OT: Storm - Sandy

Posted by: musdan

OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/28/12 05:49 PM

Hope all my PW friends "batten down the hatches" and stay
safe. smile
Posted by: casinitaly

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/28/12 06:36 PM

Indeed! Praying everyone who is at risk stays safe and sound - it looks like this could hit really intensely.
Posted by: bessel

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/28/12 06:45 PM

I was supposed to fly to NJ tomorrow morning, but that's been called off, thank goodness.

Many friends and relatives out there battening down the hatches and getting ready - I hope everyone stays dry, and keeps their pianos that way too. smile
Posted by: Mark...

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/28/12 08:21 PM

My paramedic assignment for the next two nights is just outside Long Beach Island NJ...

I guess I'm going to get wet... smile
Posted by: ClsscLib

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/28/12 10:43 PM

Mark, we all owe so much to you and all the other first responders who have to be out in this mess. Stay safe!
Posted by: Derulux

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/28/12 10:49 PM

Mark- make sure you wear a (wet)suit. It's important to make a good first impression. wink

I'm in the blast zone, myself, but if the sea climbs up this high.. time to start building an ark.
Posted by: musdan

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/28/12 11:04 PM

Mark you do good work, stay safe.
Posted by: warlock214

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/28/12 11:33 PM

Stay safe all!!
Posted by: Andy Platt

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/29/12 06:43 AM

If (OK, when!) my power goes out, my piano is one of the things that works just as well before. Unfortunately the rest of my family might not want to gather round and get entertained ...

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/29/12 07:05 AM

Mark..be safe!

Andy.... they may well appreciate the distraction!!!
Posted by: Elssa

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/29/12 08:58 PM

Take good care, everyone. I live about an hour above NYC along the Hudson and the lights are flickering and wind whipping up now. I got flooded & lost power for 5+ days with Irene last year, and it's supposed to happen again. Stay warm and dry.
Posted by: Starr Keys

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/29/12 10:08 PM

I tried to call my family in upstate New York earlier. The land line was busy and I left a message on the cell. There are children in the house so now I'm thinking its too late for calling the landline again.
Posted by: Andy Platt

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/30/12 02:27 PM

Post storm update for me (Arlington, VA). Could have been worse. There were a lot fewer power outages and downed trees than a couple of recent much smaller storms. I suspect that's largely due to those other storms having taken their toll.

We actually kept power all the way through which is a first! But our neighbor's tree did come crashing through the fence into our yard - not much damage really though.

And even without power, we did have a mini family piano session. In honor of the storm's name I played and sang selections from Grease. My wife sang along with a couple; my son requested Greased Lightening and my daughter hid in her room!
Posted by: MaryBee

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/30/12 05:48 PM

Power is out for us since late yesterday afternoon. They say it may be back in a few days. frown House temperature was a little cold, 60degF this morning. I played the piano by candlelight last night, which was kind of cool, but not really productive as a practice session. Listening to the wind throughout the night was awesome. Lucky to avoid any flooding, although it's hitting others in the area.
Posted by: justpin

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/30/12 06:55 PM

Great argument for an acoustic piano me thinks!

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/30/12 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark...
My paramedic assignment for the next two nights is just outside Long Beach Island NJ...

I guess I'm going to get wet... smile

Saw the reports today.. LBI got nailed. The entire island was virtually gone. How'd you fare? Probably still out there responding, I imagine, but give us an update if you get a sec.
Posted by: wayne33yrs

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/30/12 07:28 PM

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washing...hurricane-sandy

hmmmmmmmmmmm smile
Posted by: Little_Blue_Engine

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/30/12 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryBee
Power is out for us since late yesterday afternoon. They say it may be back in a few days. frown House temperature was a little cold, 60degF this morning. I played the piano by candlelight last night, which was kind of cool, but not really productive as a practice session. Listening to the wind throughout the night was awesome. Lucky to avoid any flooding, although it's hitting others in the area.
Compared the the rest of the Cleveland area we did good. Our basement is wet and the Black River is covering a big chunk of the yard but it's pretty much what we were expecting. I'm happy we've had power the whole time and didn't lose any trees or shingles.

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/30/12 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs

I think that, while it may help a little, if he had engineered it, why would he hit the states that are already his strongest supporters? I think he would have hit a few red states instead.. wink
Posted by: bessel

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/30/12 10:07 PM

I hope your power is back up soon - my boys got treated to a session of us "preparing for the worst, hoping for the best" yesterday, as we stored water and found all the flashlights in the house... lots of wind but only one limb down, and we didn't lose power. I was supposed to travel to Princeton NJ on Monday, but canceled that, and boy am I glad... lots worse there, from what I hear, though not as bad as some.

Here's hoping all the eastern ABF'ers are safe and dry.
Posted by: Strings & Wood

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/30/12 10:24 PM

I saw pictures tonight on the news. It is hard to comprehend the clean up and restoration ahead. My thoughts and wishes for a speedy recovery,as well as favorable weather, are with all of you effected by the storm.
Posted by: EdwardianPiano

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/31/12 09:58 AM

Hope everyone is ok.

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 10/31/12 12:08 PM

I've been following the stories on the news - and checking posts here....

Andy - glad you got through it so lightly!

I am stunned that the storm got as far as Cleveland -and I hope you get your power back soon MaryBee. I had not realized that Bessel and LBE are also in Ohio.
Glad you are all safe, but wow, what stress.

As for the folks closer to the coast, what a disheartening mess to deal with - this is not going to be a quick clean up, not by any stretch of the imagination.
Posted by: mom3gram

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 11/04/12 11:41 PM

Just got power back tonight. Seven days in the dark. But we did have food, water, and my stove is natural gas, so I was able to cook. I missed getting online, playing my (digital) piano, and being able to read or watch tv, but I'm so grateful that I got off so lucky. And thanks to Center Point Energy from Texas who drove all the way to New Jersey to put our poles, transformers and wires back this afternoon.

Now if we can just get rid of the gas lines.
Posted by: tangleweeds

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 11/05/12 12:08 AM

Great to hear that you weathered the storm OK, mom3gram. smile
Posted by: jotur

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 11/05/12 12:18 AM

Yea! Welcome back, mom3gram! Glad to hear you're ok, and hope you didn't get too cold!

Cathy

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 11/05/12 01:06 AM

mom3gram-- that must be a relief to have electricity back. Welcome back to the light!
Posted by: Little_Blue_Engine

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 11/05/12 08:27 PM

mom3gram-- that must be a relief to have electricity back. Welcome back to the light!
You have yours back Mary Bee? I know Avon Lake still didn't have power in many places when this mornings paper went to print. I think that's the last area in Lorain county still out. I haven't heard lately if all of Cuyahoga was back on yet.

Re: OT: Storm - Sandy - 11/06/12 01:07 PM

Yes, we got ours back on Friday afternoon. It was so nice to come home to a warm house again! Then on Sunday night our furnace went out (not related to the storm). So out came the hats and sweatshirts again. smile But my husband got it fixed Monday morning, so we're good again.

I think they said there are were still a few thousand without power as of yesterday. Hopefully those will get taken care of very soon.