Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions

Posted by: AB Forum Recital

Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 10/31/13 11:02 PM

TRICK OR TREAT!!!

Recital #32 is now open for submissions!

Believe it or not, it’s time for the 32nd quarterly “Beginners and Beyond” recital hosted by the Piano World Adult Beginners Forum! smile The recital will be posted some time on the 15th of November, which means that the submissions must be in by 9:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, November 14. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you. heart

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate, as that works best with the online streaming player. At that bitrate, a 20 MB file works out to be about 7 minutes in length. Your recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent free recording application that can be used.

If you’re new to the forum and the recitals, I encourage you to browse through a few of the past recitals to see what they’re like. An easy way to find past recitals is to use Sam S.’s extremely helpful recital index, located here:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Submitting Your Recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/

and follow the instructions there. Please note that this URL reflects our new permanent home for all the recital files. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital software, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the new website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, you may want to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it.

The recital website uses the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, what you had for lunch, etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 9:00 pm US EASTERN TIME on November 14, 2013.

Did I mention that the 9:00 pm deadline was firm?

Think "consistency of concrete." smokin

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is a recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital order will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should anyone have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, this is the place to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB Forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems. Please ask away! smile

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music! thumb
Posted by: Sam S

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/01/13 10:00 AM

I see Peyton has learned the Schumann Arabeske - can't wait to hear it!

And Frycek is playing Chopin op28/24! Wow - that one is so dramatic...

Sam
Posted by: CarlosCC

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/01/13 10:30 AM

Wow, 10 pieces already on track!
I plan to send my piece next week.
Posted by: jotur

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/01/13 11:51 AM

Oh my! Gershwin, Hornsby, Telemann!! Woot! Plus those classical pieces that I never know I know but always like when someone plays them in a recital laugh Who composed Monica's? Looks like a great mix so far. And it opens on a day I'm free to listen so I won't have to wait in suspense - yea!

I'm looking forward to it -

Cathy
Posted by: dynamobt

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/01/13 12:40 PM

Oh boy. Here already. Getting something into this is going to be a stretch. Time is of the essence!!
Posted by: Peyton

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/01/13 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Sam S

Sam

"learned" may not be perfectly apt... I "learned" all the parts but putting it together for a nice performance... yikes. I had real red dot paralysis and, in the end just went for a "performance", warts and all. I have loved the piece since I heard you play it and will just have to keep working it until I can put it all together to my satisfaction. I reckon that will be a few years down the pike... smile
Posted by: wouter79

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/01/13 12:58 PM

Is it THE arabesque of Debussy?

And Waterways, Einaudi maybe?
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/01/13 01:49 PM

No "maybe" about it, Wouter. wink

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/01/13 02:29 PM

Sam

and much more nice stuff

Rachmaninov op32 no5, that could be really nice smile

Maybe Debussy's arabesque

Sibelius

Looks good!
Posted by: Rerun

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/01/13 04:18 PM

I submitted several hours ago then had to leave for a few hours and looks like my internet service provider dropped the connection somewhere in there ... should I start over?

Thanks....

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/01/13 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Rerun
I submitted several hours ago then had to leave for a few hours and looks like my internet service provider dropped the connection somewhere in there ... should I start over?

Thanks....

Yes, I don't see a partial upload, so just try again.

Sam

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/01/13 05:04 PM

OK. I've decided. Downloaded music from IMSLP so I don't have any pages to turn. Could have rushed today and get a recording. But, the wind is howling and the house creaking. Just an uneasy sort of day. Still plenty of time to get a recording done.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/01/13 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Rerun

Thanks....

Yes, I don't see a partial upload, so just try again.

Sam

Hey Sam, I just resubmitted and emailed Monica the box.com link. It said recital info went thru.

Hey ... thank you two for all the work you put in on this ...

Rerun

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/01/13 07:11 PM

File's uploaded, rerun, so you're all set. smile

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/01/13 07:23 PM

Yes, Rerun! FTW! (For the Win means - that's the best!) I'm looking forward to your Chuck Berry.

I'm hoping to record and submit a week from this weekend - I just got thru a gig and can now spend time polishing up my piece. I'm not sure it'll be quite march speed, but it'll be closer than I've been in the past smile

Cathy

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/01/13 09:47 PM

Thanks Monica ... you guys are the best!

Thanks Cathy, I lucked out and got a decent recording in less than 4 months this time. grin I also did what Sam and Monica recommended and listened to A LOT of old recital entries ... I need to pick your brain on the rhythm on "Sail Along ...", etc. one of these days. Nice work!!

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/recital_files/Recital_19/39.%20joturCathy%20Turner%20-%20Sail%20Along,%20Silvry%20Moon.mp3

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/01/13 11:48 PM

Thanks! My brother, who is a professional musician, has always liked that piece. But my, it sounds slow to me now! I think it's time to up my playing to another level. Maybe ground floor instead of basement laugh

Cathy
Posted by: aTallGuyNH

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/02/13 12:24 AM

Wow... this one is shaping up to be a doozy.

Wouter79, that is an ambitous entry! Plus we have a couple jazz entries already (not nearly enough last time), including Thelonious Monk, plus Clair de Lune (Yay!), and Frycek taking on Chopin 28/24 (some serious runs there).

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/02/13 07:56 AM

TallGuy, yes it's a hard piece. I'm using a transciption by Ernst Traag. It sounds all natural when you have it down and with a band behind it, but without the band setting the beat and bass you have to do a lot more than just get the notes. And it has tons of very weird rythms, it's really syncopated and beyond almost everywhere. Plus that I don't play much in this style. But it's such a great piece, just had to do it smile
Posted by: SwissMS

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/02/13 10:30 AM

Well, I resubmitted, so everyone gets to move up one! At least now I am happy and I am done!
Posted by: Mr Super-Hunky

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/02/13 05:59 PM

Well mine's finally in at # 20 (although that could change). and you know that's killing me! I always try to be completely ready to submit on opening day to avoid panic ,frustration and negative energy all over the place.

This time I screwed up (although, I ultimately got it fixed).

You see, I WAS completely ready weeks ago. But that was after playing for 6 straight months on a slower, heavier acoustic.

I discounted the amount of 'transition time' it takes to go from a slower, heavier instrument to a lightning fast and light (crisp) digital.

The difference is literally like driving a ford F-150 Super crew (great truck btw) for 6 months and then jumping into a souped up Smart car. I'm not kidding.

This is not a 'good' or a 'bad' thing as they both factually have there pros and cons. It's just something that takes getting used to. For me it usually takes 3-5 days of playing a few hours a day but this time I condensed into 2 1/2 days because I was sweating bullets. Just waiting until the 3rd full day could have cost me another 10-15 spots or so down the list.

Like Sweet Brown on YouTube says....."I don't got time for that"!.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/03/13 03:28 AM

Mr. Super-Hunky, why didn't you record then 6 months ago on the acoustic? You could have been spending 6 months on the next piece ...
Posted by: TrapperJohn

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/03/13 10:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky

The difference is literally like driving a ford F-150 Super crew (great truck btw) for 6 months and then jumping into a souped up Smart car.

Out on the rough & tumble highway those F-150s gobble up those silly, casket-like Smart cars, where "souped up" means you don't have to pedal to get them going... laugh Vroom! Vroom!

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/03/13 01:02 PM

Mr. Super-Hunky, why didn't you record then 6 months ago on the acoustic? You could have been spending 6 months on the next piece ...

A couple of reasons. 6 months ago would have been 4 months earlier than I even started to learn about this piece. But the REAL reason is that although the sound that my Mason & Hamlin makes is absolutely incredible...(it really is!), the fact is my acoustics at the lodge could not be worse.

It's funny Wouter because as I was practicing my recital piece for the past couple of months on the big acoustic, I was honestly thinking of several members who would like this dramatic type of music. In addition to them, I was thinking to myself that you (Wouter) would not be able to listen to my piece since you can't stand listening to digital s.

I can't blame you for wanting to hear specific sound signatures if that's what pops your cork. All I ask is that you understand that with some other people, (me), what pops there cork is simply the beautiful melodies that are being played. Even if these melodies are being reproduced on a cheapo transistor radio, you'll still catch me humming along.

I realize that if an acoustic performance is performed under fairly decent conditions, it will sound much more impressive than any digital performance simply due to the incredible 'presence' and resonance an acoustic can create that you can literally feel. Unfortunately, when an acoustic piano is not placed in a setting that is compatible acoustically, it ends up sounding muffled and boomy in the recordings. In this case it will actually make more sense to submit a better sounding (although limiting) recording performed on a digital as opposed to the mighty and powerful acoustic. This is why I did what I did.

The Llama lodge is a log home with very large round logs that comprise all the walls. Their rounded shape does incredibly funky things to the sound waves as they bounce off them ultimately creating a boomy-conflicting mushy mess.

The good news is while playing the piano, I don't really hear all the acoustic nonsense going on because I hear the music coming from the soundboard before the sound waves start pin balling all over the room. So I have no problem playing and enjoying the mighty Mason. Recordings are a different matter however.

Wouter, if you are literally skipping my performances due to the dislike of the sound of digitals, then I will literally make a separate acoustic recording just for you. I don't mind doing this because I have observed over time that you are serious about your music and appreciation for it. It shows in your own personal performances and your attention to detail.

I really do get 'different strokes for different folks' so I'll do whatever it takes for you to give my music a listen. If you don't like the content, ...well then you just don't like it and move on. I would! But I'd hate to think that you may have missed out on a really beautiful piece just because too much plastic was being used. If that really is the limiting factor, it can easily be changed.

Looking forward to everyones submission in the upcoming recital.

Posted by: sinophilia

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/03/13 03:47 PM

Wow ladypayne, is that the song from Mary Poppins?!? Can't wait to listen to it!

(and of course many other submissions... but I have a weak spot for Mary Poppins!)
Posted by: peterws

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/03/13 04:45 PM

Mine`s in somewhere . . . it`s about the only piece of music I`ve been really pleased with. Mainly because I no longer have the piano!! I miss it . . gone forever!!! frown frown frown

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/03/13 05:11 PM

Wouter, if you are literally skipping my performances due to the dislike of the sound of digitals, then I will literally make a separate acoustic recording just for you. I don't mind doing this because I have observed over time that you are serious about your music and appreciation for it. It shows in your own personal performances and your attention to detail.

Wow that's nice blush

If it's not too much work, I'd love to hear you on an acoustic. If the acoustics are really that crappy, it may help to put the mic really close to the piano. Or put some thick carpets in the log

I didn't notice that bad acoustics in your last recital? Or did you move the M&H ?

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/04/13 06:14 AM

Nice list of submissions everybody!

This time I'll be at the bottom side of the list...
I've my "Two Trees" ready to play and record, but I'm quit busy next days so I think I can't do a record till next weekend. The backup is "Discovery at Night" which is recorded and ready to send.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/04/13 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: wouter79

I didn't notice that bad acoustics in your last recital? Or did you move the M&H ?

Well, I DID record on the Mason without moving it, ...but..., I took the comforter off our bed and stapled it onto the log walls next to the piano. (insert pissed off wife here!) That helped a lot in reducing the pin-ball effect of sound. In addition to stapling my bed comforter onto the wall, I stole the comforter of the bed in one of the guest bedrooms and placed that on the floor beneath the piano itself. (wife is now double-pissed btw!

I've noticed that if I'm playing slower pieces that don't have lots of overtones competing with each other then I can get away with the bed comforter method without too many problems. It is when I play faster pieces (especially using a sustained pedal) that the accumulation of sounds building up start becoming an acoustic recor4ding nightmare. It is at this point where to many corrections (acoustically) are needed to correct the problem so instead I just play and record the piece on my digital. This way, all is calm and good and I tend to throw less stuff around which always seems to end up costing me money somehow!

I put a fairly high value on my sanity. Especially when it concerns a spare time hobby.

Okay, I'll admit it, that was a lie. the fact is, I spend WAY too much time agonizing over my hobbies. Even the slightest hiccups drive me nuts and make me want to correct them. That's actually the truth. I just act like everything is going smoothly. To be honest, I'm still a bit frustrated with my hyped up recital performance because I actually managed to 'clip' the recording twice! ....and it's recorded on a digital!!!!. How pathetic is that?, I didn't even know it was possible to clip the levels on a digital instrument!

(I have a nearly full size inflatable referee that I blow up and then whack about a few times just to vent my built up physical frustrations. It actually works pretty well. Sometimes I even throw in a roundhouse karate kick to the inflatable refs inflatable head. The problem with that though is there is very little resistance to stop the forward momentum of your foot once you hit your target (the refs inflatable head) so you ultimately end up falling to the ground and landing on your sore hip. That sucks!

I'd put the bed comforters on the ground next to the inflatable ref before I kick him to help break the ensuing fall which occurs next, but I can't because I used them all up stapling them to the wall to help muffle the funky sound waves pin balling all over the room.

Recital time really is pretty hectic around here!

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/04/13 03:40 PM

In at 22. This was the most difficult piece of those I have recorded to date as far as just getting it recorded. There are mistakes in the final version. But, I erased so many earlier efforts that by this take, what I got sounded pretty good!! I had almonds for a snack before recording. Nearly choked to death!!!

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/04/13 04:22 PM

LOL I think I'd make a few wooden boxes the size of a matrass, fill it with glasswool, cover it with fabric and staple that to the wall. The wife should be happy if you use her choice of fabric?

And I suggest to keep 12dB headroom in your recordings on what you think will be the loudest volume.

Do they have inflatable pianos?
Posted by: earlofmar

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/04/13 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: peterws
Mine`s in somewhere . . . it`s about the only piece of music I`ve been really pleased with. Mainly because I no longer have the piano!! I miss it . . gone forever!!! frown frown frown

Have you upgraded, downgraded or taken up ukulele?
Posted by: Anne H

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/04/13 10:53 PM

Yay, I did it! Despite having work eat my entire schedule, I got something in. I looked over the rest of the list so far and I'm already looking forward to several of the selections - it looks like a great mix of things.
Posted by: MaryBee

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/04/13 11:25 PM

(I have a nearly full size inflatable referee that I blow up and then whack about a few times just to vent my built up physical frustrations. It actually works pretty well. Sometimes I even throw in a roundhouse karate kick to the inflatable refs inflatable head. The problem with that though is there is very little resistance to stop the forward momentum of your foot once you hit your target (the refs inflatable head) so you ultimately end up falling to the ground and landing on your sore hip. That sucks!
I think you ought to use that for your accompanying video.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/05/13 07:00 AM

Good thing we have another weekend to go, because I'm going to need it! It's been awhile since I've had so much difficulty with a piece. Oh well, that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger...

Sam

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/05/13 07:28 AM

Hunky, are you serious? Tell us you're kidding, please.

How many other recordings will you make to pander to or satisfy the personal preferences (no matter how arbitrary they are) of others who will be participating/listening, and who are equally serious about their music and appreciation of it? How about a harpsichord recording of your piece in a bat cave during a thunderstorm for those of us who like the weirder stuff?

Do you really, honestly believe that anyone can tell the difference between an acoustic and a good digital (given enough random test samples), except by a lucky guess?

You were pulling our legs, right?

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/05/13 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn

How many other recordings will you make to pander to or satisfy the personal preferences (no matter how arbitrary they are) of others who will be participating/listening, and who are equally serious about their music and appreciation of it? How about a harpsichord recording of your piece in a bat cave during a thunderstorm for those of us who like the weirder stuff?

Do you really, honestly believe that anyone can tell the difference between an acoustic and a good digital (given enough random test samples), except by a lucky guess?

Good point, TrapperJohn.
I never understood the point of view of Wouter... maybe I missed a thread where he explained why he comments (and listens?) only pieces played on acoustics.
Anyway, I love to hear all the submissions. I know everybody is doing their best and working hard for our PW Recitals and, for me, that's the point. Acoustic or Digital, it's not an issue. What does it matter?

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/05/13 08:35 AM

How about a harpsichord recording of your piece in a bat cave during a thunderstorm for those of us who like the weirder stuff?

woo-hoo, I would love that! grin

I'm sure of one thing: oftentimes recordings from digitals sound better, because recording an acoustic is not so easy, and not everybody has the perfect equipment. And then, you're creating a compressed digital file in both cases! But in the end it's not much about sound quality, but about the time and effort devoted by the performer, isn't it?

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/05/13 08:38 AM

Well put Trapper. I for one could care less if someone is performing on acoustic or digital. This is not a Berkley School of Music recital and none of us are professional music teachers.... we are all amateurs here and I would never think to judge anyone on the sound of his or her piano much less refuse to even listen... Could you imagine what a snotty cluster *&%^ this recital would turn into if we all did that?

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/05/13 08:57 AM

What happened ?

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/05/13 09:04 AM

I don't understand why are you attacking Mr Super-Hunky for doing me a favour. And indirectly attaching me.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that people listening seriously to the ABF recordings can tell the difference between a digital and an acoustic recording.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/05/13 01:31 PM

Wouter, I`ve just seen what you`re doin` in the recital! A big fave of mine; I couldn`t do that piano solo to save my life.

Now, how ya gonna get THAT piano sound? grin Have fun!

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/05/13 02:23 PM

I didn't save my contact ID for the submission because I usually get an e-mail that contains the number in it. Only I didn't get that e-mail this time. Now, I want to edit my piece description. The Adagio is the 2nd movement in the Beethoven Piano Sonata, not the 3rd!! Duh!!!!!!

Is there any way I can get back in?

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/05/13 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: dynamobt
I didn't save my contact ID for the submission because I usually get an e-mail that contains the number in it. Only I didn't get that e-mail this time. Now, I want to edit my piece description. The Adagio is the 2nd movement in the Beethoven Piano Sonata, not the 3rd!! Duh!!!!!!

Is there any way I can get back in?

I sent you the magic code in a PM. Of course, you must guard that 20 digit hexadecimal number with your life - can't have someone else editing your submission!

Sam

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/05/13 03:52 PM

Wouter, I`ve just seen what you`re doin` in the recital! A big fave of mine; I couldn`t do that piano solo to save my life.

Now, how ya gonna get THAT piano sound? grin Have fun!

Thanks! Now I'd love to hear what you think about THAT piano sound after listening very carefully to my version. I'm talking about the dynamics, timbre, and phrasing. It is quite hard to hear THAT piano sound separated from the rest of the band, particularly from the bass player who is 'boosting' the bass notes. But if you can hear THAT piano in isolation, I really like to hear what you hear :-)

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/05/13 05:35 PM

THAT could be difficult! But I see what ya mean! You can get away with a lot when you have "Band-Aid"

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/05/13 10:54 PM

Trapper I'm serious. Wouter puts a lot of time and effort into his performances as well as takes time to do a thorough review of anyone's performance who asks. At first I thought Wouter was a typical forum troll (remember the whole "what do you do about a problem named Maria thing?") but he has since proven himself to be serious about his piano studies as well as the comments he gives others.

For some reason, he cannot stand the sound of digital pianos. I personally have absolutely no preference as I've stated many times that it is the melody that pops my cork, not any particular sound signature. But that doesn't mean he should be forced to listen to it. Just like I shouldn't be forced to eat liver if I don't like it but everyone else does.

How many other recordings will you make to pander to or satisfy the personal preferences (no matter how arbitrary they are) of others who will be participating/listening, and who are equally serious about their music and appreciation of it?

Six. I will make up to six custom (random or arbitrary) recordings for others who request them. After that I will charge money and then nobody else will want one so six is obviously the correct number.

How about a harpsichord recording of your piece in a bat cave during a thunderstorm for those of us who like the weirder stuff?

Okay, I'll do it. My digital does have a harpsichord setting and dipping my toes in bat guano whilst performing a sensual moving piece does sound like a party. How freaky do you want this thing to get? I've got access to farm animals and know a few strippers who need some cash. Let's not hold anything back this time as I'm also feeling mavericky!

Yes, and no. Just depends on your level of acuity. I will say that I do have a very good digital and a very good acoustic and I NEVER confuse the two. Having said that, I purposely chose to record my next recital piece on the digital because I just could not get the acoustics right on the acoustic with this piece.

No, that was Peyton. He pulls legs to the right. He's a known right leg puller. Everyone knows I only pull arms and always to the left. Never to the right.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/05/13 10:58 PM

laugh laugh laugh

First I listened to an old Jack Benny show someone over in the Piano Forum linked to, and now this. It's been a good 3/4 hour smile

Cathy
Posted by: Whizbang

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/06/13 12:14 AM

Six. I will make up to six custom (random or arbitrary) recordings for others who request them. After that I will charge money and then nobody else will want one so six is obviously the correct number.

Blonde wig, man-kini, shiny gold pumps. Toss your wig hair... just... so. Yeeessss.

Digital or acoustic, your preference.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/06/13 04:29 AM

I can only do the recording this week-end, but I follow with interest the list of pieces already submitted.

I noticed that Anne H sent the "Canzone popolare (France, 1500 ca.)" (Ludovico Einaudi). I remember how this piece is sweet and it reminded me that I have not yet written the version I made last year... crazy
And Monica sent the "Waterways" by Einaudi - I suppose... - Is this YOUR version, Monica?

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/06/13 06:27 AM

Okay, I'll do it. My digital does have a harpsichord setting and dipping my toes in bat guano whilst performing a sensual moving piece does sound like a party. How freaky do you want this thing to get? I've got access to farm animals and know a few strippers who need some cash. Let's not hold anything back this time as I'm also feeling mavericky!

No, that's no good - we can't accept digital simulations - it must be a real harpsichord (wouter isn't the only one with arbitrary preferences!) - you'll have to rent one and haul it to the cave and drag it in there, but be sure to clean it well before returning to the store...

And how is it that you know a few strippers? Play piano for them in the clubs in your wild, impetuous youth? You rascal you...

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/06/13 09:59 AM

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
And Monica sent the "Waterways" by Einaudi - I suppose... - Is this YOUR version, Monica?

Not this time, Carlos. I love the intro to Waterways that he plays on the iTunes Festival version, but I didn't have the time to work out by ear what he was doing. So my version is true to the sheet music, except for a couple of chords that I had to rewrite because his hands are WAAAAYYYYY bigger than mine!
Posted by: Copper

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/06/13 03:34 PM

I'm in. This might be about as early as I have been. I was trying something a little different and I thought it would take me longer but I recorded it today and it came out ok and I didn't have to staple any comforter to the wall or anything. So I'm in.

I think this piece is written for 3 hands, at least I can't get these 2 old hands to play all the notes. It may actually just be written for Garage Band or something like that where you don't need any hands at all. So I recorded it then recorded over it with the 3rd hand.

Anyway I'm in, good luck with the red dot.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/07/13 07:04 AM

I didn't think I was going to be able to bring it all together and had all but resolved to give this recital a miss. However after a couple of intense sessions and a severe lowering of my standards I have uploaded my submission. In at 29 with a bullet, feel like celebrating.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/07/13 09:24 AM

Congratulations earlofmar, what a feat to learn an entire sonatina!

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/07/13 10:50 AM

Well, earlofmar, I think you should celebrate. And then come back and edit your submission comments (which won't change your submission place) and tell us what you did.

If it's tellable, of course smile

Cathy
Posted by: -Frycek

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/08/13 02:00 PM

Bump

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/08/13 02:25 PM

I'm still struggling to get a decent recording - spent an hour today at it - but it's good practice...

Sam

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/08/13 05:18 PM

Mine's in! Amazingly, I got two good recordings in one sitting. The difficult part was trying to decide which one to use. That's a first for me. Relaxing now, and looking forward to enjoying everyone's playing in another week.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/08/13 05:24 PM

Congratulations, MaryBee. I just got mine set up for recording, and am warming up. So we'll see in awhile!

Cathy
Posted by: Andy Platt

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/08/13 11:01 PM

I'm getting closer ... what I recorded tonight could be improved on but it might end up getting submitted.

It's funny - I usually don't like the action on one of the pianos at my teacher's studio because it's quite heavy. But the other week I performed my piece really well during the lesson on the piano. I think the heavy action caused me to slow down just a couple of percent and it was perfect. I'd like to slow it down a teeny bit on my piano but it seems to want to keep accelerating and then the inconsistencies creep back in!

Anyone want to hear a metronome on my recording (just kidding!)
Posted by: Allard

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/09/13 03:30 PM

In at number 32 for recital number 32 laugh More Einaudi!

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/09/13 06:08 PM

mad cursing mad cursing mad cursing mad cursing mad cursing
I was three hours trying to record the piece from the piano to the computer...
The final sound has a background noise that sounds like a radio of the 40s ... The problem seems to be the drivers of the computer - a new computer! - and I do not have privileges to install the newest drivers because it's a company computer and the configuration is protected.

I'm really angry and sad... frown

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/09/13 10:20 PM

Oh, that's so frustrating, Carlos! frown Do you know anybody with something like a Zoom that you can borrow? Some people have pretty good luck using their smartphones, too.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 09:52 AM

I'm in at #32. What a struggle! These long pieces really are difficult to record. It's impossible for me to play for that long without mistakes - I can't play for 2 and a half minutes without mistakes...

Sam

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 10:52 AM

Hey, it beats my 2 1/2 seconds.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 03:33 PM

I'm in at #32. What a struggle! These long pieces really are difficult to record. It's impossible for me to play for that long without mistakes - I can't play for 2 and a half minutes without mistakes...

Sam

Sam... my feelings exactly... I can do all the parts without a mistake but as soon as I put the whole thing together and try to record it's like "Wack a Mole". I never know which section I'm going to screw up on next. For my Arabeske I had to settle for two glaring mistakes. I just did not have any more time to record. (The worst is when you go the full 6 minutes and then ruin the last 10 seconds... Aghhhhhhh!!!)

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 03:43 PM

Sam

I'm in the same boat with my piece this month. Oh, the many times I played nearly completely thought only to blow it right at the end. I so wish I could splice recordings!! But, I haven't a clue how. So, I finally settled on one attempt that simply had to be "good enough"! A couple of glaring mistakes exist. So be it!!

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 04:26 PM

I so wish I could splice recordings!! But, I haven't a clue how. So, I finally settled on one attempt that simply had to be "good enough"! A couple of glaring mistakes exist. So be it!!

You know I thought the same thing. But I do have the capabilities to splice (and actually did put one together) but in the end thought it would kind of spoil the whole recital feeling... at least for me. I would have ended up with a much better recording but not a real recital piece.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Peyton

I so wish I could splice recordings!! But, I haven't a clue how. So, I finally settled on one attempt that simply had to be "good enough"! A couple of glaring mistakes exist. So be it!!

You know I thought the same thing. But I do have the capabilities to splice (and actually did put one together) but in the end thought it would kind of spoil the whole recital feeling... at least for me. I would have ended up with a much better recording but not a real recital piece.

Capability or not, I also have taken much more of a "recital" view to these recordings than one would take in a true recording studio. I practice until I feel very comfortable. Then I give it my best effort. I'll start over if I make a mistake so big it halts me in my tracks. But, mostly I just keep going as if I was in a real recital. Often, I get a good recording on one take. This time was different. I did make mistakes big enough that my fingers got in a jumble. I came to a full stop. After that, there was no sense in continuing. So, it was start over. It got kind of frustrating!!! I gave up on one day's attempts completely. I had better luck the next day. Thank goodness!!!! If recording had gone on to day 3 I would not have been happy!! These are major works we are attempting. So, that's pretty good right there. I look forward to hearing the Arabesque. I've played it in recital. It was kind of my 'breakthrough" piece that has led me to more difficult works. Can't wait to hear everyone's pieces!!!

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 06:24 PM

The worst thing is the agonizing pause when my brain freezes and I can't make my fingers form the next chord. In practice this doesn't happen, I just play it wrong. But when the red dot is on everything is different.

Sam
Posted by: lyricmudra

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 06:47 PM

Ahh... the red dot phenomenon. While I rarely get a brain freeze (maybe because I don't memorize; I play with the music sheet in front of me all the time), my palms start sweating. When not recording, they are ALWAYS dry. I sometimes have to stop in the middle of a recording to wipe the piano keys and dry my palms in front of a fan!! I've even tried talcum powder on my palms but that only made things worse! :-( My best solution so far is to lower the temperature of the house to 60 to 65 degrees during recording.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: lyricmudra
my palms start sweating. When not recording, they are ALWAYS dry. I sometimes have to stop in the middle of a recording to wipe the piano keys and dry my palms in front of a fan!! I've even tried talcum powder on my palms but that only made things worse!

Interesting.....I don't start sweating uncontrollably until after I have submitted the thing, lol

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 08:37 PM

The worst thing is the agonizing pause when my brain freezes and I can't make my fingers form the next chord. In practice this doesn't happen, I just play it wrong. But when the red dot is on everything is different.

Sam

Yea, when I'm recording my brain does things it NEVER does when just playing. It starts going "Oh wow, I'm half way through. You know I never REALLY looked at my fingers at this point and now I'm looking down and I really shouldn't because I never do when I play it well and it might make me mess up and.... dang." OR... the worst is "Oh wow, I'm almost all the way through and all I have to do is get past these last measures and I just can't mess up, I just can't.... DANG!!" When I just practice I never think like that. I guess that's why there is the adage "Practice like you are performing and perform like you are practicing." Sounds good on paper.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 08:51 PM

Too funny, Peyton!!! But you nailed it!!!

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 09:40 PM

I'll start over if I make a mistake so big it halts me in my tracks. But, mostly I just keep going as if I was in a real recital. Often, I get a good recording on one take. This time was different. I did make mistakes big enough that my fingers got in a jumble. I came to a full stop. After that, there was no sense in continuing. So, it was start over. It got kind of frustrating!!!
Even when I make a huge mistake, I usually keep on recording, even if I know that take is going to get thrown away. That way I get a little more practice playing to the red dot, and I often find the places later in the piece that are going to mess me up next time if I don't work them out now. Besides, I would get really bored playing that first page over and over again, and never getting to the end!

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 09:47 PM

My best solution so far is to lower the temperature of the house to 60 to 65 degrees during recording.
I sometimes do that too, but for a different reason. If I don't, it is inevitably that for every cold-weather recital the furnace will kick on right in the middle of my best recording. Of course I forgot to turn it down for this recital. You'll probably be able to hear the loud blower in the background of my recording. *blah*

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryBee
I'll start over if I make a mistake so big it halts me in my tracks. But, mostly I just keep going as if I was in a real recital. Often, I get a good recording on one take. This time was different. I did make mistakes big enough that my fingers got in a jumble. I came to a full stop. After that, there was no sense in continuing. So, it was start over. It got kind of frustrating!!!
Even when I make a huge mistake, I usually keep on recording, even if I know that take is going to get thrown away. That way I get a little more practice playing to the red dot, and I often find the places later in the piece that are going to mess me up next time if I don't work them out now. Besides, I would get really bored playing that first page over and over again, and never getting to the end!

That's a really good idea!! Next recording session, this is what I will do.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 09:59 PM

My best solution so far is to lower the temperature of the house to 60 to 65 degrees during recording.
I sometimes do that too, but for a different reason. If I don't, it is inevitably that for every cold-weather recital the furnace will kick on right in the middle of my best recording. Of course I forgot to turn it down for this recital. You'll probably be able to hear the loud blower in the background of my recording. *blah*

LOL, Marybee. I do turn off the furnace ... and all the ringers of phones around the house, cellphone, and computer loudspeaker (which sometimes loudly announces updates in my security software).

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 10:00 PM

Sam

Yea, when I'm recording my brain does things it NEVER does when just playing. It starts going "Oh wow, I'm half way through. You know I never REALLY looked at my fingers at this point and now I'm looking down and I really shouldn't because I never do when I play it well and it might make me mess up and.... dang." OR... the worst is "Oh wow, I'm almost all the way through and all I have to do is get past these last measures and I just can't mess up, I just can't.... DANG!!" When I just practice I never think like that. I guess that's why there is the adage "Practice like you are performing and perform like you are practicing." Sounds good on paper.

So accurate, Peyton!! :-)

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 10:01 PM

Oh, I forgot another one I do when recording... I start speeding up... no doubt in hopes I can get through it faster before I make a mistake. It's kind of like speeding up in a car so you can get to the gas station before running out of gas...

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/10/13 10:18 PM

Oh, I forgot another one I do when recording... I start speeding up... no doubt in hopes I can get through it faster before I make a mistake. It's kind of like speeding up in a car so you can get to the gas station before running out of gas...

Almost all my recorded performances have been faster than my practices. I believe it is because when I speed up, it keeps me from thinking, anticipating, and evaluating the ongoing performance ... less intrusive thoughts going on.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 01:33 AM

I have a recording I'll use if I have to. But I'll be the poster girl, again, for Sam's "agonizing pause" and Peyton's "get past the last measure" laugh But I'm not submitting yet - I may still get a cleaner recording. On Thursday. Yikes.

Cathy

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 08:16 AM

I tried again this morning and got a "better" recording - a little slower. So I resubmitted - everybody below me moves up one!

Sam
Posted by: Ragdoll

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 08:27 AM

[quote=dynamobt]

I am so glad to see this subject discussed here. I have often wondered if people actually do this in the recitals. Not to seem snarky but I would view this as a blatant "cheat". I have no patience with that and unless I can get a clean ( surely if not perfect) recording then, well, I'm just not going to post as if I had recorded this as presented. Thanks Peyton and dynamobt. I was beginning to think my green eyed monster was emerging in my thinking. frown
Posted by: ElleC

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 09:04 AM

Looking forward to #32 Sand Tiger. I love that song....I walked down the aisle to that last year.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 09:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Ragdoll

I am so glad to see this subject discussed here. I have often wondered if people actually do this in the recitals. Not to seem snarky but I would view this as a blatant "cheat". I have no patience with that and unless I can get a clean ( surely if not perfect) recording then, well, I'm just not going to post as if I had recorded this as presented. Thanks Peyton and dynamobt. I was beginning to think my green eyed monster was emerging in my thinking. frown

As splicing, editing, and otherwise whitewashing one's recordings seems to be the professional norm, calling an amateur availing him or herself if this facility a "blatant cheat" seems a bit extreme. The recital is neither a competition nor an audition. Pieces submitted to be enjoyed not judged.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 10:02 AM

As far as splicing goes... I have no problem with anyone doing it as long as they let it be known that's what they have done. It becomes more of a "recording" than a recital piece. Not that there is anything wrong with that... smile

If someone implied they had played a piece all the way through but in fact spliced... well, to me that would be kind of cheating.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 10:17 AM

If someone implied they had played a piece all the way through but in fact spliced... well, to me that would be kind of cheating.

Now this strikes me as an appropriate application for "don't ask, don't tell." wink

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 10:28 AM

It`s def. not easy to get a decent recording over a protracted time, like anything bovver 3 min, sometimes less, in a certain time scale. I did a two part rendition of French Suite No5 (it lends itself to that) but when I learned to play it "as written" (lol) I managed it in one!! Once . . . . . . wink

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 10:31 AM

I tried again this morning and got a "better" recording - a little slower. So I resubmitted - everybody below me moves up one!Sam

You're resubmitting pieces, and I haven't even managed to send mine... frown

Tonight, I'm going to use another computer to (try to) record the piece. I'll be happy if I can send a file to the recital, no matter the level of playing... At this point I can't be too picky.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 10:39 AM

...It becomes more of a "recording" than a recital piece.

But that's the "problem", that it is indeed a recording. Even if you think of it as a live recital, you're still going to record your piece many times before getting a recording that you're willing to submit - and that's not cheating, right? Sometimes I think I would be less nervous in a recital with actual people listening to me (well not many!) than when I record. A recital comes and goes and listeners probably forget your mistakes or don't even hear them, while a recording is there forever.

That said, the ABF recital is a great chance to practice "performance", to try and play a piece from beginning to end without stopping, to learn how to play through mistakes etc. But alas, it is a recording after all.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 11:24 AM

Seriously, I recorded my piece well over 300 times to get half a dozen more or less acceptable recordings. I played my piece straight through at least 10 times every day for the last month or more before I submitted it. Every time I played it through I had the Zoom on. For the majority of the time the goal wasn't so much a clean recording as to gradually overcome a severe red dot phobia/ allergy. (My hands have been know to morph into crab claws. ). I regarded the recording as a sort of aversion therapy like getting a war horse used to noise and smoke.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 01:04 PM

[quote=-Frycek]Seriously, I recorded my piece well over 300 times to get half a dozen more or less acceptable recordings. I played my piece straight through at least 10 times every day for the last month or more before I submitted it. Every time I played it through I had the Zoom on.

THAT is dedication/perserverance/stubbornality (one `l`or two?) all rolled into one! What a guy!!
Posted by: casinitaly

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 01:27 PM

I've barely had time to touch the piano for the last 10 days! Mamma mia.

I hope I can have a calm moment tomorrow for recording!

Looks like a great line up so far, that's for sure!

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: casinitaly

"Calm moments" are out there. From my research, it appears that they come about the day after you submit!

But hey, at least they are out there! Sanity WILL prevail. When?, the day after you submit!

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: sinophilia
...It becomes more of a "recording" than a recital piece.

But that's the "problem", that it is indeed a recording. Even if you think of it as a live recital, you're still going to record your piece many times before getting a recording that you're willing to submit - and that's not cheating, right? Sometimes I think I would be less nervous in a recital with actual people listening to me (well not many!) than when I record. A recital comes and goes and listeners probably forget your mistakes or don't even hear them, while a recording is there forever.

Right, here I am recording it over and over to get a take that I'm not too embarrassed to submit. Not exactly a live recital where you get one chance. So I can't fault people for editing their recordings if that's what they want to do.

And my memory of my "live" recitals is usually much better than I really played. Last summer when I played the Arabeske live I made mistakes. I had someone recording it for me in the audience. Afterwards I got some good comments and I was feeling pretty good about it. Then I made the mistake of listening to the recording - yikes! Much better to delete the recording and remember the good parts of the performance.

Sam

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 04:04 PM

Quote:
calling an amateur availing him or herself if this facility a "blatant cheat" seems a bit extreme.

Well it's certainly dishonest if it's not acknowledged. I realize it's not a competition but when a piece is posted then one assumes the person posting can actually play it as represented. Sorry if this offends you but clipping and enhancing the ambience is a lot different IMO than recording hands separate and putting them together via software or mechanics. And for the record I wasn't accusing anyone it was academic not judgmental. You're correct it's to be enjoyed and I do enjoy them. I think I must have hit a nerve or two. smile

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 04:13 PM

recording hands separate and putting them together via software or mechanics

I wasn't defending anything as deceptive as that nor do I imagine anyone else was. And I seriously doubt than any of the present company are so desperate for recognition that they would feel the need to go to such lengths.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 04:28 PM

Gee, I started something with my "splicing" comment. I was sort of kidding!! I wouldn't do it even if I I was able. But, I have no problem with how anyone gets a recording done to be submitted on ABF. If it's you playing in all segments, so what if it's in more than one take? But, I think every one of us really looks at these recitals as if they were real RECITALS. You play your best, or at least the best you can catch in a recording. And put it out there for everyone to hear. It is like a recital of sorts. And I think this is a very special thing we do here on PW hosting organized recitals. It's pushed me in a way lessons had not. I think that's true for most of us.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 04:42 PM

Quote:
calling an amateur availing him or herself if this facility a "blatant cheat" seems a bit extreme.

Well it's certainly dishonest if it's not acknowledged. I realize it's not a competition but when a piece is posted then one assumes the person posting can actually play it as represented. Sorry if this offends you but clipping and enhancing the ambience is a lot different IMO than recording hands separate and putting them together via software or mechanics. And for the record I wasn't accusing anyone it was academic not judgmental. You're correct it's to be enjoyed and I do enjoy them. I think I must have hit a nerve or two. smile

Yea, when I think of "splicing" I think of recording a number of times then picking out different sections that worked and splicing the whole thing together. I would imagine that some pros do that. It's fairly easy and hard to pick up on, especially if there are pauses. I would call that a "constructed recording". (And again, I have absolutely no problem with that and would do it if I had to for a good recording. But I would not do it for a "recital" piece.) More like a collage than a true performance. Playing one hand and then recording the other would be more of an "overdubbing".

And I agree, in the end we are all doing "recordings" as I doubt there are too many of us that can get the job done in one take. A true recital would be..."Here I go, one take, live..." I think I'll have to sit back and watch if we ever go there. I've been in a few true recitals and can you spell "panic attack"? smile

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 05:08 PM

I have yet to see a live piano performance in which the pianist performs their piece in layered, 'multi-track' sections. Probably because this would not be a solo piano performance but rather a display in multi-track recording and overlaying.

There is no grey area here. Your submitted performance is either a single pass recording (irregardless of how many 'takes' it took to get it), or it's not.

We have never limited the recitals to 'solo piano' only, but we have been VERY clear about representing your true abilities when it comes to your submitted performances.

Personally, I don't see the compatibility with layering (overlaying) anything as this is a beginners forum. If you don't have the ability to play a difficult section, or it is more complicated than your abilities then you are only fooling yourself (and everyone else) that you can play it by overlaying it.

A better suggestion may be to spend more time actually learning the section that is being overlay-ed, or choose a piece that better represents your abilities.

Now let's be clear, I am NOT talking about added in flute or strings sections. You know what I mean.

I'm not even talking about a piece that calls for three hands, so you overlay-ed the third (and disclosed it).

I'm only talking about recording a 2-handed performance in sections, and then splicing it all together and presenting it to us as a one take recording. That's cheating (technically, misrepresentation).

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: casinitaly

"Calm moments" are out there. From my research, it appears that they come about the day after you submit!

But hey, at least they are out there! Sanity WILL prevail. When?, the day after you submit!

Sanity is already returning.
We finished stage 1 of the kitchen renovations, I conquered the software for updating my GPS (which ate up 2 days of my time...how sad!) AND we went away for a 4 day weekend.(Wonderful!)

This coming week is going to be pretty tame smile
Posted by: Greener

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/11/13 06:24 PM

Yea, when I think of "splicing" I think of recording a number of times then picking out different sections that worked and splicing the whole thing together. I would imagine that some pros do that.

Yes, of course they do. They may also be playing to a click. And sometimes even -- unbeknownst to the audience -- be playing to a click in live performances.

My feeling is that your recording should be in keeping with the spirit of the recital, which I believe, is to show your progress to date with the piece you have chosen. Over doctoring your submission, would not be in keeping with this spirit.

However, pasting a couple of major sections together to get a decent recording ... personally, I have no problem with that. I agree though, that it can easily become a grey area and preference should always be towards a single pass.

just my two bits though
Posted by: Copper

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/12/13 04:45 PM

I'm just catching up on this conversation. I'm glad I posted when I did.

Just to be clear I recorded my piece for this recital then recorded over it to get in the part that I believe was written for a "3rd hand". I just made up that "3rd hand" term. It's not in the sheet music I have or anything.

One of the first copies I saw of this piece was on a You Tube video of a garage band recording and it was written as three tracks played together. So that is where I got the idea of using the 3rd hand. I imagine a skilled pianist could play this part with 2 hands, but it is beyond me.

Anyway, I'm happy I disclosed this before this discussion about disclosing this sort of recording. To be honest my piano playing is so weak it's not going to fool anyone no matter what kind of recording techniques I might use.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/12/13 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Copper

Just to be clear I recorded my piece for this recital then recorded over it to get in the part that I believe was written for a "3rd hand". I just made up that "3rd hand" term. It's not in the sheet music I have or anything.

One of the first copies I saw of this piece was on a You Tube video of a garage band recording and it was written as three tracks played together. So that is where I got the idea of using the 3rd hand. I imagine a skilled pianist could play this part with 2 hands, but it is beyond me.

Anyway, I'm happy I disclosed this before this discussion about disclosing this sort of recording. To be honest my piano playing is so weak it's not going to fool anyone no matter what kind of recording techniques I might use.

Don`t worry man! Just have fun. Some folk actually take music seriously . . . .!! smile

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/12/13 05:46 PM

OK, I'm in.
But the sound quality is not good...

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/12/13 06:20 PM

Glad you made it CarlosCC, looking forward to hearing all the Einaudi pieces, who, by slim margin is the most popular composer of this recital

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/12/13 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Copper

Copper, I'm glad you disclosed (up front) what you did so there was absolutely no miscommunication or misrepresentation whatsoever. That's the correct way to do it.

My only general concern is that more and more people are overlaying (multi-track recording) sections of their performance and handing it in as their finished product. Some disclose this, and some don't.

Once again, the momentum of the actions taken when this is done is not in the spirit and not compatible with the intentions of a 'beginner' learning forum. (overlaying sections that are beyond your current playing abilities). Others may disagree with me on this but after building many custom homes, I can honestly say that it doesn't matter how nice anything else on the house is if you didn't get the foundation right. You will fight that problem forever.

'Overylaying', (multi-track recording), may also intimidate other performers who can't produce these 'enhanced' musically performed sections because they don't have these photo sound shop capabilities.

We probably should just fine-tune a few of the (thankfully) barely noticeable rules that we have and just state that full (and honest) disclosure be done.

The thing is, we already have a HUGE, unfair advantage doing an 'e-cital' as opposed to a live one since we have literally unlimited takes to get a decent recording. The people who must misrepresent their abilities by not disclosing their editing are being unfair to everyone participating.

We already have the home field/dealers advantage. No need to ask for more.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/12/13 07:49 PM

Alas, even splicing or overlaying won't save me :\

laugh

Cathy

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 07:52 AM

Well, I realized I wouldn't have time to record anything better than what I had in the can already so there it is, #41.

Wow, it's a Debussy packed recital - 5 pieces so far! Looking forward to the weekend ....

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 08:25 AM

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
Glad you made it CarlosCC, looking forward to hearing all the Einaudi pieces, who, by slim margin is the most popular composer of this recital

Well, I think I still have some energy to record my piece again using a different combination of hardware. I don't like the noise that is heard during the piece.
Anyway, the piece was submitted and I will not delete it (+1 for Einaudi)

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 09:52 AM

Well, I think I still have some energy to record my piece again using a different combination of hardware. I don't like the noise that is heard during the piece.

If you let your recording run for a few seconds before starting to play, Audacity has a great plugin that will sample this ambient noise and then filter it out of the entire recording. You may lose a little overall tone in the process, but it's fantastic for reducing hiss.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 09:54 AM

The final sound has a background noise that sounds like a radio of the 40s ... The problem seems to be the drivers of the computer - a new computer! - and I do not have privileges to install the newest drivers because it's a company computer and the configuration is protected.

Those so-and-sos. You should demand that they give you studio time again! smile

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 09:57 AM

Oh, the many times I played nearly completely thought only to blow it right at the end.

I wound up doing the opposite... flubbed on the very first measure, but decided to plow forward anyway, and that was my final take.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 10:28 AM

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH

If you let your recording run for a few seconds before starting to play, Audacity has a great plugin that will sample this ambient noise and then filter it out of the entire recording. You may lose a little overall tone in the process, but it's fantastic for reducing hiss.

Will filter out the sound of a washing machine running on the other side of the wall? :-)

Sam

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 10:30 AM

In @ #43, right after Cheryl.

Cheryl -- Please, please, please, don't re-record. I do NOT want to follow Dr Gradus ad Parnassum. cool

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 10:32 AM

Will filter out the sound of a washing machine running on the other side of the wall? :-)

Give it a try, it just might... along with all the harmonics of the piano in that same range.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 11:19 AM

Those so-and-sos. You should demand that they give you studio time again! smile

Btw, I requested some help to the studio guy and he told me that most of (new) computers doesn't have good soundboards. "That's why people work in studios..." he said... Anyway, he offered his studio for an hour, but he could only work with me next Saturday - too late for the recital!! frown

Thanks for the tips thumb. The problem is limited to some "pops" and "clicks" and I used Audicity and other free tools with all the filters and possible options, but the root cause is the soundcard... So, my last chance is to recover my old desktop computer and try again.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 11:51 AM

In @ #43, right after Cheryl.

Cheryl -- Please, please, please, don't re-record. I do NOT want to follow Dr Gradus ad Parnassum. cool

I wouldn't worry too much! smile

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 11:57 AM

Please don't apply such a filter.

I did use it once for speech and it sounded garbled. Like it had been thrown through a very low quality mpeg encoder. Yes it removed the hiss but much more than that...

People can all apply such a filter themselves if they think it's necessary.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 02:17 PM

I agree. The music is more than just "audio" with all it`s imperfections! In fact, it`s more than just piano too.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 02:22 PM

Wouter may have had a bad experience with this, but it worked well for me, this time around anyway. If you listen to my MP3 (filtered) vs. YouTube (not filtered) you can judge for yourselves. smile

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 02:42 PM

Well guys, this is my 1000th post and I would like to say that I feel very honored to belong to this community. Thank you all!!

Now, more good news: Finally I have a MP3 with good sound quality. Uffff, what a relief! thumb
Looking forward to listen all the pieces.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 03:03 PM

Contrats, Carlos, on reaching your 1000th post! And what better post to commemorate it with than announcing your successful recording for the recital!

(Here I must confess that I have been waiting to hear your take on Two Trees for so long that I shamelessly abused my recital admin privileges to check it out--er, that is, I wanted to assure you of its sound quality--and it was worth all your agonizing! Beautiful performance, great sound quality. thumb I like how you improvised the Live From Home variations, too!)

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 05:59 PM

This has got to be a record - or something odd floating around in the world wide interwebs - there are FIVE pieces by Debussy in this recital.

Sam

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 07:25 PM

This has got to be a record - or something odd floating around in the world wide interwebs - there are FIVE pieces by Debussy in this recital and only one by Chuck Berry grin .

Sam

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 09:18 PM

I'm in. I skipped Roaring Jelly jam (sic) this evening to try to get something I was happier with than just "I guess I can live with it." So now I'll turn my attention more towards the Joplin recital - if I can get that even to this tempo I'll be amazed happy.

I am really looking forward to this recital - and I have Friday free! so I can listen when it comes online! yea!

Cathy

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 09:52 PM

Wouter may have had a bad experience with this, but it worked well for me, this time around anyway. If you listen to my MP3 (filtered) vs. YouTube (not filtered) you can judge for yourselves. smile
A while ago I tried that filter in Audacity too, but without success. The resulting sounds was garbled and didn't sound at all like my piano. frown I decided to live with the hiss.
Posted by: stumbler

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 09:53 PM

Well, I've submitted Faure's Pavane, but I hope no one shoots the piano player.

Nice list of submissions, I'm looking forward to this.

BTW, while Debussy may have 5 submissions, the total Faure count will be tripled after this recital.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/13/13 10:31 PM

A while ago I tried that filter in Audacity too, but without success. The resulting sounds was garbled and didn't sound at all like my piano. frown I decided to live with the hiss.

I wonder if it's been improved recently then? I had the same problem back when I tried to use it with my 1st recital submission back in February, and I wound up living with the hiss, or I think I dialed it back only minimally. This time, it worked like a charm and I didn't even have to change anything from the default settings. The effect I'm referring to is just called "Noise Removal".

One key to using it effectively is that you have to get an absolutely dead silent spot (aside from the hiss) from your recording.
Posted by: AimeeO

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/14/13 01:05 AM

Ok - in at least 19 hours earlier than I usually am, but even more unprepared than usual. If I get home in time tomorrow, I might try again. This is the only night I had to record and we all know how THAT works out..

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/14/13 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: stumbler
Well, I've submitted Faure's Pavane, but I hope no one shoots the piano player.

Nice list of submissions, I'm looking forward to this.

BTW, while Debussy may have 5 submissions, the total Faure count will be tripled after this recital.

I bet! Such a beautiful piece.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/14/13 04:15 AM

Well, I managed to get a recording done yesterday. Whew. I thought I was going to miss this recital!

I had a look at the recent submissions and see even MORE wonderful pieces I'm really looking forward to hearing!

Carlos, I'm so glad you got your problems sorted out!

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/14/13 07:04 AM

Quote:
I had a look at the recent submissions and see even MORE wonderful pieces I'm really looking forward to hearing!

Hi Cas,
me too but, I sometimes get confused with dates and sorts of different recitals, when will these be available for listening?

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/14/13 07:13 AM

Quote:

Hi Cas,
me too but, I sometimes get confused with dates and sorts of different recitals, when will these be available for listening?

If you go to recitals.pianoworld.com , there is a handy countdown timer to when the recital goes live (more or less, depending on when the lovely and gracious Monica works her magic). There will be two threads in this forum - one for the recordings and one for comments.

Sam

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/14/13 07:43 AM

Thanks Sam,
I do have this link on the desktop, I guess I just never noticed a "countdown" thingy. I'll look again. BTW, your effort at keeping this recital collection available is much appreciated. <insert standing ovation>

Oops different link to the page for submitting pieces. I see the countdown now grin I was thinking of where we can actually listen. Thanks Monika AND Sam.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/14/13 11:52 AM

<-- Looks up from where she's been busy ironing her "AB Forum Recital" superhero cloak in readiness for tonight's festivities.

Ragdoll, the recital closes at 9:00 pm. Not long after that (10-15 min) I'll start the main recital thread, which will have a link to the online streaming player that will let you start listening right away. Creating and uploading the zip files takes a bit longer, and I put the individual posts/links up one by one as I can fit them in around the other tasks. The people at the top of the queue get their links posted pretty much right away. The last guy in is usually uploaded around 11:00 pm, later if I hit a computer glitch.

This might be a good time to add the reminder that if you are new to the recital, or if you've had problems submitting your recordings in the past, please submit your pieces now and not wait until the last minute. I'd hate for you to encounter a problem and me not being able to fix it in time for you to be included in the recital.

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/14/13 08:35 PM

There's been a flurry of activity at the recital website. Twenty-five minutes to go!

Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions - 11/14/13 09:03 PM

...and it's done. Stay tuned for the great unveiling. yippie