Playing by ear

Posted by: mpmusic

Playing by ear - 11/17/12 05:04 PM

Hi, I just want to share my first cover played by ear:

Sorry about the mistakes...

Have you any suggestion to improvements?

Thanks,
Miguel
Posted by: Nicholas Mihaila

Re: Playing by ear - 11/18/12 09:28 PM

Not bad. I actually know this piece. It seems like you maintained the basic structure while simplifying the chords. If you're looking for ways to improve it, I'd say to try to include more variations in the bass. For example, instead of playing a broken chord by repeating notes in a 1-2-3-2-1-2-3 pattern, maybe introduce a fourth note, creating a pattern like 1-2-3-2-4-2-3-2-1. Just an idea.

Re: Playing by ear - 11/19/12 05:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Nicholas Mihaila
Not bad. I actually know this piece. It seems like you maintained the basic structure while simplifying the chords. If you're looking for ways to improve it, I'd say to try to include more variations in the bass. For example, instead of playing a broken chord by repeating notes in a 1-2-3-2-1-2-3 pattern, maybe introduce a fourth note, creating a pattern like 1-2-3-2-4-2-3-2-1. Just an idea.

Thanks for the suggestion smile
Yes the structure is maintained but when I've more time maybe I will try to make it with more variations.
This is a version to beginners, like me smile
Posted by: Nicholas Mihaila

Re: Playing by ear - 11/19/12 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: mpmusic
Originally Posted By: Nicholas Mihaila

Thanks for the suggestion smile
Yes the structure is maintained but when I've more time maybe I will try to make it with more variations.
This is a version to beginners, like me smile

Well, you're doing well. smile

Re: Playing by ear - 12/17/12 06:21 AM

Hi, this weekend I decided to do a cover of Silent Night here is the result smile

If you have any suggestion please post a comment, it will help me to improve smile

Thanks,
Miguel
Posted by: fizikisto

Re: Playing by ear - 12/17/12 08:27 AM

I really like the silent night arrangement. For a beginner that's excellent. I thought your dynamics were quite good. There were a few spots where I felt your rhythm was a bit off, especially near the beginning of the piece (some of the chord changes need to be a bit smoother -- though once you got into the piece they were much better). You may already be doing this, but If not I'd play it with a metronome and tighten up your timing and the smoothness of the chord changes through the whole piece. Otherwise keep up the good work! well done smile
Posted by: Dazzie2

Re: Playing by ear - 12/17/12 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: mpmusic
Hi, I just want to share my first cover played by ear:

Sorry about the mistakes...

Have you any suggestion to improvements?

Thanks,
Miguel
That’s cool! I started to play by ear but I am still quite new only been playing for about a year with know experience in playing piano . But looking at what your doing I also play a very similar left hand pattern to you and it works for some songs but not others . I have been working on “Can You Feel The Love Tonight by Elton john I think I have the basics of the song but it will never sound 100% like the original song . How do you post your u tube videos up like that I could only do mine in a link ?

Re: Playing by ear - 12/17/12 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: fizikisto
I really like the silent night arrangement. For a beginner that's excellent. I thought your dynamics were quite good. There were a few spots where I felt your rhythm was a bit off, especially near the beginning of the piece (some of the chord changes need to be a bit smoother -- though once you got into the piece they were much better). You may already be doing this, but If not I'd play it with a metronome and tighten up your timing and the smoothness of the chord changes through the whole piece. Otherwise keep up the good work! well done smile

Thanks! smile Yes I need to practice more the chord changes. It's not easy to record the performance as I think it should be because there are always some mistakes and after almost one hour recording I'm happy with this version with only a cut at the end. Definitely I need more practice smile

I have to admit I never used a metronome... But I'm conscientious that a metronome could be a very useful tool to practice.

Re: Playing by ear - 12/17/12 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Dazzie2
That’s cool! I started to play by ear but I am still quite new only been playing for about a year with know experience in playing piano . But looking at what your doing I also play a very similar left hand pattern to you and it works for some songs but not others . I have been working on “Can You Feel The Love Tonight by Elton john I think I have the basics of the song but it will never sound 100% like the original song . How do you post your u tube videos up like that I could only do mine in a link ?

Yes, with some songs it works well but there are songs with more complex chords, they could be replaced with more basic chords but it's not the same thing smile

To post a video this way just choose "Enter a media tag"/"Youtube video" and paste the link.
Posted by: manyhands

Re: Playing by ear - 12/17/12 08:29 PM

wow I'm impressed by the ear playing