Teacher recommendations in the Boston area?

Posted by: ghostwind

Teacher recommendations in the Boston area? - 01/23/13 09:43 AM

Can anyone here recommend a good piano teacher that has experience with adult beginners that is in the Boston area? I've looked at Longy and NEC, and while they seem excellent, at $100+/hour they are too pricey for me. $60-80 per hour is the ballpark I'm more comfortable with. And I do want weekly 1 hour lessons.

So I figured I'd ask in this forum. Googling around is not helping me, as there seem to be a ton of teachers that can do A-Z, and I don't want to start 10 auditions either. I'm looking for someone who teaches traditional classical method, technique, form/posture, theory, etc. and has experience/success with teaching beginning adults. I've looked around, and most do not have experience with adults, so that is a concern to me and why I hope I may get some suggestions here.

Some background may be of help:

I'm 39 and have dabbled around pianos since I was a kid. My grandmother was a pianist, my grandfather played well, so I was around that until I immigrated to the US when I was 10. At the time, my parents could not afford a piano nor piano lessons as money was tight. I played guitar since it was cheap. Later I focused on my studies, and then work never allowed me the time I thought I would need to put in practice wise to get something out. I'm at a point in my life where I have the time to dedicate myself to weekly hourly lessons and the time to practice. I regret not doing anything earlier, but such is life. Still I'm determined. I bought a Boston acoustic upright and am ready to go. Mucking around is not getting me too far, so I need a serious teacher. I can figure things out, but I don't want to learn that way. I want to learn the proper way. So that's a bit of background. I can play some basic stuff, know some scales, keys, etc.

I'm in Burlington, MA, sort of 30min away from downtown, 30min away from most places. Close cities are Lexington, etc. I'm fine with a 30-40min drive for the right teacher and my time is pretty flexible.

So if you know someone, send me a PM if you don't want to post in this thread. Thanks!
Posted by: HalfStep

Re: Teacher recommendations in the Boston area? - 01/25/13 12:24 AM

Have you looked at Berklee? I think they do online, not sure about private lessons.
Posted by: cscl

Re: Teacher recommendations in the Boston area? - 01/26/13 02:44 PM

I just moved to the Boston area over the summer and made a similar posting here. I got no responses!

In the meantime, I did a lot of research on my own. The problem is that there are a ton of people in Boston, so it's hard to narrow down, but I found it was really hard to find someone out in the towns surrounding Boston.

I do have some recommendations though, and I'll send them in a message.