How to relax your hands and arms?

Posted by: iamtan

How to relax your hands and arms? - 01/15/11 09:56 AM

Do you have any suggestions on exercises to relax your hands and arms? Thank you very much. help
Posted by: keyboardklutz

Re: How to relax your hands and arms? - 01/15/11 11:04 AM

Realize it's a serious and lengthy business and get a copy of You Must Relax from abebooks.com; they're real cheap.
Posted by: custard apple

Re: How to relax your hands and arms? - 01/16/11 12:37 AM

Please see this thread below which can be found on the Pianist Corner.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...%20.html#UNREAD
Posted by: Tubbie0075

Re: How to relax your hands and arms? - 01/16/11 02:13 AM

There's a difference between being relaxed and playing economically. I don't think you can play the piano with complete relaxation. When you are using your muscles, you're not relaxed. I think what you want to achieve is playing with just the right amount of arm/hand/finger weight for the note/passage of music. I also think that you can find ways to use these muscles for you rather than against you. Another thing is find places where you can free up the tensed muscles. For octave passages for instance, as soon as you play an octave interval, let the hand bounce up (like there are springs in your hand), collect your hand shape as it bounces up, before going for the next one, rather than having your hand open to the octave interval for the whole passage with a tensed wrist.

Sorry, I think I'm just jibber jabbering. I'll let others more knowledge to answer your question properly.

Good luck.
Posted by: keyboardklutz

Re: How to relax your hands and arms? - 01/16/11 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Tubbie0075
collect your hand shape as it bounces up, before going for the next one, rather than having your hand open to the octave interval for the whole passage with a tensed wrist.

Sorry, I think I'm just jibber jabbering. I'll let others more knowledge to answer your question properly.
You could charge £45 an hour for that jabbering over here! Great advice.
Posted by: rozina

Re: How to relax your hands and arms? - 01/16/11 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Tubbie0075
There's a difference between being relaxed and playing economically. I don't think you can play the piano with complete relaxation. When you are using your muscles, you're not relaxed.

I don't think that state even exists. If you are alive you are using some muscles smile My point here is that relaxed never does or has meant that you don't use any muscles. It means you are not using muscles you do not need, that you are not stiff.
Posted by: iamtan

Re: How to relax your hands and arms? - 01/20/11 10:23 AM

keyboardklutz, custard apple, Tubbie0075 and rozina

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. I really appreciate it. I am making a list of things I can do to improve the relaxation. Hope to tick off the entire list soon smile