Does Anyone Play from a Laptop Computer?

Posted by: newbert

Does Anyone Play from a Laptop Computer? - 01/28/13 11:24 AM

That is to say....Does anyone use a laptop computer screen to display their score or chord sheet while they play/practice?

I started an online piano course and have a library of instructional videos stored on my laptop. I'm playing a Yamaha DGX640 and would like the laptop screen to be placed as close to centered in front of the piano as possible. (Right now I have the laptop placed on a small TV table to the right of the piano.) The problem is that the piano is placed against a wall, and I'd rather not attach anything (ie - a shelf) to the wall if I can help it.

So, I'm thinking of using an adjustable laptop desk like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Rolling...=I3BUOEHBC27B4. I'm just not sure how sturdy something like this is, though.

So, I'm wondering whether anyone has had the same dilemma and whether you've solved it with one of these or something similar? Or perhaps there's better solution?

I'm open to ideas! And any links you could provide to illustrate your ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Posted by: Sand Tiger

Re: Does Anyone Play from a Laptop Computer? - 01/28/13 12:32 PM

I use an 8" Android tablet for video. Works well on a music stand. Another idea is a monitor designed to be used as a second screen for a laptop. So many desktop users have multiple monitors now, that some take an extra screen on the road too. These are going to cost more than a stand, but the gap may be relatively small, especially if a person is willing to buy refurbished units or demo units.
Posted by: Derulux

Re: Does Anyone Play from a Laptop Computer? - 01/28/13 12:53 PM

I haven't done it myself, but I have seen it done and it works. Most professionals use either specially-designed software with a computer screen (not "custom" software--it's available mass market), or they get a tablet PC. Sometimes both. I've seen software that follows along with what you're playing, and turns the page for you at the appropriate time. It's all really advanced, really cool tech stuff.

But if your budget is as small as mine is, that stand looks like a mighty fine solution. smile
Posted by: Artur Gajewski

Re: Does Anyone Play from a Laptop Computer? - 01/29/13 02:55 PM

I use to have 10" laptop on top of my Korg SP170 digital, mut I was having hard time holding it steady.

Now I use an iPad connected with iRig MIDI interfce so that I can run Synthesia on it and have both the piano and iPad audio connected to a mixer so that I can listen to youtube piano tutorials and whatever I play at the same time. I also like to play piano with Adele, John Lennon, Bon Jovi and Depeche Mode smile
Posted by: newbert

Re: Does Anyone Play from a Laptop Computer? - 01/29/13 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Artur Gajewski
I use to have 10" laptop on top of my Korg SP170 digital, mut I was having hard time holding it steady.

Now I use an iPad connected with iRig MIDI interfce so that I can run Synthesia on it and have both the piano and iPad audio connected to a mixer so that I can listen to youtube piano tutorials and whatever I play at the same time. I also like to play piano with Adele, John Lennon, Bon Jovi and Depeche Mode smile

Yes, an iPad would make a perfect solution for me - except that it won't run the online piano course videos (David Sprunger's) as far as I know.

I ended up ordering a simple music stand to put my laptop on. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GFPYS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00)

Thanks for all the thoughts!
Posted by: Fordsnack

Re: Does Anyone Play from a Laptop Computer? - 01/29/13 04:44 PM

I have something like that, works like a charm!
When im not using it, I raise it up a height and put my DP's music stand back on
Posted by: TheodorN

Re: Does Anyone Play from a Laptop Computer? - 01/31/13 06:41 AM

I've had the same situation and I decided to put my piano on a regular home desk, with the laptop on a shelf, connected to a larger display on the desk, in front of the piano. You can see my setup in the discussion thread below.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2002558/Re:%20For%20computer%20based%20learnin.html#Post2002558

This way I can play instruction videos, copy what the teacher does and stop when I need to, or play through a learning software like Synthesia, Notation Composer or MIDI-Illustrator.
Posted by: EdwardianPiano

Re: Does Anyone Play from a Laptop Computer? - 02/03/13 06:58 PM

No bit tech for me all that LOL. Still with paper and books on Piano's old music stand ( 1910s Piano!) smile

Not got one of those tablet thingys.

Do save sheet music off the web on the netbook for printing out sometimes though.