Amalfi Coast Music Festival Piano Program

Posted by: ClsscLib

Amalfi Coast Music Festival Piano Program - 11/23/12 03:31 PM

Anyone have any experience with this program? Is it just for experts, or is it the sort of thing that could be enjoyable for an early intermediate pianist? Adults welcome, or aimed at young people?

I didn't find the website terribly informative, but it may be tailored for people who already know all about the program.

Any info appreciated!
Posted by: casinitaly

Re: Amalfi Coast Music Festival Piano Program - 11/26/12 03:06 AM

A website should never be tailored to those who already know about it! smile

But I certainly agree, this one doesn't seem to be as clear as it could be.

My guess is that it would be of greater benefit to those with more experience.
The home page says An Intensive Training & Performance Program
For Musicians & Advanced Music Students

Looking at the program it seems to me that an early-intermediate level performer (which is what I would consider myself to be also) might not get a lot of benefit simply because we're still looking at rather basic techniques.
I'd write to them to clarify, but my gut feeling is that it would be a real struggle for an early-intermediate player.

You might want to check out Summer Keys. Sam S who participates in this forum has been there a few times (if you search for Sam S under user names, and then click on his posts you can find where he discusses his experiences)

Here is a link to the site
http://summerkeys.com/2012-piono-workshop/32/

It clearly says that your experience level is not important - you can participate as a beginner even!

On the other hand... The Amalfi Coast is a stunning place, well worth a visit just for its own sake! With the added bonus of the experience of performances in churches and palazzi ... that would be pretty exciting. smile
Posted by: ClsscLib

Re: Amalfi Coast Music Festival Piano Program - 11/26/12 06:55 AM

Thanks, Casinitaly. You must be right. I'll look for other ways to get to the Amalfi Coast!
Posted by: EChasen

Re: Amalfi Coast Music Festival Piano Program - 11/26/12 10:23 PM

I was at this festival in 2009 as an observer, mostly for the vocal part of the program, but we did see some of the piano program including a master class with Aldo Ciccolini, which was lots of fun. The program itself is not for early intermediate adults, but for young college and graduate students hoping for professional careers.

On the other hand, there's music all day and recitals most evenings; the chance to have breakfast and dinner with some really talented and interesting young people; and field trips to places like Naples, Ravello, and Pompeii. If you want to go to Amalfi anyway (my wife and I dream of returning--it's a great part of the world), I think you'll enjoy the festival!