Piano Improvisation

Posted by: mpmusic

Piano Improvisation - 11/01/12 03:08 PM

Hi, what do you think about my first piano improvisation (C# minor)?

Please post any question, suggestion, critic. It will help me to improve! smile

Curiosity: Can you see what is the music in the right page? I assure you know the music smile

Thanks,
Miguel
Posted by: Bobpickle

Re: Piano Improvisation - 11/02/12 04:30 AM

it took a second, but I recognized the music

Good playing
Posted by: casinitaly

Re: Piano Improvisation - 11/02/12 05:12 AM

I don't recognize the original piece.... but I liked what you played smile
Posted by: UK Paul UK

Re: Piano Improvisation - 11/02/12 05:33 AM

thumb

Re: Piano Improvisation - 11/02/12 07:51 AM

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
I don't recognize the original piece.... but I liked what you played smile

I'm glad you like it smile

The piece I asked to recognize is the one in the sheet music in the right page of the book in the video wink
Posted by: Derulux

Re: Piano Improvisation - 11/02/12 08:06 AM

Looks like Fur Elise, but I was never good with figuring out what blurry images are. whistle

For your improvisation, I do like it. Your hands look a little stiff and "tentative", which is common when beginning improv, mostly because you're trying to anticipate what you're about to play and are trying to control your hands a little too much to make "it" happen. I would suggest trying to let go of some of this, and if you miss notes at first, you miss notes. Happens.

Also, try to pay attention to phrasing. At the beginning, dynamic swells and troughs were a little off the phrase. It got better as you went along.

But overall, this is a very very nice first attempt. Please keep it up and keep posting. I enjoyed that. smile

Re: Piano Improvisation - 11/02/12 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Derulux
Looks like Fur Elise, but I was never good with figuring out what blurry images are. whistle

For your improvisation, I do like it. Your hands look a little stiff and "tentative", which is common when beginning improv, mostly because you're trying to anticipate what you're about to play and are trying to control your hands a little too much to make "it" happen. I would suggest trying to let go of some of this, and if you miss notes at first, you miss notes. Happens.

Also, try to pay attention to phrasing. At the beginning, dynamic swells and troughs were a little off the phrase. It got better as you went along.

But overall, this is a very very nice first attempt. Please keep it up and keep posting. I enjoyed that. smile

I'm glad you like it, and thanks for the suggestions! smile

And yes, is Fur Elise the music in the sheet smile

Re: Piano Improvisation - 11/07/12 02:54 PM

My second improvisation smile

I have a question: Is this in C Major or A minor? I think is A minor but I'm not sure...

Thanks,
Miguel
Posted by: EdwardianPiano

Re: Piano Improvisation - 11/07/12 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: mpmusic
Hi, what do you think about my first piano improvisation (C# minor)?

Please post any question, suggestion, critic. It will help me to improve! smile

Curiosity: Can you see what is the music in the right page? I assure you know the music smile

Thanks,
Miguel

I think that was a really nice melody Miguel. How long did it take for you to write it and how long have you been learning piano?

Re: Piano Improvisation - 11/07/12 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: mpmusic
My second improvisation smile

I have a question: Is this in C Major or A minor? I think is A minor but I'm not sure...

Thanks,
Miguel

Sounds like A minor to me Miguel- but I'm an absolute beginner so wait and see what one of the advanced pianists says!

Re: Piano Improvisation - 11/07/12 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano

I think that was a really nice melody Miguel. How long did it take for you to write it and how long have you been learning piano?

Thanks, I didn't write it, is an improvisation... I play with more dedication since May 2012, but I've played a bit since 2010, mostly improvising.

Re: Piano Improvisation - 11/07/12 06:22 PM

I thought an improvisation is something someone writes on piano! I have loads to learn!
Posted by: Brian Lucas

Re: Piano Improvisation - 11/07/12 11:38 PM

Nice. As far as the key, it stays hidden in the beginning. One could argue that it is in D dorian to start as well, since it has a modal feel to it. However, as soon as you hit that G#, the listener's ear hears A minor as the tonic, so it finishes up sounding like A minor.
Posted by: Maechre

Re: Piano Improvisation - 11/08/12 04:14 AM

I would agree with Brian that the mode you're playing in is dorian. Since the Dm is the focus of most of the piece, I think you just finish with an unresolved 5th, the Am.

Re: Piano Improvisation - 11/08/12 06:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Brian Lucas
Nice. As far as the key, it stays hidden in the beginning. One could argue that it is in D dorian to start as well, since it has a modal feel to it. However, as soon as you hit that G#, the listener's ear hears A minor as the tonic, so it finishes up sounding like A minor.

Originally Posted By: Maechre
I would agree with Brian that the mode you're playing in is dorian. Since the Dm is the focus of most of the piece, I think you just finish with an unresolved 5th, the Am.

Thanks for the explanation smile

Re: Piano Improvisation - 11/08/12 09:56 AM

I haven't got onto Dorian yet- still doing major, minor and my teacher just started showing me melodic and harmonic. I must be a right geek as I find key signatures interesting! ha