April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!)

Posted by: Starr Keys

April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/29/13 04:40 PM

I know I'm 2-1/2 days early but it's been so long since I posted a song and I've always wanted to start the Bar. smile

This is my arrangement of My Funny Valentine. I am performing it, both piano and vocal, live for my performance class in 2-1/2 weeks. I still have some more work to do on the vocal.

As for the piano there's work to be done there as well, but I'll be performing it on a Mason & Hamlin concert grand at scool and this recording was done on my Casio PX330. Some people say the decay is bad on the 330, but I think mine has actually gotten worse since I bought it. If I'm not careful about the release, the sound can fade abruptly even with a little pedal, so I did the vocal over the piano since I really had to focus on the latter.

Hopefully, I'll have a better piano to work with by the time I do my youtube journal video, one where I can play and sing at the same time.

https://www.box.com/s/1mnbtctvdmgkrepg54a9
Posted by: wouter79

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/29/13 05:53 PM

Here's my contribution for the April piano bar!

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/moissoneurs.mp3

This is Couperin, Les Moissoneurs (the reapers) from the Septieme Ordre
Posted by: rnaple

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/29/13 06:36 PM

So...for April 1st... Are we going to have an original Nocturne that is a recording of snoring?
Posted by: slpianoproject

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/30/13 12:29 AM

Here's my contribution to the piano bar!

My teacher (that I don't take lessons with anymore... not enough time) would have alot to say about this performance. He always says I take too much liberty from the sheet music. I don't know how to explain it well in english but lets say I just play more the way i feel than what's really written on the paper if that's more clear. Usually when I want to learn a new piece, I listen to different performances to get a feel for the piece. Then I take what I like the best from what i've heard and try to come up with a performance that is right to my ears. Long story short, most of the times when I show him my work he goes like : Great! You play with alot of .....(insert positive feedback here)...... and ............, I like how you ............ but as usual you take the sheet music with too little consideration!

In this performance you'll notice from start that the tempo might be a little fast. There is actually quite a debate on the net, from what I've seen, on the tempo to use to play this piece. Personally, I'm obviously on the fast side since I think you lose the flow when this piece is played too slow. On top of that I try to avoid using too much rubato and big changes in dynamics as I feel it kills the mood of the piece. Feel free to tell me what you think about it!

Finally, I kinda feel bad posting this since i read 3 days ago that the Mendelssohn themed recital is actually in 2 weeks and not in May anymore but the work was all done already...

P.S : Sorry for the errors i've been on a tight deadline for this one. Should have worked on it more before posting but my piano was freshly tuned! The theme that goes through bar 2 to 4 and repeats at the end sounds so gorgeous on a tuned piano! Had to do it... did my best!
Posted by: ladypayne

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/30/13 01:11 AM

I did something a little different this time. I recorded some songs off YouTube and then put it together with my piano music. I took the original theme song from Winnie the Pooh and added my piano arrangement to it. It's a simple arrangement I came up with from using my Disney Fake Book. I did the same thing with my own hymn arrangement of My Jesus I love Thee. I used choir music from bestlovedhymns on YouTube if you want to check it out. It was a fun experiment =)

Winnie the Pooh
https://www.box.com/s/5385pzu67ujqswrqqopi

My Jesus I Love Thee
https://www.box.com/s/nrp3iwi77mfylnnd7ng1

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/30/13 01:57 AM

slpianoproject, nice work, really nice playing! thanks for posting. I like this speed and I don't hear excessive deviation from the original. Now I don't play this piece myself but it sounds like Mendelssohn to me smile
Posted by: Mark...

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/30/13 01:00 PM

Starr Keys nice job on the "Funny Valentine", your voice works very well with it.

wouter79 well done on the piece, especially the thrills!
Your showing some very nice musicality.

slpianoproject I left some comments on You Tube also. Your playing and production work, both audio and video is so impressive. I love what you are doing. You have me shopping me for new equipment... laugh. Please share you production info with each video...thanks!

ladypayne Interesting way to do accompaniment. It must be very hard. I could never pull it off. Your piano matched up very well, especially the second half of Winne. You nailed it on the hymn. Great concept for accompaniment!
Posted by: casinitaly

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/30/13 02:34 PM

Star Keys - I'm always happy to hear a recording with you singing. I'm very impressed that you made your own arrangement and that you're singing and playing at the same time! I bet you're going to sound great at your live performance class!

Wouter79 - Your reapers sounded like they must be GOING to work, not coming back- they were so cheery and full of energy. Lovely work on the articulation and trills.

SLpianoproject - very prettily done -I don't know this piece and didn't notice any obvious fluffs. I can understand wanting to get the piece recorded while the piano is freshly tuned, it sounded great. Your video was really nice to watch too!

LadyPayne: How very creative! I enjoyed both your pieces and think you're very clever and talented to be able to make your own arrangements and play them this way.

I had been hoping to put this piece in the March Piano bar, but as Saranoya just submitted it a short while ago, I thought I'd join in April's thread.
My version didn't have the trills written in, therefore I studied it without trills. That's how I recorded it. (I'll probably work on adding in the trills later, but it will take some training!)

I'd been having some difficulty getting recorded - and even just playing through without errors.... finally realized (with the help of others) that at least part of the problem was trying to speed up after having practised at a slower tempo.
So... I did a few takes, and though one was probably better in terms of no-flubs, this one has better dynamics and the flubs are not horrifying smile

I present my efforts on Handel's "Impertinence".

https://www.box.com/s/3asnxdooytlm44q2rfob

Posted by: Saranoya

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/30/13 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Starr Keys
This is my arrangement of My Funny Valentine. I am performing it, both piano and vocal, live for my performance class in 2-1/2 weeks. I still have some more work to do on the vocal.

You do. But I bet you could be fabulous if you found a song that stays within your natural range. And I envy you the ability to sing and play piano at the same time.

Originally Posted By: wouter79

A little uneven on the timing, but I love your ornamentation!

Originally Posted By: slpianoproject
Let's say I just play more the way I feel than what's really written on the paper.

I'm the same way! My teacher usually comments on it too, and while she tries to correct me sometimes, other times she just 'goes with the flow', or even compliments me on the choices I make in terms of interpretation.

By the way, I don't know what the score actually says, but I really, really like your interpretation of this. And you've just convinced me that one of these 'songs without words', at least, needs to go on my '50 things to play' list.

Thank you so much for sharing, even if it's 'early'.

Originally Posted By: ladypayne
I did something a little different this time. I recorded some songs off YouTube and then put it together with my piano music.

Different, but interesting. Were you listening to these songs as you recorded your piano part? If not, I'm impressed. If so, still pretty darn good wink.

Originally Posted By: casinitaly

Heh. Thanks for that! Indeed, no trills. And no (or almost no) legato! I actually had a rather lengthy discussion with my teacher about whether I could do legato in a piece that was written in Händel's time. She seemed convinced that if Händel had had access to a modern piano, he would have written it the way I played it. But I actually quite like your version, and I'm pretty sure it's more historically accurate.

Here comes my entry for this month:

https://soundcloud.com/saranoya/burgmuller-die-klare-bach

I played this piece yesterday, at my class recital, and mangled it badly. So this is a kind of 'proof of concept', to myself and to the world, that I can actually do a halfway decent rendition of this piece, even while under pressure (in this case, the pressure came from the red dot instead of a live audience).

It's not up to tempo (not by a long shot - the metronome marking on the score says 144 BPM to a quarter note), and uneven in places, but it's the first take I did, so it represents my current level of competence with this piece pretty accurately -- at least, when I'm not horrendously nervous.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/30/13 02:48 PM

Saranoya - I recognized that immediately! I really like that piece ! In Italian it is called "Limpido Ruscello" (pronounced "rooSHELLoh". If you aren't up to tempo, I can't imagine how tough it is to get faster. I have tried playing it at various times but always get cramps in my hand with holding down the thumb and playing the other notes. It is on my "I want to play" list though!
Posted by: peterws

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/30/13 06:47 PM

SLPianoproject Nice, man! nice nice! And your piano sounds as good as the best on Youtube. Including Steinways etc. . . .I concur with your issues regarding tempos on some o` these pieces. My Menddelsohn offering is faster than usual. Because I like it that way . . . .

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/30/13 07:51 PM

Wouter - thanks for helping me to jumpstart the April Bar. You are off to the races with your high expectations for mastering your period style. And I wish I had your piano!

Maple - I really appreciate your interjecting your sense of humor here. It's just what we all need this month to take ourselves a little less seriously.

SlPiano Project - I was fascinated by your description of how you work with your classical pieces with your teacher's goodnatured but qualified support. If I could have ever found a classical teacher willing to do that with me, I think I might have an entirely different attitude toward teachers. I thought you played it beautifully, but now you've really got me curious to take a look at some more PC interpretations of the piece and compare them with yours.

Lady Payne - What a great idea and creative exercise in teaching yourself accompaniment and arranging for an ensemble. I can't believe your timing! …And in more than one sense… I listened to your contributions just after a musician friend of mine sent me an email in response to my song in which she said "Sometime you might try recording the voice first and then trying to accompany it. I'd love to let that voice be unfettered." And then I see you doing exactly this with other voices. And succeeding so well, it inspired me!

Mark - Thanks a lot Mark for the positive feedback especially in regard to the arrangement working with the vocal.

CasinItaly -- Thanks, I'm always happy to hear you like my singing because I know its something you aspire to do yourself. I am singing and playing in this recording but not at the same time. I did do that last Monday at my voice teacher's recital and previously in class, though. Much to my surprise I pulled it off without a hitch on Monday on all of the vocal portions, but as soon as I got to the piano solo and stopped singing my hands began to shake and I lost my concentration. I knew both parts and find it much more difficult to play and sing at the same time so this really surprised me. Both my voice teacher and piano performance instructor said I could fix it easily if I just had a lead sheet to refer to at the performance. We shall see!
Posted by: BillM

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/30/13 10:02 PM

Starr Keys - This is a fine vocal performance, but your accompaniment on this great tune really stands out. I would never attempted such a complex piano arrangement while singing - very well done!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/30/13 10:05 PM

slpianoproject - This is an outstanding effort - both visually and aurally! Very entertaining.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/30/13 10:17 PM

casinitaly - you always manage to bring a certain style and jauntiness to your recordings. No matter what piece you are playing there seems to be an underlying lilt to your playing that is very enjoyable. I'm glad you decided to join the bar this month.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/30/13 10:24 PM

Here is a piano vocal cover of the song by Procol Harum that was released in 1967. Although I arranged this for solo piano and voice I couldn't resist unleashing the Roland Church Organ for the final instrumental break.

Whiter Shade of Pale

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/30/13 11:47 PM

CasInItaly - I'm starting to think that after I get all my ideas for creating my own arrangements and accompaniments under my belt, I will find a classical teacher to teach me technique and articulation the way yours have taught you. I am so impressed by your control of tone and dynamic balance. I heard you say your goal is to play a more modern jazzy style, but I'm thinking that after the training you've had, your mastery of the latter might benefit from your being classically trained.

Saranoya - What a gorgeous avalanche of sound. It's hard to imagine it sounding better at any other tempo.

Thanks for your feedback on my piece. I did have my doubts about this being too low for me. My private voice teacher thought it was a good key but not so my college group instructor (he said to go higher). I'm still learning how to mix different registers and its going to take a lot more experimentation, butI'll definitely take what you say under consideration.

Bill M - Procol Harem along with the Moody Blues are my husband's favorite bands from youth. You totally do them justice, and your musical choices, like using the Church organ in the solo, are always right on. If you would not attempt an arrangement as complex as the one I did with my vocal, then I have to question whether it should have been done. Thank you for your compliment on my arrangement. You make me want to trade in both my acoustic and Casio PX330 for a Roland.
Posted by: Newman

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 02:11 AM

... and they're racing! Wow, a flying start!

I recorded this today, thinking I'd post it in a couple of days when the April Bar got going. It's in line with my habit of posting Beatles tunes -sorry- but it's only a very short version.

Michelle

(Kind of a Soul Train version - for those old enough to get the reference).

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 02:17 AM

StarrKeys – Good to see you back at the bar! A great song.

Wouter – An interestingh piece. Very sprightly. I could hear it on a harpsichord.

Slpianoproject - I like that piece (and good video work. You know, teachers are not always right!

LadyPayne - What a great idea! Sounds good too. Now, let me see, if a record a Beatles tune and play along …

Casinitaly – good work. Sounds professional.

Bill - As usual, a great song. You know, I think I like the piano better than the organ sound. It really brings the part to life.
Posted by: SwissMS

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 03:40 AM

Wow! It is not even April yet, and the PianoBar has taken off with some great music.

StarrKeys - You have a lovely voice. I liked the piano arrangement as well. This is going to sound awesome with the M&H Concert grand!

Wouter - I am unfamiliar with this piece, but you gave it a nice baroque feeling. You handled the many Mordents/trills very well!

Sipianoproject. I really like this piece, and your video treatment was excellent! I like the tempo that you chose. It gives the piece the feeling of moving on.

Ladypayne - What and interesting idea to accompany the Youtube arrangements. It turned out very well!

Casinitaly - You gave this a very nice baroque feel. Very well played, and congratulations for finding a way of mastering the red dot anxiety.

Saranoya - Nice dynamics and steady rhythm. I can see how this could be quite challenging at 144bpm! You have a nice feel for the piece.

BillM - What a gentle approach to Whiter Shade of Pale. I liked the organ at the end. Nicely done!

Newman - A soft, sensitive rendition of Michelle. Very nice.

Here is my first video of my new Bechstein grand with my Q3HD. I am still experimenting with the best placement of the camera for optimum sound and video. I have not figured out how to control the reflection off of the polished ebony, and I am still trying to decide if it is better filmed from the right or left. This piece is called Bacarolle. It is one of what I call my "lonely piano" repertoire because it is something that is pleasing to most people and I feel comfortable to sit down at a piano in a hotel lobby or other venue and play it!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 04:31 AM

Bill, thanks for the nice interpretation of Whiter Shade of Pale. The tempo is spot on I think. Nice organ switch at the end. Nice how you can sing in rubato while keeping the piano in steady pace

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 04:37 AM

>Here is my first video of my new Bechstein grand with my Q3HD. I am still experimenting with the best placement of the camera for optimum sound and video. I have not figured out how to control the reflection off of the polished ebony, and I am still trying to decide if it is better filmed from the right or left. This piece is called Bacarolle. It is one of what I call my "lonely piano" repertoire because it is something that is pleasing to most people and I feel comfortable to sit down at a piano in a hotel lobby or other venue and play it!

Nice playing and congratulations with your new Bechstein!
Regarding the cam position, I suggest the right side and open the lid. Try high enough so that the mics on the camera can 'see' most of the strings. That might give an even better sound and should reduce the haze in the image that you have now due to the bright light behind the piano (backlight).

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 05:03 AM

Saranoya: Thanks for your comments. My teacher and I had a discussion about the legato and staccato…more than one actually! He has done some serious study of the baroque period, and he’s also a conductor. He felt that the staccato ---particularly the staccato in the left paired with the legato longer notes in the right – was a technique that I have to master. Given that I love baroque music, I’m inclined to agree with him.

StarrKeys: I hadn’t realized you were doing two recordings and combining – but still…. It is great to listen to you. And soon you WILL be doing it live! You should get someone to record your live performance for you! Thanks for your feedback on my piece. I think you are right, that the training I’m getting from the classics (and the Classics !) is a super foundation for someday being able to play whatever takes my fancy. There’s no doubt that I’ve got a great teacher who has really been drawing my attention to depths and details in even the simplest pieces.

BillM: Thanks for your feedback on my piece! I find it very gratifying that you hear the energy – I’m starting to recognize those certain moments when the music really flows, and though the results may be marginally less accurate, they are always more musical. I’m hoping that in the future these moments will improve in the accuracy department!

As for your Whiter Shade of Pale: I loved your arrangement. Funny, but someone was just talking about this piece in another thread this week. If you’d asked me just a few days ago which band had played it, I wouldn’t have had a clue. The husky quality of your voice adds to the performance and “feel” of this music, and I especially enjoyed the smooth switch over to the organ voice near the end – that was a lovely dramatic flourish.

Len Newman: Another who sings and plays! I am always so impressed. You made this sound like it was not too hard to play ---- which means that it is more likely pretty darn challenging and you’ve pulled it off beautifully. Thanks for your “professional” comment on my piece, I am delighted with that!

SwissMS--- Thanks! Yes, I think I've (to some extent- or at least for the moment) conquered the beast! As for your piece on your beautiful new piano - loved it. It has a lovely gentle lilt to it, it makes me think of little girls picking flowers on a hillside, with the breeze making the flowerheads dance in the wind. Charming!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 06:47 AM

Regarding the cam position, I suggest the right side and open the lid. Try high enough so that the mics on the camera can 'see' most of the strings. That might give an even better sound and should reduce the haze in the image that you have now due to the bright light behind the piano (backlight).

Thanks for the advice, Wouter79! I will try it this way next time.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 06:48 AM

Blimey, you`ve got off to an early start . . .You`d be popular as bus drivers - NOT!!
Posted by: Amaruk

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 08:15 AM

So many great pieces already! I'll get back and give feedback on them shortly.

Usually I play pieces from sheet music collections. But this time I stumbled upon this incredible talent on YouTube, Eric Daniel, and he had his own arrangement of the piece I wanted to play. I liked Eric's arrangement much better so I decided to use it instead (the arrangement is available for download on his YouTube video). Thank you so much Eric!!!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 08:43 AM

Amaruk - This is absolutely fabulous video work, as usual. It is a lovely version and you played it well. I have been searching for a nice version of this piece. Thanks for the link!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 05:27 PM

Newman: ... You made this sound like it was not too hard to play ---- which means that it is more likely pretty darn challenging ...

Thanks. To be honest, the way I play it, it's an easy one.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 05:31 PM

Amaruk - a nice piece and, as we have come to expect, great video. Does anyone else hear, "and did those feet in ancient times" in the melody?

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 06:27 PM

Anyone having trouble loading video from You tube via the blue box?

Can't get a video to load...

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 06:42 PM

Saranoya the Burgmüller was so well done, I had previously worked on it but never was able to smooth it out. You played it beautifully.

BillM thanks for pulling this gem out. Haven't heard it in a long time. Your interpretation came out great.

Newman nice job, especially with the vocals. Everyone seems to be joining Bill...:)

SwissMS I really enjoyed this mellow piece...the Bechstein sounds great!

Amaruk great job as always...I like this piece too...you play so relaxed. Always an A for the video work.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 06:48 PM

Video seems to work now...here is a short piece called Sunrise on the Harbor.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 07:23 PM

Newman -- Thank you for the welcoming me back to the Bar. If the complexity of my arrangement fettered my vocal, the simplicity of yours did just the opposite. It made it take flight. Lovely job!

Amaruk -- I am stunned by the depth of your artistry. I thought you played it much more soulfully than the arranger --I tried to find the arrangement at his site but only found the lead sheet. I love cinema and music and you weave them together beautifully. Keep weaving.

SwissMs -- I love the calm serenity of your selections and playing. I could always count on you to provide a fine auditory experience, but I'm so delighted that now I can actually see you giving it. Your piano and even the white glow of the Alps encircling you in its aura are just how I pictured them.

[Mark, sorry I missed you, will get you on the next batch]

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 07:57 PM

Starr Keys I think you Casio sounded great the way you played it here. Great playing and I really liked your arrangement. It is always great to hear you sing on your pieces like this. That is what makes this piano bar so special. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Wouter79 I never heard this piece before but I liked it and you play it great. It sounds like a quite difficult piece but you play it like it was super easy. Well done!!

slpianoproject Amazing is all I can say. The sound of your piano and the way you record it is top notch. Your playing is great and so is the way you use video to present your work. I really liked the split screen effects. Thanks for sharing!

Ladypayne I loved your Winnie the Pooh and Jesus I love Thee. Your arrangements work great this way!! Great playing and mixing it all together like this!!

Casinitaly Great job on this Handel piece. Flubs or not, it sounds great and I know that sometimes we put too high goals on ourselves so just enjoy your playing as you play really good!!

Saranoya That was absolutely wonderful!! I loved and I am sure that it sounded as great when you played it the day before during your recital. Well done and thanks for sharing!!

BillM I always enjoy your performances and when I saw that you were playing a cover of one of my all times favorites pieces, I got very excited. And you delivered as always!! I used to play this piece on piano eons ago but I never managed to capture the spirit of the song as you do in this performance. It is brilliant how you changed the sounds of your piano here. you got a magical piano that is for sure! Well done and thanks for sharing!!

Newman Another master piece from you Newman! Loved it! Is that your own arrangement? Well played and your voice is spot on as always!!

SwissMS That is a lovely piano you got!! Congratulations!!! It sounds great and you play this piece very well. I am looking forward to more videos from you with this fantastic piano. Thanks for sharing!!

Mark Great video with beautiful scenery that match this piece perfectly. Nice touch to end it with a fade to a picture of your piano. This piece is new to me but you play it great! Thanks for sharing!!
Posted by: Riddler

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 08:55 PM

My offering this month is a beautiful hymn-like piece called "Love Ballade". It sounds like something composed by Schubert or Bach, but it was actually written and performed by Oscar Peterson. I am playing from the published score.

Love Ballade

Ed
Posted by: Elssa

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 03/31/13 10:35 PM

Starr Keys ~ You have such a melodious voice, and I'm always so impressed with your intricate creative accompaniment, as well. thumb

Bill ~ That was a great lovely arrangement, and I really love the Roland organ setting sound.. One of my favorite all-time songs smile

Well, here's a little tribute to my sweet kitty, Gwen (AKA Gueneviere), who passed over the Rainbow Bridge at age 18 recently. She always sat by me on the piano bench cushion, sometimes playing an ending note or two, and I'll miss her forever but am very grateful for our time together. :-)

MEMORY

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 03:29 AM

Casinitaly’s comment about a ‘challenge’ got me thinking.

I’m about two weeks shy of having had my piano for two years. Which means I’ve been self teaching/ learning how to play it for two years now.

So I set myself a challenge for today, Easter Monday my time, to play Michelle as below. When I started out I said I didn’t need to learn how to play melody in the RH as I was only interested in vocal accompaniment.

Well, today, after about 4 hours of constant practice (with breaks) I got to do this and am pretty pleased with it.

Michelle
(instr)
Posted by: LarryShone

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 04:59 AM

I like that, it sounds almost like a harpsichord or an early piano!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 07:30 AM

Mark...- Sunrise. You gave this a very impressionistic feeling, freely played. The video accompaniment worked very well. Very nice!

Riddler - The ballade is a very beautiful piece. I like your balance between with hands with a subdued accompaniment and a singing melody.

Elssa - Sorry to hear about your kitty. It is so hard to lose a pet. Memory is a fitting tribute, and you gave it a rich, full arrangement. Very nice!

Newman - Nice job on the instrumental version. You had me humming along.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 08:03 AM

Amaruk: That was really a pleasure to listen to -and to watch! I think you're very clever to have put that video together and it makes a charming backdrop to the music!

Mark... Even without the video I believe my mental image of the music would have matched the brilliant sunrise and the more subtle wave shots.

Ed - that was hypnotically soothing - what a relaxing piece. A bit of trivia to perhaps take some of the surprise out of this type of music coming from one of our jazz icons....One of Oscar Peterson's first teachers was the student of a student of Liszt - (Peterson - Paul de Marky - Istvan Thoman - Liszt!)

Elssa - I love watching your hands move on the keys - and the music you make. Condolences on the loss of your Gwen -- I haven't had a pet for a very long time, but I remember how hard it is to lose one.

Newman-- I liked the instrumental version! Now you can make a recording with vocals mixed with instrumentals! woohoo!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 09:45 AM

Very nice Sunrise piece Mark

Elssa, nice tribute!
Posted by: ElleC

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 09:54 AM

I'm still getting to know this forum so please pardon me. So is this where we share current pieces we are working on?

I have yet to listen to everyone's work but wow...how inspiring. So glad I found this forum. I'm excited to listen to other adult beginners.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 10:06 AM

Hello ElleC,

The piano bar is a monthly collection of submissions that folks want to share. You can post as often as you like.

We also have virtual recitals here in the Adult Beginner Forum (ABF) where you make one submission. These recitals open for submission on the first of February, May, August and November and the recital goes "live" - up for listening, on the 15th of those months.

There is also a relatively new development called "Themed recitals" which todate have presented us with a collection of Philip Glass, Erik Satie, and ..coming soon - Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words.
For these, a theme is suggested, the pieces listed and you "sign up" for one (or more) of the pieces.

In all of these venues you will hear folks with different amounts of experience performing. The term adult beginner is one that is often questioned ---it is a pretty lose description because some of the "beginners" here have now been playing for 10 years or so as adults. Some played as kids - and then came back after 20, 30 or more years, so really "re-starting" rather than starting from zero.
However, the ABFers are such a friendly bunch no-one wants to move off to a different forum!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 11:41 AM

Slow down, guys! I can`t keep up . . .yer like the checkout girl who`s shovin` stuff your way faster than ya can pack `em . . . dammit, I`ve got nothing to present yet either! . . .back to the piano . . .
Posted by: Augustina

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 02:26 PM

I put this piece a month or so ago in the piano bar when I first discovered it. So here is the final version of it that I played for my midterm last week:). There are still a few mistakes, and I rushed parts of it.
Also it is a little long and repeats itself a lot so I took out a page or two.
Sorry for the background noise... I recorded it in the orchestra room at work with my cell phone...

The approaching night by philip wesley

https://www.box.com/s/ryya95k6vw5mpcbceprt

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 02:42 PM

Some played as kids - and then came back after 20, 30 or more years, so really "re-starting" rather than starting from zero.

Yup, thats me!! Although Ive never had a piano myself...yet.
Posted by: Teodor

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 03:08 PM

This could be useful if one was to include it in some sort of improvisation. Just playing around with the whole tone scale. I love how it sounds.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 04:50 PM

ahh gotcha...thanks casinitaly!

in that case, here's my first contribution. This is the first Sonatina my teacher has me playing. It's got a long way to go but I'm just glad the speed is getting better.

https://www.box.com/s/z1p0veso3p4ogd40reyq

Hello ElleC,

The piano bar is a monthly collection of submissions that folks want to share. You can post as often as you like.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 05:14 PM

Newman - I listened to both of your Michelles' and must say I prefer the vocal version. That probably doesn't mean much as I almost always prefer vocal music to instrumental music. Aside from that preference I think your vocal version was more relaxed and more interesting although I didn't quite get the Soul Train reference and I'm very familiar with Soul Train. Good job on both.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 05:19 PM

SwissMS - This is a wonderful effort. Your piano has a warm, rich tone that brings out the nuances of your excellent piano work.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 05:26 PM

Amaruk - Your talent and creativity know no bounds. I was absolutely blown away by your video. You Da Man!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 05:30 PM

Mark... Loved the video and you fine piano performance. This piece fits the video perfectly. Did you pick the piece to fit the video or vice versa?

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 05:36 PM

Riddler - It does have sort of a classical feel to it, especially at the beginning. I like the way you give a strong emphasis to the lovely melody on this - while it is a love ballad you infused some power into your performance. Nice

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 05:42 PM

Elssa - I am so sorry for your loss. I had seen Gwen perform here in the Piano Bar and I am saddened by her passing. The ending to this beautiful tribue video is bitter sweet.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 05:48 PM

ElleC - this is a fine effort. You do a good job of maintaining the tempo and the performance is energetic and precise. Nice first post!!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 06:01 PM

Augustina, that's a lovely piece. It is quite a long piece too, (and you eliminated some!!!) --it must be a challenge to play. I particularly liked the brilliant little bits at the 3 minute mark and in the last minute. It sounds like it would be suitable for a film - something in the woods, with a rippling stream.

ElleC -- I'm blown away by what you can do after 3 months of piano!!! Complimenti!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 06:11 PM

Thank you Bill and casinitaly. i have so much to learn but I'm really enjoying the pieces I'm able to play in 3 months with no prior experience. I thought I'd be playing twinkle twinkle little star at my first recital last weekend! Thank you again... but of course, constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 06:53 PM

Mark Love the piece and how you used it to score your cinematic video. It reminded me of a sequence from a great silent screen classic, but updated with modern technology. I loved how toward the end your piano seemed to be outdoors with the landscape reflected on its innards and the the blue sky touching its outer skin.

Riddler I had no idea Oscar Peterson was such a classicist! I have to get some of the transcripts of his performance of standards based on this performance, as I love classically influenced cocktail music and hope to play it as well as you someday.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: BillM
Mark... Loved the video and you fine piano performance. This piece fits the video perfectly. Did you pick the piece to fit the video or vice versa?

Thanks Bill...I've been working on the piece for a while and hunted You tube for the video after the fact.
Posted by: Codi

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 07:35 PM

This is beautiful work by everyone! All played so smooth, and so amazing! I feel bad that I can only bang on these keys, nothing sounds soft on this piano but I love it anyway. I think I will do my next contribution on my 'soft' cable nelson.

I got a Disney book from eBay last week and picked the shortest song, so here is all I have :

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/01/13 08:56 PM

Elssa My cat Becky has spent many an hour at my side while I played. I only hope that, when the time comes to say goodbye to her, I can sublimate my feelings of loss into such a lovely tribute to her as yours is to Gwen. I think all your signature techniques work beautifully in this song. I have all your video tutorials and am planning on using your Blue Moon tutorial on my jazz final project, which lists it among songs we can play towards our final grade. Thank you also for your kind words on my song. Praise from you on a cocktail style arrangement and its melodic line is high praise, indeed.

Newman I have to agree with Bill about preferring the arrangement for accompaniment over the instrumental version and for the same reason. But I am really impressed how quickly you could turn the former into the latter. It shows you really know your music and that you're learning it in a way that will allow you the flexibility to perform both accompaniment and solo piano on the fly. My hat's off to you.

Augustina I was really excited to see your name at the Bar as, the last time I heard from you, you said you were going to take a college piano class and I was enthusiastic to see the results. It seems like you got a lot out of it. I was impressed with the rapidity and beauty of your runs around 3:29 and 4:35 and how you were able to slow down so dramatically both times without losing a beat. I see a lot of progress.

ElleC Great PW debut! I'm impressed with how you've made so much progress over such a short period of time. Welcome to the Bar.

Teodor - impressive scale work!

Codi I can see why you love that piano. Banging becomes it! Sometimes it's how you feel like playing, and the feeling is what communicates to the listener. This seemed fun for you and was fun for me. I think you play very well. Hope to hear more.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: BillM
Newman - I listened to both of your Michelles' and must say I prefer the vocal version. That probably doesn't mean much as I almost always prefer vocal music to instrumental music. Aside from that preference I think your vocal version was more relaxed and more interesting although I didn't quite get the Soul Train reference and I'm very familiar with Soul Train. Good job on both.

Thanks, Bill. I prefer vocal music too (as I'm sure you've figured out). I did the instrumental version to more or less say "after two years I can fake being able to play piano".

(The Soul Train/Midnight Special reference was in regard to it being a shortened version of the song)

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Amaruk

Newman ... Is that your own arrangement? ...

Thanks. Everything I play is, really.

Thanks, Starr Keys.

So much to listen to - I'll be back.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 07:54 AM

Starkeys An old classic? Dare I mention Eartha Kitt? Atmospheric singing. Your Casio was not lacking.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 08:01 AM

Augustina - That is a lovely piece and you played very well. You gave it a nice searching quality with calm serenity. Very nice!

Teodor - Very fun riffs! You make them look very easy.

ElleC - Nice job on the Clementi! You have good control over the dynamics, staccato, and the runs. This is amazing progress for only three months of playing piano. Way to go!

Codi - This has a nice Boogie Woogie feel. You gave it lots of energy. Nice!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 11:19 AM

Wouter Great! Sounds befitting for ye harpsichord . . .Get thee one pronto man! . . good trills and plenty of `em. Sounds a bit like Dangerman . . .

LadyPayne Good backing, lass. I liked the 2nd track best, and the singer(S) were great.

Casinitaly Ya play well; Handel and Bach are always good for . . .anything really. Particularly Bach who is good for jazz. Fiddly bits are handled well. Time will bring great rewards!

Saranoya I can see why some are passionate about acoustic pianos. There`s few as good as yours; very nice work indeed!

BillM Your own take on a particular song, a classic. Everybody likes the atmosphere you give to your music. And no wonder . .

Newman More happy memories. You and Bill need to do a double act . . . . an internet double act . . . that`d be interesting

SwissM Bacarolles come in so many forms! Yours was good and played with good pedal work.

I can see you`ve all been busier than me . . .
Posted by: Maechre

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 11:47 AM

Codi: Cool rendition of Cruella DeVil (or however it's spelt). smile It wasn't in the arrangement, but I was just imagining some tremolos on the "VIL" chord!

Howdy, everyone! What's it been, a year? I've done 3 new videos in the past couple of months, but I'll just post one at a time. This is the newest one. It's not pure improv, but it wasn't notated at all the way I played it. It still took me ages to get a take I was happy with.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 11:49 AM

How do I make my embed work? :'(

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 11:58 AM

I got to the end at last! Reverse order . .

Codi Impressive! Enjoyed your confident style. Look forwards to your next . .

ElleC Yor teacher`ll be well pleased . . Well done!

Teodor Food for thought, man. Liked the runs . . must work on stuff like that

Augustina The repeating melody, in a minor key, gives ir a flavor. Rain on a summers day. I`m in the bar watching it . . .

Elssa Even 9 lives are sometimes not enough! A good choice which Kitty would approve wholeheartedly . .

Ridder A modern "Moonlight Sonata"? Excellent! And your piano?

Mark - Great vid and tune. The discordant aspects gave it character.

Amaruk - The reverb on your piano gave theis piece a monastic feel to it. Very well done!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Maechre
How do I make my embed work? :'(

Make it like this [video:youtube]PASTE LINK TO VIDEO[/video]

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 12:05 PM

Thanks, Teodor! I have to give myself a view to do it. Oh well.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 12:34 PM

Thank you SwissMs, Amaruk, peterws, and anyone I forgot to thank. Your encouragement (particularly on my singing, which is a work in progress) is much appreciated. Peterws, I'm not sure what you mean with the Eartha kit reference. Did she do a classic version of my funny Valentine?

Maechre -- Lovely playing! I look forward to your other two videos. smile

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryShone

I like that, it sounds almost like a harpsichord or an early piano!

This actually is for harpsichord originally so it's great that that comes through so clear smile

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: peterws
Wouter Great! Sounds befitting for ye harpsichord . . .Get thee one pronto man! . . good trills and plenty of `em. Sounds a bit like Dangerman . . .

LOL yes I'd like to have one but so little space here in my appartment. Maybe there's a small one but I need a full range and most small ones have limited range and don't even fit this piece...

Dangerman?? Never heard of that? Googled it, yes that's a harpsichord in the opening, together with a jazz orchestra! Thanks, I learned something smile

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 03:37 PM

Elssa

Your over the top echo and sustain pedal with fast arpeggios and the string background seem to nicely paint the red furryness of Gueneviere smile

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 09:14 PM

Elssa, what a perfect musical farewell to your kitty! I remember her well, appearing when least expected in your videos. As always, that was an industrial strength arrangement with the right intro and ending, and lots of flashy arpeggios filling up any empty spots. Great left hand work as usual.

....One of Oscar Peterson's first teachers was the student of a student of Liszt - (Peterson - Paul de Marky - Istvan Thoman - Liszt!)

casinitaly
Wow, I did not know that. If he were the bragging kind, he could have tooted his own horn a bit. I've noticed there seems to be a kind of genealogy of students of students of ….of Liszt. They keep track of their lineage as if it were a family tree of descendants from some titled nobility, and brag accordingly. (My impression of Oscar was that he was more humble.) Anyway, I guess that helps to explain his mind-boggling virtuosity.

Augustina, well done. What a haunting melody. Quite a long piece to perform with no mistakes! Every Time I hear your playing, it sounds better!

Teodor, yes, fun scale to play around with. If you deconstruct the runs in the recordings of people like Thelonious Monk you often find whole tone scales.

ElleC, that was wonderful. Not only are you hitting the right notes, you are playing with lots of energy, feeling, good dynamics, etc. Remarkable for someone who just started. Hope you continue to contribute, and join the recitals too.

Codi, I know the sound of pounding on a piano; believe me, that was not pounding. Good job, keep them coming!

Maechre, very pretty, your RH arpeggios and left hand chords are quite controlled and well done.

Ed
Posted by: Inlanding

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 09:37 PM

So many April Piano Bar submissions before April 1 - I hope no one is in that big of a hurry to get through the month…

StarrKeys~ Very nice rendition is your, My Funny Valentine. It's a difficult tune sing and you do a very fine job of it, indeed. Glad you got to practice performing this on the web prior to your live performance at school! Very tastefully done - the accompaniment is spot-on with your singing.

wouter79~ Good effort with your rendition of Couperin. I've heard it played with a more strict tempo, but your rubato at nearly every turn gives it an interesting flavor. No easy piece to play.

slpianoproject~ great, Mendlessohn! You play with very relaxed, purposeful movements of your hands. This is a beautiful melody and you bring out the voice quite well. Thank you for you music.

ladypayne~ Loved the play along with the Winnie the Pooh. You have so much talent! The tone of your voice is beautiful and I hope to hear more of your singing.

casinitaly~ you've come a very long way in these past few months! Impertinence is very well done! You brought out the voices beautifully and with such confidence. What a difference - Bravo!

Saranoya~ what a marvelous rendition of one of my favorite Burgmuller's Op 100 pieces. Great, subtle dynamics you bring to the fore.

BillM~ Holy smokes, man! Your repertoire knows no bounds. I loved your interpretation of, Whiter Side of Pale. Your relaxed delivery and sense of time is a joy to hear. Really good stuff, as they say. I listened to it several times - as always, thanks for the treat!

Newman~ again, you bring out of my all-time favorite Beatles Ballades. Haha. I did not hear the soul-train in your version. I just heard the care you bring to all the Beatles music you share. I'd like to hear this one again with a few rounds put together. Great one!

SwissMS~ Your Bacarolle is fabulous. If I heard you playing it in a hotel lobby, I'd stop to listen, for sure. You play with such care, as though you really enjoy listening the music as it comes from your hands.

Amaruk~ This Misty Mountains Cold tune fits your style of playing so very well - nicely played, for sure. As well, your excellent video editing is really befitting. This is a keeper, although it seemed too short.

Mark…~ Sunrise on the Harbour sounds like a difficult piece to play, as it seems to slide out of one key, into another quickly. This is great, but it, too, seem to end too quickly. I was wanting more.

Ed~ OP is one my all-time favorites. I 've always enjoyed his ballad arrangements. When I saw him in concert way back when, it took me about 2 hours to scrape my chin from the floor. You brought out the melody quite well. It sounds like there are a few different ways you could have done it, and you choose a beautiful way of bringing out OP's music. Great work.

Elssa~ so sorry for your loss! Memory is a perfect tune for you to play and you played it so well.

Augustina~ Never heard of Phillip Wesley before. Thanks for the introduction to his music. Your playing is getting much more refined and it certainly shows in this piece. I hope your midterm went as you liked.

ElleC~ Welcome to the Piano Bar! Thank you for your Clementi. You played it with a nice, solid tempo and your dynamics are great. Look forward to more of your playing.

Codi~ Welcome to the Piano Bar! Cruella de Ville is great! I can imagine you playing a few different rounds of this piece and adding a slightly different melody each time. Great work, indeed!

Maechre~ Glad you got a take you liked. I thought Kingdom Hearts was great. I only wish it were a bit longer - your playing is quite nice.

Glen

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 10:33 PM

Thanks, guys. smile

Inlanding: I'll look at more variations next time - I didn't want to go through more than once because I was afraid a mistake would mean more takes. For that reason, a lot of my recordings are short. frown
Posted by: ladypayne

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 10:53 PM

All the music is great so far! here's another submission that I recorded with someone singing. The voice behind this one is Darlene Zschech I think. Btw I definitely do not sing only play the piano smile I play the music and play along with it. I could never get the exact tempo if I were to do it separately. At least not at this point in time. It's hard =) Anyway enjoy my own arrangement of Amazing Grace.

https://www.box.com/s/ee806ncf0105tsscub3m

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/02/13 11:17 PM

First time I've heard this (i'm not really adept to classical music yet...just getting into it since i started the piano). That sounded beautiful to me. I definitely want to learn this some day.

Originally Posted By: Saranoya

I played this piece yesterday, at my class recital, and mangled it badly. So this is a kind of 'proof of concept', to myself and to the world, that I can actually do a halfway decent rendition of this piece, even while under pressure (in this case, the pressure came from the red dot instead of a live audience).

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 02:26 AM

Here is the other piece I posted about a month or so ago. I think I've made a few improvements since then:)Anyways my piano teacher thought it would be a good piece to play for the final exam in May. I am not use to playing this style of music so I'm finding it a bit challenging. I have the first 2 pages down which I also played for my midterm..
I still have 3 more pages to go and not much time left. Scary! anyways hopefully I'll have the entire song ready by time the recital comes around..:)

Hungary: Rapsodie Mignonne, Opus 410 by Carl Koelling
https://www.box.com/s/zn8j8thq8aynfhg4uzti

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 02:54 AM

I’ll preface with a remark I often make … That is, I’m simply too uninformed and unqualified to comment much on the classical pieces. But I must say, courtesy of the bar, I am being exposed to more of it lately – and not disliking it as I did when I was younger.

Swissm – Sounds familiar. Nice work.

Mark - Is that your own tune?

Riddler – Good work. Great sounding piano

Wouter – Sounds to be very much of its period and, yes, almost a harpsichord.

Elssa – Sorry to hear about your cat.

Augustina - A nice piece

ElleC - Sounds good.

Codi - A great tune. I was playing around with this myself the other day. Well, the first four bars anyway (couldn’t play anymore than that). There are lots of songs are built around slight variations on those first four bars. Have a go at the theme to the movie Bonnie and Clyde, it’ll sound great on that piano.

Maechre – Could have been longer ... But I completely understand your logic (same as mine)

Ladypayne - Amzing Grace – beautiful

Augustina – Quite dark and European. I liked it.

Ha Dangerman! Funny, but I’ve been watching repeats of it lately. I liked it when I was a kid. It stands up pretty well after all these years. I’d also like to see Man in a Suitcase. When I was a kid the theme, by Ron Grainer, got me interested in theme music from a young age.
Posted by: Elssa

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 03:32 AM

Thanks so much, all, for your kind words.

Ed ~ Your Love Ballade was so dreamy - really enjoyed it. smile

Well, here's one more with Gwen playing one or two of her purrfect ending notes. I always get the dreaded "red light syndrome" when playing/recording, like most people, but having her next to me on the piano bench all these years purring away and never critical made recording so much nicer and easier - and fun. :-)

Take The A Train (Duke Ellington)

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 03:37 AM

So... This is the first time in my musical journey that I've had 2 pieces ready to record at the same time. This is also my first Schumann piece - "Melody". I've seen some videos with people playing it at this tempo, and others which are faster. I'd like to get the tempo up, but for the moment this is as fast as my comfort levels let me go! From what I've heard, I do prefer the slightly slower versions to the very fast ones. This was a nice exercise for working with dynamics and also playing with tempo at certain measures.

Melody

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 03:52 AM

Codi -- that was great fun! I felt like dancing about the livingroom while listening to it!

Maechre - That was really lovely --- so lovely I felt it was too short! More please!

LadyPayne - you're on a roll. I liked your Amazing Grace very much, rich but not overpowering for the vocals!

Augustina - that sounds like an extremely challenging piece. ---But it also sounds like it must be tremendous fun to play. 3 more pages to go!--- You're going great guns so far. I do hope you'll let us hear the full verison when you've completed it!

Elssa, your A-train was hoppin' ! (I have to confess, I know that music, we play it often,...but I never realized until today that THIS is Take the A Train! ah well, live and learn smile I have never noticed the bouncing light on your console before -it made me think of flashes of light hitting the cymbals. Gwen's final "toccata" was charming.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 08:49 AM

Codi - This was big fun! I love how you gave this kind of a blusy, honky-tonk swing. You have a good sense of rhythm.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 08:51 AM

Maechre - What a lovely tune, well played. I was left wanting more.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 08:56 AM

Elssa - Take the A Train really hit your sweet spot. I love the moving bass line and your always excellent arrangement. Nice cameo by Gwen.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 09:02 AM

casinitaly - I'm not familiar with this piece but I think your tempo is perfect. It is such a beautiful piece and you play it in an understated and elegant way. Very nicely done!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 11:48 AM

I have some deadlines this week and I probably wont be able to get back to listening and responding to submissions till the weekend, but I did want to thank one more person.

Inlanding Thank you so much for your many kind words. I always look forward to your comments on my performance but I particularly appreciate your encouraging me to use the bar as rehearsal space for my live performances at school, as I know I've been preoccupied with the latter and haven't done much participating in the former or in any part of the ABF--until last week, that is, which was Spring Break. It literally was serendipity that I found myself taking all these classes all of a sudden, when up till now circumstances have prevented me from even taking one. Its a bit overwhelming so I really appreciate the support.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 01:50 PM

A few thank yous!

Amaruk - yes, a flub here or there shouldn't make or break the whole performance. Coping with them is as important as not making them. (Mind you I do enjoy it when I get a flub-free recording! -They are so rare!)

Peterws - thanks observing and commenting on the fiddly bits, - they were tricky!

Glen - Your encouragement always means a lot to me - and heaven knows you've always been ready to listen and give support. I can feel progress, but it is wonderful to know others are hearing it!

BillM - I'm glad I introduced you to a new piece! And you think I played it with elegance! -- now that's a lovely thing to hear!

Grazie mille a tutti!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Codi
This is beautiful work by everyone! All played so smooth, and so amazing! I feel bad that I can only bang on these keys, nothing sounds soft on this piano but I love it anyway. I think I will do my next contribution on my 'soft' cable nelson.

I got a Disney book from eBay last week and picked the shortest song, so here is all I have :

That was fabulous! My kids loved it too wink

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 04:32 PM

This is the best I can do right now . . .sometimes I reckon the other instruments are a pain in the well, you know . . .this needs reworking; . . . tomorrow! (tomorrow never comes ha ha) Spot the deliberate mistakes . . .Cash prizes donated by the moderators . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byixwVP8cVQ

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 04:40 PM

peterws,
Great job again! Is this an original? Loved it. Are all these instruments from your DP?

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 04:44 PM

Peterws - that was good late evening listening pleasure --- mellow, relaxing, great flow.
I loved the video - some of the scenes reminded me of West Coast Canada. Just beautiful.

(P.S.It was worth the effort to put the extra instruments in !)

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 04:44 PM

Maechre - For that reason, a lot of my recordings are short. frown I love the logic here. . . . your rendition sounded good on the instrument you have. Is it a Yamaha? I use one similar. . .they`re easy to record from.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 04:49 PM

Augustina - You played that with confidence and style. However, you dropped a mark, `cos I heard you turn over the page!! VERY naughty!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 04:51 PM

Augustina - You played that with confidence and style. However, you dropped a mark, `cos I heard you turn over the page!! VERY naughty!

That's her trademark smile I have great affection for that sound.

I'm betting that for the exams though, she'll have a page turner!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 04:54 PM

Elssa - I`ll take the A train any time Elssa`s on it playin` . . . yer best one yet, lass! If it aint got that swing . . . it has!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 04:57 PM

Casinoitaly Shumman`s stuff is very melodious and tuneful. You do it justice. More Shumman if you please.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 05:01 PM

Thanks Amaruk. It was original, but it never gelled as it were. I lost interest. It happens . . . All the voices are from my little DP. They could be better, but they could be a whole lot worse . .

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 05:05 PM

That's her trademark smile I have great affection for that sound.

I'm betting that for the exams though, she'll have a page turner!

Yup thats a trademark
smile. I have to have it memorized for the final:)

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/03/13 05:07 PM

Thank you everyone for the wonderful comments:) you guys always give such good feedback:):)

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/04/13 02:05 AM

Maechre - For that reason, a lot of my recordings are short. frown I love the logic here. . . . your rendition sounded good on the instrument you have. Is it a Yamaha? I use one similar. . .they`re easy to record from.

Funnily enough, it's an old Casio keyboard with unweighted keys. In the coming videos I'll show off my newer digital piano. smile

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/04/13 02:12 AM

Thank you all for the comments! Here's the next video, which is a little bit longer. wink

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/04/13 02:35 AM

That was most interesting Maechre! -- more mysterious than the previous piece -and what a strong dramatic finish!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/04/13 05:55 AM

Thank you very much, casinitaly! I practised slowly for days to achieve that level. wink
Posted by: sislermi

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/04/13 10:46 AM

Chopin Op. 10 No. 1

I'm still getting better at it btw, this is just so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bb_hQ8hWrU

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/04/13 10:56 AM

Originally Posted By: sislermi
Chopin Op. 10 No. 1

Very good! Ive not heard this piece before, it does not look easy!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/04/13 11:05 AM

Chopin Op. 10 No. 1

I only noticed a couple of very minor mistakes. The thing that stood out to me in this performance is how beautifully even your arpeggios are!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/04/13 11:40 AM

Maechre - It sounds like you created your own arrangements for both pieces. They were both very nicely done. I especially liked your second piece. It was a very sensitive arrangement with a strong finish. Very nice.

Ladypayne - Your accompaniment arrangement of Amazing Grace worked beautifully. It complimented the singing without over powering it. Very well done!

Augustina - I really like Hungary Rhapsody! It sounds really fun to play. You gave it a lot of energy. You will do great at your final.

Elssa - I like the kitty paw contribution at the end. And, you have a recorded lasting memory of a good friend!

Casinintaly- You played this piece with a very nice, soothing, gentle touch. It gives it a happy, child-like feel. It put a smile on my face.

peterws - You musical creation fits a "traveling kind of mood" very well. Your creative blend of instruments is very nice. Great listening!

sislermi - Wow! That is some nice, fast arpeggio work! Very nice playing.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/04/13 01:06 PM

Chopin Op. 10 No. 1

Geez, sislermi, I'm &%^&&^(^ green with envy. Really, I've always loved that piece and I've wanted to play it for like sixty years! I've looked at the score, but found it too intimidating.

I'm curious - do you have large hands? Can you reach a tenth with your right hand? Did you practice anything special to build up to this?

Ed
Posted by: sislermi

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/04/13 01:16 PM

Yes, I can fit a tenth on my right hand. Just practice slow and make sure the arpeggios are even before speeding up.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/04/13 01:26 PM

Good work! It didn't sound easy or straightforward. I like both , . . .
Posted by: Weiyan

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/04/13 11:20 PM

Starr Keys: Your voice is charming.
Wouter79: Good.
slpianoproject: The video and the music are very good. You are working on your music. Keep the good work!

ladypayne: The Winnie the Pool is very nice. The piano comp of Jesus I Love Thee is very good.

casinitaly: The Impertinence is well played. Different parts can be heard clearly.
Saranoya: Burgmuller's piece is very nice.
BillM: The arrangement of the Whiter Shade of Pale. The organ in final section is very cool.

Newman: I like your voice.
SwissMs: Bacarolle, your "drink song" is very good. Your playing is professional.
Amaruk: The Misty Mountains Cold video is very good. It like professional music video.
Mark: Sunrise on the Harbor, the music and the scene are very good. The music seems had not finished. If there is harbor scene is better match with the title.

Riddler: Love Ballade: Good harmony. I like the guitar feel arrangement.
Ellsa: Memory is my favor song too. You changed a new piano? The harmony seems richer, but sorry for feeling the sound quality is poorer than previous records.

Newman: Just four hours practice, you are talent!
Augustina: Approaching Night: Its morning here, but I felt the night is approaching in your music.

Teodor: Your whole tone scale experiment is very nice.
ElleC: Welcome. The Sonatina is well played.
Codi: Welcome. The disney song is very nice. You are a good sight reader.
Maechre: Your improvisation of the Kingdom Hearts is very good.
Ladypayne: I enjoy your arrangement of the Amazing Grace. I like your Celtic voice.
Augustina: The Hungary is well played.
Ellsa: Take the A Train, my favor song too. I had listened Celina Jone's singing. The ending not same as your regular sixth run. Is this min blues? I am sorry the say that the best note is played by the kitten!
Peterws: The video is very good. Waiting for your next best.
Maechre: The 2nd version seems less emotional. Can't decide which version is better.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/04/13 11:23 PM

There are many good music this month.

This my first submission for April:

Bach Minuet in D min,
First Lessons In Bach 10.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 04:38 AM

Genuine harpsichord trills on a piano! that takes me bach. A few hundred years . . . Have you ever thought of introducing a bit of added reverb to the piano? I think you can do this on Audacity or other programmes. Might be interesting . .

Nice, man!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 05:56 AM

sislermi: that looks ...beyond challenging! Impressive on many levels!

Weiyan: I really like this piece. You seem to have a good understanding of the technique needed to play this piece. Good work with the voices!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 08:25 AM

sislerme Now come on, man . .. I`m turning green . . . . sounds involved and very dramatic. DON`T tell people you play like this when you come to sell that instrument! You have an excellent capability. And the time . . .

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 02:13 PM

here's another one for the bar. Fell in love with JS Bach with this piece...I really wanted to play it and surprisingly was able to during my first month of piano. Though until now, I must say that it's still coming along. This one is played from my digital keyboard. I'm getting my acoustic piano delivered tomorrow so the next contributions will be played from my U1 =)

https://soundcloud.com/elle_c/menuet-bwv-anh-116-js-bach

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 02:13 PM

Chopin's Prelude in C minor. I haven't studied it yet but I doubt I'd play it in a more profound way if I did, I am what I am right now, a work in progress myself ^_^

Posted by: leturn

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 02:22 PM

Teodor, very nicely done. It is only the 5th day of the month and the submissions are soooo inspiring. This forum gives me so much motivation. I look forward to the piano bar every month though I have not submitted yet. I have just decided what piece I would like to submit. If not this month, next month

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 02:39 PM

Thank you, this piece is my proof to myself that I do not need to spend too much time before being able to play something on a decent level.
Posted by: JimF

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 04:17 PM

Weiyan,

You are making remarkable progress. On the Bach D minor you may want to check that you hold some of those quarter notes for their full value. Good job overall.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 05:06 PM

Teodor – dark – both music and video
Maechre - I enjoyed that
Peterws – video and music worked well together. Music was good - don’t be so hard in yourself
Weiyan - Keep it up. Never ceases to amaze me how much different music you try - braver than I

And thanks all for the positive feedback

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 05:19 PM

for someone who hasn't studied the piece yet..that's pretty impressive. I have heard this Chopin piece before and it's probably one of his "darker" (or sadder) pieces that I like.
Posted by: keystring

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 05:22 PM

When I joined PW I had injured myself on another instrument, and didn't dare do much with piano until I could get a teacher. I stuck mostly to doing theory. And then when I did, it has taken another year for me to dare post anything. As luck would have it, the piece I worked on and planned to post is also the Chopin Cm Prelude. I hope that's ok, Teodor. blush Yours is a run-through, and mine is as finished as I can make it. This is as far as I can go, because I am also "unfinished".

I recorded this yesterday, after getting feedback and ideas from my teacher.
Chopin - Cm Prelude - last version

This is the version I came up with first.
Cm Prelude - 1st try last week

@Teodor - How do you get a sound file into Youtube with a picture?

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: ElleC
here's another one for the bar. Fell in love with JS Bach with this piece...I really wanted to play it and surprisingly was able to during my first month of piano. Though until now, I must say that it's still coming along. This one is played from my digital keyboard. I'm getting my acoustic piano delivered tomorrow so the next contributions will be played from my U1 =)

Tomorrow? Why not play it tomorrow on the acoustic and post here?

And maybe you can post in box instead of soundcloud, my browser gets in an infinite loop "waiting for soundcloud" ...

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 05:34 PM

keystring, nice. I prefer the slower version. The last chord of 3rd measure should be cminor, not cmajor? First I thought it was just a flub but you play it like that in both versions

Theodor, also nice version, a tad slow but it fits the funeral march and I prefer this sound over the digital smile I see some room for improvement of recording quality wink

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 05:51 PM

keystring, that was lovely. you are able to bring out the emotions well. can't wait to hear your finished version.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 05:52 PM

ok wouter, i'll see what i can do. and have you tried using a different browser?

Tomorrow? Why not play it tomorrow on the acoustic and post here?

And maybe you can post in box instead of soundcloud, my browser gets in an infinite loop "waiting for soundcloud" ...

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 06:02 PM

Theodor, also nice version, a tad slow but it fits the funeral march and I prefer this sound over the digital smile I see some room for improvement of recording quality wink

I was trying to slow down. I played through it a few times and I noticed I was rushing it. It is marked Lento after all, which is just a general direction to play slowly.

Originally Posted By: keystring

Well it's easy you open up Windows Movie Maker (if you use a Windows PC you have it). You download a picture in a convenient location on your PC and then just drag it into the movie maker program. You then add the mp3 as audio line below it and adjust the duration of the picture to as much as the audio lasts (assuming you want it to last through the whole audio track).

By the way I like your version much better, it's more thoughtful and meaningful.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 06:34 PM

Here`s another one. You`ll know this . . . I thought I`d shortcircuit the learning process and use more o` my left hand . . . and alter the arrangement a wee bit . . .Now, it might not have been one o` my better ideas. But I really don`t like black notes. The vid screams along a bit faster than the audio. Fun isn`t it? Supposed to be a serious piece o` music . . .ha ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fIynGmH98Y

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 06:40 PM

Teodor - Very impressive. You capture the dark side o` Chopin excellently. Now, I don`t like most o` his music. My dad did. But when he played it (CDs) I kept out o` his way . . . !

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 06:45 PM

Keystring - It`s Chopin night tonight! Happy days . . .Nicely done. Barry Manilow did a lot of Chopin based songs. Well, two at least . .

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 06:51 PM

Ya play that well young lady! Bach is a safe bet . . I have a sister called Ellie; she carved her name on the piano . ..

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 07:41 PM

Wouter: That's interesting about your preference of the slower version. About the last chord of m. 3 - there's controversy about it, with people divided whether Chopin wanted Cm or C major.

ElleC: Thanks. That's as far as I can bring it. There are still technical things I need to learn solve so I'm stopping here. It's like Teodor said.

peterws: thanks. smile

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Teodor

Well it's easy you open up Windows Movie Maker (if you use a Windows PC you have it). You download a picture in a convenient location on your PC and then just drag it into the movie maker program. You then add the mp3 as audio line below it and adjust the duration of the picture to as much as the audio lasts (assuming you want it to last through the whole audio track).

Thx. I saw something on Youtube about "Windows Movie Maker" and they were saying to download. You're saying I already have it? If true - cool! I'm trying to get away from Boxnet because I have to pay a monthly fee which I'd rather not do.

Quote:

I was trying to slow down. I played through it a few times and I noticed I was rushing it. It is marked Lento after all, which is just a general direction to play slowly.

I liked the weightiness of it in your playing. If you're just starting with it before studying it, this already sounds good.

We talked about the tempo. Some of the earlier pianists seem to play it faster than it's done nowadays, and if it is a funeral march, just how slow can the pall bearers march? I was of two minds about the speed. Is really slow "lento", or have we moved to grave?

Are you able to do the heavy chords without tensing up? I'm still learning how to do that, which is one reason for stopping now.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 09:47 PM

ElleC: Only three months, you progress like a rocket.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 09:52 PM

Teodor: very nice progress.
Keystring: The prelude in Cm is very nice.
peterws: Your playing of Schubert Impromptu is very nice. Seeing your fingers flying over the keyboard is interesting.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 09:57 PM

Thanks Weiyan. Though I never played any musical instrument as a child, I can probably attribute my progress from being able to somewhat read notes. I was in a choir in hs and college so i guess you can say that it helped.

Originally Posted By: Weiyan
ElleC: Only three months, you progress like a rocket.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 10:12 PM

JimF: Thank you for the advice.

Newman: Adventure inside the keyboard. If I concentrate to one style may progress faster.
Posted by: stumbler

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/05/13 11:52 PM

April piano bar is going gang busters. I only made it part way through Apr 1 so far.

Starr Keys - Nice arrangement. At times your singing makes me think of Jill Barber.

wouter79 - Couperin - love the ornaments.
I find a lot of French baroque a bit scary as there is no way I can play so many fast trills so close together. Hat off to you.

slpianoproject - Mendelssohn - solid performance. I'm not familiar enough with a lot of Mendelssohn to comment on the tempo, but if you play it a little fast, it does not sound too fast to me.

ladypayne - very inventive. I like both, but Winnie the Pooh is my favourite.

casinitaly - Handle's Impertinence - nice phrasing and dynamics

Saranoya - burgmuller - pretty good work

BillM - Whiter Shade of Pale - as always great work
(I'm happy with the Church Organ)

Newman - Michelle - love your Beatles

SwissMS - Bacarolle - this one is new to me. I like it, and your new piano too!

Amaruk - Misty Mountains Cold - once again above and beyond in video production, and well played as always.

Mark - Sunrise on the Harbor - sounds 20th cebtury, who is it by?

Riddler - Love Ballade - I wouldn't have guessed this was by Oscar Peterson. Your playing is very calm and sweet.

Elssa - Memory - Nice tribute to Gwen.

Newman - Michelle (instr) - That works too.

I finally reached petersw's comment "Slow down guys!" on April 1.
Time for a break. I'm looking forward to the rest of this week's submissions.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 04:37 AM

Are you able to do the heavy chords without tensing up? I'm still learning how to do that, which is one reason for stopping now.

As soon as your hands are on the keys and you have produced the sound you have time to relax your hands, you should work on that definitely. I only have tension in 2 of the chords and it's because my hand doesn't span comfortably for them. The second chord of measure 2 in particular is not comfortable at all. I can reach a 10th if there is nothing in between but here there is. an A flat and a D flat. It was even more difficult when I first tried this etude long ago. Now it's challenging but not difficult to play this chord. But I feel if I keep at it my hands will begin to hurt, I don't want to push it. Overall I am a lot more relaxed than before but still not enough.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 04:55 AM

Teodor -your Chopin was certainly dramatic! I wonder if you will play it differently in the future? I'm impressed you can do it so well so quickly! (Not that it is very important, but I didn't see any picutre in your video.?)

Keystring - it was very interesting to hear a second version of the same prelude so soon after hearing Teodor's. I liked the nuance of expressions in your second version - sometimes I hear furious grief, sometimes heartbreak.

ElleC --- your Bach was charming. Beautifully played!!

Petersw: I really enjoyed your Schumann Impromptu! I especially liked the dramatic part at about the 2 minute point, and the shift in sound at about 3 minutes. Something for me to aspire to!

As for your comment on my Schumann Melody...thanks very much! I'll try to oblige with more Schumann soon...I've just started learning a new one smile (First Loss)

SwissMS - thank you - This is a simple Schumann piece in many ways, but getting it to sound soft and pretty and smooth was a challenge.

Weiyan - thank you for noticing the balance in my Handel piece - It was a labour of love - this type of music is so much fun!

Stumbler - thank you! I've been really working at phrasing and dynamics - glad it shows!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 05:08 AM

Teodor -your Chopin was certainly dramatic! I wonder if you will play it differently in the future? I'm impressed you can do it so well so quickly! (Not that it is very important, but I didn't see any picutre in your video.?)

Thank you.

I couldn't make a video, I wanted to get the best sound possible instead. There is no good spot for my phone to shoot a video. And the picture is just the sheet music which appears in the very beginning.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 05:34 AM

As soon as your hands are on the keys and you have produced the sound you have time to relax your hands, you should work on that definitely. I only have tension in 2 of the chords and it's because my hand doesn't span comfortably for them. The second chord of measure 2 in particular is not comfortable at all.

Yes, I've been working on the "after". (thx) I've isolated the problem to before playing a loud large chord. It's a habit from when I played self-taught 35 years ago. Mind says "Loud coming up - push hard, make hands rigid!" and that reflex is still in there. I started doing piano with my teacher a bit over a year ago, and the act of playing chords had to be changed. "Large and loud" is new. I wonder if span also has an effect. I can barely get a 9th.

For m. 2 beat 2, do you cover the Db & Eb with your thumb? That made it almost an "easy" chord once I learned to do this.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 06:00 AM

For m. 2 beat 2, do you cover the Db & Eb with your thumb? That made it almost an "easy" chord once I learned to do this.

Yes that's how I play it as well. It's easy now after some practice. I can't play it any other way. My hand doesn't reach if I try playing each note with a different finger.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 06:47 AM

Teodor great playing, its a dark piece but it appeals to me. Its almost like late Beethoven!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 07:48 AM

Thank you, I sent it to a friend of mine and he said it made him feel very sad. Which is weird because I don't get a sad feeling when I play it. It's sort of majestic with all those powerful chords. Like a celebration of the darker side of life that is necessary in order to appreciate all the good.

I'd love to one day play some of Beethoven's sonatas. When I am prepared. Beethoven's music is what made me take up piano in the first place

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 08:23 AM

Thank you, I sent it to a friend of mine and he said it made him feel very sad. Which is weird because I don't get a sad feeling when I play it. It's sort of majestic with all those powerful chords. Like a celebration of the darker side of life that is necessary in order to appreciate all the good.

I'd love to one day play some of Beethoven's sonatas. When I am prepared. Beethoven's music is what made me take up piano in the first place

I love dark melancholic pieces like this, I dont find them sad I find them stirring. I always prefer music of a minor or sombre key. I guess that's why I prefer blues to pop music!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 11:01 AM

Uh hello, this is the funeral march, it's deep minor and very slow. If this isn't sad, then what is?

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 11:19 AM

Uh hello, this is the funeral march, it's deep minor and very slow. If this isn't sad, then what is?

I also feel the majesty. I could say that it is the funeral of some great person who is afforded dignity and respect. There is a way of stretching the dotted note and then falling into the 4th beat with a kind of softer emphasis (which I wish I could do) that creates that majesty. And then the whisper in the middle part, first played p, then pp - with the ending rising. It is an amazing piece. So simple, yet not.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 11:58 AM

It's just that I don't really find anything sad in death. It's yet another adventure.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 12:01 PM

This is my very simple and humble orchestration for L.V. Beethoven's Sonata op.10, no.3

I did it for a class assignment. We were given the piano notes for this and were told to rewrite them for strings. Next up is a Mozart sonata. We are only assigned a few bars per piece. Not the whole piece, so this is all I have for this sonata. I apologize for the sound quality, I don't have a real orchestra at my disposal to play it.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 12:15 PM

Bill, I don't remember ever hearing that song before. As I listened, I was enjoying yours singing, but I kept thinking - this is one of those 60s songs that are meant to be sung, they aren't made to be played on an instrument. But your strong ending with the Roland organ proved me wrong! Great job as usual.

Newman, well done. This is one of several songs that I refer to as "my favorite Beatle song". You certainly did it justice!

SwissMS, that was lovely. Your left hand arpeggios are beautifully played. Like that piano, good recording, IMHO.

Ed

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 01:25 PM

sislermi~ Fantastic work on Chopin Etude 10-1! You really have the essence of this and no doubt over time, it'll be even more elegant under your fingers. Simply marvelous!

Weiyan~ Your playing has improved greatly and Bach Minuet in D is a perfect example of the kind of practice you are putting into it.

ElleC~ fabulous and you've been playing for a few months! You have some seriously fine talent and I do hope you have a good teacher to help you refine it to build on great habits. Look forward to hearing more from you!

keystring~ Great pace and dynamics on the Cm prelude. You play it very well, indeed. My copy calls for a slightly different dynamics for the ending, I do like how you played it.

Glen

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 06:14 PM

Peterws - That was interesting to listen to. Not so foreign to me as most classical pieces in fact I could even hear that augmented chord at 0:27 coming.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 07:57 PM

Thank you! That was a very nice compliment. I certainly wouldn't have been able to play at this level that I'm playing now if I was doing this on my own.
Originally Posted By: Inlanding

ElleC~ fabulous and you've been playing for a few months! You have some seriously fine talent and I do hope you have a good teacher to help you refine it to build on great habits. Look forward to hearing more from you!

Glen

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/06/13 11:16 PM

Teodor: The string version of the Beethoven Sonata is very nice.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/07/13 12:21 AM

Okay, here's one of my few longish videos. wink

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/07/13 02:59 AM

Augustina, you even submitted 2 pieces!

philip wesley
clear sound. Good job with a cell phone. good pedaling. Nice even playing. nice work with dynamics.

Just one small thing,
on the main theme (the three times up and down run of the same 8 notes), You play all the notes the same, all legato notes. I think this might get a bit more shaping.

Hungary: Rapsodie Mignonne, Opus 410 by Carl Koelling

Really nice job so far. Looking forward to the rest. I prefer this by a large over the philip wesley, much more variations. but that's just my taste smile

Check your timing at 1:28, sounds like you lost a beat there

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/07/13 07:12 AM

Weiyan - Nice job on the Bach. You had a good balance between the hands, and the ornaments were a nice touch!

ElleC - Excellent job on the Minuet! The second half is a little tricky and you handled it very well. Your progress in three months is amazing.

Teodor - You captured the darkness of this piece well. Great performance for "not having studied it yet"!

Keystring - Another take on the same piece! Your chords were nicely voiced, and I like the dynamics you gave it. I could see the sad processional.

peterws - Very nice Schubert, very well played. Did you create your own arrangement? If so, your did an awesome job! I can see that Gb major wouldn't be the best key for someone who does not like black keys, ha, ha. And, I agree, Horowitz's version of this is wonderful.

Maechre - Very well played. You gave it a nice flow and effective dynamics.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/07/13 10:42 AM

Maechre: Very good. Your playing is fluent.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/07/13 01:10 PM

Finally got to record from my U1. here are the 2 songs I played at my 1st recital 2 weeks ago.

https://soundcloud.com/elle_c/menuet-bwv-anh-115-js-bach

https://soundcloud.com/elle_c/arabesque-burgmuller

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/07/13 05:47 PM

Still playing catch-up. This is proving to be a great month.

Augustina - The Approaching Night - I remember your previous recording of this piece. Good job.
(I didn't find the background noise distracting.)

Teodor - Whole tone scale - I like how it sounds too.

ElleC - Clementi Sonatina Op 36 no 1 - this is a pretty piece, you are already playing quite well. I look forward to when you have it completely mastered.

Codi - Cruella De Vil - that piece gets a nice honly-tonk feel on your piano. I'm impressed in what you've done in only a week.

Maechre - Kingdom Hearts: Traverse Town - good arrangement

ladypayne - Amazing Grace - that is one of the most beautiful hymns.
You played it well leaving lots of room for the singer.

Augustina - Rapsodie - I look forward to the comoplete piece.

Elssa - Take the A Train - they are indeed 2 perfect ending notes.

casinitaly - Melody - well played, good control of tempo

peterws - Sack the Band! well done as usual.
( I see you had to drive on the correct side of the road smile )

Maechre - Kingdom Hearts: Kairi - I like this one even better

sislermi - Chopin Etude Op 10 no 1 - Wow, almost there.

Weiyan - Back Minuet in Dm - two hands now, nice progress. You managed the jumps quite well.

ElleC - Minuet - very fluent, nice tempo.

Teodor - Chopin Prelude in Cm - I always liked the mood of this prelude.

keystring - Chopin Prelude in Cm - they are both good, but I think I like the dynamics of the newer version better

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/07/13 08:09 PM

Maechre Your Kingdom Hears was lovely! Is this from a game? You play very well and you piano sounds great!!

Sisleremi I can tell this was recording attempt number one. It was indeed really awful… NOT. Wow! your fingers are from another world!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Weiyan You are our Bach master here now! Loved it!! I can tell that you really enjoy the music too.

Elle C - More Bach! First month of lessons??? Loved it. You play very good! That piece seems quite hard to play. Thanks for sharing!

Teodor That is a great piece and you play it really good. Not studied it yet? As in analyzed or was this sight reading??? Thanks for sharing!!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/07/13 08:18 PM

keystring~ Great pace and dynamics on the Cm prelude. You play it very well, indeed. My copy calls for a slightly different dynamics for the ending, I do like how you played it.

Glen

Thank you, Glen. My copy probably says the same as yours - the pp doesn't crescendo until later, and it finishes strongly per markings in the music. One of the things I'm learning is what following a composer's intentions in a score means. The first recording I listened carefully to was Rubinstein's, and he puts his ritard's differently than written (for example). This dynamic at the ending was suggested by my teacher, and it made sense to me. You have the call-answer phrase thingy. Do you state the theme softly, and then emphasize it at the end? Or do you crescendo early, and then restate it softly? The soft ending seemed more sad - more like a farewell (if it's a funeral march).

(It's my first time at the bar, and I'm still catching up listening to everything - wow, there's a lot of participation! Fantastic.)

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/07/13 08:29 PM

This is my very simple and humble orchestration for L.V. Beethoven's Sonata op.10, no.3

It sounds quite nice. This is something that want to learn eventually. One thing I've wondered about. When you start, do you only learn the range of the instruments, or do you also go into the characteristics of the instrument that might affect how you write. Must it stay in the same key? Or does that kind of thing come later?

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/07/13 09:11 PM

Yes more Bach! Partially because Ana Magdalena's Notebook was my first exposure to Bach's works and it happen to come with a cd. Needless to say, I fell in love with his music. I wanna play everything in that notebook! I've only completed 4 thus far.

Elle C - More Bach! First month of lessons??? Loved it. You play very good! That piece seems quite hard to play. Thanks for sharing!
Posted by: Whizbang

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/08/13 12:24 AM

For reddit's Piano Jam #15, in honor of Women's History month, I prepared May Audferheide's rag "The Thriller!"

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/08/13 01:09 AM

I'm not quite caught up yet, but after listening to the Chopin, I had to record this little gem.

Chopin prelude op 28 no 7 in A major.

https://www.box.com/s/dt8984qr9zaxfit9cix1

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/08/13 04:07 AM

Elle, nice job on the Araesque. Thanks for posting the new version using your new U1! Sounds much, much better than the DP version. Again congrats on your new U1!

Still have issues with Soundcloud.... Got it to work only with safari.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/08/13 04:45 AM

Maechre – that was great – flowing and elegant – nice to hear a longer piece! (btw...How is your name pronounced?)

Elle C – your new piano sounds wonderful – and your Arabesque was sparkling!

Whizbang – that was a blast! I liked all of it, but got a particular kick out of the big stretch chords in the last minute. What great fun!

Stumbler, thanks for your feedback on my Melody! Your Chopin prelude is charming – delicate and wistful.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/08/13 08:22 AM

It sounds quite nice. This is something that want to learn eventually. One thing I've wondered about. When you start, do you only learn the range of the instruments, or do you also go into the characteristics of the instrument that might affect how you write. Must it stay in the same key? Or does that kind of thing come later?

Classical pieces orchestration has many limitations. You cannot change tempo, cannot create new rhythmic variations or models and you can't change key and transpose parts.

You can learn the range of the instruments, that's not difficult, you don't really need to remember it, you can get a quick reference anytime online, eventually you will know them. You will need basic knowledge of writing notes on different clefs, it's just 2 clefs for piano but violas use a different clef and that changes the position of the notes.

Then you get yourself one of those note editing programs such as finale or Sibelius and you start writing. The good thing is those programs have playback ability so you will be able to hear how it sounds and change things all the time until it pleases you. Also Sibelius highlights notes that are out of the range of the instrument in red, so it will tell you if you are wrong there. http://www.noteflight.com is a free alternative that is used only online and without installation.

I have just entered an intro class into orchestration, so I am not really deeply involved with it and my knowledge is very limited.

If you look at the piano score and see my score you will notice that I took notes from the chords and placed them in different instruments. I gave the contrabass the lowest harmony notes, then I gave the cello those above. I gave the melody to the violins and the violas are playing a supportive role most of the time in this case as they keep the harmony too. I changed nothing and simply redistributed the sounds.

You can also double some of the notes in octaves if it fits the mood of the piece. The most important thing is to choose instruments according to the mood of the piece and in some sonatas it's quite obvious what Beethoven imagined when he wrote them in terms of orchestra instruments but in other cases it's not so and it's up to you to make sure the general air about the piece stays the same.

You don't have to have all the instruments play at the same time either. Have them all play at the same time at important moments such as cadenzas but also have passages when for example only the violins are playing with occasional pizzicato from the cello or so on. The variations are infinite and it's up to you. It's more interesting then I tell it if you are into this sort of thing. And it's easy to start.

Teodor That is a great piece and you play it really good. Not studied it yet? As in analyzed or was this sight reading??? Thanks for sharing!!

I picked it up for a few days in September last year. I was only at the point when I could go through it without making mistakes. I had one lesson on it only with my teacher then I forgot all about it till a few days ago when I found it. To my surprise I was able to play it better than before and with no mistakes. My hands just knew where to go, especially the left hand, it just went up and down those octaves and I was pleasantly surprised, I didn't even look once to see what's going on down there at the keyboard.

But now I recorded it and when I listen to it I cringe at some spots there are many things that I wish to do better. I am not following the dynamics plan, the piano and pianissimo are softer but not really sounding too different from my forte. Sometimes I notice I partially arpeggiate chords (as in, my fingers don't press the keys simultaneously and there is a part a second delay between notes of the same chords, I did not mean to do that)

Overall there is no concrete musical idea, no real direction most of the time. And this can all be avoided and put together with some studying and analysis, which I have not yet done.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/08/13 09:07 AM

Teodor, thank you very much for that information! It all makes sense - including deciding which instruments to choose, when to double parts and such. I guess here you are using your inner ear and understanding of the music to make good choices, so it's not just a matter of plucking the notes out of a chord that match the range of an instrument. What you write places limitations which are a special challenge. Thank you for the info. on Sibelius. Does this have the same handicap as Finale, where the introductory version doesn't allow you to do much, but the complete version costs a huge gob of money? (I don't know if Finale does the same thing).

I was wondering about the ability to change keys, because I studied violin for a number of years, and sharps signatures are often easier. Now I have my answer. In fact, I played your opening measures.

Overall there is no concrete musical idea, no real direction most of the time. And this can all be avoided and put together with some studying and analysis, which I have not yet done.

I would love to hear what you do with it after study and analysis. smile

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/08/13 09:16 AM

Thank you very much, everyone!

Amaruk: Yes, this is from a game. smile

casinitaly: My name's pronounced the same as "Maker".

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/08/13 10:24 AM

casinitaly: My name's pronounced the same as "Maker".

Thanks - I like to get people's names right, even if I am just reading them.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/08/13 10:33 AM

Whizbang - Very lively performance. It was wonderful!

Wouter and casinitaly - thank you. Enjoying the U1 very much smile

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/08/13 11:41 AM

Whizbang - I love the ragtime! You really voiced this well and kept it hopping. It sounded like a lot of fun! Great job.

Stumbler - I love that little prelude. You gave it time to breathe and let it gently flow in a wistful way. Very nice playing!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/08/13 04:10 PM

Teodor, thank you very much for that information! It all makes sense - including deciding which instruments to choose, when to double parts and such. I guess here you are using your inner ear and understanding of the music to make good choices, so it's not just a matter of plucking the notes out of a chord that match the range of an instrument. What you write places limitations which are a special challenge. Thank you for the info. on Sibelius. Does this have the same handicap as Finale, where the introductory version doesn't allow you to do much, but the complete version costs a huge gob of money? (I don't know if Finale does the same thing).

I was wondering about the ability to change keys, because I studied violin for a number of years, and sharps signatures are often easier. Now I have my answer. In fact, I played your opening measures.

Well, you will have to understand what is comfortable and possible for the violins. I didn't think of that. It could be tricky. But in this case it should be comfortable.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/09/13 03:50 AM

Whizbang and Maechre - Good work.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/09/13 06:44 AM

Teodor Beethoven is a blast. there`s so much you can do with orchestration, too much for me to attempt at my age. His Bi Polar aspects always need particular attention which means volume nearly silent, then deafening. You`ll have fun doing this; I look forward to seeing the finished product! Well done man!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/09/13 06:51 AM

Maechre Fantastic reading and playing! Well done; this does not look simple. Rattling through all that without pause or mistakes? The next time I do that will be the first! You`re well under way . . .

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/09/13 06:57 AM

Elle Great music on your new piano . . loved te Burgmuller one (2nd) so well and fluent. If I might say, break it down into sections and don`t be afraid to slow things down in between. . . fingerwork`s super!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/09/13 07:06 AM

Whizbang -There sure is some talent here this month . .that rag was not tattered . . good exercise for the fingers! Have fun . . . .What ya gonna play for Men`s History Week?

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/09/13 07:09 AM

stumbler A gentle touch my friend. Just what the Doctor ordered. Relaxed, I lay back and think of . . food!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/09/13 06:50 PM

What ya gonna play for Men`s History Week?

There's no shortage of rags written by men. For instance, right now, I'm working on Cottontail Rag by Joseph La...waitasec! What sort of man's man, especially one from New Jersey, writes a rag named after a cute, fluffy, pink bunny!?

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/09/13 08:01 PM

Whizbang Great job "The Thriller". It makes me think of the golden era of silent movies! Thanks for sharing.

Stumbler As you probably know, this piece is sometimes referred to as "The Hungarian Dancer". It sounded like your fingers danced very nicely and gently over the keys! Well played indeed!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/09/13 09:01 PM

Whizbang: The ragtime is very nice. The dynamic is very good.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/09/13 09:03 PM

This is my second submission for April 2013.

Romance
An Old French Song by P. Tchaikovsky

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/10/13 06:00 AM

Maechre Fantastic reading and playing! Well done; this does not look simple. Rattling through all that without pause or mistakes? The next time I do that will be the first! You`re well under way . . .

Thank you! I played this for my Uni recital last year (didn't do as well, but I passed!). I practised this many times before bringing out the camera, and then recorded it several times before I got a take I was almost happy with . . . and then I still had to edit out a mistake! wink

But I think I'm just starting to get somewhere with my reading. I'm working at it!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/10/13 11:21 AM

weiyan - Unmistakedly French, from a hymn tune I imagine. hundreds o` years old.

You and your ole Joanna . .
are sounding in a goodly manner!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/10/13 05:25 PM

Weiyan, you say that's P. Tchaikovsky, and I believe you - but the music sounds much older than his time period. There is a real medieval tone to it. Very nice!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/10/13 09:19 PM

Weiyan, you say that's P. Tchaikovsky, and I believe you - but the music sounds much older than his time period. There is a real medieval tone to it. Very nice!

The song is a course material of Jaak Sikk's online classical piano course. Let me ask Jaak about the author and age of this nice piece.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/11/13 01:56 AM

peterws - Schubert Impromptu 3 - You play this well, but the mismatch between the sound and video drives me crazy. Reminds me of a concert of Alfred Brendel playing Beethoven, our seats were so high up that the sound and sight were out of sync. Wouldn't have been bad except there was a lot of fast notes. Looked like the sound was created by him lifting his hands rather than by lowering them.

Teodor - Sonata op 10 no 3 orchestration
Interesting work but I find the synthetic strings detract considerably.

Maechre - Kingdom Hearts: Simple and Clean (Hikari)
It is still a good duration for the piano bar. Well done.
Also you handle the page turns quite well.

ElleC - Minuet BWV 115 - Congrats on the new piano. I enjoyed the minuet. I noticed the ornaments in particular were nice and clean.
- Arabesque - Burgmuller - This one is new to me. Again well played. It sounds like you are having no problem adjusting to your new piano.

Whizbang - The Thriller - more rags please !

Weiyan - Romance - you are picking up pieces fast

casinitaly, swissMS, peterws - thank you for your compliments.
Thanks, Amaruk, BTW I didn't know this one had a name.
Posted by: Polyphonist

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/11/13 02:02 AM

The song is a course material of Jaak Sikk's online classical piano course. Let me ask Jaak about the author and age of this nice piece.

It is the sixteenth piece (not "song") from Tchaikovsky's "Children's Album", Op. 39, composed in 1878. A score can be found here: http://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/1/15/IMSLP154641-WIMA.fd00-Tschaikowsky-rom.pdf

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/11/13 10:46 AM

I don't know how the course works but there are some things that are not the same as the score. Tchaykovski didn't write some of those rhythmic patterns that you play. It sound very different. Also this is music from the romantic period, it needs more pedalling.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/11/13 01:42 PM

The Tchaikovski "Album for the Young" pieces (Weiyan's Romance is one of them) are supposedly for children, and so for students. I got involved in an event on another site that featured another piece from the Album and my teacher talked about them. They look simple because they're in easy keys and don't cover a large range on the piano, but to make them sound good you need a lot of skills that a student won't have yet. Either that, or they were written for the kind of student they had in the old days that had a teacher every day of the week and practised for hours under close supervision. (If you read Czerny's "letters to a student" you'll get the idea.) Nowadays these pieces get assigned as grade 2/3/4 pieces and get played in an elementary way. When I was looking for ideas for my piece, I found one professional pianist called "Cubus" who did justice to it. I.e. it took a seasoned professional. Some "student piece"!

Second thought is about (us) students who are developing. Different teachers have different ideas. One is to move from easier to harder pieces, and learn skills along the way. One other idea is to focus on separate skills one at a time, because of the idea that we can only hold on to one new thing at any time. The one I know is to get the right notes with relatively easy motion, then worry about relative note value (two quarter notes fit into a half note), then tempo with even beat, then if you have that much control, play with rubato, dynamics etc. Pedal is in there too. So even if a piece calls for all kinds of fine effects, the teacher may want the student to be working at one of those points or levels I mentioned. As students we might practice in layers, along those same lines, adding to the piece as each one gets mastered, up to what skills we've reached.

These are the thoughts floating around in my head while listening to Weiyan playing the Tchaikovsky Romance.

I followed with the score. The right notes are there, I think, and generally an even pulse and note values. There are some tricky spots, and it's not a super-easy piece. There are a couple of slips in note value which may be the rhythmic thing that Teodor has mentioned: especially the G in the bass coming in beat 2 of m. 2, 4 etc. - it's early. But this is also a tricky spot if you're learning, because the G is being held across the measure for 3 beats when the music is in 2/4 time and that is probably why W comes in early. If I were playing this piece and I had reached my level, my teacher would say "Good. Put it away now. Come back to it later in 6 months when you have mastered more things, and then develop it further." At that point I'd discover what used to be hard is now easy, and I can do more.

Also this is music from the romantic period, it needs more pedalling.

Undoubtedly - yes. But ... pedal is a skill, and I'm told it is a poorly taught skill. If I had learned it, then I'd go for it, maybe after getting a handle on the notes (which Weiyan has), maybe with a teacher's input on where to pedal. If I had not learned pedal, maybe I'd learn it in easier music, and then come back to it. I agree that it would sound better with pedal. In fact, part of this piece is the fact that from m. 17 - 20 you suddenly have a contrast with the staccato in the LH, contrasting with the legato RH, and suddenly in m. 21 we're back to pedal and the highlight of the piece.

An advanced pianist could do things like bring out phrasing in the RH, make the LH much softer than the RH, add rubato and subtle effects. But we are not advanced pianists, most of us.

Weiyan, all in all a good job. smile I'd love to hear what you do with it a year from now. (I have a number of pieces "on hold for the future" - the one I presented in this forum was on hold for two years!)

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/11/13 04:24 PM

An advanced pianist could do things like bring out phrasing in the RH, make the LH much softer than the RH, add rubato and subtle effects. But we are not advanced pianists, most of us.

Weiyan, all in all a good job. smile I'd love to hear what you do with it a year from now. (I have a number of pieces "on hold for the future" - the one I presented in this forum was on hold for two years!)

I guess so, to me this piece doesn't even contain notes to read it's simple. But I do love to play it as well. I also play the Sick Doll and the Doll's Burial from this album and they are both great pieces. When I get tired of sucking at debussy, I go back to those just to prove to myself that I can still actually play piano decently laugh

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/11/13 05:43 PM

...there are some things that are not the same as the score. Tchaykovski didn't write some of those rhythmic patterns that you play. It sound very different.

The pianist playing distorts the rhythmic values.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/11/13 08:59 PM

Maechre~~ Kingdom Hearts is a very pretty arrangement. I like how you delivered it.

Whizbang~~ Very sweet is May Audfefheide's Rag and you play this one superbly.

Stumbler~~ There's a lot going on with Chopin's A-Maj prelude. You bring out many of the subtleties really well. From what I can observe, Chopin continues to mature under one's fingers like a fine wine. This one's a keeper!

Here's a quick tune -

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/11/13 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

The pianist playing ... distorts the rhythmic values.

This is the ABF, not the Pianist forum featuring experienced advanced students and pianists, probably mostly trained. Those of us participating here are in the process of learning. Would it make a difference if you wrote "the student" instead of "the pianist" - and maybe, if you are a teacher, if you advised rather than using words like "distort"?

I don't know how familiar you are with people starting music as adults. One of the biggest problems is wanting to do things perfectly. Teachers go to great pains to say that learning to play and perfection do not go together, that every weakness is a chance for growth, and that it is expected. If we are lucky enough to have lessons, then what we present will not be "performances", but what we are able to reach, and from there we go further. You don't expect from a student what you expect from a performer. This is a place where we learn to play in front of our peers, where it is safe to do so, for encouragement and maybe some advice here and there. It's my first time participating, but I imagine that what we're looking for is how everyone grows over time.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/11/13 11:35 PM

I don't know how the course works but there are some things that are not the same as the score. Tchaykovski didn't write some of those rhythmic patterns that you play. It sound very different. Also this is music from the romantic period, it needs more pedalling.

I played it without paddle. There is a paddle note G, I use pinky to hold it. The rest use finger legato. There is syncopation in bar 2, 4 and etc. There are some notes missed the tempo grin . May be the off tempo distorted the rhythmic pattern, which I didn't notice.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/11/13 11:41 PM

Inlanding: Another nice improvisation. Is this your first try, or have some experiment to reach this piece?

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/11/13 11:49 PM

Inlanding -- delightful! You make it look so easy.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/12/13 12:29 AM

Examined to the video and played it again. The off-tempo of Bar 2, 4 may not necessary break the rhythmic pattern. Instead, the strong LH pulse of beat 2 over emphasized the syncopation feel.

keystrin: Thank you. I even didn't aware the difficulty you mentioned. For a beginner, the difficult comes from the last two bar: both LH and RH jumps with two notes per hand. The second difficulty is the leap in arpeggio-staccato section.

This is my second video of this piece. First video is LH only, posted last month. The LH is very hard, beat 1 of bar 2,4 only played semi-quaver. Practice with paddle may hind faults in finger control. I think this is the purpose of the instructor not let std use paddle.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/12/13 12:38 AM

Weiyan -- keep it up. You are making great progress and I think in a few years you will really appreciate being able to go back and view all your videos and see exactly how far you've come. I'm inspired by your continuing participation in the piano bar.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/12/13 04:26 AM

Inlanding Great, funky stuff! If ever I was to consider buying an acoustic piano, at great expense, the blame would be entirely yours . . . !

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/12/13 04:45 AM

This is the ABF...

...what we present will not be "performances", but what we are able to [achieve at the point in time we post], and from there we go further. ...This is a place where we learn to play in front of our peers, where it is safe to do so, for encouragement and maybe some advice here and there. It's my first time participating, but I imagine that what we're looking for is how everyone grows over time.

Hear, Hear. For example, I contribute to the forum because doing so makes me think in a focussed way about the song I am performing and how I play it. It makes me want to do better than just noodling around on the piano. Hints and tips are welcomed.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/12/13 06:26 AM

I would reckon the most polished of performers see fault in their work which can always be improved. I was reluctant to join this forum because I have been playing semi pro for a number of years. At the bottom end of that scale so to speak. But the blurb advises all are welcome. Dammit, would I go over to the pianist`s forum? Strewth! I`d fall out big time wi that lot . . they`re only interested in pianos, not playing `em, it seems. It`s the other way round here, as it should be imo. Fight the good fight!

People here have the capacity for rapid improvement. I just seek improvement which wouldn`t happen without you guys or the recordings which I now do. These highlight everything, I should`ve done this years ago . . . .

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/12/13 06:37 AM

Here`s an update on one I made earlier. Drums guitar and bass added, (organ deducted) ha ha - can`t hear `em without headphones on . . . It is great fun playing other instruments. The ones on my piano won`t be top end, but I`m happy with em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiiNZOjVy4k

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/12/13 03:49 PM

I played it without paddle. There is a paddle note G...

Hmmm...

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/12/13 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

The pianist playing ... distorts the rhythmic values.

This is the ABF, not the Pianist forum featuring experienced advanced students and pianists, probably mostly trained. Those of us participating here are in the process of learning. Would it make a difference if you wrote "the student" instead of "the pianist" - and maybe, if you are a teacher, if you advised rather than using words like "distort"?

I don't know how familiar you are with people starting music as adults. One of the biggest problems is wanting to do things perfectly. Teachers go to great pains to say that learning to play and perfection do not go together, that every weakness is a chance for growth, and that it is expected. If we are lucky enough to have lessons, then what we present will not be "performances", but what we are able to reach, and from there we go further. You don't expect from a student what you expect from a performer. This is a place where we learn to play in front of our peers, where it is safe to do so, for encouragement and maybe some advice here and there. It's my first time participating, but I imagine that what we're looking for is how everyone grows over time.

Apologies to anyone who was offended by my overly harsh comment: I have edited it. smile
Posted by: JimF

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/12/13 04:44 PM

Weiyan,

I really liked your Romance. One only has to go back a few months to compare your videos and see how much progress you are making. Keep it up.
Posted by: mattroilanh_tt

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/13/13 04:39 AM

My first contribution here. Spanish Romance easy version (arrange by GALYA). Sheet music here: http://www.freesheetpianomusic.com/content/2_easy_level/PDF/Spanish%20Romance.pdf

Hope to receive comment from all of you so that I can improve ^^

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/13/13 07:51 AM

mattroilanh_tt Well played! No mistakes, nice sounding piano you have there, too. The flow of the piece will come with time, make no mistake; you have the concentration to play accurately. Which is more than I have ..! Welcome aboard, Shipmate!(Jolly Tar Division)

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/13/13 10:39 AM

mattroilanh_tt: Good! Welcome. The rhythm is stable. This piece inspired many young man to play guitar. Now you inspired people to play piano! You could try softer touch. Waiting for the second paragraph.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/13/13 11:28 AM

Thanks peterws & Weiyan for your nice comments smile

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/13/13 11:40 AM

mattroilanh_tt, what I liked especially besides the clean playing was the relaxed movement in your wrists and hands. I'm not a piano teacher but I imagine that this has to be a very good starting point to grow from. This is something that I'm chasing after starting the wrong way once upon a time.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/13/13 12:07 PM

Inlanding - Icy Patch - that's a fun piece, this piano bar is really jump'n now.

peterws - Sack the Band! wi drums - works with drums too, though I liked the organ on your previous version.

mattroilanh_tt - Spanish Romance - I hadn't heard this on piano before. Nice steady rhythm. Would love to hear it again when you've added a bit more expression.
(For some reason the first section this reminded me of a Tom Waits song. The lyrics "send me off to be forever more" popped into my head. Is it just me, or is there some resemblance to "Tango Till They're Sore" ?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjLBWJutzEI

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/13/13 12:32 PM

Thank you, Weiyan, ElleC, Peter, and Stumbler for your kind words on short improvisation, Icy Patch.

Thanks for sharing your RH practice session, Weiyan. Good to see you working so diligently.

mattroilanh_tt~~ First, welcome to the piano bar! You are certainly playing the notes very well with your Romance piece. Keep listening to others who play it to help you develop a sense of dynamics and mood the piece can evoke. It is beautiful and you play quite nicely. Look forward to hearing it again after it matures under your fingers.

Glen

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/13/13 02:17 PM

It's snowy in some parts, even this late in the season - Here's Snowy Day

Glen

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/13/13 03:25 PM

Inlanding - Snowy day. Nice and mellow.
But I have a practice to start. I had best go back and listen to your previous submission to get my edge back.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/13/13 06:12 PM

Here's a quick tune -

Very catchy, very lyrical, very original.

You have an impressive facility for zipping up and down the keyboard at a good clip, your hands seemingly stress-free.

I gotta practice.

Ed

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/13/13 06:40 PM

Inlanding – Icy Patch. Good work. Seemed to capture, what, the twenties? But so short. And Snowy Day - those fingers were flying. Oh, how I wish. I had a go at the intro to Factory ( Springsteen) last night but it's still beyond me.
Weiyan – Romance - keep at it
mattroilanh_tt – Welcome!
Peterws - IMHO was better without the drums.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/13/13 08:02 PM

I haven't posted a Scottish fiddle tune lately.
Here is one I arranged and recorded last year, but haven't shared yet.

Miss Stewart of Allanbank's Strathspey from William Shepherd's 1st Collection

https://www.box.com/s/9m19jmgkajmhqhe7k2dg

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/14/13 03:42 AM

Glen - Icey Patch – what a lovely jaunty piece, a real toe-tapper, full of energy and good cheer! Snowy Day was also most enjoyable – a little more laid back, but not a “lazying by the fire” sound – more like….”snowball fight”!

Weiyan, your second recording sounds more relaxed, nice balance with the LH and RH playing staccato and legato! I agree with Jim, having seen many of your videos for about a year now, your progress is very clear. You are playing a lot of different types of music too, which keeps the level of challenge high!

Peterws – I will have to get out the headphones and get back to you! I like this piece –and the video was fun to watch again ! (strewth….I can’t think of the when I last “heard” anyone say that. !)

Mattroilanh tt: Your Spanish Romance was very nicely played. Accurate with the notes, even tempo – you’ve started off very well on your piano journey!

Stumbler – what a charming piece! I have never heard it before, so can’t compare your arrangement to anything else- but I liked yours. You made it sound easy – but careful listening shows the different voices and ornaments which in fact are not all that easy to pull together so smoothly!
Posted by: jotur

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/14/13 03:46 AM

stumbler thumb I always enjoy your strathspeys when I catch them smile

Cathy

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/14/13 04:15 AM

Inlanding A jazzman in the making! You`re there already, mate. Lovely, smooth, dexterous. More! Gimmee more . . . (love the chords.)

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/14/13 07:18 AM

Inlanding: Another improvisation. Its a warm snowy day. Awesome.

Thank your all encourage and give advice to me. I had go through online resources and books, finally find out a sure way to improve: keeping post two or more videos each month. grin

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/14/13 03:34 PM

Thanks casinitaly, Cathy. I find strathspeys very satisfying. They usually have such strong melody and their slower tempo leaves them within my skill range.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/15/13 09:42 AM

My second submission ^^ I am self-learning so all your critical comments are very helpful for me ^^

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/15/13 10:07 AM

mattroilanh_tt - Greensleeves - very well played. I think I hear more expression than your previous post. Cute video effects too.
Posted by: earlofmar

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/15/13 04:02 PM

nice

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/18/13 12:08 PM

I keep returning to re-listen to everyone's music, it is all so fantastic to me. This is my favorite thread. I didn't practice much before I found this forum, because I never played for anyone, just myself to pass time. Sharing on this thread inspires me to practice and try harder! Thank you for all the feedback on 'Cruella', and it is true, I play it with a different feeling each time because it's fun!

I tried to put together another video, but had problems recording the digital through audacity. Wish I was more tech savvy! I'd like to make a slide show video some day with Movie Maker. I enjoy the vids of more than just piano hands, with scenery and pets and things outside (although the piano hands videos are still very nice too!).

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/18/13 03:31 PM

If I can manage Audacity, you should have no bother. Have you tried using your piano headphone output into the Audacity? You can play straight onto it or record then play that.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/18/13 05:08 PM

Yes that is how I was doing it (the piano headphone jack into the computer's microphone jack). But it played through as if there was 1 or 2 second delay, so I couldn't listen to myself as I played because the delay got me all mixed up. I'm sure it is just something that I am doing wrong. A setting box that needs checked or something. I may try recording it on the piano, and then transferring that as a file to the laptop with the USB. If you have an idea of what I might be doing wrong, please share or send me a pm. I would appreciate any help with that!
Posted by: Allard

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/18/13 05:23 PM

Gah, I really can't keep up with the piano bar lately. I wanted to submit something every month. Listening to the other entries would be nice too...

My first encounter with Einaudi:

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/19/13 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Allard
Gah, I really can't keep up with the piano bar lately. I wanted to submit something every month. Listening to the other entries would be nice too...

My first encounter with Einaudi:

Yes, this month seems to have seen a lot more activity than usual.

That's a really moody piece. Crossing hands is something I have yet to try.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/19/13 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: mattroilanh_tt
My second submission ^^ I am self-learning so all your critical comments are very helpful for me ^^

Keep it up. I am self learning too.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/19/13 04:00 AM

Codi, the headphone jack on the piano will be stereo; the microphone input will be mono. You need to connect to the "line in" on the computer instead. This may be a stereo jack or phono plugs of which there will be two. So you`ll need a splitter with the appropriate ends. I have a 4 or 5metre cable from the computer "line in" to my piano headphone socket. There is a splitter there too, so I can listen through the headphones to what`s being recorded.

Keep on trying man! good luck

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/19/13 04:43 AM

All the way from the beginning. There's too much to comment on, but let's make a start.

Starr Keys: this kind of music is very fitting for a piano bar! Your voice goes well with the music. It reminds me of the 60s, which is way before my time, but you hear it in movies sometimes.

Wouter79: all those ornamentations sound pretty hard to play. You got them well under your fingers.

Slpianoproject: getting ahead, huh? Nice teaser for the upcoming themed recital.

Ladypayne: your Winnie the Pooh makes me happy smile

Casinitaly: it would not let me listen to your piece.

Saranoya: your Burgmüller and your new piano sound great!

BillM: beautiful! I think your singing may deserve better recording equipment.

Newman: so short, but I'm sure Michelle got the message! I prefer the instrumental version. You could do both; open with an instrumental verse, then sing from the next.

SwissMS: this is excellent background music, thank you.

Amaruk: love your music and your videos. This one does not disappoint.

Mark...: sounds pretty simply, looks simply pretty. Nice submission.

Riddler: I'd lean more toward Schubert than Bach, but what do I know!

Elssa: sorry to hear about your cat. She looks beautiful in that picture. I imagine her laying on top of your piano while you play, then lazily reaching forward to help with the ending.

Augustina: the noise isn't too distracting. These modern phones seem to pick up mostly the main sound, close by, anyway.

Teodor: this was barely audible.

ElleC: the name on the box file is confusing! Good job on this Clementi piece. This really is a lot better than nursery rhymes, isn't it?

Codi: this piano sounds... different, but it goes well with this type of music. Don't need any pp here.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/19/13 05:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Codi
Yes that is how I was doing it (the piano headphone jack into the computer's microphone jack). But it played through as if there was 1 or 2 second delay, so I couldn't listen to myself as I played because the delay got me all mixed up. I'm sure it is just something that I am doing wrong. A setting box that needs checked or something. I may try recording it on the piano, and then transferring that as a file to the laptop with the USB. If you have an idea of what I might be doing wrong, please share or send me a pm. I would appreciate any help with that!

If you connect the headphone jack into the computer's jack, you can not hear the voice from the piano, the voice you hear from your computer will be delay because of the bad sound card. You should try to use line-out jack on your piano.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/19/13 05:50 AM

You could get a cheap splitter so that output from the headphone jack goes to both the computer and your headphones. Alternatively, record on the piano (with headphones on), then if you like the recording, connect the headphone jack to the computer, press play and wait patiently. Line-out to the computer would be best, but some keyboards don't have it (like the Yamaha P95). Using midi-out or transferring midi files isn't recommended unless you have an awesome software piano on your computer.
Posted by: Lost Woods

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/19/13 07:10 AM

Here's a quick tune -

I like this, a lot!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/19/13 08:24 AM

Thanks all for the helpful tips! I'll be able to try them out tonight and will see what happens laugh

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/19/13 05:43 PM

mattroilanh_tt An assuredly played piece. Sounds good to me, man! Keep `em coming. There`s no hesitation in this one; well done!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/19/13 05:48 PM

Allard Was that you on both videos? Sounds dark and foreboding; an omen of doom . . . but for whom??

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/19/13 10:49 PM

Allard - Einaudi Oribits - nice submission. I really like the segue from the digital to the acoustic.

p.s. I have difficulty keeping up with the paino bar too.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 12:29 AM

I saw coverage of the chase and capture of the terrorists of Boston this morning and was thinking about the poor people of Boston - to whom I would like to dedicate this version of Neil Finn's "Gentle Hum"

Gentle Hum

"My wishes for you
An end to your sorrow
And if it comes true
You'll wake up tomorrow
To a gentle hum"

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 02:17 AM

lovely, what a great voice you have

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: stumbler
I haven't posted a Scottish fiddle tune lately.
Here is one I arranged and recorded last year, but haven't shared yet.

Miss Stewart of Allanbank's Strathspey from William Shepherd's 1st Collection

https://www.box.com/s/9m19jmgkajmhqhe7k2dg

Nice! Works surprisingly well on a DP

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Newman
Neil Finn's "Gentle Hum"

Gentle Hum

"My wishes for you
An end to your sorrow
And if it comes true
You'll wake up tomorrow
To a gentle hum"

Well done, your voice nicely matches with the piano sound.

Did you play and sing all at once?

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 03:39 AM

Newman

Unique blend o` Lennon-McCartney. You`re an ole romantic at heart. Great song. Wish I`d wrote it meself . .. .the ending was enigmatic.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 03:49 AM

stumbler
Those trills have got to me . . . they`re Scottish through and through. . . Deep and delicious; like a woman`s hair blowing about in the wind; Love the piano; great recording.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 09:23 AM

Newman - still getting to know people here...didn't know you can sing and play the piano too! You have very nice voice. I wish I can play the piano at that level and be able to sing along. That was a very sweet and thoughtful tribute. Well done.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 10:08 AM

Neil Finn's "Gentle Hum"

Did you play and sing all at once?

yes

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 10:12 AM

Newman

Unique blend o` Lennon-McCartney. You`re an ole romantic at heart. Great song. Wish I`d wrote it meself . .. .the ending was enigmatic.

Yes, Neil Finn can be very Lennon-McCartney (probably why I like him). And yes, wish I'd written it too (or perhaps Don't Dream It's over, for the royalties. Ans yes, probably am an old romantic ... for me it's about melody.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 10:50 AM

Newman - Gentle Hum - nice piece. Your piano accompaniment matches the mood of the song very well.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 10:58 AM

My third submission for this bar ^^

Can anyone recommend some pieces at my level? It takes me about 3 days to practice a piece like that, I think it is too simple to contribute to this bar frown I need some pieces not too advanced, but take me about 1 week to finish it. I am at Lone Star Waltz of Afred' Basic Adult Lv 1. Thank you ^^

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 11:28 AM

mattroilanh_tt - memories - this is not too simple for the piano bar. I enjoyed your playing.

I'm not qualified to suggest other pieces. But perhaps one of the others who has been through some of the Alfred's series will be able to suggest something.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 12:47 PM

couple of quick pieces I've been working on

Sincerity
https://soundcloud.com/elle_c/sincerity-burgmuller

Musette
https://soundcloud.com/elle_c/musette-bwv-anh-126-js-bach

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 05:00 PM

ElleC. I just noticed you've only been playing since January. Excellent work! Do you read as well?

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 05:08 PM

ElleC
Simplicity - nice playing, your phrasing matches the rhythm well.

Mussette - good progress on this, especially in the second half---that part where the right hand seems to go in an unexpected direction (bar13 for example) always tries to throw me, but you handle it well.
I wonder if your score matches mine. Mine has separate repeats for the two parts---play part A twice, then part B twice, then part A again.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 07:12 PM

I didn't have experience with piano but I was in a choir in hs and college so I think having that sense of rhythm and sort of being able to read notes (i'm not really that good at sight reading...though its gotten better since I started playing piano) helped a lot with my progress.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 09:54 PM

@ ElleC: You play very well. Started at the same time with me but you are far better than me ^^ The phrasing and dynamics are very clear ^^

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/20/13 10:10 PM

@ ElleC: You play very well. Started at the same time with me but you are far better than me ^^ The phrasing and dynamics are very clear ^^

I have my teacher to thank for that! If i don't have her criticisms and guidance, I think I'd be playing differently. I just try to follow her directions the best I can.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/21/13 05:50 AM

mattroilanh_tt

Played with accuracy and confidence. A good beginning is essential, and you have it - Onwards and upwards!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/21/13 05:58 AM

ElleC
You`re not short of flamboyance in your style. I like that . . . I also remember the Burgmuller pieces like they were yesterday . . . something from my teacher must`ve sunk in . . grin

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/21/13 10:59 AM

Can anyone recommend some pieces at my level? ^^

I like your musical ability. I can't say I know what I'm talking about. Canon in D has caught my interest. A masterpiece. Many different variations on it with piano. Some of these are lower level and some higher. I admit. There is only one piano variation I like. I think you have the musical ability to play this the way it is intended to be played.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/21/13 11:44 AM

Can you send me the sheet of the version you like. Thank you ^^

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/21/13 12:29 PM

A new recording. I haven't played this piece in such a long time. As usual the red dot got the better of me. I couldn't concentrate much. Please watch in high quality not in 360p, the sound is bad otherwise.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/21/13 12:38 PM

Can you send me the sheet of the version you like. Thank you ^^

I don't have the sheet on it yet. This is an opportunity to possibly find out from others which one this is? Might be common? I will...just a matter of time...I will...obsess over this.
I'll post a youtube. This is not me.

EDIT: You should listen also to the original. With violins. It is stunningly beautiful.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/21/13 12:59 PM

A new recording. I haven't played this piece in such a long time. As usual the red dot got the better of me. I couldn't concentrate much. Please watch in high quality not in 360p, the sound is bad

Beautiful performance Teodor and nice piano. You seemed relax in front of red dot. smile

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/21/13 02:02 PM

Teodor - thanks, that was really nice.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/21/13 02:29 PM

Teodor

Excellent, man! Plenty o` atmosphere in that one and good harmonies et al . . . .well done you! Your piano and the room seem well suited.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/21/13 02:32 PM

mattroilanh_tt Pachelbel's Canon
There are a couple keyboard transcriptions available on IMSLP, but I am unsure of the difficuly level.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Canon_and_Gigue_in_D_major_%28Pachelbel,_Johann%29

look on the Arrangements and Transcriptions tab in the sheet music section.

-- edit --

In retrospect both have challenges. I'm not sure how useful this will be for you.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/21/13 02:33 PM

rnaple

This song is soooo way ahead of it`s time. By hundreds of years. It`s the basis for many popular music formats; one could imagine Rihanna singing it in some form or other . .

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/21/13 09:20 PM

Teodor - wonderful piece, inspirational to a poor old learner like me.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/21/13 09:35 PM

Teodor: Beautiful performance! Even I've heard this piece many time, I still find that your performance is very emotional, bring pleasant atmosphere...

Recoding could be better, I think.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/22/13 12:52 AM

Teodor....That was really nice.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/23/13 12:34 AM

mattroilanh: The greenleeves is very good. The Timing is very stable. The memory is well played. Do you play with pre-arranged music sheet? I would suggest you try to re-arrange it. For example, alter the left hand pattern, add fills and runs.
Allard: Tne Einaudi piece is very nice.
ElleC: The Burgmuller etude is very smooth. Musette is very nice.
Teodor: The Final Fantasy X is very nice.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/23/13 12:45 AM

This is my another submission for April:

Morning from Music for Children,
S. Prolofiev

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/23/13 04:04 AM

Teodor: To Zanarkand remains a favourite smile Do you play by ear? It sounds like the OST version, but you add your own ending flourish and don't go into the repeat (which deftly evades the hard part, hehe). I'd play it a bit slower so you can get a steadier tempo.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/23/13 04:28 AM

mattroilanh: The greenleeves is very good. The Timing is very stable. The memory is well played. Do you play with pre-arranged music sheet? I would suggest you try to re-arrange it. For example, alter the left hand pattern, add fills and runs.

Actually, I have never re-arranged the music sheet before. Maybe, it is above my current ability. I have to use pre-arranged sheet by someone else. I may re-arrange and/or play more difficult version when my music theory and piano technique improve ^^

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/23/13 05:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Allard
Teodor: To Zanarkand remains a favourite smile Do you play by ear? It sounds like the OST version, but you add your own ending flourish and don't go into the repeat (which deftly evades the hard part, hehe). I'd play it a bit slower so you can get a steadier tempo.

The tempo changes too much but that's just the way I felt it. I would play it differently each time I try depending on the mood. Sometimes I can't get into this piece at all other times it moves me a lot. This time I was somewhere in the middle between not caring and, "I have to record this on the grand piano"

I used the sheet music I have, it doesn't have a hard part. I know the version you talk about and I don't have the time to master that one. It would take months and it's not worth the time right now because I have to play a ton of other things which are not modern music, so this has no relation at all.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/23/13 06:46 AM

Teodor, I enjoyed the musicality of your playing. For selfish reasons my attention was caught by how you were playing. I remember some years ago you got off to a bad start, with injury to your hands that stopped you playing for a number of months. Here I see fluid, well coordinated movements. I'm at the beginning of that journey and still working a lot of things out with my teacher. At the time, did you work specifically on such things with your teacher? I remember you got a new one after those problems. It was a pleasure watching you, in addition to hearing.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/23/13 01:29 PM

Thank you for all the nice comments, I didn't expect so many. Thank you!!!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/24/13 04:51 AM

Always a pleasure to hear you play Teodor

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/24/13 10:55 AM

Weiyan - Morning - you are accumulating quite a repertoire.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/24/13 11:15 AM

Always a pleasure to hear you play Teodor

Thank you!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/24/13 11:46 AM

S. Prolofiev

Weiyan, I'm curious about your piano. Do you leave it exposed for recording?

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/24/13 02:22 PM

Weiyan D`ya manage to play this from memory? I see no music; I see no music stand . . .

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/24/13 06:43 PM

Weiyan D`ya manage to play this from memory? I see no music; I see no music stand . . .

Yes, he does it all from memory - pretty impressive.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/24/13 11:44 PM

S. Prolofiev

Weiyan, I'm curious about your piano. Do you leave it exposed for recording?

If possible, I like to practice without cover. Its more sensitive touch. The only reason to cover the piano is for the music stand. So when I remember the music and ready for recording, then practice without cover. Grand piano always play without cover.
Posted by: TheodorN

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/25/13 10:42 PM

Just popping in before the month spins to a close, to comment on the latest submissions. Unfortunately only going back to the last three and probably won't get an opportunity to do more listening, but keep up the good work folks.

Inlanding/Glenn, so much fun listening to your improvisation (Icy patch, if you've been serving more than one "drink" in this month's bar.) This is one kind of music I'd like to learn to play.

Teodor, beautiful playing.

Weiyan, impressive how you play your pieces from memory. Although it probably doesn't make any difference for the playing whether the piano is closed or open, I for one feel a piano looks a bit naked without the overbuild.

If I had the luxury to have the real thing (which I unfortunately don't and my circumstances don't allow it at the moment), I'd keep it closed. One thing I like about pianos is that, in addition to the beautiful sound they make, they also serve as pretty furniture.
Posted by: EdwardianPiano

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/25/13 11:35 PM

Teodor that was lovely. I have been so busy lately and regret I had not been keeping up with the posts and this thread. I shall make sure I follow the next piano bar as it is so nice to listen to everyone's playing.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/25/13 11:38 PM

I had been hoping to put this piece in the March Piano bar, but as Saranoya just submitted it a short while ago, I thought I'd join in April's thread.
My version didn't have the trills written in, therefore I studied it without trills. That's how I recorded it. (I'll probably work on adding in the trills later, but it will take some training!)

I'd been having some difficulty getting recorded - and even just playing through without errors.... finally realized (with the help of others) that at least part of the problem was trying to speed up after having practised at a slower tempo.
So... I did a few takes, and though one was probably better in terms of no-flubs, this one has better dynamics and the flubs are not horrifying smile

https://www.box.com/s/3asnxdooytlm44q2rfob

Well played casinitaly- didn't hear any flubs.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/25/13 11:45 PM

Newman

Yes, Neil Finn can be very Lennon-McCartney (probably why I like him). And yes, wish I'd written it too (or perhaps Don't Dream It's over, for the royalties. Ans yes, probably am an old romantic ... for me it's about melody.

Really like your voice and playing- better than most of today's recording "artists" in the pop charts!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/26/13 12:08 AM

Here's my contribution to the piano bar!

My teacher (that I don't take lessons with anymore... not enough time) would have alot to say about this performance. He always says I take too much liberty from the sheet music. I don't know how to explain it well in english but lets say I just play more the way i feel than what's really written on the paper if that's more clear. Usually when I want to learn a new piece, I listen to different performances to get a feel for the piece. Then I take what I like the best from what i've heard and try to come up with a performance that is right to my ears. Long story short, most of the times when I show him my work he goes like : Great! You play with alot of .....(insert positive feedback here)...... and ............, I like how you ............ but as usual you take the sheet music with too little consideration!

In this performance you'll notice from start that the tempo might be a little fast. There is actually quite a debate on the net, from what I've seen, on the tempo to use to play this piece. Personally, I'm obviously on the fast side since I think you lose the flow when this piece is played too slow. On top of that I try to avoid using too much rubato and big changes in dynamics as I feel it kills the mood of the piece. Feel free to tell me what you think about it!

Finally, I kinda feel bad posting this since i read 3 days ago that the Mendelssohn themed recital is actually in 2 weeks and not in May anymore but the work was all done already...

P.S : Sorry for the errors i've been on a tight deadline for this one. Should have worked on it more before posting but my piano was freshly tuned! The theme that goes through bar 2 to 4 and repeats at the end sounds so gorgeous on a tuned piano! Had to do it... did my best!

Ohhh lovely! I LOVE this Mendelssohn piece- it has very special meaning to me. I thought it was called the Venetian boat song tho and have been trying to find it online for ages.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/26/13 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Saranoya
Originally Posted By: Starr Keys

You do. But I bet you could be fabulous if you found a song that stays within your natural range. And I envy you the ability to sing and play piano at the same time.

A little uneven on the timing, but I love your ornamentation!

Let's say I just play more the way I feel than what's really written on the paper.

I'm the same way! My teacher usually comments on it too, and while she tries to correct me sometimes, other times she just 'goes with the flow', or even compliments me on the choices I make in terms of interpretation.

By the way, I don't know what the score actually says, but I really, really like your interpretation of this. And you've just convinced me that one of these 'songs without words', at least, needs to go on my '50 things to play' list.

Thank you so much for sharing, even if it's 'early'.

Originally Posted By: ladypayne
I did something a little different this time. I recorded some songs off YouTube and then put it together with my piano music.

Different, but interesting. Were you listening to these songs as you recorded your piano part? If not, I'm impressed. If so, still pretty darn good wink.

Heh. Thanks for that! Indeed, no trills. And no (or almost no) legato! I actually had a rather lengthy discussion with my teacher about whether I could do legato in a piece that was written in Händel's time. She seemed convinced that if Händel had had access to a modern piano, he would have written it the way I played it. But I actually quite like your version, and I'm pretty sure it's more historically accurate.

It's not up to tempo (not by a long shot - the metronome marking on the score says 144 BPM to a quarter note), and uneven in places, but it's the first take I did, so it represents my current level of competence with this piece pretty accurately -- at least, when I'm not horrendously nervous.

Lovely music and playing! Not heard this piece before- is it Handel? I see you are a fan of Sigur Ros too like me!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/26/13 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano

Really like your voice and playing- better than most of today's recording "artists" in the pop charts!

Thank you for the kind words.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/26/13 07:16 PM

You're welcome Newman! I look forward to more of your recordings on piano bar.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/26/13 07:36 PM

TheodorN and Lost Woods - thank you for your acknowledgement and I am glad you enjoyed the little improvisation, Icy Patch.

Weiyan ~ your playing improves every month. I'd like to hear your Prokofiev again as it matures under your fingers. As for the tuning, your unisons are much cleaner than in previous submissions. Your ear-hand coordination gets better and better. No doubt playing your piano with cleaner unisons helps you express yourself better. I always look forward to your submissions.

Teodor ~ nice use of the sustain pedal. Never heard of Final Fantasy, but your playing is sensitive and thoughtful. Your touch on the keyboard is much improved since you started submitting on PW. Keep up the good work - it's paying off!

slpianoproject ~ fine Mendelssohn, indeed! I've listened to your submission many times. Not only is the piece very melodic, you bring it out so very well. Beautiful...

Newman ~ your motivation to play Gentle Hum is compelling. As always, your delivery is very polished. The accompaniment to your voice sounds like it's become more second-nature and it's allowing you to project your message more effectively. Thank you for your music!

Lots of really good music this month and it's great to see so many new folks joining in the fun - thank you, all!

Glen
Posted by: TheodorN

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/26/13 10:20 PM

Newman, also listened to your submission, Gentle Hum. Very good, singing and playing. I'm sure it helps a lot to sing along with your playing, because the singing is a kind of a substitute for a metronome and a very preferable substitute. It helps with keeping rhythm, at least if we know the song well.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/27/13 08:23 AM

Glen: Thank you. I usually improved after recording! The Prokfiev is better now. But I am working on new pieces no plan to re-record this piece yet. When my technique getting better, I will re-record some pieces played.

Have a nice weekend!
Weiyan
Posted by: dynamobt

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/27/13 04:00 PM

Here is my submission. I'm still struggling with tempo issues in the various section. First recording effort was a funeral march in tempo. Man, I didn't think I was taking it that slowly. This attempt is better. But, still not where I want it to be eventully. Hearing myself play has been eye-opening!!

Chopin's Grande Waltz Brilliante in A minor Op 34 no 2

To access this shared file, visit this link:
https://www.box.com/s/8lk4ch725ixvc9xr7ub3

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/28/13 10:14 AM

dynamob: This is not an easy piece. After 2 min is better. Keep on the good work.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/28/13 10:34 AM

dynamobt - you've made a great start at this piece.
I've dabbled with it in the past but never got it up to you current level. Nice playing.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/30/13 07:52 AM

thanks, all.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/30/13 06:16 PM

dynamobt - great sounding piece well done
Posted by: dynamobt

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 04/30/13 06:39 PM

Thank you for the comments. I've since realized that even this tempo I take is too slow. I listened to some real pianists play the waltz. They take it much faster. My piano teacher today sprung it on me that I will be playing it in the student evaluations this Saturday. Instructors throughout the state switch around going to other sites to evaluate students who are not their students. I'm playing the Chopin Waltz in a minor and the Bach D minor Invention. I thought I was going to play the A flat Major Chopin Nocturne. Guess not!!!

I appreciate the nice comments and encouragement.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 05/01/13 12:38 AM

This one's more about the vocals, but it has piano so I figured, what the hey?

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 05/01/13 01:49 AM

Very nice Maechre you have a beautiful voice. But as a Scot I am duty bound to say the Annie Lennox (born in beautiful Aberdeen) version just pips you.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 05/01/13 05:12 AM

Thanks, Earldog. wink

Haha, I think I should have listened to her version a lot more before covering it, as I didn't follow a lot of the melody, leaving it a bit stale IMO. Something to watch for next time!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 05/01/13 09:09 AM

Nice vocals Maechre....quite flexible too, I can totally hear you sing pop or broadway tunes. Gj with the piano and sight reading. You're a very talented young man. Well done!

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 05/01/13 09:29 AM

Thank you! I'm just reading chords and lyrics. smile But you're right, there is a good bit of theatre influence in my voice as I've done several shows over the years. I'd really like to get back into it after studying. Or sooner.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 05/01/13 11:06 AM

Maechre - What a treat! Another vocalist in the piano bar.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 05/01/13 11:53 AM

Thank you, stumbler. smile

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 05/02/13 04:21 AM

Maechre - good work. There was something about your voice made me check your location ... and my response "I thought so - Australian". smile

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 05/02/13 09:49 AM

Hehe, it's never an easy pick. In fact, I find almost every singer seems to be an American at first glance (hear?), unless they're going to lengths to sing in their own accent.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 05/03/13 02:41 AM

Maechre: Your piano skill is very good, but your voice is far better. I like the warm tone in the video. Is this sun set or your special lighting?

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 05/03/13 03:09 AM

Hehe, it's never an easy pick. In fact, I find almost every singer seems to be an American at first glance (hear?), unless they're going to lengths to sing in their own accent.

Yes. Almost everyone sings 'mid atlantic' but there was something in Maechre's voice that gave it away.

Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) - 05/03/13 04:40 AM

Thank you! I used a lamp to light the room, as I think it looks far better than natural daylight and incandescant/fluorescent light bulbs. smile