October Piano Bar

Posted by: ladypayne

October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 03:50 PM

Thought I would start the piano bar a few days early.. It actually snowed up here in Alaska last night. It was quite depressing to see it on the ground this morning ;( But the sun came up and it all melted away.. Suppose to be in the mid 40s all week. Fun times :P The picture below is of Hatcher's Pass which is one of my fav spots to go. It's only about 40 minutes away and the colors are really pretty right now because of fall =)

Here's another song I wrote. Not sure what to title this one smile

https://www.box.com/s/zurbccuxd5iip6mzr4d2

Posted by: Amaruk

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 04:28 PM

Ladypayne
Your latest piece was nothing short of amazing. I loved it. You play it very well as it seems to be quite a challenging piece to play. If you ever transcribe it please let us know as it might be a great piece to try out. I have listened to it a few times already and I can't get enough of it. By the way, is that your smoke detector beeping quietly in the background asking for a new battery? Or are your piano keys smoking hot perhaps... smile

The picture you shared is stunning. What a beautiful landscape!!

Here is my contribution for this month. It is the last of the six Amelie pieces in Yann Tiersen's sheet music collection "Six pieces pour piano, vol. 2". I love this piece and I hope it shows.

Since I have enjoyed these six Amelie pieces so much I decided to order another of Yann Tiersen's sheet music collections.

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 04:30 PM

lol the smoke detector is in the apartment hallway.. frown been beeping for like a month now =) sighs :P
Posted by: EdwardianPiano

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 04:54 PM

Very nice playing Lady Payne and pretty landscape.

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 04:58 PM

Really like that music Amuruk. You play very smoothly. Your keyboard has a nice sound. Is this from the film Amelie?
Posted by: Mark...

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 04:59 PM

ladypayne...that was great...some parts had a familiar ring. Its seems you could divide the pieces into sections and have multiple compositions. I wish I could ad lib like that...

Amaruk...nicely done, love the Amelie pieces. Also great production in the video...were you using a red filter?

Here is a small piece I recently recorded.
Short classical piece from 25 progressive pieces Opus 100
Played on an Estonia L190, recorded on a Flip camera, Audio on a Zoom 2 and rendered using Sony Vegas 10 Thanks for listening.

Posted by: pianonewb

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 05:04 PM

Pardon me. I have been a member here for a while and have seen these "Piano Bar" threads fairly regularly. Can someone please explain to me exacly what the Piano Bar is?
I'm self taught and have little understanding of the language used. I understand "recital", but what is a piano bar, and specifically as relates to this thread/forum. Thanks in advance.

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: pianonewb
Pardon me. I have been a member here for a while and have seen these "Piano Bar" threads fairly regularly. Can someone please explain to me exacly what the Piano Bar is?
I'm self taught and have little understanding of the language used. I understand "recital", but what is a piano bar, and specifically as relates to this thread/forum. Thanks in advance.

Think of the piano bar as an informal place to show pieces you are playing. Just like a real drinking establishment, there really are no rules, just post a piece or song. Stuff need not be perfect, just have fun.
Posted by: kenjazz

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 05:21 PM

In honor of October, I submit my one and only original titled "October's Lament". I did this one now two years ago. It amazes me how some of you guys can just knock out originals at the drop of a hat. This is really just a Cm blues but it took me quite a while (and a lot of help from my teacher) to get the sound that I was after.

It is supposed to be evocative of dark cafes where people are wearing berets, smoking unfiltered cigarettes, arguing about existential philosophy, and lamenting love gone wrong - as though there are such places :-)

https://www.box.com/s/f0u9wpwfyi78px67ywku

Here is the blog entry for October's Lament

http://kenblog05.blogspot.com/2011/02/octobers-lament.html

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 05:55 PM

I'm seein' it Ken! Ah there were those places in the 1950s and 60s....
You have created a very atmospheric peice.

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 07:59 PM

Amaruk: a really pretty piece. Love the video effects !
Mark: I like the piece. It sounded perfect to me. Has kind of a bounce to it =)
Kenjazz. Nice soothing piece. I like the different instrument sounds too.

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 08:10 PM

Mark, thanks for the explanation. I have a song I may submit. I don't think it would be appropriate for a bar/club setting since it is gospel. But gospel is what I play, so it depends on everyone else's opinion.
Posted by: Inlanding

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 08:29 PM

ladypayne~ Very pretty piece. There is a very nice development to a climax, then a sweet calming ending. One of your best by far! Nice image too.

Amaruk~ great multimedia presentation and a very sensitively played Amelie piece. You certainly do connect with Tiersen's style. I think laydpayne's own style is similar in intent. Great work.

Mark,,,~ Burgmuller is a joy to play, for sure. He offers so many challenges in that compilation of 25 progressive pieces. Your technique is improving by leaps and bounds - such an entertaining piece. Thanks so much.

Ken~ A very silky bluesy sounding, dark piece. You put me right there. That sax player's got to tone it down a bit. I was busy listening to the vibe player with multiple mallets! Quite nice.
Posted by: BillM

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 08:48 PM

Pianonewb - I for one would love to hear your gospel piece.

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 08:57 PM

Pianoewb, it's share and share alike here. I second Bill's recommendation

Along with Ken's piece, here is a short/quick improvisation to a drum and bass track (still working on the bass volume) - my first one like this called, Early October

https://www.box.com/s/cqths8aodbh3ysaidz5r

Glen
Posted by: Greener

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 09:07 PM

Great picture Ladypayne. Can I visit? Is that the Rockies ??? Spectacular, I want to visit. This is the real truth. I will someday. So far I haven't made it past Jasper frown . Love your piece, especially 2:05 - 2:40 mark. It is very nice sound. Good job

Amaruk, yes it shows. Great expression with this and nice playing. Very cool video effects. We need to talk about this. I would like to get a video set up. Know ZERO about it.

Mark, nicely executed and nice playing. Is that your piano? Fabulous.

Hey Ken, I didn't know you played vibes too? You're good. How do you play all those lovely chords though? I can sometimes handle four mallets at a time, but that's my limit.

Always fun when a new month rolls around and a new bar opens up. Means I need to get busy. Here is a little tune I am fond of called:

Autumn in New York

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 09:12 PM

Jeff~ fantastic Autumn in New York! The fact you don't read music and can glean these arrangements from already recorded pieces is amazing. You've got some serious skills, indeed - love those walking tenths!

Glen

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 09:30 PM

Thanks so much Glen. Although it is not entirely the case that I am gleaning these arrangements on my own. This was my Dad's arrangement -- he did a far better job then I am doing with it -- and at one time or another he charted it for me. He was a whiz at charting a lead sheet. Actually, most of my better arrangements came directly from Dad, only my more recent stuff has not.

At any rate, thanks for the nice comments, Glen

Oh, lastly: I can read, just poorly. But, getting better all the time smile

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 10:20 PM

Mark
Great playing on a great little piece! I like that you play it so lightly. You managed to capture the positive energy in this piece very well. Great job! And what a nice piano you have!!

Kenjazz
Is that you playing all that? Amazing… What a great piece this is. I simply loved it. It reminded me of the good old TV series Twin Peaks for some reason… It goes well with the picture that Ladypayne posted here too!

Inlanding
Yes, your piece goes very well with Kennjazz piece. It is excellent too! You two amaze me to no end. It seems that music comes so easy to you and then you perform it with these advanced arrangements too!! Keep it flowing as it is so great to listen to it here on PW! Thanks for sharing!

Greener
More lovely jazz!! Great performance!! You also seem to play very gently which makes your music very soothing. Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks for the nice words regarding my performance. Yes, this piece is from the French movie Amelie (but for some reason it is not included on the Amelie soundtrack CD). It is used as background music in a scene in the beginning of the movie where Amelie and her mother release their gold fish Blubber into the river after it was driving them crazy… The redness in my video is simply a digital effect in my video editor (FCPX).

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 10:25 PM

Here is an acoustic version of my favorite Bruce Springsteen song. It is a little longer than my usual fare, but I love the lyrics and didn't want to cut out any of the verses. I hope you like this gentle version of Thunder Road.

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/29/12 10:41 PM

Ladypayne - Really nice! This one deserves a good title. I had a guitar teacher once who made us give everything a good title even if it was only four bars. He said it was a sign of respect for the composition. I think there was some wisdom in that. Your composition deserves a lot of respect.

Amaruk - Wonderful sound and production quality. How did you do that? I'm just starting to fool with some video and doing some elemental stuff with Windows Movie Maker, but you've got a master class going on there.

Mark... Very nice, and leaves us wanting more from the short snippet.

Edwardianpaino, Inlanding, Jeff - Thank you for the comments. Glen, I never feel that I have the mix just right. You are probably right that the sax should be dialed down a notch. Jeff, I don't know if you were kidding, but those are not really vibes. That is an old Yamaha EP on the vibes setting played through a tube guitar amp.

Inlanding - Those were absolutely exquisite voicings on Early October. Really pro sounding. Was there bass on that track (other than the piano)? I didn't hear it.

Jeff - Autumn in NY is one of my favorites. This was a really sweet treatment. I like the switch-up in the rhythm motif on the second part. I have a duet version of this with Tommy Flanagan and guitarist Mark Whitfield that I just love, where Mark does a minute-long solo intro and Tommy just comes up from underneath , out of nowhere, and plays the most beautiful comping on these changes. And then an understated solo that would make you cry. It makes me miss him more than any other song. Very nice job!

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 12:16 AM

Wow, things are moving along quickly here. Glen, I hadn't seen your posting until just now. Very cool sound. I thought it was live drums until I went back and read your write up. Great job.

Bill, love the Thunder Road. This is a great tune and your rendition of it is very a pleasing contrast to that of the the BOSS. Great sound

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 07:34 AM

Bill,
Amazing! This is almost better than the original!! I love how you added so much warmth to this piece. Is this your own arrangement? It is not too long at all. In fact, I think it is too short as it is so good!! Thanks for sharing!!

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 09:16 AM

Originally Posted By: kenjazz

Amaruk - Wonderful sound and production quality. How did you do that? I'm just starting to fool with some video and doing some elemental stuff with Windows Movie Maker, but you've got a master class going on there.

Thanks Ken!
I record the sound directly to a USB stick on the piano (.wav). In order to hear what I play I use a $5 computer speaker connected to the audio-out on my piano. That also makes it real easy to sync the two camera feeds with the master audio file as my video editor (FCPX) can automatically sync clips by sound. And when everything is synced up I just mute the audio feeds from the two cameras. Done!

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 09:46 AM

kenjazz...you really play well, and like how you add the additional instruments. I must figure out how to do that.

Inlanding- heavy jazz sound that I like so much. You must do a youtube video. I always enjoy your videos too...

Greener wow,,,that was sweet. I;m jealous of you guys who play so well.

Bill...great job on the Bruce Thunder. My piano tech worked on Bruces stage piano, a C3 Yamaha that they painted grey to reduce reflections and full of midi stuff. I take lessons in the store where bruce visits from time to time. When he was young, the owner had to throw him out...lol You must share how you learn pop pieces, (my true love). Is it lead sheets?

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 11:28 AM

Ladypayne - a very enjoyable composition - I like the way it picked up intensity around the 1:45 mark.

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 11:34 AM

Amaruk - a creative video presentation to go along with your excellent performance. I love being able to see the artist behind the music - very well done.

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 11:39 AM

Mark.... Nice job on this short but fun piece. Your video looks and sounds very crisp. I also had to give up on my Flip for audio - the Zoom has a much cleaner sound.

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 11:51 AM

Kenjazz - I enjoyed October's Lament - a very well produced piece.

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 11:58 AM

Greener - what a cool arrangement and performance. I like the understated elegance of the first half of the song and the way you popped into your jazzy gear for the second half. Outstanding!

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 12:06 PM

Inlanding - I'm with Kenjazz - I couldn't hear any bass either but loved this bouncy, hip and jazzy riff. Way too short.

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 01:12 PM

Thanks, Bill and Glenn. I'll work it up ASAP.

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 01:23 PM

Bill - Super job with Thunder Road. I've come to believe that pop tunes (especially the complex ones) are much harder to play than jazz tunes because they just have to be just right. You can't fudge it and pretend that you meant to do it that way. You really nailed all of the self-comp, so that it really was- Thunder Road.

Amaruk - Rats. FCPX is a Mac-only program right? You are on a real multi-media platform, and I'm still a troglodyte on Windows. I also have a blackberry. And an abacus.

Bill and Mark - Thank you for the comments!

Inlanding - It eluded me that Early October is an original. Maybe I was thinking Early Autumn? I don't know. Anyway, the treatment is even more impressive being that it is an original. Well done.

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 01:32 PM

Ladypayne, improv, huh? Lovely. Wish I could improv like that.

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 03:37 PM

Thanks also Amaruk, Ken, Mark and Bill for listening and your kind reviews.

I look forward to when you are ready to take the stage, Mike.

Jeff, I don't know if you were kidding, but those are not really vibes.

I rarely kid around, Ken wink. Actually, at first I really thought it was the real thing. The percussion sound was very good. The higher notes though and the solid chords were a dead give away. BTW, haven't lost site of your Vibes track, but Bach is still priority at the moment.
Posted by: Newman

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 05:54 PM

Bill - Absolutely beautiful arrangement. My favourite Springsteen too. Such imagery. I learn from you every time to slow things down. A great showcase of your skill. I wish I could play like that.
Amaruk – very moody piece, well executed.
Mark - good work - what is that recording device on top of the piano?
Kenjazz – I know this is the piano bar – but that was some nice sax work.
In Landing – I had to go back and check that was an improvisation. It seemed a very structured swing as I was listening to it.
Greener – that’s so atmospheric I could almost taste the cocktails
Posted by: Rickster

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 06:20 PM

Well, I'm running way behind participating in the ABF piano bar; I've been busy with work and all the other things I have to do.

Here is something a little different... my youngest son, Steven, got married (for the first time smile )this past weekend. My oldest son, Mark, is a fantastic musician and has his own blues band. Mark and his band played at the wedding reception and invited both Steven (who also plays the bass at his church) and myself to play a few tunes with them on my digital piano.

Mark Henson Band with dad and brother

Hope ya'll enjoy it as much as we did! smile

Rick

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Newman

Mark - good work - what is that recording device on top of the piano?

That is the Zoom H2
Posted by: jotur

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 07:49 PM

Rickster, that has to be one of the funnest things you've ever posted laugh I loved it!

Cathy

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Rickster

Here is something a little different... my youngest son, Steven, got married (for the first time smile )this past weekend.

Rick

What a joy to be able to share this love of music with your family! When I start playing, the family runs for the hills. I have a work colleague whose entire family are fiddle players. They travel the country together playing. I'm so jealous. Enjoy it, it is a special gift! And it sounds great too....
Posted by: Falmc

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 09:44 PM

@ladypayne Wow, i love those minor chords you play

@Amaruk very enjoyable piece, you got perfect tempo, did you use a metronome?

@Mark... your piece sound so natural i like that, something remember me to Candy Candy series

@Inlanding you have no idea how i love that kind of music, i enjoy hearing those jazz chords perfectly fit it with percussion and bass.

@Greener i almost fall asleep with your piece >_< very relaxing music, i have to learn how to play those tricky chors too.

@BillM Very nice playing, i hope someday learn to sing like you, im very off-key to sing

Re: October Piano Bar - 09/30/12 09:48 PM

Here my contribution for this month, it is a very easy piece from Brayam Adams Wherever you go

it's not too long but i put a lot of effort to played as clean as possible, i hope you like it

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/01/12 09:39 AM

Rickster, what a thrill to not only play for an audience but with family too.

Falmc, nice playing, I really like that song. Did you play by ear or from a sheet.
Posted by: cgyan

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/01/12 06:10 PM

Hi everyone, it's been a wee while since I contributed something to the bar. It's nice to see that even on day 1 there are already two pages worth of contributions from the regulars and a few new members since I was last here. I'll get around to leaving comments a bit later but here's something I worked up earlier. It's one of my favourite David Nevue pieces.

David Nevue - No More Tears

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/01/12 06:48 PM

Falmc
A classic! Yes, you play it very well!! I like how you show the keys on top too. Is that automated thru MIDI?

IIRC, this piece was actually written and recorded by Richard Marx and it has the title "Right Here Waiting". smile

Cgyan
This is a new piece to me. Great performance on a great piece indeed!! I can see how it is your favorite as you play it so gently. Thanks for sharing!!!

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/01/12 08:36 PM

Thank you for your kind words on my simple little improvisation. Time permitting, I'll work on putting together something more substantial.

BillM~ I really like this ballad. Your accompaniment is spectacular. You seem to get better and better with each piece you play.

Rick~ Fun video. Great to see you jamming with your sons - you were really having a ball on stage. What a great thing that is. That wedding must have been so enjoyable for everyone.

Falmc~ Good work on, Wherever You Go. It's great to see how you are connecting with the music as you play. This is really fine.

Cygan~ How great to see you back at the Piano Bar! I hope all is well with you. Such a wonderfully played piece and it is clear you are putting yourself into expressing this music. Superb, for sure!

Glen

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/01/12 09:16 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

@Mark... I played by ear, sound funny but i dont even know how to read a piano sheet music but now a learning because is really important

@Amaruk the keyboard you see at the top is systhesia, i joined my original video together to get that effect.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/02/12 04:18 AM

O.K., here's my submission. Sorry it took so long, but I am on dial up, and it literally took all night to upload the video to youtube.
I also apologize for the video quality, but I need to get a better webcam. The audio is fine, as it was a direct feed to the soundcard.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/02/12 05:00 AM

I didn't contribute last month (or the last two months was it?) because I was going to practice developing some new skills. Well, I've been playing a lot, because I don't really practice in the formal sense but not really developing - a bit of a plateau. But I was working on this Jackson Browne song all day (hours and hours) yesterday(a public holiday here)but I couldn't work out what it was he was doing most of the time so I used some of his chords and some of my own chord arrangement - which I'm quite pleased with. Although the recording (with mistakes) is a little rough - I'll have to get one of those Zoom thingies (are they good?)

EDIT I went out and bought a Zoom H1 this morning and just gave it a try. Much better than my cheapo phone/camera. So I'm going to do this one again (and probably redo my others too.

deleted link

I suppose it's a bit of a mournful song but I've always liked it and these days the lines

"Sometimes I lie awake at night and wonder where the years have gone. They have all passed under sleep's dark and silent gate"

are particularly poignant (which is why I changed the words in the preceding line).

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/02/12 07:00 AM

Falmc - you got this just right. This lovely melody works very well as an instrumental and you were able to capture the emotion of the song quite well.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/02/12 07:05 AM

Cgyan - I always enjoy your music - you play beautifully and with great expression. You have a wonderful feel for this piece and it shows in your performance.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/02/12 07:13 AM

Pianonewb - you play with power and soul - a good combination for this style of music. I liked it very much.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/02/12 07:16 AM

Newman - love the Jackson Browne cover - your voice and piano style are perfect for this one.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/02/12 01:15 PM

Cgyan-Such great dynamics and flow. You always have a professional feel to your recordings and playing No red dot problems for you...Excellent...

pianonewb-love the blues stuff...sound quality was very good...was that ad libbing?

Way to go Newman! Think Jerry Seinfeld... I've seen Jackson many times live and love his stuff...well done.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/02/12 01:44 PM

Bill, Mark, thanks. Mark, it's basically my own arrangement.
Most hymnals are written fairly simply, so that those of various talents have a good chance of being able to play them in worship. I think they could use some help.
They are also not written in any discernable style, IMHO.
I like the bluesy, kind of old timey gospel sound, and that's sort of what I'm trying to develop, but with my own unique sound/style. I've got a long way to go, but it's very rewarding and tons of fun!

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/02/12 10:37 PM

pianoewb~ love that original boogie, blues swinging, hymn! What a great show. Look forward to more of your music.

Glen

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/02/12 10:38 PM

Newman~ A very timely choice for this piano bar! Such a familiar statement lately. I could not agree more. Such a great delivery start-to-finish!

Glen

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 02:47 AM

I got a Zoom H1 today and re-recorded Sleep's Dark and Silent Gate. After more than 20 flubs I got through it eventually. Although I almost come unstuck at 1:20 and hesitate both fingers and voice. But the H1 is looking very promising. I just need to work on positioning and levels to get a reasonable mix at capture and work out how best to use the wavelabs software that came with it.

Sleep's Dark and Silent Gate (Jackson Browne)

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 02:56 AM

Falmc - nice job.
Cgyan - Lovely. I wish I knew how to play like that - to get that sound like water.

Thanks, inlanding, Bill.

Thanks Mark (you might find it hard to believe but I've never seen Seinfeld). I saw Jackson Browne myself around 77 on the tour in support of The Pretender.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 02:57 AM

Amaruk, loved your piece. Such a flowing, melancholy sound. The video effects were cool as well.
Mark, nice playing. I confess I don't listen to much classical, but the piece is familiar to me. Enjoyed it very much, but would like to have heard more.
Kenjazz, as mentioned, a very "atmospheric" sound. A question, if I may? What type of piano is used here? I ask because to me it really sounds a lot like an old Rhodes electric piano in many ways. a neat sound.
Inlanding, very clean playing, and, as with Ladypayne's piece, I wish I could improv that well.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 08:08 AM

Newman - I really enjoyed Sleep's Dark and Silent Gate. I never heard this before. It sounds like it was written for solo piano and vocal. Is that how the original was done?

Pianoweb - Congrats on your first posting to the piano bar! Victory in Jesus was well done. Keep the Gospel/blues coming!

Falmc - Wow, two camera angles and the key map. Unfortunately for all of us, the piano is arguably the least photogenic of all instruments. Personally, I think the "floating hands" thing is kind of creepy. But I really like how you've mixed it up with a full front view, then top, repeat. You get a lot more character of the player that way. Playing a solid rendition of Wherever You Go on top of it brought it all together. Nice.

Cgyan - Everything about the performance of No More Tears was spot on. The flow, pacing, dynamics. Just great to listen to.

Pianoweb - I used an old Yamaha P200 played through a Peavy tube guitar amp to get that sound on October's Lament. If I remember correctly, the P200 was a middle of the road EP of the first generation that actually had weighted keys. None of the sound emulations are very good except for the vibes which sound realistic to me. The speakers on the piano itself are pretty bad so you have to play it through something else if you want to record. A tube amp seemed to make just the right complement to the vibes sound.
Posted by: Seaside_Lee

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 08:14 AM

Greener: Loved that arrangement, your dad must be proud

Not been around for so long I thought I'd just pop something in the piano bar myself that I've been working on today

Playing around with I Can't Give You Anything But Love smile

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 09:40 AM

Seaside Lee~ Welcome back to the Piano Bar and a fine submission you shared. I really enjoyed the chording and the way you started to make it swing a bit. Thank you for your music. Love that tune!

Here is a work-in-progress with drums and bass combo (one time through) for Angel Eyes, a standard from the mid-40s. Hope you like it.

Angel Eyes
https://www.box.com/s/etk8qxysvz3abu1zil4u

Glen

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 10:06 AM

Oooh yeah I love it Glen!

I don't know the song but it doesn't matter just loved hearing your jazzy licks I need to know how you get those cool backing tracks to play along to?

How have you recorded that?

Lee

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Inlanding

Here is a work-in-progress with drums and bass combo (one time through) for Angel Eyes, a standard from the mid-40s. Hope you like it.

Angel Eyes

Glen

Nailed it! Do you feel your playing changing yet with the trio? You did a good job of having your voicings not conflict with the bass player. That takes a little while when you are used to normally playing chord roots as a solo player. Keep 'em coming. This will be fun!

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 12:57 PM

Seaside Lee~ Welcome back to the Piano Bar and a fine submission you shared. I really enjoyed the chording and the way you started to make it swing a bit. Thank you for your music. Love that tune!

Angel Eyes

Glen

That was great...how do you add the other instruments. I love that sound.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 01:03 PM

Falmc - Wow, two camera angles and the key map. Unfortunately for all of us, the piano is arguably the least photogenic of all instruments. Personally, I think the "floating hands" thing is kind of creepy. But I really like how you've mixed it up with a full front view, then top, repeat. You get a lot more character of the player that way. Playing a solid rendition of Wherever You Go on top of it brought it all together. Nice.

Yes i also think the floating hands look so ugly but a static position is worst than that, guitarrist do theirs nice poses, bass players same thing, so as a pianist you have to do some crappy poses to enchant your play style

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 02:26 PM

BillM: fantastic job on thunder road! Wish I could sing half as good as you, Bravo

Lee
Posted by: JimF

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 04:37 PM

Lee - Hey, welcome back. I really enjoyed that, especially the when you began the little sycopations. Swingin!

Glen - You're becoming a one-man trio fast! Keep it up.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 04:48 PM

Angel Eyes

Glen

Nailed it! Do you feel your playing changing yet with the trio? You did a good job of having your voicings not conflict with the bass player. That takes a little while when you are used to normally playing chord roots as a solo player. Keep 'em coming. This will be fun!

Thanks, Ken. Yes, having played only solo piano, there are many limitations to overcome when playing with others. My biggest achilles heel is making changes in time, so learning playing with others (virtual or not) is a huge step in the right direction. I just have to be very careful to not overdo it. My wrists/elbows are not yet ready for prime-time.

Mark and Seaside, thanks for the kind words using BIAB. As for the mic placement, I just put it in between the speakers and piano in hopes there's enough sound and a decent balance for the instruments.

JimF~ Glad you liked it!

Here is a faster version. I made two recordings, the previous one (in quotes above), then, the next day, this. Hope you like this one, too. Thanks again.

Angel Eyes (up tempo)
https://www.box.com/s/kldqzr6ebzia3auh3g3n

Glen

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 06:49 PM

ladypayne - hey, that was great and your photo looks wonderful, the colors are amazing! It still impresses me how the 'beginners' on this forum can compose music and create something as engaging and detailed as your piece. Well done! Oh, and maybe like others, I kept pulling my headphones off thinking my smoke alarm battery was giving up! laugh

amaruk - nice job, I'm listening to a lot of Yann Tierson at the moment so I particularly enjoyed that. You can definitely see the pleasure you get from playing it as you are completely relaxed and just let the music flow. Superb audio and video quality too!

mark - now I've definitely heard this before but I can't place where, maybe in past recitals. Good job, though, it's quite a charming little piece and you played it quite expressively and with passion.

kenjazz - well, if a description ever matched a piece of music then yours did it! I can almost taste the smokey atmosphere whilst listening. Jazz isn't really my thing but I can appreciate a good piece of music composition and that was certainly a creative piece which I enjoyed a lot as much for the mental images as for the music itself. Good job!

Inlanding - Glen!! How are you doing, buddy? It's great to be back again with friends and music. That's a nice touch with the drums and bass on the jazz improvs, it just further confirms to me you're a jazz superstar waiting to be discovered on the big stage :-D.

Greener - hey, Greener, that's some nice chops you got there! It sounded effortless under your fingers and just flowed beautifully. I've no idea, but is it from the Richard Gere movie from a few years back?

BillM - Bill, you know you're one of my main favourites in this community because of your generosity of time and comments to members new and old. And of course the music never fails to hit the spot and once again I'm left wanting more and have to hit replay again. Long may you entertain us!

Rickster - that is so cool! It must have been something really special to play with your kids on such a special day. You had me bopping! laugh

Falmc - terrific job, very clean and purely played, I was sad it wasn't longer. Hope you'll record all of it soon smile

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 08:18 PM

pianonewb
That was a great first submission!! It seems like you are having great fun letting the music just flow thru you. Thanks for sharing!

Newman
Your new recording is fantastic!! You play this very well and what a great singing voice you have!! Keep up the great work. Looking forward to hear more of your recordings here.

Seaside Lee
That is quite the piece you are "working" on….! Your performance is fantastic. I love how you you master the dynamics in it so well. Great job!!

Inlanding
Time travel back to the 40s…. Great!! It always sounds like great fun when you play with your "band'! You will have to teach us all how you pull these things off. It sounds amazing to me. Your performance is as good as always! I think I like the first (slow) version the best. Just my preference. Thanks for sharing Glenn!

Since I had so much fun putting together my latest video on my computer I decided to re-edit a recent video (my favorite Amélie piece) in a similar fashion:

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 10:00 PM

Wow, great to see all the great great stuff happening in the bar this month. And see we are moving quickly in to round two and I already have some catching up to do ...

Originally Posted By: Rickster

Hope ya'll enjoy it as much as we did! smile

Indeed. Well done Rickster, you must be very proud. Good for you.

Falmc: I really like this tune. Yes, you did do a VERY clean version of it and it really makes the lovely harmonics of this piece stand out. Great job

Cgyan: This is really pretty piece. You have very nice touch. Great playing.

Mike: Glad to see you take the stage with "Victory in Jesus". Not a tune I was familiar with, but nice playing. Look forward to seeing/hearing more from you. Do they still really have dial-up?

Newman: I was all ready to hear your piece and then couldn't find the link. So, glad you reposted. You and Bill are really making me think more about this singing business. My only suggest is that your mix (perhaps just this recording) is a bit too strong on the accompaniment. You have a very nice voice. So, just suggesting more emphasis. It is otherwise a very great sound.

Seaside: Wow, impressive stuff. This is a really quality performance. I love the shift in dynamics rubato to rhythm to rubato. Likewise, I do a lot of this, as I like it too. Great job and thanks for sharing this.

Glen: Angel Eyes was sweet. This really swings and makes you sit up and take notice. It is a really great sound, Glen. One of your betters and a definite keep sake ... great job

Amaruk - Will get back to you a bit later. I've seen your post but not listened yet. But will soon.

So, still have more catching up to do. Plus, working on a round two surprise for ya's. Someone kindly asked if Autumn in NY was from a movie track. No idea. Very likely could have been, but I know nothing on the history of it ... sorry. My next though ... several movies.

Really enjoying the quality stuff coming out of the bar this month.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/03/12 10:50 PM

Pianoweb - I used an old Yamaha P200 played through a Peavy tube guitar amp to get that sound on October's Lament. If I remember correctly, the P200 was a middle of the road EP of the first generation that actually had weighted keys. None of the sound emulations are very good except for the vibes which sound realistic to me. The speakers on the piano itself are pretty bad so you have to play it through something else if you want to record. A tube amp seemed to make just the right complement to the vibes sound.

I think the tube amp was definately the right choice. The sound is just right.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/04/12 04:24 PM

Thanks for all the kind replies on my work in progress folks

Got me so pumped I thought I'd post something with a little less rubato and something more steady (rhythm being my nemesis for so long)

On The Street Where You Live:

Lee smile

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/04/12 11:04 PM

Autumn Leaves is one of the most well-known jazz standards, and certainly one of my favorites. The song is most often played as an up-tempo swing number. There are so many great versions that I could not even begin to name them all, or even to pick favorites.

But Autumn Leaves is not an up-tempo swing number for me. This wonderfully written song only reminds me only of the loss of my parents as a teenager. It reminds me of each of us sitting in that chair in the living room watching the autumn leaves coming down and feeling that deep sense of loss. The kids feeling the loss of the parents and the grandparents feeling the loss of their kids.

There are other songs that remind me of this time too, but Autumn Leaves gets to me like no other. So for this song I'm doing something a little bit different. I've got a snapshot montage of the very few pictures that I have of them provided by my sister. I am accompanying with an understated version of Autumn Leaves with string orchestra.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/04/12 11:39 PM

Cgyan, Amaruk, and Greener~ Very much appreciate the encouragement and that you liked the combo versions.

Amaruk~ Amélie is such a fine movie. I've probably seen it a dozen times over the years. Thanks again for your re-edited video and piano playing. Great camera work and even better playing.

SeasideLee~ I'd not heard that tune before, so thank you for introducing it - it must be a later piece, after the 40s. Great playing. I like your use of the chords and sensitive use of dynamics.

Ken~ Thanks for your version of Autumn Leaves. As well, thank you for sharing such wonderful images of times spent with your parents.

Glen

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/05/12 06:11 AM

Greener – a nice little swing
Inlanding – wow a one man band
Kenjazz – impressive. And thanks - the original SDASG is a simple arrangement of piano, bass drums, strings
Amaruk – those Amelie pieces sound very good, quite moody

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/05/12 10:10 AM

Autumn Leaves is one of the most well-known jazz standards, and certainly one of my favorites.

If you only want the song, here it is...

https://www.box.com/s/8tekdhxc4h09t0vedec4

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/05/12 12:03 PM

Seaside_lee - I just love your I Can't Give You Anything but Love. A great old tune,great arrangement and terrific performance. This is real Piano Bar music.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/05/12 12:09 PM

Amaruk - if the movie is half as compelling as your performances of the music it needs to go on my Netflix list. A wonderful performance and entertaining video - well done.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/05/12 12:16 PM

Seaside_lee - you have managed to wring every bit of emotion and tenderness from this wonderful song. I have seen My Fair Lady dozens of times and this is one of my favorites from the musical. Your rendition is outstanding.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/05/12 12:32 PM

Kenjazz - a poignant and touching tribute. I did a version of Autumn Leaves in the Piano Bar a few months ago and although my piano playing is not in the same league as yours, stylistically we have given this similar treatment.i also have heard this as an uptempo swinger, but your melancholy, pensive arrangement is perfect. Just a wonderful production. The Piano Bar is raising the bar this month.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/05/12 04:14 PM

Inlanding - Love the cool bebopping on this foot-tapper. Once again you have shown your versatility playing with the "band".

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/05/12 04:17 PM

Inlanding - I listened to these in reverse order (up-tempo first) and I must say although they are both way cool I prefer the slowed down version a little better (probably because I'm old and don't move that fast anymore).

You did a good job of keeping the band in the background and in a supporting role.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/05/12 04:32 PM

BillM, Glen, Newman - Thank you for the kind comments on Autumn Leaves!

Seaside Lee - really nice lyrical rendition of On The Street Where You Live! I've only done I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face (aka I Threw A Custard At Her Face in jazz circles) from My Fair Lady before. You emphasized the beautiful melody so well that this definitely has to go on the "learn it" list.

Amarak - Don't make me steal my son's high-end Mac! If you do any more of these stunning re-edits, I may need to become a felon.

Inlanding - The uptempo Angel Eyes is just so tasty. Man, you have really got the touch. That un-identifiable quality that is just - the touch. Keep expanding- intros and endings...

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/05/12 05:24 PM

BillM: thank you, now if I could just sing like you...

And Ken: if I could just jazz it like you!

Thanks guys

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/06/12 03:03 PM

Greetings again, and see I have yet more catching up to do and will do so in short order.

Meanwhile, this is a tune I have been wanting to share. I came across this from 'Music From the Motion Picture "For The Boys" by Bette Midler.' I immediately wanted to learn it, plus one other track "P.S. I Love You", from the same CD. The later I was able to get a decent arrangement of, scored for me nearly straight away. But, not this one. So I left it at that for the time being.

Fast forward one year and I saw the movie "Leaving Las Vegas" for the first time. I loved the movie and I loved the soundtrack (Don Henley.) Then I was determined to learn this piece, which is apparently a very old standard. I had no idea of this. I found mostly junk scores for it, but came across a jazz tutorial of it (actually was beyond what I wanted) on YouTube, and was able to extract a scaled down arrangement of it.

This is still a work in progress, but hope you enjoy my interpretation of:

Come Rain or Come Shine

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/06/12 03:23 PM

Newman, Bill, and Ken~
Thank you so much for the kind comments. It's very encouraging to know you liked the tune depending on the tempo choice. It's hard to keep it the same from one tempo to the next.

Jeff~ Come Rain or Come Shine is wonderfully done, great arrangement you put together on the fly and even better playing. You have an excellent sense of time. I've heard Ella Fitzgerald sing it (my favorite version of this tune) and like you, she brings so much life to music.

Glen
Posted by: jazztpt

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 06:57 AM

Hi Guys - I have a new Piano - a Roland HP507 and it is keeping me occupied so I haven't had time to listen to much of the bar lately.

Two quick comments:

Glen - Angel Eyes , that was knockout, I look forward to hearing more of your trio.

Kenjazz - Autumn Leaves , I can honestly say that is one of the best versions I have ever heard, simply beautiful.

By the way, the Roland HP507 has opened up a whole new world of sound to me, I love it.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 09:43 AM

Originally Posted By: jazztpt

Kenjazz - Autumn Leaves , I can honestly say that is one of the best versions I have ever heard, simply beautiful.

Thank you so much Jazztpt! I've received some very thoughtful public and private comments on this one. It felt like it was bottled up for a long time and asked permission to come out in as simple a way as possible.
Posted by: TX-Dennis

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 10:45 PM

ladypayne, I really enjoyed your composition. Nice job. Call it [i]The Fire Alarm Blues[/i}? NOT!

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 10:49 PM

Amaruk, yes; Your love of this piece shows in your playing. Beautiful.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 10:51 PM

Mark..., this little Burgmuller piece is fun to listen to. It must be fun to play as well.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 10:56 PM

kenjazz, I quite enjoyed October's Lament.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 10:58 PM

Glen, I sense a theme here . . . Early October is another fun listen.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 11:01 PM

Jeff, now I know there's a theme afoot. Your Autumn in New York is wonderful. This is a truly fine arrangement.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 11:09 PM

Bill, I think I like your version of Thunder Road better than Springsteen's. It's just perfect, and you capture the mood of the song just right. Then again, I've never been a big Springsteen fan. Near sacrilege, I know.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 11:15 PM

Rick, I already commented on your video in the other thread, but it is worth repeating. There isn't too much that will beat this in the fun department. "Everybody give it up for Ricky Henson on the grand piano . . . " Funny looking grand, but I love it. I think I may have said this before, too, but Mark's playing reminds me a bit of the Vaughan brothers.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 11:19 PM

Iain, I really enjoyed No More Tears.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 11:21 PM

Falmc, oops; I skipped you. This is a pretty song, and you have captured its essence.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 11:25 PM

pianonewb, when I saw the title I was expecting a different song. This is very nice. It must be a real hassle to upload over dialup, though. I would never have the patience for that.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 11:29 PM

Newman, for some reason I've not heard this song before. Perhaps I was born under a stone somewhere? At any rate, I really enjoyed your performance.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 11:34 PM

Lee, you haven't posted in ages. I remember we always like the same kinds of songs. This one is no exception. Fun piece; great job.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 11:37 PM

Glen, I've been messing about with the other Angel Eyes recently, so I was rather hoping to hear that one. I think it's a bit older than the mid 40's, though. Fun song, and a fun listen. Edit: the fast version is nice, too, but I find I'm partial to the slower tempo.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 11:44 PM

Lee, all at once am I several stories high listening to you play this one. I did a version of this for a recital some years back, and it remains one of my favorite songs.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 11:49 PM

Ken, you've captured the essence of what Autumn Leaves is about. It really wasn't intended to be an uptempo romp (although it obviously works well as such), but rather a lament of sorts.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/07/12 11:52 PM

Jeff, yes indeed. Come Rain or Come Shine has been around far longer than you or I. I really enjoyed your version. Nice ending.
Posted by: Elssa

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/08/12 03:07 AM

Haven't been able to play much lately - still nursing a sore shoulder - but really enjoying everyone's wonderful recordings here. smile

Here's a real oldie with a pretty melody...hope you enjoy.

BLUE MOON (Richard Rodgers/Lorenz Hart)

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/08/12 06:06 AM

Seaside Lee. I missed On The Street Where You Live. That's a thoughtful version. This song reminds me of when I was very young.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/08/12 08:35 AM

Thanks, Dennis! Yes, it is quite difficult to upload on dial up. But I think it's worth it in this case.
Watching Youtube videos takes a great deal of patience as well. A 3 minute song takes about 20-30 minutes to load up before I can actually watch/listen without constant buffering pauses. And then you run across the occasional one that won't load up at all for whatever reason, LOL.
There's an old saying, "It is what it is". grin

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/08/12 08:38 PM

Elssa, your Blue Moon is quite pretty. Hope that sore shoulder feels better soon. I have a more or less permanent sore shoulder that really needs surgery . . . but I am too stubborn to have it.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/08/12 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Elssa

Here's a real oldie with a pretty melody...hope you enjoy.

Elssa - Welcome back! I really like the lush voicings and smooth runs on Blue Moon. This is one of my favorites. I hear myself playing it to a super slow tempo with a bass player, yet with a trillion perfectly placed notes ala Kenny Barron, but alas it is never to be.

This is a a super arrangement. Is this yours?
Posted by: slpianoproject

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/09/12 01:41 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forums as a member but i've been browsing around a while. English isn't my main language so excuse me if my writing isn't all that great. Here personally i've been playing classical since i start playing piano being young. I didn't play for like 10-15 years and now i'm back. That being said, here is my first contribution to the piano bar!

Its a piece by Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy: Songs without words Op.30 no.1. I haven't seen any classical music on here (or i missed it?) so i hope you guys enjoy it. Honestly i kinda feel alone between those jazz + pop musicians and composers but here it is anyway :

Ladypayne : Thats a quite stunning composition you got there, wish i could compose like that! You have talent!

Amaruk : I have this book at home and never learned nor listened to Comptine d'été no.2 (learned no 1). Now i want to learn it! This is such a great rendition, you bring up the melody in BOTH hands very well. Awesome dynamics. Bravo!

Kenjazz : Just wow! That can't be all midi is it? That saxophone is just too good to be midi…Anyway, thats some professional work to me.

Elssa : Awesome playing! Does that e-piano have some audio output? It'ld sound so gorgeous with real audio. Very good performance tho!
Posted by: Weiyan

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/09/12 03:25 AM

In past few weeks concentrated at tuning my piano. So no posting at beginning of month. It has so many great posts here so I have to use an afternoon to listen to the music.

Ladypayne: The higher notes like bell chime, very nice.
Amaruk: The videos are very good. I like the Yann's sheet music too.
Mark...: Very fluent playing.
Kenjazz: Very nice. It has evening mood. Autumn Leaves has autumn feel, although most trees here are ever green.
Inlanding: Early October, very nice. Angel Eyes is very good too.
BillM: Thunder Road, first time hear this song. Your sing is so great.
Rickster: Your family band is very cool.
Falmc: I had played the classical guitar version. The piano version is very good too.
cgyan: Why tear? So many good music here. No more tear forever.
pianoewb: The blues progression is very good.
Newman: The record is very good. The acoustic piano's tune is warm. Your voice is very cool, it like Rod Steward.
Eeaside Lee: Very good playing.
Elsa: The moon is shining.
slpianoprojectg: The song without words and the recording are very good.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/09/12 04:43 AM

This is my contribution to this month.

10. Minuet
First Lessons in Bach
http://www.hypedsound.com/music/songs.php?action=listen&id=26305

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/09/12 09:17 AM

Elssa~ that was a very excellent Blue Moon! Your playing is very smooth and controlled. I do hope you continue to improve. I am still recovering from a shoulder surgery and ankle surgery along with some associated complications. Be patient as best you can.

slpianoproject~ I really enjoyed your take on Mendelssohn! You play very relaxed and fluid, bringing out many of the fine nuances of the music. Welcome to the Piano Bar!

Weiyan- I will have to listen to your submission from a different computer when I am home later today.

Glen

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/09/12 11:19 AM

slpianoproject, thanks for a thoroughly enjoyable performance. You bring out the essence of this piece.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/09/12 11:21 AM

Weiyan, nice job with the Bach minuet.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/09/12 05:10 PM

A fun piece to play. I've been working on this off and on for quite a long time but never committed to actually finishing it off until now. I really enjoy Yann Tiersen's style of music and will hopefully look at some of his other pieces in the future.

Yann Tierson - La valse d'Amelie

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/09/12 10:09 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments. smile I'm not sure what's wrong with my shoulder/arm, but I rub some Tiger Balm and/or Bengay on it every day and that helps a bit.

STill catching up here...

Ladypayne; You are so creative; love the way your piece is both dramatic and sweet at times! thumb

KenJazz; Very cool "October's Lament"! Great vibes. smile Yes, I always make up my own arrangements, just look at a lead sheet and then add my own runs & fills and reharm, etc. Lots of fun.

Inlanding: Terrific "Early October" and "Angel Eyes - nice chops! I think you play very smoothly, too.. I was playing "Blue Moon" in key of Eb - one of my two favorite keys (C and Eb). I'm in my happy/comfort zone in that key and don't have to think about anything. BTW, do you play "September Song" by any chance?

Slpianoproject: Beautiful Mendelssohn piece and playing - one of my favorite composers. Great job! I try to play Rondo Capriccioso, but it needs a lot of work. Regarding recording, used to hook a cable up from computer to my portable DP but don't have a cable long enough now for my larger DP (Roland KR-7) in the other room.

Weiyan: Enjoyed your Bach Minuet - very nicely articulated. smile

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/09/12 10:44 PM

Yet another masterful interpretation, cgyan. Great job.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/10/12 02:51 AM

cgyan: I really enjoy your playing of Yann Tierson.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/10/12 07:54 AM

Elssa - I loved your terrific arrangement and performance of Blue Moon. As a yout I performed this song at the Jr. High talent show accompanying my self on my trust Harmony guitar. I never learned to play the bridge correctly and resorted to repeating the first verse over and over. Thanks for the (painful) memory.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/10/12 08:04 AM

Cgyan - this is an extremely well crafted video. I liked everything about it - the song selection, your masterful performance, and the high quality presentation. I suspect you are a bit of a perfectionist as your work is always flawless.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/10/12 08:08 AM

Weiyan - like Inlanding I also cannot play your recording (must require flash?). I'll try later on another computer.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/10/12 05:55 PM

Elsa,
Another great orchestral performance from you! It sounded great!! Thanks for sharing.

slpianoproject
Welcome to the forum and the piano bar! No, don't feel alone here playing classical piano music. Most of us enjoy classical music too! Your performance was stunning. I might add that piece on my to-play-list as I simply loved it. The sound was so warm and you play it so relaxed. A beautiful piano too!!! Please post more on here soon!!

Weiyan
That was a great piece! You play it very well.

Cgyan
That was a new piece to me…. NOT. smile Well, in a way it is because my version (linky) is terrible in comparison…. smile Well done and thanks for sharing!!

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/11/12 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: BillM
Weiyan - like Inlanding I also cannot play your recording (must require flash?). I'll try later on another computer.

It require flash. Next time may post to other webside.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/11/12 12:58 AM

Thanks so much, Amaruk! I loved your "Amelie" pieces - so smooth and dreamy! smile

Bill, I can really relate to your story.. Will never forget when I was young trying to perform the "Maple Leaf Rag" for a small recital and getting stuck in the middle, so just going back and repeating the first part again. Lesson learned: Never perform ragtime - especially on a huge clunky grand piano when you've only been playing on a little light-action upright. eek Your "Thunder Road" rendition was wonderful.. I think your voice/singing is so much better than Springsteen's. You really bring out the lyrics and your accompaniment is great!

Geez, takes about 2 minutes for what I type to print out - very long delay on this site. Anyone else with this problem here?

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/11/12 04:09 AM

Slpianoproject – nice work. (Don't feel so alone). However, I rarely comment on classical pieces because I don't "understand" them in the way I do contemporary music.
Cygan – classy - what is it that is so familiar in that repeating phrase that first appears at 12-14 secs?

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/11/12 04:37 AM

Hi. This story will probably be longer than the sound file.

Often when it gets late and I am tired I just noodle on the piano. It's a familiar term for guitar players, who often sit and watch TV with a guitar in their lap and noodle - let the mind and fingers just float freely. It's when you find yourself playing new/interesting things or stumbling across familiar melodies ... in short, discovering in a less than conscious way (almost meditative). In this way I've been developing an ability to play a little bit of melody in my RH while maintaining my fundamental chord style. It helped me to play the intro to Sleep's Dark and Silent Gate and I realise now that when I thought I hadn't learnt anything new in the last couple of months I actually have.

Am I right in starting to develop a view that a lot of melody can be played within the physical geography or close to the triad in the RH?

Over the weekend I was trying to record something else and gave up. So I started noodling and fell upon the attached. I've recorded just a sample because it's a bit repetitive and I haven't quite got the Zoom technique down (how to avoid the noise of the keys going up and down - bass cut seems to improve it I worked out after I recorded this).

Anyway I was pretty pleased with myself to do this by ear, from memory and with RH melody!

Short sample of RH work

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/12/12 02:25 AM

Hi Newman,

The short piece use mostly harmonic notes in melody, is this the meaning of "played within the physical geography or close to the triad in the RH"?

The short piece is like church music has stable harmony. There seems not thing exciting for lacking of dissonant notes.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/12/12 06:51 AM

Weiyan

The tune is "I don't know how to love him" by Andrew Lloyd-Webber (Lyrics Tim Rice) and is from the musical Jesus Christ Superstar.

My comment about melodies was that it seems to me that perhaps many melodies can be played within the keys encompassed by or close to the notes of a triad (or four fingered seventh etc).

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/12/12 10:22 AM

Weiyan

The tune is "I don't know how to love him" by Andrew Lloyd-Webber (Lyrics Tim Rice) and is from the musical Jesus Christ Superstar.

My comment about melodies was that it seems to me that perhaps many melodies can be played within the keys encompassed by or close to the notes of a triad (or four fingered seventh etc).

Does if the chord is C Maj., then the melody notes are within C, E and G? For classic composing method, first design the chord progression. Then fill in harmonic notes as melody. Then fill in some non-harmonic notes to make the melody smooth.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/12/12 12:12 PM

Finally got my piano tuned yesterday for the first time in over a year. Much better now. So to celebrate, here are a few songs I recorded this morning.

Angel Eyes

Darn That Dream

Days of Wine and Roses

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/12/12 03:54 PM

A mistake for me to be away from the bar for too long, as so much catching up to do. But, have taken some time to listen today and glad I have:

Amaruk - Cool video and very effective with this piece. Nice playing. It kind of sticks in your head, this one. Then when I heard again from Cgyan ... it was embedded permanently. Both very nice renditions.

Seaside - Did not recognize the label, but sure recognized the tune. There are some really nice changes in this. It is a very pretty piece and nicely played. Thanks for sharing it.

Ken - Love the autumn leaves. I think this is the nicest I have heard from you. Very effective when the strings come in. It is really a full and accomplished sound. Great job again, Ken.

Elssa - Thanks for the Blue Moon. All you folks are giving me so much more material I want to add to repertoire and this is another. Nicely played, Elssa.

slpianoproject - Wow, outstanding performance with Mendelssohn. Very nice and look forward to hearing more from you. Don't feel out of place here. There is classical from time to time, and soon to be more wink Thanks for sharing this.

Weijan - Your Bach is coming along nicely. I have a particular liking for Bach and believe you have chosen the correct path. Nice work, and look forward to more.

Cgyan - Really great playing ... nicely performed.

Newman - Nice noodling, keep building on it and sure you will be composing soon as well?

Dennis - Wow, great to hear your stuff again Dennis. Very nice pieces. Your piano sounds great. Is Angel Eyes also known as Sentimental Journey? Or, am I getting these mixed up. Anyway, liked them all but particularly Angel Eyes. Thanks, and nice playing as usual Dennis.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/12/12 03:57 PM

OK, you knew it was coming so here it is. I am celebrating my induction into the 500 Post Club today and this is what I wanted to play. So hope you like this pretty little arrangement of:

Windmills | How Insensitive - Medley

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/12/12 04:53 PM

Newman~ you are sounding very relaxed and confident. I like what you accomplished and I hope to hear more of it!

Dennis~ Great Angel Eyes! Loved those close harmonies in your arrangement of it. Great sound. You and I played the same tune, I didn't play the melody as it was written. Darn That Dream is equally as sensitively played. Days of Wine and Roses has that same sensitive feel, with those dense chords. Dennis, that is some very fine music!

Greener~ Michel LeGrand is one of my favorites. The Windmills was very nicely done. A great balance left and right - excellent rhythm. With Jobim's tune, you put Claudine Longet at the microphone! Great work, Jeff. Congratulations on breaking the 500 barrier! wink

Glen

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/12/12 05:34 PM

Denis – that’s a very relaxed style – nice choice of tunes – great melodies

Greener – the Windmills melody works much better without the lyrics don’t you think? You can hear the writer take the main idea and move it around the keyboard. It’s a fairly common writing technique – but hard to pull off as the challenge is to have a great ‘theme’ idea in the first place. (The other part of the medley I’m not familiar with)

... and thanks for the feedback, folks.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/12/12 10:49 PM

There are a lot of nice music this month.

Tx-dennis: Very good playing. Do you arrange it yourself? I like the jazzy feeling.

Greener: I feel your heart is beating. I like the simple and beauty of Bach. So I will keep playing Bach as a life long hobby.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/13/12 10:23 AM

Greener, love the Legrand medley. Windmills has always been a favorite of mine.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/13/12 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: TX-Dennis
Finally got my piano tuned yesterday for the first time in over a year. Much better now. So to celebrate, here are a few songs I recorded this morning.

Angel Eyes

Darn That Dream

Days of Wine and Roses

Have to go back and catch up with all the music...

Really like these pieces and well played Dennis, I'm working on an Interlude with a similar flavor to these pieces. Are these from sheets or ear?

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/13/12 06:48 PM

Elssa- Blue moon was very nice...you have a great flair for playing. Love seeing peoples playing on video too!

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/13/12 06:51 PM

slpianoproject that was awesome! High quality playing as well as a wonderful video. thanks...I'm jealous...:)

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/13/12 06:53 PM

Weiyan nice job on difficult Bach...

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/13/12 06:56 PM

cgyan you always nail whatever you are playing. High quality playing, sound and video...bravo!!!
Posted by: slpianoproject

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/14/12 01:46 AM

Greener - Good playing! Its a good way to celebrate your 500th post! Where you get this tune? From sheet music or by ear? Never heard it. Its good!
Posted by: MusicaMusique

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/14/12 10:49 AM

A new memeber saying Hello to everyone laugh!!

My name is Debbie, nice to meet you guys!

heart heart heart heart

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/14/12 11:01 AM

I'd would like to let you guys see one of me favourite video I made.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/14/12 11:03 AM

The most most most most most most most latest video of me, I made it just a few days ago.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/14/12 07:12 PM

Debbie, nice job on the two pieces. I particularly enjoyed the first piece. Shakira is a beautiful woman, but I am not overly fond of her music. Still, you did a great job with it as well.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/14/12 07:18 PM

Jeff, I had not noticed the melodic similarities between Angel Eyes and Sentimental Journey until you mentioned it. There are some similar bits, but no they are not the same song.

Weiyan and Mark..., I played from sheets which I have modified somewhat to suit my taste. The original sheets are from the book Simply Elegant Piano, Preston Keys, arranger.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/14/12 07:23 PM

Hi Debbie ~
Welcome to the October Piano Bar. I very much enjoyed your music and congratulations on overcoming the nerves of making a recording. Great work!

Glen

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/14/12 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: MusicaMusique

heart heart heart heart

Welcome! 3hearts

Your videos are very good. You are a seasoned begginer grin

Keep on sharing.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/14/12 10:26 PM

Weiyan and Mark..., I played from sheets which I have modified somewhat to suit my taste. The original sheets are from the book Simply Elegant Piano, Preston Keys, arranger.

Very good. Keep on creating your own music.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/15/12 12:18 AM

All the music is really good so far! Here's another submission from me. My own arrangement of Come thou font of every blessing with a little bit of Canon in D. The pictures in the video are all from Hatcher's Pass in Alaska smile

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/15/12 05:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Weiyan
Originally Posted By: MusicaMusique

heart heart heart heart

Welcome! 3hearts

Your videos are very good. You are a seasoned begginer grin

Keep on sharing.

Debbie, nice job on the two pieces. I particularly enjoyed the first piece. Shakira is a beautiful woman, but I am not overly fond of her music. Still, you did a great job with it as well.

Hi Debbie ~
Welcome to the October Piano Bar. I very much enjoyed your music and congratulations on overcoming the nerves of making a recording. Great work!

Glen

laugh Weiyan,
Thanks, I will share some new stuff soon.

laugh TX-Dennis,
Thanks a lot!!

laugh Glen,
Thanks! yes, I picked up piano again after 4 years without practicing...

heart
Debbie

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/15/12 05:41 AM

Originally Posted By: ladypayne
All the music is really good so far! Here's another submission from me. My own arrangement of Come thou font of every blessing with a little bit of Canon in D. The pictures in the video are all from Hatcher's Pass in Alaska smile

Beautiful views on the video as well as the music, thanks for sharing!
heart

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/15/12 06:40 AM

ladypayne: Really good music and video.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/15/12 09:30 AM

Thanks Dennis...added it to my Amazon list...

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/15/12 10:36 AM

Thanks all for listening and nice comments on my last entry. See I have more catching up to do already and will try and keep pace this month.

Welcome, Debbie. It's always great to see new folks joining and glad you've taken the stage.

Originally Posted By: slpianoproject
Greener - ... Where you get this tune? From sheet music or by ear? Never heard it. Its good!

None of the above actually. More like "monkey see, monkey do". I was shown how to play these pieces years ago and later made into a medley. Not unlike learning from YouTube tutorials I suppose.

If interested in either, you should be able to find arrangements for them, I would think, fairly readily, as neither are too obscure. The proper name for Windmills is "Windmills of Your Mind" and even Sting has taken a crack at this one.

Thanks for your interest.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/15/12 07:48 PM

Greener - I enjoyed your Come Rain or Come Shine. I am a big fan of these old standards and like the updating you gave this one. Your piano has a a cool sound.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/15/12 07:58 PM

Tx-Dennis - you have an authentic Piano Bar style of playing that is very easy on the ears. Love the arrangements and your elegant performances.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/15/12 08:05 PM

Greener - like Tx-Dennis your recording makes me feel like I am in a Piano Bar. I like the way you approach this piece - sophisticated but not over powering. Very Cool. Congratulations on your 500 posts.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/15/12 08:17 PM

Debbie - I watched both of your videos and enjoyed them very much - I'm partial to videos where you can actually see the artist, not just their "dancing hands". You have a very relaxed playing style. Very impressive work after being away from the piano for so long.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/15/12 11:39 PM

ladypayne, your hymn arrangement is strikingly pretty. Nice job.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/16/12 08:10 AM

A lot of good music to catch up on!

Greener - Nice medley on Windmills/How Insensitive. I would never have thought to put those two together. You kept the bossa rhythm going and that last transition came out nicely!

Tx-Dennis - Three of my favorites in one fell swoop! You brought some different arranging ideas to them all. They sounded great. Loved it...

Newman - I know what you mean about the pop melodies all seeming to conform to the chord triads. Those moments of discovery and clarity make learning music a lot of fun, don't they?

Slpianoproject - Welcome to the piano bar! Songs Without Words Op. 30 No. 1 was gorgeous and full sounding. That piano is some instrument. I love how the camera work caught the reflection not only of the keys, but of the hammers. The whole setting is very Zen...

Weiyan - Minuet First Lessons in Bach was very well played. Keep up the good work.

Cyan - Just a bullet-proof, beautiful treatment. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie - Welcome also to the Piano Bar! Good job on the two pieces and on overcoming your nerves. I hope to hear more from you in the future.

Ladypayne - Come Thou Font of Every Blessing was inspirational and well played. The images were breathtaking.
Posted by: jazztpt

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/16/12 02:08 PM

Hi everyone - haven't been visiting too often for the last couple of months. I had been spending far to much time sitting in front of my computer on this and other forums so I decided to take a step back. I also have a new piano smile so it is getting played a bit more than the old one.

When I started posting to the Piano Bar I set myself a target of posting something every month for a year with the aim of having something to work towards and improving my playing. Last November I also started contributing to the ABF recital, both these things have helped with my confidence and I feel my playing has improved.

Anyway, I am not here to tell my life story but to thank everyone for their past encouragement and always kind comments, I can't tell you how much the feedback here has helped me, on a number of levels.

I probably won't be dropping by the bar too much from now on but do intend to partake in the quarterly recitals, so I'll see you all there.

Happy playing.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/16/12 06:39 PM

I probably won't be dropping by the bar too much from now on but do intend to partake in the quarterly recitals, so I'll see you all there.

I, for one, will miss your wonderful contributions. Have fun with the new piano!

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/17/12 06:28 PM

I, for one, will miss your wonderful contributions.

Me too!

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/17/12 07:57 PM

Jazztpt,
Congratulations getting a new piano!! Too bad we don't get to enjoy it here but I am glad that you will continue to take part in the quarterly recitals... the next one being just around the corner....

If you get a chance, please share some pics of your new piano as we all love to hear piano stories!

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/18/12 04:39 AM

Hi, there are many good music this month. Thank for all viewers and contributors.

This is my second submission this month:

First Lessons in Bach
6. Minuet

https://www.box.com/s/nmbzgevzdp6jmwkzpr8l

Thank you for listening.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/18/12 08:24 AM

Here's one you might remember.

It Had To Be You

Posted by: TheodorN

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/18/12 11:49 AM

BillM, a nice rendition of a classic from Casablanca, more of this.
Weiyan, I notice improvements in your playing, nicely done. Maybe you're hitting some of the notes a bit too hard, however the first step is to get the timing right and worry about the dynamics when the timing is satisfactory. At least that's what some people say.
Posted by: JimF

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/18/12 01:27 PM

BillM - Another great classic with your distinctive vocals. You just keep banging out one hit after another. Well done.

Weiyan - You continue to progress with each submission. Good job bringing out both left-hand and right-hand melody lines in the Bach minuet. Nice work.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/18/12 10:43 PM

BillM: Your are a professional singer. Thank you for your comment. I didn't pay attention to dynamic and missing out the dynamic marks in the score. Just learn to keep the fluency at this moment. I hope there are improvement in coming days.

JimF: Thank you for your encouragement.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/19/12 06:22 AM

I recorded this one last week but didn't think it was any good. I listened again just now and figured ... it's an odd song, an odd melody, it's my own odd arrangement of it plus I've tried to play a little differently. What do you think?

Walking on the spot (Neil Finn)

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/19/12 06:33 AM

Bill - I think you and I like all the same material. That's a nice version (as always).(The version I'm most familiar with is Nilsson). I was listening to 'Crazy' the other day on the train on the way to work - both the Willie Nelson and Patsy Cline version. Hearing you do 'It Had To Be You' - I think you'd do 'Crazy' well.

LadyPayne - an interesting arrangement ( a wee Scots influence in part of that tune)

MusicaMusique - welcome

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/19/12 07:32 AM

I recorded this one last week but didn't think it was any good. I listened again just now and figured ... it's an odd song, it's my own odd arrangement of it plus I've tried to play a little differently. What do you think?

Wow, Newman - pitch perfect, and awesome range! You've really got an instrument made for rock ballads. You should do more with it. It sounded great.

BillM - Love this song (It had to be you). Nice arrangement, vocal and self-comping. If you are going to do a video, you should have some adoring beauty that you are singing this to in the shot wink

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/19/12 07:54 AM

Newman, I enjoyed Walking On The Spot, nicely done.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/19/12 12:24 PM

Newman - I'm not familiar with this song but thought you nailed it - your accompaniment was a nice complement to your excellent vocal.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/20/12 11:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Greener

Thanks all for listening and nice comments on my last entry. See I have more catching up to do already and will try and keep pace this month.

Welcome, Debbie. It's always great to see new folks joining and glad you've taken the stage.

Originally Posted By: slpianoproject
Greener - ... Where you get this tune? From sheet music or by ear? Never heard it. Its good!

None of the above actually. More like "monkey see, monkey do". I was shown how to play these pieces years ago and later made into a medley. Not unlike learning from YouTube tutorials I suppose.

If interested in either, you should be able to find arrangements for them, I would think, fairly readily, as neither are too obscure. The proper name for Windmills is "Windmills of Your Mind" and even Sting has taken a crack at this one.

Thanks for your interest.

Debbie - I watched both of your videos and enjoyed them very much - I'm partial to videos where you can actually see the artist, not just their "dancing hands". You have a very relaxed playing style. Very impressive work after being away from the piano for so long.

A lot of good music to catch up on!

Greener - Nice medley on Windmills/How Insensitive. I would never have thought to put those two together. You kept the bossa rhythm going and that last transition came out nicely!

Tx-Dennis - Three of my favorites in one fell swoop! You brought some different arranging ideas to them all. They sounded great. Loved it...

Newman - I know what you mean about the pop melodies all seeming to conform to the chord triads. Those moments of discovery and clarity make learning music a lot of fun, don't they?

Slpianoproject - Welcome to the piano bar! Songs Without Words Op. 30 No. 1 was gorgeous and full sounding. That piano is some instrument. I love how the camera work caught the reflection not only of the keys, but of the hammers. The whole setting is very Zen...

Weiyan - Minuet First Lessons in Bach was very well played. Keep up the good work.

Cyan - Just a bullet-proof, beautiful treatment. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie - Welcome also to the Piano Bar! Good job on the two pieces and on overcoming your nerves. I hope to hear more from you in the future.

Ladypayne - Come Thou Font of Every Blessing was inspirational and well played. The images were breathtaking.

Bill - I think you and I like all the same material. That's a nice version (as always).(The version I'm most familiar with is Nilsson). I was listening to 'Crazy' the other day on the train on the way to work - both the Willie Nelson and Patsy Cline version. Hearing you do 'It Had To Be You' - I think you'd do 'Crazy' well.

LadyPayne - an interesting arrangement ( a wee Scots influence in part of that tune)

MusicaMusique - welcome

BillM,
yes, I tried out the whole apartment to find the best place, and my cat keeps on yelling the whole time during recording, so I ended up to go to the other room. The only thing is, from the latest video, I forgot to turn on the light, so it is slightly dark.

Greener, Kenjazz, Newman,
Thanks, everyone!
heart

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/20/12 11:07 AM

It Had To Be You

BillM,

Very nice video, your voice is so great!
I also would like to have a microphone like yours.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/20/12 05:50 PM

More great music this month!!

BillM~ Very fine work on It Had To Be You! I really like that song and once again you bring out the best in the music you choose to share. Nicely understated accompaniment, perfect for your voice. Another great one!

Weiyan~ Your first lesson in Bach was very excellent. Tempo was pretty good and I am sure you will bring out dynamics as the piece becomes more comfortable under your fingers. Look forward to more of your Bach!

Newman~ First time I've heard, Walking On The Spot. You are gaining some good dexterity with those accompaniments, for certain. I think if you can bring out your voice over the accompaniment, it would be even better. I know the mic placement is always variable. I like your voice.

Glen

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/20/12 06:35 PM

I'm not sure if I'm punishing you the listeners or myself by doing another song so quickly. But after doing something that took a while to 'almost master' (ie Walking on the spot) I tend to find another but easier song for me to play. So, almost naturally, my thoughts turned to this one and after seeing a You Tube clip of Neil Finn performing it live on piano I figured I'd give it a go (although he fills it out more than I can presently do.

Don't dream it's over - Neil Finn

I spent absolutely all day Saturday working this one out - although I was cheeky enough to change one chord and add a few in on the chorus - and half the night to record it without (too many) mistakes.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/20/12 11:05 PM

More great music this month!!

Newman~ ... You are gaining some good dexterity with those accompaniments ... if you can bring out your voice over the accompaniment...

Glen

Thanks, Glen. Yes, just when I thought "I must work on my LH" I found I was able to do more with my RH. It's related to my comment earlier about discovering how much you can do within the 'geography' of where the RH chord is (or notes very close to eg. a 6th).

Still working on getting the balance between voice and piano with my H1.
Posted by: Pavel.K

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/21/12 09:05 AM

Weiyan, thanks for sharing those classics with us here. It is always pleasure to hear some pieces i have never heard before. I am newbee... :-)

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/21/12 10:28 AM

Newman, Don't Dream It's Over was great. Love that song, it must go on my to learn list. It'll be approximately number 57.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/23/12 12:29 AM

Here's short, extemporaneous tune I played in early October. Using little earbuds seem to make it sound best.

https://www.box.com/s/ei3z7urcdx6vpdiycr7a

From another angle, a super short take with a combo - Angle Eye

https://www.box.com/s/h5lrg54kvat1657yoey9

Glen

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/23/12 01:31 AM

Great stuff, Glen - The first piece has such clarity - and put me in the mood of a movie theme/opening scene piece ... you know, dawning in a small town street (one of those intersections with the traffic light hung in the middle), street lights just turning off, lone figure emerges from a bar - last piano note.

The second really swings (but just kind of stops ...)

Bill - It Had To be You - suits you.

Newman

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/23/12 07:40 PM

Weiyan, this is a nice performance of a fun piece. Great job.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/23/12 07:42 PM

Bill, you picked another old favorite of mine. I guess we have similar tastes in music. As usual, you killed it and dragged it home like a real pro. I wanted another chorus, though . . .

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/23/12 07:45 PM

Newman, I have never heard Walking on the Spot before. What an interesting song this is. I enjoyed your performance of it.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/23/12 07:48 PM

Newman, now this one I know. Don't Dream It's Over is a song I hear almost every day on the canned music at work. Great job!

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/23/12 07:52 PM

Glen, I really liked the first piece, and then there's that short swinging take on Angel Eyes. Fun.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/23/12 09:02 PM

Hi Dennis

Great playing just loved your arrangement of "days of wine and roses" could have been longer just wanted to hear more, simply beautiful thanks

BillM

Your singing is just awesome again

Lee

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/23/12 10:59 PM

Newman: I enjoy you playing Neil Finn's songs. Please do punish me grin .

Inlanding: Thank you for the smile and the Angle Eye.

There are many good music this month.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/28/12 02:25 AM

It Had To Be You

Still catching up with all the wonderful recordings here this month.. thumb

BillM: Great rendition of this favorite nostalgic song, It Had to be You - really enjoyed it. I love your singing. smile

Well, here's one of my favorite classical themes. Hope you enjoy it.

Warsaw Concerto

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/28/12 09:53 PM

Newman - Don't Dream It's Over may be your best yet. Your voice is very strong and perfectly suited for this one. I was not expecting the somewhat abrupt ending but it worked.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/28/12 09:59 PM

Inlanding - two wonderful recordings (both too short) that are a joy to listen to. Love the bass line in Angle Eye.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/28/12 10:07 PM

Elssa - This is the first song you have posted in a long time that I am not familiar with. As expected, it is a lovely, strong melody played to perfection. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/28/12 10:28 PM

Elssa: Thank you for sharing. I enjoy the Warsaw Concerto.

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/29/12 03:13 AM

Elssa - I haven't heard that in decades - and very suited to your style - nicely done.
Bill - Thanks for the compliment. I was surprised myself. I didn't think I could hit that top G in natural (ie not falsetto) voice anymore. Yes, I was going to do another chorus. But maybe you know how it is - after so many attempts and failures you tend to go for an easier route. I quit while I was ahead in the errors department (only two that I can hear).

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/29/12 08:47 PM

Thanks for the kind comments. smile I have to admit that I can't play the score/transcription, so just made up my own arrangement. Really love this piece, though.

Can't believe YouTube has clips of this great old classic WWII movie. Never see it on TV.

DANGEROUS MOONLIGHT

Re: October Piano Bar - 10/29/12 10:14 PM

Elsa, Thank you for sharing the video. I remembered a film saw in TV some years ago, its funny and sometimes sad.