Debussy question

Posted by: EdwardianPiano

Debussy question - 11/10/12 06:05 PM

They keep playing the Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune on Classic FM. It's very haunting but driving me a little potty as I feel quite certain it was used in an old 1940s film- possibly Rebecca. I always see the sea and a cold wind swept beach when listening to it. Amyone know if indeed it was used in a 1940s film?

EDIT- I found it was in a film called Portrait of Jennie, by reading about Debussy. I don't think I have seen this film before. Found it on you tube- full film!
Posted by: jshelton

Re: Debussy question - 11/11/12 12:14 PM

If I recall correctly the movie "portrait of Jenny" used the Arabesque #1 as the background music.

Re: Debussy question - 11/11/12 12:57 PM

I watched the film on you tube earlier- great film actually. Yes the Prelude is in it and other Debussy music- maybe it was the Arabesque as well.
Posted by: jshelton

Re: Debussy question - 11/12/12 11:55 AM

After thinking about it I remember the prelude was used. You are correct. I thought it was an excellent movie. It seems they used the Arabesque for happy scenes and the prelude for the haunting ethereal scenes. Kind of appropriate since it was a ghost/love story.

Re: Debussy question - 11/12/12 06:46 PM

Such a good film- some of the old films are the best. I watched a Fred Astaire film tonight!