3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit

Posted by: Eyad

3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/06/11 10:01 AM

Hello forum!

I just thought I would throw in my first comment ever on this forum by sharing my experience as a beginner. I thought of a topic that would be rather informing to most of the adults who learn piano, such as myself.

Learning any musical instrument could be tricky and difficult, and could sometimes drive us to the point of quitting. I would like to list the most common problems that most adult beginners face.

1. Setting Unrealistic Goals:

We all want to learn the piano fast and with little effort. Unfortunately, this puts lots of people off when they realize that this isn't going to happen in such a short time, especially when people wouldn't rather spend the time needed to achieve such goals. Speaking of which..

2. Time Issues:

Most people think that unless they spend 10 hours a day, they wouldn't become any better. Truth is, setting a certain period of time to play during the day on a regular basis, in which you know you can feel comfortable with practicing and staying focused, could be ten times better than spending more time practicing or feeling pressured about it. Practice smart, not hard!

3. Frustration:

Knowing the right time to play could prevent this issue, as you'll already have become comfortable with practicing, and not thinking of it as a chore. It takes what I'd like to call "The Triple-P", which are: Patience, Perseverance and Practice (multiply Practice by 10.. I can't stress enough on this!), in order to understand every single element of the Piano. Practicing could be fun of you think of it as fun!

Thanks for reading, and good luck with practicing! smile

Eyad
Posted by: MacMacMac

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/06/11 10:07 AM

I'd modify your Triple-P and make it 10-P:

Patience, Perseverance, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice.

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/06/11 10:14 AM

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
I'd modify your Triple-P and make it 10-P:

Patience, Perseverance, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice.

There you go MacMacMac! wink
Posted by: cruiser

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/06/11 10:42 AM

Welcome to PW, Eyad - good post!

Paradoxically your No 1 - Setting unrealistic goals - is something that has both frustrated and encouraged me to persevere with my return to the piano (5 years ago, after last having lessons as a child).

I decided from the outset that I'd learn only pieces I really - really! - love. Unfortunately this category consists almost entirely of music which is way beyond the "Für Elise level" I reached a s a child.

Never mind, that was my decision and I started by learning Schuman's Traümerei (Took me a couple of months) followed by Schubert's Impromptu Op 142 No 2 (This one took me several months to learn). Encouraged by my progress blush I tackled what was for me a mountain of a piece, another Schubert Impromptu, the glorious Op 90 No 3 (A real labor - and I mean labor! - of love this one). It took me about 9 months to learn this piece and I'm still working on it.

I've also learned a few "easier" pieces: a Chopin Prelude, a Mazurka and some Bach for example. But my latest labor of love is another gem - Brahms' Intermezzo Op 118 No 2. Give me another six months or so and I'll have this one down too!

Oh, I forgot to mention - I also decided from the outset to memorize everything I learn. I thought this would be good training for the old gray cells (I'm 60 now).

Frustrating? Yes, it's been - and continues to be - frustrating at times but the satisfaction of being able to play a few of the pieces I love has been well worth the effort.

Good luck with your piano journey!
Posted by: painter55

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/06/11 10:51 AM

Good advice.

Another piece of wisdom:

Use a metronome and go slow. Perfection precedes speed.
Posted by: Michael Steen

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/06/11 11:06 AM

I agree with Eyad's 3 points and would add another: Lack of performance and approval. Little kids get constant and positive feedback from parents and recitals. Even mastering the most elementary exercises elicits enthusiastic (and deserved) approval from parents.
Adults, however, are largely on their own until they're really good. No spouse is going to wax poetic over a 50 year-old's mastery of "Lavender's Blue." So until you're ready to treat the family to the "1812 Overture," you're largely laboring alone.
Posted by: Little_Blue_Engine

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/06/11 11:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Michael Steen
I agree with Eyad's 3 points and would add another: Lack of performance and approval. Little kids get constant and positive feedback from parents and recitals. Even mastering the most elementary exercises elicits enthusiastic (and deserved) approval from parents.
Adults, however, are largely on their own until they're really good. No spouse is going to wax poetic over a 50 year-old's mastery of "Lavender's Blue." So until you're ready to treat the family to the "1812 Overture," you're largely laboring alone.
This is a very good point. Children are usually not questioned about why they are bothering to learn to play, either. When I told my Grandma I was learning to play piano (at 35) she asked me "Why do you want to do that? That's alot of work."
Posted by: findingnemo2010

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/06/11 11:24 AM

Very good post and some good points. Thats the most important thing, making practice not a chore, because then you will not want to do it. Also, the time I find is an issue for me, setting unrealistic goals and forcing the learning progression is another big one. Big NO NO. thumb

Also sometimes when I get frustrated with practice or the learning process, it helps to stop everything for a minute and ask myself why I am playing piano. It took me a long time to learn all this and I learnt it all on my own the hard way. Also, whoever said practice is number one is right.
Posted by: Devane

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/06/11 11:26 AM

I would go with Setting Unrealistic Goals the most.
Also thinking because they happen to like to idea of the image of playing the piano, that is enough to get them where they want to be.

The 99.9999999% bit, the actual practising is never considered or when they say they do understand about the practising, what they have in their head is the image of Valentina Lisitsa blasting away for hours (ref: her webcast last year) and not the struggle of memorising or figuring out a few bars of music.

When you start a hobby you don't know if the training will suit you. You will know in time. But don't try telling someone starting in January full of enthusiasm. I've seen it in other hobbies I've done , Dance and Martial arts( did them both for years). January and September is a great little earner for these classes....Evening classes too.

I don't use unrealistic images like the piano-virtuoso as my "carrot" to get myself to practice. You have to enjoy what is in front of you. That won't last if your motivation isn't based on liking to practice but based on dreams.

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/06/11 11:29 AM

Thanks for all your input folks!

And I totally agree with you Michael, that's a very interesting point indeed!

In fact, when I first started with guitar (my first instrument) at the age of 19, I actually got criticism from people around me saying that it's already too late for me and all that kind of talk. I literally got no support at all back then!

Honestly though, this was a motivational point for me to practice even harder and "throw it in their faces"! I still am no professional now, but in the end I got to pull off a few local gigs that was positively criticized and felt rather satisfied about my progress smile

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/06/11 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Devane
I would go with Setting Unrealistic Goals the most.
Also thinking because they happen to like to idea of the image of playing the piano, that is enough to get them where they want to be.

The 99.9999999% bit, the actual practising is never considered or when they say they do understand about the practising, what they have in their head is the image of Valentina Lisitsa blasting away for hours (ref: her webcast last year) and not the struggle of memorising or figuring out a few bars of music.

When you start a hobby you don't know if the training will suit you. You will know in time. But don't try telling someone starting in January full of enthusiasm. I've seen it in other hobbies I've done , Dance and Martial arts( did them both for years). January and September is a great little earner for these classes....Evening classes too.

I don't use unrealistic images like the piano-virtuoso as my "carrot" to get myself to practice. You have to enjoy what is in front of you. That won't last if your motivation isn't based on liking to practice but based on dreams.

This. thumb
Posted by: Tubbie0075

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/06/11 05:49 PM

Having the right teacher for you is also critical. If the student and teacher doesn't get along despite the teacher being a good one, or getting a teacher you get along with but doesn't teach well will make progress slow.

On the other hand, a student that doesnt take lessons seriously will not work either. A while ago I engaged a pianist/teacher as my piano accompanist for my violin exam. She commented that she doesn't enjoy teaching all of her adult students, particularly those that doesn't practise, and treat the lesson like some chit-chat sessions. They don't progress beyond the time they actually put into practise and learning.
Posted by: WiseBuff

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/06/11 08:20 PM

That Brahms intermezzo 118 is awesome!! Good for you.
Posted by: Mr.CRC

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/06/11 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Michael Steen

I find it extremely satisfying to hear myself playing. Yet when I record it and listen, ugh it's boring. Since the point (for me anyway) is to have personally fulfilling fun while playing, it seems there is no problem what it might sound like to the critics (including myself when listening to a recording).
Posted by: Stanza

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/07/11 10:11 AM

Good post. Other reasons some, touched on.

1) Lack of a teacher. We think we can do it all now with books and videos on our own. Teachers are for children!

2) Failure to learn theory. Not understanding the structure of music leads to confusion.

3) Not listening. One can make beautiful sounds from some very simple pieces. These need to be embraced. A simple 3 note chord is already 3x more notes than a solo brass or wind instrument can generate.
Posted by: joplinmusiclover

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/07/11 02:20 PM

My goal when beginning to learn piano was to be able to pick up any sheet music and just start playing it. And I wanted to learn how to do ragtime, particularly some of Scott Joplin's work, like 'The Entertainer'. I have only been practicing for 3 months now, and I can do simplified versions of it, but needless to say, I had to scale back my goals. I took some organ lessons which were really encouraging, got some connections, and friends and family have been encouraging and helpful. My lady and I inherited a ton of sheet music, my sister gave me an electronic piano keyboard, and I studied music theory, which is really fascinating. One other thing that really helps is to know what a piece sounds like when played correctly. I think what we tend to do, when we try to teach ourselves is try to play something without first listening to it. It really helps to know this. While I can whistle any one of 39 of Joplin's works, it's one thing to do that, and I soon discovered that the music looks far more complex than it seemed to me, so I found it was completely another thing to be able to play it on piano. However, at least I know what the pieces sound like.
Posted by: Devane

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/07/11 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: joeb84
Originally Posted By: Devane
You have to enjoy what is in front of you. That won't last if your motivation isn't based on liking to practice but based on dreams.

This. thumb

Just expect the enthusiast person to hate you when you're unimpressed by their enthusiasm.

Originally Posted By: Tubbie0075
A while ago I engaged a pianist/teacher as my piano accompanist for my violin exam. She commented that she doesn't enjoy teaching all of her adult students, particularly those that doesn't practise, and treat the lesson like some chit-chat sessions. They don't progress beyond the time they actually put into practise and learning.

A common point about adults which always come up is "adults are different because we are 100% sure they want the lessons. They are paying". We're being portrayed as the ideal students but my own teacher made similar comments about lazy adults. But having said that, some people like their lessons and may stay on regardless of their progress. Not much fun for the teacher though.
Posted by: musdan

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/07/11 06:31 PM

When I first started piano lessons I must have come close to quitting once a week. I was lucky enough to meet understanding people at concerts (during intermissions)- every once in a while I'd meet a Juilliard student in of all places where I live, all were helpful and encouraging - but the one and only place that really kept me "at it" is all my fellow travelers in Piano World.

The one thing a musician who lives in my building told me is "you have two feet and 10 fingers all doing different things." This is because I mentioned my years of dance training. Music and Dance are two different animals. Play the music and I'm off and running. Playing the music all those notes count as we all know.

So MANY MANY THANKS TO MY PIANO WORLD FRIENDS - I'm doing what I've always wanted to do and enjoying the journey. smile

Posted by: Elene

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/07/11 09:39 PM

Great points, all.

When I was teaching I noticed that some adult students, typically middle-aged women, had a lot of trouble with their families discouraging them. It seemed like their families just weren't OK with Mom doing something that didn't directly benefit them and didn't involve her concentrating her energy on them. This was true of both husbands and kids. It's hard enough to keep going as an adult student without the people closest to you dragging you down. I'm so glad I've never had family members like that, and I hope you don't either.

Best wishes to all of you as you keep forging ahead!

Elene
Posted by: musdan

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/07/11 09:53 PM

Joplin - I had the same goals - to be able to put the music on the piano stand and play. My father who was an accompianist made everything look so easy.

What a wake-up call - it's not that easy, I never thought I'd ever be able to read those circles, lines etc. it seemed like learning another language.

Gradually it all began to make sense and it would be great to be able to play everything, I'm happy to be able to play things that have been assigned, not as well as I'd like to, but that's the nature of art - always learning or discovering something new.

Now if I could only get the right rhythm that would make me and my teacher happy. We've been using Basic Rhytmic Training by Robert Starer and that is helping me.

I'd love to be able to play Chopin, Rogers and Hammerstein, and this is a pipe dream Prokofiev - I love his ballet music, and the list goes on.
Posted by: gingko2

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/07/11 10:00 PM

When I quit in my 20s--years ago-- it was because my teacher suggested a year of Clementi or "Clementi-like" pieces to improve my technique. I started to hate to practice, then figured I wasn't mature enough to learn the instrument.

In retrospect I should have negotiated the program or found another teacher. I don't have to love every piece I play, but I just couldn't handle that regimen.
Posted by: FarmGirl

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/07/11 10:25 PM

Op - After the thread is done, I would like you to start a new thread "3 top reasons why adults continue piano against all odds". That may inspire us more.
Posted by: Ovidiu M

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/08/11 11:21 AM

I 've seen on some topic people advising someone how to practice 1 hour/day. And they disecated that hour in about 5 or so pieces of different things. They crammed everything in there from Hanon, scales, sightreading,to learning new pieces and polishing new ones. From my experience as a former guitar player and for 6 months also piano player, i can say that the aformentioned kind of schedual is the perfect recipe for building stress, building a sense of unacomplishement and just wanting to quit. It is highly desirable to be aware of the general goals a wannabe should have but i say this and i say it load...STEER CLEAR OF CLAUSTROPHOBIC SCHEDUALS WHERE YOU DO EVERYTHING AND NOTHING! Keep in mind your long term goals but each day feel free to just play what ever you want. If you feel like doing scales do them, if you feel like trying to play by ear a piece you ve just heard, to that, if you want to learn new repertoare do that! Do this things as long as you feel pleasure in doing them. When stress starts to build up, and still have time and will to practice go to the next thing you like doing. Of course this needs to be balanced in time and do attempt to tackle in the long term all things that one needs to learn in order to make real progress in piano playing and musicianship. Only dont be rigid about it!
Posted by: Rich Thometz

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/08/11 12:32 PM

Great point. I always try to be supportive of my wife while she practices. Her on the other hand doesn't say anything encouraging about my practice!
Posted by: Stanza

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/08/11 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Rich Thometz
Great point. I always try to be supportive of my wife while she practices. Her on the other hand doesn't say anything encouraging about my practice!

Sound like my wife and I on the golf course!
Posted by: Chris G

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/08/11 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: gingko2
When I quit in my 20s--years ago-- it was because my teacher suggested a year of Clementi or "Clementi-like" pieces to improve my technique. I started to hate to practice, then figured I wasn't mature enough to learn the instrument.

In retrospect I should have negotiated the program or found another teacher. I don't have to love every piece I play, but I just couldn't handle that regimen.

I can understand that would drive anyone to quit. I'm a little more stubborn myself so I find myself setting my own direction and my teacher is happy with that as long as I am making progress, which I am. If I were to practice each of the things that he has suggested that I spend 15 minutes each day practicing there would be no time left to do anything else.
Posted by: Arctic_Mama

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/08/11 10:15 PM

Great first post, I think unrealistic expectations is top of the list, as well. I'm so grateful my friends and family are supportive of my playing, it makes a huge difference.
Posted by: thumper49

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/09/11 01:43 PM

Excellent discussion topic! I agree with the need to play what you love -- within the limits of your current expertise and taking on the occasional thing you hate but your teacher assigned because it helps you develop a skill that you need to work on. Different strokes: I'd love to spend a year on Clementi-like pieces!

I also agree with the warning that you can't do it all in an hour-long practice session, which is about as much as an adult with a full-time job and/or family responsibilities can manage. Some days I'm happy to spend the hour playing scales and chords.

My sympathies to those who persevere in the face of unsupportive families. I would have re-started decades ago had I not been in a situation where my partner would very quickly have begun expressing annoyance and derision at my efforts. I admire your courage if you're carrying on in such circumstances.

I think we also have to understand that progress isn't a constant thing. There are times when months go by and I feel as though I haven't progressed a bit. Then all of a sudden I get a month of very obvious improvement, and then I plateau again. Realizing that this happens can give you the will to see it through until the next period of obvious improvement.

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/09/11 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: thumper49
Excellent discussion topic! I agree with the need to play what you love -- within the limits of your current expertise and taking on the occasional thing you hate but your teacher assigned because it helps you develop a skill that you need to work on. Different strokes: I'd love to spend a year on Clementi-like pieces!

I think we also have to understand that progress isn't a constant thing....

We play because we love music, but then have to listen to ourselves play badly at times! Good point that progress isn't constant. We have to delay our musical gratification for a long time sometimes.

Playing piano is athletic, mathematical, as well as musical.
Posted by: cheechako

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/10/11 04:01 PM

I started recently, at age 49. I wondered if maybe I was too old. The common myth is that we can be too old to learn. But I was worried that maybe I was too old to physically do this. Even touch typing doesn't compare to what I was about to ask my hands to do. I have minor signs of arthritis in my hands. I probably didn't do all that great by my wrists from all those years in IT.

So far, so good. But that can still happen to me, or to many adults, older or not.

The odd thing about arthritis is that some adults find piano makes it worse, while others find that it offers some relief.
Posted by: John_In_Montreal

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/10/11 08:25 PM

We play because we love music, but then have to listen to ourselves play badly at times! Good point that progress isn't constant. We have to delay our musical gratification for a long time sometimes.

Yeah, tell me about it! But I'm never giving up smile

John
Posted by: John_In_Montreal

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/10/11 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
Op - After the thread is done, I would like you to start a new thread "3 top reasons why adults continue piano against all odds". That may inspire us more.

Excellent idea FarmGirl, excellent!!

John

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/10/11 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: John_In_Montreal

We play because we love music, but then have to listen to ou grin rselves play badly at times! Good point that progress isn't constant. We have to delay our musical gratification for a long time sometimes.

Yeah, tell me about it! But I'm never giving up smile

John

Me neither grin

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/10/11 10:18 PM

Put me down for "me neither" too.

There are some who decide to "just" listen and critique and don't play. The process of taking the various elements of the instrument, the person, the teacher, the notes or theory and turning them into music is complex-- and daunting. And why do we bother? Well, isn't the process fascinating?
Posted by: griffin2417

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/11/11 12:08 AM

The process of taking the various elements of the instrument, the person, the teacher, the notes or theory and turning them into music is complex-- and daunting. And why do we bother? Well, isn't the process fascinating?

Indeed it is fascinating!! I'm enjoying and understanding the process much better today than I did over 30 years ago.
Posted by: polyphasicpianist

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 07:33 AM

Lack of performance opportunities. I was contemplating competing, only to find out that there are no festivals or competitions in my area that allow, let alone cater to, adult beginners. Everything that is out their is either geared towards small children or people who have been playing for close to ten years. If I entered into a competition they would take my age as the indicator of my expertise. The end result is that I would be competing against people, my age (25), who are busting out Beethoven Sonatas and Bach Fugues.

I am tempted to enter one of these competitions and just play one of my simple grade four pieces just to see the reaction it provokes.
Posted by: glissade

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 07:42 AM

Originally Posted By: polyphasicpianist
Lack of performance opportunities. I was contemplating competing, only to find out that there are no festivals or competitions in my area that allow, let alone cater to, adult beginners. Everything that is out their is either geared towards small children or people who have been playing for close to ten years. If I entered into a competition they would take my age as the indicator of my expertise. The end result is that I would be competing against people, my age (25), who are busting out Beethoven Sonatas and Bach Fugues.

I am tempted to enter one of these competitions and just play one of my simple grade four pieces just to see the reaction it provokes.

Where are you from? If you are in the U.S., check out the Piano Guild Auditions. They cater to all ages and all levels, and are held in various cities all over the country. The Guild website itself I find less than helpful, because it doesn't really specifically explain the process, but this website has some good information.
Posted by: Andromaque

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 07:55 AM

According to my teacher, who has been around the block a few too many times, the main reason adults (of whatever level) quit or as he says "yo-yo in and out of lessons" is : Too much thinking.
In his mind, adults need to "do what they are told" ie engage fully in the process and avoid questioning and dissecting rationales for everything. In his mind, treating each student as an individual is something that any well-trained teacher would naturally do, but customization of each component of the lesson or varying the program significantly to suit the student's taste are counterproductive. Of course this is assuming that the individual wishes to learn classical piano. He also thinks that children approach performance with a lot more confidence and "abandon" than adults do, for the same reason: not so much higher cortical activity and calculations..
A bit too inflexible perhaps, but a fair amount of truth in there I think. That, and the variety of good points already mentioned.
Posted by: Emie

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 08:06 AM

Great topic. I am new here and am totally enjoying these posts. I learned to read music as a child but only learned to play the melody with both hands doing the same thing. frown I have always loved the sound of the piano. My grandmother, mother, and aunts all played incredibly on a beautiful grand piano in my grandmother's living room. Why, and I have asked this a zillion times, was I only taught by an aunt that lived next door and had limited skills but was a schoolteacher by trade, hence the learning to read all notes. But, the most important thing is I am back to it. I started with DVDs but since Jan have been taking professional lessons. It is slow going, but being able to read music has helped so all was not lost!! I practice whenever the moment seizes me, and it is usually when I pass the piano. It draws me like a magnet. Loving it, looking to purchase a new one by summer, and my goal is to be able to pick up any music and play (of course with some practice).
Posted by: keystring

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 09:58 AM

I wonder if there could be a thread called "10 reasons why child beginners quit"? It is less likely, because their parents won't let them. wink

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: glissade

Where are you from? If you are in the U.S., check out the Piano Guild Auditions. They cater to all ages and all levels, and are held in various cities all over the country. The Guild website itself I find less than helpful, because it doesn't really specifically explain the process, but this website has some good information.

I am from Canada, so as far as the Piano Guild Auditions are concerned I am out of luck.
Posted by: jotur

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 11:57 AM

Lack of performance opportunities. I was contemplating competing, only to find out that there are no festivals or competitions in my area that allow, let alone cater to, adult beginners.

Actually, there is no lack of performance activities - that is really not the same as a lack of competition possibilities. If, indeed, it's the competition with judges that is motivating to you, much as ski racing was for me at one time, then you are correct. But just as I could go ski for a day and find motivation in running moguls more smoothly or faster than I had before, I can go play for senior centers three times a month and find motivation in having more pieces memorized, with more musicality and more confidence.

In the competitive way of looking at it, that's competing with yourself, and setting up opportunities to test yourself. And believe me, retirment/assisted living homes will be glad to have you whether you play the old standards and traditional tunes I play, or you play classical. I've had requests for Mozart, which is not in my repertoire, but many people grew up with someone in the family who played classical, or they did themselves, and they would love to hear it again.

It actually makes no difference to them whether you have it memorized or use sheet music, so if, when you start, you don't have a lot memorized you can use the sheets for some of it.

And you don't have to have a long program. I play for 30 minutes at one place, 45 at another, and a full hour for lunch. That's negotiable with the organizer. Mostly they would love to have you however long you want.

Taking the grade level exams is open to adults, and while that's not a competition in the sense that someone is declared the winner, it does give you feedback from an objective reviewer, so that might satisfy some of the competitive part, if competing against others or a timeclock, so to speak, is really the primary goal.

But there's lots of performance opportunities that allow you to set "stretch" goals for yourself, and you don't have to be altruistic to do them. You can play at a senior center just for the "stretch" goals and the fact that the seniors will love it can be just a side effect smile It will still work.

Are you really comptemplating quitting, which is what the OP here asked about, because you can't play in competitions? I wouldn't have not skied just because there was no racing program available. I liked to ski, and I liked to challenge myself, and there were ways to do that without racing.

So for me I just went out and found performance possibilities, and didn't wait for someone to set up a competition.

My 2 cents, and probably worth less than that.

Cathy
Posted by: griffin2417

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: keystring
I wonder if there could be a thread called "10 reasons why child beginners quit"? It is less likely, because their parents won't let them. wink

To my parents credit, i was allowed to quit piano when I was 9. I had taken 3 years of lessons up to that point. I remember my mother noticed that I didn't want to practice anymore. She asked me about it, and I said I wanted to do something else. My mother didn't make me feel guilty or ashamed. However, when the new school year started, I was intrigued by a new music instrument program in which we learned other instruments. My parents rented a clarinet for me and I played for another 3 years before returning to piano. After that I eagerly practiced and enjoyed piano lessons for another 10 years into college.

To this day I credit my parents for apparently understanding me needing some time away from the piano to sort things out a bit and explore other things. I later learned that my piano teacher had had a conversation with my folks and convinced them that I would probably return to piano again. She was right!
Posted by: kevinb

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Andromaque
In his mind, adults need to "do what they are told" ie engage fully in the process and avoid questioning and dissecting rationales for everything. In his mind, treating each student as an individual is something that any well-trained teacher would naturally do, but customization of each component of the lesson or varying the program significantly to suit the student's taste are counterproductive.

Treating adults like children could certainly explain why _this_ teacher's students quit smirk

I suspect that many adults quit because they start for non-sustainable reasons. In my view, adults have to see music as a life-long, life-enhancing, journey, and not as a task to be accomplished. If one sees learning to play as a task, many adults will eventually be worn down by lack of success at that task, because of all the other detritus of adult life that hinders success.

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 01:25 PM

Just to clarify, I have no intention of quiting. smile

But my general point was not that it is impossible to find performance opportunities, it was that relative to children and experienced pianists opportunities for adult beginners are effectively zero. It is true that retirment/assisted living homes will probably cater to you (supposing you can find one that has a piano), but apart from that what else is there? If you are lucky maybe you can find a hospital or a hotel that happens to have a piano and play for some of the residents in those places, but even these are few and far between.

I guess my beef is with the general age bias. I see no reason I should be exempt from a music festival just because I started playing at older age than most.

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 01:32 PM

But my general point was not that it is impossible to find performance opportunities, it was that relative to children and experienced pianists opportunities for adult beginners are effectively zero.

FWIW I play with my children and my friends. I don't aspire to public performance, but I don't like my playing to be completely solitary.

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 01:57 PM

Just to clarify, I have no intention of quiting. smile ...

relative to children and experienced pianists opportunities for adult beginners are effectively zero. It is true that retirment/assisted living homes will probably cater to you (supposing you can find one that has a piano), but apart from that what else is there? If you are lucky maybe you can find a hospital or a hotel that happens to have a piano and play for some of the residents in those places, but even these are few and far between.

I guess my beef is with the general age bias. I see no reason I should be exempt from a music festival just because I started playing at older age than most.

I guess I disagree that the opportunities for adult beginners are fewer than for children. And I'm 65, and I find no age biases for performance opportunities, as opposed to formal competitions. And when I started playing solo a year and a half ago I played really simple stuff, because that's what I could play. Single note melodies and Alberti bass, that was it. In my experience, too, there's lots of unplayed pianos at retirement homes, tho not necessarily in very good shape. But they're playable, and part of the challenge if not in good shape. I don't schlep my keyboard except to band gigs. Even the jams have pianos available.

But I also play with a band that plays for contra dances. And at jams with other instruments. I can play 6 or 7 times a month with those folks. If you wanted to play once a week at a retirement home - and it only takes one - I'd guess they'd be happy for you to. I could, but I choose to play once a month at 3 different places.

I don't know how big the place you live in is, but Santa Fe (around 70,000) has at least a dozen places, and even Chanute, Kansas, which is little, has at least one. So "few and far between" seems unlikely, to me.

Some friends of mine in a town of about 12,000 have a piano group that plays for each other once a month on a Sunday. You could try that. It doesn't have to be competitive - they've asked me if I want to join, and I'm nowhere near the pianist they are laugh Or your next door neighbor, who used to play guitar, might want to get together sometimes.

There are opportunities, tho I think you are really more interested in the competitive end of it, and you are right, from what little I know, that the opportunities there are fewer.

But I think you are wrong about general performance opportunities - at least in my experience. So if what you want is performance opportunities, those exist. If you want to be rated or ranked, there are other exams besides guild, and they exist in Canada, and they don't have age limits.

But if you focus on competitions, then what you'll see is what you see now.

Cathy

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 03:14 PM

Playing in senior centres is fine and good, but am I to relegate myself to just that? Let me give an example of why a competition might be a worthwhile thing. One of the annual competitions that is held in my city is a concerto competition. If you win, you get a chance to perform with one of our local orchestras. (I think there are also other competitive chamber music type opportunities as well.) Even if I did get good enough to compete in this competition, my age instantly exempts me. Also, there is still the lingering question of why adult beginners are necessarily exempt from non-competitive music festivals? (The piano guild auditions excepted of course, but as I am in Canada these do not occur here)

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 03:44 PM

Playing in senior centres is fine and good, but am I to relegate myself to just that? Let me give an example of why a competition might be a worthwhile thing. One of the annual competitions that is held in my city is a concerto competition. If you win, you get a chance to perform with one of our local orchestras.

I have no problem with you being miffed about not having that opportunity to aspire to.

But it's not the same thing as not having performance opportunities.

So saying that there aren't competitions with the kinds of rewards you would like to have is legitimate.

But saying there are no performance opportunities is a different thing. Confounding the two is making a legitimate statement into something closer to a pity party, in my opinion.

Yes, from what little I know, the chance to show that one can play with an orchestra, and to do so, is probably more limited for an adult who started as an adult, and is still at grade 4, than it is for an adult who started early, or a child who did.

But performance opportunities, in general, which is what you were saying when you said "effectively zero" without talking specifically as you did above, are a different issue.

So I sympathize with your wish to have an opportunity for which it is not likely for you to have available.

It's just not generalizable to "no performance opportunities", that's all.

Cathy

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: jotur
...But saying there are no performance opportunities is a different thing. Confounding the two is making a legitimate statement into something closer to a pity party, in my opinion....

...But performance opportunities, in general, which is what you were saying when you said "effectively zero" without talking specifically as you did above, are a different issue.

...It's just not generalizable to "no performance opportunities", that's all.

Cathy

Sorry to nitpick smile , but I never said adult beginners have no performance opportunities. I said they had a lack of performance opportunities relative to young children or vastly experienced pianists. And when I said "effectively zero" I again meant relative to these two groups. You may think "effectively zero" is perhaps overstating it, but when I look at all the bulletins for various competitions and festivals each season at my local conservatory it really begins to hit hard how much adult beginners are excluded from the rest of the pianistic world, and for no good reason.

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 05:12 PM

So - what are the consequences?

You've said you're not going to quit, although the topic of the thread was why adults quit.

You feel excluded from "the rest of the pianistic world", which to me is, as you say, overstating it.

You've vented about it.

Now what?

Cathy

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 05:35 PM

Hm. I will add another post though.

I disagree that, relative to children and professionals, there are a lack of performance opportunities for adults, even those who started as adults. You may not see it that way, but then you doubted the existence of pianos to play on at senior homes, without apparently having looked into it, and my experience is that there is no lack of pianos.

If you had said, relative to children and professionals there is a lack of competitions, then I as far as I can tell you're correct.

But you can't conflate the two. You have to say exactly which you mean. Because they are not equivalent.

Cath
Posted by: tangleweeds

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 05:37 PM

I'm be interested to hear from adult beginners who have actually quit playing for a while (as adult beginner, not dropping out of childhood lessons). What were the reasons you stopped?

The reasons I have quit since restarting piano are:

* Having a teacher who kept assigning me method-book pieces I really, really loathed the sound of, so that it felt like musical torture to play and practice them repeatedly.

Not only did this happen as an adult, but it was also my main reason for hating piano lessons as a child. I think many teachers underestimate how horrifyingly dull and clunky those pedagogically-designed method book pieces can sound to a learner.

* Getting distracted by learning or playing a different musical instrument for a while. Personally I don't think this is a problem, but from a piano teacher's point of view, it would make me into a flaky on&off sort of student.

Those are my main reasons for having quit for a while. What are yours?

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 06:38 PM

One doesn't walk into a retirement home or other setting and play a single piece. It takes some time to have a program--even just a program of simple pieces.

It's also intimidating to play for an audience, especially as an adult. Some people are more intimidated than others. This is understandable and acceptable for children--but as adults we feel pretty silly about our nerves. I have a friend who quit his musical instrument because he could never get over his terror of performing.

So what I'm thinking (I don't want to put words into anyone else's mouth) is that having regular opportunities to perform single pieces for a empathetic, constructively critical audience is a desirable intermediate step to "performing" in public.

That's what missing for me because I haven't had a teacher for years. So I can relate to the lack of this intermediate type of "performance" opportunity, Without it I won't graduate to "even" playing at retirement homes.

Sure, there are always ways if you're determined. In my a town of 2,000--well, there aren't so many venues for beginner/intermediate players. I'm looking forward to playing the first time on one of the ABF recitals-that's a terrific idea-and at one of my teacher's recitals (hopefully this summer).

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 07:01 PM

gingko2 -

It does take awhile to have more than one piece. A half-hour set for me is 6 to 8 pieces if I play thru the repeats.

The ABF recitals are great. They were where I first started playing solos, and I'd guess more than half the pieces I play were first ABF recital pieces.

I suppose you could organize a talent show at church and play your piece there - that'd be a sympathetic audience! Or take a couple of kids with you to the senior center so they're the stars smile

Hope your recital goes well, and have fun.

Cathy
Posted by: FormerFF

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/27/11 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: tangleweeds
I'm be interested to hear from adult beginners who have actually quit playing for a while (as adult beginner, not dropping out of childhood lessons). What were the reasons you stopped?

The reasons I have quit since restarting piano are:

* Having a teacher who kept assigning me method-book pieces I really, really loathed the sound of, so that it felt like musical torture to play and practice them repeatedly.

Not only did this happen as an adult, but it was also my main reason for hating piano lessons as a child. I think many teachers underestimate how horrifyingly dull and clunky those pedagogically-designed method book pieces can sound to a learner.

* Getting distracted by learning or playing a different musical instrument for a while. Personally I don't think this is a problem, but from a piano teacher's point of view, it would make me into a flaky on&off sort of student.

Those are my main reasons for having quit for a while. What are yours?

As my signature says, I'm currently on hiatus from the piano and am taking guitar. Right now, it seems like I'm better suited to guitar and the hiatus may become permanent. What got me started on the guitar was the struggle I was having with piano. (See here for details.) It's been my observation that getting results is the greatest motivator, and I haven't been doing very well there.

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/28/11 03:52 AM

Playing in senior centres is fine and good, but am I to relegate myself to just that? Let me give an example of why a competition might be a worthwhile thing. One of the annual competitions that is held in my city is a concerto competition. If you win, you get a chance to perform with one of our local orchestras.

I can sort-of sympathise. I find myself excluded by reason of age from most composition competitions. Winning such a competion often means a chance to have your work performed by a proper orchestra, rather than by your family and friends smile Actually it's family & friends if you're lucky, and a computer if you're not smirk

For the organizer of a competition aimed at beginner-to-intermediate level of any kind of subject, it's always going to be easier to set the limit by age -- 'intermediateness' is not an easy quality to measure.

But if I ever give up, I can't imagine lack of competition opportunities will be the reason. I didn't play the piano for six years because I couldn't physically get one into the house. I did have an electronic one, but this was a time when I had babies and a new job and all that stuff, and playing just didn't seem worth the hassle. My suspicion is that it's this kind of consideration that drives adult to quit, rather than lack of competition prospects (although I can understand the irritation).
Posted by: currawong

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/28/11 06:02 AM

You may think "effectively zero" is perhaps overstating it, but when I look at all the bulletins for various competitions and festivals each season at my local conservatory it really begins to hit hard how much adult beginners are excluded from the rest of the pianistic world, and for no good reason.
So what I'm thinking (I don't want to put words into anyone else's mouth) is that having regular opportunities to perform single pieces for a empathetic, constructively critical audience is a desirable intermediate step to "performing" in public.

That's what missing for me because I haven't had a teacher for years. So I can relate to the lack of this intermediate type of "performance" opportunity, Without it I won't graduate to "even" playing at retirement homes.

Sure, there are always ways if you're determined. In my a town of 2,000--well, there aren't so many venues for beginner/intermediate players.
Those of you like gingko2 and polyphasicpianist who lament the lack of performance opportunities could think about forming a group of interested amateur players (doesn't have to be just piano either). I know of several of these groups in my area (which is not a big city). You could advertise on community notice boards or wherever such things happen in your area. All you need is somewhere with a piano and two or three interested people.

polyphasicpianist, I'm still a bit confused as to whether you are lamenting the lack of performance opportunities or competition opportunities. Performance opportunities can be found in groups such as I mentioned. It will take a bit of effort to find the people and organise it, but the results can be very rewarding indeed. If it's competition as distinct from public performance, you might find preparing for an exam motivates you, and provides a bit of feedback on your progress.
Posted by: currawong

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/28/11 06:16 AM

...when I look at all the bulletins for various competitions and festivals each season at my local conservatory it really begins to hit hard how much adult beginners are excluded from the rest of the pianistic world, and for no good reason.
By the way, I've taught adult beginners for many years, and I don't think any of them have ever inquired about competitions they could enter. In fact if I'd said the word "competition" most of them would have showed a certain amount of alarm. smile Quite a few brought themselves to do exams, however.
But interestingly, some local teachers lobbied one of our regional competitions to include a section that was based on years of learning rather than age. This section was introduced, but after a couple of years faded out because there was no-one interested in entering. That might shed light on your "for no good reason" comment. They saw no point in running the section if no-one entered.
Posted by: ten left thumbs

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/28/11 09:37 AM

Hi everyone,

I hope no-one minds me posting in this thread - I certainly don't want to hijack the discussion. I have recently been making a website to advertise piano lessons, and have included a page on adult learners, inspired both by this thread and also by the many many questions that adults ask, and frustrations that adults share, on this forum generally.

My aims for this page are (1) to encourage adults to give it a try where they might have thought that only children can learn and (2) to give them realistic expectations about what learning piano entails.

I would be really grateful for feedback on this page (www.justfingers.co.uk - adult learners). Does it hit the spot? Is it accurate? I am quite genuinely interested in feedback, and not simply trying to get people onto my site.

Many thanks in advance for any comments.
Posted by: casinitaly

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/28/11 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs
I would be really grateful for feedback on this page (www.justfingers.co.uk - adult learners). Does it hit the spot? Is it accurate? I am quite genuinely interested in feedback, and not simply trying to get people onto my site.

Many thanks in advance for any comments.

I had a look - however, I got a "this site is suspicious" warning - saying that if I wasn't sure about the site I should get out of there, as it might be harmful to my computer. I don't know what triggers that message, but it is bound to scare people off. You might want to look into it.

I quickly copied the text and read your bit about adult learners -I think that is is very good. One detail I would suggest emphasising would be "patience" - ie: adult beginners are EXTREMELY impatient with themselves and tend to think they are incompetent (to say the least) - it is really really important, I think , for adults to learn to be patient and supportive towards themselves.

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/28/11 11:32 AM

Hey, Laura -

I like your style very much in your website. It reminds me of your posting style, which is down-to-earth, straight, and good-humored about life and its foibles and rewards.

One thing that I found true for me as a returning-after-35-years-of-not-playing was that not only did much stuff come back, which was a big boost, but that, since I only had 2 years in my teens, I had a lot of "holes" in my technique, knowledge, and musicality skills. I actually had no musicality skills. So it might be worth, in the returning adult part, to say something about what a great opportunity they have to build on the skills they started with and they may play music in ways they never even thought about when they were kids. It's certainly been one of the biggest rewards to me, to play with ease, and to make music and not just notes.

Any way, I also like the layout of your website - very clean and to the point. I hope this is a big success for you!

Cathy
Posted by: ten left thumbs

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/28/11 12:28 PM

Thankyou Casinitaly and Cathy.

Casinitaly, I just checked in a different browser and had no problems with the site. I'm not sure what to do, as it's a free google site. Maybe your firewall is particularly sensitive? I'll think about that one.

The issue of adults simply saying 'I'm incompetent, I just can't do this' is, I think, huge. It's not that they can't do it. It's just that they have underestimated how much dedication it takes to be able to do it. And I think adults often make this mistake at the beginning, thinking that they will be able to play easy pieces, only to find that easy pieces aren't all that easy.

Maybe there's something about the piano that makes it look so easy. You pick up a French horn and you probably won't be able to make a sound out of it. So it's easy to accept that there is a steep learning curve. So see a baby sit at a piano, bang it, and make a noise. So you imagine it should be fairly easy to bash out some Clementi...

Thankyou also for your good wishes. I have learned a lot from hanging around here, and hope to put it to good use! laugh
Posted by: casinitaly

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/31/11 02:13 PM

Ten left thumbs - I just set up a new web page and got the same error as I did on your page.

This seems to be a sort of cheeky bit of behaviour on the part of CHECKPOINT (aka Zone Alarm) who have started flagging a lot of things in order to get people to upgrade!!!!

You have to click on the warning and tell them that it is an ok site (I think it was the "get more info" ) sorry, I didn't write it down.

I was informed that it would be corrected for me immediately and for others very soon.

You should do it too.
Posted by: shannonia

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 03/31/11 07:07 PM

I totally agree with those reasons
You have to know what you want before you start. I knew from the start I just wanted to learn for fun, without exams and stuff. Practice is essential, but even if you don't have a lot of time, it doesn't matter as long as you're consistent. I practise 20-25 minutes a day, 6 days a week and I think it's worked out well. Frustration is the reason why I think most people would give up. There are times when I wish I had a really big window to throw my piano out of (except it's brand new and really pretty so I won't). But then, I think back to the beginning when I couldn't even read music and my C major scale took about 5 mintues to do! Now it's only 3 minutes (kidding). If you're out there feeling frustrated, slow it down and keep trying. You do get past those frustrating bumps in the road!
Posted by: NewBeginner

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 04/06/11 11:20 PM

I've been at it for 5 months now, no sign of quitting yet. Seven years ago, I took lessons but quit only after 3 months, mainly because of the pressure to practice from weekly assignments. This time around,I have my own baby grand piano, practice at my schedule every day, learning from the Czerny-Germer Selected Piano Studies Vol. 1, some day 2 hours, and 10 minutes if I feel tired after work. What got me into piano this time is my nephew. He is very good and has inspired me enthusiastically into learning the piano. I bought the piano, first intended for my nephew to play when he comes to my house, now I'm hooked. My goal is to be able to play like him in 4, 5, 6, 7 years.... I may not get there, but I think the process (or the journey) is more fun. I am 62.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olbPZYbG3mU
Posted by: CebuKid

Re: 3 Top Reasons Why Adult Beginners Quit - 04/06/11 11:49 PM

Let's define "quitting." Quitting is when you...quit, right? lol

I'm not a quitter, and never plan on quitting, but I'll be the first to admit - I am extremely streaky with this piano thing, and have frequent bouts of "de-motivation" and inactivitiy. I guess it's part of who I am, and kudos to all of you guys here who churn out piece after piece due to your diligent practice. smile

It's a combination of lots of different factors in my case...1st my kids' piano has become a greater priority, so I typically spend an hour a night supervising them. 2nd, I get distracted with other hobbies - these are usually temporary projects...and 3rd, there's the "been-there-done-that" factor. I'm not talented or "great" but I'm pretty content with the level I've achieved and I know I'm capable of playing pieces within this level. For me, personally, it's just a matter of sitting down and working on those pieces. I guess right now, I'm in the "lull period" - for the past 2 weeks actually - which is why I've been on this keyboard a lot lately.lol

Just you guys wait..next week, I'll be bragging how much practice I've put in...lol.

But quit for good?? NEVER! smokin