Piano World Home Page
Posted By: nancyzpiano Finished my first piano jury - 12/06/12 10:45 PM
Hello PW,

I have finished my first semester of community college private lessons after trying to go solo for a year. Today was my 'final exam': a jury in front of 3 falculty members where I played 2 peices from memory. My pieces were Schytte 'The Harp' from Snell Rep book 1 and "Waltz, Op 39, No. 13" by Kabalevsky in Snell Rep Book 2. The pieces were preceeded by A minor and D minor scales in 2 octaves, respectively. I fumbled one measure in the Harp pieces (2nd to last) but recovered nicely. My marks were excellent saying I "was making music", "smooth, lovely line" and "thumbs is easy" I guess in reference to my "sclaes - good". I am glad that is over!
Looking forward to my second semester starting in January. I feel like now the teacher has caught me up to where I thought I was in August. Not bad for self-teaching.
I hope to have a contribution to the Christmas thread next weekend when I record my performance at our family recital where I will perform these two pieces as well as Prelude in C, Bach and O Holy Night. My husband will play guitar and my two sons playing piano as well. Bonus, oldest and I will play a violin duet. (I also took violin lessons at the college - brand new beginner, there! That recital was a few weeks ago for my performance grade - didn't go as well as piano today smile
Thanks for letting me toot my own horn smile
Posted By: EdwardianPiano Re: Finished my first piano jury - 12/06/12 11:22 PM
Well done!
Posted By: PianoStudent88 Re: Finished my first piano jury - 12/06/12 11:27 PM
Congratulations, nancyzpiano! What kinds of skills has your teacher been working on with you? Do you feel that you're a better player than you were in August? Or does it feel like it's all been review, and now you're ready to start real learning next semester?
Posted By: nancyzpiano Re: Finished my first piano jury - 12/06/12 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Congratulations, nancyzpiano! What kinds of skills has your teacher been working on with you? Do you feel that you're a better player than you were in August? Or does it feel like it's all been review, and now you're ready to start real learning next semester?

It has been a little of both but I have learned more during the second half of the semester. The first half was covering the Alfred all in One adult book which was easy for the first half - could sight read most of it and covering scales I already knew. Then the last month or so really worked hard on new scales up to four octaves (only did 2 before) and learned ALOT about how to play a waltz - details I would have be ignorant of as a self-teacher (at least in my case). Hopefully next semester we break away from Alfred and do more Snell rep (classical, baroque, modern and romantic) which is where I want to go. I'll still learn chords, but I don't want all my music being chord accompaniments, kwim? Thanks for reading and responding.

ETA - she also has me working on handshaping, too. Again , stuff I would have overlooked in self teaching - though a video camera does wonders smile
Posted By: BenPiano Re: Finished my first piano jury - 12/07/12 05:36 AM
Originally Posted by nancyzpiano
Thanks for letting me toot my own horn smile

Toot!

It's nice to hear your progress and struggles. And hear the printed remarks of "sclaes - good" and "thumbs is easy"! laugh

Go Nancy! smile
Posted By: Bobpickle Re: Finished my first piano jury - 12/07/12 05:47 AM
Congratulations! I'm sure you've said it in one of your other posts, but I wonder where you live. California is in such a depressing state, private lessons are being all but removed at the community college level, even for music majors. I envy you!
Posted By: BeccaBb Re: Finished my first piano jury - 12/07/12 05:49 AM
Way to go Nancy! I really wish they offered the same type of courses here. I also envy you! smile
Posted By: nancyzpiano Re: Finished my first piano jury - 12/07/12 02:40 PM
Thanks for all the congrats!

I live in North Texas and attend Tarrant County Community College (Fort Worth - a bit over 30 minutes away). We have weathered the recession pretty well in this area with stable home values so that equates to tax revenue enough to subsidize my musical endeavors. Next semester the non-music majors will have lessons only for 8 weeks because they are gutting the music building and upgrading the 1970s equipment, etc. We are blessed.
Posted By: nancyzpiano Re: Finished my first piano jury - 12/07/12 02:47 PM
Oh, I forgot to add that I played on a $50,000 Steinway grand piano for my jury. That sounded divine compared to my busted up old Yamaha upright, lol.
Posted By: PianoStudent88 Re: Finished my first piano jury - 12/07/12 06:33 PM
Hi nancyzpiano, I do know what you mean about not wanting to just do chord accompaniments Alfred-style. I find the chord accompanying I covered in Alfred I to be really useful in terms of making basic chord shapes feel really automatic in my hand (plus I had some technique books that gave me a TON more really useful practice in the three basic inversion shapes, in all keys), but I didn't want to keep playing just that style so I didn't continue into Alfred II.

Playing on the Steinway sounds wonderful! What a great opportunity.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums