Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions

Posted by: AB Forum Recital

Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 07/31/12 11:19 PM

Recital #27 is now open for submissions!

Believe it or not, our 27th quarterly Piano World Adult Beginners Forum recital approaches! smile The recital will be posted some time on the 15th of August, which means that the submissions must be in by 9:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time, August 14. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you. heart

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate, as that works best with the online streaming player. At that bitrate, a 20 MB file works out to be about 7 minutes in length. Your recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent free recording application that can be used.

Submitting Your Recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/

and follow the instructions there. Please note that this URL reflects our new permanent home for all the recital files. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital software, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the new website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, you may want to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it.

The recital website uses the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, what you had for lunch, etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 9:00 pm US EASTERN DAYLIGHT TIME on August 14, 2012.

Did I mention that the 9:00 pm deadline was firm?

Think "consistency of concrete." smokin

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is a recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital order will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should anyone have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, this is the place to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems. Please ask away! smile

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music! thumb
Posted by: wouter79

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 07/31/12 11:24 PM

I just woke up in the middle of the night, saw that it's open and Woot! In at place 1 again??!
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 07/31/12 11:30 PM

Next time, though, Wouter, I won't make the mistake of opening the recital before posting the Call For Submissions. smokin

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 07/31/12 11:34 PM

Ah, ok nice, thanks for that!

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 07/31/12 11:36 PM

And Monica, you have the luxury to post at any place you want. What place do you pick this time?

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 07/31/12 11:44 PM

Monica I see a few small issues

(1) if I use a è in my title of the submitted piece (pièces de clavecin), I get to see weird characters

(2) I already see this recital on the list of closed recitals (http://recitals.pianoworld.com/closed-recitals.php) and also in the wrong place (between 25 and 26)
Posted by: BenPiano

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/01/12 12:56 AM

In at no 4 this time. I recorded this a few weeks ago and was hoping to record something a little more recent, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen this summer...

(*shakes fist at beautiful summer weather spoiling my practice and recording sessions!!)

grin
Posted by: jazzwee

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/01/12 01:09 AM

I guess I gave you my spot Ben. I changed my mind on my submission at the last moment and submitted something else.
Posted by: DadAgain

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/01/12 01:55 AM

twin Bach submissions from me and daughter....

We have a recording of daughter - but will try for a better one as it has lots of dog 'tap dancing on wooden floor' noise in the background! My contribution is yet to be recorded - but will be soon!

(I have a sneaking suspicion I'm about to be upstaged as Bach is very much my 'weak' suit and daughters 'strong' suit!)
Posted by: sinophilia

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/01/12 03:16 AM

Okay, I did it, I submitted a super short very tentative recording! This morning I tried to record it again to improve the dynamics and add the repeat part, but I couldn't hit a right key for the life of me! I still don't know how I managed to get a single decent recording.

Please bear with me, I've been plink plonking on the keyboard for less than 6 months. There are a few other pieces that I seem to be able to play from start to end but the Red Dot still gives me the shivers!
Posted by: CarlosCC

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/01/12 04:38 AM

Ok, I'm in! I sended a piece of Helen Jane Long.
This time I wasn't deeply "in love" with the piece but I wanted to do a (short!) break in my studies of Einaudi.
Posted by: Sam Rose

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/01/12 05:01 AM

Not sure I'm going to get in this time. I've just been far too busy frown

I'll try to submit something short and sweet if I have the time.
Posted by: Sam S

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/01/12 08:43 AM

I am in at #17. There is always this burst of submissions when the recital first opens - it's great to see how eager people are to share their performances.

Sam

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/01/12 08:48 AM

Originally Posted By: wouter79
Monica I see a few small issues

(1) if I use a è in my title of the submitted piece (pièces de clavecin), I get to see weird characters

(2) I already see this recital on the list of closed recitals (http://recitals.pianoworld.com/closed-recitals.php) and also in the wrong place (between 25 and 26)

(1) Yeah, international symbols give the software some problems. I'm not able to fix that.

(2) The recital is very much open, as attested by our 17 submitted pieces thus far. Don't sweat it. smile

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/01/12 08:57 AM

And Monica, you have the luxury to post at any place you want. What place do you pick this time?

Probably dead last, as it doesn't look like I'll have time to do a recording session before going out of town. grin

You are absolutely correct that I have an unfair advantage in that I, and I alone, know exactly when the recital will open. For that reason, I deliberately refrain from submitting my recordings first, even on the occasions I'm actually ready. I started managing the recitals with #7, and you can go back through numbers 7-26 and see where I've placed if you want to double-check.

I feel everybody but the admin should have an equal shot at making it in for number 1, which is why I tweaked you for submitting before the call for submissions was posted--and why I'll make sure to close that loophole in the future.
Posted by: notbach

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/01/12 11:45 AM

I've decided (or rather had decided for me) to try a new challenge. I'm going to start, practice, and record a new piece in the next two weeks. I've been doing a LOT of sight reading over the last couple of months and haven't focused on any new pieces.

Nothing like a deadline to focus the attention!
Posted by: casinitaly

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/01/12 03:04 PM

Ok, I am in. I couldn't listen to check my piece / Monica, I have sent you and email to ask if you would kindly verify that it is ok, and if not, to help me out.

Thanks again, and always to Monica for her efforts and to all the others who have worked and contributed to make these recitals the great success they are!!!

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/01/12 03:48 PM

>and you can go back through numbers 7-26 and see where I've placed if you want to double-check.

Thanks, I don't feel any need to check you. On the contrary, as admin you are doing all the hard work. If anybody deserves to end up 1 a few times it would be you right?

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/01/12 05:18 PM

Your recording uploaded fine, casinitaly. Good to go! thumb

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/02/12 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Thanks again, and always to Monica for her efforts and to all the others who have worked and contributed to make these recitals the great success they are!!!

+1 smile
Posted by: Mr Super-Hunky

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/02/12 12:31 AM

Well mines in at #6. I was going to submit the Metallica tune I've been working on but it's not ready as I decided to go a different way with the piece at the last minute. So I went with the Paul Stookey tune instead. Cover version of course.

Now all this talk about 'top spot' placement makes me think that maybe the very top spots should be reserved for anyone who really has a stellar performance in store or has reached some sort of performance milestone.

Just a thought.

I know in the past that certain performances of mine were just okay and I wouldn't mind being further down the list while others I tried to get into the upper spots.

It seems a lot of skipping around is done to almost make the top submissions seem irrelevant anyway. Plus, everyone has there favorites and wouldn't miss them no matter what order the submission. Still, the top spots could have some special meaning associated with them. Sort of like "employee of the month parking" in a way.

Any thoughts?
Posted by: jotur

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/02/12 02:08 AM

"employee of the month parking" - I knew I was missing out by being a contractor frown

I've never figured out the "in at #1" stuff for those who are serious about it. I mean, as a joke, I understand - calling "neener neener" to the rest of us - that makes sense laugh But to actually care? I don't get it.

The only thing it does for those who care, as far as I can tell, is get most of their reviews in in the first week or so. But since pretty much everyone gets reviewed a pretty good number of times in the end, and it's fun (to me, anyway) to read the reviews of other people's submissions, well, I can wait.

But I may misunderstand those who care smile But if I'm ever first it'll be neener neener for the next two weeks! laugh

Cathy

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/02/12 04:54 AM

Originally Posted By: jotur
(...)But since pretty much everyone gets reviewed a pretty good number of times in the end (...)

I was thinking about that - a pretty good number - so I did a quick resume of the last recital:
- 26th recital Participants: 50
- Comments: 19 (*)
(*) counting only the comments on my piece.

I think 19/50 is a good number of reviews but I wonder why there isn't more participants doing individual comments. The fact is that everyone gets reviewed but not everyone makes a review.
(I'm not complaining! I know that there are no rules or obligations, and so it should be!)

ABF recitals are a unique experience for me, and most of the improvements I've got came from the work I do for them. So, the order I appear in the list is not important. I just mark the 1st day of each ABF Recital as a deadline to submit my piece. That's why I'm usualy in the front line.
Posted by: SwissMS

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/02/12 06:04 AM

I agree with you CarlosCC, the AFB recitals are a unique experience. The effort to polish a piece enough for a recording to share with others teaches a lot. I also have improved from that experience.

As far as comments go, like many others here, I comment on everyone's submission- but then I am retired so I have the time to do so. Others may not have that luxury of time.
Posted by: TrapperJohn

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/02/12 07:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
Well mines in at #6. ... I decided to go a different way with the piece at the last minute. So I went with the Paul Stookey tune instead. Cover version of course.

"There is Love" - Excellent selection Hunky!

Are you doing a vocal version of this? - would really like to hear that - if not, will you include the highly meaningful lyrics in the info section?

There's an old but captivating video of Paul doing this live in concert on YouTube - check it out...
-------------------------------------------------------------

Also noticed that kenjazz is submitting his take on the beautiful and soulful pop tune "A House is Not a Home" - anxious to hear this too - there's a 7 minute version of this on YT by a young Luther Vandross at an awards show...an amazing performance...

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/02/12 08:35 AM

For me, the comments are nice, but not what the recitals are all about. What is important is the whole process of preparing a piece for performance (against a deadline), overcoming the terror of recording, and battling shyness and the fear of exposure to actually present the piece in a public forum.

The comments, which are overwhelmingly feel good and supportive, are welcome proof that someone actually took the time to listen to my playing.

Like most things in life, it's about the journey, not the destination. It's about all the work that goes on preparing and presenting the music. Having someone listen to and comment on the music is a nice reward, but not the major benefit.

When I do the statistics after the recital goes live, and look at the number of participants and the history of the recital, I am always struck by how fragile it all seems. We are very lucky that it has continued as long as it has with so much success.

Sam
Posted by: Recaredo

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/02/12 09:46 AM

Well, the good thing: I’m in.

The bad thing: I can’t wait to listen to the recital!!! smile
Posted by: Inlanding

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/02/12 10:19 AM

Originally Posted By: BenPiano
Originally Posted By: casinitaly

+1 smile

Hear hear - Thank you, Monica!

Glen
Posted by: Peyton

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/02/12 11:18 AM

"employee of the month parking" - I knew I was missing out by being a contractor frown

I've never figured out the "in at #1" stuff for those who are serious about it. I mean, as a joke, I understand - calling "neener neener" to the rest of us - that makes sense laugh But to actually care? I don't get it.

The only thing it does for those who care, as far as I can tell, is get most of their reviews in in the first week or so. But since pretty much everyone gets reviewed a pretty good number of times in the end, and it's fun (to me, anyway) to read the reviews of other people's submissions, well, I can wait.

But I may misunderstand those who care smile But if I'm ever first it'll be neener neener for the next two weeks! laugh

Cathy

I actually make a point of never starting with the first entries. In fact I try to go to some of the last entries first. Of course these days I just can't comment on all of them like I used to... just not enough time to do them all justice and I hate just doing a cursory comment.
Posted by: Peyton

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/02/12 11:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Sam S
For me, the comments are nice, but not what the recitals are all about. What is important is the whole process of preparing a piece for performance (against a deadline), overcoming the terror of recording, and battling shyness and the fear of exposure to actually present the piece in a public forum.

The comments, which are overwhelmingly feel good and supportive, are welcome proof that someone actually took the time to listen to my playing.

Like most things in life, it's about the journey, not the destination. It's about all the work that goes on preparing and presenting the music. Having someone listen to and comment on the music is a nice reward, but not the major benefit.

When I do the statistics after the recital goes live, and look at the number of participants and the history of the recital, I am always struck by how fragile it all seems. We are very lucky that it has continued as long as it has with so much success.

Sam

For me, more than anything, the recitals force me to take at least one of the pieces I'm working on seriously. Without them I really don't know if I would be recording myself. The comments are always great too. I feel like I'm part of a like minded family.
Posted by: Mr Super-Hunky

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/03/12 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn

"There is Love" - Excellent selection Hunky!

Are you doing a vocal version of this? - would really like to hear that - if not, will you include the highly meaningful lyrics in the info section?

There's an old but captivating video of Paul doing this live in concert on YouTube - check it out...[/quote]

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sorry TJ but I know nothing of the background of this tune. I just heard it on the radio and recognized the beauty of the melody. While the lyrics of a song appeal to many, it is the melody of a beautiful piece that appeals to me most.

This 'song' (since it originally had/has words) does have meaningful lyrics but it was the melody that struck me most.

I applied the usual Super Hunky conversion so you will be getting the usual butchered up, solo piano, Readers Digest version only;...NO singing!

Purists will cringe a little but that's okay because deep down I think part of them likes it. I mean why not?, it's cheap entertainment after all.
Posted by: MaryBee

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/03/12 12:45 AM

I'm literally working triple-time trying to prepare my piece for this recital. With 7 weeks off from lessons earlier this summer, I didn't make a whole lot of progress on it. Then when we finally got back to it, my teacher told me that if I wanted to get it in shape for mid-August I'd have to spend much more of my practice time on it than I had been. So my other pieces are being neglected right now, but I just might have this one ready to record by next weekend.

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/03/12 08:39 AM

Just fyi... I'll be out of town until the 11th. I'll be able to check my email on my phone but may not be able to troubleshoot any uploading problems until after I get back. I don't anticipate any difficulties, though, as this is the third time we've done the recital with the new servers and everything is going smoothly so far.

But just in case you're the exception, don't panic. We will get you straightened out. smile
Posted by: Mar_red

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/05/12 06:58 AM

I'm in but two times ...

Monica, HELP !

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/05/12 09:54 AM

Not to worry. I'll delete the duplicate entry when I get home. smile

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/06/12 11:45 PM

I'm in. Wow! It's only the 6th! Usually it's the 14th. So I'll be a little past the middle instead of competing for dead last laugh

How nice it will be not to be in last minute rush. I may try this more often.

Looking forward to seeing the last 30 or so entries and then listening to everyone.

Cathy

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/07/12 01:07 AM

Quote:
12. Recaredo (Ricardo) - Piano sonata No 25 Op 79. Second movement. (Ludwig van Beethoven)

I can't wait to hear your interpretation!

I had this movement (recently) on my "next to learn" list. It's still there in the pile on my floor (that's my next to learn list), but it was superseded by more pressing (and easier) material! laugh

A subtle nudge might just bring this to the top of the pile of sheet music once again! smile

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/07/12 08:09 AM

The "Phantom" eek and I are in at No. 36...

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/07/12 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: BenPiano
Quote:
12. Recaredo (Ricardo) - Piano sonata No 25 Op 79. Second movement. (Ludwig van Beethoven)

I can't wait to hear your interpretation!

I had this movement (recently) on my "next to learn" list. It's still there in the pile on my floor (that's my next to learn list), but it was superseded by more pressing (and easier) material! laugh

A subtle nudge might just bring this to the top of the pile of sheet music once again! smile

Hi Ben!

This movement is short, but it moves between drama and epic on a very effective way. I’m sure you’ll enjoy playing it wink .
Posted by: Andy Platt

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/07/12 10:30 PM

If you start recording, stop after a single measure, start again without pressing stop on the recorder, does it still count as take #1?! wink

Anyway, in at 38 ....

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/07/12 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
If you start recording, stop after a single measure, start again without pressing stop on the recorder, does it still count as take #1?! wink

Anyway, in at 38 ....

Well, I've done essentially that when I was playing live, so it seems like take 1 to me! At any rate, it certainly isn't outside the realm of what happens at a real gig or recital. At least at *my* gigs/recitals. Let's hear it for take #1!

Cathy

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/08/12 12:15 PM

Well, I've done essentially that when I was playing live, so it seems like take 1 to me! At any rate, it certainly isn't outside the realm of what happens at a real gig or recital. At least at *my* gigs/recitals. Let's hear it for take #1!

Cathy

Yup, but you don't get to edit that bad measure out with the live gig ... unless you have mind powers that you haven't told us about!

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/08/12 02:01 PM

smile

laugh

Cathy
Posted by: Copper

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/08/12 03:15 PM

I'm in, a week early, very early for me.

Actually it is a piece I planned on using for 3 or 4 recitals and never got it done, so maybe it is a year late. Either way, no more red dot for a while.

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/09/12 04:40 AM

Wow, we've got 41 submissions already. I'm looking forward to hearing you all in 5 days, 20 hours, 20 minutes and 55 seconds smile
Posted by: WiseBuff

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/09/12 08:24 AM

Aarrgg. I'm not happy with anything I'm working on today. Maybe I'll skip this one. We'll see this weekend.
Posted by: RedKat

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/09/12 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: WiseBuff
Aarrgg. I'm not happy with anything I'm working on today. Maybe I'll skip this one. We'll see this weekend.

Same here. I am not sure I will be able to get it right before the deadline frown

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/09/12 02:53 PM

Hey, happy birthday, Carlos!! smile

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/09/12 03:17 PM

Happy birthday, Carlos! Have a beautiful day!
Posted by: dannylux

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/09/12 05:53 PM

Happy Birthday, Carlos.

Mel

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/10/12 04:17 AM

Thanks for your kind words!
After we went out for dinner, my day ended with me playing piano for my dear wife. It was a good day.
Posted by: IreneAdler

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/10/12 01:26 PM

I was hoping to submit a piece for this recital; but I am totally new to recording pieces and don't really know how where to start. I tried Audacity program but it did not work out at all, the recordings were terrible. Does anybody else have some suggestions? Thanks!
Posted by: Starr Keys

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/10/12 01:51 PM

Hi Irene,
I've used a similar program to audacity (ACID) and also a Presonus box which allows you to plug a microphone to USB in your computer. I had trouble with the software of both programs, especially the latter. I finally bit the bullet and traded them in for a more convenient technology, the seemingly most popular one around here, a handheld Zoom audio recorder. I bought one with video recording capability but you can get one for half the price without. Here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H1-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B003QKBVYK
Posted by: Amaruk

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/10/12 02:37 PM

Irene,
I second StarrKeys suggestion to look at the Zoom line of mic/recorders. I have a Zoom H2 and it works great. No cables, no computer, it is great.

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/10/12 06:05 PM

This recital I did it with Audacity.
I plugged a cable from my piano (phones output) to my PC (audio in). It works fine.

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/10/12 08:15 PM

Sand Tiger - I see you're in at 42 with "Ashokan Farewell" & I'm anxious to hear your rendition of this gorgeous Jay Unger tune from "The Civil War" - I did this for a Recital several years ago and just yesterday dug out the sheet music again to revisit it and to see if I could improve on my previous version. Love this piece...
Posted by: Newman

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/10/12 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Starr Keys
...a handheld Zoom audio recorder. ..Here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H1-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B003QKBVYK

So that's what the Zoom is. I wondered. My submission was only recorded on a phone (and sounds like it.
Posted by: LizAnne

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/10/12 09:41 PM

I want to submit, but my piece sounds terrible. frown I can hit all the notes (most of the time), but I can't seem to make it sound decent. *sigh* Can't wait for lessons to start up again in a month!!
Posted by: Bobpickle

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/11/12 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: IreneAdler
I was hoping to submit a piece for this recital; but I am totally new to recording pieces and don't really know how where to start. I tried Audacity program but it did not work out at all, the recordings were terrible. Does anybody else have some suggestions? Thanks!

I use audacity for all of my recording projects and it records my piano's sounds perfectly - despite the quality of the sounds themselves being less than perfect. Make sure the audio input selection is set for stereo input and not mono as that makes a worlds difference. Aside from that, the only advice is to use a line input port on the computer if available, otherwise a headphones port suffices.
Posted by: Sand Tiger

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/11/12 04:11 AM

IreneAdler, I had a terrible time trying to record with my computer. I tried various microphones, various programs. I eventually ended up buying a Sony voice recorder, and was much happier. Another big plus is the ability to do field recording.

For the past eight years, I have used a Sony ST25 voice recorder. I just bought a used Sony ICD-PX312. The Sonys are less money and not as good for music as the Zooms (which seem the most popular on this forum), and the Tascams, but are fine for my purposes. Especially for field recording which is my main use, the limitations from room acoustics and background noise are often more significant than the device.

TrapperJohn, thank you for the comments on Ashokan Farewell. Those that have followed my reports on the Achievement of the Week thread, know that I have spent a lot of time and energy on the piece. As a five month piano beginner it has been a long hill climb. After 14 weeks, and over 25 recording takes, having something to upload is a positive.

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/11/12 03:09 PM

My mp3 is ready for the recital, but I still need to edit the video as I'm trying to do something more thematically complex with Sony Vega this time. It just occurred to me this morning that I could probably submit the mp3 and and add the Youtube later. Has anyone had any experience with this? I think Monica said she was going to be away starting today, so if anyone has done this kind of update, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Posted by: hawgdriver

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/11/12 03:39 PM

Clearly I've been out of it. I just noticed the call for submissions, and I thought, already??

But already, the window is about to close. Wow. Like they say in that commercial: Life comes at you fast.

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/11/12 03:48 PM

My mp3 is ready for the recital, but I still need to edit the video as I'm trying to do something more thematically complex with Sony Vega this time. It just occurred to me this morning that I could probably submit the mp3 and and add the Youtube later. Has anyone had any experience with this? I think Monica said she was going to be away starting today, so if anyone has done this kind of update, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Yes, you can add a video link after you make your mp3 submission without losing your place in line. It's just like editing the text of your submission - you don't lose your place then either. You only drop to the bottom if you change the mp3 recording.

Sam

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/11/12 04:11 PM

Thanks, Sam. I really appreciate the response smile

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/11/12 05:08 PM

P.S. Thanks to you I'm number 43 this time in stead of #58 smile

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/11/12 08:02 PM

I think Monica said she was going to be away starting today, so if anyone has done this kind of update, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Actually today is the day I am getting back from my trip. smile And it seems like the recital managed to chug along fine without me, as we are up to a nice number of submissions already with a few days left to go.
Posted by: CMohr

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/11/12 10:19 PM

I'm finally in at #44! Yay! Not completely happy with my recording, but heck, there's a couple days left, right? Looks like I'm right after some good company! (Starrkeys).

I am so looking forward to listening to everyone!
Posted by: ClavBoy

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/12/12 03:03 AM

Just uploaded my try on the Bach Prelude BWV 846. I had to choose between a relatively easy but faster Mozart menuet and the Prelude.
I still have the problem with the piece, keeping constant tempo and the legato between the arpeggios is quite difficult.
But I'm curious what you think.

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/12/12 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: CMohr
I'm finally in at #44! Yay! Not completely happy with my recording, but heck, there's a couple days left, right? Looks like I'm right after some good company! (Starrkeys).

Thanks, CMohr. I feel honored to be followed by you but glad its not the other way around, since you are usually such a hard act to follow. I'm also not completely happy with my recording but "it goes like it goes"...:)

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/12/12 11:16 AM

It just occurred to me this morning that I could probably submit the mp3 and and add the Youtube later.

Oh now, StarrKeys, that is cheating! wink Enjoy the process of video editing in Sony Vegas, which by the way, is a great video editor!

I submitted my mp3 (and uhmmm... youtube link) some time ago and I can't wait for this recital to open as there are so many interesting pieces listed!!

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/12/12 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Amaruk
[quote=Starr Keys]
Oh now, StarrKeys, that is cheating! wink Enjoy the process of video editing in Sony Vegas, which by the way, is a great video editor!

Now, Amaruk, you know I don't mean that kind of editing! I'm talking about the kind of visual editing where you can insert film or photos like Rossy does or cut from the piano to either or both and back, like Falmc does. Trust me, you'll know I didn't do any audio editing -- played the piano straight through and sung straight through-- when you hear my singing!

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/12/12 01:58 PM

smile I meant that submitting the mp3 before you have the video ready is cheating... LOL

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/12/12 02:15 PM

Oh blush

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/12/12 06:22 PM

All recording done... and audio and video synced up...

BUT - I'm really struggling to get everything uploaded into YouTube this time! GRRRR...
I'll keep trying throughout the day - but with 3 clips to upload and 2 to merge together it feels like post-production is WAAAAAY more work than the playing was! (Which may be a reflection on the poor preparation of my playing this time round?!)

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/12/12 08:12 PM

DadAgain,
I know exactly how it feels... My first video editor used to freeze my computer up more often than desired... I have since changed my flow entirely; video editor, camcorder, computer, and most important; OS. smile My new editor in fact automatically syncs audio and video! laugh

Video editing can be frustrating and IS VERY time consuming but I always think it is worth it in the end.

I hope we get many video entries this time too. In the last recital we had 16 videos out of 50 submissions. Not bad at all!

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/13/12 12:25 AM

In at #48. Yay! smile

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/13/12 04:50 AM

Originally Posted By: DadAgain

"Theme from Schindler's List"? Wow, I love that!

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/13/12 06:53 AM

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC

Is it? - News to me.... . Which? The P or the F or both.... or daughters Invention? Anyway - its all in and done.

Experimented with a new recording tech after previous attempts at using the Nikon D90 or iPhone were uninspiring. I tried using my laptops built in mic with audacity and syncing with the video from the camera! It was surprisingly ok (bit buzzy - but a decent enough sound).

Sorry about the playing - lots of screw-ups... (I'm not very good at Bach - far too fiddly for me!)

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/13/12 07:17 AM

Is it? - News to me.... . Which? The P or the F or both.... or daughters Invention? Anyway - its all in and done.

Experimented with a new recording tech after previous attempts at using the Nikon D90 or iPhone were uninspiring. I tried using my laptops built in mic with audacity and syncing with the video from the camera! It was surprisingly ok (bit buzzy - but a decent enough sound).

Sorry about the playing - lots of screw-ups... (I'm not very good at Bach - far too fiddly for me!)

Sorry, wrong quote.
I want to mean the piece sumbitted by daveindenton - Theme from Schindler's List (John Williams)
Posted by: raptor

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/13/12 12:44 PM

I listened to my recording I took earlier before my holiday and its not very good. It has too many mistakes in it and I didn't even play the parts in it in the correct order. Since i am overseas and have no access to a piano at the moment, i'll pass for this recital. frown
Posted by: Greener

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/13/12 05:19 PM

Oh darn ... we got TWO Schindler's list now.

Bound to happen I guess, but who'd a thunk it?

ALL GOOD ... it's a recital ... not a contest. RIGHT?

Or at least, that's what I'm sticking with, when I get smoked smokin

Looking forward to hearing what is looking like a great line up.

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/13/12 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Greener

But since you got yours in early we've had our appetite whetted for it longer, so I'm pretty sure it'll be sweet smile The other is a bonus for us -

Cathy
Posted by: CMohr

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/13/12 07:07 PM

Hey Jotur, just realized you submitted one of my favorite food rags! laugh
Posted by: Falmc

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/13/12 07:25 PM

I just realize that im the last one of the submission list -.-
Posted by: Clemente

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/13/12 09:13 PM

Hi All. I almost do not make it to the recital...again.... I submitted a Lecuona piece that I have been studying. It needs polishing, a little more accuracy and a tad more speed. I figured that since I was not able to be part of the last two recitals, I would send this, mistakes and all. Now if you overlook the noisy piano bench at the end of the piece, I will be grateful. blush

Clemente
Posted by: daveindenton

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/13/12 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Greener

Bound to happen I guess, but who'd a thunk it?

ALL GOOD ... it's a recital ... not a contest. RIGHT?

Or at least, that's what I'm sticking with, when I get smoked smokin

Looking forward to hearing what is looking like a great line up.

Sorry Greener! I didn't look at the submissions before I posted mine. Don't worry, though...I'm not very good. -Dave

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 12:54 AM

Only 1 day to go before we get to judge on the epic much-anticipated "BATTLE OF THE SCHINDLERS'!!!!"

I cant wait... its one of those delicious match-ups we'll forever remember:

Ali v Frazier
Bush v Gore
Phelps v Magnussen (pffft)
etc etc etc

and now:

Dave v Jeff

(Dont worry - its always interesting to see 2 peoples different interpretations of the same thing, its not a competition and nobody 'wins')

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 03:52 AM

Finally, I've made it! I am in with a nice number #55 smile Not completely happy with my performance, though
Posted by: Sam Rose

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 04:00 AM

So it looks like I'll be able to submit something. The playing isn't very good, but at least the piano and the recording quality is (to make up for that awful mess I made you guys listen to last time). I'm saving the ballade for when I've gone through it with my new teacher (who is fabulous, by the way!). I was half memorizing half reading, and of course I can't get an entire recording without making any mistakes, but it is what it is, and I'm content smile

I won't be able to participate much in the recital discussion, since I'm going as a counselor on a trip for kids with debilitating illnesses (from the 15th to the 23rd of August). I'll listen to it when I come back though.

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 04:07 AM

(...) its not a competition and nobody 'wins')

No, no, no. On the contrary. Everybody WINS!
thumb

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 09:09 AM

Only 1 day to go before we get to judge on the epic much-anticipated "BATTLE OF THE SCHINDLERS'!!!!"

I cant wait... its one of those delicious match-ups we'll forever remember:

Ali v Frazier
Bush v Gore
Phelps v Magnussen (pffft)
etc etc etc

and now:

Dave v Jeff

(Dont worry - its always interesting to see 2 peoples different interpretations of the same thing, its not a competition and nobody 'wins')

Now, we also have two Chopin E minor preludes smile

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 09:37 AM

Holly man ... I should have kept my mouth shut. Perhaps no one would have noticed.

Its all good Dave. I for one, had my piece picked out and had a lot of work to do on it well in advance of submissions. I wouldn't have changed it if I found 10 others the same.

Actually this is good for us both as I am sure we have entirely different approaches and perhaps different arrangements, quite likely at different levels and can learn from one another. Or not ... doesn't matter. There is certainly NOTHING to apologize about.

Also agree with above and would also prefer to say ... "we all win" since our pieces (everyone's pieces) are likely to be in much better condition now than they were when we started this exercise.

I'm starting to feel tingly now ... pre-recital jitters I guess ... crazy

Let the show begin

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 09:49 AM

58 pieces??? yippie
Wow, not counting with the first recital, and according to "ABF Recital Index" site, I think this is a new record!
Posted by: daveindenton

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 10:13 AM

I felt pretty bad about it last night, but I got a good laugh out of the “Battle of the Schindlers”. Thanks for being a good sport about it…I’m looking forward to hearing your version. What do you want to play for the next recital? smile

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 10:31 AM

Good one ...

Yeah, next time lets compare notes in advance and perhaps wear the same shirts ... laugh

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 10:37 AM

58 pieces??? yippie
Wow, not counting with the first recital, and according to "ABF Recital Index" site, I think this is a new record!

Recitals 18 and 21 had 59. Surely we can beat that - we just need a couple more...

To beat Recital 16 we need more than 66. There's always a flurry of last minute activity, so we'll keep our fingers crossed!

The all time record is Recital 12 with 77...

Sam

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 01:57 PM

Just returned from my holiday trip and happy to see that there's so many good looking stuff!

>56. Grouchomarx - Hungarian Rhapsody 2 Lassan (no Friska) (Franz Liszt)

What!!?!? Has the 'B' been dropped from the ABF ? :-D And since the recommended bit rate gives about 7 minutes of play time, this must be at some neck-breaking speed?

BTW what is 'no friska'?

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: RedKat
Now, we also have two Chopin E minor preludes smile

Don't worry, you can skip over mine! wink

Is it tomorrow yet?!
Posted by: Jake S

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 02:24 PM

Newbie checking in here. I'm really looking forward to my first recital. Definitely not a perfect performance but I think it was a really useful exercise preparing a piece (my first real piece) to play.

I look forward to hearing everyone else's submissions.

See you all on the other side!

Jake

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 03:02 PM

Jake, it's always nice to see new people joining the recital. I don't think anyone expects these performances to be perfect -- just fun to prepare for and listen to, as well as a good goal to aim for every 3 months. Congratulations on your first "real" piece. Looking forward to listening to yours and all the others!
Posted by: sinophilia

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 03:15 PM

Can't wait to listen to all your pieces! I'm sure it will be super inspiring. As for mine you can skip it, I won't take offense laugh

(sinophilia AKA Diana, probably the most beginner of beginners)
Posted by: yohyrral

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 03:31 PM

Hello, I am new to posting and I have just uploaded a piece for the recital. How does one listen to the recital?
Posted by: kenjazz

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 03:40 PM

Ooooh. I'm I first time recital poster, and I just noticed that I exported my MP3 at 256 constant bitrate as usual, not 192. Is the streaming player going to choke? shocked

Thanks!

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: yohyrral
How does one listen to the recital?

Welcome - the recital goes "live" sometime late this evening - officially on Weds the 15th. At that point Monica K., the recital administrator, will open a thread to which she will upload the recital pieces. If you happen to be online at that time you can watch it happen smile . Then Greg, the moderator here, will "sticky" that thread - make it permanent at the top of the forum - so that it's easy to find. Then all you have to do is open that thread and either listen to each piece individually, or click on the "streaming player" link to listen to them all in a row.

Monica will also post a thread for General Discussions, in which people can post comments about the recital/individual pieces.

So, you can't listen quite yet, but by tomorrow morning the fun will have started smile

Cathy

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: kenjazz
Ooooh. I'm I first time recital poster, and I just noticed that I exported my MP3 at 256 constant bitrate as usual, not 192. Is the streaming player going to choke? shocked

Thanks!

If you can play your submission back, it should be OK.

Sam

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 08:55 PM

7 minutes til the deadline.... I'll be starting work on it promptly at 9:00, so all you procrastinators better get hopping! laugh
Posted by: kenjazz

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/14/12 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Sam S

If you can play your submission back, it should be OK.

Sam

Oh, thanks Sam. The submission played back OK, so I guess that bitrate works too.
Posted by: GrouchoMarx

Re: Recital #27 --- Call For Submissions - 08/15/12 02:39 PM

Just returned from my holiday trip and happy to see that there's so many good looking stuff!

>56. Grouchomarx - Hungarian Rhapsody 2 Lassan (no Friska) (Franz Liszt)

What!!?!? Has the 'B' been dropped from the ABF ? :-D And since the recommended bit rate gives about 7 minutes of play time, this must be at some neck-breaking speed?

BTW what is 'no friska'?

lol, when you hear my recording you'll know I'm a beginner. About the piece, it has two sections. The first, which is called Lassan, is easy compared with the second part. Friska is the harder part which I intend to learn some day. When I was still working on the lassan I learned about half of the friska at a reasonable tempo but got bored with the piece and have now forgotten most of it.

Btw, feel free to post your technical feedback if you feel like it.