2012 ABF Holiday Performances

Posted by: Mr Super-Hunky

2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 11/29/12 05:51 PM

Once again it is that time of year to post up your seasonal holiday performances for everyone to enjoy. If your piece is an X-mas tune, or holiday related, please post it up here in order to keep everyones submission in one place for easy access and listening.

So who's going first?
Posted by: Greener

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 11/29/12 06:20 PM

What a great idea ... how exciting. Thanks, Mr Super_hunky. I had already posted this in the December bar, but with encouragement, here it is again for the Christmas collection.

Grown Up Christmas List
Posted by: kenjazz

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 11/29/12 07:06 PM

The Holiday season is a great time to take stock of the progress (or lack thereof) that we've made over the years. I usually like to try to record two Christmas/holiday-related numbers around this time of year. Since this is my first year on the ABF, I will bore you with my whole holiday catalog. Fire sale - all songs must go!

This one is hot off the presses. I will do one more before the season is over (hopefully).

Christmas Time Is Here

Here is the blog entry for it:
Christmas Time Is Here blog entry

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen is a "free jazz" number which one would think should not appeal to most people. But this is by far my most downloaded number. I remember thinking that this was an advancement because the only advice that I got from my piano teacher on the arrangement was to consider using some fourths in the melody.

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen blog entry

Auld Lang Syne was done as a solo piano arrangement. This is when I realized that I had hopelessly forgotten the little that
I had learned about improvising for solo piano. I
re-harmonized the beginning and end of this to be as dark as humanly possible, befitting the outlook for 2012.

Auld Lang Syne

Auld Lang Syne blog post

I was really excited about My Favorite Things. This was way,way beyond what I was normally capable of in 2010. It sounds pretty raw now, and overly long. This is an uptempo jazz waltz. Hopefully we can entice Jazzwee to post his exceptionally beautiful version that is out on Soundcloud.

My Favorite Things

My Favorite Things blog entry

What Child Is This (aka Greensleeves) is done as a bossa nova.
This is old enough that the original backing instrumentation was MIDI, and I had to supply my own acoustic guitar embellishments. I was able to re-mix it to get rid of the MIDI, but I unfortunately had to keep myself on the guitar.

What Child Is This

What Child Is This blog entry
Posted by: Mr Super-Hunky

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 11/29/12 07:18 PM

Wow, what an incredible way to start things off. Greener, I can't believe how quick you seem to be advancing. I'm glad you took the time to finish and performe this for us.

Kenjazz, I think you may be my new best friend. My X-mas play list is nearly EXACTLY the same as yours. You present your music in an such a full and rich way. Now I'm motivated to start doing something after hearing these tunes.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 11/29/12 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
My X-mas play list is nearly EXACTLY the same as yours.

Thanks Mr. Super Hunky! The music is the best part of Christmas for me. I'm getting close to finalizing an arrangement for O Tannenbaum. I'm betting that is on your play list too! When I'm done, I've threatened the kids that I'm making them a CD with all of these called "Dad Hacks Christmas" and giving it to their friends. They said I'd better not, or there will be repercussions smirk
Posted by: BenPiano

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 11/30/12 01:31 AM

We Three Kings (flashback from 3 years ago)

After I made this video, I thought I would do a Christmas video every year. After 3 Christmases, this is the first year I'm without a new video. frown

I made this after just 6 months on the piano. I had no idea what I was doing. I had a new complicated keyboard, extremely limited experience on the piano, and a guitar that I knew how to play a few chords on.

All of this was done thru the keyboard. I plugged my acoustic guitar into it and the other parts were made on it. The file is long gone, but it was all just bits and pieces I scraped together to make this.

Except for the guitar. The rhythm guitar track was played start to finish. I used to play a lot, but now I can count on one hand the number of times I've played my guitar since I started learning piano. (2 of which were Xmas videos for ABF smile ) Priorities change when one discovers something new, I guess. laugh

The very last piano solo part was me playing live. It wasn't intentionally slow and encumbered - that's just how I played 3 years ago if I hadn't practiced the snot out of something. It turns out it worked OK for this video's ending. smile

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this thing I threw together as a complete newb on the piano when I first started! smile
Posted by: TX-Dennis

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 11/30/12 09:01 PM

Ben, that's a fun We Three Kings.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/01/12 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By: BenPiano

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this thing I threw together as a complete newb on the piano when I first started! smile

Excellent, Ben! I loved the harmonic counterpoint between guitar and piano. very cool/sophisticated indeed. How did you get such a clean recording sound on the guitar? Whenever I try to record guitar I get clipping and noise all over the place. Did you have a direct plug-in to the recording device?
Posted by: BillM

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/01/12 01:34 PM

Here is a piano vocal of the great Irving Berlin Christmas song. I have included the original intro which didn't make it to the well known Bing Crosby version. I realize I'm no Bing Crosby but I hope you enjoy my contribution to the Holiday Performances thread.

White Christmas

Posted by: Andy Platt

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/01/12 05:23 PM

I meant to post this here and posted it to the December Piano Bar by mistake. Only listen to it once unless you are a masochist:

The Christmas Song

My interpretation, loosely, of The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire.)

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/01/12 05:53 PM

Greener - Thanks to my wife who begins listening to Christmas music the day after Labor Day I thought I'd heard them all, but this was a pleasant surprise - A cool Christmas song that I haven't heard 1,000 times. Now only did I enjoy the piece very much, your performance is first rate.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/01/12 05:58 PM

kenjazz - A thoroughly enjoyable collection of Christmas tunes - definitely iTunes distribution ready. Although I liked them all, you really made My Favorite Things swing. Outstanding collection.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/01/12 06:04 PM

BenPiano - I remember this from 3 years ago (I checked and saw I'd left a comment under my old id). This is such an outstanding multi-media production! You are creative as well as talented. I hope you make posting this one an annual event.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/01/12 06:07 PM

Andy Platt - this is one that usually doesn't work for me as an instrumental as the lyrics are so well known and iconic this time of year. That being said, you really made this work. I love the way you were true to the melody but gave it your own very cool arrangement. In my opinion, this is the perfect tempo for this song - not to fast, not to slow, just right! Love the ending.
Posted by: BenPiano

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/02/12 02:04 AM

Greener: ABF'er Christmas List - I didn't think I knew this one, but it sounded familiar in a way. After listening again (and googling it), yes, I have heard this before. Upon the second listen, I was really able to better appreciate the musicality and feeling you put into this. smile

KenJazz: Christmas Time is Here - Nicely done and well played. I could easily have this on at any Christmas event, to everyone's enjoyment!

BillM: White Christmas - You're exactly right - Bing Crosby was no BillM. smile It's easy to hear your soul poured out in this.

Andy Platt: The Christmas Song - Wow, so nice! Have you ever considered learning more material from this era? It was so nice, like it already belonged on your fingertips.
Posted by: ladypayne

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/02/12 03:28 PM

Here's another arrangement of What Child is This. I added in some various instruments. Enjoy!

Posted by: CebuKid

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/02/12 05:24 PM

After I made this video, I thought I would do a Christmas video every year. After 3 Christmases, this is the first year I'm without a new video. frown

Well, I'm 0 for 4 in that department. No video for me this year either because Lumbergh keeps asking me to work on weekends these past few weeks. frown

Anyway, this was really great for a noob! Nice work on that stringed instrument too. grin

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/02/12 09:42 PM

Bill, I enjoyed your White Christmas a good deal. I'm glad you included the verse. It isn't sung often enough. I remember playing a very simple version of this song my first year taking piano lessons about 45 years ago.

Andy, I thought this sounded familiar. I enjoyed listening the second time as well.

ladypayne, what a fun arrangement! Great job.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/03/12 01:20 PM

[quote=BillM]I realize I'm no Bing Crosby but I hope you enjoy my contribution to the Holiday Performances thread.
White Christmas

Good thing you are no Bing Crosby. I'm thinking I prefer your version a good deal better then Bing's. Or, did somebody already say that? If so, I agree with them then. Yes, enjoyed. What, you have a different piano depending on what mood you're in? This isn't the usual one is it? It is really great sound and great rendition here, Bill. It sets the mood for me.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/03/12 07:28 PM

Ladypayne - this was a treat to see and hear. The art you selected for your video was quite enjoyable and suited your rendition of What Child is This perfectly. This is a real piece of work.
Posted by: CebuKid

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/03/12 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: BillM
Here is a piano vocal of the great Irving Berlin Christmas song. I have included the original intro which didn't make it to the well known Bing Crosby version. I realize I'm no Bing Crosby but I hope you enjoy my contribution to the Holiday Performances thread.

White Christmas

Bing who?? Wow, Bill...that was awesome! Loved it. smile
Posted by: jazzwee

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/07/12 02:55 AM

Happy to be able to post a Christmas performance (from Tonight -- Live). Outstanding vocalist.

Christmas Song
https://www.box.com/s/3ztd4ekfm7jqy988a6pu

Forgive the roughness. This was a straight one shot play with no rehearsal and as you can hear, quite live. I didn't get to do a solo (was cut off) but that's ok.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/08/12 08:51 AM

jazzwee - what an excellent vocal! Sounds like a cross between Johnny Mathis and Tony Bennett. The pianist is also quite good. Cool guitar solo.
Posted by: TrapperJohn

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/08/12 09:26 AM

From last year's project files my layed-back, mellowed-out "fireside" version of a great Christmas classic:

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

May your Chrismases always be cheerful, bright and white and may your egg nog never be bland, dull & impotent...

Trap

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/08/12 11:48 PM

jazzwee, that was a wonderful listen. A really talented singer, and the band was superb.

John, here's another fine version of the same song...this time without the singer. Great job playing this classic.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/09/12 01:58 AM

Bill and Dennis -- Thank You very much!

This singer was fabulous and I'm honored to get the chance to play with such a professional. You probably wouldn't mind another beautiful encore from him. These songs were unprepared and called on the spot so they're not clean. And I didn't even get to see the lead sheet(s) until 10 seconds before the count.

White Christmas
https://www.box.com/s/ei451h6iyqbtf2xad8dp

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/09/12 11:20 AM

Billm - White Christmas. Great sound. Love that intro. I don't even remember it from the movie

Andy Platt - Christmas Song. You had a lot of nice chords in here. As you say, kind of in between playing it straight up and fully improvising. Very nice

Ladypayne - What Child is this. Very reverent but with the Greensleeves era feel to it. I really liked the extra instrumentation.

Jazzwee - That cat can sing the phone book! W.C. was out of this world. The Christmas song was a beautiful listen once it got going. Really nice Christmas combo.

Trapper John - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. This really did have the fireside ambiance. I could imagine the picture. You had just the right tempo and spacing for that effect. Sounded great.
Posted by: Little_Blue_Engine

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/09/12 08:28 PM

BenPiano-I just put the audio from last years Christmas recording into my ipod. Hope that's OK. I'm just really still enjoying how beautiful it was and wanted to listen to it on my way to work.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/09/12 09:11 PM

jazzwee, your link does not take me to White Christmas, but rather to Windows. It's not bad, but White Christmas it ain't. Is it just me, or are others seeing that, too.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/09/12 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: TX-Dennis
jazzwee, your link does not take me to White Christmas, but rather to Windows. It's not bad, but White Christmas it ain't. Is it just me, or are others seeing that, too.

Sorry about that. I just did an upload and I guess it replaced that link. Weird.

I changed the link above and here it is as well.

White Christmas
https://www.box.com/s/ei451h6iyqbtf2xad8dp
Posted by: candlelightpiano

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/11/12 11:42 PM

I just recorded this song two days ago. I made up the arrangement and I hope you will all enjoy it. It's always been one of my favorite Christmas songs and this year, I play it for my family and friends and everyone on Piano World:

I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7gbzCgiLFQ&list=UU2GgbTGVIzlXXnu2LlMWwNw&index=2

Please feel free to post comment here and on my youtube page. Thank you for watching and have a very merry Christmas and a very happy and healthy new year!

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/12/12 06:42 AM

Candlelightpiano - I really liked your arrangement of this great tune. I prefer it at this slower tempo. Nice ending - a Merry Christmas to you, also.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/12/12 01:05 PM

Thanks, BillM. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Your comments gives me confidence to play around with more arrangements. I'm a newbie at it. I wish you the very best for Christmas and the new year.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/12/12 01:09 PM

I'm just beginning to listen to all the pieces posted on this thread and will post comment on each.

Thanks, Mr Super Hunky for starting this thread. I'm enjoying it very much.

Greener, your Grown up Christmas list was tender and sweet. I liked it very much.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/12/12 03:47 PM

Getting caught up sporadically and some really nice stuff (and ideas) out here.

Very nice arrangement on "I'll be Home for Christmas" Candlelight. Some really nice changes in this, a pretty sound and very competent job. Nicely done. Also, fun to learn about all your cats. Is all that snow from this year already? We've got zip in Toronto.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/13/12 01:00 AM

Thanks, Greener, for your kind comments on my performance and my other videos. We've been dumped upon with snowfall after snowfall. We just received another six inches today. You're lucky you've got zip in Toronto. I wouldn't mind a brown Christmas! It's also been a very cold winter so far here in Winnipeg but I guess they don't call us Winterpeg for nothing!

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/13/12 01:08 AM

Kenjazz, I enjoyed all your Christmas numbers. They sound very professional. You don't sound like a beginner at all. I'm trying to learn some jazz piano too so I enjoyed reading your blog about starting jazz from scratch after age 50. Gives me hope!

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/13/12 04:34 PM

Very effective nice sounding "What child is this" Ladypayne. It sounds really great. Nice job.

Nice playing TJ. I really like this tune. It is now added to my Christmas list of material to learn. Its very pretty and nicely presented.

The band is sounding great, Jazzwee. Wow, what a terrific front man. A really fantastic voice and polished sound.

Here is one more little Christmas mish/mash. This about completes my Christmas line up, but lots of great ideas now for next year. So, thanks again everyone.

Chistmas Time | O Tannenbaum

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/13/12 10:24 PM

As promised (threatened?) here is my second and final Christmas tune.

O Tannenbaum

The blog post

O Tannenbaum blog post

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/13/12 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Greener

Here is one more little Christmas mish/mash. This about completes my Christmas line up, but lots of great ideas now for next year. So, thanks again everyone.

Jeff, Great idea to do these as a medley! These two seem to make a lot of sense as a medley (they were both done by Vince Guaraldi too). You definitely pulled it off. It is hysterical that we both picked the same two songs for Christmas this year...

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/13/12 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: candlelightpiano
Kenjazz, I enjoyed all your Christmas numbers. They sound very professional. You don't sound like a beginner at all. I'm trying to learn some jazz piano too so I enjoyed reading your blog about starting jazz from scratch after age 50. Gives me hope!

Thank you candlelighpiano. I really enjoyed your version of I'll be home for Christmas also. The piano setup in your home is gorgeous to match your playing.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/13/12 10:46 PM

Jazzwee - White Christmas - now that guy can sing! I wasn't wild about the arrangement but what a set of pipes - once again the pianist was a standout.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/13/12 10:51 PM

Greener - you have created a quiet, peaceful atmosphere with this fine performance. Very well done.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/13/12 10:58 PM

Kenjazz - loved the vibes - your recordings always blow me away with your pro quality playing and sound production. Even with the cool jazz stylings you still are faithful to the reverential mood of this piece.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/14/12 12:06 AM

Jazzwee - White Christmas - now that guy can sing! I wasn't wild about the arrangement but what a set of pipes - once again the pianist was a standout.

LOL Bill. Arrangement? I looked at the Leadsheet 10 seconds before we started. This is all seat of the pants stuff. Completely unplanned. This was not on our set list. In fact, to tell you the truth, I didn't know the guy sang. He just offered to sing and I was blown away. He was playing percussion.

THANK YOU.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/14/12 11:51 PM

Wow! You played so well after six months of piano?!? That was pretty good and I enjoyed the arrangement.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/14/12 11:55 PM

BilLM: What a lovely rendition of White Christmas! So glad you included the prelude before the main lyrics because I didn't know about its existence until I heard you sing it. Now I understand why Irving Berlin dreamed about a white Christmas! You have a gorgeous voice.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/15/12 12:23 AM

Loved your interpretation of the Christmas song, Andy. I liked the ending very much and you have a very nice touch.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/15/12 12:35 AM

TrapperJohn: When I heard you perform Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas last year, I loved it and this year, I love it all over again. You play with a lot of heart. Have yourself a merry little Christmas, too!

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/15/12 12:38 AM

Gorgeous video, ladypayne! The haunting melody and accompanying images keep me captivated. How did you create such a video? What software do you use for the video and the music mix?

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/15/12 11:46 AM

Great music so far! Love the xmas music. I used windows movie maker for the video and I used Magix music maker for the music part. I also have a midi keyboard that I use along with the music program to create the different instruments. It's much easier using the keyboard than the music program's virtual keyboard. I posted the link below on amazon if you're interested in buying it. This is the version I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Magix-Entertainmen...gix+music+maker

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/17/12 11:53 PM

Jazzwee: Really loved The Christmas song. Who was the singer? He has such a beautiful voice and the piano accompaniment was great, too. White Christmas took off a bit slowly but sounded really good once he got going. Who are these singers and are you performing with them? Are you the pianist?

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/18/12 12:12 AM

Jazzwee: Really loved The Christmas song. Who was the singer? He has such a beautiful voice and the piano accompaniment was great, too. White Christmas took off a bit slowly but sounded really good once he got going. Who are these singers and are you performing with them? Are you the pianist?

Thank you Candelightpiano. These are members of my band. I'm the pianist and band leader. These tunes were called on the fly. Unrehearsed and never played so that accounts for the rough starts. The singer in these two tunes is the same guy and this was the first time he sang with us. I was very impressed so I'm expecting to use him regularly.

It is such a pleasure to be working with better and better musicians. It's a fantastic goal for ABF'ers to accompany singers like these. It's a great experience.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/18/12 12:17 AM

I just recorded this song two days ago. I made up the arrangement and I hope you will all enjoy it. It's always been one of my favorite Christmas songs and this year, I play it for my family and friends and everyone on Piano World:

I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7gbzCgiLFQ&list=UU2GgbTGVIzlXXnu2LlMWwNw&index=2

Please feel free to post comment here and on my youtube page. Thank you for watching and have a very merry Christmas and a very happy and healthy new year!

Such lovely playing and a wonderful arrangement. Bravo!

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/18/12 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: kenjazz

I was really excited about My Favorite Things. This was way,way beyond what I was normally capable of in 2010. It sounds pretty raw now, and overly long. This is an uptempo jazz waltz. Hopefully we can entice Jazzwee to post his exceptionally beautiful version that is out on Soundcloud.

Kenjazz, I just saw this reference to me. Sorry I didn't see.

Yes -- here's My Favorite Things played on my Steinway (one of the few times I have a recording of it). I didn't realize this is considered a Christmas/Holiday tune since I play it all year round smile

My Favorite Things
https://www.box.com/s/812fea509585625a35a9

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/18/12 12:38 AM

Amazing you made this at 6 months. It's a fine production! Really enjoyed it.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/18/12 12:41 AM

White Christmas

Great stuff! And I am surprised that there was some intro to this that I've never heard of. I just know it from the movie. So in addition to fantastic singing and playing we get a little education smile

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/18/12 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn

Wonderful Trap. Great playing and a nice contribution to our Christmas spirit!

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/18/12 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: ladypayne
Here's another arrangement of What Child is This. I added in some various instruments. Enjoy!

That was so well done! Amazing work you put into this video including the changing pics. Kudos!

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/18/12 12:58 AM

As promised (threatened?) here is my second and final Christmas tune.

O Tannenbaum

The blog post

O Tannenbaum blog post

So much fun to listen to Kenjazz! Some hot sax and vibe players there too smile How much did you pay them? laugh Grand production.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/18/12 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: jazzwee

So much fun to listen to Kenjazz! Some hot sax and vibe players there too smile How much did you pay them? laugh Grand production.

LOL. The vibes player is me on my old Yamaha played through a tube amp. That guy comes cheap. Very cheap...

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/18/12 05:12 AM

Originally Posted By: jazzwee

Kenjazz, I just saw this reference to me. Sorry I didn't see.

Yes -- here's My Favorite Things played on my Steinway (one of the few times I have a recording of it). I didn't realize this is considered a Christmas/Holiday tune since I play it all year round smile

My Favorite Things
https://www.box.com/s/812fea509585625a35a9

Thanks for posting, Jazzwee. My Favorite Things started showing up as a Christmas tune on jazz and pop recordings in 1964, and has been on countless records since then. The Supremes were the first big name to do it, but I think Kenny Burrell was the first big jazz player to record it as a Christmas number.

Anyway, your trio version is inspirational, and sits there in the pocket to enjoy without being nuts like so many feel obliged to do. Just a wonderful trio sound.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/18/12 03:46 PM

Here's another arrangement of Have yourself a merry little Christmas by Melody Bober. Lots of great music so far!

https://www.box.com/s/hcv98anrkyli3v7pgf8n

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/18/12 09:48 PM

jazzwee, I finally got around to listening to White Christmas. This is another excellent performance. Very enjoyable.

candlelightpiano, your Home for Christmas is an emotional performance. Very nice. Merry Christmas!

Greener, nice job with the medley. I play both pieces every year, but I have never considered a medley of them. It works.

kenjazz, your O Tannenbaum sounds amazing. A very professional sounding performance. I am impressed.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/18/12 09:58 PM

jazzwee, your take on My Favorite Things is another great listen.

ladypayne, your Merry Little Christmas is quite fun. Melody Bober does some really nice arrangements.
Posted by: Starr Keys

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/19/12 06:16 PM

I finally got some time to listen to the performances in this thread. While I haven’t listened to every one of the multiples, I’ve listened to at least one of the performances of everyone who's posted thus far. I think the following represents the latter, but if I missed anyone, I know I’ll be doing more listening between now and New Years, and will pick up any missed stitches between now and then.

Greener and Andy Platt – I was delighted to see that you both had selected non-classical pieces for a change, and astounded by how good your modern stylings of them were. Maybe there’s something to be said for being classically trained after all!

LadyPayne and Ben – Both of your integrations of your playing with other instruments sounds good enough to be featured on a popular music label’s professional cd. I envy your being able to do this so well. Ben, I can’t believe you could produce something so smooth after only six months on keyboard, and LP, I thought your playing on Have Yourself surpassed anything I've heard from you before as did your arranging on What Child is This.

Kenjazz and Jazzwee - Between all the selections of great Christmas jazz you two have provided here, I won’t even bother to pull out my old Christmas albums this year. Ken, what a pro you’ve become in five short years, and Jazzwee, I’ll definitely be putting both of your vocal accompaniment pieces into a jazz styling accompaniment file for further study!

Candlelightpiano and TJ – This is my kind of Christmas music, played my kind of way. TJ, I think I remember you playing this before and thinking how you could make the most of a simple arrangement. CLP, I don’t remember hearing you play before, but I will now--great arrangement done very well!

Bill M - In all the zillions of times I’ve heard this song, I don’t ever recall hearing an intro to it. Thanks for providing that and for your warm expressive voice and accompaniment. Come Christmas Eve, I know the latter will have me feeling like throwing another log on the fire.

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/19/12 08:00 PM

Before the acts get any harder to follow (as if that were possible), I thought it might be wise to post my own holiday selection. This is a recording of my vocal recital performance, which was held last night at a beautiful senior living facility. I play the accompaniment to Blue Christmas from a Hal Leonard collection of Christmas hits. The voice you hear first is my singing teacher’s introducing me. Later one extra enthusiastic audience member sings along with me, but not too loudly and pretty much on key. Since I usually play by ear or memorize my pieces, the hardest challenge for me with this was syncing my page turning so as not to interrupt the flow of the music.

https://www.box.com/s/qq3eciqbw9rhbytvqehb

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/21/12 12:41 PM

Lots of activity since I was here a few days ago.

MANY, MANY THANKS:

Ladypayne - for the links and info on Magix. I'd really like to learn to make slide videos like you do.

Jazzwee - thanks for the compliments. Loved MY FAVORITE THINGS. Your unrehearsed, spontaneous performance is awesome. It sounds so free and lifts my spirits.

TX-Dennis and Starr Keys - so glad you enjoyed my performance. Thank you. I'll be sticking around here. You guys make this forum a really fun place to be.

Kenjazz - I enjoyed your O Tannenbaum. You've really become very good at jazz piano since you got into it. I'm messing around with it, too and have incorporated some jazz elements into my play but I'm still a beginner at it so it's great to get to listen to some great jazzy numbers here and pick up a tip or two.
Posted by: Elssa

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/23/12 09:29 PM

Thanks for posting this thread, Mr. S.H.! I'm really enjoying all the great holiday songs here. Nice work everyone!

BillM: I loved your "White Christmas - the intro & everything was really beautiful. smile

LadyPayne: What Child is This was terrific - love your video arrangement, too. thumb

Starr Keys: That was just gorgeous.. both your singing and accompaniment! smile

Well, here's a little tune from "A Charlie Brown Christmas". Hope you enjoy. smile

Christmas Time is Here (Vince Guaraldi)

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/23/12 11:05 PM

Well, I couldn't stop myself from doing one more. Silent Night is not allowed at our family gatherings because it associated with a tragic family event. I had to record this on solo piano in one shot under cover of darkness. I think it is the most beautiful of Christmas songs, though, so I love to play it. But I can only share it with you...

Silent Night

Merry Christmas

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/25/12 11:06 PM

Well, it's been raining for two days + in Northern California, and it came down like cats and dogs for most of today. I couldn't ask for better music to listen to on a day like this.

Elssa: Talk about gorgeous! I hear the Eddie Duchin influence here and I love it!

Ken: I love listening to this style of jazz on a rainy day. I thought I'd heard Silent Night played every possible way, but yours was like a mirror of just this moment in time and reflected perfectly my present mood.
Posted by: Elssa

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/26/12 12:01 AM

Thanks, Starr Keys! Well, I guess my all-time favorites are Eddie Duchin and George Shearing. smile

Your singing is angelic! thumb
Posted by: nancyzpiano

Re: 2012 ABF Holiday Performances - 12/26/12 04:18 PM

Hope y'all aren't sick of Christmas music yet smile Here is Holy Night which I am actually quite proud of despite the speed (nerves) and a few misteps. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/Ft0oRkKE9Kw