ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions

Posted by: Whizbang

ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/01/14 10:43 AM

The Adult Beginners and Beyond Scott Joplin-themed recital is now open for submissions!

The recital will be posted some time on the 15th of March, which means that the submissions must be in by midnight Eastern Standard Time, March 14. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

Unlike the Adult Beginners and Beyond Quarterly recitals, which showcase a variety of composers, this recital showcases just the piano works of Scott Joplin. All are welcome to submit a piece by consulting the signup thread here and putting in a request to play an otherwise unclaimed Joplin piece (even if it is not yet explicitly listed).

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard.

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate, as that works best with the online streaming player. At that bitrate, a 20 MB file works out to be about 7-9 minutes in length. Your recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent free recording application that can be used.

If you’re new to the forum and the recitals, I encourage you to browse through a few of the past recitals to see what they’re like. An easy way to find past recitals is to use Sam S.’s extremely helpful recital index, located here:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Submitting Your Recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/

and follow the instructions there. Please note that this URL reflects our new permanent home for all the recital files. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital software, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the new website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, I strongly encourage you to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it.

The recital website uses the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, what you had for lunch, etc.}

The due date for all submissions is midnight US EASTERN TIME on March 14, 2014.

Did I mention that the midnight deadline was firm?

Think "consistency of concrete."

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is a recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital order will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should anyone have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, this is the place to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB Forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems. Please ask away! smile

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music!
Posted by: sinophilia

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/01/14 05:16 PM

In Italian we say "Via il dente, via il dolore" (get rid of the tooth and you'll get rid of the pain), so I figured I should go first to stop your suffering and mine grin

Can't wait to listen to this great recital!
Posted by: Derulux

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/01/14 06:56 PM

Whizbang, I just have two things to tell you...

1. I'm guessing I'll be able to record somewhere around March 11-14. I'm hoping not to have to pull a last-minute recording like I did with the Chopin Mazurkas.

2. Challenge accepted. Had a chance to run through it today, and yes, I will do the Entertainer.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's performance! smile
Posted by: briansaddleback

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/01/14 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: sinophilia
In Italian we say "Via il dente, via il dolore" (get rid of the tooth and you'll get rid of the pain), so I figured I should go first to stop your suffering and mine grin

Can't wait to listen to this great recital!

I can't agree more. It feels like a couple of days before finals in college again for me. I am stressing out!
Posted by: MaryBee

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/01/14 11:43 PM

Mine's uploaded! Thanks for arranging all this Whizbang. I don't think I would have ever played Joplin without this recital to encourage me.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/02/14 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Derulux
1. I'm guessing I'll be able to record somewhere around March 11-14. I'm hoping not to have to pull a last-minute recording like I did with the Chopin Mazurkas.

I won't be recording for at least a week. After about two months of trying, I finally got my tech to set a date, so that I'll have a freshly tuned piano for the recital.

Originally Posted By: Derulux

Looking forward to hearing everyone's performance! smile

Me, too!
Posted by: peterws

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/02/14 08:09 AM

Another one in . . Mag Rag!
Posted by: Sam S

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/02/14 04:31 PM

Tried and failed today to get a recording - just too many errors. I still have 13 days to smooth things out...

Sam

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/02/14 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Sam S
Tried and failed today to get a recording - just too many errors. I still have 13 days to smooth things out...

Sam

i know what you mean.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/02/14 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Sam S

Sam
Wait until you hear the errors in mine. But I'm not going to get a better recording at this point.
Posted by: SwissMS

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/03/14 01:11 PM

Ah, I was so close today. Then- one major blooper. This Joplin piece has been the most difficult yet for me to get a good recording. Maybe tomorrow!
Posted by: dpaws

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/03/14 02:21 PM

Uh oh! I recorded mine at 128 Kbps and the recommendation is 192 Kbps. Oh well, I wanted to pull off a better recording anyway. We still have 11 days.

peterws - Magnetic Rag is one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to hearing your recording.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/03/14 02:26 PM

peterws - Magnetic Rag is one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to hearing your recording.
[/quote]

I tried to follow the Bill Westcott model, tempo, state of piano detune (or rather, neglect to tune) and his relaxed style. If I appear relaxed, then you`ve been fooled . . .
Posted by: AZ_Astro

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/03/14 03:29 PM

I have been trying daily to get a recording for at least a week. Very challenging indeed!
Posted by: Playagain

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/03/14 11:02 PM

Mine is submitted--Weeping Willow! I can't wait to hear everyone's performances!

Thank you, Whizbang, and everyone. I've really enjoyed learning my Scott Joplin piece and taking part in the recital. Please forgive the mistakes! smile

This is the first piece I've memorized in many years, and this has been lots of fun! I'm so glad I took part in the recital, and I can't wait to hear all the Joplin rags!

I wasn't very familiar with Weeping Willow when I chose it--I think I had heard the first part of it, and I ended up really liking it. I definitely want to learn more ragtime pieces!

Thanks,everyone!

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/03/14 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Playagain
I wasn't very familiar with Weeping Willow when I chose it--I think I had heard the first part of it, and I ended up really liking it. I definitely want to learn more ragtime pieces!

I'm a terrible memorizer, but Weeping Willow is one of the four rags I took the trouble to memorize. Of course, I've forgotten it now, but I think it's a great rag.

I, too, am looking forward to hearing the recital!

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/04/14 12:09 AM

HI, Whizbang,
Yes, I've had so much trouble memorizing, too. This piece is easier than classical pieces to memorize for me, and it helped that we had months to learn it. I learned the first two sections and a bit of the 3rd and 4th, and then got so busy and put it aside. When I came back to it, it wasn't as daunting since I had pretty well learned about half of it.

When I take lessons, we're always onto the next piece so quickly, and I have to take so much time to memorize that I never can accomplish it in the time frame.

So, thanks for having this recital! It's been really fun!

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/04/14 04:41 AM

"Of course, I've forgotten it now, but I think it's a great rag."

Doesn`t take long does it? grin

I`ve still got one to record before I forget it. AQnd I haven`t yet learned it . . . eek
Posted by: SwissMS

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/04/14 06:01 AM

Well, I am in! It is not perfect, but it is my best effort at this point. This has been a great learning experience. Thanks for organising all of this Whizbang! It has been both fun, and at times, torture (in front to the red dot)!! But I have to think I am a better player for it. I cannot wait to listen to everyone's submissions!
Posted by: Rerun

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/04/14 07:22 AM

I've had time to record "Pleasant Moments" twice in the last week, but still have to try to get it a bit better ... wish I had the red dot in my corner, but he's on the other side of the ring in his corner. It's easier to swing the tune than playing it straight up. grin
Posted by: jotur

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/04/14 09:53 AM

I'll record Bethena this weekend, and then make a final run at Original Rags the next week. Nothing like down to the wire! I think it's great that you folks have already got yours in so you can sit back and relax.

Oh, go ahead and swing it, Rerun, you know you want to smile

Cathy

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/04/14 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: jotur
I'll record Bethena this weekend, and then make a final run at Original Rags the next week. Nothing like down to the wire! I think it's great that you folks have already got yours in so you can sit back and relax.

Oh, go ahead and swing it, Rerun, you know you want to smile

Cathy

I think I'll swing some on the fly, this tune has "Go ahead, improvise me" written all over it. grin
Posted by: Hrodulf

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/04/14 08:03 PM

I tried recording new rag tonight but I'm having problems getting a clean recording because the left hand goes pretty low and I can't play the right notes without looking at my left hand and then I'm not looking at the music and the whole thing stops up. I occasionally have wrong notes for other reasons also. It's obvious I'll have to memorize it so I've decided to work on that instead of doing more recordings right now.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/06/14 10:37 PM

Bethena is sounding really good, IMO, so I'll submit this weekend. The octaves on Original Rag are more and more often at tempo, and I could even start them a little more upbeat than I've been doing while working them up, so I actually think they'll be ready to record before the deadline. Knock on wood smile

Congratulations to those of you who have submitted your pieces. Well done.

Cathy
Posted by: Greener

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/08/14 11:40 AM

A lot of recording being done around the world this weekend, I suspect.

I managed to get one this morning, that is a fair representation of where it's at currently. My goal was this weekend, so happy to be in by noon Saturday.

Best of luck everyone. This will be great ...
Posted by: dire tonic

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/08/14 01:06 PM

I've got a recording ready to go but was hoping I'd get a chance to do something better before the deadline. At the moment though it's in the balance whether there'd be enough free time.

Does anyone know if the auto-upload scheme leaves open the option to submit an updated/improved recording before the deadline?

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/08/14 02:08 PM

Yes, you can re-submit your recording. The only consequence is that your entry will drop to the last one, rather than staying in the original order.

I have a recording, but am also thinking that I'll try again.

But we'll see.

Cathy

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/08/14 03:15 PM

- thanks Cathy, I'm just as likely to forget what day it is this week so I'll play it safe and upload what I've got.

Looking forward to tuning in!!

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/08/14 05:21 PM

Bethena's in. Looks like both of mine are going to be pieces of workmanship, rather than really music, but it might give people a hint of what Joplin does!

Now to go work some more on Original Rags.

Cathy
Posted by: Sam S

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/08/14 06:33 PM

I'm hoping for the middle of the week - it's still pretty shaky. Anyway, I'll be cutting it close.

Sam

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/09/14 05:11 AM

How on earth does anybody play 4 different melody sections, with repeats and consequential change overs from memory and not expect mistakes? Not gonna happen is it? The older you get . . .the more brazen you get.

I have broad shoulders, They also slope . . . my recording will be fun. It will not be technically correct.

I crashed my car into a bridge. And I don`t care . . .I love it
Posted by: casinitaly

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/09/14 05:35 AM

Originally Posted By: peterws
How on earth does anybody play 4 different melody sections, with repeats and consequential change overs from memory and not expect mistakes? Not gonna happen is it? The older you get . . .the more brazen you get.

I have broad shoulders, They also slope . . . my recording will be fun. It will not be technically correct.

Peter, that's quite inspiration to a gal who takes her flubs all too seriously. Wise words - you are having GREAT fun - I can't wait to hear your piece!

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/09/14 10:54 AM

How on earth does anybody play 4 different melody sections, with repeats and consequential change overs from memory and not expect mistakes? ...

Practice grin
Posted by: rnaple

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/09/14 01:06 PM

Gee... I hope that everybody will turn out music. Yes, there are those who will listen and think this or that on technical viewpoints. Making music is what it's all about. I know you're good at doing that. Know I'll enjoy what you do.

Strange how those bridges jump out in front of cars. Darn things can't sit still!

Even though there is no way I could do the original of my piece. I was taking it above my simplified version. I got cut back by my teacher. This is not good for my development physiologically. Need to take that incrementally. Everything from my coach verifies this. So I'll be turning out my simplified version that is on the side of musical. Trying to capture the intent, the "stop and smell the roses" of the melody. Trying to make it enjoyable. Not just another bland copy that you people have to tolerate listening to. Hope to get it out sometime today.
Posted by: woodog

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/10/14 12:31 PM

Gladiolus Rag is fine (~10 mins a day since 12/1!). I just received my video Recorder Zoom Q2HD

Here's my question... will the instructions in the thread for the Zoom H4 work with this?

Is there a better thread to look at. I have done NOTHING with the recorder at this point.

Forrest

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/10/14 11:05 PM

I'm in!
Posted by: S.K.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/11/14 04:28 PM

Whew, I am in too. With Whizbang and Sam S' help I succeeded
in submitting "The Cascades A Rag". Thanks!
Posted by: AudreyJean

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/11/14 07:45 PM

Phooey, I was almost ready to give up today. This is my first submittal, and I read months ago a lot of information about how to do an MP3 recording. First thing: buy a midi cable. I live on a remote island, and have to order things well in advance. I ordered a midi cable to connect the computer to my Yamaha avant grande, and when it arrived, put it aside until the time came to record. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try a trial run. Lo and behold, there is more than one type of midi cable, and of course I had ordered the wrong type. So I went to the owners manual, and ordered the correct one. It arrived yesterday. I have now spent two of the most frustrating days in my life, trying to figure this thing out. All the connections are in place, the driver appears to be installed on the computer, but I can't figure out how to get the things started. Much reading online, much trying of every possible suggestion, and the result continues to be failure.

I was ready to throw in the towel, and write in saying that I could not do my submission, but then remembered something. There is an ipad application called voice memo. It can record things, and turn them into MP3 files. So I tried one section of my Joplin piece that way, and it works! It's not the greatest sound in the world, but then my playing isn't the greatest in the world, so we match. At least this is made me so frustrated that for two days I wasn't worried about how Searchlight sounds, just how Searchlight can get recorded. Any other first time submitters having difficulties recording?

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/11/14 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: AudreyJean
I was ready to throw in the towel, and write in saying that I could not do my submission, but then remembered something. There is an ipad application called voice memo. It can record things, and turn them into MP3 files. So I tried one section of my Joplin piece that way, and it works! It's not the greatest sound in the world.

That's great news! I have to say I'm going to enjoy listening a recording with imperfect audio quality a hundred times more than not being able to listen to a performance at all. Looking forward to it.

Check that you're going to be able to get the audio off your iPad and that the format is .mp3 or can be converted to .mp3.

Any other first time submitters having difficulties recording?

The first time I tried to record a video, something about the audio encoding meant that it wouldn't line up with the video I took. For something that's supposed to be easy, technology companies sure can make it difficult.

EDIT: ...aaand I should learn to read.
It can record things, and turn them into MP3 files.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/11/14 08:12 PM

Thanks, Whizbang!
Posted by: Anne H

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/11/14 09:08 PM

So...I thought I would have time to get this done, except we found our dream house and my piano has been in storage for a few weeks while we move! I will have my done, but not by the deadline at all. I hope it's okay if I can put them up afterwards! I'm really upset about not making the deadline since I've had so much fun and absolutely fallen in love with Joplin as a result of this.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/11/14 09:57 PM

That's a promise, Anne. Hope to see Bink's up on the piano bar or at an ABF general recital soon!
Posted by: sinophilia

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/12/14 02:54 AM

I was ready to throw in the towel, and write in saying that I could not do my submission, but then remembered something. There is an ipad application called voice memo. It can record things, and turn them into MP3 files. So I tried one section of my Joplin piece that way, and it works!

And Apple came to the rescue smile

Yes the sound quality of the iPad recording is not great but not too bad either. I use it all the time for my acoustic. To record my (very basic) digital piano I use a simple USB cable to connect it to my computer.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/12/14 03:12 AM

Today`s the day . . .bit o` outdoor painting to do (sunny at the moment, right time of year) and then, well, keeping one`s fingers crossed isn't quite the best option, is it?

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/12/14 03:52 AM

keeping one`s fingers crossed isn't quite the best option, is it?

Under no circumstances keep your fingers crossed while playing ragtime.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/12/14 01:02 PM

...and I've put up another submission.

stumbler had asked someone to do Joplin's "Great Crush Collision March," but no one took him up on the offer.

But I shanghai'ed my teacher into doing a performance. It's a really cool piece.
Posted by: Hrodulf

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/12/14 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Whizbang
...and I've put up another submission.

stumbler had asked someone to do Joplin's "Great Crush Collision March," but no one took him up on the offer.

But I shanghai'ed my teacher into doing a performance. It's a really cool piece.

Read this:

Crush, Texas
Posted by: zrtf90

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/12/14 02:00 PM

Both my pieces are in and a quick glance at the list of players already up tells me I'm really going to enjoy this.

Thank you so much, Whizbang, for all you've done for us on this. I've had a real blast working up these pieces.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/12/14 05:57 PM

My second is in too; It`ll have to do, I ain`t doin` it again, not yet anyway. Needs a bit of tweaking now . . .but I like to think I`m getting there. . . my thanks to the organizer(s) without which I probably wouldn`t even be bothered playing again . .

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/12/14 07:15 PM

yea, hooray, huzzah, ecstasy and joy, I am in. Am listening (and occasionally wincing) to my submission as I type. This was such fun. I've never done anything like this before. What a pleasure it will be to listen to everybody's submissions and know that we were all working on our pieces for the past few months, and all devoting our time and energies to Scott Joplin. Oh oh, think I'm speeding up towards the end. Probably am so excited at finally getting through a recording with only a few clinkers that I am hurrying to get it over with before a big mistake can catch up with me.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/12/14 08:27 PM

Quote:

Yep, just listened to it ... I could easily turn the intro into a train wreck cry ... glad your teacher is taking it on.
Posted by: AimeeO

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/12/14 09:09 PM

I just noticed the midnight eastern turn in time..whew!!

Not that it'll make this sound better hehehe

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/12/14 09:55 PM

I got it up.
Not too crazy about it. Might very well redo it. Went through so much to get it converted and available for upload. Actually rerecorded it in another DAW. I just had to get it done.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/13/14 01:32 AM

Phooey, I was almost ready to give up today. This is my first submittal, and I read months ago a lot of information about how to do an MP3 recording. First thing: buy a midi cable. I live on a remote island, and have to order things well in advance. I ordered a midi cable to connect the computer to my Yamaha avant grande, and when it arrived, put it aside until the time came to record. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try a trial run. Lo and behold, there is more than one type of midi cable, and of course I had ordered the wrong type. So I went to the owners manual, and ordered the correct one. It arrived yesterday. I have now spent two of the most frustrating days in my life, trying to figure this thing out. All the connections are in place, the driver appears to be installed on the computer, but I can't figure out how to get the things started. Much reading online, much trying of every possible suggestion, and the result continues to be failure.

I was ready to throw in the towel, and write in saying that I could not do my submission, but then remembered something. There is an ipad application called voice memo. It can record things, and turn them into MP3 files. So I tried one section of my Joplin piece that way, and it works! It's not the greatest sound in the world, but then my playing isn't the greatest in the world, so we match. At least this is made me so frustrated that for two days I wasn't worried about how Searchlight sounds, just how Searchlight can get recorded. Any other first time submitters having difficulties recording?

Having the same issue.
First time for me to record anything using midi and computer and had the most difficult time in the world.

I also have a midi to USB converter. Plugged properly into piano and into computer.
Downloaded Audacity.

For the life of me cant seem to transmit whatever I play into Audacity. The computer recognizes the usb midi but Audacity only records the internal mic pick up.

So I downloaded Red Dot Forever. It took whatever I played into MIDI format but the software doesnt interpret a lot of things so different dynamics doesnt register so everything sounds like I spike the keys instead of a nice flowing legato or something.

Now I have to figure out how to convert the MIDI file into MP3 and then from there..
how to upload the MP3 to the site.

Hope those latter steps are not as hard as the first step.

I am not even ready to record my piece either.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/13/14 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: briansaddleback
Phooey, I was almost ready to give up today. ... Any other first time submitters having difficulties recording?

Having the same issue.

You people should ask in the Digital Piano Forum. Lots of great experience there to help.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/13/14 05:17 PM

Having the same issue.
For the life of me cant seem to transmit whatever I play into Audacity. The computer recognizes the usb midi but Audacity only records the internal mic pick up.

Not sure if it will help, but a couple of things to check for in Audacity;

The middle 2 dropdowns, for sound and mic near the top of the editor should recognize the new driver and the new driver should be selected from these dropdowns.

You may need to adjust the project rate (Hz)(bottom left corner of editor.) If set at 44100 or other, try 32000.

I seem to recall similar issues in the past and played with these variable until I eventually got it to hear the mics (in my case). So, just a couple things to try if you are still struggling.

Best of luck ...

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/13/14 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Greener

Having the same issue.

Not sure if it will help, but a couple of things to check for in Audacity;

The middle 2 dropdowns, for sound and mic near the top of the editor should recognize the new driver and the new driver should be selected from these dropdowns.

You may need to adjust the project rate (Hz)(bottom left corner of editor.) If set at 44100 or other, try 32000.

I seem to recall similar issues in the past and played with these variable until I eventually got it to hear the mics (in my case). So, just a couple things to try if you are still struggling.

Best of luck ...

Thanks I tried all sorts of stuff to get audacity to recognize the usb/midi driver from the drop downs and from preferences. Tried reloading a new driver from device manager and s o forth.

I actually downloaded another program which is Anvil and it works great.
It is more robust than the red dot forever and recognizes nuances of the note played so I will be using this

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/13/14 07:55 PM

Thanks Ron and Greener.
Posted by: dpaws

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 02:43 AM

"Something Doing" is submitted. Nothing like the last minute. I never did get a better recording, unfortunately, so I'm going with what I have. If by a miracle I pull off a better recording tomorrow, I might replace it, but it'd take a miracle. Anyway, it's 2:45am right now and I need to go to bed... tired

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 03:12 AM

"I never did get a better recording, unfortunately, so I'm going with what I have. "

And so say all of us . . .That`s life!

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 12:06 PM

Tomorrow`s the Day! Arte they in some logical order? Jus` wonderin` . . .

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 12:09 PM

The recital software posts them in the order they were submitted.

So I may be last laugh

This afternoon is do or do, no?

So Original Rags will be what it is. I have a lunch hour gig as a warm-up.

Cathy

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 01:11 PM

This afternoon is do or do, no?Cathy

Right... the recital will close in about 11 hours, at which point there is no way to accept new entries.

After that, I'll have a few hours of work--possibly more since I'm not a seasoned pro like Monica--and with any luck the recital will be live by tomorrow.
Posted by: casinitaly

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 01:29 PM

This afternoon is do or do, no?Cathy

Right... the recital will close in about 11 hours, at which point there is no way to accept new entries.

After that, I'll have a few hours of work--possibly more since I'm not a seasoned pro like Monica--and with any luck the recital will be live by tomorrow.

I'll check when I get up in the morning and sticky the thread/s so that the Joplin Recital gets "top billing" for a bit.
I am really looking forward to hearing all the submissions!

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 03:33 PM

Working on getting a recording today. No use practicing . as practice for me only manifests in any results the next day at earliest.

Playing it faster or slower , trying all sorts of recordings. I might break it up into two or three parts. Hope that isnt considered cheating. Not going to edit anything as that defeats the point of a recital but hoefully stopping to record another part at a more prepared or time is not hurtful to the intent of the recital.

it is going to be whatever it is. just a submission of a work done.
I dont know what it is, but I had a huge mental block with this piece. Preparation for this piece was more than usual but never seen before where preparation did not produce any worked-on results. It is a big learning curve for me, and hopefully I can move past this and be able to take the next step at being a 'pianist' by overcoming these mental blocks on a more regular basis. thanks

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 03:37 PM

Thanks so much for all your work on this, Whizbang! I'm really looking forward to hearing everyone's submissions. It's so nice your teacher contributed a piece, too.

This had been a great way to really work on a piece that I otherwise wouldn't have worked on, and a fun way to learn more about Scott Joplin's ragtime. I'm already starting on my next Joplin piece--The Easy Winners. smile

Thanks, Whizbang, and all the contributors!
Kathy
Posted by: woodog

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 03:43 PM

Woo hoo!!! I'm in!! Many thanks to SAM S and SwissMs for the help on figuring out my new Zoom Q2HD (I received the device on Tuesday, downloaded Audacity on Wednesday, spent yesterday trying to figure it out, and this morning getting 'takes'. The last take was the best, even with the occasional brain fart.

I'm really looking forward to becoming proficient with Audacity.

This recital is sort of like therapy for me... facing the fear of playing for others.

Really looking forward to hearing the submissions!

Forrest

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 03:55 PM

Brian, a few other folks have recorded in sections and, given that that's the way most professional recordings are often done nowadays, I don't see any issue with it. It's not like any of us are likely to have a staff of audio engineers to fabricate a performance out of whole cloth.

Note that you'll have to stitch the sections yourself. If you update the recording, it replaces the current version, so you can't upload a section at a time.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 04:01 PM

Brian, a few other folks have recorded in sections and, given that that's the way most professional recordings are often done nowadays, I don't see any issue with it. It's not like any of us are likely to have a staff of audio engineers to fabricate a performance out of whole cloth.

Note that you'll have to stitch the sections yourself. If you update the recording, it replaces the current version, so you can't upload a section at a time.

OK Thanks. I wasn't sure of the 'mission statement' of the recital, thought perhaps we were to treat it as a traditional recital where you record once through and there you have it.

Yes, I will be uploading one time, but will be recording parts ABCD all in four different sections on my software. Record, stop, take a breather, record , stop, etc. save it to mp3 and then upload.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 04:08 PM

I'm already starting on my next Joplin piece--The Easy Winners. smile

"The Easy Winners" is a great piece.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: woodog
This recital is sort of like therapy for me... facing the fear of playing for others

I hear ya!

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 04:10 PM

I'm already starting on my next Joplin piece--The Easy Winners. smile

"The Easy Winners" is a great piece.

Definitely a great piece. Not easy as it looks . Especially the C section which ,depending on how quick you want to play it, you need to have real experienced and nimble fingers to play , if using the original key for the piece.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 06:18 PM

Thanks, Whizbang and Brianssaddleback!
Yes, it is a great piece. I know--these pieces seem to be harder than they look!

The D section is hard because the octaves-plus-note chords are a handful to play smoothly. It's slow going for now.

Also, I'm trying to make the thirds in the first section clearer. I think it's my 4th finger being weaker that I notice that it doesn't sound clear when I play it a little faster--working on that, or maybe it's my timing on those. smile But fun!

Maybe I'll try to record it for an upcoming recital. If I have a goal, I always seem to learn something better. smile

Kathy

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 07:07 PM

I'm getting excited about hearing everybody! The group project aspect added a big measure of enjoyment to learning my rag (searchlight). This will be a fun weekend.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 07:42 PM

Got it in. whew. Feels like a big lead weight off my back literally. I will submit again I have to keep tackling this to overcome failures and become reasonably successful one day.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 08:37 PM

Original Rags is in smile

Any one else a contender for last place? laugh

Cathy

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 08:59 PM

And now I have both of the last places! I was so disgusted with my Bethena that I re-recorded. Take that, red dot! It has some sloppier places than the first one, but it has a *lot* more music. Shades of the first Joplin piece I submitted to the quarterly recitals. But I'll take it.

So now I'm going to go read a book, and see if I can keep my tongue from hanging out for this recital smile

Happy ragtime, everyone!

Cathy

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 09:08 PM

And now I have both of the last places! ...Happy ragtime, everyone!

Gee... I thought the computer the receiving software is on would be pretty hot by about now?

I really do wish I would have done a better job on my simple piece. I'm guessing everyone feels that way?
I should have started recording a month ago.
I still very much enjoyed it.
Already fooling around with Solace. ... Doh!... smile

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: rnaple
I really do wish I would have done a better job on my simple piece. I'm guessing everyone feels that way?

Why yes, yes they do smile

All Joplin is a work in progress, I think. I, too, am hoping there's a couple more out there, going down to the wire. No pressure! Really! But I want more Joplin!

Cathy

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/14/14 10:20 PM

It has some sloppier places than the first one, but it has a *lot* more music.
Love that description!

Looking forward to hearing all these.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/15/14 12:09 AM

Yea AimeeO!

Cathy

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/15/14 12:39 AM

I am officially closing the recital and expect to have results for you tomorrow!

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/15/14 01:01 AM

Ha! Most. Error-Filled. Recording. Ever. And the third section has me banging out of frustration! I forgot to not use this one!

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/15/14 01:04 AM

Omg I just listened to it and the second half is completely wrecked - I wholly apologize to anyone who loves this piece. I might have to do a redemption recording for a quarterly recital.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/15/14 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
Omg I just listened to it and the second half is completely wrecked - I wholly apologize to anyone who loves this piece. I might have to do a redemption recording for a quarterly recital.

No worries. We all succeeded in submitting something that we all worked on past few weeks months. Whatever we submitted including all errors and whatever wreckage (you should here mine) is all behind us and let us cheer on the success of not quitting and learning for the future recital. We only can get better and better. That is the celebration here.
I for one thought repeatedly about quitting and not submitting anything. That would have been the real wreckage..if we did. We fought and submitted something.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/15/14 02:45 AM

Yes, what Brian said! We all did it. I will be listening with pleasure, not to criticize. We are a forum of adults either fairly new to the piano or picking up where we left off years ago, not professionals. There is much joy in what we are doing.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/15/14 04:35 AM

This is gonna be a lot o` FUN!! Jopl;in`s fun to begin with; that`s why he was popular, and still is.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/15/14 05:42 AM

All Joplin is a work in progress

True!

Quote:
It has some sloppier places than the first one, but it has a *lot* more music.

That was my dilemma - the recording I did yesterday was definitely more musical but sloppiness was too apparent so I stuck with an earlier one with fewer errors.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/15/14 06:51 AM

I've enjoyed hearing you guys ham around about this event since it began and especially this last week ... really looking forward to listening to everybody play no matter what shape it's in ... reminds me a lot of team camaraderie.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/15/14 07:34 AM

I just got up. Needing to get to work.
I see it is no easy task posting the recital. Appreciate your efforts Whizbang. Appreciate your putting on this recital.
Hopefully when I get home. Will be able to listen to everyone's work.

I wouldn't worry about anyone's recording. Mine is at the bottom, definitely. Everyone else. It all comes down to a reason to work on this music. It's always been good stuff. Ever since I was a kid and listened to Marvin Hamlish's work in The Sting. I still think he did a beautiful job. Joplin has had my interest ever since then. It's all about working on something that you love. That's where the motivation comes from to play piano well.

For me personally. This recital came along at a time when I was literally banging my head against the wall trying to play both hands. This piece helped me tremendously to break through that wall. Yes in all joking....it's all Whizbang's fault. I'm very thankful to Joplin and this recital.
Now my teacher tells me that difficulty will always be there. He plays at an extremely high level. Showed me something he plays now in left hand and has difficulty getting the right hand. This is a guy who threw several Rag's at me. Even played Maple Leaf too fast just for an example. Just off the top of his head! Geesh... It all comes down to what he advises me. The only reason you won't drop a piece is that you love it.

I hope those who didn't get their piece in by last night. That they would post them in the quarterly recital.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/15/14 11:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Rerun

I've enjoyed hearing you guys ham around about this event since it began and especially this last week ... really looking forward to listening to everybody play no matter what shape it's in ... reminds me a lot of team camaraderie.

Wow! You know how to spell camaraderie! The last time I tried to use it I had to look it up!

Yeah, yea to all of us who made it! I am really looking forward to this.

Thank you so much, Whizbang.

Cathy
Posted by: peekay

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/15/14 11:51 AM

OMG, I hadn't logged in into PW for awhile and for some reason I thought the submission deadline is March 15 (today), not yesterday. frown I've been very busy with a new job and was planning to record today. frown

Oh well, no one to blame but myself... I think I will still record the piece today. Looking forward to hearing everyone's submissions.

Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions - 03/15/14 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: peekay
OMG, I hadn't logged in into PW for awhile and for some reason I thought the submission deadline is March 15 (today), not yesterday. frown I've been very busy with a new job and was planning to record today. frown

Oh well, no one to blame but myself... I think I will still record the piece today. Looking forward to hearing everyone's submissions.

I'm sorry about that peekay! I actually think I found a bug in the recital software. One of the things you fill in is the recital date--I entered March 15. Another one of the things you fill in is the number of hours before midnight that you wanted submissions in by. I wanted to give people till midnight so I entered 0.

So then the recital software assumed that I meant midnight on February 14, not February 15!