Piano World Home Page
For the next quarterly recital?? Mine's Chopin op 62/2. (Nocturne)
Probably Debussy's "Girl with the Flaxen Hair". Somebody played it a few recitals ago and I loved it. It's much easier than the Sunken Cathedral that I just did, although it is in Gb.

I've also got things to prepare for the Joplin and Tchaikovsky Recitals!

Sam
I am working on Mendelssohn's Venetian Boat Song 30 6, which is coming together pretty fast. I have always loved it and decided to not put it off any longer. And, like SamS I have Joplin and Tchaikovsky and they are turning out to be more challenging than expected!!
Interesting you post this Frycek. I am struggling a bit with this.

I have plenty in the Queue that I want to learn, but after starting to look at my picks for Tchaikovsky (moving along nicely) and Joplin (not moving along so great), I am reluctant to take on anything overly ambitious and brand new to me.

So, I'm thinking of something already in the hopper. Chopin Eb Nocturne perhaps. I know it has been done tons in the recitals before, but that is the one I am thinking towards.

I admire you folks that can learn these pieces in just a few months.
I think I have decided to play in my teacher's February recital. First one! If I don't chicken out, I'll record what I play and post the live version as my recital entry, which will conveniently also be my first ABF recital!
Originally Posted by SwissMS
I am working on Mendelssohn's Venetian Boat Song 30 6, which is coming together pretty fast. I have always loved it and decided to not put it off any longer. And, like SamS I have Joplin and Tchaikovsky and they are turning out to be more challenging than expected!!

My thoughts exactly; I`m down to thinking "composite" for the Tchaikovsky one; not good! Progress is so slow I`ll be havin` a rest after these are done. . . that`s supposing me piano hasn`t gone flying through the window first . . mad
I've the C# minor Nocturne, 27/1, for February (so Chopin may be challenging Einaudi perhaps), two Joplin pieces for March, a Tchaikovsky for April and the Largo e mesto from Beethoven's 10/3 for May. Looks like I'll be doing the whole sonata with Ganddalf et al over the year and I'll be starting Rach.'s Prelude in C# minor, Op. 3/2, around February time with Griffin. I think I have a busy year ahead. I don't know what I'll be doing for ABF recitals in Aug. and Nov. yet but I don't think it'll be Beethoven, Rachmaninoff or Chopin.

Wow! Duck yer 'ead!! Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it Peter's piano? smile

I was thinking to submit Mysterious Barricades but doubt it will be ready given the work I have to do on my Joplin and Tchaikovsky pieces. (I too am finding them challenging!) So for February if nothing else I may submit the same piece I'm submitting to the Chopin mazurka recital (17/4).

Seems I cannot learn most pieces well in just a few months time. The Chopin mazurka has been a tremendous study but even though it's one of the 'easier' ones it's taken an huge amount of time and practice (and I'm still not there).

Richard I may be interested in joining in on the Rach study. The Beethoven 10/3 study thread is so so tempting, but I'm working on the third movement of the Moonlight sonata with a long way to go and for 2014 I'd also like to work through Chopin's Ballade 1.

I need a few more manageable pieces to work on along side all of this for the quarterly recitals. Perhaps I'll start a thread about that. At the same time, the score of Chopin's Fantasie impromptu op. 66. has fallen into my hands. Will these temptations never end?
Oh lord... I'm so focused on the themed recitals that I had completely forgotten the quarterly one!

There's a nice boogie-woogie tune in Pianist but it's probably out of my league. I could do Schumann's Melodie, or something else from Album for the Young.
Originally Posted by Valencia
Richard I may be interested in joining in on the Rach study.
The more the merrier, Valencia, though we won't be starting till around February so you can get your scales and arpeggios to absolutely sparkle by then! smile

seemed logical after submitting Clementi Sonatina No 1 to move onto No 2 which I am enjoying learning very much. Enjoyment is usually followed by nervousness, fear then panic and hysteria resolving into a case of "I don't care anymore just push the submit button".
I've got a Debussy piece (Sarabande) almost ready for the February recital, so I'm good for that one. But with the Joplin and Tchaikovsky, I'm wondering if I'm going to have time to learn a new piece for the May recital. (Thinking ahead here!) So I had an idea that I'd like to go back and re-learn the piece that I played for my first ABF recital, to see how my playing has changed over the past 4 years. Is that "cheating", to play the same piece again for a later recital?
Originally Posted by MaryBee
I've got a Debussy piece (Sarabande) almost ready for the February recital, so I'm good for that one. But with the Joplin and Tchaikovsky, I'm wondering if I'm going to have time to learn a new piece for the May recital. (Thinking ahead here!) So I had an idea that I'd like to go back and re-learn the piece that I played for my first ABF recital, to see how my playing has changed over the past 4 years. Is that "cheating", to play the same piece again for a later recital?

I've thought about doing this exact same thing! The quarterly recitals are just a snapshot of where you are in your particular piano journey, right? So why not go back, play the same pieces, and demonstrate how much you have improved?

So I can go back and do the Bach C major prelude that I did 20 recitals ago...

Sam
Oh wow! Great minds think alike! I thought about (but didn't) start a thread called "Play it again!" for just those pieces!

But playing it again for a recital is fine with me - What fun to see how far along you've come.

Cathy
Originally Posted by jotur
Oh wow! Great minds think alike! I thought about (but didn't) start a thread called "Play it again!" for just those pieces!

But playing it again for a recital is fine with me - What fun to see how far along you've come.

Cathy

that would be a great thread, would love to hear how people's style or technical ability has improved over time.
Chopin 17/4 or bust! Red Dot be Darned!
Originally Posted by MaryBee
So I had an idea that I'd like to go back and re-learn the piece that I played for my first ABF recital, to see how my playing has changed over the past 4 years. Is that "cheating", to play the same piece again for a later recital?

Not at all. The contrary actually since you will be able to show your progress and improvement of the piece.

We should at some point have a "re-cital" in which you can replay previously performed pieces that you just want another crack at. Of course, you can perform any piece you want in the ABF recitals, even if it is the same piece you performed previously. It's all good.

As for me, I don't have a clue what I'll be playing next. It doesn't matter either because I can be practicing a piece for a while only to hear a nicer piece come by and then I'll want to play that. So I do. I purposely do this as well to expose myself to as many different types of music as I can as well as try to figure out different sounds/chords etc.

Almost certainly Beethoven's Sonata in G, Opus 49 no 2. The only other thing I'm working on right now is October from Tchaikovsky's Seasons but that's for the PIT recital.

Originally Posted by earlofmar
Originally Posted by jotur

Cathy

that would be a great thread, would love to hear how people's style or technical ability has improved over time.

And maybe the 'old' and 'new' recordings can be presented side by side ...

Quite a lot of ambitious plans here, and I'm no exception. I spend most of my time re-learning and brushing up pieces I have played before. Beethoven sonata Op.10/3 will be the great 2014 project. I'm also polishing Faure's third Impromptu, which seems to be a never-ending story.

Possibly I'm going to submit Bach-Busoni "Nun kommt der Heiden Heiland" for the December piano bar since this is an advent piece (actually an organ choral, and maybe not what is usually performed at a piano bar).
What I'm going to play for the next themed recital is a secret.

I'm also all the time polishing parts of pieces of Bach, Mozart and Chopin. I know a lot of hidden gems that are seldomly played, and I may perhaps use future opportunities to play some of these pieces at ABF recitals.

The only new stuff I'm working on is for the Tchaikovsky recital. I have signed up for three pieces, and hope that I'll be able to learn them before the deadline.
"So I can go back and do the Bach C major prelude that I did 20 recitals ago...

Sam"

Better still if you can record it in Casablanca . ..
Originally Posted by peterws
"So I can go back and do the Bach C major prelude that I did 20 recitals ago...

Sam"

Better still if you can record it in Casablanca . ..

Now that's funny... I need to learn the song from that movie, just so I can play it when people say "Play it again, Sam".

Sam
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums