Electronic sheet music setup

Posted by: Schroeder II

Electronic sheet music setup - 11/19/12 06:34 PM

I saw something cool on vacation in Mexico.
Keyboard player had what looked to be an e-reader with his sheet music on it. PDF files I would assume.

Is this common? Can someone steer me in the right direction?

I like the idea of being able to carry thousands of sheets on hand and (even better) perhaps expanding the font a little for these ancient eyes LOL
Posted by: justpin

Re: Electronic sheet music setup - 11/19/12 06:45 PM

I've been thinking of this tbh, as my sheet music collection is all over the place....
Posted by: FormerlyFlute

Re: Electronic sheet music setup - 11/19/12 07:25 PM

I saw Joshua Bell in concert on Nov. 1. His pianist was using an iPad for his music, turning pages with a foot pedal. Everyone was marveling at it and several took pictures during the intermission.

Another job lost to technology....
Posted by: MylesB

Re: Electronic sheet music setup - 11/20/12 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: FormerlyFlute

Another job lost to technology....

Let me seeeeee. Something that will help everybody. And we save one part of a part part-time job. Maybe you have somebody coming to your house just to flip a page but i don't. App me up asap!

"some people only see the car in front and some look beyond"
Posted by: aTallGuyNH

Re: Electronic sheet music setup - 11/20/12 08:56 PM

See www.airturn.com
Posted by: Barbareola

Re: Electronic sheet music setup - 11/21/12 10:02 AM

Has anybody here tried this? It's not cheap, but if it works well, it might be worth an investment.
Posted by: FormerlyFlute

Re: Electronic sheet music setup - 11/21/12 11:52 AM

I was thinking of music students and part time jobs - exactly. Just lamenting, not criticizing.
Posted by: kingdon

Re: Electronic sheet music setup - 11/21/12 01:40 PM

You can find the software to display the PDF music sheets at musicreader.net
Posted by: sinophilia

Re: Electronic sheet music setup - 11/21/12 03:01 PM

IMO, a 9,7" tablet like the iPad is the minimum size you need to read music properly. I wouldn't use my Kindle for sheet music, it's just too small and pdf handling is awkward. For the iPad there is Virtual Sheet Music and many other similar apps.
Posted by: griffin2417

Re: Electronic sheet music setup - 12/02/12 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: sinophilia
IMO, a 9,7" tablet like the iPad is the minimum size you need to read music properly. I wouldn't use my Kindle for sheet music, it's just too small and pdf handling is awkward. For the iPad there is Virtual Sheet Music and many other similar apps.

I just used my iPad for the Satie Themed Recital on ABF. During my practice sessions leading up the recital I used standard paper sheet music. I only had one month to learn my piece, and realized i was going to have to use sheet music for the recital because I didn't have enough time to memorize.

I experimented with some options and decided to use the iPad to read while I performed my selection. I chose to turn the pages on the screen with a quick flick of my fingers. It seemed to work okay without spending money on the foot pedal.

Here's a link if you want get an idea.