Dave Brubeck: RIP

Posted by: TrapperJohn

Dave Brubeck: RIP - 12/07/12 05:26 PM

Dave Brubeck, Jazz Legend, Dies

My brother and I grew up listening to the Dave Brubeck Quartet (along with many other jazz greats of that era) - for many years we had every album they put out...his music will live for a very long time to come...

Trap
Posted by: JimF

Re: Dave Brubeck: RIP - 12/07/12 05:39 PM

That calls for at least a Take Five listen on the way home tonight. RIP Dave.
Posted by: KarelG

Re: Dave Brubeck: RIP - 12/07/12 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: JimF
That calls for at least a Take Five listen on the way home tonight. RIP Dave.

IMHO it more calls to learn the piece. :-) By a chance, do you know how difficult it is? I mean this "magical" piano accompaniment from the quartet performance...

Thanks! Karel
Posted by: 4evrBeginR

Re: Dave Brubeck: RIP - 12/07/12 07:38 PM

Dave Brubeck - piano
Paul Desmond - alto sax
Eugene Wright - bass
Joe Morello - drums
Posted by: BenPiano

Re: Dave Brubeck: RIP - 12/08/12 12:53 AM

NPR had a great recorded interview from some years ago that was excellent.

Also was watched / listened to some you tube videos that were linked in other outlets.

It was all amazing, and yet all I could focus on was how far his left hand could span to create a sound most of us can't ordinarily make. Truly unique!
Posted by: jazzwee

Re: Dave Brubeck: RIP - 12/08/12 02:22 AM

In honor of Brubeck, we played Take 5 tonight. A little messy from lack of practice. It was a spur of the moment thing but I suppose it's the thought that counts.

Take 5
https://www.box.com/s/v1cf0mnxn37pje3ok4wq
Posted by: Bobpickle

Re: Dave Brubeck: RIP - 12/08/12 05:44 AM

didn't sound bad at all jazzwee. Great job
Posted by: KarelG

Re: Dave Brubeck: RIP - 12/08/12 04:04 PM

Jazzwee, this sound indeed very good! Thanks for sharing!
Posted by: Newman

Re: Dave Brubeck: RIP - 12/08/12 04:39 PM

Always loved Take Five. One of those pieces which when you first hear it you just stop and listen. RIP Dave.
Posted by: jazzwee

Re: Dave Brubeck: RIP - 12/08/12 05:32 PM

Thanks Bobpickle and KarelG! Appreciate the listen.

On the day that Brubeck died, I was listening to a tribute show on Sirius/XM dedicated to him and they were playing all these recordings I have never heard. And that's when I realized, we've done a disservice to Dave Brubeck by attributing ONLY Take 5 to him, and this one was actually written by Paul Desmond.

But after hearing song after song of the material that actually came from Brubeck, I was left with a sense of "Wow -- what a melodic genius."

So while I make a tribute with Take 5, I encourage everyone to look at the other records. There's much more here than meets the eye (& ear). One thing I can say after listening to his other tunes -- he makes every note count.
Posted by: Peyton

Re: Dave Brubeck: RIP - 12/08/12 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: jazzwee
In honor of Brubeck, we played Take 5 tonight. A little messy from lack of practice. It was a spur of the moment thing but I suppose it's the thought that counts.

Take 5
https://www.box.com/s/v1cf0mnxn37pje3ok4wq

Jazzwee, that was excellent!
Posted by: Roger Ransom

Re: Dave Brubeck: RIP - 12/09/12 07:31 AM

Good stuff Jazwee, I love it!!!

It makes me smile.

Posted by: JimF

Re: Dave Brubeck: RIP - 12/09/12 08:24 AM

You are right, jazzwee, he had lots of great material. My personal favorite is his Autumn in Washington Square. Think I'll go have a listen right now.