is just shoved up against a wall.

My neighbours can see me battering away at the keys, luckily they can't hear me too.

AndyT
Posted by: Mati

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/29/10 03:35 PM

My first piano, a Yamaha DGX-630.

Adorable Miku laugh

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/29/10 11:46 PM

Posted by: Rui725

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/29/10 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: CebuKid

laugh

Look at that perfect posture!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/30/10 01:32 AM

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000587636504#!/photo.php?fbid=159804014049185&set=a.159803717382548.37415.100000587636504

My dog Emma at play - hope it works.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/30/10 07:55 AM

Ok finally had to post a pic of my piano. I'm pretty focused when I practise.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/30/10 09:39 AM

Cebukid, that is a great shot of your dog. He looks to be concentrating very hard!

@ Canonie, that is a pretty big chord! smile

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/30/10 10:58 AM

Wow, Canonie, it looks like you can span a 10th! Maybe even more if you stretched out a bit! That's very cute wink

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/30/10 11:01 AM

Kaz, is your dog singing and playing? smile
Posted by: WeatherTheLizard

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/31/10 12:26 PM

Love posts like this! Not really the room, since it's my bedroom... But my music portion of it.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/31/10 01:49 PM

Elizabeth..(WeatherTheLizard) i guess that is your Yamaha CP70-B there? I've never seen anything like it.. what can it do? Do you have any more pictures? it's very cool

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/31/10 01:53 PM

Elizabeth..(WeatherTheLizard) i guess that is your Yamaha CP70-B there? I've never seen anything like it.. what can it do? Do you have any more pictures? it's very cool

Yup. I've got it hooked up to a distortion pedal and a mixer that has a few effects, chorus, phaser, etc. Other than sounding unique, almost guitar like, it's pretty much a regular piano. I actually broke a string a few days ago.

PM me your email addy and I'll grant you access to my album. (Open to anyone who wants to see...)
Posted by: grotrianer

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/31/10 05:18 PM

Ok. That's only because you haven't seen mine yet:

I guess one can tell I'm living alone there. blush

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/31/10 06:22 PM

Looks great, very nice.... it a Gotrian I presume smile

How does the wall padding help your acoustics?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/31/10 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: grotrianer

I guess one can tell I'm living alone there. blush

Yep, saw it right off! Those are definitely not "SO approved" room treatments laugh

I've installed some acoustic pianos since I posted my earlier picture and they've made a huge difference in the sound of my piano and, for that matter, the stereo system that's also in the room. It's getting dark now so I can't take a picture but perhaps I'll post one.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/31/10 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: WeatherTheLizard

PM me your email addy and I'll grant you access to my album. (Open to anyone who wants to see...)

I'd at least like to hear more about how you use the setup. Do you compose and/or record?

I don't know anything about the CP70 and would like to know a little more about it (that you can't find via a google search).

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/31/10 08:19 PM

Geez! I'm away for a week and have 2 pages of new pics to peruse! I'm loving seeing all the wonderful piano rooms, pets and kids!

PeteF, your daughter is adorable!

AndyT, Nice room and I really love the train set up!

Carlos, your daughter looks very absorbed, as does the parakeet.

Pitch, that is a very cool set up you have!

Elizabeth, a great room. I really love your photo wall.

Cebukid, does your dog always dress for performance? laugh

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 10/31/10 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: BB Player

I'd at least like to hear more about how you use the setup. Do you compose and/or record?

I don't know anything about the CP70 and would like to know a little more about it (that you can't find via a google search).

I just play. And I use the effects to get as close as possible to the songs I play along to. I honestly don't think I call tell you much more than what is on the net.

I just started piano lessons. I hope the chords / theory will get me to a point where I can be creative.

Elizabeth, a great room. I really love your photo wall.

Thanks! The rest of the walls are a mess!
Posted by: grotrianer

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/01/10 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Konzert Patrick
Looks great, very nice.... it a Gotrian I presume smile

How does the wall padding help your acoustics?

No, it's not a Grotrian. My screen name is related to my being from Braunschweig, where Grotrians come from. My piano came after I chose my screen name. I did look for a second-hand Grotrian, but chose a second-hand Sauter instead. Since then, frequent visits to the monthly concerts in the Schimmel factory (which is also in Braunschweig) and testing the grands there during the intermissions have made me fall in love with them as well. They have a very special touch.

Regarding acoustics, in this thread a bit below the message of Monica that I quoted, some people have given excellent introductions. In my case, I had to deal with a 20 square meter room (too small) with a high ceiling (good, I suppose). The large grey foam panels are arranged to dampen the first reflections, which I have found to be crucial for my hearing what I play. There are also some attempts at bass trapping (top photo in the room corners) and diffusion (bottom photo behind the player position). The effects of those are less notable, but I am not an expert and there are probably ways to tweak the installation.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/01/10 10:53 AM

Merpdoene, thanks. My dog is playing for sure.
She bangs on the piano with her paws or rolls the keys with her chins.

The pictured piano is my old upright
Now that I got a grand piano, I don't want her touching my piano any more.
She likes it so much that i am looking for a toy grand piano on the cragslist.
I saw a couple of adds but so far I am always 1 hour late - sold to another person.

I think it will be cute to have her "toy grand" piano right next to my grand.
She has been using her squeeky toy to accompany my piano since her access to the piano was taken away.
It's really funny, from now and then, she dramatically tosses her toy away and tries to reach the keys from behind.
Posted by: Mati

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/01/10 01:42 PM

My current digital smile Grand is in my dreams, I was hoping to get it pretty soon... but it seems I'm going to get an upright for the time being after all. I need a piano now and not in 3 years time.
Posted by: Zinfan

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/01/10 08:12 PM

Ok here is my current set up

My first piano, a Casio PX-800

A Korg SV-1 73 key stage piano that needs a much better speaker setup than what I have hooked up currently (generic computer speakers).

Here they are together with a shot of the room where one day I hope to put a Grand piano. I've never played any acoustic piano and yet I feel the desire to hunt down a nice grand that would work in this room. Sorry for the bad light, not a great time of day to be taking pictures.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/01/10 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Zinfan

A Korg SV-1 73 key stage piano that needs a much better speaker setup than what I have hooked up currently (generic computer speakers).

Ooh... If I ever join a band and go out on gigs, (cause there is no way in hell I'm lugging around my CP70 without a crew!) I'm torn between The SV1 and various Yamaha models (either a newer CP or the S90s)... I like the knobs. Too many buttons confuse me!
Posted by: raskdog

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/06/10 09:03 PM

Photobucket

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/06/10 11:59 PM

Raskdog, is that piano a sort of reddish color? It looks very pretty! What kind is it? You know, all pianos should be photographed with their keyboards exposed, that's like having them smile in the picture! laugh

P.S. I like how your dog is kind of sneaking in the picture!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/07/10 10:11 AM

Quote:
She has been using her squeeky toy to accompany my piano since her access to the piano was taken away.
It's really funny, from now and then, she dramatically tosses her toy away and tries to reach the keys from behind.

Definitely, a pianist hiding in a dogs body. smile

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/07/10 12:36 PM

S&W, thank you.
Yes, our Emma dog is something.
My husband told me that she has more potential to make it as a pianist than me.

Believe it or not, we are looking for a wooden toy grand piano for her on Craig’s list every day.
I cannot stop Emma from playing on my (new to me) grand piano ever since she lost her old upright.
My husband gave away the piano to a little girl who had been practicing on an electric key board that does not have 88 keys. M
y husband is a very kind guy, very kind to everyone …. Well, I know human is more important, of course.
I know it was a very good deed indeed. Believe me I am glad that he’s done that.
Anyway, we are looking for a toy piano that looks like my grand.
I will post the picture here as soon as we get one for her.

If anyone on the forum knows a good toy piano (Black wooden toy grand piano that sounds half wasy decent), please let me know.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/07/10 12:49 PM

Does this link work for you? We bought this piano for my best friends little boy for his birthday (he turned 2). Every time he came to our house he would play our piano and was so happy to have one of his own. The sound is "okay," not great. I think it would be perfect for your Emma!!!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/07/10 12:56 PM

http://www.nextag.com/Schoenhut-37-Key-Elite-612127377/prices-html

Here, this should work, and this is the correct piano, not the color coded one above. I had just remembered the brand.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/07/10 01:03 PM

Glasslove, it's fantastic. Yes, it is exactly what I pictured.
It's good to know the brand name. It makes it easier to search.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/07/10 01:12 PM

GlassLove: The first link you posted here is so long that it's messing up the page.
Please delete it. You can embed the url and give the link a name as I've done here. Click:Toy Piano

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/07/10 01:17 PM

GlassLove, this will help:

Spoon-fed picture posting instructions:

Step 1.) Go to www.photobucket.com and open a free hosting account

Step 2.) Upload your digital pics from your computer to your new photobucket acct.

Step 3.) Once your images are in your photobucket account, click on the pic you want to post to enlarge it.

Step 4.) Once the picture is enlarged on your screen, you will see a few different links under the image. "Click" on the link that begins withj [img] and it will automatically copy the image.

Step 5.) Now go into the Pianoworld thread and right click in your reply. Hit "Paste" and it will post your pic.
Posted by: Hideki Matsui

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/07/10 01:40 PM

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/07/10 02:07 PM

Hi Everyone!!
Sorry about that. I hope that I fixed the problem and thank you for Jazzyprof for pasting the link in the correct way.
Posted by: djwayne

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/07/10 05:27 PM

Please excuse the mess...

I have a few guitars too.....

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/07/10 07:19 PM

i love the contrasts

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/07/10 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: ShiroKuro
You know, all pianos should be photographed with their keyboards exposed, that's like having them smile in the picture! laugh

A few photos of my piano room...

Smiling

All dressed up with nowhere to go

Open for business

Sunny

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/08/10 03:20 AM

Jazzy,
Nice piano and beautiful room. I like the art on the wall as well.
I think it will inspire you by stirring your imagination.

BTW I got an idea from your painting.

If I ever get rich like Mr. SuperHunky, I will put a matching original art in front of the piano.
For example, I need a Monet when I am playing Debussy,
I could use Chagall paintings for Rachmaninoff.
It will inspire me and transform the way I play.

What do you think?
Posted by: keyboardklutz

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/08/10 03:55 AM

If I ever get rich like Mr. SuperHunky, I will put a matching original art in front of the piano.
For example, I need a Monet when I am playing Debussy,
I could use Chagall paintings for Rachmaninoff.
It will inspire me and transform the way I play.
That's not rich, that's being an oligarch!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/08/10 10:04 AM

jazzyprof, that is an inspirational piano room. Love the Steinway and the cover that you have on it. It sure beats my fitted sheet which I use when vacuuming the house or other activities that cause dust.
See, now I am inspired to find something better. smile
Posted by: DanLaura Larson

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/08/10 10:11 AM

How funny, I didn't even notice the cover because I was so busy looking at the art. The cover is pretty neat too. Love the art.

Dan

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/09/10 05:51 PM

Thank you Kaz, Dan, Strings & Wood. Indeed the "piano room" is my favorite room in the house and I spend most of my time there even when I'm not playing piano. The fabric is kente cloth from Ghana.
Posted by: virtu

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/13/10 09:57 PM

My simple room with my new Kawai ES6 (delivered last Friday 11/12/2010):

Another time I post a full range picture.
Posted by: Totentanz

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/14/10 12:04 PM

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/14/10 05:09 PM

I'm still really enjoying this thread. It is so interesting to see how many different pianos and set ups there are - what an eclectic group we are!
Posted by: ChrisTF

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/15/10 06:06 PM

My 2004/2005 Petrof IV. I've had it for a month now. I bought it mainly for the kids (13, 10, and 8) who all started lessons at 4-5 yrs old. However, I'm also learning via Alfred's books.

http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l602/ZillaF/Petrof%20IV%20Pics/
Posted by: SoundThumb

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/15/10 06:24 PM

Congratulations ChrisTF! It's a beauty. I got a 2002/2003 Petrof IV about 3 months ago and love it even more today than when it came in the door. Looks like yours is also in walnut. Very nice instrument.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/16/10 07:33 AM

This really is an enjoyable thread.

Moderator/management could collect all the piano and personal picture threads and copy them into a seperate forum for kicks.
Posted by: Copper

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/16/10 04:09 PM

This really is an enjoyable thread.

Moderator/management could collect all the piano and personal picture threads and copy them into a seperate forum for kicks.

Here are some pics from a couple years ago

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1052061

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/22/10 01:38 AM

Just wanted to share a couple of pictures of my dog's piano. As I posted before, my golden girl Emma likes to make sound with piano. The problem is that her paws are often muddy. It was okay when i had a beaten up upright. With my new to me grand, I really don't want her touching it any more. She is a bit scared of the new piano at this moment. I think she will get used to it in a couple of days.

here's an old pic of her playing the upright

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/22/10 03:01 AM

Kaz, that's one beautiful dog - and what fun that she has her own piano. You should play some duets.....

How much is that doggie in the window?
You ain't nothing but a hound dog....?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/22/10 06:16 AM

I'm pretty sure she's singing along in the first pic. What music does she prefer? Bark? Woof-gang A Mozart?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/22/10 07:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Canonie
I'm pretty sure she's singing along in the first pic. What music does she prefer? Bark? Woof-gang A Mozart?

Surely it is Fur Elise?
Posted by: Hideki Matsui

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/22/10 12:41 PM

Revised room with Shigeru SK5 replacing Steinway M Chippendale:

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/22/10 05:44 PM

Cheryl and Cannonie,

Emma loves all the kind of music. So far, her favorites are Clare de lune. She particularly loves a climax of the piece, say, Measures 27 to 32. I have to make myself ready to kick her off when I approach those measures. She comes right behind me with a rapt attention. After she banged on the keys and scolded by me, she grabs her squeaky toys and start accompanying my piano. She stops when I stop playing. She likes Sunken Cathedral too. She was not so hot on my Beethoven. I am playing the sonata Pathetique 1st movement. It could be the quality of my performance or the kind of the piece. I will let you know how she reacts to the mellow 2nd movement.

Hideki,

You got an impressive piano there smile

Kaz

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/22/10 06:27 PM

Just wanted to share a couple of pictures of my dog's piano. As I posted before, my golden girl Emma likes to make sound with piano. The problem is that her paws are often muddy. It was okay when i had a beaten up upright. With my new to me grand, I really don't want her touching it any more. She is a bit scared of the new piano at this moment. I think she will get used to it in a couple of days.

here's an old pic of her playing the upright

she's sooooooooooo cute i love her

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/23/10 12:28 AM

Thank you. Yes, I am crazy about her.
I have never had a dog like Emma.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/23/10 05:52 AM

Cheryl and Cannonie,

Emma loves all the kind of music. So far, her favorites are Clare de lune. She particularly loves a climax of the piece, say, Measures 27 to 32. I have to make myself ready to kick her off when I approach those measures. She comes right behind me with a rapt attention. After she banged on the keys and scolded by me, she grabs her squeaky toys and start accompanying my piano. She stops when I stop playing. She likes Sunken Cathedral too. She was not so hot on my Beethoven. I am playing the sonata Pathetique 1st movement. It could be the quality of my performance or the kind of the piece. I will let you know how she reacts to the mellow 2nd movement.

What an extraordinary dog! I have a friend whose dog appears to recognise Happy Birthday, but maybe he recognises group singing mixed with smell of cake. Anyway, he always joins in (howls and sings) and then gets a piece of cake for his trouble (reinforces the behaviour). But they don't call him over, they just start singing and he will appear pronto and howl in his not so sweet tenor dog-voice. Your Emma is on another plane of sensitivity and taste!

casinitaly - Fur Elise; of course grin

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 11/30/10 09:46 PM

I'm just a poor college student so don't be too critical.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 12/01/10 10:30 AM

Sciencerob: it's great that you have your own instrument, and it looks like you keep it very clean (mine is a bit dusty lol). What piano brand is it? Do you like it?
Posted by: FormerFF

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 12/01/10 12:36 PM

Surely it is Fur Elise?

Pooch-ini.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 12/01/10 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: FormerFF

Surely it is Fur Elise?

Pooch-ini.

Probably Roll Over Beethoven :P

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 12/01/10 01:09 PM

Sciencerob: it's great that you have your own instrument, and it looks like you keep it very clean (mine is a bit dusty lol). What piano brand is it? Do you like it?

Its a 1987 Samick. I really wanted a Kawaii but understandably its outside my price range, especially with Christmas coming up. I like its tone, although I wish it were a tad bit more mellow.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 12/01/10 02:18 PM

I used to own a Sammick and was pretty happy with it. It was very mellow, especially for an Asian manufacturer, where they all tend to be more on the bright side. Your piano tech might be able to do some things to warm it up. I know my Yamaha gets really bright in the cold weather and so I have her fluff up the felt on the hammers to warm it up a bit.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/05/11 08:00 PM

Ok, here are the pics of my new piano room that I promised.
First, my piano has never sounded better. There are nuances that I have not heard before. I love the fact that I can play pp, and I really mean pp, and not lose the intricate value of the tone. ff is easily achieved and does not distort or muddy-up. Everything in between can be dial up on command.
When playing a tri-chord I can hear the indiviual tones that make up the chord. The tone decay seems to last forever... not that I know what to do with it.
I wish that I were a better player.

For an early Valentines- my wife gave me this cool floor lamp with an adjustable arm that will light my music page from over my shoulder.

Disclaimers:
No, we do not intend to use the fireplace... but it looks nice.
Yes, the vent next to the piano is closed off.
Yes, the blinds are functional and closed when needed.
smile

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/05/11 08:27 PM

Wow, perfect, just perfect Carl. Beautiful hard wood floors and the sage green and almond tones work extremely well. looks like very good acoustics as well.

The piano is going to throw out some serious power in the corner and if harnessed correctly will produce some incredible tones and resonance.

Your pride of ownership shines thru in these pics. congrats on a very nice piano and setting.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/05/11 08:30 PM

Oh, it's gorgeous, Strings & Wood! smile I love the window and the finish on the hardwood.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/05/11 08:47 PM

Strings & Wood, that is a fabulous room. Ya dun gud.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/05/11 08:58 PM

Beautiful!

Perfect for a piano party :-)

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/05/11 10:16 PM

Carl, that is just a gorgeous room! Of course, the piano is beautiful - and what a cool lamp! I love the idea of having the light come over your shoulder. You must be in heaven - it sure looks pretty close.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/05/11 11:17 PM

Strings & Wood, how lovely! What kind of piano is it?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/05/11 11:41 PM

Beautiful!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/05/11 11:52 PM

That is wonderful, Carl! What a beautiful room - a little piece of heaven! You must love spending time in that room, much less spending time playing the piano in it! It's perfect.

Cathy

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/05/11 11:52 PM

@Strings and Wood - Wow! That's a beautiful grand piano! Love it!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/05/11 11:57 PM

I'm glad this thread has been resurrected! Here is my new piano....clock..lol. Also, a few shots of my new Yamaha, and latest Joplin piece. smile

The video has some Chopin playing in the background. Youtube didn't like it so they put a bunch of ads in the video. mad

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/06/11 11:37 AM

Thanks to all for your comments. I am in a happy place right now. smile

Quote:

Morodiene, it is a Schimmel 213K NWS.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/06/11 02:55 PM

and a Schimmel makes that room even more lovely.. its just gorgeous Strings and Wood.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/06/11 04:07 PM

Hey Carl, that feeling you have right now, kinda makes it all worth it huh?

I'm glad you will perform nice tunes on that beautiful piano too and not just use it as a piece of [poser] furniture.

I never did get that.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/06/11 10:35 PM

I'm glad you will perform nice tunes on that beautiful piano too and not just use it as a piece of [poser] furniture.

I never did get that.

Schimmels are just so beautiful, they make a great piece of furniture! They are really in their own league elegance wise.

Beautiful setting S&W!
Posted by: optimistic

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/06/11 10:39 PM

I love looking at these pictures! More more! laugh

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/07/11 12:06 AM

Hey Carl, that feeling you have right now, kinda makes it all worth it huh?

I never did get that.

Indeed. The next time you are playing your M&H late in the evening... I will most likely be doing the same.
Posted by: dlr

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/07/11 08:56 AM

Cebukid, great video. Beautiful Yamaha! And I do love that Chopin smile
Posted by: Quagles

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/07/11 01:32 PM

Nerdy room incoming..kinda ashamed.

At least now I've replaced the stand so it actually looks a bit more like a piano. And the pedal with a pedal stand thingy add-on.

Not everyone can stay as classy :p

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/07/11 02:37 PM

Now that's a room I'd be comfortable in, Quagles. I like the blue walls a lot. I've never had the nerve to paint my walls a color. When I was younger I actually had black and white striped walls, but I've gotten less confident of my interior decorating abilities. But yours are great.

Cathy

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/07/11 09:58 PM

Quagles - your room looks very similar to my "quiet" practice space. I'll see if I can post a pic tomorrow. This is the room where I can don the 'ole headphones and not bother anyone, and have my computer handy and my tons of music. (arghh!)

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/07/11 10:35 PM

Quagles, your room looks like a place you could stay in for weeks, months--years, maybe--and never get bored! What a great assortment of media, movies, music, comfy couches/chairs, etc. thumb
Posted by: optimistic

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/07/11 10:42 PM

Quagles, no need to be ashamed! I love that room. It has a very young feel to it. Very comfortable! Nerdy room you say? Hmm..my room kind in my parents' house kind of looked like that. Guess that makes me a nerd, too!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/08/11 11:57 AM

Quagles, looks like a room where music is made. thumb
Posted by: Cobra1365

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/15/11 06:42 PM

Nothing fancy...just my Yamaha in my den.

Here, my Grand Daughter instructs me on the finer points!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/15/11 07:33 PM

That is the cutest picture, cobra smile What a sweetie - and it looks like it won't be long before she'll be able to reach an octave.

I love her blue jeans, too - just like grandpa!

Cathy
Posted by: DadAgain

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/28/11 06:19 PM

Finaly - my chance to join this thread!

Heres the new piano (5 minutes after delivery) with the old Roland it replaced in the background.

Room acoustics may need some minor adjustments.. it stil sounds very weird to me....

(...and its KILLING me that I have to be at work today instead of staying home and plyaing with my new toy cry )

Posted by: MacMacMac

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 02/28/11 07:02 PM

Isn't that YOU, at home, playing with your new toy? smile
Posted by: TBrown

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 03/02/11 09:01 AM

WOW, I love this thread! So many gorgeous rooms out there. It certainly gives me something to aspire to someday.

Much along the same line as Quagles (thanks for posting first!) here is my first piano room in my first house! (sorry for the bad cell phone pics)

This is the combo piano room, music room, office, and art studio at the moment while I finish up some work in the basement. No dogs, but you can see Cally, our parrot, hiding on the left. Here's more of a closeup.

She enjoys hanging out up there listening to me practice. She's also really good at ruffling her feather when I hit a nasty note!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 03/02/11 09:10 AM

what a beautiful parrot TBrown
Posted by: alle breve

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 03/25/11 06:28 PM

Hey PW, I'm trying to get pics of my pianos up here, but I'm not sure how to attach the pics...any help?? Thanks!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 03/27/11 09:00 PM

My two pianos-my Clavinova with it's successor, the C7! (I think the Clavinova gets a little jealous, seeing as I spend most of my time on the grand, but I still enjoy having the digital!)

Full prop, with the duster I obsessively use in the background, and the carpet (which actually fits perfectly underneath) beneath the piano to absorb sound, more than anything:

laugh

...now just to pay off the 'rents.... wink
(P.S. Thanks to Edtek for the help with the posting procedure! smile )

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 04/18/11 04:13 AM

Wow, "Concertpianisttobe"

That's a beautiful C7. I have had my eye on one of those here in Houston. I just don't have the room for two grands, and I've fallen back in love with my ancient Knabe after a truly gifted tech gave it a good voicing and did some action work that lightened it up to my liking.
Posted by: wayne33yrs

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 04/18/11 06:28 AM

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 04/18/11 07:26 AM

My digital practice area - located in the ManCave!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 04/29/11 05:13 PM

Well thanks, crogersrx!! I'm so fortunate to have her. It's a great piano. And that's fantastic to hear about your Knabe, I'm so glad that you could have it adjusted to suit your liking more. I've never played one, however I think it'd be interesting. I believe my teacher has an older Chickering...(not that that relates too much, it remotely reminded of me it, I guess.) laugh
Regards!
Matt

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 04/29/11 07:43 PM

Hay Wayne - I'm jealous of your acoustic smile Looks nice.

Do you actually operate that boomerang?

Cathy
Posted by: wayne33yrs

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 04/29/11 08:27 PM

an unused instrument I'm afraid x

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 04/30/11 12:15 AM

I got my nephew one for Christmas a couple of years ago, but I don't know if he ever tried it. I was surprised that they are launched overhand, instead of flat like a Frisbee smile Any way, nice instrument(s)!

Cathy
Posted by: EmptySpace

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 04/30/11 12:20 AM

Was anybody else wondering how you can launch an acoustic overhand when they read the last post?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 04/30/11 01:08 AM

laugh

Cathy
Posted by: tangleweeds

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 04/30/11 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: EmptySpace
Was anybody else wondering how you can launch an acoustic overhand when they read the last post?

That's what technical exercises are for -- building strength!

That said, I can only launch digitals myself.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 04/30/11 07:15 AM

Hmmm . . . speaking of launching pianos . . . does anyone remember the link some one posted a few years back about an eccentric Englishman who launched old pianos with a trebuchet?

Oh . . . here it is . . .

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 04/30/11 12:05 PM

Well, Dennis, I had to pass that on. My brother can never believe what I find on piano forums laugh He claims that some people get their news from Fox, and some from CNN, an I get mine from piano forums. Yup.

Thanks for the link smile

Cathy
Posted by: trancera

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 04/30/11 02:15 PM

Only had my old lady since December but she seems very much at home. Wish I could play her better.

Some amazing rooms you all have and I like to see the production / studio type rooms as well as I enjoy synths too smile

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 04/30/11 05:55 PM

Tall ceilings, nice!
And I see it is cocktail time yippie
Posted by: trancera

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/01/11 06:50 AM

It was red wine, followed by the scotch in the background. Love your space by the way Strings & Wood!

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/01/11 10:05 AM

Cheers! And thanks.
Posted by: EP

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/01/11 10:33 AM

I posted this on another thread but here's my new Yamaha C3 at home:

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/01/11 06:24 PM

Beautiful instrument, EP! I haven't had too much experience with C3s...I expect I'd like them, though! smile
And I also notice that we do the same thing with the carpet under our pedals, too!...you must also have a floor that gets a little cold on your feet?
The carpeting prevents that pretty nicely. wink

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/01/11 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: concertpianisttobe
And I also notice that we do the same thing with the carpet under our pedals, too!...you must also have a floor that gets a little cold on your feet?
wink

Actually, the floor is carpeted. The blue rug under the pedals is just so I don't wear a hole in the carpet.
BTW, I love your C7 - I took lessons on a C7 about 10 years ago - it was a fairly old instrument at the time, but was quite nice to play. I think it had been made in the 1960's or 1970's.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/02/11 04:50 PM

Haha oh ok, I see now...and thank you very much! This piano is about a 1981 I think, after I did some research on the serial, but whenever someone is over and they see it they pretty much automatically assume
that it is a new piano anyways, so that's cool! But yep, I think Yamahas are great pianos...certainly in my top 3 along with Bosendorfer and Steinway. (Is that too cliche?) -Though I played a really impressive Schimmel
a couple of weekends ago at a jazz festival, so I'm pretty fond of those now, too. It was just a really elegant, classy piano and it was definitely a remarkable instrument...it had a unique action. I liked it.
Still need to try a M&H...I hear that they're dreamboats.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/02/11 06:26 PM

You're right, Bosendorfers, Steinways, Schimmels, M&H's, etc. are all nice - it can be a never ending quest.
Personally, I've had a few, but I'm happy, satisfied, and through looking!
(I could say that about women, too, but then, I suppose that's one of the benefits of age). thumb
Posted by: WiseBuff

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/02/11 07:19 PM

Ok...I saved the piano room pic in my computer file. How do I get it loaded here?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/02/11 08:40 PM

Here's a link to the FAQ on how to upload a photo. That should explain it for you.
Give it a shot - if you still have problems we can walk you through it.

link to FAQ on how to upload a photo
Posted by: Plantmom

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/08/11 02:58 PM

Here's a photo of my piano. The room is usually lit nicely with indirect sunlight from the bay windows behind, and the front hall.
Posted by: rreida

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/09/11 06:12 AM

Here is our piano room.

Ms. Charming plays occasionally, typically she just decorates it.

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/09/11 06:35 AM

why does this look like my house?

i love it!

Fantastic first post Ms. Charming.. Is your piano new?

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/09/11 06:42 AM

I've been enjoying travelling backwards thru this thread this morning.

Everyone is so happy with their pianos in their rooms.
Posted by: Bentsch

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/09/11 09:39 AM

Hi everyone,

two months ago I moved to a new city and started a new job. The perfect time to fulfill a long-held wish, to learn the piano. I started out with a cheap 49-key midi controller I bought some years ago (but had never used). I took my first piano lesson a month ago and realised I had to buy a good digital piano (a "real" piano is too heavy and impractical for my circumstances). After testing some pianos in a store I decided to get a Kawai CA-63. Last week it was delivered and here it is, my "music corner":

Since I have the Kawai I'm totally hooked and am so happy I started this musical journey and hope it will be a great one :-)

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/09/11 10:29 AM

Plantmom - what a lovely, elegant room. I bet it takes some of the anxiety out of "red dot fever" when you go to record smile

rreida - how whimsical! Is that an old push lawn mower under the piano?

Bentsch - ooo, ooo, jealousy creeping in here. Nice piano. And nice banjo. I went to a concert a bunch of friends of mine put on last week, and there were about 4 banjoes. They called them "merrywhangers" in the program laugh Great fun. Welcome to the ABF - we're the perfect place for those hooked on piano.

Cathy
Posted by: Jose Hidalgo

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/11/11 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Bentsch

Last week it was delivered and here it is, my "music corner"

Hi Bentsch,
Nice music corner, but I want to ask about the guitar, seems like it has a warm sound for jazz ?, what is it ?
Posted by: Bentsch

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/12/11 03:45 AM

Hi Jose,

yes, the guitar is really great for jazz. It's a nylon crossover with a radiused short scale neck that is fun to play. It's a Yamaha AEX500N. On Youtube there are a couple of videos where you can listen to the sound of the guitar. Unfortunately, the AEX 500N series has been discontinued. But you should definitely give it a try if you can get hold of a used one.
Posted by: Edtek

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/22/11 02:47 PM

This is not my piano room but I thought it was kind of evocative. My brother snapped it in Leiden while visiting his daugher. I noticed the piano is a little hard to see in the uploaded shot. It's in the window on the right
Posted by: DebraK

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 05/22/11 10:11 PM

What beautiful piano rooms! Thanks to all that posted photos. I especially like the Yamaha pianos (I'm a bit prejudiced). One of these days I need to get some pix of mine and post them.
Posted by: Hitry Plan

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 06/28/14 07:43 PM

Posted by: BrianDX

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room - 06/28/14 08:55 PM

My new Yamaha C2X (+ curious kitty)

Posted by: Barry1963

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room[URL=http://s89.photobu - 06/28/14 10:17 PM

Nothing fancy but its mine :grin: piano room photo piano_zps541bb691.jpg
Posted by: peterws

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room[URL=http://s89.photobu - 06/29/14 04:34 AM

I like that piano! Chunky and neat. No animal?
Posted by: Barry1963

Re: Let's see pics of your piano room[URL=http://s89.photobu - 06/29/14 11:26 PM

The dog was in the kitchen, and the birdcage is on the entertainment center hidden by the glare