Piano World Home Page
Posted By: ladypayne March Piano Bar - 03/01/12 03:04 PM
Happy first day of March!! Spring is coming yay =) Here's an arrangement by Paul Cardall of Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring. It's a bit different but it is pretty =)

Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring arranged by Paul Cardall

http://www.box.com/s/sbfrqj4k3btjss9s9oyv
Posted By: Inlanding Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/12 04:18 PM
That was really good, ladypayne. You played it with real conviction, connecting with the music. Very well done, indeed.

Here is the first section of a short three part composition I am thinking about.

http://www.box.com/shared/9pmlecz79l

Glen
Posted By: ZoeCalgary Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/12 05:05 PM
The last piano bar got away from me and I wasn't able to keep up. Hopefully this month I can stay on top of things.

Ladypayne - A very neat arrangement of this piece. I fell in love with this song at Christmas time and played it for hours. I really loved your rendition and could listen to it for hours.

Inlanding - A very nice start to your composition. Peaceful, beautiful and leaving me wanting more. Can't wait to hear the next part.

Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/12 10:06 PM
ladypayne - I'm loving the new highly stylized recordings you are doing. A Very cool arrangement powerfully and confidently played.
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/12 10:09 PM
Inlanding - I was going to describe your piece as peaceful until I read ZoeCalgary's comment so I'll call it serene (and beautiful). Well done.
Posted By: Inlanding Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/12 10:16 PM
Thanks so much for the encouragement, Zoe and Bill - glad you liked it - I will continue to develop the idea.

Glen
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/12 10:23 PM
My submission this month is a recording I did yesterday of Billy Joel's She's Always a Woman from his 1977 The Stranger album. I saw a YouTube video of a live recording he did of this and really liked it. His music desk wasn't as cluttered as mine.

Posted By: Inlanding Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/12 10:31 PM
Bill~
I remember when that album was released - Billy Joel was so popular then. Such memories it conjures up. You played it beautifully.

I like the slower, more thoughtful approach you give to it. Another fine performance - your repertoire is quite extensive.

Glen
Posted By: JimF Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/12 10:32 PM
ladypayne - that was an interesting rendition. Almost had a sort of scottish or irish feel I though at one point. Very nice.

Glenn - Very nice, as always. A bit different for you...had a new-agey kind of feel.
Posted By: Amaruk Re: March Piano Bar - 03/01/12 11:48 PM
Hi,
My first post here in ABF. I took piano lessons as a child and I have started playing the piano again lately. It is so much fun!

I recently recorded the piano part of Gounod's Ave Maria (Bach's Prelude in C-Major) in A-major. I hope you like it.

[video:youtube]9xIfONXLyKg[/video]

Posted By: ZoeCalgary Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/12 12:45 AM
BillM - this is a great rendition of a classic. Super well done as always!

Amaruk - a very nice first recording! How long did you play ad a kid? Your playing is very smooth and nice. I enjoyed it Alot.
Posted By: Amaruk Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/12 12:59 AM
Thanks for your kind words Zoe!

I took lessons between the age of like 8 and 12. But it is over 30 years ago now so I don't remember exactly. smile

Bill - That is simply fantastic! You have a great voice and play the piano with such ease!
Posted By: Amaruk Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/12 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by Inlanding
That was really good, ladypayne. You played it with real conviction, connecting with the music. Very well done, indeed.

Here is the first section of a short three part composition I am thinking about.

http://www.box.com/shared/9pmlecz79l

Glen

Glen - Did you compose that??? It was amazing!! I loved it!
Posted By: Amaruk Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/12 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by ladypayne
Happy first day of March!! Spring is coming yay =) Here's an arrangement by Paul Cardall of Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring. It's a bit different but it is pretty =)

Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring arranged by Paul Cardall

http://www.box.com/s/sbfrqj4k3btjss9s9oyv

Ladypayne - That was great! I enjoyed it!! The recording was great too. What mic/recorder do you use by the way?
Posted By: ladypayne Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/12 01:46 AM
I use a zoom h1 which works great! I also use some music software that allows me to edit the audio and make it sound a bit better smile
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/12 03:57 AM
Amaruk - What a lovely performance. You playing is quite smooth and expressive. Loved the video - Belated Merry Christmas to you also.
Posted By: Amaruk Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/12 10:51 AM
Thanks Bill!
The video is just two video greeting cards I made in 2005 stitched together. I am evaluating Final Cut Pro X at the moment and I did this as a quick test of how to use audio and video and upload to YouTube.
Posted By: Newman Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/12 12:59 PM
Bill - a great song. I wish I could play like that.
Lady payne - ditto ... I can only imagine playing like that
InLanding - I think I finally have a way to describe your style 'enigmatic ambience'
Amaruk - I generally don't listen to classical ... but I must say I enjoyed that piece.
Posted By: ladypayne Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/12 02:16 PM
Inlanding: That was really beautiful. Hope to hear the rest soon! You really are talented in composing your own songs.

BillM: Another beautiful song. Well played and your singing is great as always! Very enjoyable.

Amaruk: Welcome to the piano bar! You are off to a great start. Very relaxing and sounded perfect to me!
Posted By: TX-Dennis Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/12 03:15 PM
ladypayne, this is a beautiful and unique arrangement. I really enjoyed listening. Great job.
Posted By: TX-Dennis Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/12 03:17 PM
Glen, your composition is lush and beautiful. It sounds like a trek through a beautiful wilderness area.
Posted By: TX-Dennis Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/12 03:20 PM
Bill, this is some of your best work. Nice.
Posted By: TX-Dennis Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/12 03:23 PM
Amaruk, I enjoyed this. Your playing is smooth with a nice light touch.
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/12 06:55 PM
I certainly don't want to hog the Piano Bar stage this month as I have already submitted a song, but the passing of Davy Jones of the Monkees this week was especially sad for those of us of a certain age. In my house growing up we were not allowed to watch TV during the week when the Monkees were first aired so I never got to watch their programs but I really liked their music.

Here is a subdued version I did this morning of one of the songs on which Davy Jones sang lead (according to the Washington Post most of the lead singing was done by Micky Dolenz).

Posted By: JimF Re: March Piano Bar - 03/02/12 09:28 PM
Hi BillM,

Thanks for the tribute to Davy Jones. I don't think I'd ever describe myself as a Monkees fan, but being of "that age" means songs like Daydream Believer bring you back to very specific places and times. It evoked some fond remembrances and put a smile on my face.

Jim
Posted By: ladypayne Re: March Piano Bar - 03/03/12 10:28 PM
BillM: That was really nice. Soothing to listen too. =)
Posted By: TX-Dennis Re: March Piano Bar - 03/03/12 11:11 PM
Bill, I'm old enough to have watched The Monkees as a child. I enjoyed your performance. Always liked that song.
Posted By: Elssa Re: March Piano Bar - 03/04/12 04:50 AM
LadyPayne; That was a joyful rendition - beautiful arrangement and playing, as always! smile

Glen; I really enjoyed your new composition.. very meditative and soothing.

BillM; I thought Daydream Believer was a great tribute to Davy Jones, and I liked your version of She's Always A Woman even better than the original.

Amaruk: Your "Ave Maria" was mesmerizing - great job. thumb

Here's one of my favorite piano concerto themes.. Hope you enjoy.

Theme from Piano Concerto No. 1 (Tchaikovsky)

Posted By: Augustina Re: March Piano Bar - 03/04/12 05:21 AM
Here is another song by composer Shi Jin- grin
There might be a few background noises. My kitten decided to start playing at the same time I was recording. I didn't feel like recording it again, so here it is smile
Also once again; the pauses are from me turning pages.

Hua De Weixiao-

http://www.box.com/s/ykkh40t9hqskotk5l9id
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/04/12 01:57 PM
Elssa - loved your rendition of the Piano Concerto Number 1 - as usual you nailed it.
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/04/12 02:01 PM
Augustina - thanks for introducing me to this lovely and nicely played piece. One of the reasons I like the Piano Bar so much is that one gets exposed to a wide variety of music.
Posted By: Elssa Re: March Piano Bar - 03/04/12 09:37 PM
Thanks for the kind comments, Bill smile I had a lot of fun using the "cross-hands technique" with this one.

I think Tchaikovsky wrote the most beautiful melodies. smile When I played this for my mom over the phone, as usual she told me ahead "Now, don't tell me the name of the song - Let's see if I know it and can remember the name!", so I played my recording, and she said "I know it.. That's "Tonight We Love", one of my favorite songs from back then"! I'd sorta forgotten about that. laugh
Posted By: Elssa Re: March Piano Bar - 03/05/12 06:03 AM
Here's a little more Tchaikovsky...

The Sleeping Beauty Waltz ("Once Upon a Dream" in the Disney movie) smile

Posted By: beechcraft409 Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/12 04:48 AM
This is what I have been doing lately. This one is really fun. I'm sorry I haven't looked at much Piano Bar this month, next week I will have much spare time, and I will be able to look at this month's submissions.

I'm not completely 100% happy with it, some of the deep bass notes seem kind of rushed in some spots. But, it feels good to have some closure to this piece. Hope you all enjoy!

edit: this is a prototype video for me, in regards to multi camera angles. I just wanted to see if I could get the basics down. I hope to add cool transitions and stuff in the future, though the software I used isn't that great (iMovie '08)
Posted By: Studio Joe Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/12 09:45 AM
Some really great submissions this month. I've enjoyed listening.

I have not recorded anything lately but here is an oldie that hasn't been played in the bar before. It is a piano solo that I wrote several years ago called Gone With the Wind
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/12 11:20 AM
Elssa - I really enjoyed your "Sleeping Beauty Waltz". I had heard this before but didn't know it was Tchaikovsky. There is so much great music in Disney movies and you did an excellent job on this one.
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/07/12 12:35 PM
Studio Joe - what a lovely composition and performance. You seem at ease with several musical styles - this is quite different from some of your other Piano Bar submissions.
Posted By: TheodorN Re: March Piano Bar - 03/08/12 12:01 AM
ladypayne, very nice version of Jesu Bleibt Meine Freude. Inlanding, your compositions are very good and this one is no exception. Nicely played of course, as well.

BillM, both your performances posted so far this month are very good. Billy Joes wrote so many good songs and Daydream Believer by the Monkeys is a great classic. Again, well done.

Amaruk, you did very well with Ave Maria. beechcraft409 great playing, and a nice piece. Studio Joe, this was beautiful, you play so well.

Elssa, wonderful performances as usual from you. I went to a concert last summer with the Icelandic Symphony Orchestra and always wanted to post a YouTube video from this concert, when they played the Sleeping Beauty Waltz. It was a public free concert, so I don't think I'm breaking any copyright laws. Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLqyYCH2Wyw

PS I'm hoping to be able to post my own playing this month, not just from others!
Posted By: Larry Larson Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 12:50 PM
Hey, old friends. Sorry I haven't been here for a while. Here's a little accordion ditty I just for fun. I did it to silence someone who said "Too bad accordionists can't play Rock or Classical."

http://youtu.be/8Rg7sXPAv4M
Posted By: Larry Larson Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 01:11 PM
Glen-- very nice piece. The style is different from the other stuff you've done, which is also excellent.
Posted By: Weiyan Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 01:56 PM
Larry Larson: Very nice accordion music.
Posted By: TrapperJohn Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 02:06 PM
ladypayne - excellent rendition!

Glen - peaceful indeed - very nice.

Bill - your vocal stylings keep getting better - fine accompaniment too - always liked this Joel tune. Nice performance of "Daydream" also thumb

Amaruk - lovely playing - warm & contemplative.

Augustina - listenable tune well played (as usual).

beechcraft409 - very nice job on the Chopin Waltz - enjoyed that a lot!

Studio Joe - really liked the dark, brooding but melodious sound of your piece - very nice.

Trap
Posted By: jazztpt Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 02:31 PM
Haven't been around too much lately I am afraid but I can hear the standard in the piano bar is getting better all the time, some super performances this month.

I recorded this song this morning, Gershwin's I Loves You Porgy, it's such a beautiful tune it more or less plays itself.

I Loves You Porgy

Posted By: hawgdriver Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 04:34 PM
ladypayne - great music!
Posted By: hawgdriver Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 04:38 PM
Glen - haunting and beautiful. Had a Ravel feel to it, but more human.
Posted By: hawgdriver Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 04:41 PM
beechcraft - great Chopin. I know what you mean about having closure, it's a nice feeling. With this performance, you deserve it.
Posted By: hawgdriver Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 04:45 PM
BillM - great rendition of one of my favorite Billy Joel songs. My mom played Billy Joel all the time when I was young. I was born in '75. I love this music and you perform it well.
Posted By: Inlanding Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 05:01 PM
Thank you, all, for such encouragement with one of the sections of my little composition experiment. I've got another section just about worked out.

It's been a very busy week, and I am glad to hear so much great music posted this month, again!

Amaruk~ nice transposition of BWV846. Very smooth. Look forward to more of your music. Welcome to the March Piano Bar!

Bill~ I never really related to the Monkeys for some reason, but your playing of that sweet ballad brings light to their music for me. Great work!

Elssa~ sweet introduction to Tchaikovsky's Concerto 1. Look forward to more of it. Same for Sleeping Beauty waltz - I am used to hearing it played as a duet and you did a great job of bringing your style to it.

Augustina~ Hua De Weixiao was quite nice. Creates wonderful images of a steady stream on a mountainside, birds passing by. You always bring such unique music to the fore.

Nick~ wonderful rendition of Chopin's A-min waltz. Such a beautiful piece with lots of little tricks to overcome - you did great with it.

Joe- I'd not heard this in a long time. I remember this from one of the Piano Bars when I first started participating here. It is a beautiful composition. You have a wonderful sense of creating moods with it and it is clear you gave it a great deal of thought. Excellent, excellent.

Larry~ You're cameo appearance! It's been so long since you've posted on the Piano Bar. I love your Ledwig van Zeppelinhoven! That was so enjoyable and I can see how you could keep going and going with that theme - what great fun!

Jazzpt- Fantastic Gershwin! I play at this piece, but you really play it, and so very well. Great changes and a wonderful, rich feel you express. This is one of your best!

Glen
Posted By: Inlanding Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 05:19 PM
Here's a short take from not too long ago called, Small Minor.

http://www.box.com/s/6m6vf9sxlvg7z5qzc1lv

And since Jazzpt brought out some Gershwin, here's a recent take (from last night), a slow version of Man I Love

http://www.box.com/s/r9sutb18d8zi7dk3vj53

Glen
Posted By: Augustina Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 05:56 PM
LadyPayne- Very good job. I love this song:)

Inlanding- I love it! very pretty.

BillM-I always enjoy listening to you sing. I enjoyed this song alot:)

Amaruk- Welcome to the piano bar! This was absolutly beautiful! Very well played. Hope to hear more from you!:P
Posted By: Augustina Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 06:00 PM
I thought that I would go back to a song book I use to play out of when I was first learning how to play the piano. This is a fun song I use to play while my dad would sing:)

Puff the Magic Dragon
http://www.box.com/s/ypogvjzvko826ddamx73
Posted By: Inlanding Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 06:14 PM
Excellent, Augustina! I have fond memories of Peter Paul and Mary singing it and how in elementary school we would sing it at our quarterly hootenannies. This was one of the tunes I used to learn to play the upright bass. Great playing!
Glen
Posted By: JimF Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 09:17 PM
Jazztpt,

Thanks for posting your I Love's You Porgy. I've thought of tackling this for a while (an easier arrangement than yours). I'd be happy if mine came out half as lovely as yours. Enjoyed it a lot.

Jim
Posted By: Elssa Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Pianotehead

Elssa, wonderful performances as usual from you. I went to a concert last summer with the Icelandic Symphony Orchestra and always wanted to post a YouTube video from this concert, when they played the Sleeping Beauty Waltz. It was a public free concert, so I don't think I'm breaking any copyright laws. Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLqyYCH2Wyw

Still catching up now ... Thanks for posting that, Pianotehead.. really lovely! smile

Here's a little tune from the great musical "Showboat" with some help from my kitty at the end. grin

Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man

Posted By: ladypayne Re: March Piano Bar - 03/10/12 09:59 PM
Here's another submission from me. I took the chords played in Heart and Soul and came up with a bit of my own thing I guess =). Hope you enjoy!

Heart and Soul Variations
http://www.box.com/s/l5isbdzrluy64g08jerl

Elssa: Really nice on your pieces. I especially like the Sleeping Beauty Waltz.
Augustina: Nicely done on both pieces. =)
beechcraft: I always enjoy listening to that waltz. Thanks for sharing!
Larry: Cool! Nice accordion!
jazztpt: Very beautiful piece. Lovely playing.
Inlanding: You are quite talented as a composer. Love listening to your music!
Posted By: Little_Blue_Engine Re: March Piano Bar - 03/11/12 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by Larry Larson
Hey, old friends. Sorry I haven't been here for a while. Here's a little accordion ditty I just for fun. I did it to silence someone who said "Too bad accordionists can't play Rock or Classical."

http://youtu.be/8Rg7sXPAv4M

Well, they obviously haven't heard this...

"Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and "Nights In White Satin" sound really good on accordion also.
Posted By: LadyChen Re: March Piano Bar - 03/11/12 11:25 PM
This is fun, I love listening to everyone's submissions! There is so much variety here.

For March, I have two versions of my favorite hymn, Holy Holy Holy. I play classical and jazz piano for the most part, but my true love has always been sacred music.

First is an arrangement by M. Sherrill Kelsey:
http://www.box.com/s/qlqiydhfidt6tgn4oc0n

And second, an arrangement by Lloyd Larson:
http://www.box.com/s/cmuggbxgv8msu52nojvp

Please excuse my boo-boos, I'm feeling lazy and didn't want to do more than one take lol.
Posted By: TX-Dennis Re: March Piano Bar - 03/11/12 11:58 PM
jazztpt, your Porgyis yummy. And . . . no, it doesn't play itself. You obviously haven;t heard me "try" to play it. grin
Posted By: TX-Dennis Re: March Piano Bar - 03/11/12 11:59 PM
Larry, where have you been, dude? That was a fun bit of music.
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/12/12 12:48 AM
Larry Larson - How cool! Love the medley and the nice resolve at the end.
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/12/12 12:53 AM
jazztpt - this is a real treat. You captured the bluesy, romantic mood of this piece nicely. This one is iPod worthy.
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/12/12 12:59 AM
Inlanding - You play with such feeling and get the absolute most out of each and every note. I liked your Small minor a lot, but your rendition of the Gershwin was downright outstanding.
Posted By: jazztpt Re: March Piano Bar - 03/12/12 07:42 PM
Thanks all for your comments and for listening to my submission , glad you liked it.

Ladypayne - Jesu joy of man's desiring - one of my favourites , well done.

Glen - interesting composition and excellent playing as always, I look forward to hearing the finished piece.

Bill - you have an extensive repertoir, I am not really familiar with much Billy Joel but I enjoyed the song.
Loved your Davy Jones tribute, I was a big fan of the Monkees growing up in the sixties, you can't fail to sing along with that tune, yours was a very touching performance.

Amaruk - Very well played, do you accompany someone on this? I would love to hear this with the melody on top its such a beautiful piece.

Elssa - Theme from Piano Concerto No. 1 - Another tune I know from my childhood , my mother loved this used to play it all the time, well done. More classic cocktail piano on Sleeping Beauty, nice.

Augustina - Hua De Weixiano - very smoth performance , your playing seems to be improving all the time, very restful piece.

beechcraft409 - Chopin - very well played , I wish I had the
disipline to learn some Chopin, such beautiful piano music.

StudioJoe - excellent composition and very well played , you are an accomplished writer.

Larry Larson - that was fun , always enjoy bit of Zeppelinhoven.
Personally I could never work out the accordian , all those buttons to press , far too confusing for me, thats why I stuck to the Trumpet , only 3 buttons you see :-)

Glen - Small Minor and Man I love, you are really mastering your bluesy style of playing, pretty much perfect relaxing Piano Bar music.

LadyChen - Holy holy holy, what lovely arrangements, thanks for posting, some juicy chords in there.
Posted By: TX-Dennis Re: March Piano Bar - 03/12/12 11:31 PM
LadyChen, those are both very beautiful and moving performances of this great hymn.
Posted By: Elssa Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/12 06:55 AM
Jazztpt: I loved your "I Loves You Porgy" - such a beautiful arrangement and playing. smile

Glen: Really nice, creative jazzy compositions & arrangements - especially liked the Gershwin! thumb

Augustina: "Puff" was fun - enjoyed that a lot! smile

More movie music now...hope you enjoy.

The Windmills of Your Mind (Michel Legrand)

Posted By: jazzwee Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/12 04:23 PM
Last night, I performed in a Jazz masterclass, which was very intimidating.

The pianists that played before me got hammered heavily. So I was expecting heavy criticism to come. Anyway, our Jazz Master (a Grammy Winning pianist) said only good things (whew!). So let me share what we played. Apparently I didn't shame ABF.

I was on a real Grand here and had to play with 3 other guitar players.

(and no...this was not rehearsed. Just played on the spot with new players).

Footprints (A Jazz Waltz by Wayne Shorter)
http://www.box.com/s/75fhdvmeq4qmluq42qbp
Posted By: jazztpt Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/12 06:44 PM
Well done Jazzwee , kudos to you for taking part , this sort thing terrifies me.

Who was the Jazzmaster by the way?

It sounds like a group of good players all listening intently to eachother and it works well, some good solos, certainly doesn't sound like you have never played together before, congratulations.
Posted By: jazzwee Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/12 07:39 PM
Thanks, Jazztpt. The master was Bill Cunliffe.

It's funny you say that they were listening intently to each other. Well after two hours of criticism, they finally did listen. Didn't start out that way though. By the time I got up there the guitar players were tamed smile

Before that, guitar players only knew one thing, being loud and 'me, me, me and me'.

Posted By: jazztpt Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/12 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by jazzwee

Before that, guitar players only knew one thing, being loud and 'me, me, me and me'.

Sounds a bit like some trumpet players lol
Posted By: jazzwee Re: March Piano Bar - 03/13/12 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by jazztpt
Haven't been around too much lately I am afraid but I can hear the standard in the piano bar is getting better all the time, some super performances this month.

I recorded this song this morning, Gershwin's I Loves You Porgy, it's such a beautiful tune it more or less plays itself.

I Loves You Porgy

Beautiful Jazztpt. I loved the contrast when you did octaves. Such nice texture, voicings, and a lovely solo. thumb
Posted By: Larry Larson Re: March Piano Bar - 03/14/12 01:02 PM
Jazztpd- I add my kudos to all the other positive feedback. You really nailed that tune.

And thanks for the feedback on the accordion. Yeah, the left hand button deal is a challenge, but for me I started lessons when I was 5, so it's second nature for me. It's tough because you can't see the buttons while you're playing, and it would not help if you could. One button has an indentation, so it's all about using that as a tactile point of reference, and then having to learn how far to jump with which finger to hit any of the other 119 buttons. That's why most "accordionists" you see only use the right hand.
Posted By: Larry Larson Re: March Piano Bar - 03/14/12 01:08 PM
After my last accordion post I thought I'd put up a piano piece, at least as a reminder that I still play the piano. It feels good to be back on the forum. I've missed you guys.

http://youtu.be/jVSHS12bFr4
Posted By: saucermancer Re: March Piano Bar - 03/14/12 03:08 PM
Hey all! smile This is my submission for the March piano bar, although this is more of an audio recording test, since I've learnt this piece back in January. Any comments would be appreciated! laugh

Posted By: TrapperJohn Re: March Piano Bar - 03/14/12 11:47 PM
Here's my rendition of Schubert's popular Waltz (the intro is mine):

Waltz in B minor

Trap
Posted By: polyphasicpianist Bertini and Bartok - 03/15/12 05:40 AM
Op. 100 composed by Henri Bertini (sorry about the sound quality - I am not sure why it did that)

Melody with Interruptions composed by Bela Bartok. This peice is great fun to play (especially if you want to be devilishly annoying to your neighbours - the whole thing is marked forte, except the final two chords which are marked ff).

Posted By: hawgdriver Re: March Piano Bar - 03/15/12 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Last night, I performed in a Jazz masterclass...

What a great reward for all the effort you've put into your craft. Congrats, jazzwee.
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/16/12 01:44 PM
Elssa - beautiful performance of Windmills of Your Mind. The melody is very familiar - nice cat appearance at the end.
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/16/12 01:52 PM
Augustina - one of my kids' favorite songs when they were little. Like your dad I used to sing it to them but I would accompany myself on guitar instead of piano. I liked your upbeat tempo - very well done!
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/16/12 01:56 PM
jazzwee - I'm not a big jazz fan but I can appreciate the musicianship and creativity displayed in this recording. I thought the piano player was a standout.
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/16/12 01:59 PM
TrapperJohn - a lovely recording - your piano has a full, rich tone and your performance is nuanced and sensitive.
Posted By: Larry Larson Re: March Piano Bar - 03/16/12 03:49 PM
Jazzwee: nice work on the waltz. I've got so much respect for folks like you who can play that kind of jazz. I can do more traditional, structured jazz, but what you're doing is way out my league. It sounds great though-- good job!
Posted By: Teodor Re: March Piano Bar - 03/16/12 05:40 PM
Posted By: jazzwee Re: March Piano Bar - 03/16/12 06:19 PM
Lady Payne Sounding really good Lady Payne! And you're bringing out nice tone from the piano. Nice choice of a piece. Lovely.

Inlanding Very dreamy Glen. Lovely new age sound there. And you know I always love hearing your touch on the piano.

BillM You know I'm a jazz guy now but wasn't always. So when you played this, it reminded me what I was doing in 1978, listening to this album. You always evoke memories Bill (shows my age). Great work!

Amaruk Very nice Amaruk! I'm glad you've gotten the confidence to post your music.

Elssa Fabulous! One of my favorite concertos. Of course I was looking for more since it was just a snippet.

Augustina Nice job Augustina! You and your sister are just getting better and better.

Beechcraft409 Nice playing Beechcraft. I was amazed at the shifting camera angles. Very high tech of you smile

Larry Larson Well that was a surprise smile That really put a smile on my face. Cool!
Posted By: JimF Re: March Piano Bar - 03/16/12 07:43 PM
Teodor,

Very nice. Good balance between the hands and a very nice, smooth ending. Good work. Hope school is going well.
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/17/12 05:00 PM
Before everyone in the Bar gets a little tipsy on green beer I'd like to play a tune in honor of St. Patrick's Day.

Posted By: Amaruk Re: March Piano Bar - 03/17/12 08:56 PM
Elssa: Amazing performance. How can you play with your hands like that???

Augustina: A very beautiful piece! I never heard about that composer before. Great performance.

Beechcraft: That was simply fantastic! I also liked your use of two cameras. How did you attach the camera in the ceiling?

Joe: What a great reording! Thanks for sharing!!

Inlanding: That was amazing. Are you a pro?

LadyChen: Great songs and very nice performed!! I think I prefer the second arrangement. Both were great though.

Saucer: That is a nice piece. What is it? You performed it great!

John: Amazing! How fun it must be to be able to add intros like that!!

Poly: That was nice performances. Your second piece was outstanding! Great job!!

Teodor: Lovely!! How can you even see to play in a room that dark??

Bill: Another of you masterpieces!! Thanks for sharing with us here!! Cheers! smile

Posted By: Amaruk Re: March Piano Bar - 03/17/12 09:04 PM
I got inspired by all great submissions this month. Here is what I have been working on lately; Lee Galloway's Canon Fantasy which is a variation on Pachelsbel's Canon in D.

I created an AP and a DP version of it in case some of you have a preferences as to what you prefer. I am sorry for the mistakes here and there but I am still working on this piece. smile

Canon Fantasy on my AP:
[video:youtube]It6csohlxE0[/video]

Canon Fantasy on my DP:
[video:youtube]RVfh_fCfklI[/video]

Posted By: Newman Re: March Piano Bar - 03/18/12 10:25 AM
I've been struggling with this but can't get it much better than this at my present skill level.

Apologies for the low camera angle but I don't yet have a set up I can just 'turn to' (yet). If I'm like others I want to see how people are playing.
Posted By: Newman Re: March Piano Bar - 03/18/12 10:47 AM
Bill – I only wish I could fill like that
Teodor – you inspire me
Polyphysicist - your hands look so relaxed playing op 100. I also enjoyed the piece
Elssa - you pick good tunes which suit your style
Jazztpt –very moody
inlanding – small minor, very bluesy and I think also Gershwin inspired (or that era)
amaruk - again you have me listening and enjoying classical
Posted By: Maechre Re: March Piano Bar - 03/18/12 11:07 AM
Hey, Teodor. To Zanarkand is from the Final Fantasy X Piano Collections. wink
Posted By: Teodor Re: March Piano Bar - 03/18/12 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Amaruk

Teodor: Lovely!! How can you even see to play in a room that dark??

When I play easier pieces such as this one, I don't need to watch the hands so much, also the room only appears that dark on the camera, I don't think it was impossible to see, it was just dark enough to set the mood. smile

Thanks for all the comments.

I have an exam in sight-reading and transposition coming up soon, I need to stop playing what I like and do more practice.
Posted By: Amaruk Re: March Piano Bar - 03/18/12 11:36 AM
KaptenKawai: What a performance! I thought I was listening to the radio... it was that good! Can't believe you haven't played piano that long. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more from you on here!!
Posted By: Inlanding Re: March Piano Bar - 03/18/12 04:32 PM
jazzwee~ Very nice Footprints! It's an interesting piece of music and the idea you played it so well by sight-reading the score, then improvising on the fly is simply fantastic. That's no easy task, further magnified by the fact you had to bring up the rear after everyone had been put through the ringer. I never looked at this piece as a waltz since it's in 6/4. The waltz intention really changes it's face. Great work. Must have been fantastic learning from Bill Cunliffe.

Glen

[size:8pt][color:#3333FF]Small Minor[/color][/size]
[size:8pt][color:#3333FF]Man I Love[/color][/size]
[size:8pt][color:#3333FF]April8-004[/color][/size]
Posted By: Inlanding Re: March Piano Bar - 03/18/12 04:33 PM
A good way to start the day. Been a busy week and glad I started by catching up on some fine music.

Elssa~ Windmills of Your Mind is one of my favorite Michel Legrand pieces.

Larry~ I really enjoyed the second version of Blue Smoke. Great melody you bring out in the bass. Love the theme of this piece! Very cool all this has stayed with you while you've been doing other things only to come back to it with such confidence!

Saucermancer~ very sweet tune you brought to the bar this month. Look forward to more.

Ladypayne~ good rendition of Heart and Soul

LBE~ That was some fine accordion playing there! Your left hand is fantastic. What fun to be able to create music like that!

LadyChen~ thank you for the hymns. You play very well and welcome to the Piano Bar.

Trap~ so glad you are playing again! Love your intro to Schubert's b-min waltz. You really expressed it well. You bring out the melody very sensitively.

ppp~ never heard of Bertini - very sweet piece of music, delicately played. Love the modern sound of Bartok. Good job!

Teo~ Final Fantasy was nicely done. Good to see you playing.

Bill~ Danny Boy was wonderful! I am amazed by the fact you can accompany yourself so well while singing. Very good rendition.

Amaruk~ Good work on Pachelbel's Canon. My preference is for the slower version. Its a beautiful piece of music. Seems like you relaxed a bit when you went to the slower version.

CK~ Hasten Down the Wind was great! You've got some seriously good skills being able to sing and accompany yourself so well. It's incredible you play like that, especially considering you've not been at the keyboard that long. Great musicianship, indeed.

[size:8pt][color:#3333FF]Small Minor[/color][/size]
[size:8pt][color:#3333FF]Man I Love[/color][/size]
[size:8pt][color:#3333FF]April8-004[/color][/size]
Posted By: Rickster Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/12 03:25 AM
I haven't participated in the piano bar lately, but I have been peeping in and listening to some of the great presentations! Great stuff! smile

I've been working on a new blues tune entitled "I thought you loved my baby"; I finally got it together enough for a rough recording... it ain't all that good, but it is original. laugh

"I thought you loved me baby"

I made a few errors, but nothing too bad... you all can judge for yourselves. smile

Rick
Posted By: Elssa Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/12 04:56 AM
Thanks, all, for your kind comments. =^o^=

Teodor: I really enjoyed your Final Fantasy.. Now that's the type of music I could listen to all day. Very well done. thumb

Bill: Wonderful playing and singing as always with Danny Boy - just beautiful. smile

Amaruk: Canon in D was lovely - great flow - enjoyed both versions. smile

Rick: That was loads of fun - someday would love a video of how you do that. grin

Well, one more film theme here.. EXODUS. Hope you enjoy.

Posted By: Starr Keys Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/12 05:41 AM
A belated Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I was working on a two-song holiday medley, but I realized yesterday when I couldn't finish it in time that my only hope of salvaging all my work was to do one at a time. Here is the first song. Hope to have the other done by tomorrow night.

I've enjoyed everyone's contributions and listened to many twice on breaks from working on my pieces. I wanted to get this posted before the holiday weekend ended, but I will definitely comment on all of your wonderful contributions as soon as I finish the other song I've been working on.

Posted By: Inlanding Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/12 05:55 AM
Elssa~ Your playing Exodus brought back so many memories. When I first heard it, I just could not get the melody out of my mind. You play this with such feeling = a fabulous rendition - Thank you!

Rick~ I always enjoy your high-energy swinging and boogie blues piano and your timely lyrics. Always puts a smile on my face. Good work.

Starr~ So glad you've been able to play some. That was a fantastic arrangement!! Great left hand work keeping the pulse. Your playing is so much more relaxed. I loved it

Here's a very short, light, bluesy cut from the other night.
Posted By: saucermancer Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/12 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by Amaruk

Saucer: That is a nice piece. What is it? You performed it great!

Hullo! Its a piece by Joe Hisaishi, "Always With Me" or "Itsudemo Nando Demo" in Japanese romanji. smile

Saucermancer~ very sweet tune you brought to the bar this month. Look forward to more.

Thanks! Will work more on my technique! laugh
Posted By: Starr Keys Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/12 07:03 AM

Starr~ So glad you've been able to play some. That was a fantastic arrangement!! Great left hand work keeping the pulse. Your playing is so much more relaxed. I loved it

Thank you so much, Glen. I worked a lot harder on the left hand (as I'm sure was obvious:)) as I tried as much as possible to spare my bad right arm._ The stride and walking bass were all my own embellishments--the original easy piano score used mostly single notes in the bass, mainly the 1 and the 5.
Posted By: Newman Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/12 07:58 AM
Rick - I've listened to a few of your songs but that was definitely the best so far. That could grace any blues performer repertoire. It has all the right characteristics and interesting lyrics for the form.

Elssa - As always you pick good material. I love those old movie themes.

Starr Keys - good work

In landing - that was a little different for you, I couldn't quite place it stylistically in my head.
Posted By: Newman Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/12 08:26 AM
Thanks all for the compliments.

(Trying to put ego aside)it never occurred to me to do anything other than sing and play piano at the same time - the same as I always have on the guitar. I'm blessed in that it comes pretty naturally to me. The challenge for me is to fill out my simplistic chord style (eg. to fill things out like Bill does) and to move beyond playing root and 5th in the left hand.

I credit my progress to date to many decades of guitar playing in bands plus at least 10 hours practice a week and sometimes more (I've done 10 hours alone on a weekend many times) since I got my piano - somewhere upwards of 500 hours in the last (almost) one year.
Posted By: Starr Keys Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/12 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Captain Kawai
Starr Keys - good work

Thanks, Captain. Beautiful job with Hasten Down the Wind! I don't remember that song, but it's perfect for your voice. Those 10-hour practice days really seem to be paying off. A word of caution, though, just be careful doing it too often. I practiced that long each day for a week and had tendonitus the next. frown
Posted By: JimF Re: March Piano Bar - 03/19/12 07:55 PM
Bill - Another classic. Great job.

Amarak - Really enjoyed your Canon variation. Steady ryhthm.

CapK - You have a seriously good voice.. and your piano skills are catching up...it won't be long till you're out there gigging.

Posted By: Starr Keys Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/12 12:24 AM
I decided to do the responses first, as I'm not sure I feel up to recording my second piece. Tomorrow, my mom is going in for her second cancer-related surgery in two years and I wanted to at least record one for her before that.

LadyPayne -- Great classic Americana piece and 50's rock theme with a classical touch, both well played! you seem to have knack for finding unusual and striking arrangements. And you always seem up to their challenges.

Augustina -- Continuing your love affair with Asian-influenced music becomes you. And I always love your child's-heart picks. You are playing very well, these days.

BillM -- Nostalgia City! I love both songs and you did a great job with both.

Captain K -- I already stated earlier in this thread what I thought of your song and your voice, but your playing is amazing for one year.

Amaruk - Beautifully played and I loved the visuals.

Inlander -- very mystical sounding composition -- my favorite kind. A few more like this and you should have no trouble selling not only your cd's but also your sheet music collections.
Minor pice -- I love this style and you do it to perfection! Could you please please do it with Lush Life by Billy Strayhorn one of these days?!!
The Man I love --along with Jazzpoint's Porgy, my favorite standards of the bar this month.

Teodor -- I can see you're making the most out of your pedagogy degree!

Elssa -- Tchaikovsky and you were made for each other. Wonderful job with both pieces! And great--really great!--job with Gershwin.

beachcraft -- Lovely phrasing on this beautiful waltz. Your playing seems to have progressed by leaps and bounds.

Studio Joe -- very nice composition, well played. You might face some copyright infringement claims on the title, though.lol.

Jazzpoint -- This is one of my absolute favorites, and I can't find the words to express how beautifully you arranged and played it. Loveddddddd it!

Jazzwee -- I can see why they were so positive. What's to criticize! You do what you do like the pro you've become!

Rickster -Great Job! I agree with whoever said this is the best thing you've ever done. Loved the big Jerry Lee Lewis finish. You make it all look so easy!

Lady Chen -- Both Beautifully and inspiringly played! Makes me want to see you play!

Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/12 01:42 AM
ladypayne - Heart and Soul Variations - Is this a variations of the classic 2 person piano song popularized in the movie Big or is this a different Heart and Soul. Either way, I really liked your improv - an interesting composition.
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/12 01:54 AM
Amaruk - Canon Fantasy - I usually prefer the sound of a digital to most acoustic pianos but I listened to both versions and couldn't come up with a clear favorite - they are both very well played and a pleasure to listen to. I guess the thumbs up at the end of the digital version gives this a slight edge although I prefer the wider angle of the acoustic version - I like watching people play (not just disjointed floating hands). You are a very good player and I liked the arrangement a lot.
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/12 01:59 AM
CaptainKawai - Great song choice. I love the Linda Rondstadt version. Your voice is a good fit for this song.
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/12 02:05 AM
Elssa - Theme from Exodus - You play this with majesty and power. An excellent job - you have a real knack for capturing the mood of these movie themes that you have been playing lately.
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/12 02:08 AM
Starr Keys - Now if that doesn't bring a smile to your face nothing will. What a great old-timey sing along piece. I had to play it a couple of times and couldn't help singing along. Great tune!
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/12 02:12 AM
Inlanding - What a cool and bouncy tune! The EP voice on your DP was just right for this groove. Speaking of groove - where did you get those pants???
Posted By: BillM Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/12 02:15 AM
Rickster - Way to shuffle those ivory, Killer. Between you and Starr Keys my mood has definitely improved this evening. This one hits your sweet spot.
Posted By: polyphasicpianist Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/12 03:02 AM
Thanks Inlanding, Captain Kwai, and Amaruk. The support is great.
Posted By: Newman Re: March Piano Bar - 03/20/12 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by BillM
CaptainKawai - Great song choice. I love the Linda Rondstadt version. Your voice is a good fit for this song.

Thanks, Bill. I think you and I both love these 'old guy tunes' and have similar tastes in that vein.
Posted By: Elssa Re: March Piano Bar - 03/21/12 04:22 AM
Thanks again, all, for listening and the kind comments. smile

Starr Keys: I loved your rendition of Four Leaf Clover - nice and bouncy with great harmonies and stride style.. Good job! smile

Glen: Another great spicy, saucy, bluesy arrangement! cool

Well, here's another oldie that I had fun playing..

Love Letters in the Sand heart

Posted By: Starr Keys Re: March Piano Bar - 03/21/12 08:12 PM
Wow! Elssa, watching you ride those keys in Love Letters in the Sand is like watching an expert surfer ride the waves that leave those letters in the sand. Great job!

Thank you so much for your kind words on my attempt to simply stand upright on the board and keep her afloat.

Here is the second attempt on another Irish favorite that was, after "Clover", the second half of a two-song medley. It is done in a completely different style and one pretty new to me. I lose a little focus towards the end, but considering its my first real attempt at jazz improvisation and is, due to tendonitus, performed only with my left hand, I'm not unhappy with how it came out. Hope you like it:

http://www.box.com/s/91bc826887385cdf78cf

Posted By: LadyChen Re: March Piano Bar - 03/21/12 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Starr Keys

Lady Chen -- Both Beautifully and inspiringly played! Makes me want to see you play!

Hee hee, thanks, but recording the audio is nervewracking enough for me, nevermind video! lol
Posted By: Inlanding Re: March Piano Bar - 03/22/12 01:54 AM
Starr~ What an interesting free-play. I get a visceral response from listening to it. The fact you play it entirely with your left hand is amazing.

Perhaps it's my own mood, but you leave lots of open, unresolved phrases hanging, then start another phrase, only to end the tune with a slow arpeggio up the keyboard on a very positive note. I like it very much.

Glen

Posted By: Elssa Re: March Piano Bar - 03/22/12 04:12 AM
Here is the second attempt on another Irish favorite

Starr Keys: That was really nice! I know how it is.. I type for a living full time (medical transcription), and the tendinitis can really mess you up sometimes, but you did a great job!
Posted By: Starr Keys Re: March Piano Bar - 03/22/12 05:07 PM
Glen, thank you so much for your usual thoughtful and insightful feedback:

Starr~ What an interesting free-play. I get a visceral response from listening to it. The fact you play it entirely with your left hand is amazing.

Thank you. I think working around limitations or within a smaller set of possibilities frees me for some reason. It was the same on being forced to work with only three chords and one key (C) at PM, it helped unlock my creativity. I've tried "free play" or jazz-style improvisation before many times but never really succeeded with it.

Perhaps it's my own mood, but you leave lots of open, unresolved phrases hanging, then start another phrase, only to end the tune with a slow arpeggio up the keyboard on a very positive note. I like it very much

Thank you, but I'm not sure I was aware I was doing that. I was more focused on trying to vary the rhythms and chord colorings and fills so that playing the simple repetitive melodic phrases with only five fingers wouldn't sound too boring. At the same time, I tried not to alter it so much that people wouldn't recognize it.
Posted By: jazztpt Re: March Piano Bar - 03/22/12 09:07 PM

Here is the second attempt on another Irish favorite that was, after "Clover", the second half of a two-song medley. It is done in a completely different style and one pretty new to me. I lose a little focus towards the end, but considering its my first real attempt at jazz improvisation and is, due to tendonitus, performed only with my left hand, I'm not unhappy with how it came out. Hope you like it:

Starr keys - that is really quiet beautiful, your musicality shines through, and played with one hand , remarkable. How much of this is improvisation ? I am not sure about calling it Jazz improvisation ( we could start a whole debate about that one)but you should be proud of this, very well done.
Oh and I didn't notice a loss of focus, it all flows beautifully.
Posted By: Starr Keys Re: March Piano Bar - 03/23/12 04:38 PM
BillM I almost missed your kind comment on my first piece. Thank you:)

Elssa, I'm so pleased you liked the second piece. I love "How Are Things In Gloca Mora." I have the sheet music and had transposed the key of the long intro and was considering using it as an intro to Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral, before I turned the latter into a more modern meditation.

Starr keys - that is really quiet beautiful, your musicality shines through, and played with one hand , remarkable. How much of this is improvisation ? I am not sure about calling it Jazz improvisation ( we could start a whole debate about that one)but you should be proud of this, very well done.
Oh and I didn't notice a loss of focus, it all flows beautifully.

Jazzpt -- You made made my day! No, it wasn't strictly speaking an improvisation. I did memorize several things and had an overall structural design for the piece, but there were places where I only had a general idea of what I was going to do and let go and didn't do something specifically planned. I was pleased I could do that and still find my way back to or into maintaining the melody. What I meant about losing focus towards the end was it was the one place where I played what I considered too many notes trying to find my way back to the melody before the final run. (I'm glad to hear you thought it all flowed despite this:). I just felt I took more risks than any other piece I've done, and the fact that jazz players (what I call "jazz" anyway) of your and Inlander's caliber liked it did make me feel proud indeed.
Posted By: jazztpt Re: March Piano Bar - 03/23/12 07:31 PM

I did memorize several things and had an overall structural design for the piece, but there were places where I only had a general idea of what I was going to do and let go and didn't do something specifically planned.

Starr Keys - I reckon that's pretty much how most people do it(I know I do), I doubt very many create everything on the fly , apart from the real geniuses that is. Listened to your piece a couple more times, love the bit that starts at 37sec. Look forward to hearing some more.
Posted By: Starr Keys Re: March Piano Bar - 03/23/12 09:19 PM

I did memorize several things and had an overall structural design for the piece, but there were places where I only had a general idea of what I was going to do and let go and didn't do something specifically planned.

Starr Keys - I reckon that's pretty much how most people do it(I know I do), I doubt very many create everything on the fly , apart from the real geniuses that is. Listened to your piece a couple more times, love the bit that starts at 37sec. Look forward to hearing some more.

Interesting! That was a place where I had a general idea but it never really came together until the event of this recording which was captured on my dp's built in tape recorder, and which was one of the reasons I basically said the heck with it and didn't bother to try to do a video.

Posted By: Newman Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/12 05:17 AM
I learnt this a little while ago, originally because it was good chord exercise for me. Now I've captured it and listened back to it, it's a bit 'plonkety-plonk' - but fun (I think).

PS I do learn songs other than Beatles songs. If you look closely you will see that Blue Moon comes after this one in my song book.
Posted By: Elssa Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/12 05:17 AM
Wow! Elssa, watching you ride those keys in Love Letters in the Sand is like watching an expert surfer ride the waves that leave those letters in the sand.

Thanks again, Starr.. I think it's all about keeping the flow, which you do beautifully - jazzy harmonies without losing the melody. Just catch the wave... smile

WAVE (Jobim)

Posted By: Teodor Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/12 01:30 PM
A little song we put together after our last concert with a friend of mine. It's not too good but it was fun, I feel like my singing is getting a bit better but I still can't relax and let my voice out most of the time but I have been having some good moments! The guy on the piano is a pop & jazz singing major in the conservatory, he'd probably sing it better than me if he tried laugh

Posted By: jotur Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/12 03:46 PM
Sigh, I don't get over here nearly enough, but Glen, that Man I Love was wonderful -

Cathy
Posted By: Starr Keys Re: March Piano Bar - 03/24/12 05:07 PM
Captain K - It's too late for me to play guitar for 40+ years in preparation to learn piano, but the accelerated skill your singing seems to have produced by helping you connect to the keyboard has helped convince me to take the time on developing my voice. You literally don't miss a beat.

Elssa - Perfect introduction and musical example of your encouraging advice! This is one of my favorite Jobim songs and I loved your arrangement and the South American rhythm you added, taking it back to its roots. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Elssa Re: March Piano Bar - 03/25/12 04:13 AM
Thanks so much, Starr. smile I really enjoy those Latin rhythms, Bossa Nova, etc. Well, wish me luck... I've just signed up for ballroom dancing lessons with a focus on Latin dances.. Last time I took ballroom lessons was about 25 years ago at the Y in NYC, so I'm very rusty. Remembering what trouble I had with the Rumba back then, beautiful as it is, as well as other things.. oh well, should be fun anyway hopefully. My feet seem to have more trouble than my hands - bad ankles. grin Hope your elbow is feeling much better now.
Posted By: Starr Keys Re: March Piano Bar - 03/25/12 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by Elssa
Thanks so much, Starr. smile I really enjoy those Latin rhythms, Bossa Nova, etc. Well, wish me luck... I've just signed up for ballroom dancing lessons with a focus on Latin dances.. Last time I took ballroom lessons was about 25 years ago at the Y in NYC, so I'm very rusty. Remembering what trouble I had with the Rumba back then, beautiful as it is, as well as other things.. oh well, should be fun anyway hopefully. My feet seem to have more trouble than my hands - bad ankles. grin Hope your elbow is feeling much better now.

Good luck! Sounds like a lot of fun. My husband and I have talked about doing that for years, but we have more trouble with our feet then our hands too (and I'm still having more trouble with one of those--thanks for your well wishes). Maybe you will inspire us. smile
Posted By: casinitaly Re: March Piano Bar - 03/26/12 07:43 AM
I treated myself to a evening of music last night and jotted some notes as I was listening...then was too tired to write them up properly... smile

Thanks for a lovely relaxing Sunday evening folks!

Ladypayne: Your performance of Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring was really lovely. _The score is very modern in some ways, yet still faithful to the spirit of the original – you show great steadiness in your playing which I envy! I thoroughly enjoyed your variation on Heart and Soul, that was great fun indeed!

Glen- Inlanding – I enjoyed your April8-004 – the music was delicate, and slightly reminiscent of a “music box” without being cutesy or cloying. Most enjoyable. The Man I love – soothing and I could hear the lyrics as you played! Small Minor is a favourite of mine,without a doubt. I also enjoyed your “bit of blues”. You have a real talent and it is always a pleasure to hear what you are working on .

BillM – Always a Woman – I’m a Billy Joel fan from way back – I very much enjoyed this – and your Daydream Believer was another trip down memory lane. I was one of the starry-eyed teens with a crush on Davy Jones – this was a lovely memorial tribute. Danny Boy has to be one of my favourite songs to sing – in fact the only one I’ve had the nerve to do at a karaoke event! I really liked your version of the score – a truly super hat trick!

Amaruk – Your Ave Maria was lovely indeed (and the video was fun – I liked the snowmen singing jinglebells  ) – The Galloway Cannon in D was a delight. The Cannon in D is in my top 3 of all pieces of music I love to listen to and your performance was moving. Yes, there were a few little glitches, but not many and I’m sure you’ll have them worked out in no time – the rest was so very good!

Elssa – You’ve been busy! I was fascinated watching your hands in the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto theme! Sleeping Beauty, Exodus, Can’t help loving Dat man, Windmills of your Mind, Wave--- so many familiar and well loved pieces played so well.

Augustina – Hua De Wixiao – What a charming , delicate and soothing piece. I could picture misty mountains as you played. I am really enjoying the selection of Chinese compositions you’ve been playing lately. (and congratulations on holding your focus while your kitten was getting up to tricks!)

Studio Joe – Gone with the Wind – I just loved this piece – I loved the hint of Spanish flavour and found it very very moving. There is real heart in this music.

Beechcraft409 – Good for you! I enjoyed your camera angles, that was fun – but of course the real treat was the music. I know how much work has gone into getting this piece up to speed and I want to thank you for introducing it to me – I just loved listening and particularly enjoyed seeing how smoothly you got over that deadly triplet-quintuplet section!

Larry Larson – Ledwig Van Zepplinhovin. Well, I hope that’s not the last we’ve seen of that lad  I enjoyed your Blue Smoke piece – some very interesting tone combinations in that piece and I especially liked the bass that started up just after the 1 min mark.

Jazzpt – your I loves you Porgy was mournful and rich – very evocative!

Little Blue Engine – more accordion – that was fun.

Lady Chen – I have always liked Holy Holy Holy. I listened to both versions you played, and while they both had good things going for them, I found the second more somber – I preferred the Kelsey version and the full majesty I heard in it .

Jazzwee – Footprints – Wow, that’s very impressive for on the spot work. It sounds like this was a wonderful session for you on many levels.

Saucermance – I enjoyed that very much! You have a very light touch in this piece that seemed very appropriate.

Trapper John – I loved your Waltz, and I think it is quite something that you were able to put together your own intro. Well done indeed!

Rickster - Loved your blues. But really, can it be the blues when it sounds (and looks) like you are having so much fun? Great stuff!

Polyphasicpianist – I enjoyed the Bertin piece very much – It is new to me and really caught my attention. The Bartok piece was also interesting – and thank you for the warning about the volume! I listen with a headset so it was good to be prepared!

Teodor – great music – and what fun to hear you singing! You really are in the right programme now, aren’t you?

StarrKeys – 4 Leaf Clover, and your first jazz improve (with one hand no less!) Good for you. (I hope your mother’s surgery went well, best wishes for her healing.)

CaptainKawai – Hasten down the Wind – Wonderfully done! I don’t know the name of the second piece you played, but I think you did a super job. Your voice really suits both of these pieces. Both were great listening pleasure!

Posted By: Newman Re: March Piano Bar - 03/28/12 07:13 AM
Thanks Casinitaly. FYI The second piece is 'Being for the benefit of Mr Kite' a Beatles song (written by John Lennon) on the Sgt Pepper album.
Posted By: TrapperJohn Re: March Piano Bar - 03/28/12 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by casinitaly

Trapper John – I loved your Waltz, and I think it is quite something that you were able to put together your own intro. Well done indeed!

Thanks Cheryl - but the intro was nothing especially creative - it's just several of the earlier measures of the piece played a little more slowly and dramatically - this is, however, slightly different from the very typical practice of using the last phrase of a piece as an intro - glad you liked it all though.

Trap
Posted By: Augustina Re: March Piano Bar - 03/28/12 04:08 PM
Elssa The Sleeping Beauty Waltz- SO pretty!:) Awesome!
Can't Help Loving Dat Man - another cool piece! Your cat was just making sure she got in at the last minute!:)
The Windmills of Your Mind- Another enjoyable to piece to listen to! At first I wasn't sure I knew the song.. Now That I listened to it. I'm sure I have heard it somewhere.. Not sure where..
your other pieces are good to!:)
Beechcraft409- Waltz in A minor- wow! That was really good! really enjoyable to listen to:P

Larry Larson - What fun! Nice job on both pieces!

Jazztpt- You are right. It is a pretty piece:) very relaxing to listen to!:)

Inlanding- Small Minor- Very nice!:)
Man I love- another relaxing piece to listen to! thanks for sharing this:)

LadyPayne- Heart and Soul- Very cool!:P

LadyChen- One of my favorite Hymns! I really like this arrangment. You played it beautifully!:)
I think I like the second arrangement better actually! Both are played very well!

Jazzwee- What fun!:P Very nice!:P

Saucermancer- Always With Me- What a happy tune! I thought you played this piece well:P

TrapperJohn- Watlz in B Minor- You played this piece very well. It was very relaxing to listen to this morning:P

Polyphasicpianist- Awesome job on both pieces!:)

Teodor- I love The Final Fantasy X Music. So pretty! Great playing!:)
Your singing is good! Nice job on both pieces:P

BillM-Danny Boy- one of my favorite songs- very well done smile

Amaruk- I think I like your AP version:P A very nice piano!:P Both are played very nicely:)

CaptainKawai- Hasten Down the Wind- A very good singing voice! smile Hope to hear you singing more:P Well played!

Being for the benefit of Mr.Kite- Once again. You sing so good!:) It is a fun little piece indeed;P
Rickster- I was thinking I haven't heard from you in awhile:) You always make me smile when I listen to you singing and playing. You always seem to be having fun! What a fun song!^_^

Starr Keys- I'm looking over a Four Leaf Clover- I love the set ups you do for different pieces! Very enjoyable to listen to:P
Too Ra Loo Ra Loo- Ral-Nice!very pretty.

Whew I think I got everyone? Also thank you all for the kind comments on my pieces;)
Posted By: Augustina Re: March Piano Bar - 03/28/12 05:28 PM
I've been learning chords at my piano lessons.. So I thought I'd try and come up with my own arrangement of a song:P So here it is..
Loch Lomond

http://www.box.com/s/12df50399ad92b662c77

There are plenty of hesitations still and I'm not entirely sure if I got the some of the chords right.. smile don't mind the background noise as well^_^
Posted By: Starr Keys Re: March Piano Bar - 03/28/12 10:59 PM

Thanks, Casinitaly. My mom's surgery was postponed after what seemed to turn into a 3 hour biopsy--not quite sure why, something to do with something they found in lungs they didn't expect which they need to clear out first. Now she has a bad cold, so we're waiting for doctor to call with the next step. She was feeling well enough to call me this morning to tell me she listened to my song and liked it, though.:)

Thanks, Augustina. I enjoy the visuals on your videos, too. I think getting creative with them helps motivate me to finish the song so I can show them off. lol
Posted By: beechcraft409 Re: March Piano Bar - 03/28/12 11:29 PM
I want to give a BIG "Thank you" to all who have commented on my submission. I am glad to be able to share with y'all. I feel bad that I haven't had much time to listen to others, I have been real busy lately. I have been traveling a lot, and when not doing that, have been getting slammed at school. I will try to make a point to listen to this month's submissions before the month ends!

To whoever asked about the camera angles: I used my laptop's webcam to capture the side shot, and my cell phone hanging from a string to get the top view. I ran the audio stream straight into the laptop, using only one audio source for the final vid, and clipped different portions from the two video sources.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: saucermancer Re: March Piano Bar - 03/29/12 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Saucermance – I enjoyed that very much! You have a very light touch in this piece that seemed very appropriate.

Thanks! It wasn't easy to get that light touch though, had to keep practicing! smile

Originally Posted by Augustina

Saucermancer- Always With Me- What a happy tune! I thought you played this piece well:P

Thank you! laugh
Posted By: TheodorN Re: March Piano Bar - 03/29/12 01:51 AM
Nice playing beechcraft409, and an interesting solution for the positioning of the cell phone camera. Just shows how you can do with what you have, without getting an extra camcorder or video camera.

I have now three devices that can record in HD, a webcam, a cell phone and a digital camera. None of these produce good enough sound, but then again the sound of the DP is not perfect. Still I won't be getting a Zoom H2 anytime soon.

Hope I will be able to view more performances, been busy as well in my studies.
Posted By: Elssa Re: March Piano Bar - 03/30/12 04:27 AM
Thanks, CasinItaly and Augustina for your kind comments! smile

Augustina: Your Loch Lomond was a very bonny tune and arrangement.. great job with the chords! thumb

Well, here's another pretty classical theme..hope you enjoy.

The Swan (Saint-Saens)

Posted By: jotur Re: March Piano Bar - 03/30/12 04:43 AM
Starr Keys - what a great job you did with Too-Ra-loo-ra-loo-ra. Nice to listen to, and I can't help but think that even tho it's probably a PITA right now, playing with only your left hand is going to boost your other arranging skills by leaps and bounds down the road. Really good work.

Cathy
Posted By: Chris G Re: March Piano Bar - 03/31/12 05:13 AM
I'm joining this thread at the tail end since I have not been able to get as much PW time as usual this month. I haven't had time to listen to everything yet but I like what I've seen so far.

Augustina - nice job of harmonizing the verses in Loch Lomond - I liked how on the second repeat you made the chords denser.

Elssa - I liked all of your submissions but especially the Jobim piece. It made me wish that I was on a tropical beach right now.

Captain Kawai - that took me back - I bought Sergeant Peppers when it first came out, nice rendition.

Starr Keys - great choice for St Patrick's day and well played.

Inlanding - I liked your bluesy cut - it sounded like a jazzy blues to me but whatever it was it was really good. I also liked the original piece.

Rickster - way to go with the boogie woogie piano. The piano would have been great on it's own but when you add the vocals that was over the top.

Teodor - nice sensitive playing on the piano piece.

Bill M - I can tell that you really felt the lyrics on the Billy Joel song and your piano playing supported the vocals really well.

Posted By: jazzwee Re: March Piano Bar - 03/31/12 05:57 AM
Before this thread disappears for the month, let me just say thanks to all the nice words from everyone. Just got too busy so I haven't been able to check back in.`
Posted By: Inlanding Re: March Piano Bar - 03/31/12 08:51 AM
Thank you all so much for the kind comments. Lots of great music this month!

KC~ Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite was great! I am always singing along with you as you play with all the Beatles tunes you bring to the mix.

Elssa~ So glad you brought Wave back to the Bar. I am a huge Jobim fan. Your version of Swan was very nice. I love it played on the cello.

Teodor~ Very cute lyrics. Next time, more voice and less keyboard. Nice going - keep on singing'!

Loch Lomond~ "Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road". I like this old, traditional Scottish song.

Here's a noodle called End of the Week
http://www.box.com/s/64f2fcbae25b5d5811c2

Glen
Posted By: Starr Keys Re: March Piano Bar - 03/31/12 08:59 AM

Thank you Jotur and Chris G!

Cathy, I am consoled and encouraged by the progress I seem to have made with my left hand. And the support and encouragement I received from you and others in this thread has helped give me the confidence I needed to think about doing more jazz stylings and improvisation and to post in the April Bar.
Posted By: Sand Tiger Re: March Piano Bar - 03/31/12 05:29 PM
I recently joined the forum, recently started playing. I spent some time listening and watching the entries on this thread. Wow, there is a lot of talent on this forum.

Maybe next month after I practice more, I'll upload something.

Thanks to all for sharing your talents.
Posted By: Starr Keys Re: March Piano Bar - 04/01/12 03:53 AM

Augustina, I almost missed your Loch Lomand! You really got those block chords down, and I enjoyed the rest of the arrangement too. I thought it was particularly creative how you blended it with the "spinning song" your sister did.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums