Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels

Posted by: PianoStudent88

Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/16/11 03:58 PM

There used to be a thread for those of us using Faber and Faber Piano Adventures, but it's been dormant for a long time and I can't find a more recent one. So here's a new one. Hopefully anyone using Faber & Faber will join in; I'd love to hear your experiences. Don't know if there's enough of us to support different threads for different levels, so for now I propose all levels on this thread. We can always split apart if we emerge from the woodwork in droves!

I'm a retread; taught myself to play at age 8 and continued playing for 10 years until I went away to college. Bought a piano (1985 Baldwin upright) this spring after 30 years away from it and am ecstatically in love. Worked through 1 1/2 books of the two Bastien for Older Beginners books, have worked through some of the Robert Pace books (the multikey approach is fantastic for getting you really familiar with the keyboard), and have now turned to Piano Adventures, starting up in Level 3A. Now on Unit 3, on 3/8 and 6/8 time. I looked at the Adult All-in-One but after working through the Bastien I've coverd most of that, plus I really really wanted the Technique Secrets as you get them in the regular course.

I also have a teacher who has me in Alfred Adult All-In-One Book 1, but my heart is with Faber.

What's your experience with Faber?
Posted by: PianoPraise

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/16/11 04:21 PM

I am using the Piano Adventures Book 1. I have only started lessons 3 months ago and am not very far in the book, but I like it so far. I'm learning Jingle Bells right now.

I am wanting to play Hymns and Southern Gospel, my problem is finding suplimental material at the level I am right now. It is all either just the right hand part, or too advanced.
Posted by: mom3gram

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/16/11 05:46 PM

Are you using the children's Piano Adventures, or the Adult Piano Adventures?

I play from the Faber Adult Piano Adventures occasionally, but I really prefer Alfred. I think the music in Faber sounds better, but it's harder to self-teach from. I'm on Alfred Adult All-in-one Book 2, but I dip into my Adult Piano Adventures Book 1 when I hit a wall with Alfred. I will probably continue using both methods, because each one has some things that the other omits.

BTW, there are at least 2 Adult Piano Adventures threads. One is very old, and one is maybe a year or less old. They never really caught on though, because I don't think many people here use the Adult Piano Adventures as their primary method.

I think the last pieces I've worked on were Lion Sleeps Tonight, and Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/16/11 05:57 PM

I'm using the non-adults Piano Adventures -- the regular one that children use. I like the music, the pictures, and the emphasis on technique.
Posted by: ZoeCalgary

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/18/11 01:43 PM

Hi. I just started lessons this past week and my teacher suggested the Faber level 3A/3B books as a place for me to start (I had 5 years of organ lessons as a kid). Along with my recent piano purchase I got all of the music that person had and in there were several Faber books. None of the method books but several supplementary books. I decided to go back to the level 2B books as songs are a bit simpler and lets me focus better on my left hand (which is my weaker hand) and adding the right pedal and other dynamics and getting back to sight reading. I find the arrangements sound really nice and are fun to play. Currently from Faber I am working on

- Music Box Dancer in Chord Time Piano Popular Level 2B
- Toreador's Song in Fun Time Piano Classics Level 3

I think I might pick up some of the Faber technique books too but haven't had a chance to go through them to see if this will be a good fit for me.

I'm excited about the Faber series because I struggle to find pieces that are at my level (or slightly above so I feel I am still learning) that are fun to play and sound nice. I think I will be spending alot of time with the Faber supplementary materials. I have quite a selection to those books above including:

- Chord Time Piano Classics Level 2B
- Fun Time Piano Popular Level 3
- Fun Time Piano Ragtime and Marches Level 3A/3B
- Big Time Piano Classics Level 4

I did look through the Alfred series too but for now it will be Faber. Some of the longer pieces near the end of each level of Alfred will be a fun challenge in a few months I think.

Hopefully us few Faber folks can keep this thread going as I find it motivating to hear what other people are playing and/or of some great new songs to learn. I find I struggle with what to play next. Hopefully my teacher will be making some suggestions as we progress in the next few months.
Posted by: opusmusic

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/20/11 07:35 PM

I am a piano teacher and have used Piano Adventures many times for my adult beginner students. It is a wonderful comprehensive that teaches beginners to play in many hand positions from the get go (not just C position). It develops students to be well-rounded musicians and note readers. Good choice!
Posted by: Nguyen

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/23/11 01:41 PM

I graduated 2B last month and now working on 3A. I like both Alfred and PA. I think PA pieces are easier and musically better but Alfred pieces are more familiar and I like them a lot more. Ideally, I’d pick one and supplement with the other. It’s just hard to keep up so I had to drop Alfred. To me, PA level of difficulty increases gradually and is easier to progress. I haven’t hit any wall in PA as I used to in Alfred with a few of them like Blow the Man Down, Amazing Grace, He Got the Whole World in His Hands etc…

Mom3gram, how have you been? It’s been almost a year since I last posted. Glad to see you still actively participating in these threads.
Posted by: KurtZ

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/23/11 02:15 PM

I did 2.5 books of PA (non-adult) but am transitioning out of method books and into traditional intermediate etudes and literature. We'll probably cherry pick a few (classical) pieces out of later P.A. books. I'm a big fan of PA and am very impressed with it's pedagogical method and progression. That is, it taught me piano whereas the red Bastien Adult book failed before.

Nguyen, it's good to "see" you after all this time.

Kurt
Posted by: Reiki3

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/23/11 07:01 PM

I've been playing piano since January, and I'm progressing thru the Alfred Adult Self Teaching book without too much difficulty. I'm curently working on Little Brown Jug, Chiapanacas and O Sole Mio.

My question and the reason I'm posting on this thread is that I'm very disappointed to find that when I try to play much easier pieces in other books, I can't play them the first couple times thru without a lot of mistakes. And I'm talking very basic books, like kids level two. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't feel like I have a very firm foundation in the basics. I'm worried about going farther in Alfred's because I'm afraid without a better grasp of the basics, I'm really going to have trouble farther down the line. Is this why some of you have switched to Piano Adventures, to get the basics down better?
Posted by: Emissary52

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/23/11 10:49 PM

Reiki3 - Don't feel too bad over not being able to play through stuff that you perceive as being easier than the stuff you're currently working on. I used to feel the same way, but over a longer period of time, this will get easier! You're still in the early stages of learning the piano. But to add some perspective, I doubt I could sail through The Entertainer at the end of Alfred's Adult Book 1 without a bit of refresher time, that's for sure! I'm beginning to wonder whether Van Cliburn could go play perfectly, a selection from Billy Joel's Greatest Hits without a little practice time either! grin

I've used Faber's Adult Piano Book 2 for a couple of pieces and started Alfred's Adult AIO 2 when I became dis-enchanted with it and switched to Alfred's Masterwork Classics series. I'm in Book 3 and working on Bourlesq by Daddy Mozart which co-incidently is on pg. 100 of Alfred's AIO 2. Even if you don't use all of the material from any given method book, there's always some little tip you pick up from each one that can be useful in the other method books.

Nguyen - Good to know you're still around! I thought maybe your son hijacked the piano and left you with just your ipod and laptop to play with!!! Please report in once in a while ...we miss you!
Posted by: Reiki3

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/24/11 02:23 AM

Thank you for your reply, Emissary52! I feel better after reading that this is a pretty normal part of the learning curve. Without having a teacher, sometimes it's hard to tell what is a real roadblock to progress and what's just something that time and more practice will fix.

I think I might try getting an easy Piano Adventures book and try going through it for a different perspective on this fascinating journey of learning to play the piano.

And it sounds like you're doing VERY well since you're working on pieces from Book 3 of the Masterworks Classics!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/24/11 07:39 AM

Hi, Nguyen! I'm so glad to see you, and that you are still playing piano. I haven't been playing as much as I used to - I let other things get in the way like my watercolor painting and exercising (doc's orders). I'm still hanging in with Alfred, but ever since you started on the PA books, I've been tempted to get some of the kids version to see if I like them. Hope you continue to post now and then. We've missed you.
Posted by: mivaldes

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/24/11 10:02 PM

As an adult learner (hate to say beginner) I have started and stopped several times with the Alfred books. I have bought several of the method books for children now (for my children) and I just don't like them. I picked up a book of Bach minuets and have been working for six weeks on the first one. It is hard, but I enjoy actually being able to play something that sounds like I know what I'm doing even if I don't! My family is sick of hearing it I'm sure, but I like the confidence it gives me. I think my new goal as an adult learner is just to slowly build my repertoire this way even if it takes me longer!
Posted by: findingnemo2010

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/24/11 10:45 PM

get out of the method books as soon as you can and into the repertoire. thats when you really learn and can play =)
Posted by: Sundew

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/25/11 03:15 PM

I worked my way through Faber Adult One. I quite enjoyed it but not enough to invest in Book 2. I reached about half way through Alfred Book 2 and am currently working through Book 2 of the Hal Leonard series. I used to supplement with other material but am limited time wise at the moment so I am mostly focused on slow progression with the method. I think that atually suits me more by helping me be more focused, though I can get a titsy bit bored with it at times.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/27/11 12:10 PM

Great to see this small but enthusiastic band of Faberites!

mom3gram, I like the Piano Adventures (kids) music a lot better than Alfred. Also I think Piano Adventures gives more interesting things for the left hand to do, which in turn is IMHO a better education for the left hand.
Posted by: Michael Taylor

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/27/11 04:54 PM

I am currently working with the Faber All in One book 2 for adults. However, I have been spending most of my practice time working on The Entertainer. Once I get nail it, I'm going to focus on finishing the Faber book. I also have a Faber book of performances (3a I think.) I have played about half of the songs in that book.
Posted by: Nguyen

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 07/08/11 02:08 AM

KurtZ, thank you. It's good to see you too.

Craig, my son is good. He is 3 now and doesn't bother my practice as much anymore as he has his own toys. I miss this place too, just not much time to post and participate.

mom3gram, I'm good. I practice when I can but not as much anymore. I lurk once in awhile just to see what's up. I guess I will stop lurking when I stop piano but I hope that won't happen. I'd like to put my son through piano so I guess I have to do the dirty work in advance smile

Glad to see you're all well. I wish more will join to keep this thread alive for the few of us PA enthusiasts.

So long,
Posted by: JimF

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 07/08/11 02:53 PM

Hey there Nguyen. Nice to see you around again. I remember you from my old Alfred 1 days. Don't be such a stranger.

Jim
Posted by: Emie

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 07/09/11 07:19 PM

Michael, I too am working on The Entertainer and am just about ready to nail it as you say!
I find the Faber and Faber to be tough but it touches on so many varied aspects of piano playing. I play damn good at home but then when I get to my teacher's house I clam right up. Strange. I am almost done book 1 and have already purchased book 2. Any of you just pick up a piece of popular music and play that? I like to try different things and look forward to the day when I can pick up a piece of music unknown to me and just play to my heart's content. Hopefully that day will come. smile

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 09/01/11 04:03 PM

For the ones in book 2, how dong did it take you to get through book 1?
I started lessons on 03/22/11 and I'm on page 70(something) Moon on the Water and 500 year Melody are my songs this week.
Is this a normal rate? I am learning with a teacher.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 09/02/11 12:47 PM

Hi, Piano Praise! This thread isn't very active, and I didn't want your post to go unanswered. I can't remember when I started PA Adult Piano Adv., but I only use it as a supplement, so weeks and sometimes months go by before I pick it up again. I'm guessing that most people take several months to a year to finish it. I remember Moon on the Water which I really liked, but I don't remember 500 year Melody. I'll have to look for it. LOL Don't worry about a normal rate - everyone is different, everyone has different amounts of supplemental pieces and/or exercises that they play (or none at all), and everyone learns at a different rate. In the end, your progress and your enjoyment of the learning are what matters.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 09/06/11 01:07 PM

Hi mom3gram,

Thanks for your response.

I wish there were more adults in Faber Piano Adventures. It would be nice to chat with others who are in the same book.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 09/06/11 05:07 PM

Hi PianoPraise, welcome to the thread. I'm sporadically working on the regular Piano Adventures 3A. I will get the Adult Piano Adventures and work through it and then you'll have someone to keep you company.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 09/07/11 08:08 AM

That sounds great.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 09/07/11 04:27 PM

I just finished the Adult FAber Piano Adventures Book 1. I posted a thread a couple days ago but got only a couple responses. I have book 2 but my teacher is hesitant about continuing with it. Looking for something to keep learning. It took about 7 months for me to complete the book but my teacher is very critical(a good thing) and keeps me on my toes. Not exactly sure of her reasoning for not wanting to continue. She says it is because she doesn't want me to get discouraged though I thought I was doing a great job. I trust her so now she is giving me simplistic music that she wants me to perfect but I don't really like the music so I am not as thrilled as I once was. Wish I knew what books would be best to continue with.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 09/07/11 08:59 PM

Emie, congratulations on finishing Adult PA 1!

What I read teachers saying (about regular PA at least) is that students love the music in it. It sounds like Adult PA is a hit also.

Can you talk to your teacher about your concerns? Is the new music from a method book, or sheet music, or what?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 09/08/11 07:54 AM

I have been taking lessons since March and I am only about half way through the book. My songs this week are May Dance and When the Saints go Marching In. I am having some trouble with both of them. In the May Dance, the repeated eighth notes with staccato is a bit difficult for me. I'm sure I'll get it before my next lesson.

My teacher mentions on occasion that she's not sure if I will want to continue in book 2, I've never asked why. I do like having a book to go through because I wouldn't be very structured without it. I plan to get book 2.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 09/08/11 05:49 PM

Thanks PianoStudent88. The new music is from the internet beginner piano sites and I am sure her reasoning is that if it is simple I should be playing it perfectly and I will feel satisfaction. I will need to speak with her though as I do not like the music and therefore I am unmotivated to practice like I should. I keep going back to the pretty pieces that I love to hear.
PianoPraise, it would be interesting to see why your teacher feels the same way as mine about not continuing with book 2.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/07/11 09:27 AM

Emie,

I like having a book because I need the structure. I will probably go to book 2 unless she has a specific reason why I shouldn't, or some other structured book to continue in.

My lessons aren't very structured anyway, I play what I practiced for the week, one or two of the songs assigned, do a first playthrough of the one for the next week and that's about it. I did ask last week if we could add some ear training.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/07/11 11:45 AM

Those of you in the Faber books, if you are looking for Christmas music, I heartily recommend their Christmas For All Time Book 2. The arrangements are great - the arrangement of "Oh Holy Night" alone is worth the price of the book.
Posted by: djheinen

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/14/11 07:55 AM

newbie here, both to the piano and to piano world. noticed alfred's was the dominant book used here. I am using faber and I do like most of the songs in it. I am currently working on Vive la France. I have been taking lessons for 4 months now with a great teacher and having a lot of fun. I was wondering about book 2 as well. Is it as good as the first? How does everyone feel after they finish both books? Can you sightread pretty well, or is it still just the basics? I don't expect to be a concert pianist, but I would like to be able to sit down and play some songs that are "real", as my wife calls them. Hopefully this thread stays active.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/14/11 10:47 AM

Hi posted awhile back about using Faber books. I have moved away from them as I decided to pursue RCM and now I am mostly working out of those books. However just last week I went back to the Faber books and found them to be fun and I like the arrangements Alot. I recently got bogged down in some of my scales and studies and decided I needed a break. The Faber books are fun and musical. I love them so much I got the Big Time Level 4 Christmas book last week. Some really great arrangements in there and my teacher says they are just at my level.

I still have gaps in technique and want to go back to some earlier books to get tips and technique. My teacher explains things but having the books helps me lots. My only guess about your teacher not wanting to move to the next book may be because she feels you will be bored. If you liked book 1 I'm guessing you will like book 2.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/14/11 12:24 PM

It took me about 4 months to go through book 1 of adult beginners. I worked really hard on getting through it as quickly as possible. However, I don't think it should be a race. I would recommend that you spend as much time as you and your teacher decide to spend on it. If you don't understand a particular section, what's the point in moving on? I am currently working on Adult Piano Adventures All In One Book 2. It includes the Solo, Technique, and Theory books in one book. It also includes a CD (although I still haven't played it!) I have been working on this book for about 8 months. I am finding that I am still learning quite a bit, even though I find the pieces very easy.

The All In One (Book 2) seems to combine book 2 and book 3, but I am not 100% certain. The interesting thing is that there is not an All in One Book 3. I'm not sure where I should go next! I am also using other Faber books (Performance level 3 and 4 and Bigtime Christmas) for practicing sight reading. I find the pieces more interesting and challenging.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/14/11 02:50 PM

thanks for those replies! and @mtaylor. I watched your hark the herald angel, and I hope to be able to do that at some point! I'm fighting the urge to "treat it like a race". I want to progress rapidly, but I know I should learn all I can at each step. thanks again!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/14/11 03:11 PM

Michael Taylor, I checked my Adult and Regular PA books and it looks like Regular PA 4 would be a good level after Adult 2. If you wanted more practice before moving up you could go to regular PA 3B.

If you want to know the contents of the regular books by level for comparison, let me know and I'll post them here.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/14/11 03:48 PM

@PianoStudent88....thanks. My piano teacher also recommended that I move to the level 4 book next. It will likely be another 2 or 3 months before I finish the All In One Book2. I am going at a much slower pace through book 2.

@DJ.....good luck and thanks for watching the video. I am planning to learn 5 songs from the Faber BigTime Christmas (Level 4.) I will post each one after I can play it (without that darn little red dot distracting me!) I can play 3 so far. I have not yet recorded Carol of the Bells.....I like it, but it isn't quite as musical as the Hark! The Herald Angels or The First Noel. I have been working on O Holy Night for about 1 week. I hope to be able to play it reasonable well by the end of the week.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/14/11 05:06 PM

I am learning What Child Is This and Carol if the Bells. I really like both. Took a look at Silent Night as well. I really like these arrangements. I can see me doing several in the next couple of weeks. Maybe we should put them in a special Christmas piano bar?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/14/11 05:32 PM

@Zoe.....Christmas Piano bar sounds good to me. I think my submission will be O Holy Night. I really like that one! I will try Silent Night. I agree, I think the arrangement are awesome!
Posted by: moebo

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/07/11 01:07 PM

Hi Everyone,

I've posted a few times on behalf of my son-- over on the teachers forum. But now I find myself here for me. I have been attempting to learn piano along with my children. My oldest is working on Faber Piano Adventures Level 3A. I can play about half of the pieces-- mainly the slower paced material. My left hand gets lost when I try the faster songs. I am NOT profecient at reading music for the left hand (bass)-- probably from a limited history of playing clarinet-- treble clef.

When my son brought home Level 3A Xmas book I was excited to see O Holy Night. I can play it perfectly now after a few days of practice. But it started to sound a bit elementary to me and I wondered what the next level up would sound like. I found Michael Taylors youtube video for level 4 and was so inspired (you play wonderfully). I went out and bought the book.

Alas-- I am having a hard time!. It's just the first day but... How long before you were able to master some of these songs in the level 4 Xmas book? Maybe I'm just not ready yet.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/07/11 03:48 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback! Some of the pieces are easier than others, but I take the same approach to all of them. I play the right hand separately. The right hand part is generally pretty simple. For the left hand section, I look for patterns. Generally, there are only a few chords in each song that repeat over and over (see O Holy Night.) The other tactic is using a metronome to help set the tempo (start slow and increase speed.) Given the way the chords are broken up, keeping the tempo becomes easier once you get used to playing both hands. I have learned 4 pieces from the book. It took about 1 week for each piece before I was able to play proficiently. O Holy Night was the most difficult for me. One last thing, I add/change certain parts of the piece, so my play doesn't necessarily match the sheet music.

Good Luck!
Posted by: moebo

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/08/11 08:52 AM

Thanks so much for your advice. I've got the right hand mastered as it's essentially the same from 3A. In fact there are sections that are identical even with the left hand. I'm having trouble keeping a nice pace with the left hand in addition to reaching all the notes so I have taken your suggestion and have begun using the metronome. Over time I may come to some version that is pleasing.
Posted by: maduro

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/08/11 09:37 AM

this is a great thread I am starting work on big time piano level 3a-3b and this has encouraged me to get the adult all in one volume 2
indeed I believe when you finish this book I should be at level two
I believe this book is equivalent to the john thompson book two and three.
I was a john thompson advocate but the level three book was monotonous the songs all sounded the same to me.

one thing I will give to the original john thompson course is the etude selections which seem to not be available anymore.

I am going to go to Faber because I need songs that are interesting to play I am 44 and have little tolerance to just do exercises
if Faber adult book prepares me for a true fourth grade leve then I will be very happy indeed

and for material you can always buy a intermediate folio of songs at the 3rd grade level to give you more to munh on.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/08/11 10:06 AM

I'm told that the adult all in one includes 3a and 3b. It may not be worthy your money.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/08/11 02:56 PM

maduro, when you say "true fourth grade level", every series, and every rating scheme, varies a little bit in its levels.

If you're just starting work on the Faber & Faber BigTime piano books, then I think (contra Michael Taylor) that the Adult All-In-One Book 2 is a good choice. As Michael Taylor says, it covers Piano Adventures levels 3a and 3b and prepares you for Piano Adventures level 4. It will give more explanation and reinforcement of what you're seeing in the BigTime books, including some (but not onerously many) exercises to solidify certain skills.

But we're basically saying the same thing: it overlaps the skills tested in your BigTime books.

I see the overlap as good, because it goes into the material in more specificity and I always think that's good. Michael sees it as maybe not worth it, precisely because it's similar material.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/08/11 05:01 PM

I went to the Faber website and read through the catalog at Piano Adventures.com

I'm wondering if my plan to skip book 3a/3b is a good idea. The website basically points you to book three after completing All In One book 2. I'm not interested in skipping any material. I've taught billiards in the past. Everyone wants to skip the basics and learn trick shots, bank shots, etc.....all the exciting stuff. Fundamentals are important. That being said, I think I will get a little bored with book 3, as much of the material in book 2 is a little slow for me. What keeps me going is that I am still learning new things each week. I keep my excitement level up by learning more complex pieces.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/08/11 05:34 PM

Michael Taylor, the link in your post doesn't seem to go the the Faber Teacher's Guide you mention, and I can't find anything on the pianoadventures.com website that talks about what level follows Adult Book 2.

maduro, I have to correct what I said. The Piano Adventures website says that the BigTime level, which you say you're doing, corresponds to PA 4, not PA 3A/3B. So I agree with Michael Taylor that Adult Book 2 may not have much new material for you. On the other hand, you may find tidbits in there that you haven't seen before. You can always use it for sight-reading practice.

Regarding whether Adult Book 2 should really be followed by PA 3A, 3B, or 4: based on the chapter titles PA 4 would follow. But it may be that to truly master the 3A/3B material in Adult Book 2 you need more time with it, in which case PA 3A or 3B would be better to do next.

I tried asking this on the pianoadventures forums but got no reply for the Adult books. And I do seem to recall once seeing there (but can't find it again) something saying PA 4 was not always the best follow-on to Adult 2, and 3A or 3B would be better.
Posted by: Dio666

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/08/11 06:44 PM

Hello everybody!

I just started the Adult All-In-One Book 1 last night after unpacking and putting together my new Kawai CN43 digital piano. I taught myself to play keyboard as a kid, (I'm now 31), just playing melodies on the right hand and block chords on the left. I played trumpet all through highschool and guitar for the last ten years. My classic rock band just broke up so I decided to finally learn to properly play the piano, (without a teacher for now).

I'm solid on music theory and can read and play treble clef music pretty well, but learning to read bass clef and use my left hand independently is going to be my first big challenge.

In the couple hours I've been able to play, I got to page 53 or so in Book 1 but I'm going to hit a wall real soon as soon as the left hand stuff picks up.

Hopefully we can keep this thread going because I'm sure I'll need help as I get going over the coming weeks and months.

I too was curious about where to go after Adult Book 2, but I won't have to worry about that for a while...

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/08/11 06:59 PM

Sorry about the bad link. My iPad and I don't get along well some days! If you open the catalog (from the Faber website) and go to page 4. There is a nice diagram that shows how the adult piano adventures matches up with the Piano Adventure series. I guess I will be doing book 3. I will likely try to pick up the pace. I was really looking forward to book 4, but I guess it will be a little bit more time before I get there.

With so many Faber students here, there is no need for the CD's! Post some videos!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/08/11 09:22 PM

Welcome, Dio666! Looking forwad to hearing your progress and cheering you on.

Michael Taylor, thanks for pointing me to the Catalog/Teacher's Reference. I'll be interested to hear what you think of Level 3. I find the biggest challenge n the regular PA pieces to be the speed at which it's suggested to play them.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/09/11 12:16 AM

@PianoStudent.....do you find them too slow or too fast?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/09/11 11:30 AM

Too fast! I read the Teacher Guide/Catalog last night, and was intrigued by the information about level 3B and playing fast. In particular, new to me was that one of the goals in practicing slow is to practice the gestures that you'll need to play fast.

I adore the PA emphasis on gesture, and I wish my piano teacher did more of that with me. I'll ask her about it. Maybe I'm doing it all perfect already, laugh.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/09/11 11:41 AM

Aha, at last! A reply on the pianoadventures forum about what follows Adult Book 2:

Quote:
While I move Accelerated 2 "completers" into PA 3A, I move Adult 2 ones into 3B. I think 3A is too much of a repeat for them, yet 3B is good preparation for Level 4.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/09/11 01:23 PM

+1

I just bit the bullet on adult book two I am using this to replace thompson book three
and I am already curious how to follow
what you say makes sense going to 3b
I wouldnt mind doing that before going on to book 4
great compromise
Posted by: BeccaBb

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/09/11 05:48 PM

I just picked up the accelerated learning books for the "older" beginner. It's meant for teens but I liked its content better than Alfred or the adult books. I have book 1 and 2. I can play minimal songs with bh, but sight reading is a chore. So I'm on page 10 right now. Just clapping out rythms and trying to keep with it on the keyboard. I have no rythm at all. The quarter notes seem to tangle me up really bad for some reason. I'm also practicing other songs seperately so should be interesting.

Becca

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/09/11 06:03 PM

After today's lesson, I have decided that I am definitely moving to book 3 next. I just don't know if I should move to 3a or 3b. I have come to realize that my site reading ability still needs a lot of work.

I have played several pieces from the level 4 books (the Christmas pieces, and Canon in D, and Hungarian Dance) but it takes a good amount of practice to be able to play them fluidly. I have played a few pieces from the level 3 books such as (America The Beautiful) which I righteously bombed in my very first recital!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/09/11 07:29 PM

BeccaBb, the Accelerated sounds like a good choice. Good luck with your rhythm practice. Let us know how it goes.

Michael Taylor, if I were wanting to improve my reading, I would go with 3A to get really rock-solid at that level and to increase the amount of reading practice I'd have before ultimately getting to 4. Among other things, 3A introduces the Alberti bass pattern that you'll see in a lot of classical music, so it's a good source for practice in reading it.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/09/11 07:43 PM

Re-revising my thoughts: I'll check the overlap between pieces in the Adult Book 2 vs. 3A (and 3B) when I get home.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/09/11 08:05 PM

The All in One book 2 also introduces the Alberti bass. I don't mind the repetition, but I hope it's not the exact same pieces!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/09/11 10:00 PM

OK, the count is in.

Level 3A Lesson has 22 pieces, 12 of which appear in Adult 2, including most if not all of my favorites from 3A.

Level 3A Performance has 15 pieces, 1 of which appears in Adult 2.

Level 3B Lesson has 18 pieces, 5 1/2 of which appear in Adult 2. (The 1/2 is House of the Rising Sun, which is arranged in 3B and in lead sheet format in Adult 2.)

Level 3B Performance has 14 pieces, 1 of which appears in Adult 2.

The Technique and Artistry books give several more, slightly shorter, pieces, along with lots of exercises to practice the technique secrets for each level. One teacher I've read talks about these as the core of the PA method, with the Lesson and Performance books existing to provide practice with the good technique promoted in the T&A books.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/10/11 01:22 AM

Wow! Thanks for doing the research! Ok.....you've talked me into it.....I'll go to 3a next. But, I am going to work through it quickly! Same for 3b! The catalog has so many different books. While going through book 1, I had the lesson book, technique, and performance books. Which ones do you use? After finishing book one, my teacher assigned pieces from book 3. Then she moved to book 4. I thought we were moving too fast...eventually I switched teachers...due to my work schedule. My new teacher has me working on book my current book (#2)

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/10/11 01:55 AM

I'm confused... Book 1 Lesson, Technique and Performance? Is that the regular PA? I thought you were in (or finishing) Adult PA?

Anyway, I'm a fan of having those three books as the core of the method, plus some source for theory if you don't have theory knowledge already. How's your music theory? I think theory is really helpful for musicians, but there are lots of sources besides the PA Theory books.

AIUI the other books outside of those four (Technique, Lesson, Performance, Theory) are for supplementation for various reasons: for fun, or for performance, or for solidifying skills if needed by spending more time at a given level. Some teachers use a supplemental book of pieces of the student's choice from the Faber family of books instead of Performance.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/10/11 03:08 AM

I guess I left out some info! I initially started out with Piano Adventures for Older Beginners book 1. After completion (~9 months ago) I switched to the Adult All in One book 2. RE my theory.....(except for roughly 3 weeks of piano lessons as a kid) I'm a (42 year old) beginner!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/10/11 09:48 AM

Thank you Pianostudent! I will be working on rhythm again today and hopefully a few more pages in.

I know you guys are back and forth on what comes next after the adult books, so I have a question... Does it not say on the very last page, the inside of the back cover? The accerlated tells you what books accompany and what to move on to. Just curious if maybe it has the same "guide" there.

Becca

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/10/11 10:01 AM

lol
way to go
becca

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/10/11 10:08 AM

looks like Faber is taking over Alfred LOL. Faber books are great thumb

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/10/11 11:42 AM

joeb84, lol laugh.

BeccaBb, alas, the Adult books don't say where to continue.

Regarding rhythm, can you keep rhythm if you're not also trying to play the piano? For example, walking at a steady rate, large arm circles (count once for each circle, or once at the top and once at the bottom), clapping, tapping your foot, tapping on the fallboard, tapping or clapping to music on the radio? Can you keep time (still not playing) with straight quarters, so the problem only arises when mixing in half and whole notes? Or are straight quarters a challenge too?

I always thinks it helps to identify just where a problem is arising. It might just be certain types of rhythm, or rhythm when combined with playing music of a certain complexity, etc. For example, can you keep rhythm when playing a single note with one hand, one finger, but are challenged playing, say, two hands or changing notes?

Michael Taylor, that definitely sounds weird of your first teacher to switch straight from Accelerated for Older Beginners 1 straight into level 3, and then to hightail it into level 4 without fully absorbing level 3. The normal follow-on to Accelerated 1 (if not Accelerated 2) would be regular PA 2. That's where a rock-solid grasp of I, IV, V chords happens so you can play them in your sleep and react to them at sight. That way the extra challenges of the pieces in level 3 can be faced, but most of the chords (that are being combined in new ways, and more sophisticated RH parts) are individually easy.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/10/11 12:39 PM

Pooey that its not in the back. Would a comparison of the accerlated book 2 contents to the adult book 2 help? The accerlated 2 says to go to the regular 3A. So if the contents were similar couldn't it be the same or if more advanced for the adult then be 3B? Just tossing ideas....

I can keep rhythm when walking and tapping. I always lose the beat with music but can keep up with bass instead of drums.. (I have no idea why...) Quarter notes and I don't get along.. It actually seems to be the last one. 4/4 time I will lose it on the last note. This seems to be across the board. I either go way slow or too fast. I can't seem to keep it steady. 3/4 I can follow...

Applying all to the keyboard is an entirely different challege. I feel handicapped. LOL I have to concentrate to have any rhythm with the notes and it doesn't sound fluent at all. I hope this changes with practice?

Thanks for the questions, helps me to watch myself and apply these concepts all day long to other things.

Becca

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/10/11 12:47 PM

I just learned the first song in big time piano level 3a-3b

it is called song of India
I learned it in about two sittings
about 1/2 hour each.

I like playing songs at this level I dont have the patience to learn a song for a month

I am excited about getting my adult piano book 2 it is on the way

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/10/11 01:52 PM

Michael Taylor, if theory interests you, some teachers like Snell for theory for their older students. Of course there are websites too. I learned my fundamentals of theory from Edly's Music Theory For Practical People by Ed Roseman. Then I followed it up with a semester of college music theory, but going back I discover it was already in Edly! (Though in the college class I benefited from doing a lot of harmonic analysis exercises.). I find it enriches my understanding of what I'm playing immensely.

BeccaBb, might it help to break 4/4 down into 2 sets of 2 each: ONE two, Three four. Or even ONE two, One two for each measure.

maduro, congratulations! I think I have Song of India in one of my flute books. It's a pretty piece, if it's the same one. (Well, I'm sure it's pretty even if it's not the same one wink .)

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/11/11 01:56 AM

I just finished learning "Trumpet Concerto Theme" from the PA Adult Book 1 so tomorrow I start "The Entertainer". I just started a few days ago but my previous musical training from other instruments is helping me more than I expected and I've managed to get over three hours of practice time a day for the last few days.

Because I'm moving through this book so quickly, I stopped by the music store yesterday and bought two books for some supplementary practice. I bought the level 2A and 2B performance books (from the standard Piano Adventures). The level 2A is perfect for where I'm at right now so that should help solidify what I'm learning. They didn't have any of the Chord Time books in stock and the Show Time books looked too simple for where I am at.

I also bought the sheet music to "Imagine" by John Lennon, knowing it's beyond me right now. I figured I could plod through it slowly a little bit here and there when I feel like a break from PA. I got the intro down pretty quickly, but I find the right-hand part to be very difficult just because of the reach. I guess I have small hands. The left-hand part is surprisingly easy which is too bad because that's where I really need the practice.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/11/11 02:11 AM

Welcome aboard Dio! Sounds like you have the piano bug like the rest of us. Sometimes I think of these forums as AA meetings....."hello, my name is Michael and I am a piano-holic." My wife won't let me go to piano shops alone....she is afraid that I will come home with a new piano!

Just for grins, I decided to play Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer from the Faber BigTime Christmas book. Much to my surprise, I really like it! I will probably work on it for the next couple of days so that I can play it fluently. I'll try to get a recording on YouTube by next weekend.

I will be participating in my second recital tomorrow afternoon.....I'll be playing 3 pieces from the BigTime Christmas book: Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, Carol of the Bells, and Oh Holy Night. Had I know that I would like Rudolph so much, I would have thrown that in there somewhere!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/11/11 02:14 AM

@PianoStudent......I have considered taking a few music courses at a community college, but haven't invested the time to find a community college yet!

@Maduro.....congrats on your achievement! Don't fear the little red light......make a recording!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/11/11 01:09 PM

Michael Taylor, lucky you to have a performance opportunity!

I can't remember if I posted about it anywhere on ABF at the time, but last summer I was at a church-related retreat and for the closing service they asked me to play piano. Prelude a Bach Minuet in G minor, two hymns with melody and chord-root bass line, and postlude a Spindler Sonatina. I was completely elated.

Welcome Dio666! Sounds like you're making great progress. You could try improvising extra stuff for the Imagine LH. For example play the chord tones in succession instead of at the same time, or in blocked style (the bottom note alone, and then the top two notes together), or "Alberti bass": bottom, top, middle, top. Or as an arpeggio: bottom, middle, top, middle. Make up your own patterns. See what it sounds like if you add extra notes: 7th, 9th, 11th, etc.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/11/11 10:16 PM

Congrats on the new song Maduro! I could only wish I could learn a song that fast! smile

Hiya Dio!

Michael that sounds like lots of fun! I'm working on easy Christmas songs myself but would NOT play them for anyone at this point! LOL

Pianostudent: the 1/2 1/2 breakdown works FABULOUS! I can acutally count and play and not get completely messed up. So I've been doing that with everything and have managed to get another page done because of it. smile Now I'm applying the rhythm to all the songs I"m trying to learn. smile

So I've covered and/or am practicing rhythm, 2nds, 3rds, and 3 christmas songs at primer level.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/12/11 09:50 AM

I'm jealous of those of you who are working on Christmas songs. I would like to but I feel like it's a little late to get started since there are less than two weeks until Christmas. I'll wait until next October and buy a Christmas book at a level that suits me then.

So I started working through the songs in the standard PA performance book level 2A and found that it doesn't correlate well with the Adult PA Book 1. I'm most of the way through the Adult book 1, then playing through the 2A performance book I found that the music is simpler but is in a key that hasn't been introduced yet in the Adult book. I guess that just means that the Adult book is giving the student more difficult music after introducing a new concept or key which makes sense I guess. That may explain why there has been so much discussion as to where to go after Adult Book 2. So I bet your idea of going to 3A is a good one, Michael. Even though a lot of it will end up being review.
Posted by: CharlieFreak

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/12/11 02:20 PM

I did some hunting around on the PA website/forum and found that:

Adult Piano Adventures Book 1 = Primer and Level 1 of the 'child' version.
Adult Piano Adventures Book 2 = 2A and 2B.

After Adult Book 2, you should move to 3A of the child series. You can confirm this by downloading the '2011 Complete Catalog and Teacher's Desk Reference'. There is a link to the PDF on the very front page (lower left) of the Piano Adventures website.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/12/11 03:14 PM

Thank you, CharlieFreak. Which page of the catalog are you seeing the specific Adult 2 = regular 2A & 2B?

What makes it confusing is that the topics in Adult 2 include all the topics from 3A and 3B, and include several of the same pieces. And as Dio666 found, the songs in Performance 2A seem easier than the material near the end of Adult 1.

Accelerated 2 looks like a more near fit with 2A and 2B; at least, it doesn't repeat any of the pieces from 3A or 3B.
Posted by: CharlieFreak

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/12/11 09:26 PM

I remember reading that in the PA forums, PianoStudent88, but I haven't had much luck finding the post. I did find a post that talks about that exact issue you mention - that Adult book 2 touches on topics from 3A and 3B, however the chart on page 4 of the PDF states:

"After completing Adult Piano Adventures® Book 2,
students are ready for Level 3A of Piano Adventures®."

Hmm. The more I research this at the PA forums, it seems that some teachers are moving adult students into level 4 after they complete the adult book 2. Others suggest using 3B as a review before moving to 4.

So now I'm starting to wonder if I misunderstood what I thought I read, and that the above statement from the PDF might be an error?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/13/11 12:00 AM

Not to keep beating this dead horse.....but

My teacher told me the same thing.....about going to book 4 next. I can play the book 4 pieces, but it takes a little effort. I think it is more appropriate for me to work on book 3.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/13/11 05:13 PM

I just received adult piano 2 and I immediately opened it up

and began playing mocking bird
easy enough piece but I am going to make sure I dont repeat my mistake
with the thompson series
I am going to transpose these pieces as it the book asks you to do at the end of the piece
transposing is a requirement in church music for you have no idea what key a singer will start a song off in. and you dont want to play the song outside their range so it is customary to let them start the song and catch pick them up
unless you work out the key ahead of time which isnt always possible
ie funerals impromptu soloists walking through the door at the middle of a program

if you ever want to play in a church or back up singers
this is a necessary skill

and the only way to improve it is to use it

for me I use a movable do or numbered system to help me with transposing my skills are rusty though but this is exactly the level to brush up with.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/13/11 05:53 PM

Wow.....are you transposing songs from hymn books while you are playing? That sounds tough! I transpose the pieces in the book, but it takes a little concentration to keep my hands from playing exactly what's written. I usually do ok until I have to move my hand.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/13/11 06:33 PM

movable do is the key

you know do re me fa so la ti do

each scale has
do as its first degree

so now you you are looking at your notes as they fall in their respective do re me places

pick a book on sight singing and go through the exercises
or just sing do re me for whatever you are playing then change the key still singing the do re me

eventually it gets easier it definitely doesent come over night
but 12 weeks is not uncommon for you to begin to get a handle on it if you practice

try it with some written scales or really simple music like really early beginner music
this way your brain will have a chance to proces it

go to your first pieces in your primer book

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/14/11 10:09 AM

Michael,
I just checked out your youtube videos and they sound great! I love the Christmas songs. I hope I can handle the Faber Bigtime book by next October because those arrangements sound nice. You had better get Rudolph posted soon because Christmas is almost here.

I'll be starting the Faber Adult Book 2 next week. I just need to clean up the second-to-last song in Book 1, (I can't remember the title), and then learn Carnival of Venice.

Becca,
Way to go with the rhythms! Keep at it, it's worth it.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/14/11 12:47 PM

Way to go Dio! I bet your excited to be so close to the end of Book 1! Do we get a recital from book one? wink

Maduro: wow. LOL I am so lost in that post of yours. Transposing is way beyond me at the moment. So how do you like book 2 so far?

Michael Taylor & PianoStudent: So have you decided what book to move to next?

Thanks for the encouragement on the rhythms! I'm still on page 12&13. Exploring seconds and Exploring thirds. I'm applying the rhythm to both and playing both tunes in different c positions as it says. I noticed today that playing the furthest c to my right (I only have 61 keys remember) that I am having issues reaching with my lh, especially my thumb. Is there a trick to this? Do I shift my body over? Roll my hand? I also caught myself slouching today! I need someone to smack me with bamboo or something to stop that! I'm trying to pay attention to it but I get so absorbed in playing that I forget then I get sore. UGH.

For those of you without a teacher, how have you set up your practice each day? Actually and with a teacher!

Right now, I'm using a book for techniques, so I do 6 mini technical exercises. Then I work on my Faber book for about 15 mins or so, then I work on applying my knowledge to 3 Christmas songs that I hope to play on Christmas. I try to do this twice a day because I get fatigued quickly (mostly my horrible posture.) I want to get my scales I work on back in there but I'm so worn out right now I'm having difficulty with it.

Becca

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/14/11 01:27 PM

BeccaBb, I have the same puzzle about playing the LH high up on the keyboard. I'll try to remember to ask my teacher about it tonight.

I keep trying to get my teacher interested in teaching me from the PA books, but so far she's resistant. And I have enough other music to work on that (shhhhh, don't tell) I haven't been working in them lately. But when I _am_ working in them, I'm working on 3A. From the other music I've been working on I'm probably more like level 5, except that the speed of the PA pieces challenges me, so I'm not as solid on the level 3 and 4 skills as I should be.

For solidarity with this thread, I'd like to finish playing through Adult 1 and tackle Adult 2, too. I got up to The Entertainer on Adult 1 and it seemed distinctly harder than anything that came before. Did anyone else feel that way about The Entertainer?

I have a teacher, and she assigns me 4 technique pages a week, plus 2-4 pieces that I'll be working on at a time. I work on scales, technique, pieces, earplaying, in roughly that order. I'll add sight-reading soon -- I have some of the easier Denes Agay "Classics to Moderns" books on order to use for that. Then at the end sometimes I'll noodle around on things which are usually still far out of my reach (Chopin Preludes, anyone?). At some point I want to add arpeggios with the scales, but first I have to learn how to play multi-octave arpeggios in a relaxed way without hurting my wrist.

The technique and the pieces come from what we work on in lessons. The scales, earplaying, and sight-reading are my own additions.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/14/11 01:44 PM

On posture: Stott Pilates healed me of twenty years of sporadic back pain and taught me how to sit and move with effortless good form for my back. All this in less than 6 months. I highly recommend doing some classes if you have the opportunity. I have no commercial interest, just a very happy customer.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/14/11 02:38 PM

If you really want a recital, Becca, you'll find a link in my signature. There are four songs; three from Faber Adult Book 1 and a Beatles tune from an old EZ Play keyboard book I stole from my sister years ago for use with my guitar, (it just has chord names and the melody, no bass clef). And one of the songs from Book 1 is The Entertainer, PianoStudent. It didn't seem like a huge leap to me, but is was a step up in difficulty. Just be sure and learn the RH and LH parts well separately at first and then work on putting them together. And now that I've played it a hundred times it actually seems quite easy which you will hopefully find encouraging. I think I almost have it memorized at this point. If I didn't have a digital piano with headphones then my wife would have killed me by now.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/14/11 05:01 PM

Hi BeccaBb, as for practice routines this is what I usually do (when I'm more focused and not playing all these fun Christmas tunes!). I have a teacher and we usually follow this progression in the lesson as well (except of course this last month or so that I've been on a scales strike and doing Christmas songs instead!).

- One page from A Dozen A Day (by Edna-Mae Burnam). Sometimes there are 3 exercises sometimes 2. I'm in Book One of this series but I believe there is a preparatory book and I think they go up to book four. I find most of these I can get within the week but then I'll hit one that I struggle with and have to repeat for a couple of lessons. Usually I only do these for 5 or 10 minutes at the start of practice. Sometimes I go back to the beginning and do the whole book for a super warm-up or just to see that hey I'm getting smoother.

- Scales. I start with the scales I already know that I'm specifically learning for my exam. Hands together, 2 octaves. Then I'll do the new scale I'm learning (usually 1 per week). Hands separate, then hands together. About 15 minutes per day on this.

- Chords/Inversions. I'll play these hands together for 1 octave, and hands separate for 2 octaves. About 15 minutes per day on this.

- Sight Reading. I'm working through the Four Star series and currently I'm in book 4. There are very short exercises per day so this only takes a couple of minutes. Lately I've gone back to some of the level 2 and 3 Faber books I've got and used those for sight reading as well. They are more fun to work on and these make me feel I've made great progress in my reading (especially the bass part for the left hand where I really struggle).

- Ear Training. I'm supposed to do a few minutes a day and haven't been. Still at the very early levels trying to play back 5 note patterns within a scale. I've never really done much of this and struggle. If I can get my husband to play these for me I can get through a page of exercises very quickly.

- Repertoire. I'll start with the song that is giving me the most trouble. I'll play it through a few times, then go back to the tough spots and isolate what I need to and slow it way down and try to eliminate errors. Usually the longer the piece the more such spots there are so I'll do several of these in one sitting. Then slow everything down and play through again. I'll repeat this for each song I'm working on. I may spend about 15-20 minutes on each song in this fashion but it depends on where each one is at. If I'm at a point of memorizing anything I add a few minutes of that in as well. Usually only a few measures at a time or a phrase (which makes more sense to me)

- To wrap up practice I like to play through things I already know as it's a nice way to relax and feels good to end sounding somewhat musical, instead of broken up little bits of choppy parts of songs.

I used to get really tired too when I practiced but I believe it had alot to do with tension and bad posture. I really focused on this and still try to at the beginning of each practice. I also found if I make slight movements with my upper body such as moving in towards the keys or away from them slightly it seems to keep me more relaxed in my shoulders. Sometimes I find that I'm almost holding my breath or something strange and I have to stop myself and relax and breath!!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/15/11 12:49 AM

I practice for about 2 hours/day Mon-Fri. On Saturday/Sunday it depends on how much time I have available (when I get done taking random naps throughout the day!) I currently work through 1 chapter of the PA book each time I practice. I will play each piece in a given chapter 2-3 times. Sometimes, I turn back a chapter or 2 to play a few exercises that I struggled with.

I am currently on chapter 7 of the All in One book 2. The following pieces/exercises are in this chapter: Deck the Keys with Dotted Quarters, Kum Ba Yah, Theme from Scheherazade, In My Red Convertible, Dotted Quarter March, Dotted Quarter Arpeggios, and Auld Lang Syne. I will probably work on this chapter for another week or 2.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/15/11 02:07 AM

I'm almost done with Adult PA Book 1! The last song is Carnival of Venice and I have it down pretty well at a slow speed. I'll have a good chunk of time tomorrow for practicing so I should have it down solid tomorrow. I'll try and make a recording.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/15/11 06:06 AM

I am loving book 2 the pieces are a little too easy but that is great I can use them as simple sight reading exercises which you can never have too much of in addition because these early pieces are speaking about specific things like reading the coda or octaves
I can concentrate on one thing at a time and learn something new. I dont know all the musical terminology and there are things I have forgotten

also since they are so easy I find transposing them very manageble.
like i said before I am not going to skip this very valuable step again.
the book speaks about using the intervals to help you transpose I dont do it this way but I am going to take their advice and try it.

skipping to the end of the book I see that these pieces are really below my level but I really dont mind I am looking at this as an opportunity to catch anything i may have missed
basics are the key to mastery so I really did want to start at just below my grade level and then work past my current grade level with a good method book.

when I finish I will move on to book four in the childrens series

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/15/11 01:48 PM

I am also finishing adult PA book 1. My progress has slowed as the pieces have increased in difficulty. I am trying not to rush, as recommended by Mtaylor! I have worked on a few xmas pieces as well, but they are really above my level. I don't like spending a lot of time on something that I don't love. I want to play Blues piano, so my teacher selects on that basis. The only problem is that they tend to be a little too hard. I practice about 45 min a day 7 days a week, which everyone tells me is fine. I find I get bored with longer periods, but the problem may be not enough supplemental material. It sounds like you all play/practice with many more pieces. I have a "jazzy" sounding silent night in an easy arrangement, but it took so much time to learn it and the ending still isn't right that I am sick of it now. I think I will look for more books to play from.

as a side note. I listened to npr about an 85 yr old jazz who was "discovered" in a nursing home in Buffalo, NY. His story is amazing, as well as his playing. His name is Boyd dunlap and he is on itunes. Thought it would be interesting to this group.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/15/11 01:52 PM

I think most teachers supplement much material
even the thompson series
suggests other folios of music and etudes.

I would look at possibly buying some easy piano arrangements of whatever type of music you like to continue your journey

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/16/11 12:40 AM

For supplemental material you may want to check out the Faber PreTime to BigTime series. They have a Jazz & Blues book for every level.

I’m self-teaching and I bought the level 2A and 2B performance books from the standard piano adventures series for supplemental music and I’m not enjoying it as much as I thought I would because the music is so childish. So earlier today I ordered the first two Developing Artist books, (Prep. Piano Lit. and Piano Lit. Book 1). I’ll see how it goes when they arrive. I’m not sure if they’ll be too advanced for me. Right now I’m about 22 pages into Adult Piano Adventures Book 2.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/16/11 11:35 AM

Thanks for the replies to how you guys practice. It gives me some better ideas and lets me know I'm on the right track. I also have Edna Mae's A Dozen a Day. However mine is the mini-book, it is the one before the Prepartory book. It was published in the 1960's! LOL I found it at a used book store.

I focused on my posture yesterday as much as I could. I caught myself a few times starting to slouch, but overall I felt less fatigued so I'm hoping that I'll start to be more self-aware and catch that more often. I have a cd on yoga and a few books and even the matts for it but until after Christmas I can't even begin to set that up. Company will be taking up my exercising spot! LOL

I've started to time myself during practice to see how long I'm actually there. I'm going to try to use that to slowly increase my time at the keyboard each sitting.

Yesterday was the first day that I was able to play through Jingle Bells with bh and it actually sounded correct! Yay! I'm making progress! I was very happy with that.

As for supplemental material, I used the internet to find appropriate ranged songs, and the used book store has all sorts of stuff in there too. I also know that I'm getting a pile of piano related items for Christmas and more music was on that list too. So I should have enough to last me the next few years! LOL.. I would be very bored without adding on. I need that extra music to drive me forward. I work on the method book to apply what I'm learning to my extra songs.

Dio: I listened to your pieces in your signature. They are very nice. I'm gonna have to look into doing something like that. What a great way to follow your own progress!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/18/11 01:16 AM

Way to go on Jingle Bells, Becca. And just in time for Christmas! Thanks for listening to my recordings. Let me know if you decide to record your work and I'll check it out.

Well I think I may have hit the point I've been dreading, where my previous musical experience on other instruments is no longer carrying me through. I don't think any songs in the Adult Book 1 took me more than an hour or so to learn. Now I'm working on "Allegro in F Major" on page 34 of Book 2 and it's taken me probably four hours to get down. And even then, the tempo on the eighth-note runs on the left hand is not always perfectly steady.

The last recording I attempted a few minutes ago was almost satisfactory except the tempo on one of those runs wavers a bit. So I'm not sure if I should just post the recording to my soundcloud account and move on to the next page of the book, or if I should get it down perfect before moving on. Part of me wants to move on and assumes my left hand timing will fix itself with more experience, but the perfectionist in me wants to get it perfect. And I'm self-teaching so I don't have a teacher to kick my butt. I guess I'll work on it some more tomorrow and then decide.

So how "perfect" do you guys get your songs before moving on in the book? You can check out a few of my Book 1 songs in the link in my signature if you want to see at what point I call it good and turn the page, (the Beatles song is not from Faber but the rest are). I don't want to short change myself by moving on too soon, but I also don't want to waste time making things perfect if the imperfections are things that will take care of themselves over time. I guess that's why most people say to get a teacher...

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/18/11 02:44 AM

@666......you seem to be doing well. I move on when I don't feel challenged by the piece. The beginner pieces are so short and simple, they are easy to memorize. I move on when I start playing simple pieces from memory. I figure that once I am playing from memory, I am not learning anything.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/18/11 10:21 AM

My teacher says its ok to move on even if it's not perfected, but to make sure it's not because you are rushing. Also, it's imperative to move on if you are bored or frustrated. good luck!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/18/11 12:11 PM

Okay, thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm ready to move on from this one then. And I tried playing it again this morning and the timing on the runs went much better. I think my arms were fatigued last night and good night's sleep helped, so I recorded it and posted it to the site in my signature if anyone wants to give it a listen.

To reward myself before moving on to the next challenge in Adult Book 2, I learned couple easy pieces from the 2A performance book which were easy but fun. One was a duet so I recorded the first part and overdubbed the second. So as much as I would love to have an acoustic piano, the digital does have its advantages, (the duet is also posted in my sig).

Thanks again,
Posted by: Marie50

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/19/11 12:30 PM

Hi.
I just registered with the forum. I was so happy to see a Faber's group. I have been playing around on the piano with Alfred's Adult All-In-One for awhile now. But, heard that Faber's is better. I just picked up the Adult Piano Adventures and am really looking forward to playing with it. I already notice a difference in playing all over the keyboard instead of staying in one location. There is so much to learn and I do not have a teacher. I feel like I have already picked up a lot of valuable info from reading you posts. So, thanks everyone, keep it coming.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/19/11 02:31 PM

Welcome aboard Marie! Which Faber book are you working on?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/19/11 02:35 PM

Welcome Marie50! Does the Alfred book not move across the keyboard?

Well I'm doing good. Still perfecting jingle bells. It seems to get smoother everyday so that's a good thing. I have dropped the one Christmas song (We Wish You a Merry Christmas) due to the 8th notes. I'm just not far enough along to keep the rhythm going with those thrown in. So I'm leaving it for now and when I get to 8th notes in Faber, I will ressurect it then. I'm just happy I figured out what my issue was with that song. I was getting quite frustrated.

I hadn't realized how far along in the book I was. I'm on page 17 already! I work from page ten to where I'm at right now daily and I'm rather happy with my progress both on working from one end of my keyboard to the other and with my rhythm (which is getting easier to count and keep time every practice.)

I stop and move on when I'm also not being challenged. When my fingering, rhythm and overall smoothness leaves me with nothing to work towards then I move that song/piece into warm-up for the day and move the next item into "practice." LOL not that I've had much to move into that category yet!

I do find that there are things I wish I had a teacher for (such as when to move forward or how to move/not move to access keys on far end.) However I am happy with designing my own "lessons" and the fact that I really can't afford a teacher. smile

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/19/11 03:36 PM

Marie50 and Becca, comparing Alfred and Faber adult books - there are things I like about Faber. The music sounds nicer. I like the way they ask you what fingers you are going to start on for each piece. And I like how they ask you to transpose to another key. But, honestly, as a self teacher, I found Alfred easier to follow. I think it's instructions are much clearer. But both methods are pretty good and will eventually teach you what you need to know.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/19/11 05:56 PM

Thank you all for the welcome.
In Alfred's I got as far as Michael Row Your Boat Ashore; almost 2/3 though the book.
I just started Faber's Book 1. It is relearnig some material, but there is also new things in there too, like transposing. I never knew what that was. Faber's is taking a bit more concentration, the approach is a little different.
Alfred's was pretty easy to follow.
I will probably go back and forth between the 2.
I may try to work with a teacher for a little while for some face to face guidance.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/19/11 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Marie50
Thank you all for the welcome.
In Alfred's I got as far as Michael Row Your Boat Ashore; almost 2/3 though the book.
I just started Faber's Book 1. It is relearnig some material, but there is also new things in there too, like transposing. I never knew what that was. Faber's is taking a bit more concentration, the approach is a little different.
Alfred's was pretty easy to follow.
I will probably go back and forth between the 2.
I may try to work with a teacher for a little while for some face to face guidance.

You should... Books can't teach one how to play with feeling and certain elements that need to be learnt from another person personally.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/20/11 05:23 PM

Ugh really sucky piano day. I think I'm just too distracted or busy. Way too much to do and was thrown off my routine by unexpected long distance calls. Practice was horrid. Cut it short at 20 mins and try again tomorrow.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/20/11 07:06 PM

Hi BeccaBb at least you got 20 minutes in! Today I got zero time and only about 15 minutes yesterday and zero all weekend! Yesterday I had my last lesson for the year and I was a bit sad cause I felt so disconnected from everything I was doing! As you say there are just too many Things to get Done before Santa comes!! And with two boys aged 5 and 7 we better be ready!!

I am hoping after the big day I can get in tons of
Time at the piano. It will be a welcome break from all the malls!

Wishing you the best through the holidays and tons of play time!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/20/11 10:49 PM

Thanks Zoe! I was feeling very very frustrated. Just one of those days where nothing goes right. A little nap with my boyfriend and reading your post I feel better.

Good lord ages 5 and 7 are a handful! I don't know how you get ANY time at the piano! lol... mine are now 19 and 16 so I have much more freedom and they both help critique and encourage me.

I hope you get lots of quiet time over the holidays too! Merry Christmas Zoe. smile

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/22/11 01:16 PM

As I think I mentioned in an earlier post, I was not too happy with the 2A and 2B performance books for use as supplemental material to the Faber adult books because the songs were a bit too childish for my taste, (I'm a little ways into Adult Book 2 right now). So I ordered and just received last night the Faber Developing Artist Prep Piano Lit. and Piano Lit. Book 1.

When I first looked at the music in the Prep Lit. book I thought it would be too easy, and playing the LH and RH parts separately was easy. But putting them together was a real challenge! After playing the first few songs and listening to the CDs for both, I think I'm going to be really happy with them.

Most of the songs are probably available in the public domain, but coming from Faber these have the formatting I'm used to along with finger numbering on tricky areas, and the CD will be a huge help in hearing what the song is supposed to sound like.

A student would probably be able to tackle the Preparatory Literature book after getting half-way through the Adult Book 1, but like I said, putting the left and right parts together is the challenge.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/22/11 01:20 PM

Dio666, I'm glad the Developing Artist books are meeting your needs. An additional nice thing about getting books is that all the music has been selected already; no need to hunt around trying to find pieces at the right level.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/22/11 01:35 PM

That is good news Dio. I know I have some performance books headed my way but I'm not nearly as advanced as the rest of you guys on here. LOL Can't wait for Christmas this year. smile

I'm up to page 19 already. Man it's wizzing by. I don't have a pedal yet for my keyboard though.. so I had to skip the pedaling part of the lessons and will have to return to that when I get a pedal. (It had to be ordered.) I also asked a question about why I'm using particular fingering in the teachers corner.

How is everyone else holding up so far?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/23/11 07:15 PM

Hi, everyone. I am meeting with a teacher for my first piano lesson on Monday, 12/26. I am excited, but a little nervous too. I haven't played in front of anyone before. Any suggestions? What should I be prepared to play? Not sure what to expect.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/24/11 03:19 AM

Marie....good luck with your teacher. I believe that having a good teacher will add structure to your practice and improve your technique. I recommend that you bring the material that you have been using. Don't be surprise if your teacher has you take a few steps backward.

I am still learning a few Christmas pieces. I have Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer at a playable level. I have already started making a few "tweaks." I started playing Jesu, Joy of Mans Desire tonight......it's not performance ready yet!

Merry Christmas!
Posted by: Melody101

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/25/11 12:46 AM

I have both Alfred Adult books (didn't finish book 1) and Farber Adult Piano Adventure books (finished both), and I prefer Farber. The songs are much prettier, and I personally find the instructions and explanations in Farber much clearer. I enjoyed almost all the songs in Farber, but only a few in Alfred. I wanted to pick up other books in the Farber series, but my teacher said that the pieces are too watered down and prefer that I start playing "original songs." He recommended the Bastien Piano Literature. I am at vol. 1, and some songs are much more difficult than others. Good luck -- you will enjoy the Farber books!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/25/11 06:55 AM

I am really looking forward to the lessons, but also fighting the insecure feelings of being such an total beginner. Never too late, never too late, never too late.

Michael...
I love the song Jesu, Joy of Man's Desire. It is such a beautiful piece. The best of luck with it!!! Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/25/11 09:02 AM

I love "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desire" also. I played a really easy version when I first started, and would like to learn an intermediate version now.

Yesterday I finally nailed "Carol of the Bells" from the Faber Christmas for All Times - that's the good part. The bad part is that by the time I could play it and get the LH and the pedalling down perfectly, I was really, really sick of it. LOL I may not ever want to play it again. Next year "O, Holy Night" will be at the top of my Christmas music list.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/25/11 12:06 PM

Merry Christmas everybody! I have really come to love the Faber arrangements. When I first started with my teacher she recommended them to me and I'm so glad. I have several of the level 2,3, and 4 Big Time series. My favorite of all is the Christmas book. I worked on 5 of them this last few weeks and finally posted the last of them last night in the holiday performances thread.

I didn't get sick of any of them but was challenged by the pedal in the First Noel so recorded it without pedal. The hardest to get a clean recording of was Carol of the Bells. I had to slow it down quite a bit. And Jesu, Joy of Mans Desiring I think I overplayed it. I just recorded it 2 days ago but think I was playing it nicer a week or so ago. My teacher says to be careful of over playing things as they may become messy/sloppy. Oh well I know better now. What I really like about this series is that each song taught me something new and was fun to play.

I use the level 2 books for site reading practice as they are more fun to do. And I'm finding I didn't need much time to bring these up to speed. The level 4 took a bit longer. I wish there was a level 5 Big Time series!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/25/11 12:32 PM

Merry Christmas to all Piano Adventurers!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/25/11 02:08 PM

@zoe.....I think there is a level 5.

Merry Christmas!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/25/11 03:20 PM

Yes, there is a Level 5 of supplemental music. It's called AdvanceTime.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/29/11 01:28 AM

Just to check in, fellow Faberites; I'm working on Swing Low, Sweet Chariot in the Faber Adult Book 2. I was really struggling with it for quite a while then it suddenly came together. That's happened to me several times and I can only guess it has to do with the muscle memory kicking in. I think I'll have the song down with a couple hours more practice.

I'm also almost through with the Faber Developing Artist Prep. Literature book. I love this book and look forward to starting the next one. It sounds like real music! You can hear me playing a few of the songs if you click on the link in my sig, although it probably won't be clear which songs are from the method book and which are from the Prep. Lit. book unless you look at the table of contents from one of them.

I hope you all enjoyed the holidays,

Dio

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/29/11 03:22 AM

I've blown the dust off a 3a performance book. I'm going to play every piece in the book. So far so good.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/31/11 01:36 AM

Just checking in also.. I'm plugging away on the same things right now.. busy with family for Xmas yet.. Hope eveyone is doing well and Happy Holidays!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/02/12 01:28 AM

I learned two key things today.....first....by moving my upright piano about 2 inches further away from the wall, it sounds much better! As long as I have lurked around this forum, you would think that I would have tried this months ago, but I didn't think it would make a big difference.....besides, I thought it would be painful to try to move my pain....it wasn't.

After the "BIG" move, I pulled out my PA book and started looking for something to play....I settled on Song to Joy (Ode to Joy.) It is written in lead sheet format using C, Am, G, E chords. I experimented with using octaves instead of chords. I also tried using C-G-C instead of a C-E-G. I like the result! I could have sat at the piano for a few hours tinkering with that one.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/03/12 12:10 AM

Congrats on the improved sound, Michael. You think it wasn't painful moving your piano? Wait another day and tell us how your back feels. smile

I just did that Song of Joy tune recently. I was just happy to be able to play it as written. Maybe in another year I'll come back and try playing around with it.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/03/12 03:51 AM

I survived the move! Piano still sounds great! I put another 30 minutes into Song of Joy. I will be experimenting more changing chords. My music teacher had initially recommended that I keep my left hand in one spot to play the C, Am, E, and G chord using inverted chords. I found that the piece sounds better by moving the chords up and down the piano to compliment the melody. It's not hard, give it a try!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/03/12 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
Yes, there is a Level 5 of supplemental music. It's called AdvanceTime.

Hi and thanks for the heads up. I went into our local music store to check this out. However, I didn't get this book because I noticed another series from Faber and Faber. It is called The Developing Artis Library.

In this there is the PIano Literature Series with 4 books from Elementary to Late Intermediate.

There is also the Piano Sonatina Series with 4 books ranging from Early Intermediate to Early advanced.

I was excited to see more things from Faber. I ended up getting the Piano Literature Book 4. It came with a CD and I enjoyed listening to all the pieces. I've picked some favorites and waiting until I see my teacher to she what she thinks about starting one from this book while I continue to prep for my exam. These pieces will be a stretch for me but I am motivated to have a good challenge (especially after watching fellow forum member (candlelightpiano) self learn a very difficult piece! After having so much fun with the level 4 Christmas book I have been having trouble concentrating on what I should. I'm hoping a good challenge piece will keep me motivated and prevent me from jumping around between songs too much. (which I have been doing alot of lately!)

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/03/12 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Michael Taylor
I learned two key things today.....first....by moving my upright piano about 2 inches further away from the wall, it sounds much better!

Hi Michael, my brother has been telling me to do this for a long time (and I haven't!). If he had his way I'd probably have the piano in the middle of the room (haha). But maybe after reading your experience I'll have to give it a try. Of course if I ask him to move it for me then he can say "see I told you so!)

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/03/12 03:36 PM

I'm glad your piano didn't break your back Michael!

I just recorded and posted Scenic Train Ride from Faber in the piano bar! EEEP! Hopefully that will give me some good hints. Practiced a lot today just trying to do the video! LOL

I think I'm going to try to find the theory and technique books that go with these. Might help and possibly a performance book also.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/09/12 12:21 PM

I found the theory, technique books for primer level for the regular Faber (kids series) and the Performance for level 1 again the kids series. So I grabbed them. They aren't bad. I just ignore all the little cartoon drawings and they are actually helping. The technique one is invaluable for me as I switch to my acoustic. I feel like I'm starting from scratch again. LOL

How you guys doing?
Posted by: Lyn in AZ

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/09/12 02:27 PM

I'm self teaching and picked up F & F Chordtime Jazz and Blues Level 2B at the used book store. I like it very much - I'm currently working towards the end of Alfreds Adult Basic Level 1 - and don't want to jump into level 2 to quickly. As F & F and Alfred's seem to compliment each other I've been thinking of ordering the Funtime Jazz and Blues Level 3. Since I'm not really all that familiar with F & F is there a big jump from Level 2b to 3?
Thanks

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/10/12 08:41 AM

Lyn in AZ, I don't know about a big jump, but I think it's true that the 3A music takes the concepts you've learned through level 2B and puts them together in more challenging ways. As well as adding more concepts, of course. I would wait until you've finished the Chordtime book before starting on Funtime. No reason not to order it and take a peek, though!

In response to BeccaBb's question about how we're doing: I need to sit down with my 3A and 3B books and work out a schedule to meet my goal of playing all the music in them this year.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/10/12 01:41 PM

Thanks PS88
for the good advice!
I do have Funtime on my wishlist at Amazon.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/11/12 10:05 AM

Well I just finished learning Hava Nagila in the Adult Book 2 which was more challenging than I expected. I've decided to take a short break from the lesson book and finish up the Developing Artist Prep. Piano Literature book and learn a few tunes from the 2A and 2B performance books.

I have one song left to learn in the Prep. Piano Lit. book and it's a teacher-student duet. I want to record both parts together so I started tackling the teacher part which is very difficult for me, (because of course it's not meant to be played by the student at this level). But I'm going to try and learn it anyways. One beat at a time...

Dio

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/12/12 02:40 PM

I just heard two songs from the Piano Adventures Level 5 Popular Repertoire book. These arrangements sound great! I can't wait until I get to this level, (hopefully it will be before I die) smile

Youtube - Take Five
Youtube - Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/16/12 01:41 PM

Hiya Lynn in AZ, welcome to the Faber thread. smile

Dio hows the teacher duet part going? Your mighty brave doing that.. lol I just glance at those sections and shudder. LOL

I just interviewed a piano teacher. I get my first lesson on Wednesday. He's going to help me learn out of the Faber books! I am very excited. I've never had music lessons before. smile He's very relaxed and flexible. My dog likes him alot. Makes me feel very relaxed. He will be coming to my home to teach me for half hour once a week. I need to practice! I have to run through all my material at the first lesson so he can see what I need help with. Eeek!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/17/12 10:06 AM

Hey, Becca, that's cool that you're taking lessons. Let us know how it goes with your teacher. I took guitar lessons for a little while a few years ago, but that was before I had three kids. Now I can only practice very early in the morning or late at night, so lessons are out of the question for now.

When I first started taking on the teacher part of the duet, I thought I might be getting in over my head. By I just took it one measure at a time and now I've got it down pretty well. I'll make a recording soon and post it.

Now stop reading the piano forum and start practicing, Becca!

Dio

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/19/12 08:04 AM

So I learned both the student and teacher part to the duet, "Ponies", from the Faber Developing Artist Series Preparatory Piano Literature book. The teacher part was very difficult for me because it is not meant to be played by a student at my level, but I took it one note at a time and eventually got it down. It's also at a very fast tempo. This has given me some confidence, proving to myself that I can learn difficult material if I stick to it. You can hear a recording I made last night if you click on the Sound Cloud link in my signature. For those of you at a more advanced level than me, feel free to laugh at my talk about how difficult this was. smile

I think I'm going to learn a few pieces from the Faber 2B performance book and then I'll get back to the Faber Adult All-In-One Book 2, (I'm somewhere in the middle of it right now).

Dio

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/19/12 12:51 PM

Congrats Dio! Very impressive. I enjoyed listening to it. smile Now you have me wondering if that might be possible later down the road!

My teacher cancelled our first lesson as he was ill. Hope he feels better soon. I finally figured out the 3/4 rhythm on a Minuet. Man those are evil! LOL So I moved that piece into the "polish" section and went to the next page! I'm one page away from Unit 4. Seems like I'm just flying through it!

Off to practice!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/23/12 03:16 PM

I had my first lesson today. It went really well. I played the minuet for him and that one got assigned as homework to work on my rhythm, counting and dynamics. smile I was also assigned 3 new pieces to learn and concentrated on rhythm and accurate note learning from the level 1 performance book! It's a big jump in note reading skills but I knew most of it. (I read way ahead lol) I performed the 500 year old melody from the same book and it got the thumbs up! That piece is done! (it's my pick for the recital. )

I think he's a very nice fit for me. I still learn most of the stuff on my own, but he's going to help me pace myself (with more challenging peices and reworking where I have problems.) I really like having the teacher work on Faber with me.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/23/12 04:13 PM

BeccaBb, that's great news!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/28/12 05:19 PM

I've improved in the last nine months! Last April, I worked through the first three chapters of Piano Adventures 3A. I found it really hard to play the pieces up to the suggested tempos. Now I'm starting from the beginning of 3A again, for my project of completing 3A and 3B this year. And, hooray! I find it quite doable to play the pieces at the suggested tempos. Plus in one piece there was a fingering that I found quite difficult. Now it's the natural and easy fingering I use, even without looking at the suggested finger numbers.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/29/12 09:24 PM

Sometimes the fingering suggestions aren't the best. My former teacher encouraged me to write my own notations in my books. Her thought was to play it the way it was most comfortable for me. Hopefully I can get through the level 3 books this year, but it will be a bit of a stretch.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/30/12 02:57 PM

That is awesome PS! I can't imagine the feeling!

Michael are you trying to do both 3A and 3B this year?

How long does each book take (on average?) Just curious since I'm not book one.

smile Well checking in. Had my second lesson. Did a bit of theory and have lots of songs for homework. That bloody Minuet in the lesson book is haunting me! Can't seem to get the timing down. Arggggg! I will get there! Got a metoronome so my teach incorperated it into my lessons and homework. I have real bad timing issues. LOL All is well though. smile

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/30/12 03:37 PM

Michael Taylor, I don't know quite how I distinguish, but sometimes fingerings seem truly off the wall, and then I change them. Other times they're just hard for me, but it's a good fingering and any other fingering would be worse and even harder. So far I've found the PA fingerings to be reasonable.

BeccaBb, I don't know how long a book takes on average. I've seen teachers cite about a year per book. This is for younger students. I don't know how it translates to adults. I'm not learning the PA material from scratch: it's more a matter of just learning the pieces. My plan for 3A and 3B is to complete 4 pages per week (plus Theory and Technique); this leaves several weeks spare at the end in case I slow down as the pieces get harder.

How is working with the metronome going?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/31/12 01:06 PM

I can keep the beat with the metronome for one measure, maybe. LOL That thing is evil. I'm Mrs. Super Speedy so I'm using it to slow myself down... it's helping that way. I think it might take awhile to get used to it.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 01/31/12 02:49 PM

The metronome is not evil, Becca, in fact it's quite the opposite. It's like a friend that is such a good friend it will tell you when you're getting fat. At first it feels like an insult, but then you realize it's because it cares. (Okay, that was a dumb analogy, sorry).

The metronome for me is essential. When I learn a new piece I first get it under my fingers, then I play it with the metronome at a slow tempo and gradually increase it until it's up to speed. The metronome immediately shows me when I have a problem. There can be a note or chord change that I don't even realize I am hesitating on until I play it with the metronome, so then I stop and work on it.

Even for pieces that are supposed to have variable timing, I first get it down with the metronome, and that way when I speed up or slow down for artistic purposes, it is deliberate and not just because I don't know any better.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 02/10/12 02:23 PM

How you all doing?

Work on the metronome is starting to get a bit easier using the scales.

I'm finally done with the minuet! *wipes sweat off brow* I'm now learning a simplified Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and other peices.

I have a question sorta. I know I should bring this up with my teacher but I'm really not ready to yet. I am almost at learning 8th notes (which will requrie lots of work.) However after that the next new thing I will learn is Musical form on page 66. I'm currently on page 32! My teacher and I picked songs that filled in all that information in between so I learned by proxy and him. So even though I need practice with ever increasingly hard songs I'm already working out of two level one books. With your guys experience on this, would you ask about jumping up to that point in the lesson book after working on 8th notes or would you just work through it all anyways?

Now I don't mind working through it all in the least. The more practice I get the better. And I do need to work on my sight reading which working through it all will do. So would you ask your teacher about it or not?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 02/10/12 02:42 PM

Congratulations on the Minuet, BeccaBb, and on your progress with the metronome!

I would work through it all in order to get the experience reading and playing.

If you can play them easily, then you'll get through them quickly. If they take more work, then you needed the practice.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 02/10/12 06:00 PM

Very good point! I didn't think of that. Okay not even going to bring it up. Thanks so much. Just one of those silly things you have pinging about your brain you know? Just kinda wanted to shut that idea up. lol

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 02/11/12 02:05 AM

Quote:
If you can play them easily, then you'll get through them quickly. If they take more work, then you needed the practice.

That is a great quote, 88! I'm going to remember that the next time I turn a page in my lesson book and groan at the song I'm supposed to learn next. Although with these Faber books, I usually groan when I turn the next page and find a tired old song, and then I love the arrangement once I play it.

It sounds like the teacher is working out well for you, Becca! That's great! Keep us updated.

Quick update on my progress: I finished the Developing Artist Preparatory Piano Literature book and have completed the first three pieces in the Piano Lit. Book 1. I'm 3/4 of the way through the Adult Book 2 and I'm working on my first non-Faber piece right now. It's "The Living Years", a pop song from the late eighties. It's a Dan Coates arrangement from and easy piano book, (which doesn't feel very easy at this point). It's taken me a week, but I've almost got it so now I need to get back to my Faber lesson book.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 02/11/12 01:28 PM

Congrats on finishing the Developing Artist! Your first outside Faber piece! smile How long have you worked to get to that point?

Fabulous progress!

Yes my teacher is working out really great. He's also teaching my son violin, so we are starting to get to know him rather well. I really enjoy his guidance. He's just a really great guy to work with!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 02/14/12 02:30 PM

Becca,
Well the short answer is I've worked for two months to get here. The more accurate answer is that I've worked for twenty years and two months. I played the trumpet for nine years and the guitar for eleven after that. So the piano is new to me but making music is not. Book one went really fast because I knew all the theory and how to read music, (although I'm pretty weak on reading bass clef). So now that I'm most of the way through Adult Book 2, I'm slowing down to a more "normal" speed because the piano technique is a much bigger deal than understanding theory or being able to read music at this point. I'm hoping to start book 3A this summer.

That's awesome that your son is learning violin. What a cool instrument. My oldest is four and I just bought her the Faber "My First Piano Adventure" so I'm hoping to start her on that soon. I'm really hoping my kids get into music. I don't want to push too hard though. My wife was forced into piano lessons as a kid and has had no desire to make music since.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 03/10/12 04:48 PM

Level 3A Performance, lesson 3, Hot Summer Blues. There's a not-too-hard teacher duet part, so I recorded it so I can play along with it. Fun!

There's a duet piece in the Developing Artists repertoire book I'm working out of too (Piano Literature level 3), so now I can look forward to playing that in iPhone duet with myself when I get to it.

In non-duet news, I really like the arrangement of Amazing Grace in level 3A. It has a satisfying harmony, and all the triplet decorations with which I'm used to singing the tune.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 03/11/12 12:22 AM

PianoStudent88,
I should be there in a couple of months, I'm nearing the end of Adult Book 2. I usually learn the teacher duet parts, too. Some of them are challenging, the one for Ponies in the Prep. Piano Literature book almost killed me, but they make for neat sounding recordings. And I'm always impressed with the arrangements in these Faber books.

I've been stagnating on the Faber stuff lately because I've been working on other pieces. I learned "In Dreams" from the Lord of the Rings Soundtrack easy piano book, (which is not that easy for me). I learned an easy piano version of The Living Years, and now I'm working on Chopin's Prelude No. 4 in E Minor which is arguably his easiest piece, but still quite a challenge for me. It's coming along nicely though. I've also started Clair de Lune from the Piano from Scratch website which is really cool. The instructor teaches the song one measure at a time, and assumes you have no prior experience on the piano. It's going to take me a couple of years, but it's a lot of fun and I have the first eight bars or so down.

So I need to make more time to finish Adult Book 2 and to continue on the Developing Artist Piano Lit. Book 1. Now that this thread has been resurrected, maybe I'll be motivated to get back to my Faber books.

I hope you are all doing well and let's keep the Faber thread alive!
Posted by: Wish4 Thing

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 03/11/12 10:53 AM

Is there any website I can download the MIDIs for the "Accelerated Piano Adventures for the older beginner lesson book, book 2"? Thanks!

Wow... Dio666, I'm listening to your recordings, that's quite an achievement for only 3 months into learning piano... very smooth and soothing MUSIC!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/16/12 04:53 PM

Is anyone still working on this?

I'm still in book one, but supplementing with learning Moonlight Sonata (umm.. not sure what level.) It's slow going but I'm having fun. I'm working on Oh Susuzanna and Ode to Joy.

How is everyone else?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/16/12 05:07 PM

Methodically working my way through 3A, at 4 pages a week (plus Technique & Artistry). Sometimes I think I could go faster, but I think it's better to make myself be thorough. If I let myself go faster I think I'd be too tempted to cut corners sometimes.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/17/12 12:21 AM

I've been slacking. I started working on a couple of Joplin pieces. I'm almost finished with Weeping Willow. I'm still planning to finish going through at least 3a and hopefully 3b this year.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/17/12 12:00 PM

LOL seems the last month or so we are all slacking! I will be very happy when I catch up to you guys! smile

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/17/12 12:03 PM

Michael Taylor, where are you up to in 3A?
Posted by: ragtimefordrones

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/17/12 05:57 PM

Hello fellow classmates!

I'm new to this method book series but am starting with the Accelerated PA Book 2 for revision.

Good luck to everyone and honestly people, start posting some of your renditions! laugh

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/17/12 06:11 PM

I haven't touched it in a while! I'm going to jump back into the books this week. I have played several pieces from the 3a Performance Book.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/17/12 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: ragtimefordrones

I'm new to this method book series but am starting with the Accelerated PA Book 2 for revision.

ha I just started reading this book (lesson book) last night...

I got a question on page 9: How should I play the red circled measure? is it the same as:

right hand: 1/8 note, 1/4 rest, 1/8 note
left hand: 1/8 rest, 1/8 note, 1/8 note, 1/8 rest?

Thanks for any pointers!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/17/12 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Wish4 Thing
I got a question on page 9: How should I play the red circled measure? is it the same as:

left hand: 1/8 note, 1/4 rest, 1/8 note
right hand: 1/8 rest, 1/8 note, 1/8 note, 1/8 rest?

I think you confused your left and right but other than that yes! I think that is the general idea! laugh

Don't forget the stylistic indication, though. keep your wrists light and play the notes evenly wink

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/17/12 07:07 PM

I think you confused your left and right but other than that yes! I think that is the general idea! laugh

Don't forget the stylistic indication, though. keep your wrists light and play the notes evenly wink

oops... thanks for correction! it's been a long day wink

Anyway, that notation doesn't look very clear to me... is it common?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/17/12 08:10 PM

Not terribly common, but not entirely uncommon. It's expressing a single figure of four eighth notes divided between two hands. You will find this and other kind of indications at times that go outside the typical realm of treble clef RH notes and, completely separate, bass clef LH notes.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/17/12 08:20 PM

I think it was used in this case to make reading easier, but nevertheless I find it strange to just beam all the 1/8 notes together.

Great for sight reading at tempo though.
Posted by: LizAnne

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/17/12 09:47 PM

I'm in the middle of Adult Piano Adventures book 1. I plan to advance quickly (ha!), but it's good to know y'all are here if get stumped by Faber.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/17/12 10:20 PM

Welcome everyone!

I'm in Accelerated 1 for the moment. (being swtiched soon by my teacher...)

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/18/12 12:23 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one slacking on the Faber stuff lately! I was home sick today and yesterday and learned a couple more pieces from the Faber Developing Artist Piano Lit Book 1. And I got through maybe two pages of the Faber Adult Book 2. I'm really near the end but I've been distracted with an Easy Piano Lord of the Rings piece and Chopin's Prelude in E Minor No. 4. They're both a bit above me so they took a long time, but I've got them down fairly well now, (you can hear the recordings from the link in my sig). I really need to get back to my Faber book because I would like to begin and complete 3A this year, and I should probably start working on Christmas music soon if I'm going to have it ready in time. smile

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/18/12 10:02 AM

Thanks, PianoStudent88 and ragtimefordrones.

Not terribly common, but not entirely uncommon..... You will find this and other kind of indications at times that go outside the typical realm of treble clef RH notes and, completely separate, bass clef LH notes.

I think it was used in this case to make reading easier, but nevertheless I find it strange to just beam all the 1/8 notes together.

Great for sight reading at tempo though.

I'm so used to reading treble and bass line for RH and LH separately and independently. All of a sudden, they put them together, it actually made it more difficult for me to understand...:) It wasn't clear to me when I play the first 1/8 on left hand, should my right hand rest or continue holding the key... that was the confusion I had...

Now the confusion is cleared, thanks again!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/18/12 11:54 AM

On Friday I'm being swtiched from Faber to one of the ALfred books level 2 or 3 (regular series though.) My teacher is more comfortable with them and hopes to stop me from modifying all the songs! LOL Fabers arrangements just don't sound right and I keep correnting them as I go.

I'll still come and bug you guys though! I will still use the performance, and pop lit. ones to play out of. smile

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/18/12 12:03 PM

Interesting -- the Fabers' arrangements are supposed to be one of the strengths of the books: that students like the music. Can you say what in general doesn't sound right? Harmony? Rhythm? Something else?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/18/12 12:15 PM

I can give an example of one that is driving me crazy right now. In Ode to Joy, in the opening phrase (left hand) the last measure is written as: qe, qd, hd. It normally is written as: dotted qe, 8thd, hd. We had to write that into all of mine. It drove me nuts.

I do like the songs they have, I just can't stand the arrangements! LOL

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/18/12 01:06 PM

Ah yes, the dread "we've taught all the notes for this, but not the rhythms, so we'll write it with the wrong rhythm." I'd be interested to know if you find more of the same in Alfred -- it seems to come with the territory of the earlier stages of method books. There were a few like this in Alfred Adult All-In-One book 1.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/18/12 02:21 PM

Oh ugh that is not good! That means there is more of it no matter the method.. ahhhhhh! LOL smile Just kidding...

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/25/12 11:01 AM

I am still working diligently on Book 1. I am on the last song in the book "Banuwa". Then there is a review piece then book 2.

I am excited to be almost finished with book 1, although it has taken me a lot longer than I expected. I am happy with my progress and ready for the adventures of book 2.

Happy Playing

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/25/12 11:19 AM

Oh exciting! Congrats!

I'm still in Faber for the meantime. My piano teacher had a death in the family so no lessons for awhile. So I'm just enjoying playing through some of the Faber songs and working on my recital peice. smile

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/25/12 12:11 PM

Oh Becca I'm sorry, that is so sad. frown
And you are going with Alfred's too. I hope you keep us posted on this thread with your progress anyway.

I, on the other hand, have already started book 2 of Accelerated PA and my assignments are "Malagueña", "Mysterious Casbah" and "Rowing on a Stormy Sea".
I didn't really think they were all that musical at first but then I played them at their original tempos and now I see what everyone is talking about. I LOVE them and can't stop practicing! laugh

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/25/12 02:22 PM

I'm still going to work out of the books on my own, so your not losing me. smile I just bookmarked the last section that I need to do in book 1 of accelerated, then I can move to book 2.

Ragtime.. do you find your teacher skips you ahead a lot?

Loving what you practice is such a bonus! smile

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/25/12 03:10 PM

laugh Congrats then on almost being done with book 1! I can't say much about that one since I didn't use it but book 2 is a blast!

Well, prior to starting Piano Adventures I was dipping here and there in Alfred's AIO 1 so I did think we were skipping a lot and that is part of why I spoke to my teacher about following through method books. I wanted a planned approach in which I could see where I was going and what was expected of me (and to have some beginner literature I could refer to later on). smile

Judging from the songs I am currently working on I find starting with Accelerated PA 2 is understandable. How fast a student learns just depends on the person and doesn't really matter in my opinion. I would rather work at my own pace even if it is slow so as to not turn playing into a bore and keep me interested for a long time. Maybe that is why I am not planning on doing exams anytime soon - though I must say, RCM's and Keith Snell's repertoire selection are very appealing. wink
Posted by: fingerspitzngefuhl

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/25/12 04:19 PM

Ragtime thanks for the invite here.

I have the Adult piano adventures 1 and 2, and have only just now gotten my digital piano set up; it's set up in an office trailer I've been using for storage and I'm just getting power run out to it. So I am really starting from Square One.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/25/12 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: fingerspitzngefuhl
I have the Adult piano adventures 1 and 2, and have only just now gotten my digital piano set up; it's set up in an office trailer I've been using for storage and I'm just getting power run out to it. So I am really starting from Square One.

ha Then your books are just the right fit!

I think you will like Faber & Faber's arrangements. They are one of the series' strong suits!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/25/12 09:56 PM

Thanks! I read a ton on here and a bit on other places, and the consensus seems to be that Piano Adventures just edges out Alfred's for learning, and that many have both.

I guess I am also free to try out the kids' Piano Adventures books too if I like. I found a few in a used book store but they were all doodled up by some kid!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/26/12 01:38 AM

@fingers.....welcome to the forums! Not sure if you are interested, but there is a group of piano players in Berkely that meet at a senior center each month. The website is http://east-bay-musical-chairs.blogspot.com/
Posted by: KBS1607

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/26/12 05:51 PM

I finished the Alfred Adult book one but my teacher and I switched to PA (regular not adult) and I really like it.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 04/26/12 06:03 PM

That's great, KBS1607! What level PA are you in?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/02/12 01:51 AM

I just started out a week ago or so, I'm on page 42-43. This is in the Adult Piano Adventures book 1.

It's pretty cool; I'm actually starting to read music!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/02/12 02:16 PM

Hey Ragtimefordrones. that's an interesting user name, why did you choose it?

As for mine, it serves me well. I was doing some work involving BIG thistle plants and digging up and breaking up some very old rotten pallets, and of courses those are full of large spines and rusty nails, respectively. I purposely work without gloves because bare hands allow me to feel what I'm working with better.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/02/12 05:30 PM

Because I like the drone effect but most importantly because I don't think I'll ever have the soul to play ragtime.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/02/12 05:40 PM

Uh,

wut?

Does ragtime have a drone effect in it? I don't know a lot of musical fun-duh-mentals so it's a serious question. When I think of the drone effect I think of the drone strings on a sitar.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/05/12 07:31 PM

I'm wondering if I should look at some of the regular (kids') PA books. I found some in a used book store but they had a ton of doodles in them! :-)
Posted by: alans

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/06/12 07:30 PM

I was learning Faber Adult Book Two but I find it confusing and disorienting. So I went out and bought some kid's Piano Adventures Book Two A and I", going to start again from there. This will be about my millionth time starting a new method of learning the piano. I think the first book might be a little too easy but I prefer that and then gradually moving into more challenging stuff.I found trying to learn the adult books was like being jerked around in an out of control car. And I enjoy the kid's drawings.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/06/12 08:21 PM

I am actually starting Book Two. But at the bottom of some pages it says teacher's duet and then student plays one octive higher. Does this mean I actuaaly transpose this teacher's duet? It looks more advanced then the other pieces.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/07/12 01:02 AM

alans, if you have a teacher, the teacher can play the duet part while you play the regular piece. This gives a fuller sound to the music. They're more advanced than the student music, and students aren't expected to be able to play the teacher's duet.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/07/12 08:27 AM

Finishing up Book 1 this week, that is so exciting to me.

I have not played through all the scales and arpeggio's at the end of the book. How does everyone handle these? My teacher said that I can do them as I please, just wondering what everyone else does.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/07/12 09:21 AM

PianoPraise how long did you work on Book one?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/07/12 10:09 AM

Does everyone here have a teacher? I hope I can still move forward with this book without a teacher?

I like the music arrangement in this book, recorded a couple of simple ones. Welcome any comments and critics.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/07/12 10:17 AM

Wish4 Thing, I love love love your rendition of Whirling Leaves.

You have all the notes correct on the Classical Dance. Here's a thought on expression for it -- what would it sound like if you lightened up on beat 2? Right now it sounds like you're stabbing it, and emphasizing it more than any of the other beats. I'm thinking of something almost like a sigh on beat 2 -- three ONE {sigh} three and ONE {sigh} etc.

Thank you for posting these. I enjoyed listening to them.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/07/12 10:37 AM

wish4thing, great recordings! You have just started book 2? How are you liking it? I have a teacher and lately we have stopped working out of the last 3 or 4 pieces in book 1. She has plans to go back, but she wanted to "push me" with some intermiate pieces she selected. I read that you were self taught. You have much stronger discipline than I! Good luck with your learning, and by the sound of it, it will go well!
david

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/07/12 10:43 AM

Thanks, PianoStudent88! (I feel like calling you PianoTeacher now:) I really needed feedback like that, it helps me to improve my dynamics. I'll re-do the Classical Dance piece. Thanks again!

Whirling Leaves reminded me of an old piece I played long time ago, Autumn Ballad. It was way over my level back then... but now with whirling leaves, I kept thinking of autumn:)

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/07/12 10:55 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, djheinen! Hope to listen to your recordings some day!

I'm about finishing up Alfred's All-in-one Level one book. While I'm still practicing the last song, I started Faber's book (as PianoStudent88 suggested some time ago). At the beginning, I felt like a big stepback going from last songs in Alfred to Faber's accelerated lesson book 2. But I do realize that my weak spot is my dynamics, and this "stepback" is a good way to help me to leap forward in the future, hopefully:)

I'm not as disciplined as I should... I have been playing on and off... every year I started from Jan (new year resolution of course grin) and stopped for the rest of the year... I hope I will do better this year with all the encouragement and support from this forum!

I know for sure that you with a teacher will improve a lot faster than I do!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/07/12 11:39 AM

It has taken me a little over a year. I don't know if this is a normal pace, but I was a complete beginner. I also had a hard time moving to another piece until I got the current one almost perfect.

I am happy with my progress.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/07/12 11:40 AM

Does everyone here have a teacher? I hope I can still move forward with this book without a teacher?

I like the music arrangement in this book, recorded a couple of simple ones. Welcome any comments and critics.

I do have a teacher, I need the accountability when things get tough

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/07/12 09:56 PM

Is anyone on piano adventures book 4? I just saw a wonderful clip on YouTube of kids playing one of nancy's songs called Chanson. It is so beautiful and sweet. I can't wait to get there.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/07/12 09:59 PM

PianoPraise one year on Book One is commendable. I think you must have put a lot of hard work into it if you were a complete beginner before.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/07/12 11:32 PM

Hiya Alans. I'm working in book 1 accelerated adventures. I think the level doesn't really matter (kids, accelerated, adult) as they are all good.

Wish: I started out with no teacher and used Faber to teach myself the basics, then I got a teacher, now I'm not sure if I have one or not so I might be going back to self teaching again! LOL (yeah that's complicated.) I haven't had a teacher for long (maybe 5 lessons total) but I didn't notice any great leaps in learning. Still the same plodding along but the teacher was able to show me tricks to getting through some tough hang ups. YMMV

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/08/12 12:21 AM

Thanks, Becca and PianoPraise.

Becca, I always believed I can learn everything by myself...:) until I saw my friend's kid making huge leap because of changing to a new teacher... now I'm convinced a good teacher can help a great deal... However, since my job is very demanding and I travel a lot too, I didn't feel like adding more stress by having to go to lessons regularly, especially on weekends.

I did went to one performance class with my friend's kid, it lasted several hours, that's the only long hour class I can sit through:) and I felt I learned alot from that one class!

Another impression I got is that, Faber's books are preferred by teachers?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/08/12 07:52 AM

My teacher prefers Fabers, but will use alfred's as well. We also use the alfred's supplemental books for extra assignments.
@wish-If your lessons would give extra stress, then continue to self learn. This is supposed to be fun!
@praise-I too am a complete beginner and will finish book 1 in a year. I also feel like I can't move on until I've perfected the current piece. Sometimes my teacher tells me to move on anyway. She says that its not cheating, that I have learned what I needed to learn on a particular piece and its time to move on.

I like Fabers, but playing "extra" things from other sources is more fun. Makes me feel like I am really playing songs.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/08/12 09:22 AM

Originally Posted By: alans
PianoPraise one year on Book One is commendable. I think you must have put a lot of hard work into it if you were a complete beginner before.

Thank You, I have put lots of work into it, but it has been rewarding.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/08/12 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By: djheinen
My teacher prefers Fabers, but will use alfred's as well. We also use the alfred's supplemental
I like Fabers, but playing "extra" things from other sources is more fun. Makes me feel like I am really playing songs.

I like the Faber selections, but I am supplimenting with an Alfred Level 1 Sacred Songs, I love it. I enjoy playing and singing songs that I know and learning new ones.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/08/12 09:56 AM

I think my playing may be improving because I am finding it faster to get my four pages per week into decent shape. Yay!

I really like the Piano Adventures music. I think it's creative and sounds good.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/08/12 03:59 PM

I think my playing may be improving because I am finding it faster to get my four pages per week into decent shape. Yay!

I really like the Piano Adventures music. I think it's creative and sounds good.

That is great that you are seeing such improvement. Congratulations.

I also like the music in Piano Adventures.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/08/12 11:29 PM

How do you determine the right tempo for each song in the book? Do you listen to the CD or the teacher will tell you the right tempo? Thanks.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/09/12 12:57 AM

Wish4 Thing, I have a metronome and use the metronome markings on each piece as a guide for tempo. The book usually gives a range of tempos. As a personal challenge, I aim ultimately for the top of the range (but start practicing slower, of course). However, when I first started doing this getting even close to the lower end was a real victory.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/09/12 12:46 PM

Okay so Im not going anywhere. I think my teacher quit. frown I've left a few messages and I've not heard from him. I haven't had a lesson since March and he still owes my son and I an hour each, so yeah.. I think he quit!

So I'm going to go back to what I was doing before him and just carry on with the Faber Accelerated Level 1. That will put me back to about halfway through the book. I'll keep on learning with the scales (I have a book) and the Theory(I have two books for that.) and use the technique and theory from Faber also.

What do you guys think?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/11/12 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: BeccaBb
Okay so Im not going anywhere. I think my teacher quit. frown I've left a few messages and I've not heard from him. I haven't had a lesson since March and he still owes my son and I an hour each, so yeah.. I think he quit!

So I'm going to go back to what I was doing before him and just carry on with the Faber Accelerated Level 1. That will put me back to about halfway through the book. I'll keep on learning with the scales (I have a book) and the Theory(I have two books for that.) and use the technique and theory from Faber also.

What do you guys think?

Sorry you are having teacher problems. I personally need a teachers guidance and the accountability of having to play for her each week, but I realize not everyone needs this accountability.

Happy Playing

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/11/12 11:36 AM

Allegro Modertato, Part B is giving me a fit this week.

LH eight notes and right hand quarter notes with staccato. I can play it hands seperate but when I put them together it goes south. Well at least I have until Wednesday to get it.

Anyone else on this song?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/14/12 03:43 PM

You have all the notes correct on the Classical Dance. Here's a thought on expression for it -- what would it sound like if you lightened up on beat 2? Right now it sounds like you're stabbing it, and emphasizing it more than any of the other beats. I'm thinking of something almost like a sigh on beat 2 -- three ONE {sigh} three and ONE {sigh} etc.

I can't seem to find a sample recording on youtube or internet... so I typed the first few measures of Classical Dance in a software that can generate MIDI, does this sound right?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/14/12 08:19 PM

OK am I correct in my understanding that the CDs don't have examples of the pieces being played, but instead are accompanying tracks?

However, I am finding a lot of 5 and 6 year olds on YouTube who are happy to show me how the pieces are supposed to sound. Most of 'em anyway, this kid seems a little ambivalent...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuyutsh0yWU

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/14/12 09:25 PM

I'm learning to play Don't Cry For Me Argentina in the Piano Adventures kiddie book 2b. It's fun..it's just the left hand is always lagging behind.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/14/12 11:59 PM

I think getting the hands to work together is a problem we all have as newbs.

It's funny, I have the 2B "kiddie" book and I can't find that song in it.

I didn't realize there are 4 books for each level, plus three more supplemental ones.

It's like comic books, gotta have 'em all ... comic books you can play!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/16/12 10:54 AM

Yes Don't Cry for me Argentina is in one of the supplemental books, maybe the performance book. It's fun to use them all.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/16/12 07:04 PM

Yes! I am looking at buying ALL the books for each level, and starting over at Level 1. Buying all 7 for each level still isn't that much money.

The adult book is cool, but it doesn't have a song about getting up early to eat the leftover popcorn and darn it if Mom didn't feed it to the duck! With an illustration! The duck's the size of a goose - I'd not mess with him!

The kiddie books seem like a much more thorough course of instruction than the adult ones. And there's such a sense of *fun* in them.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/17/12 10:52 AM

I found the learning curve from piece to piece to0 steep in the adult books. I'm really enjoying the Junior Series and I do find each piece is gradually more difficult..but not too difficult..and the songs are really nice. In the chords book 2b there are great pieces. I don't find this stuff childish at all and like you, I enjoy the drawings.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/17/12 12:39 PM

I restarted accelerated book 2 and here are some recordings... welcome any feedback!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/20/12 11:17 AM

Rustic Dance: saw a youtube video , wow, how can he play that fast... should I try to play up to his tempo? I don't think I can though... I personally like this version (start at 4'08") better, 4 hands sound richer!

faster Rustic Dance:)

I was having trouble playing American Fiddle Tune (Turkey in the Straw) at 160 bpm. But after the faster Rustic Dance, the Turkey seems able to dance faster too! Good exercise for me...

American Fiddle Tune (Turkey in the Straw): F major position and transposition to C

Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress too!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/25/12 09:03 PM

That's one fine turkey in that straw!

I just ... just? OK 2 weeks ago, got "all" the Level 1 books, the 4 core books and Popular Repertoire and Gold Star Performance I think, and while I've been really swamped with keeping up the place here (a very busy 5 acres) and doing lab work, and not getting practice in, I've read through 'em and wow. The kiddie books seem to go into things in more depth, more on technique, and feeling, and thinking about music (disguised as "Mouse Missions" of course) I'm just really impressed.

Right now speaking from my own naive at best viewpoint, I'd recommend any adult to get the kiddie books and start with Primer level if you're a musical newb, and have fun being a kid again complete with colorful pictures and Mouse Missions.

(I get some relief from the work when the land owner's back in 3 weeks, and my fail-safe plan is to sign up for piano class at the local jr. college. I'll be overjoyed if they use Faber material.)

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/26/12 12:46 AM

I need to get a teacher again. I have slacked off of working on the Faber material. I have started chugging away at the All in One book 2 again. Funny thing is......I really like it! I am still hoping to get through the level 2 and move onto the level 3 books. I still practice quite a bit, but I have been engrossed in my Joplin material.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/29/12 06:19 AM

Hello again, everyone!

fingerspitzngefuhl, the kid's books really are a valuable approach you will appreciate forever.

Wish4Thing, I love your recordings! I have to get myself a MIDI cable to start making my own for "future generations".

Well, I have quite the amount of homework this week - and I love it - with Parasailing, Pumpkin Boogie and New World Symphony Theme. I'm fine with quarter notes, my real job is to get the pedalling right.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/03/12 05:47 PM

Here is the rework of the Classical Dance smile Does this sound better (or worse blush ) than the old recording ? Thanks!

fingerspitzngefuhl and ragtimefordrones: thanks for the nice words about my recordings, hope to hear yours some day:)

ragtimefordrones: I think we started the same book at about the same time, you surely progressed alot faster, nice job!

fingerspitzngefuhl: I "inherited" my current Faber book for older beginner from a friend... she also has 3A. I hope I will have chance to get to 3A some day, and that's the regular book for kids, right?:)

I went to Mexico for vacation for 8 days, no touch on piano... and won't have much time for piano for next couple of weeks because of work frown Meanwhile, I also wandered off the Faber's book to play some of the easy pieces on gmajormusictheory.org, it's fun!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/04/12 05:22 PM

I had picked up 2 of the Chordtime Books level 2b - Jazz and Marches and Ragtime. I really enjoyed them so since I'm about through with Alfred's Adult Level 1 I ordered Faber's Adult All in One Book 2 and have found the different approach from Alfred's has added a lot to my knowledge base. For me they complement each other very well.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 07/03/12 08:51 PM

how many beats per minute when tempo says allegro? (for Malguena?) Thanks!

(OK, here is my recording at 168bpm... Malaguena)
Posted by: Reaper_FBB

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 07/04/12 07:07 AM

Hi everyone. I hadn't had any musical exposure before starting lessons 6 weeks ago so I was a complete beginner.

In my first lesson, the tutor showed me a couple of books and I picked Adult Adventures as my main one and I find it a very good source.

This week's assignments were "Procession" and an extract from "Surprise Symphony" which is giving me my first exposure to stacatto.

My lessons have followed a similar format to others. I'll play the pieces I've been practising, then the teacher will look through the book and get me to try two or three new ones and occasionally throw in an exercise.

I also bought the "Really Easy Piano Tutor" book as a supplement and have attempted a couple of pieces on my own. Since I "got" my practise tunes quite quickly this week, I've been trying "Swan Lake" from this one. I'm getting there but the fingering changes do slow my tempo. It's a fun piece to learn though.

And also, I've been making a first attempt at transcribing a song ("Lithium" by Evanescence). I've got the melody (slightly simplified) and will next try to figure out the bass line. Tricky but really good fun.

So all in all, a busy week of practise smile Oh and to get back on topic, I'm finding the Faber book a very good learning tool...

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 08/06/12 09:32 PM

Hi, how is everyone doing? I'm going slow...

ran into a question today, would like to get some help from here...: how to interpret the double vertical lines below (circled in red)? Thanks!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 08/07/12 01:09 AM

Double lines: end of a section. In this case, marking off the introduction from the body of the piece.

ETA: don't pause at the double bar line unless it makes musical sense to pause, which in this case I don't think it does. A slight pause for effect might be interesting after the first beat of measure 4, but this is quite independent of the double bar line.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 08/07/12 03:28 PM

Thanks, PianoStudent88!

I found the following info on internet, which didn't seem to apply to this piece... To me, the "introduction" sounds the same pattern as the "body"... frown

Quote:
A double bar line is used to separate different sections of a song, and may mark the transition into a different time signature, key signature, or overall style.

Quote:
A double barline refers to two thin, vertical lines used to separate different sections of a musical passage. Double barlines are used in the following ways:

Before a key change

During an overall change of style; or before a chorus or bridge

Before changing the time signature mid-line. If the change occurs mid-measure, a dotted double bar is used; see image.

Before a tempo or Tempo I

Sometimes occurs with the repeat commands dal segno (D.S.) or da capo (D.C.)

If the command fine is found in the middle of a composition, it will be accompanied by a final barline (in which case the song’s very last measure ends with a double barline); fine mid-measure is seen with a dotted double barline.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 08/08/12 09:54 AM

To me, the "introduction" sounds the same pattern as the "body"... frown

In this case, the difference is that the intro has the LH only. Not a dramatic difference, but enough to distinguish it. I think use of the double bar line is a bit fussy in this piece, but I've noticed that the Fabers seem to use it a lot to mark off introductions.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 08/08/12 10:33 AM

In this case, the difference is that the intro has the LH only.

but I've noticed that the Fabers seem to use it a lot to mark off introductions.

that makes perfect sense now... Thank you!
Posted by: atinm

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 09/20/12 11:53 AM

I know this is very late and I am only just catching up with this thread, but as I've seen this asked a few times: according to the Piano Adventures site, the follow up to Adult Piano Adventures Book 2 is Piano Adventures 3A in the main series. I think their catalog is available as a pdf on their website homepage and it has a flowchart of how things are supposed to progress according to them.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 09/20/12 12:49 PM

Glad to find this thread - it is interesting that the Alfred course threads on pianoworld are so much busier than the Faber & Faber thread even though it seems PA is preferred over Alfreds by a lot of teachers. Maybe Alfred's is better known amongst adults while PA is better known for kids. But luckily my teacher was fine with me using Adult PA as I want my 5 year old to learn from PA (the kids version) as well.

I am 45 and acquired a 1916 Henry F Miller upright off craigslist for free (except for the moving!) a couple of months ago and cleaned it up, fixed some of the regulation myself (I am somewhat handy and bought the tools I needed), replaced some of the felts and adjusted some of the hammers/dampers that were off kilter and fixed stuck keys etc. Finally got a piano tuner to tune it (and teach me to maintain it so I can keep it in tune between professional tunings - he did say the piano is quite nice and doesn't have any problems except age) and started futzing around until I decided I really should just get a teacher.

After some research, I decided I wanted to learn from PA and so looked for a teacher who was familiar with it and was lucky enough to find a young guy who just finished his master's in piano performance and was tutoring my niece for SAT prep!

My goal is to be able to pick up any piece of piano repertoire and be able to sight read and play it well enough to be recognizable, and to be enjoyable for both me and any listeners - basically the same as what I can do on guitar. The goal is not to perfect every piece in Adult PA, but rather to learn what there is to learn in each piece and move on. We've been going through Adult PA 1, and I am up to Shepherd's Song and the Rameau minuet. The idea is that I want to get through the two adult books and then just work on pieces in the repertoire though I will most probably continue working in the method anyway to give some sort of direction.

Given that the goal is to be able to sight read really well, I am also working on sight reading separately using "Sightreading and Rhythm Everyday" by Helen Marlais, Kevin Olson. I also print out pieces from impls.org and use them as sight reading practice though most are still too far above where I am. I also have some of the supplementary Faber and Faber stuff like their sight reading book and gold star performance book to keep me practicing sight reading.

I recently read "Guided Sight-Reading" by Leonard Deutsch (http://www.scribd.com/doc/38451545/Piano-Guided-Sight-Reading-by-Leonhard-Deutsch-1950) that I found very interesting (I found a pdf online), as it talks about how teaching piano seems to be mostly about memorizing rather than learning to sight-read and that most people sight-read about 2 levels below their playing and therefore people are missing out because the pieces being practiced during this period aren't very interesting (though PA does have slightly better music than I thought it would). I noticed this myself, it is a lot more painful to me to have to learn things measure by measure because my sight-reading hasn't kept up yet to what I can put into my muscle/musical memory so I am working on this now so that I can sight-read anything at the same level as I can play . . . we shall see how that goes! The books also talks about a style of teaching where the student and teacher sight-read everything together, the teacher playing higher on the keyboard and the student basically playing along, learning "on-the-fly" while sight-reading. I have found that I do better when my teacher plays with me, because then I can see exactly what he is doing, how it is supposed to sound and can try to imitate his motions directly with instant feedback when it doesn't sound similar. We shall see if this makes things easier over the next few weeks!
Posted by: Tech 5

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 09/21/12 08:33 PM

I'm using Adult Piano Adventures...just started it 3 weeks ago with a teacher who gives 1hr lessons at my house. I also use the Children's Piano Adventures. She has me practice from both books, but primarily the adult book is the one we use.

You are far more advanced than I am at this time. I'm in level one books.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 09/28/12 02:49 AM

Question again... at the beginning of this page, how to play the note with an accent mark AND a "p"? I thought accent mark means louder... how can a louder sign and a soft sign go together?

Thanks!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/01/12 09:56 AM

I think it means "a little louder" than 'p' and getting louder (cresc.). At least, that is what I think - but you may want to ask this in a more generic post rather than within the Faber&Faber thread as many of the teachers or advanced ABF players may not be reading this thread!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/01/12 02:51 PM

Thanks, Atinm! I'll see if I can find answers somewhere else, will post back if I have any answers.

I'm working on my dynamics... so going slow on turning pages...:)

How's your sight-reading lessons coming along? I'm sure you are enjoying it!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/02/12 12:14 PM

The sight-reading is going well, thanks. I do all playing via sight-reading and very little memorization though I can't help memorizing the easy pieces in F&F Adult Book 1 after a few tries so I am also doing the exercises in "Sight-Reading and Rhythm Everyday" everyday. I can't wait to get through the two F&F Adult books so that I can start to tackle real repertoire . . . I figure that the RCM syllabus has F&F upto Book 2B in their "preparatory A and B" levels but then they go to repertoire so I will do the same!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/02/12 02:05 PM

Question again... at the beginning of this page, how to play the note with an accent mark AND a "p"? I thought accent mark means louder... how can a louder sign and a soft sign go together?!

It means, relative to an overall p dynamic, accent those notes. So yes, they'll sound a bit louder than your basic p might sound. They're not getting specifically louder (each louder than the previous one), though, until the crescendo sign at m. 13. [The preceding sentence is wrong: correction in a following post. Thanks, atinm!] Then, within the general idea of getting louder, you continue accenting the first beat of each measure. So for example in m.14 D# is actually slightly louder than F#.

If you listen to excellent pianists, there are always subtle variations of dynamics going on, even if they're playing within one dynamic marking. They are experts at having a myriad of ways to touch and sound a note.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/02/12 02:23 PM

Thanks PianoStudent88 - I wasn't sure if I was actually correct about the louder part though now I have to ask my teacher what the cresc. and dim. mean in measures 9-12 if it doesn't mean going up and down!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/02/12 02:31 PM

Oh oh oh! I apologize, my big mistake! I missed the cresc. and dim. words in mm. 9 and 11. You're absolutely right: getting louder from mm.9-11, getting softer from the end of m.11 through m. 12, and then getting louder again, this time notated with the hairpin symbol instead of the cresc. word.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/02/12 02:35 PM

Another thought: accenting might not be synonymous solely with playing louder. For example, what articulation makes sense for these notes: legato? Staccato? Something in between? In between but closer to staccato, or to legato? And/or you could play with how you leave the key -- how the dampers come back to the string. Do you want the dampers to come down gently or abruptly? This also affects the sound. (I don't have good conscious control of this level of sophistication in my playing, but I've read about it, and wonder if the key for me (no pun intended smile ) will be not in thinking about dampers, but in paying attention to how I'm touching the keys and how I'm using all parts of my body, from legs to fingertips.)

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/03/12 09:03 AM

As the OP is farther ahead than me, he might be able to do some of the more sophisticated touches you are writing about. Me - I'm on Adult Book 1 and mostly happy when I can find the keys and keep time after a few tries! wink

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/03/12 11:05 AM

Thanks, PianoStudent88 and atinm! I was going to ask the question on Faber's website, but my registration didn't get approved until last night. and now I've got the perfect answer from both of you, thank you!

Originally Posted By: atinm
As the OP is farther ahead than me

I'm a forever beginner:) I'm sure you'll catch up very soon, especially you come from guitar background, that experience definitely helps!

I don't have good conscious control of this level of sophistication in my playing

I've listened to some of your pieces in the quarterly recitals. Your playings sound really nice to my ears.

Last weekend, one of my friends sent me her son's recent recording, I really love the dynamics in the video. The other friend's son is with the same teacher. So I can see the same dynamics pattern in both boys...

Just as what you said,
If you listen to excellent pianists, there are always subtle variations of dynamics going on, even if they're playing within one dynamic marking. They are experts at having a myriad of ways to touch and sound a note.
These 2 boys are not excellent pianists yet, but their teacher is, he used to play Chopin and that's how he teaches his student...

A and C

This might not be new to you since most of you have teachers, smile but for me, I feel like their progress from the past few months really enlightens me... just wanted to share with you:)

Thanks again!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/03/12 03:12 PM

hmmm, sorry for another stupid question from me: what is "with motion"? (Evening Guitars, page 38 of Accelerated Lesson Book 2)

here is what I found on internet:
Quote:
The tempo marking “Con moto” usually designates “a fairly brisk speed for the beat.” The alternate definition from the New Music Student Dictionary is “to move your body when you play.”

so, does it mean brisk speed or body moving?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/03/12 05:22 PM

Brisk speed -- though if you are happily bopping your body with the music, no one should complain unless it makes your playing suffer. In fact, many writers on piano technique (like Abby Whiteside) expect your body to be involved when playing.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/03/12 05:50 PM

Thanks, atinm! That helps a lot!

I started Faber's (accelerated) book 2 after Alfred's All-In-One Level 1. so I might have missed the concept introduced in Faber book 1...

In book 2, it talked about Andante, Moderato and Allegro, but not "with motion", that's what confused me. Thanks for the clarification!
Posted by: warlock214

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/19/12 10:12 AM

Hello all! Just started in the Faber and Faber Adult PA Book 1 as well as lessons with an instructor last night. My instructor is ordering a Christmas Book with a few songs that I should be able to play by Christmas. So I'm gonna spend some time this weekend reading and practicing.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/19/12 11:12 AM

Welcome, warlock214! Enjoy your reading and practicing!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/27/12 07:01 PM

After one lesson, I'm up to p.19/Unit 1. Trying to get both hands in sync to finish Ode To Joy! I'm practicing one line at a time. The book wants me to play the last 4 measures with both hands. I can play the last 4 measures with both hands slowly. But missing notes when I try to speed up. Any suggestions?

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/27/12 09:50 PM

If I recall correctly, both hands are playing the same notes, an octave (or two) apart. Just slow it down completely and think where you are putting your two fingers for each note. Keep it slow until it feels natural to you and you will be able to increase your speed and accuracy. In fact, by tomorrow or the next day you will probably wonder why you thought it was difficult.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/30/12 09:10 AM

mom3gram...I slowed down and was able to finish the piece correctly! Thank you.

I was playing in C. The book suggests transposing to G. That's the goal tonight.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 10/30/12 10:52 PM

I finally finished recording Silent Movie Music. "Could this music be played for a romantic scene or a suspenseful scene?" I'd say it's suspenseful for Halloween! Happy Halloween to all!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/05/12 02:07 PM

Completed Unit 1 in the F & F Piano Adult Book. It went pretty fast and I was able to understand, practice and play without any issues. It's exciting to learn new things and when I made mistakes I kept going until I corrected them. Onward!!!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/05/12 11:51 PM

Congrats! Keep at it!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/05/12 11:55 PM

Congrats! Hope you did something to celebrate!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/11/12 09:38 PM

Becca I didn't celebrate. But when I finish Unit 2, I will! I'm near finished with Unit 2 in Faber and Faber 1. I'm trying to play the Russian Folk Song. I almost got it. I'm gonna try to complete it tonight. Taking a 15 min break. Hope every one doing well!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/11/12 10:06 PM

I really like the Russian Folk song! Tons of fun to play once you get the hang of it. smile

I restarted from the beginning recently so I'll be having a second round with it soon. smile

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/12/12 09:24 AM

Was able to play the Russian Folk Song last night. Next challenge is "Midnight Ride". smile

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/13/12 02:32 PM

LOL I'm starting the Russian Folk song today! Didn't realize I was almost there!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/15/12 10:50 AM

Okay on Midnight Ride. Forgot I played the heck outta these songs (probably be whipping by this one too.) My whole family is groaning at me replaying these tunes.. hehe

Luckily the technique book is slowing me down (another version of midnight ride.) I'll be working on that for a while. I really want to get the dynamics just right and get the tempo up before I move on. Right now just focusing on two bars at a time and getting notes, changes and timing nice and smooth.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/16/12 10:54 AM

I actually had to count 1-2-3 thru each measure in order to play Midnight Ride correctly.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/22/12 05:00 PM

LOL I always count like that! If I don't then I start going really uneven immediately. Good for you for getting through it!

I'm on camptown races (a favorite) in the lesson book and and in the technique book on the Perilous Midnight Ride. I have it up to speed now. Just making sure when I don't use the metronome I stay even (some parts I seem to go off kilter still) so I'll probably be on that one a few more days.

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 11/28/12 04:02 PM

Well since my goal of getting my basics back up to snuff has been met, I decided to jump back to where I was in the book. I'm now working on page 52 Race car rally. It has some tricky timing in it (for me at least) so I anticipate being here for awhile. Feels good to be back on track with the right skills again! Weeee smile

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/10/12 10:11 AM

I'm still progressing, though very slowly....

on "Beach Party" now, found a recording on youtube, but curious whether your teacher agreed for you to play the piece at such a fast speed? I thought it marked as "moderately"?

Thanks!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/12/12 11:25 AM

Hiya Wish!

I don't have a teacher and I'm not in the same book. However I have all the books. In the artistry and technique book, on page 53, is the exercise that matches Beach Party. The marking is moderato which is around 108-120bpm.

I would aim for somewhere in there. smile

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/12/12 09:09 PM

Thanks, Becca!

I personally think 120bpm sounds better... on the other hand, my fingers just can't move as fast as the player on the youtube video, wondering if that's something I should spend more time to work on...

congratulations on your first online lesson:) can't wait to listen/watch your progress in your recordings:) Enjoy!

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 12/13/12 12:47 AM

Thanks Wish! Maybe I'll post a polished piece at the end of my lessons. wink

I'm not sure about how much to speed up a work half the time. I try to do my best to get it up to speed but some of it I just pass. I think that video is a wee bit quick but who knows? LOL maybe I should ask my teacher! haha
Posted by: springtime

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/01/13 07:38 PM

Hi! I wanted to say hello. I have been reading this forum but have never posted. I am an older adult that is getting back to lessons finally. I took some for a few years as a child (seems like a common story) I was able to bring my mothers piano to my house (she was using it as furniture frown ) and start lessons again yippie. I am using the Faber Adult lesson book with my teacher. Nice to be here! Great information!
Posted by: ElleC

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/01/13 07:47 PM

Welcome springtime! Glad you came out of lurking. I'm sure your piano has been dying to get that much needed attention. Perhaps we can hear you play at the piano bar soon?
Posted by: Bobpickle

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/02/13 03:00 AM

Welcome springtime. Enjoy your piano and time with it!
Posted by: springtime

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/02/13 07:01 PM

Thanks for the welcome. What is the Piano Bar? Perhaps I don't want to know, I may have to post a video of me playing? Not anytime soon. You'll be glad.
Posted by: earlofmar

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 06/02/13 08:17 PM

Welcome springtime, I can remember when my mother bought a piano as a piece of furniture for no one in the house ever played it.

The Piano Bar (a monthly thread on the adult beginners forum) is just a nice place to share your playing with others, whether it be a set of scales or a simple single handed melody your happy with. We are all beginners and recognise the difficulty and the achievements of fellow beginners. So I hope to hear something from you in the not too distant future.
Posted by: BrianDX

Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels - 05/03/14 07:26 PM

Just found this thread.

In a nutshell: About 25 years ago I took lessons for about 2 years, and we used the Alfred's books. Stopped after two years; teacher moved away, I was not progressing, raising my children was taking up all of my non-work time.

Fast forward to August of last year. Re-started my lessons with a fantastic teacher in Rehoboth Beach Delaware. She uses the Faber Accelerated Adventures for the Older Beginner. These books are fantastic! In my case, these books teach the basics the way I need to learn. After eight months I'm already in the middle of level 2.

Everyone learns differently, but for me, the Faber books get my highest recommendation.