Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Posted by: Sam S

Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 07:41 AM

We're putting a new floor in our kitchen, so guess where all the stuff that was in the kitchen went? In my piano room. Can you find the piano in this picture? It's there somewhere behind the stove and the kitchen table. I am able to squeeze in there and practice, so I can't use that as an excuse for taking a break.

Here's what it is supposed to look like. Hopefully I can restore it to this condition some day soon:

It's been awhile since we had a photo thread - now that I have shown you mine, show me yours!

Sam
Posted by: sinophilia

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 07:58 AM

This is a picture we put on Facebook in the hope of recruiting other music lovers among our friends and neighbors and get together in jam sessions...

Posted by: casinitaly

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 08:00 AM

Do we have to be in the midst of home repairs before posting new pics smile?

I have a painter coming in a few weeks, I'll wait for his arrival and disruption of my piano space !
Posted by: Rickster

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 08:48 AM

Good luck with the kitchen floor renovation project, Sam! Hey, I've been a guest at your home and you indeed have a lovely home and place in the deep woods of west central Georgia!

Here is a picture of my old Conover upright when I was treating the tuning pins with CA glue to tighten them up a bit. My method of tilting the piano back was unorthodox, but it worked!

The Conover renovation turned out great and I gave the piano to my dear sister as a house warming gift when she bought a new house. She loves the piano!

Rick
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 09:05 AM

Here's a picture of my set up here in WI. I don't have any acoustic pianos up here during the summer, so I have to make do with the FP-7. The synth on the right is my newly acquired Yamaha MOX6 which I'm still learning how to use!

edited: for some reason I can't figure out how to get the actual picture here, so here's a link:

https://app.box.com/s/fgtxwc43ray6yaszh4ak

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 09:19 AM

Sinophilia - lovely instrument collection. I used to play clarinet - my wife still does occasionally.

Rick - that's a creative use of tractor hydraulics!

Morodiene - very cool keyboard setup - you could straddle the piano bench and play one with the left hand and one with the right...

Sam

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 09:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Sam S
Sinophilia - lovely instrument collection. I used to play clarinet - my wife still does occasionally.

Rick - that's a creative use of tractor hydraulics!

Morodiene - very cool keyboard setup - you could straddle the piano bench and play one with the left hand and one with the right...

Sam
Haha....or look really impressive playing one hand behind my back!
Posted by: jotur

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 10:54 AM

Rick, can I be your sister? smile

(Riddler, it's ok, bro, I'm used to having many brothers, so I won't neglect you!)

Cathy
Posted by: keystring

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 11:29 AM

My setup isn't quite as cluttered as it appears here, but it does reflect my life. My two-tiered work desk is in the front, and the piano is behind it with the new cable running from piano to computer. The "stair stepper" from a second hand store guarantees exercise when life gets out of hand.
https://app.box.com/shared/static/m4mgp2eljo3ta81za4uh.jpg

Even the monitors may have music in one corner, and work in the other.

This is the view I would prefer to have - away from work and at the piano. The open book is music history because I was playing their example when the phone rang and I never got back to it.
https://app.box.com/shared/static/3vnmo20n4pkuo52qmhy1.jpg
Posted by: Riddler

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: jotur
Rick, can I be your sister? smile

(Riddler, it's ok, bro, I'm used to having many brothers, so I won't neglect you!)

Cathy

You didn't think I'd actually catch that, did you?

But it's OK. If Rick is your bro, he's mine too, and I can feel free to call on him for help whenever I need it. smile

Ed
Posted by: peterws

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 12:03 PM

Here`s mine . . complete with Super Massive Music Stand . . .The speakers have been returned to the loft; they`re not needed.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 12:19 PM

Hey, Peterws, that is a nice looking set of speakers you have there... I'll bet your DP sounds great.

And, Cathy, yes, you can be my sister... now let me see if I can find you a vintage upright. smile

Rick

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 12:55 PM

peterws: love the music stand!

Keystring: you are like me, I leave something out as a nagging reminder that I should be doing that rather than put it away and forget about it smile

Sam s: I'm sure it's worth it to redo the kitchen floors, but I'm sure you will be glad to have your piano room back!

Rickster: what exactly were you doing to the piano?
Posted by: Allan W.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Morodiene

Thought he was dragging it along the road at first... thought he knew better than that wink

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 01:37 PM

Well, it hasn't changed in 3 years:

Rick - thanks so much! I have a vintage upright, as you can see, a 1905 Howard. But it no longer holds a tune, and it, uh, doesn't sound the best, either. I suppose we'd have to deal with shipping from you to me? laugh

Riddler - whew! yes, I'd guess Rick will now help you out with anything (piano related) you'd need. Right, Rick?

Cathy

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 01:46 PM

Well, the tractor is not in motion, and I’m certainly not dragging the piano down the road… I was on my concrete driveway behind my house.

What I was doing was treating the pin block with a tuning pin tightener, which was actually liquid “superglue” or CA glue. This is a very common method/procedure to add life to the pin block.

To do this correctly, the piano has to be tilted on its back far enough so the CA glues will run vertically into and around the tuning pin and pin block. It will not follow this path very well if the piano is upright in its normal position.

The tractor and boom pole worked well to tilt the piano on its back without straining my back… I’m not as young as I used to be. smile

Real piano technicians (or some of them) have a special jig designed to tilt the upright piano on its back for this kind of service. However, the tractor and boom pole worked well in my case.

Hope this explains it… smile

Rick
Posted by: Piano RX

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 02:06 PM

Nice piano area Sam... how does one insert a photo into a post?

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Rickster

What I was doing was treating the pin block with a tuning pin tightener, which was actually liquid “superglue” or CA glue. This is a very common method/procedure to add life to the pin block.

Yum! I sense a new opportunity to unleash my passion for extreme DIY!

Next week I'll tour a store full of old pianos...

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: PianoismyScrip

The way I do it is to upload the picture to someplace free that stores photos - I use google photos, or I guess it's called google+ now. I used to use something called photobucket, not sure if that is still around.

Then I right click on the photo and copy the link to it.

When you are in the posting window there is a icon available to enter an image. You paste the link to the photo there.

Then do a preview to see if it actually worked!

Sam

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 03:20 PM

peterws, that is a serious music stand. Did you buy that somewhere? I've got a digital (which doesn't get much use) with a wimpy little stand...

Sam
Posted by: wj3

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 06:10 PM

Here is my little kingdom.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 06:27 PM

Oh! What? That Roland looks the business. Wouldn't mind gigging that . . . .

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: wj3
Here is my little kingdom.

Cool piano, but I also like that artwork on the wall. Is that a print?

Sam
Posted by: wj3

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/22/13 09:51 PM

Yes it's a print. I call it "TheProfessor". It goes well in the room.
Posted by: Mr. Square

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 01:09 AM

Ooh I love to see pics... I'll play. Come on, keep it going.

Posted by: Clayman

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 01:32 AM

Great pics, everyone. smile My dear, shortly after unpacking.

Posted by: Whizbang

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 01:54 AM

It's a repost, but I'm proud of her. Mabel after her recent tuneup:

Posted by: SwissMS

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 03:45 AM

OK, I will play. Here is my little practice corner. The Avant Grand is against the back wall for silent practice.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 05:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Square

Nice! The dog matches the couch which matches the carpet! What are those things under the piano? Chinese dragons?

Sam

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 05:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Whizbang

A Fandrich! Now that's a rare piano...

Sam
Posted by: Jean-Luc

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 06:10 AM

My beloved Kawai and my current teacher smile

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 08:38 AM

Sam
Why is Mabel naked? laugh

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 08:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Jean-Luc
My beloved Kawai and my current teacher smile

what's the kitty teacher's name? She/he looks just like my dearly departed cat, Panda. He also loved piano! smile
Posted by: Piano RX

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 08:41 AM

Originally Posted By: PianoismyScrip

The way I do it is to upload the picture to someplace free that stores photos - I use google photos, or I guess it's called google+ now. I used to use something called photobucket, not sure if that is still around.

Then I right click on the photo and copy the link to it.

When you are in the posting window there is a icon available to enter an image. You paste the link to the photo there.

Then do a preview to see if it actually worked!

Sam

Thanks Sam, I shall try posting pics of my new Hailun.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 09:00 AM

His name is Bidule (I guess it would translate to "Thingy") he also very much love the piano (which shows a lot of courage on his side considering my level) and often lie on the wooden part over the pedals when I play. He has a sister who exceptionally wasn't around for the photo smile
Posted by: Mr. Square

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 09:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Square

Nice! The dog matches the couch which matches the carpet! What are those things under the piano? Chinese dragons?

Sam

Thanks and they are Foo Dogs.
Posted by: woodog

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 11:09 AM

One side of the space:

the other side of the space:

The piano (a Baldwin L, 1954, new hammers, keytops, bushings by me) and the speakers (E-V Patrician 800s) were a real score from a surplus auction at Western KY University where I work.

I got the piano for $500 (about $3000 total invested, including moving, at this point). The Speakers for $70. It was a good day. :-)

Forrest

Forrest

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 11:20 AM

Forrest, I can't get over what a bargain you got in your Baldwin L. That kind of price is just unheard of, on average. I suppose, every once in a while, the anomaly deal comes along. (I'm jealous smile )

Beautiful piano and a beautiful home!!

Rick

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 11:47 AM

Woodog - love that green color on the walls. Now that would go well with my Bechstein and it's green felt!

Sam
Posted by: KurtZ

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 11:51 AM

This is also how the music stand on my upright was fixed. The lip was held on by #4 brass wood screws into the "end grain" of medium density fiberboard. Between the mdf and the tiny threads there was no grip at all and they pulled out without damaging the surrounding wood. When the dealer's casework man came out, he ran some CA into the same holes and used the next size up wood screw. Two years later and no more problems. My model building brother tells me that this is a common practice for getting screws to hold in balsa flying models as well.

Kurt
Posted by: Pierre-Luc

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 11:59 AM

Here is mine:

It's a Yamaha YDP-181.

I just moved into my new house and I'm not yet certain if the piano will stay at this place or not. I would prefer having it against a wall instead of against the ramp of the mezzanine. smile

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 12:00 PM

Woodog - love that green color on the walls. Now that would go well with my Bechstein and it's green felt!

Sam

Thank you Sam!!! I'll expect delivery of your Bechstein any day now!!

so generous grin grin grin

.. I just love these forums!

Forrest

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 12:20 PM

Yah, there certainly were only a relative handful made, which is a shame, because I think that the piano absolutely achieved its technical goals as I understood them: grand sound (due to design and size) and feel (due to the special action) in an upright form factor.

Overall, I'd say that Mabel's lived up to my standards more than I've been able to live up to hers.

That salacious technician had not yet completely finished having his way with her. This was post-bushing replacement, regulation, and voicing, but pre-tuning, so I left her dèshabillé. Of course, taking that thought to its extreme, it probably calls into question the moral uprightness of the photographer.
Posted by: Toastie

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 04:06 PM

Woodog, that's a really beautiful room, very stylishly done.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 04:54 PM

Forrest, I can't get over what a bargain you got in your Baldwin L. That kind of price is just unheard of, on average. I suppose, every once in a while, the anomaly deal comes along. (I'm jealous smile )

Beautiful piano and a beautiful home!!

Rick

Why thank you Rick. It'll be even better when my Bechstein arrives with the matching green felt (j/k Sam!... sorta)

The piano WAS an anomaly. I went to the auction with $3500 budgeted for the speakers, exceedingly rare and hotly sought after, and I was sure I was going to be outbid. The plan, oddly enough, was to buy and rebuild the speakers and then sell them to some crazy audio-fool (and I'm one!) with more money than sense to finance a piano purchase.

The piano, which I was familiar with since it was located in the space where the bookstore (where I work) was to be temporarily located, had spent its entire life in a theater that was converted to a chinese restaurant. I had practiced on it as an undergrad as it was way nicer than the practice room pianos.

Anyway, it was a last minute addition to the auction, and the only advertisement for it was a picture similar to the one below at the auction site, a full two blocks away from the piano, which was in a locked building, so no-one was able to 'try it out'.

I did not know it was going to be auctioned, but after I got the speakers for $70 - I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT - I was willing to go up to $3430 for the piano!

The dampers are the next project, but this piano has turned out to be a very fine instrument.

I have joked that if karma is a zero sum game, then I'm due to be flattened by a dump truck on my bicycle commute home someday. :-0

the pic similar to what folks saw:

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 06:08 PM

That salacious technician had not yet completely finished having his way with her. This was post-bushing replacement, regulation, and voicing, but pre-tuning, so I left her dèshabillé. Of course, taking that thought to its extreme, it probably calls into question the moral uprightness of the photographer.

Now there's something we haven't discussed on ABF to my knowledge... moral uprightness. No longer a debate between baby grand vs. upright; it's an ethical debate. At least Mabel's picture was taken with her actually being upright, as opposed to Rickster's lovely 'lady' lounging outside for all to see! wink

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 06:47 PM

Now there's something we haven't discussed on ABF to my knowledge... moral uprightness. No longer a debate between baby grand vs. upright; it's an ethical debate. At least Mabel's picture was taken with her actually being upright, as opposed to Rickster's lovely 'lady' lounging outside for all to see! wink

Not naked, but how about vivisected? Here's my Bechstein with no action, strings, pinblock, plate, or even a soundboard - just a case. This was the low point before bringing her back to life:

Sam
Posted by: Tubbie0075

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 07:55 PM

Here's my very small piano studio:

Here's my audience:

UPDATE:
After looking at the above photo, I decided that the room was too empty. Rather than a piano studio, I've changed it to a music room.

I so need some beautiful paintings for those walls, or perhaps so inspiring photos of musicians and composers.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 08:45 PM

Tubbie, how is the sound like in a small room like this one? I plan to buy a baby grand in the next few months and my room is not much bigger than yours.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 09:09 PM

Pierre,

I was very worried about the sound before I move to this house. I have to say the sound is not ideal, but it is actually not as bad as I initially thought. The sound does get quite loud but the reverb is not so bad.

The removalist suggested that I stuff some cushions or pillows between the ribs underneath the piano. It worked to lower the volume but it makes the sound across the keyboard register very inconsistent. I tried different positions for the cushions and I never get to the perfect balance. So I gave up.

After playing the piano is this room for 5 months, I don't even notice anything wrong with the sound. I am thinking of getting some large paintings to go on the walls so it might reduce the reverb a bit, but I haven't found the money or the perfect paintings for my studio yet ;-)

Edited:
I posted a video a few weeks ago. The Una Coda pedal (soft pedal) was used for most of the video. It's not a good video to judge the volume but it gives you an idea about the reverb effect, which is not so bad.

Posted by: malkin

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: jotur
Well, it hasn't changed in 3 years:

Cathy

You have the same gravitational system for sheet music storage that I have!!!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 10:25 PM

Here's a picture of my set up here in WI. I don't have any acoustic pianos up here during the summer, so I have to make do with the FP-7. The synth on the right is my newly acquired Yamaha MOX6 which I'm still learning how to use!

edited: for some reason I can't figure out how to get the actual picture here, so here's a link:

I miss my FP-7! I traded it in for my Kawai grand. Wish I could have both.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 11:18 PM

Thank you so much Tubbie for that great performance and for taking the time to reply with this much information!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/23/13 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: malkin
You have the same gravitational system for sheet music storage that I have!!!

Yeah! "Gravitational system for sheet music storage." I can go with that! That's so much more, um, scientific than "the floor is my desk." laugh

Cathy

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Tubbie0075

I miss my FP-7! I traded it in for my Kawai grand. Wish I could have both.

After playing on this all summer, I'm ready for a grand again!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 12:39 AM

Must admit to lusting sfter some o` those pieces of wood and metal .. .especially the shiny ones. I want a shiny piano! . . .

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 01:55 AM

Not naked, but how about vivisected? Here's my Bechstein with no action, strings, pinblock, plate, or even a soundboard - just a case. This was the low point before bringing her back to life

You beast!
Posted by: Newman

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 06:38 AM

My corner of the lounge room

Pretty sad compared to the beautiful rooms and pianos here

I just can't get a pic to post only link f

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 07:40 AM

I think I see a cat toy :-) It seems many piano players (or aspiring in my case) love pets (cats or dog)

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 09:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Newman

Pretty sad compared to the beautiful rooms and pianos here

I just can't get a pic to post only link f
Hey, I know of people who use the excuse "we have no room for a piano" for not having one and learning to play. I think with as little space as a digital piano takes up, that's not really a good excuse anymore. smile

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 11:08 AM

I think I see a cat toy :-) It seems many piano players (or aspiring in my case) love pets (cats or dog)

I wish I have a dog :-(
Posted by: gooddog

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 11:54 AM

♫"These are a few of my favorite things..."♫

You can see how my screen name is very true.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 12:53 PM

They are so lovely smile Perfect little students it seems smile
Posted by: sophial

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 12:56 PM

oh they are adorable!!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 02:29 PM

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 07:20 PM

Good spotting - new puppy's toy.
Posted by: Playagain

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 08:10 PM

I love seeing all the photos, so I'll add mine.

It's a Yamaha T118 in my very crowded dining room. I had to take the picture from the side because of glare from the windows on the opposite wall and also the reflection on the piano showed my sewing machine and other stuff on my dining room table.
Posted by: dynamobt

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 08:24 PM

This is my little corner

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: dynamobt

This is my little corner

My goodness, that has to sound magnificent!! The scale of everything in that room is pleasing to the eye as well.

Best

Forrest
Posted by: dynamobt

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: woodog
Originally Posted By: dynamobt

This is my little corner

My goodness, that has to sound magnificent!! The scale of everything in that room is pleasing to the eye as well.

Best

Forrest

And the room extends 42 to the wall opposite the piano!!! We pretty much built the room for the piano. LOL!! And thank you for the compliment!!!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 09:40 PM

Very nice!
Posted by: rnaple

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 09:41 PM

To all the dog people. "Happiness is a wet nose".

Like seeing all the pictures.
Mine is probably the most unpretentious

[img:center]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/kawai1003.jpg/[/img]

[img:center]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/kawai1004.jpg/[/img]

EDIT: I guess they're too big? Don't see how to get and link a smaller one there?
That is my living room. The painting on the back wall of the seagull. That is a painting my sister dearly loved. She passed away 29 years ago. I've managed to keep it all these years.
Posted by: Strings & Wood

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: gooddog
♫"These are a few of my favorite things..."♫

You can see how my screen name is very true.

Nothing touches the soul like the eyes of a Cocker.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/24/13 10:23 PM

Here is my Schimmel

Here is my 1911 Bluthner in my very cluttered basement: A work in progress.

You are probably wondering... basement or piano?

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/25/13 01:20 AM

That's a beautiful room and piano - as are so many in this thread. They are lovely to see. I wish ... for a big black shiny grand and a grand room to sit it in.
Posted by: Polyphonist

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/25/13 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Allan W.

Piano is fine - get a better bench. ha
Posted by: keystring

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/25/13 01:32 AM

What's wrong with the bench?

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/25/13 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: keystring
What's wrong with the bench?

Nothing really, I just prefer benches like the one in dynamobt's photo. smile

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/25/13 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

Shrug, can't expect a top quality bench to come with a cheap piano.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/25/13 01:45 AM

Can't expect a top quality bench to come with a cheap piano.

Why not get the bench separately?

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/25/13 01:52 AM

Can't expect a top quality bench to come with a cheap piano.

Why not get the bench separately?

Here you go, I magically turned the bench into a better one. Satisfied now? :P

I'm just renting the piano so the bench was whatever came with it.

Posted by: bluebilly

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/25/13 05:05 PM

My wife say's it's a mess, I call it organised chaos.LOL Actually the room isn't much bigger than the piano.

Matilda the cat and my nine year old granddaughters P-105, which I'm baby sitting until she moves into her new house, the exchange of contracts is held up so I get to play around with it for awhile longer.
Posted by: Clayman

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/26/13 01:43 AM

Some really beautiful grands around here. It sort of makes me wish I had one as well even though I have no place to put it. smile

Heck, I'd probably just buy a meadow, put the piano on a concrete slab in the middle of it and build a house around it. laugh Keep them coming, people.
Posted by: Recaredo

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/26/13 08:14 AM

This is the little room where my DP is placed, little but mine.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/26/13 06:05 PM

Recaredo..... You're breaking the rules. You're not allowed to have a nice neat room for your piano. It's not only supposed to be messy. You're required to have at least one furry creature supervising you. The worst part is the lack of a gravitational filing system for your sheet music. smile

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/27/13 01:02 AM

Your rooms full of good things . . .wouldn`t know how to operate them mind. It`d be fun finding out . . .
Posted by: Rerun

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/27/13 06:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Recaredo
This is the little room where my DP is placed, little but mine.

Hey Recaredo, that's an interesting painting with the negative shapes above the computer, is that some of your work? What is the subject matter ... the glare makes it harder to see?

Thanks ...
Posted by: Recaredo

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/27/13 08:28 AM

LOL Rnaple!

Rerun, this painting represents the Alcázar of Seville, and is a work of Teresa Martín-Vivaldi, a painter from my city, Granada. I bought it long time ago, it's really nice I think.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/27/13 10:04 AM

Yep, very nice Recaredo. Some of the shapes are still a little hard to read from where I sit, but it's hard to get a photograph to do a painting justice ... I've tried in a number of museums over the years and trust me, you're much better with a camera than I am.

Thanks ...

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/27/13 11:38 AM

Originally Posted By: rnaple
..You're required to have at least one furry creature supervising you...

Here's my furry creature, Bosco. When I practice he is at my feet, brushing my ankles with his tail. He likes Bach the best. Prokofiev, not so much!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/27/13 12:03 PM

What a beautiful kitty smile
Posted by: CarlosCC

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/27/13 12:24 PM

Wow, really beautiful pianos, rooms and pets!
Here is my space with my digital. This picture shows my daughter - she was sick, at home - and it was taken in 2009. The bird has died last year frown

PS: I think I had already shown this picture on PW...
Posted by: Boira

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/27/13 01:13 PM

Not exactly the general view pictures that show all the instrument, but here are some of my flat mates: A Petrof uprighth, a gralla (medieval precursor of the oboe) and a Fender precission bass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boira-synnove/sets/72157625472826928/

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/27/13 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Boira
Not exactly the general view pictures that show all the instrument, but here are some of my flat mates: A Petrof uprighth, a gralla (medieval precursor of the oboe) and a Fender precission bass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boira-synnove/sets/72157625472826928/

Love the one of the little pianist - I feel like that sometimes - too small for the music and the piano. Hope you don't mind if I link back to the image:

Sam

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/27/13 04:46 PM

Boira, these are wonderful photos!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/27/13 06:42 PM

Your little one will be better now. Does she still play that piano? Has she taken to it? Hope so . . .
Posted by: Boira

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/28/13 03:55 AM

Thank you very much, Sam and Sinophilia! I'm very glad you liked them.
I must confess that the little pianist plays a lot better than I do grin

There're really nice pictures in this thread, lovely instruments and not only pianos!
Posted by: wouter79

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 08/28/13 04:05 PM

Here are a few old pictures of my Grotrian-Steinweg 189 and some sound coming from it smile

mendelssohn

rachmaninoff

more pics here

grotrian pictures

christmas pictures
Posted by: heathermphotog

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/01/13 09:57 AM

I haven't been on here in a while, but I like this thread so I thought I would play along smile

Here is my beloved piano and this is normally how this room looks ... music everywhere between me and my 7-year-old daughter playing and practicing.

This room used to be a tiny dining room, then we turned it into a music room - this made more sense to use it like this. We bought a vintage couch to sit and listen to the piano and we enjoy this room very much.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/01/13 10:46 AM

I think it was a genius who invented the Sloping Fronted Piano . . . Just perfect for music! So`s the floor . . .
Posted by: heathermphotog

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/01/13 10:54 AM

wink yes ... Perfect!
Posted by: ClsscLib

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/01/13 05:48 PM

It was once the Family Room, now "the Music Room." This cost me a lot of redecorating expense elsewhere in the house, but life is compromise:

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/01/13 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
It was once the Family Room, now "the Music Room." This cost me a lot of redecorating expense elsewhere in the house, but life is compromise:

Is that one of those pneumatic benches? Very nice...

Sam

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/01/13 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib

That's what I did! Remember my picture? smile Although mine is just a "tiny" bit on the lower expense sheet. You can imagine, from my living room (combo music room/exercise room) what my two spare bedrooms look like. smile I did, in fact, redecorate them! They are what cat's like. smile I seriously need to remind myself what's in some of those boxes. smile

Seriously....congrats....it's beautiful.
Posted by: 255

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/01/13 07:01 PM

Beautiful thread!
I envy you all for those awesome grand pianos! laugh

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/02/13 03:36 AM

Er . . .is that a plug next to your piano? sort of Electro-Acoustic design? Looks very interesting . . Seriously, you have a great room there!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/06/13 05:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Strings & Wood

Nothing touches the soul like the eyes of a Cocker.

What about a Labrador puppy? Here's our new family member, Max.

Posted by: Michael_99

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/06/13 07:08 AM

Sam, I have read your post, here:

subject: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, funny!

as I have posted a million times before, I live in a shack that I bought in 1978 that was tiny - 450 sq ft - and was built in 1945 for the soldiers coming from the war (WW II) and were ripe to get married and start a family - having fought a war in Europe from when the war started and were 16 years old - were now 20 or 21 years old in 1945 - if they surived the war.

Sam, my whole shack is just as full of stuff as your room with the digital piano - but in my living room there is nothing except 3 small piano benches for My Yam Clavinova, my Yam P95 and Yam 3 legged piano and a washing machine because I can't afford to heat the basement so I only live upstairs so thus the only place was my living room for the washing machine and my bed is in the kitchen because I was sleeping in the livingroom and when I got my 3 legged acoustic piano BUT - I thew out the couch that was in the living room that I slept on and put a cot in the kitchen where I sleep now. Now people who know me ask me if my bed is still in the kitchen - they have seen it - and I say, of course, yes, the bed is still in the kitchen. .

Also when I bought the house/shack, the mortgage company wouldn't give me a mortgage because hanging from the ceiling of the kitchen was lamp wire with a light fixture - which, of course, could easily catch fire - or cause a fire. I told the mortgage people that I would plug everything into the electric stove because it had one good safe plug/receptical - so I would plug in the iron or the sear microwave - that still works today so from (1976 - 2013!) or an electric cloths dryer-120v, a portable dishwasher and an electric frying pan.- and the insurance company said they would then give me insurance and the mortgage company have me a mortgage with that understanding
that I would be careful. So that is why my house has holes in the walls and ceilings because I told the electrician, that it is a shack so just punch holes in the walls to put in the new wiring so it would be done cheap and quick. I also insulated the walls so it would be warm - and also so - I could't hear the traffic and hear the criminals pushing shopping carts down the sidedwalk day and night and now, of course, so criminal and honest people walking by the shack couldn't hear me playing the piano at 2:00 a.m. as they stagger home from the bars. I also put in new plumbing because I didn't want to die young of lead poisoning from the lead water pipes. And have never painted the place because paint is expensive and wasted on a shack with holes in the walls. The only thing I would add was that when I was a young kid, my parents told me that when they were first married a relative came to visit them and stayed for 6 months and mooched off of them - so I thought that I would keep that in mind and so - nobody has ever remotely suggested that they would like to stay at my place - which is cool - and as bad as it is - it is good enough that I can play my piano any time of the day or night and nobody will say squat!!

cheers,

Oh, yes, and for security reasons, I can't post a picture because if just one person on the planet that has ever seen the inside of my shack between 1978 to now 2013 would know instantly that it was my place and would tell the world and then the criminals would see what is inside and know where to look!

3S06CAP

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/06/13 08:20 AM

Tubbie0075

Love that puppy, so cute!!!

Here is a photo of my new puppy... we pick Maggie up this weekend. Sorry Sam, for the high-jack. Can't help myself:-)

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/06/13 09:42 AM

OK, since we are doing pets - here are some "pet" turkeys crossing my yard:

And here's Lovely Laurie and a snapping turtle in the road our house is on. We live about a half mile from a big muddy river, and the turtles come up to lay their eggs. I couldn't get her to stand any closer to the turtle. "Just a little closer, Honey, it'll make a great picture!" It's hubcap sized:

Sam

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/06/13 10:35 AM

OH, puppies! The Labrador is a cutie, and I love Maggie's tail. Is she actually pointing at the ball, or is there a bird there somewhere?

And I love the setting of your house, Sam - beautiful country.

Cathy
Posted by: JimF

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/06/13 03:32 PM

my workspace

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/06/13 03:34 PM

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/06/13 03:39 PM

cute pup, Tubbie. Here's a before........

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/06/13 03:43 PM

.....and after...the current view from my piano bench.

not spoiled at all....that beach is just for them

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/06/13 03:48 PM

Sam, the dogs were going balistic in the yard and I heard something on the roof one morning not too long ago....

Posted by: Plowboy

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/06/13 04:20 PM

Such as it is.

Y'all have some nice spaces, that's for sure.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/06/13 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: JimF
.....and after...the current view from my piano bench.

not spoiled at all....that beach is just for them

Very cute puppies that turned into very nice dogs. I wish I have a pool for our puppy Max. He certainly likes to be bath and keeps sticking his head under the water when we are watering the plants.
Posted by: Shey

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/06/13 07:53 PM

Hi Michael 99,
I have read lots of your posts in various places and can hear your love of piano playing.
I like the way you say you take your time with practise and the way you play your pianos.
It would be nice to see a picture of your pianos, but I understand you are concerned about theft where you live, this is why you are careful about letting people know where you live.
I hope one day you will not be so worried and would be able to show us your pianos, as you sound so proud of them.
Posted by: mrm2

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/07/13 12:48 AM

Great thread! This one moved in with me about three weeks ago:

I sold a dining room table and four chairs, a recliner, and an exercise bike to make room for it.
Posted by: Afzal Ballim

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/07/13 05:21 AM

The latest acquisition, a Yamaha DGX-650W

And our Steinway Model O

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/07/13 07:42 AM

Let us know how you get on with the 650 . . I have the 630 and love it . .it`s bound to be a bit better!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/07/13 08:17 AM

Can I ask how I can get photos to post? I used to be able to use my Flickr account but it no longer works. I know how to put the URL in the Full Reply Screen>Insert a non-floating image , it's just every URL I put in there, from Flickr, Box.com, or Google+ doesn't actually post an image, it just makes a link.
Posted by: de cajon

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/07/13 09:10 AM

I envy some of those large rooms. Oh for some TARDIS technology.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/07/13 09:14 AM

Can I ask how I can get photos to post? I used to be able to use my Flickr account but it no longer works. I know how to put the URL in the Full Reply Screen>Insert a non-floating image , it's just every URL I put in there, from Flickr, Box.com, or Google+ doesn't actually post an image, it just makes a link.

I was having trouble the other day. I was posting the wrong link. Easiest is to go to an upload site like photobucket, or imgur, that offers a copy/paste link to the uploaded photograph; one where a) there are [img] ... [/img] tags around it, and b) where the link ends in .jpg (or .png, etc.)

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/07/13 09:43 AM

Let's give this a shot.

Here's my current setup in FL:

Looks like it worked, thanks, jdeacon!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/08/13 08:30 AM

Originally Posted By: peterws
Let us know how you get on with the 650 . . I have the 630 and love it . .it`s bound to be a bit better!

Having never heard a 630 I can't tell. I've just uploaded a sample to the dpbsd site, so hopefully you'll get a bit of an answer to your question from that.

As far as I can see from specifications, the 650 has 128 poly compared to 64 on the 630, and uses Pure CF sound engine and has 4 levels of touch response.

The 650 has more voices etc. It has damper resonance, but I'm not sure if the 630 already had that or not.

For fun for beginners like me, there is smart chords a 1 finger chording.

The tweeters are a bit larger on the 650.

Otherwise, they lok remarkably similar.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/08/13 08:49 AM

Geesh.... That's a whole lot of piano in that room. Must be a 7 footer?
I would imagine, in Fla. You have a good setup of dehumidifiers?
Posted by: Music Me

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/08/13 10:46 AM

Wow. Love your music room. You own my dream piano. Enjoy!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/08/13 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Afzal Ballim
The latest acquisition, a Yamaha DGX-650W

And our Steinway Model O

By the way, there's a funny story behind the Steinway. I'd been looking for one for a while and went to a local store and put my name down on a list in case one came in. A few days later I got a call saying that this one had just come out of the factory after a complete restoration. It's serial number is 175439. If you look it up you will see it was made in 1916, when Steinways had much more hand craft.

I went in, tried it and bought it in a few minutes. Turned out, they had screwed up. Instead of looking at their list in chronological order, they looked at it in alphabetical. They were quite embarrassed, and so was I. But I'd already paid for it and had it moved to my house before I knew!
Posted by: lyricmudra

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/08/13 12:46 PM

Beautiful, Afzal! I love that you placed that dark gray shag rug underneath the piano to give the space texture. Even the piano lamp and metronome blend in well. ;-)

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/08/13 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: lyricmudra
Beautiful, Afzal! I love that you placed that dark gray shag rug underneath the piano to give the space texture. Even the piano lamp and metronome blend in well. ;-)

Thanks. I still have too much reverberation though. The room is completely open as you can see from the original photos. Next step is to get some curtains up and dampen things down a bit

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/08/13 12:58 PM

That is really nice, Afzal...
Very stylish too.
congratulations...

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/08/13 01:22 PM

I say go for light gray curtains. :-))

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/08/13 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: lyricmudra
I say go for light gray curtains. :-))

Hmm. Interesting idea. My general theme on that floor is shades of white/gray so that can work!

Thanks!
Posted by: malkin

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/08/13 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Afzal Ballim
Turned out, they had screwed up. Instead of looking at their list in chronological order, they looked at it in alphabetical. They were quite embarrassed, and so was I. But I'd already paid for it and had it moved to my house before I knew!

You must be grateful to your family for your name in that case!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/08/13 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: rnaple

Geesh.... That's a whole lot of piano in that room. Must be a 7 footer?
I would imagine, in Fla. You have a good setup of dehumidifiers?
9'2 smile

The room actually opens out into my office and a hallway, so it's not too loud in the space. No dehumidifiers, but it does have the Dammp-Chaser heating bar (or two of them I think) and the whole house air conditioning works to keep the humidity down.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/08/13 02:59 PM

jdeacon, I love the room, even if you had to stretch it out a bit to make it seem bigger smile

I love all the instruments, but of course, my favorite is the piano laugh

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/08/13 03:16 PM

We have the same thought -- shades of white/gray. That's why I thought light gray (silverish-gray) curtains would work. :-)

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/08/13 03:19 PM

Stunning piano! I wish mine was that long!! Love the gold and black Grecian urn theme in the room. :-)
Posted by: Mr Super-Hunky

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/11/13 02:50 PM

Well, we're still up here at the Llama lodge high up in the mountains of northern Arizona getting poured nearly every single day. The amount of rain we are getting is nuts; higher than ever recorded before.....EVER!

The average annual rainfall in Phoenix is somewhere around 7 inches of rain...annually. We have gotten 13 inches of rain here in the mountains in just the past month and a half! And remember, we are in the high desert!

It seems much of the country that normally gets the rains isn't getting it and the deserts of all places is ending up with it. But I'll certainly take it! The trees and grasses are very happy. I get to use my riding lawn mower and actually cut grass instead of just blowing dust and rocks. These pics were taken yesterday in between more monsoon rainstorms.

In this pic, Mrs Hunky lays in the meadow. But she is a little pissed because I mowed down a bunch of wildflowers. They were thistles and I didn't want them to go to seed.

Posted by: wouter79

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/11/13 04:29 PM

Wow looks nice for desert! Llamas also must be happy smile

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/12/13 04:36 AM

JDeacon - Love the look of that Rickenbacker bass.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/12/13 04:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
... I get to use my riding lawn mower and actually cut grass instead of just blowing dust and rocks.

To keep things looking hunky dory?
Posted by: AimeeO

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/12/13 11:15 PM

I'm a little late.. everyone's stuff looks great!

Her's my U3.. you can't really tell, but we had it satinized when we bought it.
Here's when we first got it almost 2 years ago

Here's a couple of shots today..

Here's me and Dinah on the digital. She doesn't hang out with me when I'm playing the accoustic.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/13/13 08:40 AM

... Love the look of that Rickenbacker bass.

They are nice. Around here it's known affectionately as the pretty plank. Unless you're on to your third song; then it's known as the *&£@*! heavy plank.
Posted by: ChopinAddict

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/14/13 12:40 AM

Beautiful pictures!
Mine is a silent piano that can also be used with headphones or speakers.
Posted by: ThreeWestCreative

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/14/13 11:01 AM

Hi There,

I recently purchased a 1927 Conover Cable Vertical. I'm totally in love with it. It played great and was pretty well taken care of but I have done some minor stuff to it to see if I could make it even better. But here are some photos of it.

I also toy around with my guitar but I'm not as into it as I am with piano and brass. I also play tuba and trumpet but I'm too lazy to take photos of them. smile I do have a much bigger amp now too. smile

My Tuba's name is "Huggy". I haven't named any of my other instruments yet. Oh I also have a Yamaha Portable Grand but I didn't play it nearly as much as I hoped to when I bought it. Now that I have the piano... never. smile

The guitar is an Epiphone Dot Studio.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/14/13 11:31 AM

Nicely styled piano. C/W seat to make yer trousers shine . . . . grin (I played the organ so I knows . . )
Posted by: Romek

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/14/13 11:36 AM

Hello, this is my new family member - Hoffmann V120 with the Vario System smile

Posted by: Forstergirl

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/14/13 02:10 PM

Hi

Here's photos of Gus, my piano, taken in 2009. Who says you can't have a grand in a narrow, tall house!

Forstergirl

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/14/13 10:45 PM

Three West Creative - Curiously the Epiphone 'Dot' doesn't have any fret marker dots.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/15/13 08:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Forstergirl

Hi

Here's photos of Gus, my piano, taken in 2009. Who says you can't have a grand in a narrow, tall house!

Forstergirl

Beautiful piano! And I think it fits perfectly in the space. The high ceilings make a huge difference. How long is that piano?
Posted by: Forstergirl

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/15/13 12:45 PM

Thanks. The piano is 6 feet 9 inches. It's 1920, beautifully rebuilt by Steve Jackman here in Toronto.

Forstergirl
Posted by: ThreeWestCreative

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 09/16/13 03:16 PM

Three West Creative - Curiously the Epiphone 'Dot' doesn't have any fret marker dots.

They are on the outer edge facing up while you're playing instead of in front and are very small I must say. smile

You still can't see the dots here but here's the top.

Posted by: Edtek

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 10/25/13 04:24 PM

My current setup: T118 and P105
[img]https://app.box.com/s/x7ed9t1cqtmmrsjkjihh[/img]
Posted by: Edtek

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 10/25/13 06:09 PM

My current setup: T118 and P105
Posted by: Psychonaut

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 10/25/13 09:47 PM

My little studio area:

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 10/26/13 02:01 AM

That`s a fella`s room if I ever saw one! Black and grey, black and grey . . oh, WAIT! Is that octagonal thingy a piece o` furniture? Get it outa there man! grin
Posted by: MylesB

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 10/26/13 10:11 AM

I know it's a Digital but some day. It's great for recording and playing using transcribe and Audicaty. I made a box w all the interfaces to do everything at once (it's hard to see, left side under the piano). There is a another AB box behind the rack for the external speakers. I just ordered a surround kit and will mount the them this weekend. I also just put up the music art for the pic. It took me sense last Xmas to put it up. I hate putting holes in the wall. It's the only thing that's crooked. What a contrast.
Posted by: Psychonaut

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 10/26/13 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: peterws
That`s a fella`s room if I ever saw one! Black and grey, black and grey . . oh, WAIT! Is that octagonal thingy a piece o` furniture? Get it outa there man! grin

LOL. Actually there are two of them, and they're hexagonal. I used to use them for the studio monitors until I built the PVC mounts (with some help from a friend who has carpentry tools and such0. And the poster is colorful! Also a gift, it's a print of a San Fransisco 1967/68 New Year's Eve poster of a local concert, featuring Jefferson Airplane, Big Brother & the Holding Co. et al... But yeah, I'm not much of an interior designer. Ain't my thing...
Posted by: PattyP

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 10/27/13 08:23 PM

I don't know how I missed this thread. I love seeing other peeps instruments and music areas.
Here's the Kawai CP209 and a sliver of the old Clavinova in my little music room.

Myles, I kinda love your music art. Want!
Posted by: Ragdoll

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 10/28/13 08:18 AM

This room is impossibly small/dark to get a decent photo. This is the best I could find, taken a week post arrival in 2012. His name is "Brio" and he's almost as old as I am. YIKES! But a beautiful instrument nonetheless, tone and touch very nice. A '67 Yamaha U1 3hearts

Posted by: evamar

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 10/28/13 11:07 AM

Still without a name, but Colin sounds promising...

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...%20my%20ot.html

Not particularly untidy area, but only because most of the stuff is inside the laptop. Otherwise I would also be a fan of the gravitational filing system. grin

Chewie, Ripley and Leela fight for the bench and the shelf over the pedals, so I've had to cover them. Only Leela (B&W) stays when I practice without headphones!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 10/28/13 12:38 PM

Evamar, yet another kitty lover I see :-D You will notice, kitties love the inset under the CA65 so you were right to provide them a little cushioning :), one of mine is often here when I play (a darker kitty, if the room is dimly lit, he is almost invisible against the rosewood)
Posted by: ElleC

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 10/28/13 12:45 PM

Some of these pianos are making me drool. I wish I have a space for a grand...some day!

here's my little practice room with my U1.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 10/28/13 01:01 PM

Evamar, yet another kitty lover I see :-D You will notice, kitties love the inset under the CA65 so you were right to provide them a little cushioning :), one of mine is often here when I play (a darker kitty, if the room is dimly lit, he is almost invisible against the rosewood)

hehe... I saw Bidule and thought she looks a bit like my Chewie. You can always recognise a pet owner by the care he/she takes before sitting down, turning a corner or using the stairs. grin
Posted by: EP

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/01/13 09:57 PM

Finally got around to taking a picture of my piano room: It's a Yamaha C3, and the drums are Yamaha also.
In case you're wondering, the extra pedals are to turn the page on my iPads.

Posted by: griffin2417

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/01/13 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: EP
Finally got around to taking a picture of my piano room: It's a Yamaha C3, and the drums are Yamaha also.

EP, did you have any problems adjusting to the fourth pedal to turn pages on your iPad? I've considered using one with my iPad. However, I'm concerned that I could make mistakes stepping on the wrong pedal.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/01/13 10:40 PM

Well, I started off using the pedal that came with the airturn, but it moved around too much so I took a couple of digital piano style damper pedals and am using them. It takes some getting used to - I have one to turn the pages forward and one to turn the pages back.
I don't have a problem hitting the wrong pedal, but it just takes some practice to be able to do it smoothly.
I have two iPads side-by-side that both turn with the same pedal, and one is always a page ahead, so I can turn the page when I'm in the middle somewhere, I don't have to do it right at the end of the page. Still getting used to it, but the beauty of it is you don't have to use your hands.

EP
Posted by: Schroeder II

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/02/13 06:07 PM

If I read this thread correctly 2 people named their pianos.
Is that common?

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/06/13 06:23 AM

I don't really think it is, but I'm considering calling mine Colin... still thinking in names...

Many people name their houses (other than the street number that is given), so why not their pianos? Up to you, I would say, no harm.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/06/13 07:11 AM

ipads? Four of them? Cool!

Sam

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/06/13 07:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Schroeder II
Is that common?

Mine is Becky the Bechstein...

Sam

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/06/13 07:28 AM

Mine is Wally, the walnut piano...
Posted by: Wolf616

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/06/13 07:53 AM

Wow, you all seem to have such fantastic set-ups. I just moved home after university and I am playing on the dusty and not often used Technics SX PR-600 that my parents have. I know nothing about keyboards or pianos but this one is so old it has a floppy disk drive!

Pictures to follow soon

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/06/13 08:00 AM

I think I'll call this keyboard "Hoover" ... I notice it knocks all the dust off my fingers in a matter of minutes.
Posted by: SwissMS

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/06/13 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Schroeder II
Is that common?

Mine is Becky the Bechstein...

Sam

My Bechstein is simply "Mr. B". He deserves some respect. My Avant Grand is "Aggie". Not very original I guess. grin

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/07/13 09:04 AM

A picture of Wally finally in use smile

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/07/13 10:02 AM

That`s a cheerful colour just made for happy music!! I looked at a similar coloured (Yamaha) in a shop recently. Played good too!
Posted by: Rusty Fortysome

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/09/13 09:10 AM

114 years old. It'll do.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/09/13 04:50 PM

THAT is lovely! Def. has the wow factor . . .now, you must take good care of this ole lady . . . or she`ll let you know about it in no uncertain terms!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/09/13 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Rusty Fortysome
114 years old.

So it's from the 19th century! What is the brand name? I can't read it.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/09/13 06:31 PM

114 years old.

Looks like a Bechstein! What a beautiful instrument

Forrest
Posted by: lpcmidst128

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/09/13 07:34 PM

Wow you guys got some nice pianos. I don't have a acoustic piano yet but would like to buy an upright piano one day. I practice/play mostly in the evening so a digital works well for me. Here is my Casio Privia PX-850 I got back in April to replace my PX-120.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/09/13 09:11 PM

I can't take a picture of them together because they're in separate rooms. smile

Here is one:

And here is the other one:

I also have a keyboard.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/10/13 04:05 AM

That's an absolute beauty!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/10/13 01:48 PM

The px850 looks real neat. It seems to shout "Paint me any colour you want . . ."
Posted by: EdwardianPiano

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/11/13 11:32 AM

Rusty your piano is WOW!
Posted by: EdwardianPiano

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/11/13 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
Wow you guys got some nice pianos. I don't have a acoustic piano yet but would like to buy an upright piano one day. I practice/play mostly in the evening so a digital works well for me. Here is my Casio Privia PX-850 I got back in April to replace my PX-120.

It looks nice there! I wish I had a bigger lounge and the money to get a digital as for some odd reason I have urges to play at midnight but my old Cecil is too loud for that! I would have one just for that.Debating whether to get a weighted keyboard that could be propped up against the wall behind Cecil Piano in the day.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/12/13 12:13 PM

My other room:

Kawai VPC1, Pianoteq 4.5 and Ivory II, Samplitude Pro X, Sibelius 7, Finale 2012, Windows PC and MacBook Pro Retina

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/12/13 12:16 PM

Wow. That's a lot of electronics crowded around one piano. grin

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/12/13 12:19 PM

Ha, most of it's behind me and not visible in the photo!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/12/13 01:02 PM

My other room:

Kawai VPC1, Pianoteq 4.5 and Ivory II, Samplitude Pro X, Sibelius 7, Finale 2012, Windows PC and MacBook Pro Retina

When ya crank that lot up, summat`s gonna rattle . . . .

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/12/13 02:14 PM

EP, I just got a Macbook Pro Retina too. Haven't tried it out with Garageband yet, but I bet the fan won't fire up as with my old Macbook.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/12/13 02:29 PM

To tell you the truth, I've had mine since last spring, and I didn't even know if it had a fan - I've never heard it. Mine has the 512 gb SSD and runs totally cool and quiet.
Posted by: torquenale

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/12/13 02:32 PM

My other room:

I really appreciate the classical bench, it gives a real nice touch to all the electronics there!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/12/13 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: torquenale
My other room:

I really appreciate the classical bench, it gives a real nice touch to all the electronics there!

+1

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/12/13 04:27 PM

It's a Jansen - I've had it for 8 years and absolutely love it.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/12/13 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: torquenale
My other room:

Er, excuse me, but I`m sitting right next to that bench right now . . .what`s it doin` in your place?

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/12/13 06:15 PM

thumb ha

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/13/13 06:15 AM

114 years old.

Yep: Bechstein V from 1899. It's in great condition.

It has new Abel hammers, all original ivories (a couple small hairline cracks), no cracks in the harp. I'll get it restrung and refinished in the next year, I hope.

It was re-finished sometime back and they slapped on an incorrect fallboard logo. I have to change that, too, back to the proper 1899 version…

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/13/13 07:33 AM

It's gorgeous, Rusty.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/13/13 07:55 AM

114 years old.

Yep: Bechstein V from 1899. It's in great condition.

It has new Abel hammers, all original ivories (a couple small hairline cracks), no cracks in the harp. I'll get it restrung and refinished in the next year, I hope.

It was re-finished sometime back and they slapped on an incorrect fallboard logo. I have to change that, too, back to the proper 1899 version…

Does it have power?

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/13/13 08:07 AM

Who gets to polish it? I`ll try some on my DGX to see if it improves it`s looks . . . grin

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/13/13 08:10 AM

Finally got my workstation set up where I can do work on the computer as well. Before I was using my laptop which goes with me to the school every day, and it's not ideal for doing editing, so we hooked up an older Mac we had sitting about. Hubby made a pull out tray for the computer keyboard and mouse that is attached to the stand. Works pretty slick!

It's also nice having it next to the piano because I sometimes like to compose on that vs. the MOX6, but also this is a great set up for Skype lessons.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/13/13 09:53 AM

Now that's a nice, clean setup! What's on the stand - a microphone, light, camera?

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/13/13 10:35 AM

Now that's a nice, clean setup! What's on the stand - a microphone, light, camera?
You mean on the piano? It's a light and a metronome. I need to invest in a good quality mic. I have a Zoom H4n that I use, and a $75 mic that is about a decade old.

What do you use your set up for mostly, EP? Really impressive stuff!

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/13/13 11:06 AM

Well, I have a Yamaha C3 in the other part of the studio which is my main instrument. I previously had a Kawai ES4 set up here (it's mainly my gigging keyboard) but really only used it in the studio for note inputing into Sibelius or Finale. I didn't really like to practice on it, because the action and sound are not that great. I also used it if I just wanted to be sitting in front of the computer for viewing video lessons, working with recordings, etc.
When Kawai came out with the VPC1, it was really what I'd been looking for in a digital, so I finally bought one and have it set up with Ivory II and Pianoteq. I've been looking for a way to get to practice on other pianos (I'm still a student as far as the piano goes, but don't have much access to other pianos besides my own) and find the VPC1 is great for that, very realistic, and I now have a variety of pianos, touch curves, etc. to practice on.
So, I'm using it more and more as a practice instrument. I've taken pains to set it up (physically) as much like a real piano as I can, in terms of height, pedal setup, etc.
I've been a musical and electronics hobbyist since before the days of Sputnik, so I have accumulated a considerable assortment of gear, much of which sits unused because the computers, sampled instruments, etc. have advanced to such an amazing degree.
Posted by: Jayden

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/13/13 12:06 PM

My other room:

Now that's how you set up a recording room like a man.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/13/13 12:43 PM

I even put an ADAT back into service because the EMU 1010 sound card I'm using with Ivory and Pianoteq only has ADAT out so I needed the converters.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/13/13 03:35 PM

Hi EP,
At the risk of confirming I could be hallucinating, whome is that a Capuchin monkey hiding behind that purple frog or ever what it is above the printer? grin

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/13/13 04:46 PM

The purple thing is a little dragon doll given to me by a friend, which I call Moats-Art. The thing behind it on the all is actually a Daniel Pollera print called "Coastal Harmony". The figure in the print that's brown and has legs is actually a … wait for it …. Piano!
Posted by: careezma

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/13/13 05:40 PM

“The Easiest and Most Effective way
to Learn Piano & Keyboard Online”

http://pianoforallbuy.blogspot.com/

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/14/13 05:37 AM

Does it have power?

Too much. for this house.

It's easy to roar on that thing. The soundboard is still original and still quite good at the high end. The lower end is over-full of projection. It has a fairly light touch, too, so it takes little effort before music pounds the walls.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/14/13 06:58 AM

Quote:
The thing behind it on the all is actually a Daniel Pollera print called "Coastal Harmony".

laugh ha Yes, of course I see that. The thing I was referring to is behind the right (your left) shoulder of the dragon. It looked like a little black and white monkey's head to me... and still does. Not important at all though, I was just curious if you had a Capuchin. My friend had one some years ago that I disliked intensely for it's nasty temper.

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/14/13 07:43 AM

I must confess I'm not sure what a Capuchin is, but I'm not much of a monkey fan myself. I think what you're seeing is actually the dragon's wings on its back. There's nothing else behind it. It's actually a very cute dragon.
Posted by: chopinoholic

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/30/13 07:38 PM

Hi, I just "discovered" this thread. Here's my Pleyel 205 from 1977 and therefore actually a Schimmel being delivered in May this year.

My oldest daughter playing. ( I hope she will love playing the piano like I do!)

Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! - 11/30/13 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: chopinoholic
Hi, I just "discovered" this thread. Here's my Pleyel 205 from 1977 and therefore actually a Schimmel being delivered in May this year.

Beautiful piano (and your daughter's cute too!)

Sam