Chords indicated as do re mi- - - - - 10/10/12 05:54 AM

I do not understand this. Can someone explain it to me. Thank you, John
Posted by: CarlosCC

Re: Chords indicated as do re mi- - - - - 10/10/12 07:07 AM

Go to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Properties_of_musical_modes
Posted by: john f

Re: Chords indicated as do re mi- - - - - 10/10/12 08:29 AM

I am still confused. If I say, play a number in three #s the first chord would normally be A Major. Is that LA? What would Si min be. I am trying to play Pepee by Tony Murena. John
Posted by: Andy Platt

Re: Chords indicated as do re mi- - - - - 10/10/12 10:00 AM

There are two forms of solfège (do-re-mi): moveable and fixed.

Fixed is useless IMHO, might as well just learn the note names so I'll ignore it.

For moveable, the first note of your scale (in this case A major) is "do". So "do" = A; for A major it is:

do - A
re - B
mi - C#
fa - D
sol - E
la - F#
ti - G#
do - A

So, your A major chord would be do-mi-sol.

Up to you whether you use it; I never did as a child and don't now. My piano teacher, when checking my theory, always uses it.
Posted by: mpmusic

Re: Chords indicated as do re mi- - - - - 10/10/12 04:37 PM

Here in Portugal is used:

A - Lá
B - Si
C - Dó
D - Ré
E - Mi
F - Fá
G - Sol
Posted by: PianoStudent88

Re: Chords indicated as do re mi- - - - - 10/10/12 05:33 PM

john f, can you explain more about where you're seeing do-re-mi, and how you're needing to use it.

For example: are you trying to translate your music into the do-re-mi terms? Do you have music labeled in do-re-mi and need to know the letters? Do you have a music teacher teaching you using moveable do? Etc.?

Which system do you know already, do-re-mi or letters? That is, if I point to a key on the piano, what is your name for it? Let's say, the white key to the left of the three black keys.

Re: Chords indicated as do re mi- - - - - 10/10/12 10:13 PM

I am trying to pla a piece called "Pepee". Music of Tony Murena. It starts out in three sharps then goes to four sharps and then to two sharps for the trio.

Where there is there is three sharps there is the markings LA, Si min, FA#7e, MI7e, Mi7*,Si7*; and FA#7a. The small e and a are raised like the *.

Where there is four sharps there is the markings MI and Si7*.

Where there is two sharps thee is the markings RE, Sib, La7*,Re7*,SOL, and SOL min.

Written for Accordeon. Single note melody w/chords as above
cho

Re: Chords indicated as do re mi- - - - - 10/10/12 10:16 PM

I have no teacher. I live in Thailand and there is no English speaking teacher here. I have taken non-classical lessons in the past. I have never studied any of the do re mi system before. I am totally lost. John
Posted by: LoPresti

Chords indicated as do re mi- - - - - 10/10/12 10:46 PM

John,

Try these chords on for size:

LA = A major
Si min = B minor
FA#7e = F#7
MI7e = E7
Mi7* = Em7
Si7* = Bm7
FA#7a = F#7

MI = E major
Si7* = Bm7

RE = D major
Sib = Bb minor
La7* = Am7
Re7* = Dm7
SOL = F major
SOL min = F minor

Those super-text (exponential) figures are either register key markings for the Accordian or Bandoneon, or simply indicate which note (note NAME) of the chord to play in the bass. If my Uncle Tom were still alive, he could clear up that question.

Ed

Re: Chords indicated as do re mi- - - - - 10/11/12 10:29 PM

Thanks everybody. Now I have to learn to play the song. I don't know how fast to play it as there is no instruction, but, for sure I am playing it way to slow now. John