I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up

Posted by: Juliewharton

I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up - 11/11/12 07:44 PM

I moved here to FL five years ago, and got laid off from my job. I was lucky and was able to get another one, but I'm making FAR less than I did before. The depression that set in after that, coupled with the decline in my Dad's health and his passing last June led me to come to a complete stop in playing my once beloved U1.

However, piano kept pulling at me. I wanted to play, but couldn't surmount the depression to open the lid and take out the books.

Until this week...I finally spent some time after work off the couch and on the piano bench. Sure, I've lost a LOT of ground, but tonight for the first time in ages, I felt the joy of having music come out from under my fingers again.

I still can't afford lessons, I can barely afford rent-but I can take that time every day to feel that small joy again. I know my father, who loved my piano, would be happy to know that I'm playing again.

I read something on the "giving up" thread about an "It Gets Better" movement for piano students, I agree!
Posted by: alans

Re: I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up - 11/11/12 07:56 PM

Thank-you for your beautiful and very inspiring message. I wish you the best of luck and hope you continue to have the strength to continue practicing. Music is such a transformative and healing thing, a little bit can go a long way.
Posted by: aTallGuyNH

Re: I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up - 11/11/12 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Juliewharton
I read something on the "giving up" thread about an "It Gets Better" movement for piano students, I agree!

This could become that thread!

Glad to hear you are doing better, and noticing that this is your 1st post, I'll opine that this forum is as good a substitute as any for those of us unable to afford lessons.
Posted by: Sand Tiger

Re: I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up - 11/11/12 10:26 PM

Welcome to the forum Julie. Thank you for your story. I'm sure many others will find comfort in reading it.

Personally, my music has gotten me through some dark times. When the world seems like it is crashing down, I can often find solace in playing music.
Posted by: Michael_99

Re: I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up - 11/12/12 01:33 AM

Julie,

Thank you for your post. I am pleased you found your way to the piano and began playing again. No matter how small the steps, one step after the next. I had my Clavinova gathering dust for at least 10 years and then one day, like you, I took out a book, for me, Book 1 of playing the piano and I lasted about 10 minutes because I also had health problems, but I was surprised after a few days that I enjoyed playing what little I knew so I kept going. It is nice to learn a new piece but it is also very nice to play the little tunes that I have learned from the book. I am on a disability pension so money is sparse but there is a lot you can learn playing from a book and as others have pointed out, the people on the forum are very patient and helpful with our questions.
Posted by: Peter K. Mose

Re: I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up - 11/12/12 01:57 AM

Julie, superb debut post! Of course your father would be happy with this turn of events, to know his girl is deriving pleasure again from her musical pursuits.

Cheers!
Posted by: malkin

Re: I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up - 11/12/12 08:54 AM

Welcome back to your piano; I hope it brings you much joy.

Remember, if the couch calls you hard, you can get help for depression--there are public resources for mental health. You might find something for low- or no-cost.
Posted by: EdwardianPiano

Re: I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up - 11/12/12 07:05 PM

Welcome to the forum Julie- you are amongst friends here; it is lovely to read how you have come back to piano. Money is tight for me too as I haven't paid work - many of us are feeling the pinch right now. Let's hope things change gor the better! I'm just about managing fortnightly piano lessons because my teacher charges very little. He is also very good so I know how lucky I am. I think your Dad would be happy you are enjoying piano again.