It doesn't get better.

Posted by: Michael_99

It doesn't get better. - 10/12/12 07:16 AM

It doesn't get better - for me.

I don't know why I wake up everyday at between 3:00 and 4:00 a.m. No sounds of anything, cars, people, just the old kitchen tap from the 1940s that drips no matter how many rubber washers I replace it with. The open screened window, chills in any October day or evening, the house, enough that you need more than a t-shirt but a hoodie will do and a cap with ear flaps - not a handsome picture but warm and cozy. With freshly washed hands, I flip open the piano and expose the white and black ivory - figuratively speaking - and sit down and play anything, softly and slowly, crawling through the measures. It doesn't get better.

And then off to bed again before I have to get up!
Posted by: Bobpickle

Re: It doesn't get better. - 10/12/12 03:27 PM

I can't tell if this is a question or a Thoreau-esque waxing poetic. I can, however, tell you that if I were to wake up in the middle of the night and sit down at the piano, I think it unlikely that I would be able to play particularly competently.

Perhaps you can elaborate on [any] concerns.
Posted by: malkin

Re: It doesn't get better. - 10/12/12 07:59 PM

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright.

And if it is your piano and you love it, it is much better than alright. It sounds lovely.
Posted by: Greener

Re: It doesn't get better. - 10/12/12 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Michael_99

I don't know why I wake up everyday at between 3:00 and 4:00 a.m.

Do you drink heavy before you go to bed? I used to drink heavy before I went to bed and I woke up every time. laugh

Just teasing, Michael. Glad you enjoy it so much. I wish I could play in the middle of the night. Or even past 9:00 PM. I've been in my building for years and was so happy that I never had one complaint and was playing quite late in some instances.

Then I went to a condo board meeting and got the unwanted surprise. I was trying to be considerate and specifically asked my neighbour below me if he could hear my piano. Turns out, he wasn't as impressed with my playing as I was, and now I have a 9:00 PM curfew frown .
Posted by: BenPiano

Re: It doesn't get better. - 10/12/12 11:55 PM

Glad to hear you're taking advantage of your time between first and second sleep. smile

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

Re: It doesn't get better. - 10/13/12 12:19 AM

My experience, Greener, is that some condo owners forget they don't have a detached dwelling and everyone has to give and take with your neighbours. You may know that if you have a radio or tv at a moderate volume level, you can play/practice any instrument under - below the radio/tv volume level and others are obvious or not bothered by the sounds - blended sounds produced. When I started playing - 6 months it was on my Clavinova - loved playing so much I bought an acoustical piano. After three months of playing, I am just starting to be able to play softly - pp -

Re: It doesn't get better. - 10/13/12 12:48 AM

Thanks, BenPiano, for the sleep reference and the you tube reference. I just finished Fletcher Book 1 and am onto Book 2 which starts me playing both hands together as you were doing in your video. I have seen references to Scriabin but only appreciated it was music - so it was nice to listen to you play
Scrabin Prelude - Op 17 No 6.
Posted by: Derulux

Re: It doesn't get better. - 10/13/12 01:00 AM

Instead of replacing washers, replace the tap. Then it won't drip. And you'll be helping the environment one drip at a time. wink

Re: It doesn't get better. - 10/13/12 01:02 AM

Malkin, "Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright" - sounds like the lyrics of a good song!

Even "And if it is your piano and you love, it is much better than alright" - sounds like even more good lyrics!

Re: It doesn't get better. - 10/13/12 01:08 AM

Derulux, unfortunately, a drip isn't bright enough to figure it out - but now that you have told me - I will put money aside for new taps for Christmas ! ! !
Posted by: EdwardianPiano

Re: It doesn't get better. - 10/13/12 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: BenPiano
Glad to hear you're taking advantage of your time between first and second sleep. smile

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

Interesting that Ben. I like 10 hours sleep me, never mind eigth hours. Sleeping is brill!