Song recommendations for returning player?

Posted by: lang15

Song recommendations for returning player? - 03/08/14 01:07 AM

Hi,

I took several years of piano lessons as a kid, and now I'm 32 and getting back into it. I like classical music (I play classical and flamenco guitar), and I'm looking for recommendations on what to learn for my level, which is probably late beginner or early intermediate.

I've learned the below song and can play it well, and I'm now learning Canon fantasy by Lee Galloway. I was thinking of Moonlight Sonata. Some recommendations would be helpful, I really don't know what to start learning, or what direction I can take. I don't have the money for ongoing lessons, but maybe in the future I can get a teacher.

I also just got a Yamaha P155 and love it.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Zanarkand_(Theme)?file=ToZanarkandSheet1.jpg
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Zanarkand_(Theme)?file=ToZanarkandSheet2.jpg

Thanks,
Jason
Posted by: earlofmar

Re: Song recommendations for returning player? - 03/08/14 03:33 AM

The world is your oyster as they say - check out this organised list of classical repertoire here
Posted by: JimF

Re: Song recommendations for returning player? - 03/08/14 07:42 AM

Welcome back to the piano and to the ABF, Jason.

You might get some mileage out of this recent thread on the same topic:
link to prior classical learning repertoire thread
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: Song recommendations for returning player? - 03/08/14 11:03 AM

The Moonlight sonata first movement is definitely not in the late beginner/early intermediate area. There are some great pieces written by Jeanine Yeager in her Fresh Impressions Book 3.

For a good collection of classical pieces that span several eras, you may want to get Beginning Piano Solos by Paul Sheftel . These are original compositions by Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, and many others.

These will help prepare you for playing the Moonlight sonata (first movement only, the 2nd and 3rd are more difficult), but understand there is a big gap in skills from where you probably are right now and playing a Beethoven sonata. Still, it's a place to start. Enjoy the process!