Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything

Posted by: ElleC

Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/28/13 03:46 PM

For those thoughts musical or not. Things you want to share but don't necessarily need a thread for....because we all have one or few of those a day wink

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/28/13 03:52 PM

So since I started my piano journey, I've been listening to classical piano music a lot but have only been exposed to Bach, Chopin, Beethoven and Burgmuller. I really want to see a good pianist perform live so I was looking at ticketmaster and this guy Christopher O'riley comes up and looks like he's performing in New York City in May performing variations of Liszt. I don't know anything about O'riley and I don't know anything about Liszt's music. Honestly don't know what to expect but I am excited!
Posted by: Polyphonist

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/28/13 04:00 PM

On the 12th of May in the Highline Ballroom on 16th Street?

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/28/13 04:03 PM

Yes that's it!
Posted by: Peyton

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/28/13 05:00 PM

Elle...Monday evenings on PBS, "From The Top". Christopher O'Riley hosts the show and it's an hour of young musicians. He is an excellent classical pianist and , among other thngs, did a whole series of his own transcriptions of Radiohead pieces that were just amazing.

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/28/13 07:23 PM

Awesome! Thanks for that info. Now I'm even more excited to watch/hear him play!
Posted by: TrapperJohn

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/28/13 08:26 PM

Mozart! Listen to Mozart.

Everything by Mozart...piano music, concertos, symphonies, seranades, operas, chamber music...everything. Mozart is the main course...everyone and everything else are just side dishes...Mozart was sent to Earth by the music gods to teach people how to know and love great music.

Mozart! Listen to Mozart.
Posted by: sinophilia

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/29/13 04:30 AM

Get some piano solo recordings by Martha Argerich... especially Schumann, Ravel, Debussy. And also concertos, like Beethoven and Prokofiev. Some will not agree, but when I listen to her I tell myself, this is how piano music should sound like.
Posted by: Boira

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/29/13 11:51 AM

Random musical thought of the day: Why do I keep buying music sheets when I positively know that I won't have time to learn them in 10 lives?
Posted by: keystring

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/29/13 12:17 PM

Why would the thought even occur to me when running into this clip that the way this guy moves can teach something about playing the piano, and on the heels of that, it's time to go out and buy a watermelon.
The watermelon guy
Posted by: Charles Cohen

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/29/13 12:20 PM

For the same reason I now have both volumes of "Piano Classics", and "The Standards Real Book" (fifty years of pop/jazz lead sheets) and all 3 of Tim Richards' blues and jazz books.

That's a lifetime of music playing and learning, and I'm not young enough to master it.

But one can dream . . . .<g>

. Charles
Posted by: Polyphonist

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/29/13 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: keystring
Why would the thought even occur to me when running into this clip that the way this guy moves can teach something about playing the piano, and on the heels of that, it's time to go out and buy a watermelon.
The watermelon guy

He's a master! I'm surprised he didn't slice his hand off somewhere along the line...
Posted by: UK Paul UK

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/29/13 03:11 PM

He cuts watermellon like i play scales... :-)
Posted by: tangleweeds

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/29/13 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Boira
Random musical thought of the day: Why do I keep buying music sheets when I positively know that I won't have time to learn them in 10 lives?

For all the music I buy that's at my current level, I rationalize that I'll be able to use it for sight reading practice when I get better.

For music above my level: if civilization collapses, at least I'll still have sheet music to grow into. Not sure what I'll be plugging my DP into though... wink
Posted by: Codi

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/29/13 03:54 PM

Boira: I am always looking for the answer to that question as well! I remember when I had to go to the music store, over an hour drive, to look for sheet music. There was never much to choose from, and the books were so pricey. Now just log into music notes or whichever site you like and buy nearly any sheets you could ever want! Somebody stop me I'm out of control!

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/29/13 06:16 PM

The week I got my DP and before I started taking lessons, I purchased several sheet music from musicnotes. I have yet to play any of them though I'm hoping one day I'd be good enough to do so.
Posted by: Andy Platt

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/30/13 07:29 AM

If you are going to buy a ton of music way above your level, make sure it's crazy hard so you can just casually have it propped open on your piano should visitors pop by. "Yeah, I'm toying with La Campanella but it's not quite speaking to me yet ..."

Hmm, perhaps not.

I keep picking up way more than I can ever use on Freecycle. At least I'm not paying for it!

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/30/13 07:05 PM

I'm getting my piano tuned for the first time (a "free" tuning that was included with my purchase). Is there an etiquette as far as giving (or not giving) the piano tech a gratuity? and how about if I'm paying for the tuning myself...do I have to give an additional $ for gratuity?
Posted by: earlofmar

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/30/13 08:14 PM

Ah........ the American gratuity debate, I find this whole subject so confusing as a European/Australian visitor. Ask him where his last holiday was, if it was New Jersey he needs the tip, if it were Hawaii, the he probably doesn't need it. If it was overseas holiday ask how hard it is to become a piano tuner, I am looking for a new career.
Posted by: Michael_99

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 04/30/13 10:48 PM

ElleC, I have read your post, here:

I'm getting my piano tuned for the first time (a "free" tuning that was included with my purchase). Is there an etiquette as far as giving (or not giving) the piano tech a gratuity? and how about if I'm paying for the tuning myself...do I have to give an additional $ for gratuity?

When the sales person heard of a private sale of an awesome piano, I gave the salesperson a finder's fee. I called the salesperson for the name of a good tuner. The salesperson said, no, no, I am paying for the tuner for your piano because you were ...whatever she said.

I tried to give the tuner a tip because he really was awesome and did a great job, fussed over checking everything like nuts and bolts, screws were tight. He said no, but for a cup of coffee, if you insist. So, of course, I will see him for the annual tuning, budget permitting. I have never ever paid a finder's fee in my life, and am not big on tipping except waiters, etc., but I realized how awesome it was to find the piano and nothing less than tip/finder's fee was appropriate under the circumstances.

Oh, ElleC, on your closing comment ----> Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.

I respectfully disagree. Discovering the love of playing the piano at 63, now 64, knowing that playing the piano is the greatest joy in my lifetime, and I have had a humble but awesome life. The ability to play the piano at any level, is the greatest priceless gift except for living life itself.

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/07/13 09:13 AM

My piano is getting tuned for the first time today. I wonder if my inexperienced ears will be able to tell the difference.
Posted by: Allard

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/07/13 09:55 AM

If you can't hear the difference, your piano probably doesn't need a tuning :p. But I'm sure you'll notice and love it!
Posted by: SwissMS

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/07/13 10:25 AM

My new piano gets tuned for the first time tomorrow. I can't wait! It is definitely moody over its move from Germany to Switzerland. Hopefully a fresh tuning will make it happy!

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/07/13 11:54 AM

SwissMs what kind of piano did you get?

----------

the piano tech the dealer sent to service my piano happens to be a neighbor who lives 3 floors above my unit. How funny! And convenient smile
Posted by: SwissMS

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/07/13 12:06 PM

It is a Bechstein grand, 160. I love it!

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/07/13 12:12 PM

Wow!! Some day when I have a bigger place...I will get me one of those babies. I heard Bechsteins are wonderful pianos. Good for you!

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/07/13 06:00 PM

I noticed at yesterday's piano lesson how badly the piano needed a tune (perhaps a match is more what it needs).
Posted by: dynamobt

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/07/13 06:57 PM

My piano teacher said the dreaded "M" word today. "Memorize". I made it clear to her when I started with her last year, that I have been horribly unsuccessful at memorizing music. It's almost like I'm missing some component of my memory. It's not simply difficult. I can memorize passages only to be unable to recall them even 20 minutes later. If I can't get the notes to stick in my short term memory, there's no hope of the notes making it to my long term memory!!! Oh well.

I'm going to try and memorize the Chopin Waltz in a minor Op 34 no 2. I know to some extent that I need not "try" but "do". My history of unsuccessful memorization does not have me encouraged. I'm not getting any younger either. My memory in general is not strong.

Anyway, I have a plan. I will try to do this. But, even if I am able to play by memory in a lesson, I'm not sure I would trust myself in a performance given the additional anxiety I will feel. Performance date i June 1st memorized or not. I don't "HAVE" to have the piece memorized. I'm already in a bit of a funk over this. I do seem to work myself up over the most stupid stuff. Just rambling at this point.

Carry on.

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/07/13 07:27 PM

dynamobt, you are definitely not alone in your memorization quandry. I am worried how I will get on when I start longer pieces for my memory seems just as bad.

Years ago I started one of those memory courses, I guess it is common knowledge now that they are based on visual memorization techniques but back then it was a bit of a mystery. Anyway I was shocked how good you can recall things using internal visual cues. I will be investigating this further to see how it can be adapted to learning longer pieces but for now you might be interested in reading the following blog.

http://memorisingmusic.com/

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/07/13 07:36 PM

I should of course have also checked the PW Forum first regards memorisation. There is plenty of previous posts on the subject with some interesting stuff.

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/07/13 07:45 PM

A freshly tuned piano is distracting. I've been trying to write my midterm paper and I find myself taking (lots) of breaks to play with Johann. 15 more pages to go.
Posted by: peterws

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/08/13 06:05 AM

I love googling free music . . .without having to accept all the toolbars and hiccups you get. (Was looking for a "Pink" song; not a chance!)It`s like hunting . . . but without the blood! I like watching ebay auctions when they get down to the wire . . . digital pianos, caravans, they go for stupid prices often. But you can`t watch your own sales . . .

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/08/13 07:05 AM

don't like watching ebay, too much of a chance I might end up with an unwanted caravan
Posted by: MaryBee

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/09/13 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: dynamobt
My piano teacher said the dreaded "M" word today. "Memorize". I made it clear to her when I started with her last year, that I have been horribly unsuccessful at memorizing music. It's almost like I'm missing some component of my memory. It's not simply difficult. I can memorize passages only to be unable to recall them even 20 minutes later. If I can't get the notes to stick in my short term memory, there's no hope of the notes making it to my long term memory!!!
I felt like that too, when I started lessons, having never memorized any music before. I remember the first time my teacher told me to memorize something. At the end of the lesson, he just kind of tossed this out, "Oh, and memorize the first page by next week." I felt like yelling, "What?! That's impossible!" But I did it. All I can say is that, like everything else, it becomes not quite so difficult the more you practice it. I still hardly ever memorize complete pieces, but I'll memorize sections now without even being pushed to do it.

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
If you are going to buy a ton of music way above your level, make sure it's crazy hard so you can just casually have it propped open on your piano should visitors pop by. "Yeah, I'm toying with La Campanella but it's not quite speaking to me yet ..."
Ha ha! My teacher had me listening to some Liszt pieces to see if there were any that piqued my interest. Nothing struck me until I heard "La Campanella". So I looked up the sheet music. Um... never mind.

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/09/13 05:33 PM

I may have the opposite issue. I can memorize rather easily. My problem is trying not to rely so much on memory but actually "read" the music in front of me.

Originally Posted By: MaryBee
Originally Posted By: dynamobt
My piano teacher said the dreaded "M" word today. "Memorize". I made it clear to her when I started with her last year, that I have been horribly unsuccessful at memorizing music. It's almost like I'm missing some component of my memory. It's not simply difficult. I can memorize passages only to be unable to recall them even 20 minutes later. If I can't get the notes to stick in my short term memory, there's no hope of the notes making it to my long term memory!!!
I felt like that too, when I started lessons, having never memorized any music before. I remember the first time my teacher told me to memorize something. At the end of the lesson, he just kind of tossed this out, "Oh, and memorize the first page by next week." I felt like yelling, "What?! That's impossible!" But I did it. All I can say is that, like everything else, it becomes not quite so difficult the more you practice it. I still hardly ever memorize complete pieces, but I'll memorize sections now without even being pushed to do it.
Posted by: dynamobt

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/13/13 08:17 PM

Well amazingly, the memorizing is coming along. I don't know that I feel solid enough in it to do more than play in my lesson because I worry so about my performance anxiety blanking everything out.

Now I'm aware that's it's going to be "interesting" playing from music on the sections I've memorized. I'm going to look likt a nodding fool as I go from looking at the music to looking at my hands!!

Bottom line is that I doubt I will trust myself enough to play the recital memorized. I want performing to be a reasonably enjoyable experience for me. I do this for fun not to create problems for myself.

Still, I'm surprised that I've had some success memorizing. I thought I couldn't do it at all. It's not quite that bad.

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/13/13 08:54 PM

dynamobt, I had a similar experience believing a piece was to hard for me to remember, all those notes it was daunting. I think I have mentioned before I don't have a great memory. I learned early in my work career to have aids for memory. They invented those sticky yellow pads just for me, lol.

Anyway, I did memorize my piece and sounds like you are doing well too. I think it's quite common for people doing recitals to have their music in front of them, even if it's just a security thing.
Posted by: JeanieA

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/13/13 09:14 PM

Just home from my lesson... my brain's tired! More than a few years of formal lessons over my lifetime and none of my teachers every addressed chord theory until now.

I'm fixed up with a fake book, basic chord theory, straightening out sloppy/lazy fingerings (I have small hands and can only reach to 9ths), and am I slow at this!! I have to build the root chord, then work through all the inversions until I figure out the one that puts the melody note on top... diminished, 9ths, augmented... YIKES! Still, I like the sounds I make when I finally figure out the right chords. smile

Memorization? Well, that's not easy either for me. But with practice, things do get lodged in a corner of my head...I've gone from one memorized piece to four over the last six months, a biggie for me. A page in a week? Uh-uh. How's about a bar or two?

Quote:

Because it's there to aspire to! I scored a major Craigslist coup not long ago; a music teacher's library of mostly classical sheets. A trunkful! (Well, OK, it was a small British car trunkful, but still...) For $10! Awesome stuff, some attainable, like the Clementi sonatinas I'm working on, to well... music desk "decoration" (when there's no white space left on the page). And all of her handwritten notes on the sheets is like having a second teacher!

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/15/13 05:53 PM

Reality check. Showed my teacher the Grieg piece I'm planning to submit for the Grieg recital in September. I told her it's supposed to be one of the "easier" pieces and she gave me the most concerned look and said I better start now. At least she didn't completely say I'm nuts. She's concerned that I will have a hard time with the chords and octave jumping etc. guess there's no better time to learn than now.

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/15/13 06:37 PM

It's a good thing ElleC to have something difficult as a goal I sure you would agree. Our problem as beginners is to find the piece that is difficult to satisfy our ambition, but not too difficult that it outstrips out technical ability.

I am mulling over a problem of tackling a very hard piece that will take several months of work. Can I do it, probably, should I do it and not do it justice is the question. I'll get back to you on that one.

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/16/13 01:48 AM

Going to an ultrarunning event for the next four days, although as a volunteer for a change. It is the North Face 100 in the Blue Mountains just outside Sydney.

Obviously I am taking the DP and may leave the hotel now and again to perform my duties. As this week was my six month anniversary of taking up piano I thought I would write down what has happened since starting this endeavor and share it with anyone interested.

https://www.box.com/s/2m0len06lsxnevf8672y

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 05/30/13 10:50 PM

Good Dancers

Nothing piano related but thought I would share a link to a little known song. The video never fails to perk me up and put a smile on my face (must all be maj chords or something)

Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything - 06/01/13 06:30 PM

I hate learning a new piece of music! officially started my lesson today with 3 new ones (grieg, yiruma and burgmuller) It's gonna be a frustrating week of practice for sure. I've been trying the Grieg and Yiruma scores since last week on my own with no real progress. I hope that after receiving feedback from my teacher, that I'll be able to learn it a little bit better (quicker).