Piano music books

Posted by: Artemis1853

Piano music books - 01/26/13 01:04 PM

Why don't music books come spiral bound so they stay open?

Also do any books come with accompanying CDs (or DVDs) so you can hear that exact music being played?

Just curious.
Posted by: dmd

Re: Piano music books - 01/26/13 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Artemis1853

Also do any books come with accompanying CDs (or DVDs) so you can hear that exact music being played?

Just curious.

Some do come sprial bound and some come with CDs also.

I have some books that I took to a local store and they spiral bound them for me.
Posted by: JamesPlaysPiano

Re: Piano music books - 01/26/13 01:40 PM

There are many books that include CDs and/or DVDs out there.

Some quick searches:
http://www.google.com/search?client=safa...-8&oe=UTF-8

http://www.google.com/search?client=safa...-8&oe=UTF-8

Of course, you could refine the search further, such as searching for "jazz piano books with CD," "intermediate classical piano book with CD," etc.

James
Posted by: scorpio

Re: Piano music books - 01/26/13 01:42 PM

I believe you can take a music book to Staples and they will spiral bound it for you. I have not tried it yet myself, but others here have mentioned it.
Posted by: dmd

Re: Piano music books - 01/26/13 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: scorpio
I believe you can take a music book to Staples and they will spiral bound it for you. I have not tried it yet myself, but others here have mentioned it.

True, at least for the one near me.
Posted by: malkin

Re: Piano music books - 01/26/13 02:41 PM

Lots of options. Any full service copy or print shop will be able to help you.
The cost depends on how many pages and what kind of binding you want.

http://www.fedex.com/us/office/binding-finishing-laminating.html
Posted by: SoundThumb

Re: Piano music books - 01/26/13 03:56 PM

Yes, of course you can get a music book spiral bound after you buy it, but that wasn't the original question, was it. The question was why do publishers sell music in books that are not spiral bound. The answer is, because we as consumers continue to buy them rather than boycot them.
Posted by: Michael_99

Re: Piano music books - 01/27/13 04:45 PM

Your points are well taken; however, from my experience, on any page of a piano book, I must learn and play that piece for weeks and months and many months after after learning the piece to performancce level which results in the pages of the piano book becoming loose or falling out. I hate to put any spiral book on my beautiful secondhand grand, don't know about you?

CDs that come with the piano books can vary in content and quality and almost at least double the price of the book.

So yes, to all your questios.

Just curious.

Re: Piano music books - 01/27/13 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: SoundThumb
Yes, of course you can get a music book spiral bound after you buy it, but that wasn't the original question, was it. The question was why do publishers sell music in books that are not spiral bound. The answer is, because we as consumers continue to buy them rather than boycot them.

Publishers make flat bound books because it is cheaper.
We buy them because we want the music.
Posted by: musdan

Re: Piano music books - 01/27/13 06:18 PM

Scorpio, I've brought several of my music books to Staples to be spiral bound - they did a great job and it's well worth it. smile
Posted by: personne

Re: Piano music books - 01/27/13 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Artemis1853

I find some spiral bound books at the stores, but never buy them - I prefer usual binding.
These plastic spirals look too easy to me to break or loose pages. Just imo.
Some flat bound books are very easy to keep open - many publishers issue good quality flat bound music books.
Posted by: manyhands

Re: Piano music books - 01/27/13 08:03 PM

I divided a 500 page book into 3 parts, made covers from manila folders and rebound spine with duct tape neatly. Turned out great. How much does Staples charge to spiral bound?

Re: Piano music books - 01/28/13 10:21 AM

Originally Posted By: manyhands
How much does Staples charge to spiral bound?

It depends on the number of pages and the type of binding you choose.
Posted by: frankeric

Re: Piano music books - 01/28/13 11:35 AM

I took my real book, 440 songs, and put them in clear plastic 3 ring sheets and then placed them in 4 3 ring binders. The spiral that the real book came in broke the 2nd week.
frank
Posted by: keystring

Re: Piano music books - 01/28/13 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: scorpio

I have done so several times. I think it costs somewhere between $5.00 - $10.00. They put a hard plastic cover on the outside with a choice of colour - I choose clear. I still have this picture on Box.com of one of the books I had done. You can see a bit of the sheen from the plastic cover on the bottom.

Posted by: Matt Walker

Re: Piano music books - 01/29/13 03:26 PM

I have recently released my first book of compositions, (http://www.lulu.com/shop/matt-walker/light-shade/paperback/product-20652314.html) and chose 'spiral bound' specifically because I find perfect bound sheet music really annoying, what with having to break the spines and having pages turning back by themselves and things. I do understand why people may be a little reluctant to put a spiral on their music rest, but it is only a bit of plastic.