Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions

Posted by: AB Forum Recital

Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 04/30/13 10:28 PM

Recital #30 is now open for submissions!

Believe it or not, it’s time for the 30th quarterly “Beginners and Beyond” recital hosted by the Piano World Adult Beginners Forum! smile The recital will be posted some time on the 15th of May, which means that the submissions must be in by 9:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time, May 14. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you. heart

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate, as that works best with the online streaming player. At that bitrate, a 20 MB file works out to be about 7 minutes in length. Your recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent free recording application that can be used.

If you are new to the forum and the recitals, I encourage you to browse through a few of the past recitals to see what they’re like. An easy way to find past recitals is to use Sam S.’s extremely helpful recital index, located here:

AB Forum Recital Index

Submitting Your Recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/

and follow the instructions there. Please note that this URL reflects our new permanent home for all the recital files. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital software, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the new website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, you may want to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it.

The recital website uses the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, what you had for lunch, etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 9:00 pm US EASTERN DAYLIGHT TIME on May 14, 2013.

Did I mention that the 9:00 pm deadline was firm?

Think "consistency of concrete." smokin

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is a recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital order will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should anyone have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, this is the place to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB Forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems. Please ask away! smile

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music! thumb
Posted by: Polyphonist

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 04/30/13 10:32 PM

You're giving a bunch of beginners two weeks to learn a piece and submit it?
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 04/30/13 10:37 PM

Not at all. smile The recitals are held on the 15th of February, May, August, and November. It's a regular schedule, and most of us choose and start preparing our recital pieces long before the submission. (I usually start the day after the previous recital!) The two week period is simply the time allotted for people to upload their recordings.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 04/30/13 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
Not at all. smile The recitals are held on the 15th of February, May, August, and November. It's a regular schedule, and most of us choose and start preparing our recital pieces long before the submission. (I usually start the day after the previous recital!) The two week period is simply the time allotted for people to upload their recordings.

Ah, I see. I thought he had just announced that there would be a recital. smile
Posted by: PianoStudent88

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 04/30/13 10:39 PM

People who have been around the ABF know about the recitals and start preparing well in advance. People who haven't been around and are finding out about the recital for the first time now -- well, if they have something they'd like to share, go for it. And if they don't, they now know about the recitals and can start preparing for the next one.

Since this is the Beginners and Beyond Recital, we are happy to hear whatever people feel comfortable submitting as their recital piece, including very short and/or method book pieces.

There is a recital every 3 months, in February, May, August, and November. Usually the Recital submissions open on the first of the month, close on the 14th of the month and are available for listening on the 15th of the month.
Posted by: jotur

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 04/30/13 11:44 PM

I'm in smile Right after jazzwee. Sheesh - hard act to follow laugh Mine was ready to record early because I missed the last recital. But it's nice to have it done. I'm looking forward to everyone's submissions.

Cathy
Posted by: Saranoya

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 12:07 AM

Wow, that submissions page is quite busy right now! When I started to fill out the form, there was only one participant who had already uploaded his recording. By the time I was done, I was in at number 5 smile.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with this time!
Posted by: BenPiano

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 01:46 AM

crap. I've been in over 10 recitals now, but I'm just not ready for this one. I started an Einaudi piece just a few days ago (Reverie) and am determined to make the deadline in two weeks. Meanwhile, there's no way I'm ready with the other stuff I've worked on. *sigh*

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 02:34 AM

(yea Ben!) smile

Good on ya -

Cathy

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 02:41 AM

Whaa! Someone just submitted the exact same piece I did two slots after me. I am seriously scared right now. Maybe I should cancel my submission and put in something shorter and simpler. But it would either have to be one of the Burgmüllers, which I am guaranteed not to be able to play up to tempo, or my Grieg piece, which I've already promised to submit to the upcoming themed recital.

Help!

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 02:51 AM

There's nothing wrong with duplicates - in this recital it's any piece goes (we're not one of the themed recitals with only one person per piece) so don't worry.

And even if there were, you posted first.

Unless you're worried there'll be comparisons. But no one will. The recitals are about how *you* are playing, not you compared to someone else.

We'll all enjoy your piece smile

Cathy
Posted by: CarlosCC

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 04:46 AM

OK, I'm in. (#9 for now)
I just noticed that my piece has some errors and hesitations, but... this is a Recital, right? smokin

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 05:00 AM

Hmmmm... the name of the Recital changed to Adult Beginners Forum "Beginner and Beyond" Online Recital...
Is that a result of a loooooooong discussion about different skills, degrees, votes, etc? I gave up reading that post...

Sorry, for me is: "ABF Recital" aka "Piano World Recital"

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 05:04 AM

Originally Posted By: jotur
Unless you're worried there'll be comparisons.

Of course there will be comparisons. People will just be too nice to say anything about the fact that one rendition of it is so much better than the other wink. But just because they keep their mouth shut, doesn't mean they're not thinking "oh, really? you call that recital-worthy?"

I was worried all along that I was aiming too high when I took on this piece. I've played it hundreds of times (no exaggeration), and it still isn't anywhere near perfect.

But now it's up there, and I don't really have any other option, short of learning the next 'mission impossible' piece on my list (Chopin, opus 34 n° 2) within the next two weeks. Which I could *maybe* pull off ... if I took two weeks off work and stopped eating, bathing, and generally keeping up appearances that I have a life outside playing the piano.
Posted by: Teodor

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 05:11 AM

My piece is in terrible shape. How do you keep up with something that was beyond your level and you just barely mastered it. It seems to deteriorate so fast when the technique in it is too difficult for you. One day you can play it and after a while if you do not keep going back to the slow tempo it just becomes full or errors when you try to play it at tempo.
Posted by: Sam S

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 05:58 AM

I'm in at number 10. Something completely different for me - a 21st century dance tune!

Sam
Posted by: Andy Platt

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 06:30 AM

Not even in the top ten ... man! wink Oh well, my beauty sleep was necessary so I couldn't stay up and wait.

I'm looking forward to two Moonlight Sonata first movements. Heck, I'm looking forward to it all. Is it May 15th yet?
Posted by: Allard

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Is it May 15th yet?

Hope not, still need to get a good recording in laugh
Posted by: wouter79

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 07:36 AM

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
OK, I'm in. (#9 for now)
I just noticed that my piece has some errors and hesitations, but... this is a Recital, right? smokin

I think there are no error-free submissions. Did anyone ever claim to have a perfect performance? And certainly not in the BEGINNERS forum grin

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 07:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Teodor
How do you keep up with something that was beyond your level and you just barely mastered it. It seems to deteriorate so fast when the technique in it is too difficult for you. One day you can play it and after a while if you do not keep going back to the slow tempo it just becomes full or errors when you try to play it at tempo.

Is detoriation rate related to how difficult the technique is? If it is, is it related to how difficult the technique is for you NOW or how difficult the technique was WHEN LEARNED?

I believe there is something different going on... (but not that that will immediately help you ;-) )

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 08:32 AM

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
Hmmmm... the name of the Recital changed to Adult Beginners Forum "Beginner and Beyond" Online Recital...
Is that a result of a loooooooong discussion about different skills, degrees, votes, etc? I gave up reading that post...

Sorry, for me is: "ABF Recital" aka "Piano World Recital"

Yeah... at some point in the long thread, there had been so much advocating for the "Beginner and Beyond" designation that I made a post calling for any dissension, which stated that unless people started arguing against the name, we'd make the switch. But the recital is still housed in AB forum, so that's why it's phrased the way it is. No doubt we will shortly have a new 8-page thread agonizing over the name.... crazy
Posted by: Teodor

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 10:18 AM

Originally Posted By: wouter79
Originally Posted By: Teodor
How do you keep up with something that was beyond your level and you just barely mastered it. It seems to deteriorate so fast when the technique in it is too difficult for you. One day you can play it and after a while if you do not keep going back to the slow tempo it just becomes full or errors when you try to play it at tempo.

Is detoriation rate related to how difficult the technique is? If it is, is it related to how difficult the technique is for you NOW or how difficult the technique was WHEN LEARNED?

I believe there is something different going on... (but not that that will immediately help you ;-) )

I think it's all in my head mostly.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Saranoya
But just because they keep their mouth shut, doesn't mean they're not thinking "oh, really? you call that recital-worthy?"

laugh Well, even that will be better than the first time I played in one retirement home and the woman sitting next to the piano said, very loudly, "You call that music?!? Why don't you play something we know?" and similar things throughout the time I was playing. I was disconcerted laugh

"See" you in the recital soon smile

Cathy
Posted by: sinophilia

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 01:41 PM

I must resist submitting my recording, hoping that I will get a better one tomorrow... but then I probably won't get a better one, so I might as well submit it now... but I should at least try... or not... eek

laugh

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: sinophilia
I must resist submitting my recording, hoping that I will get a better one tomorrow... but then I probably won't get a better one, so I might as well submit it now... but I should at least try... or not... eek

laugh

Don't forget. You can always update your submission right up until Monica closes them on the night of the 14th. So there's no harm in submitting now. You do move "down" the list if you re-submit (but not if you just update the information).

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 03:31 PM

You're right Andy, but actually the more I listen to this recording the more I hate it... actually I'm starting to hate the arrangement itself! I will give myself and this song a couple more days wink

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 04:32 PM

Yay, all done. A little under two weeks left to get a better recording on YouTube smile
Posted by: dynamobt

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 04:45 PM

Can we play the same piece in the May Quarterly Recital that we submitted in the Piano Bar at an earlier time? Not the same recording, just an improved more polished performance of the same piece.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: dynamobt
Can we play the same piece in the May Quarterly Recital that we submitted in the Piano Bar at an earlier time? Not the same recording, just an improved more polished performance of the same piece.

Certainly. We'd love to hear how you have improved, and I don't keep up with the piano bars, so it will be new to me and lots of others.

Sam

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/13 05:08 PM

Thank you SamS!
Posted by: AimeeO

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 12:13 AM

I'm getting closer with my piece. I create so much tension for myself just from recording. I've just been playing with the recorder on to overcome it, and it's working.
Posted by: xorbe

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 02:48 AM

I can submit a super-beginner recital piece after just ~8 months of on-and-off practice? It's just 1.2 pages, and the whole thing is repeated twice basically. I listened to a lot of the last recital pieces, so I know I'm pretty far down the skill ladder.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 02:53 AM

Yes, please, xorbe! We just had a very long discussion about how there aren't nearly enough 'true beginners' in the ABF recital (which is now called 'beginner and beyond' Recital for exactly that reason).

So please ... be a true beginner brave enough to submit something! We'll be grateful and appreciative if you do.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 02:55 AM

Yes, xorbe - please submit! I'd love to hear it.

Cathy

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 05:31 AM

Well, I submitted, I tried to re-record but I was just messing up more and more!

This recording is really bad, but I'm learning a lot from the recital process. For instance, that slow songs can be much harder than faster ones. So much to work on, and I keep adjusting my practice plan. More and more tempted to get a teacher...
Posted by: earlofmar

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 08:56 AM

Well its done, submitted and as good as it's going to get...............I never want to hear it again, lol.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 10:50 AM

>I never want to hear it again, lol.

That's what I like about this recital too. Everything has been done up to the performance, you collect the feedback and honours, and use that for future pieces, and then it feels good to drop the piece off the list.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 10:56 AM

>I never want to hear it again, lol.

On the contrary... I use to listen my piece tons of times until day 15...
After that, yes, it loses a little bit of "importance", but I never forget what I learned with it.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 11:29 AM

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
I never want to hear it again, lol.

That's exactly how I feel laugh

I really need to move on... probably I will play my piece better after letting it rest for some time, but not right now and certainly not by the 15th!
Posted by: ElleC

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 11:54 AM

Resisting to submit a recital piece until my piano gets tuned next week. And hopefully by next week, I'll have Prelude in Em ready if not, it'll be Bach again either Prelude in C major or Aria (Bist du bei mir). These recitals really make me work harder.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: xorbe
I can submit a super-beginner recital piece after just ~8 months of on-and-off practice? It's just 1.2 pages, and the whole thing is repeated twice basically. I listened to a lot of the last recital pieces, so I know I'm pretty far down the skill ladder.

Please submit! There's a bunch of us! You're not the only one. Just have fun with it smile

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 12:12 PM

It depends, if you're too good, you can't submit grin

(That's a new rule I'd like to implement wink )

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 03:47 PM

Well no wonder I can't make my piece sound like the reference recording I have -- the transcription is wrong! I slowed down the problem spot 5x in Audacity (just 5 quick notes) this morning and said "D'OH!" Now I have to unlearn the incorrect sheet music. Give me a week or two ... I might still squeak in. Transcription called for a two-note trill, but it's like "D-E-D-C-E" instead.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 07:35 PM

Me too! I wanna hear.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 07:47 PM

OMG!! I did it!!!!! I have successfully submitted a piece to my first Quarterly recital!!!!!

I needed a page turner. I fumbled with the pages badly. But, I'm not going to record this another time. Enough already. I'm not Argerich!!!!! Not hardly!!

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: sinophilia

It depends, if you're too good, you can't submit grin

(That's a new rule I'd like to implement wink )

Hey, how about starting a thread that asks if we can't vote people off the recital ... smokin

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 10:26 PM

OMG!! I did it!!!!! I have successfully submitted a piece to my first Quarterly recital!!!!!

I needed a page turner. I fumbled with the pages badly. But, I'm not going to record this another time. Enough already. I'm not Argerich!!!!! Not hardly!!

Congratulations, dynamobt!! yippie And you will find that the REAL fun comes when the recital is posted and everybody starts listening and commenting.

Page turns are hard. Whenever possible, if I don't have the piece memorized, I just xerox the sheet music and spread the pages out across my music desk.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 10:52 PM

Congratulations, dynamobt!! yippie And you will find that the REAL fun comes when the recital is posted and everybody starts listening and commenting.

Page turns are hard. Whenever possible, if I don't have the piece memorized, I just xerox the sheet music and spread the pages out across my music desk.

I'll remember that for next time. Wait till you hear how badly I turn these pages. There is bad and then there is folly!!

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/13 11:04 PM

The best way to deal with page turns? Memorize the music! grin

What to do if the score's too long to fit all the Xeroxed pages on the piano:

Let's assume the score is 10 pages long. Only 5 fit across my piano. So, I tape pages 1-5 together, from left to right, and the same for 6-10. I then put 6-10 on the desk, and tape it so it can't move. 1-5 goes on top of that.

Between pages 5 and 6 is the only turn I'll have to make. When I make that one, I just yank the whole first layer of music off the piano; the second layer is taped so it won't be at risk to come off.

Problem solved! (somewhat grin)
Posted by: SwissMS

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/03/13 11:00 AM

Well, I am in. It is not perfect, but it is OK. There is a good chance I will resubmit next week after my piano is tuned, so everyone will get to move up!
Posted by: AnthonyB

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/03/13 03:46 PM

I've just submitted my first ABF recital piece in AGES. Now that I'm done recording spring can show up any day now... smile

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/03/13 04:43 PM

Yay, Anthony!! Better yet, it's an Einaudi piece!! yippie Good to have you back in the recitals. smile

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/03/13 04:50 PM

yeah, Anthony - long time, no see. You go to all that trouble to meet Monica somewhere for an Einaudi concert and then disappear laugh But I'm looking forward to your piece. You always did such a fine job on Einaudi.

Cathy

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/03/13 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: AnthonyB
I've just submitted my first ABF recital piece in AGES. Now that I'm done recording spring can show up any day now... smile

anthonyb - Discovery at Night (Ludovico Einaudi)
thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb
Posted by: casinitaly

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/04/13 06:41 AM

I'm in. I was disappointed not to be able to use the acoustic, but we have had torrential rain for days on end and even though the tuner was here, the piano has wobbled off centre and sounds too sad. (Tuner will come back but we're waiting for the air to dry out a bit!).

The piece has a few things that are a tad off, but it is pretty representative of what I can do at this point.
Funny thing is that I did it last night, and thought I'd re-try this morning. After several tries this morning, I decided that the one from last night was actually the best take smile That will teach me smile

I'm looking forward to the launch, and delighted to see we've got a round of new comers, as well as some old timers coming back!

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/04/13 03:03 PM

I can' believe it's only been four days and there are 31 submissions already! And there's a really good mix of music types. I will be broadening my musical horizons by listening for sure.(As if they weren't already crazy enough..)

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/04/13 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
I can' believe it's only been four days and there are 31 submissions already! And there's a really good mix of music types. I will be broadening my musical horizons by listening for sure.(As if they weren't already crazy enough..)

I always hear a number of "new to me" pieces during our recitals - it is a real education.
There are a lot of genres I would never otherwise hear - (themes from video games for example - some of which are (to me) surprisingly lovely). I usually end up with a new "Oh! I can't wait to play that" list smile after each recital.
Posted by: Augustina

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/04/13 07:23 PM

okay.. I made mistakes... but this is about as good as the piece is going to get!:)
Posted by: TrapperJohn

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/05/13 08:39 AM

Allard - see you're in with David Lanz's beautiful contemporary instrumental classic "Christofori's Dream" - this has been done here before (most notably by Mr Super Hunky, if I remember correctly) and it's always a delight to hear - eagerly awaiting your interpretation!

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/05/13 09:24 AM

Augustina, you get to move up one. I resubmitted. Again.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/05/13 05:38 PM

Trapperjohn, Mr SH actually mentioned this after the first recital (I think) : you should learn Cristofori's Dream. So I did! It has a few issues, mostly to do with nine memorised pages falling apart under the stress of recording. But we try laugh

I actually have another Lanz piece nearly ready, Dreamer's Waltz. Would like to vary the composers a bit though, so not probably not playing it for th next recital.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/05/13 06:17 PM

Allard, looking forward to Cristofori's dream! I'm learning it myself though I haven't really done much except for the first 2 pages. The other one I want to learn is Lanz' variation of Pachelbel's Canon in D but it's super long and way above my skill level. But some day!

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/05/13 06:26 PM

Ohhh I want to learn that one too! So beautiful, but indeed too difficult. I'm going to wait until I can comfortably read the sheet music while playing. All those variations seem a bit too complex to just memorise. Cristofori's Dream is much simpler in comparison, with the same chord progression throughout. Page two, huh? You may want to skip ahead to page four or five. It gets harder and needs the most attention. The opening and ending are so much easier to play.
Posted by: Augustina

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/05/13 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
Augustina, you get to move up one. I resubmitted. Again.

I was number 21 but decided to submit again to!:)
Posted by: Mr Super-Hunky

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/05/13 10:16 PM

Allard, I do remember playing Cristofori's Dream because I had used a large cardboard moving box to tape three layers of sheet music onto. It looked ridiculous but it worked. There just was too many pages to fit on the music shelf.

Another beautiful piece by David Lanz is London Blue. It is one of my favorites of his.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/06/13 06:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
Allard, I do remember playing Cristofori's Dream because I had used a large cardboard moving box to tape three layers of sheet music onto. It looked ridiculous but it worked. There just was too many pages to fit on the music shelf.

Another beautiful piece by David Lanz is London Blue. It is one of my favorites of his.

I remember your rendition of London Blue Mr S-H. It inspired me to get the music and try it.

Sam

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/06/13 06:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Allard
Trapperjohn, Mr SH actually mentioned this after the first recital (I think) : you should learn Cristofori's Dream. So I did! It has a few issues, mostly to do with nine memorised pages falling apart under the stress of recording. But we try laugh

Nine memorized pages!

I memorize most of the pieces I play, but the longest has only been about 5 pages - not sure I could double that number...

Hunky is right about "London Blue" - he did a wonderful job with this - yet another beautiful piece (actually stunningly so) by Lanz that you might want to consider some time in the future is his gorgeous "Leaves on the Seine" - I recorded a simplified version of this for a recital a few years back and it turned out decently because it was such a huge labor of love for me.

Edited to add that if I recall correctly (always a doubtful thing) I believe Monica might also have entered "Christofori's Dream" in a Recital some time back...but only because she was laboring under the misconception that it was composed by Einauldi laugh But, then again, maybe not...

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/06/13 07:29 AM

I posted the simplified Leaves on the Seine a while back in the piano bar. Learned several of the simplified David Lanz pieces from that book. Wonderful learning experience! I didn't like the simplified London Blue; may look at the 'real' piece sometime. But there is so much to choose from in these books laugh

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/06/13 11:21 AM

Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
Edited to add that if I recall correctly (always a doubtful thing) I believe Monica might also have entered "Christofori's Dream" in a Recital some time back...but only because she was laboring under the misconception that it was composed by Einauldi laugh But, then again, maybe not...

Not as a recital piece, but I did record it (twice, I believe; the second time was a lot better) and posted links somewhere, either on one of the Cristofori's Dream threads or the piano bar. Beautiful piece. I used to have it memorized but not any longer. I should revisit it. smile

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/06/13 03:05 PM

Now uploading my accompanying video to YouTube laugh

Red dot syndrome turns Cristofori's Dream into a Nightmare if you let it.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/06/13 07:08 PM

...I believe Monica might also have entered "Christofori's Dream" in a Recital some time back..

Not as a recital piece, but I did record it (twice, I believe; the second time was a lot better) and posted links somewhere, either on one of the Cristofori's Dream threads...

Ah yes, I remember those threads - great threads, one of which was started by...what's her name...from Japan...memory is shot... help

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/06/13 07:22 PM

Ah yes, I remember those threads - great threads, one of which was started by...what's her name...from Japan...memory is shot... help

ShiroKuro smile

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/07/13 02:36 PM

ShiroKuro smile

Thanks...I would might have thought of that eventually smile

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/08/13 07:13 AM

We're at 38 pieces and a week left before the recital goes live. Everything from Dizzy Gillepsie to Rachmaninoff. Two Beethoven Moonlight Sonatas and lots of Bach, Mozart, and Chopin. And the New Age fans are back in force - 2 Einaudis, a Lanz and a Nevue.

Don't be left out! I predict a flurry of activity this weekend.

Sam
Posted by: MaryBee

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/09/13 12:10 AM

I'm in at #38. Yay! Time to let this one go.

I needed a page turner. I fumbled with the pages badly.
I need one too! You'll hear lots of them (and loudly) in my piece. But how do you find someone to turn pages for you? Who would want to sit through all my recording attempts? Certainly not anyone in my house -- they're all quite tired of hearing this music by now! Also, do you think having someone looking over your shoulder would amplify the effect of the "red dot syndrome"?

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
I was disappointed not to be able to use the acoustic, but we have had torrential rain for days on end and even though the tuner was here, the piano has wobbled off centre and sounds too sad. (Tuner will come back but we're waiting for the air to dry out a bit!).
Do you have a humidity-control device for your piano? My Dampp-Chaser system has been doing an excellent job with keeping my piano in tune.

Funny thing is that I did it last night, and thought I'd re-try this morning. After several tries this morning, I decided that the one from last night was actually the best take smile That will teach me smile
I did the same thing! Sat down and recorded my pieces last Wednesday after my lesson, and got a pretty good take on the second try. Since then, I tried way too many times to get a better recording, but it turns out that one was the best. With how long it is, I just can't spend any more time trying to get a perfect recording. Frustrating!

I usually end up with a new "Oh! I can't wait to play that" list smile after each recital.
I just went through my ever-growing to-learn list yesterday, and many of them are ones that I first heard through these recitals.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/09/13 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: MaryBee
I'm in at #38. Yay! Time to let this one go.

Yipee!!!
Originally Posted By: MaryBee

I was disappointed not to be able to use the acoustic, but we have had torrential rain for days on end and even though the tuner was here, the piano has wobbled off centre and sounds too sad. (Tuner will come back but we're waiting for the air to dry out a bit!).
Do you have a humidity-control device for your piano? My Dampp-Chaser system has been doing an excellent job with keeping my piano in tune.

I don't have one....I'll ask my tuner about it.

(I just did a search on-line and see that the shop I bought my piano from sells them......hmmmmmm) smile

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/09/13 08:31 AM

Well, as expected, I resubmitted again. I had a freshly tuned piano! What else could I do. It still isn't perfect, but it sounds much better than on the digital!

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/09/13 12:58 PM

I uploaded my tiny beginner 1.2 page part as #39.

btw the first post says 20MB @ 192 kbps is 7 minutes ... it's actually 14:33.8!

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/09/13 02:35 PM

I had a freshly tuned piano! What else could I do. It still isn't perfect, but it sounds much better than on the digital!

Yes, any decent acoustic largely preferred here too. Great!

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/09/13 02:50 PM

Great job, xorbe!

I hope to finally finish mine tonight. I definitely have takes that are better that what I turned in at the Mendelssohn recital.

I played it for my teacher, who just returned from maternity leave. She says that all my issues are psychological. I know it, I can play it, there's no technique problems - it's just my insecurities with it. I'm always anticipating a screw up, and of course make it happen. I have at least one of these areas in every piece. Of course, the red dot only amplifies it! grin I think this is the next hump I need to get over. I'm getting better at relaxing, but there's still a long road ahead.
Posted by: Norrec

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/10/13 08:47 AM

Piece submitted. I got spot 40, a nice even number that I can remember.

I was so thrilled when I did this recording that I ended up being a little late to work because I wanted to transfer it to my PC and email it to my family. I've been trying to get a good recording of this piece for a month now and these past few days everything just clicked. Sections that were hard before are easy now, spots where I made a mistake 50% of the time I play fine. I just hope I can stay in this state because I'm playing this live at my teachers recital in June. If I'm going to be 18 years older than all the other participants I have to know I'm going to play at an appropriate level for my seniority.

Now I have to choose a new piece to work on (outside of the lesson book). This is a daunting task because I've got several pieces I want to learn but if it'll probably take me months to get it down. Have to choose wisely.
Posted by: BenPiano

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/10/13 11:52 PM

Most everybody moves up a spot. smile

I managed to find time to record my intended piece, but it happened to be during a play date - the friend invited over was apparently quite vocal in the background.

Oh well.
Posted by: peterws

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/13 01:07 AM

I`m at no 40 now. I pressed the button to hear my upload. NOTHING happened! Hope it`s OK . . . .I`ll be away next week so if it isn`t . . . sorry!

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/13 01:09 AM

"Yes, any decent acoustic largely preferred here too. Great!"

Wash yer mouth out wi soap and water, man! grin

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/13 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: peterws
I`m at no 40 now. I pressed the button to hear my upload. NOTHING happened! Hope it`s OK . . . .I`ll be away next week so if it isn`t . . . sorry!

Peter I think you can ask Monica to verify that for you - it would be a pity to miss your submission!

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/13 05:46 AM

Maybe I`ve unearthed a bit of a problem here. Though it only seems I`m affected by it. (nothing new there)
Audacity will not convert to mp3 without a (free) plug in. But with this free plug in comes a free toolbar. And Lord knows what else .. .! I had to download (free) malware stuff to get rid of a load of unwanted "extras" last time I downloaded a "free" file converter. So I haven`t got one now!
Therefore I submitted an mp2. Is that near enough? (for classics)
I really don`t know the difference between an mp2 or mp3 nor do I bl**dy care. . . I might have to learn to lol . .The Day of the Free Lunch seems to be OVER!!

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/13 05:55 AM

peterws - Another possibility is, if you have uploaded the piece to Youtube, you can use one of the free Youtube to mp3 downloaders to get a mp3 file. Just google Youtube to mp3. That is what I did. http://www.youtube-mp3.org
Posted by: jazztpt

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/13 06:19 AM

I have bumped you all above 34 , since I posted last week it has been niggling me , I really wasn't happy with my recording so this morning I had another bash. Maybe because I had already submitted the pressure was off and I managed a better performance - the joy of the red dot.

Anyway , looking forward to Wednesday.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/13 06:24 AM

Audacity will not convert to mp3 without a (free) plug in. But with this free plug in comes a free toolbar. And Lord knows what else .. .! I had to download (free) malware stuff to get rid of a load of unwanted "extras" last time I downloaded a "free" file converter. So I haven`t got one now!

Strange, I can't remember getting an extra toolbar. From top of my head, you need LAME, and you download it here

http://lame.sourceforge.net/

That should not come with unwanted goodies??

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/13 06:26 AM

peterws - Another possibility is, if you have uploaded the piece to Youtube, you can use one of the free Youtube to mp3 downloaders to get a mp3 file. Just google Youtube to mp3. That is what I did. http://www.youtube-mp3.org

I would avoid that route because it involves many conversion steps that degrade the audio heavily. Youtube itself is already too much down conversion, apart from the other steps you need.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/13 06:40 AM

Thaks Wouter! I still had to negotiate the free toolbars . . .they`re everywhere! how many toolbars does a guy need?

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/13 06:45 AM

Maybe I`ve unearthed a bit of a problem here. Though it only seems I`m affected by it. (nothing new there)
I really don`t know the difference between an mp2 or mp3 nor do I bl**dy care. . . I might have to learn to lol . .The Day of the Free Lunch seems to be OVER!!

peterws - I listened to it - sounds good. So looks like your submission is fine.

Sam

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/13 06:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Sam S

peterws - I listened to it - sounds good. So looks like your submission is fine.

Sam

Usually when you are installing a program (or plug in) there is an option to "not" install the toolbar when you are in the install program wizard. If it doesn't have one I search for the program (or plug in) from a different source.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/13 08:50 AM

That`s good news Sam! Thanks for getting back to me!

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/13 09:39 AM

Originally Posted By: wouter79

I would avoid that route because it involves many conversion steps that degrade the audio heavily. Youtube itself is already too much down conversion, apart from the other steps you need.

Thanks for the info Wouter79. I downloaded Lame and did an mp3 from my video file and resubmitted.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/13 09:46 AM

Good to hear that it worked out smile
Posted by: MaryBee

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/12/13 12:09 AM

peter, you shouldn't need a plugin with Audacity, just a library. The Audacity website (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq_i18n?s=install&i=lame-mp3) points you to this download page for the Lame library: http://lame1.buanzo.com.ar/. Don't click on the big green "Download" button! (This may be where you ran into problems with other downloads -- usually this is an advertisement, and it downloads all kinds of junk.) Rather, look for a link called Lame_v3.99.3_for_Windows.exe (I'm guessing you're using Windows), or Lame_Library_v3.98.2_for_Audacity_on_OSX.dmg (if you are using a Mac).

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/12/13 05:03 PM

Mar_red - see you're in with "Bring Him Home", another beautiful song from "Les Miserables" (I'm in with "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables") - you might want to note that the lyrics for both are by Alain Boublil and Herbert Kretzmer...looking forward to hearing your rendition of this gem!
Posted by: rnaple

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/12/13 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Sam S

Don't be left out! I predict a flurry of activity this weekend.

Sam

I can't submit anything right now. Gee...am submitting to Ecco Fatto in the next week. I do have one piece of music. I mentioned to my teacher. I was so impressed with it. It's brilliance. My teacher decided it was wise to teach me it now. Even if it takes a year. She said: "If we have to. We'll work on it one bar at a time." I think she understands what motivation like this does to a person. So...if anyone can guess the song... I'll post it in the recital when I finish it...might take a year...
My changed title to it is: GAFGC.....the second G is an octave down
Posted by: UK Paul UK

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/13/13 05:49 PM

Well, i came back from a weeks holiday, had a horrendous day at work and then spent my first day back somehow scraping a performance out of the pollonaise in gm.... recorded on phone and now submitted. I felt so disheartened before, during and after my session today. However i now feel rather upbeat and ready to get back to serious practicing from tomorrow. So much more work is planned on the piece, but i promised i would pop my recital cherry and things will get better with time.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/13/13 08:46 PM

woo hoo! after numerous attempts, i finally got a good one (i think!). too bad you can hear my upstairs neighbors footsteps =\

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/13/13 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: ElleC
...too bad you can hear my upstairs neighbors footsteps =\

We'd have quite a performance if we compiled all the extraneous sound effects that have been recorded for recital pieces - the neighbor's lawnmower, the kids yelling, church bells, thunder, upstairs neighbors foorsteps laugh

Cathy

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/13/13 08:59 PM

looking forward to hearing all the submissions

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/13/13 09:28 PM

I was going to submit Prelude in C major but for the sake of variety, I submitted an Aria instead. Can't wait to hear your interpretation.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/13/13 10:44 PM

I was going to submit Prelude in C major but for the sake of variety, I submitted an Aria instead. Can't wait to hear your interpretation.

Most considerate of you ElleC, I am glad you had a second piece to choose from. Perhaps we can hear your Prelude in C major in the piano bar soon?
Posted by: UK Paul UK

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: jotur
...too bad you can hear my upstairs neighbors footsteps =\

We'd have quite a performance if we compiled all the extraneous sound effects that have been recorded for recital pieces - the neighbor's lawnmower, the kids yelling, church bells, thunder, upstairs neighbors foorsteps laugh

Cathy

My second phone started vibrating at one point... can be heard on the recording and i hesitated .... but plowed through like a soldier ;-)
Posted by: FarmGirl

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 03:37 AM

I recorded mine - haven't listened to it yet. I will submit it tomorrow. Hopefully i can remember how to create the sound only file. I do recall having installed some program in my computer to do that. If I cannot remember I will submit the video version to piano bar.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 06:19 AM

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
I recorded mine - haven't listened to it yet. I will submit it tomorrow. Hopefully i can remember how to create the sound only file. I do recall having installed some program in my computer to do that. If I cannot remember I will submit the video version to piano bar.

FarmGirl, if you want, I can try to help.
Posted by: aTallGuyNH

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 06:35 AM

Ugh... deadline is today?!? Somehow I had the 15th in my head as the deadline, not as the day of the recital.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 08:53 AM

you can skip mine, seriously grin

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
Ugh... deadline is today?!? Somehow I had the 15th in my head as the deadline, not as the day of the recital.

Nope, it's 9:00 Eastern Daylight Time. That gives you, oh, about 9 hours to record and upload a decent take... nothing like a little pressure, huh? crazy

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 01:50 PM

It's still tomorrow here in Europe. Plenty of time left laugh
Posted by: Starr Keys

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 02:53 PM

Finally got mine in a week before finals week. Luckily with the kind of finals I have (singing and playing), this constitutes studying, but I still have to get more focused on what I actually need to do. So I stayed up all night getting my video and app done at the last minute. God only knows what kind of hieroglyphics will appear on my entry form as I was so blurry-eyed by the time I submitted the application, I could barely see. I figured I'd still have plenty of time to modify it after I got home from school, though. Unfortunately, although I remember copying the confirmation number to do this, I can't recall ever actually pasting it anywhere and can't find it, so I may be stuck with what I've got, unless, that is, Monica once again is gracious enough to take pity on me and email it to me. Sorry, Monica. I'll understand if you don't have time and I apologize to everyone in advance for any gibberish they may be forced to look at in my description. smile
Posted by: Mr Super-Hunky

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 03:35 PM

Mines in. Now if I could only find my 117 digit magic code to update the description part I'll be set.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 04:50 PM

Did you guys check the email for the confirmation mail? The code is in there

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 04:54 PM

It's still tomorrow here in Europe. Plenty of time left laugh

confused I'm wondering what that means crazy I guess I need to read up on Einstein

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 05:22 PM

Sorry, confusing grammar. In Europe, the recital is tomorrow, not today. (Except that it's almost midnight now, but never mind that).

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 05:46 PM

Sorry, confusing grammar. In Europe, the recital is tomorrow, not today. (Except that it's almost midnight now, but never mind that).

Well, it is to day now , but still yesterday in the USA....

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 06:15 PM

Starr Keys and hunky:

Check your private messages. I've sent you your magic codes. smile

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 07:38 PM

Picking a recording now.. with over an hour to go! Better than the 1 minute to go like last time!

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 07:42 PM

Isn't this the most stupid thing? I'm starting to get nervous as the hour approaches as if this was a real recital!!!

This is the first quarterly recital since I became a member on PW. Really looking foward to it!!!
Posted by: Starr Keys

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 07:45 PM

Thanks Wouter and Monica. I just made my changes:)
Posted by: Copper

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 07:45 PM

It is a real recital!

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 07:47 PM

Nope, it's 9:00 Eastern Daylight Time. That gives you, oh, about 9 hours to record and upload a decent take... nothing like a little pressure, huh? crazy

Squeaking in... not quite as close as last time. Maybe AimeeO will be after me again? That would be fun.

I'm just after Sam Rose... not exactly where I'd like to be in terms of having listeners compare & contrast smile but I'm glad I made it.

Time to get started on August's submission -- only 92 days and 73 minutes to go!

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 07:48 PM

Isn't this the most stupid thing? I'm starting to get nervous as the hour approaches as if this was a real recital!!!

This is the first quarterly recital since I became a member on PW. Really looking foward to it!!!

Not stupid at all IMHO... every single time I've done it (two!) I get all jacked up and excited.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 08:02 PM

I've gotten 15 emails in the last 30 minutes from the recital software... clearly there has been a flurry of submissions and updated descriptions! One hour to go before the recital closes....

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 08:29 PM

Squeaking in... not quite as close as last time. Maybe AimeeO will be after me again? That would be fun.

It just so happens to be your lucky day! Aren't we the procrastinators?

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: AimeeO

It just so happens to be your lucky day! Aren't we the procrastinators?

LOL -- that is too funny that we're right next to each other and at the (almost) very end as well.

We're improving though, aren't we? At this point in February I was wiping the nervous sweat off my brow and you were just starting to type! shocked

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 09:04 PM

Okay, I just got a submission in at 9:02. Somebody lucked out. wink But the time has come for me to duck into the telephone booth and come back out as my alter ego, AB_Forum_Recital. Going once, going twice... gone.
Posted by: FarmGirl

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 09:06 PM

I tried but could not convert to mp3. i used a free software called winff but it now revert me to iTune store and would not play the mp3 file it converted. I don't know what is going on. Also my q3hd is dying. it has lots of syncronization issues. prelude file was not usable. fugue has a bunch of skip and chirping but ok. I would say if I change the performer, it's better. anyway posting my
video to piano bar.
Posted by: stumbler

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 09:14 PM

Sorry Monika, that was probably me.
I had it in my head that the deadline was tomorrow. Was reviewing this thread for instructions and noticed all the deadline discussion. Rush, rush hurry, hurry. Sorry I think this one is 128kb and not 192kb---no time to correct.

I was hoping to make a cleaner recording tonight or tomorrow. I should have submitted this one a week ago, but thought I had plenty of time to make a better version. Hand problems got in the way of making a better version last week.

Oh well, I'm lucky to have snuck under the wire. I really wanted to participate this time.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 09:23 PM

Aarrgghh... I'm getting an error message. Apparently one of the submissions is not an mp3 file. I am going to try to troubleshoot it, but if I can't figure it out soon, I might have to drop that person's submission. frown

So all of you waiting impatiently by the computer may want to go wash dishes or something. wink

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 09:31 PM

I remember that, so I looked earlier up the thread - peterws file was an mp2. Sam S said he could listen to it, so they thought it might be fine. So maybe Sam S has an idea?

You caught me, tho, sitting right beside my computer smile

Cathy

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 09:40 PM

Yup, it was poor peter. And, no, even though we could listen to it, the recital software wouldn't process it. But I ripped the mp3 file off his youtube video and resubmitted it. So he made it in, though unfortunately he was bumped to last place. frown

...but let the recital commence! Be right back...

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 09:42 PM

You're a champ, Monica - I wouldn't have known how to do that.

Cathy

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: stumbler
Sorry I think this one is 128kb and not 192kb---no time to correct.

Are we supposed to be 192? My .mov to .mp3 converter gave me a choice, but the default was 128, so I just left it at that. (Am I understanding the right thing by your 128 and 192?)

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 09:51 PM

PianoStudent88, yes you understand.
The initial post of this thread recommends 192kbs.
Doesn't look like we broke anything though.

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate, as that works best with the online streaming player. At that bitrate, a 20 MB file works out to be about 7 minutes in length. Your recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 09:53 PM

It's going to be one of those nights.... I got Peter's submission all worked out, but for reasons unknown to me, the transfer from the recital server is going glacially sloooooowwwwllllly. So it may be a while before I get the zip files created and uploaded. In the mean time, you can stop washing your dishes, but you'll need to listen to the streaming player and/or click on the individual entries as I get them posted.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 10:11 PM

Thanks, stumbler. I've never actually read all the fine print for the recital, and it wouldn't have meant anything to me before. My previous recordings have been direct to mp3 and I have no idea what Kbps they've been.

(I don't know what the fine print about "normalized" means either. I have a vague idea, but if it means what I think it means, I'm not sure how it's useful information when I'm recording and submitting.)

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 10:17 PM

I assume that the volume is normalized, so that we can reduce the amount of fiddling with our volume control while playing back the complete recital. That way we don't need to worry that our recording is too quiet or too loud in relation to the other submissions. A nice feature if I understand it correctly.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/13 10:23 PM

Yes, the files are normalized before I put them in the zip files. That way if you want to import the whole thing into iTunes and create a playlist, you don't have to fiddle with the volume know. smile However, the individual links in the main recital thread are to the original file, unnormalized, for the purists who don't like the loss of dynamic variation that comes with the normalizing process.

The good news is that my internet is back to its normal speed, so I've gotten the first two zip files uploaded and the rest should come shortly. Yay.

Re: Recital #30 --- Call For Submissions - 05/15/13 02:28 AM

I'm using VBR, 155-195kbps. I would expect that better than fixed rate

>However, the individual links in the main recital thread are to the original file, unnormalized, for the purists who don't like the loss of dynamic variation that comes with the normalizing process.

great. But loss of dynamic variation?? That really should not happen, as dynamic expression is a crucial aspect of a performance. Are you sure? I hope you do normalization with one single amplification level for the each submission, both left and right?