Piano World Home Page
Yes, it's that time already and it's truly difficult to get too ambitious in the sultry heat of summer (unless you're "down under" suffering thru the frigid days of winter) but you should probably be putting the finishing (or semi-finishing) touches on your Aug. 15th ABF Recital piece about now ...

I've been working on mine since before Christmas last year (interrupted by a re-working of "Ashokan Farewell" for the May Recital) and I'm in the home stretch on it's mastery and domination...although it's a piece of a nature that seems to dominate me more than I it - it seems to "take control" with a passionate "mind" of it's own when I play it and I become enthralled and mesmerized and it just simply "takes over" and has it's way with me (sort of like some women in my past life)...it's been an elusive "phantom" for me to direct and control, so to speak...

Good luck and have fun (if you dare) boys and girls!
First I would need to decide which piece... A Scarlatti sonata or one of my 3 romantic pieces? I think if I concentrate on one of them a bit more I could have it ready before August 11th. That's when I will have my first lesson of the term and I anticipate my teacher will find a lot to make better... So it's best to finish the recording before that...
Part of me finally understood that I need to submit to the e-citals something that's below my level, at least a little bit, and that I thoroughly studied and digested for months... but the other part wants to share what I'm working on and where I am at right now, even if it won't be very easy to record nor very nice to hear.

I have the millionth Bach minuet ready, it's fast and sounds okay but seriously, another one?
And I have a much longer and more complicated 19th century minuet which is labeled beginner/intermediate, with a beautiful melody and lots of tricky pedal changes... I know I shouldn't, but I will probably try to record this one. I'm also working on a simplified Cole Porter song (don't know why but I have such a hard time learning the left hand in this kind of things) and a Diabelli duet, but I don't think those will be recordable any time soon.
I have the millionth Bach minuet ready, it's fast and sounds okay but seriously, another one?

Why not? They are terrific.
Not another Bach please eek wink Please send Bach to some course on how to write beautiful melodies first. I'm voting for a more complicated romantic minuet with beautiful melody!

My piece is ready to roll. Recorded a few weeks ago after my piano was tuned and the pedal finally finally is not squeaking anymore yippie . Well in fact I have two pieces recorded that both are really nice but I think I know which one will be submitted.

And thanks TrapperJohn for the reminder!
Well,unfortunately some Bach from me this time too. I got smart and have it all ready in advance. In fact, I'm finishing up some Chopin so it's time to get that recorderd for Novemeber!
Don't get me wrong, I simply adore Bach. But I can't tackle anything more difficult than minuets for now - just started my 6th one. I'll keep them for myself and go for a less known piece.
I am in big, big trouble. The piece I wanted to record is not ready to even think about tackling the Red Dot. And I am going to be out of town 16 of the next 28 days. eek I may have to resort to Plan B.
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
...a piece of a nature that seems to dominate me more than I it - it seems to "take control" with a passionate "mind" of it's own when I play it and I become enthralled and mesmerized and it just simply "takes over" and has it's way with me (sort of like some women in my past life)...it's been an elusive "phantom" for me to direct and control, so to speak...

Uh oh, a disaster beyond imagination is about to occur!!!
Originally Posted by wouter79
Please send Bach to some course on how to write beautiful melodies first.

Bach couldn't write melody, that's for sure. ;-)
I adore Bach too. I really had fun bringing my next submission to the ready. I can't wait to share it!!
More Bach please - he's the man
Hello, can someone explain how the recital works? Do you just do a recording of a classical piece to a high standard for you? I'm a beginner working my way through the Alfred's book, wondering if I could participate.
Originally Posted by AndrewAJC
Hello, can someone explain how the recital works? Do you just do a recording of a classical piece to a high standard for you? I'm a beginner working my way through the Alfred's book, wondering if I could participate.

Yes, absolutely! Check out previous recitals (http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page).

Yes, there are classical pieces to high standards. And much easier too. There's pop, there's jazz, there's new age, there's whatever I play ... (just kidding, it's been classical so far for me).

I'm not sure what I'll be playing this time around. I have one piece relatively close and it should be ready in time. But if not there's a piece I played a while back but never recorded and I play it from time to time, just to keep it within reach. Decisions, decisions ...

Ok great! My current idea is to play this piece. Souvenir d'enfance.

It is certainly not in my ability yet but I have sheet music and can workout what the notes are and the timing seems pretty straightforward, so who knows what I can accomplish in one month.
Welcome to the forum, AndrewAJC!! smile

The recitals were begun exactly for people like you/us. We wanted a place where we could post a recording of where we were in our piano journey, from brand new beginner (I think our record was when funburger contributed a piece and she had only been doing piano for 2 weeks!) to adult relearners with decades of experience at the bench. We're a very supportive audience, and any kind of piano piece is acceptable. I myself am partial to new age/contemporary compositions, particularly Einaudi.

...but if I don't get off my butt and practice my Einaudi piece a LOT more in the next two weeks, it's going to have to be somebody else again this time. Yikes.

I hope you do participate.

The high standard of playing that some can achieve can be a little intimidating to newcomers however it isn't about comparisons. I think the benefits of joining in a recital is it forces us to come out of our comfort zone, teaches us to play under a bit of pressure (the red dot of the recorder) and also forces us to really look deeply and listen closely to our piece in an effort to "polish" it to as good a standard as we can get. I think an other important lesson from a recital is psychological. Learning to let a piece go out into general circulation knowing it's weakness's and/or mistakes but in the knowledge it is the best you can achieve in this moment is quite uplifting. All of these benefits and in such a safe, friendly environment it is a no brainier. Plus the free giveaways lol.

I love to hear pieces from people just starting piano.

If you participate regularly, a benefit will be that you can look over past recitals and have tangible evidence of how much you are improving.
"Not another Bach please eek wink Please send Bach to some course on how to write beautiful melodies first" . . . Air on a G string do?. . . .French suite no 5, several tunes in that . . .there are loads!

Get IN there, man . . . . .have fun! You`ll practice like you`ve never practiced before . . grin Bit like jumping in the river and learning to swim . .
I'm currently polishing two pieces, Chopin's Mazurka Op. 67 No. 4 and Mozart's K545 2nd movement. Which one should I go for?
Originally Posted by noobpianist90
I'm currently polishing two pieces, Chopin's Mazurka Op. 67 No. 4 and Mozart's K545 2nd movement. Which one should I go for?

Why not record both and keep one for the next recital
I think it is also allowed to put two pieces into one recording? I might do this since mine are not long...
Originally Posted by outo
I think it is also allowed to put two pieces into one recording? I might do this since mine are not long...

Yes, this is allowed. No problem.
For me, it won't be this recital. I'm considering putting several little Etude's together. Perhaps all of them for one level I'm working in.
I think it was the last recital. Some people got poor MrSuperHunky into explaining rules in depth. Felt sorry for the guy. Frustrated myself reading all the arguments.

It is certainly not in my ability yet but I have sheet music and can workout what the notes are and the timing seems pretty straightforward, so who knows what I can accomplish in one month.

Andrew... You got more than one person chuckling to themselves. You might not want to try that. You might want to pick something you already know. But need to polish it up and make it presentable. Let me put it this way... after you hit the erase button on the recorder for the ten millionth time. You'll understand. I contributed a little piece from Alfred's for the Xmas recital. It was easy. It was a contribution. It was not frustrating. smile

Originally Posted by Riddler
...a piece of a nature that seems to dominate me ...

smile +1 smile
Originally Posted by earlofmar
(...)I think the benefits of joining in a recital is it forces us to come out of our comfort zone, teaches us to play under a bit of pressure (the red dot of the recorder) and also forces us to really look deeply and listen closely to our piece in an effort to "polish" it to as good a standard as we can get.(...)

Yes earlofmar, I completely agree with you. +1 thumb

Now that the EPP2014 is over, it's time to think in the next ABF Recital... I've two Einaudi's pieces ready to record, or I can just play what I played in the opening of the EPP - a simple (and almost) improvised tune, but very catchy and fun to play -.

I'm stuck. Really don't know what to do. I'd earmarked Bach Badinerie for this recital. Even though it is short, it is way off the mark with only 2/3 learned and 1/2 coming remotely close to a presentation tempo. Short of some serious practice time right up to the deadline, I doubt I can make it with this one.

I'll be purchasing a new pre-amp, and would like to record something to try it out. I've been thinking of possibly recycling something that I'd recorded before. I don't think there is one piece I have recorded, that I wouldn't like to re-record. But this seems kinda lame to me and like, missing the point.

So it could be Bach, could be a non-classical (a never recorded something or another last minute restoration project).

I think I'll keep aiming for the Badinerie and see where I am by August 1st, and then make final decision. This will at least keep me motivated to keep it moving forward and eventually complete. But ... really not sure.

Hmm...
Hmm...

Except the recording might not sound so good after a few months and then one needs to make a new one smile
Except the recording might not sound so good after a few months and then one needs to make a new one smile
Without a doubt grin
However, I usually drop pieces immediately after I'm reasonably satisfied with my playing. I give it a few months to forget it and then I re-learn it. The second time learning, I see reasonably large improvement.

In this case, I might not be able to re-learn it before the next recital.
Originally Posted by rnaple

[quote=AndrewAJC]Ok great! My current idea is to play this piece. Souvenir d'enfance.

Andrew... You got more than one person chuckling to themselves. You might not want to try that. You might want to pick something you already know. But need to polish it up and make it presentable. Let me put it this way... after you hit the erase button on the recorder for the ten millionth time. You'll understand. I contributed a little piece from Alfred's for the Xmas recital. It was easy. It was a contribution. It was not frustrating. smile

grin grin That bad is it?

Not only have I boneheadingly disregarded your advice but I started a youtube playlist to document my learning process. I present my first fumblings... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GX5eCfaH9M

I'll give myself a week to make some progress. If it's evident it's not happening after that I can always find something else and put this on the backburner.
Originally Posted by rnaple

grin grin That bad is it?

Not only have I boneheadingly disregarded your advice but I started a youtube playlist to document my learning process. I present my first fumblings... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GX5eCfaH9M

I'll give myself a week to make some progress. If it's evident it's not happening after that I can always find something else and put this on the backburner.

I'm with Ron on this one but what the hey, some people get really motivated by taking on more challenging pieces. Just don't hesitate to cut and run if it's not working out, pick a fall-back piece for the recital.

The recital's are invariably a positive, encouraging experience, no matter what your level. No one will be judging or comparing (or at least if they do, they keep it to themselves!)

For me this time, I'm not going with the "latest and greatest" but rather a piece I've been working on for some time and is already at a polished state. I like to be a little lazy in the summertime...
I had started working on Scott Joplin "Searchlight Rag" a while back, but the Joplin themed recital came around and I chose "Something Doing" and put "Searchlight" on the back burner. When the Joplin recital finished, I picked "Searchlight" back up and I think it is just about ready. smile I almost got a clean take last night and will be trying again tonight. Hope everyone is not "Joplined Out" after the recital. grin
Originally Posted by wouter79
Please send Bach to some course on how to write beautiful melodies first. I'm voting for a more complicated romantic minuet with beautiful melody!

Come on.. However much I love Romantic music Bach is a genius. You should know being either Dutch or Belgian that there cannot be a "Dag zonder Bach" (No day without Bach). The melody of Jesu bleibet meine freude is just perfect.

Anyway, I will probably try something from Schumanns Album for the Young.

Hawkeye instructs Radar on the fine art of appealing to the classy new nurse...

Perhaps "Ah Wolfgang" might be a little more conducive to achieving a successful intrapersonal connection...
OK, I'm determined to submit something to this recital!
My plan is to try and record a fallback piece this weekend. I have 3 close to recordable but for one reason or another I am reluctant to submit any of them (1 is v similar to the piece I submitted last time, 1 was submitted by someone else recently and I have reason to think that someone else may be planning to submit the third one!).
At the moment I'm still hoping that I'll get my Chopin up to snuff in time, but I think that might be unrealistic.
Probably a good idea not to tell what you`re doin` . . . loads of others might be doing the same! I think I`d rather not know heh heh. I`m not telling. Or maybe I already have . . can`t remember (shrug)
I wouldn't want to submit the same thing as anybody else but at the same time as a listener I do not mind duplicates in one recital. If someone has submitted the same piece last recital that's like ancient history. If you are concerned someone is doing the same piece as you why not pm them and ask.
I have four pieces that are all in the same stage of .... not quite ready frown I have three Einaudi pieces (Nefeli, Nuvole Bianche, and Monday) and Joy, George Winton's take on Bach's Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring. But I am playing them all equally sloppily ... let's see, if I can pick one, reduce the sloppiness over the next two weeks, and then spend two weeks making recordings over and over again, I might just have a recording ready in time. whome

Monica, what Einaudi are you thinking of?
Originally Posted by dpaws
Hope everyone is not "Joplined Out" after the recital. grin

Never!
Originally Posted by peterws
Probably a good idea not to tell what you`re doin` . . . loads of others might be doing the same! I think I`d rather not know heh heh. I`m not telling. Or maybe I already have . . can`t remember (shrug)

Let's all do "Searchlight Rag"!

(My teach loved AudreyJeans' performance of Searchlight... except for one note, which kills him!)
Who worries about the odd note? Certainly not the audience . . . smile
Originally Posted by Riddler
...a piece of a nature that seems to dominate me more than I it - it seems to "take control" with a passionate "mind" of it's own when I play it and I become enthralled and mesmerized and it just simply "takes over" and has it's way with me (sort of like some women in my past life)...it's been an elusive "phantom" for me to direct and control, so to speak...

Perhaps Trapper John will be rescued by an Angel of the Night?
@TrapperJohn lol.
I don't worry that anybody else will play the same. It will likely be better but for me it's more about the process and taking part then the result. Of course I will do my best to get the best result possible.
( ... except for one note, which kills him!)

Frankly, I've never thought much of that note either ... but love the other 35,000. grin
Who worries about the odd note? Certainly not the audience . . . smile

My teach! But that makes him a good teach smile
I'm so excited about this! I think I might have a Clementi Sonatina by August. So far I can play it with almost no mistakes, but since I'm self-taught, I'm going to ask my pianist friends for feedback first (for all I know, I'm playing it completely wrong haha). Ah, piano is so complicated, but so rewarding.
Originally Posted by dpaws
Hope everyone is not "Joplined Out" after the recital. grin
I hope so too! I was inspired by one of the pieces I heard there, and have been working hard to try to get it ready for this recital.
I have two possibilities, one of which is, surprise!, a Joplin piece that was in the Joplin recital laugh . I for one don't think there can be too much Joplin.

But the one I really want to do is my first experiment in learning the chord progression first (while singing along, tho that's part of the practice, not part of the finished product) and getting an idea of what kind of rhythms/backing I want, and then adding the melody. I am so tired of being tied to the sheet music, whether reading or memorizing, and I really want more expertise so I can be more spontaneous.

So I might submit something fairly basic and block-chordy-with-a-couple-of-fills that is baby steps towards my next goal.

But I'm looking forward to having Joplin start to rival Einaudi in these recitals wink

Cathy
"and it just simply "takes over" and has it's way with me (sort of like some women in my past life)..."

Know what ya mean. That happened to me back in the 16th C. It was queen Liz 1 I think; I ended up in the Tower . . .
Originally Posted by jotur
But I'm looking forward to having Joplin start to rival Einaudi in these recitals wink

Me too!
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I have four pieces that are all in the same stage of .... not quite ready frown I have three Einaudi pieces (Nefeli, Nuvole Bianche, and Monday) and Joy, George Winton's take on Bach's Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring. But I am playing them all equally sloppily ... let's see, if I can pick one, reduce the sloppiness over the next two weeks, and then spend two weeks making recordings over and over again, I might just have a recording ready in time. whome

Monica, what Einaudi are you thinking of?

I'm working on "Tracce." But it won't be ready in time. We leave Wednesday for Italy (where we will get to see Einaudi himself playing in the Verona Arena!!), and I won't have enough time after getting back to get it in shape. So it will be Plan B for me, either a David Nevue or Michele McLaughlin piece.

So I hope you pick Einaudi! I'd hate to have him underrepresented or even--gasp--outplayed by Joplin in the recital. whome
Monica, after you mentioned Tracce in the Einaudi thread, I put it on my playlist, very lovely! I'll look forward to it in the next recital. I am leaning toward Monday, which although it's the piece I've been playing for the shortest amount of time is the one that seems to be the least sloppy. Gee, I wonder if that's because I haven't had enough time to practice/cement all those mistakes I've been cultivating in the other pieces whome

P.S. I like the prospect of a Joplin/Einaudi rivalry! Can we get like a trophy (ok a virtual one) or something that goes back and forth from one team to the other after each game recital? grin
Originally Posted by Monica K.
(...)So I hope you pick Einaudi! I'd hate to have him underrepresented or even--gasp--outplayed by Joplin in the recital. whome

Monika, I'll play a piece of Einaudi thumb
Just a question, is it ok to do multiple pieces in one submission?

I am considering doing Schumann Op 68. No 1, 3, 4 and 5. Or at least some of them. No 3 and 4 are good. No 5 is good enough, needs some polishing, No 1 needs some work.
I have been playing these for quite some time so I think it should be possible but just: is it ok?
Originally Posted by wimpiano
Just a question, is it ok to do multiple pieces in one submission?

I am considering doing Schumann Op 68. No 1, 3, 4 and 5. Or at least some of them. No 3 and 4 are good. No 5 is good enough, needs some polishing, No 1 needs some work.
I have been playing these for quite some time so I think it should be possible but just: is it ok?

I've been told it is and I remember someone did it last time. I will probably try to record two as well. But only if I can do it without editing smile
Thanks. I'm just considering it thought. Chances are big that I will play only No 3 or No 3 and 4.
Also, is there any "legal" way to testdrive a submission? I did it last time in the AOTW thread but I think it's kind of frowned upon or isn't it?
Only one submission is allowed per person, outo and wimpiano. The single submission can consist of a medley of a couple of shorter, related pieces.

Not sure what you mean by a legal way to test drive a submission, wimpiano. When you upload your recording, there is a "play" button you can press to make sure that your piece uploaded okay. If you meant instead whether you can you submit a piece you've posted elsewhere (e.g., on the piano bar thread, etc.) and received feedback on, that is possible, but not often done. Most people use the recital to showcase for the first time a piece they've been working on.
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
(...)So I hope you pick Einaudi! I'd hate to have him underrepresented or even--gasp--outplayed by Joplin in the recital. whome

Yay!!!

Yay!!!

Great, so now I *have* to submit something to cancel out Carlos. wink

Or maybe I can bribe him to play some Joplin instead.
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
P.S. I like the prospect of a Joplin/Einaudi rivalry! Can we get like a trophy (ok a virtual one) or something that goes back and forth from one team to the other after each game recital? grin
What a fun idea -- I like it! And it doesn't have to be limited to Joplin vs. Einaudi. It could be a trophy for whichever composer is the most-played in each recital.
According to a quick perusal of the PW recitals Chopin is the most often played (161), (I would have thought it would have been Bach).

Einaudi has a very respectful count of 74 while Joplin is 48. The count per recital though is always interesting.
So you're saying Joplin vs. Einaudi is a race for also-rans? smile

Cathy
Each recital will usually have a clear winner, although I don't how we would solve a tie break
overtime?

Cathy
Only one submission is allowed per person, outo and wimpiano. The single submission can consist of a medley of a couple of shorter, related pieces.

That is what I meant when I wrote no editing. To play the two pieces together in once take.

Then again I am not sure if the pieces are in any way related...except in my own mind smile
Originally Posted by jotur
overtime?

Cathy

or a play off lol
Originally Posted by Whizbang

LOL, I think this is not just a matter of money... But, if you want to bribe me, I can try to play some Joplin!
I may have to resort to Plan B.

So, Bach? laugh
Each recital will usually have a clear winner, although I don't how we would solve a tie break

I vote for a hot dog eating contest. grin
I just want to let y'all know that I am leaving tomorrow for a much-anticipated trip to Italy with my hubby to see Einaudi in concert and celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We're supposed to have free wifi at the hotels we're staying at, but I'm guessing I won't have much time or inclination to visit the forum. We get back on the 29th, so I will have no trouble opening the recital as usual. I just didn't want anybody to panic about the recital if they don't see me post until the 30th. smile
happy holiday
Monica, I hope you have a blast! Be sure to give us a concert report too!
Monica, I think you're going to see the same concert I've seen in Lisbon - In a Time Lapse tour -. It's just amazing. Have fun!

LOL, I think this is not just a matter of money... But, if you want to bribe me, I can try to play some Joplin!

Not sure how I missed this!

Sure, bribe incoming: lessee... I'll set you up in a gorgeous European city with access to great food, great shoes, a beautiful wife, nice pia... dammit!

Seriously, I'd eventually love to hear your take on Joplin's "Solace" or Lamb's "Cottontail Rag"... probably a ways away technically for you (or prove me wrong :), but your interpretations are always gorgeous.
After taking part in two recitals in a row, I feel sad because I will not take part in the next one.
In August I don't have Internet connection for most of the time, except when I use the smartphone for that. And I don't have my piano, I use a very basic Casio DP.
Of course I'll listen to your performances and I'm sure I'll enjoy them!

And I'm curious to see the end of the Joplin vs Einaudi race...
Originally Posted by torquenale

Of course I'll listen to your performances and I'm sure I'll enjoy them!

Sorry to hear, we won't be hearing from you this round, torquenale. As for listening, you can skip over mine if you like. I'm not enjoying it so much, so I kinda doubt you will. First half is getting better, but not sure I'll even be able to record all of the second half yet. I may have been better off on the sideline for this one myself. But, think I am going to give it a go. For sure we will see/hear you in November, right? smile
Originally Posted by torquenale
After taking part in two recitals in a row, I feel sad because I will not take part in the next one.

That is a pity torquenale, I have enjoyed your performances so far. The remaining Italian contingent will just have to work harder lol
Greener, earlofmar: I will be back in November. ABF recitals hooked me!

That is a pity torquenale, I have enjoyed your performances so far. The remaining Italian contingent will just have to work harder lol

Well I have a recording ready and it's not Bach! I would like to improve on that but I'm neck deep in work right now and time and concentration are scarce, so it is what it. is But I'm sure casinitaly will keep the flag flying wink
"Not another Bach please eek wink Please send Bach to some course on how to write beautiful melodies first" . . . Air on a G string do?. . . .French suite no 5, several tunes in that . . .there are loads!

Oui. One of my favorite melodies of all time is the Aria from Bach's Goldberg Variations. And the melody in his Air in D Major just makes me want to cry it's so beautiful.
Thought I`d got mine sorted. Then I listened to the recording . . shocked .back to the drawing board. Good job I like it . . .
Lol @peterws.. I actually enjoy the recording process even more then last time. Yes, there's loads of extra tension but hey, it is still fun!
Lol @peterws.. I actually enjoy the recording process even more then last time. Yes, there's loads of extra tension but hey, it is still fun!

For me the recording process is like taking a magnifying glass to something you thought looked pretty good. Under scrutiny it just falls apart... sigh. That said, I always look forward to the recitals as it does force me to work harder and gives me a chance to share the "fruits of my labors" with someone other than the occasional jogger outside my window.
Originally Posted by Peyton

For me the recording process is like taking a magnifying glass to something you thought looked pretty good. Under scrutiny it just falls apart... sigh. That said, I always look forward to the recitals as it does force me to work harder and gives me a chance to share the "fruits of my labors" with someone other than the occasional jogger outside my window.

The results of recording can be so subjective. My Good Lady thought my efforts were superior to those of the player from which my inspiration came, Bless her cotton socks! Don`t often get compliments like that from `er! Makes me fair glad I married her . . . .

The results of recording can be so subjective. My Good Lady thought my efforts were superior to those of the player from which my inspiration came, Bless her cotton socks! Don`t often get compliments like that from `er! Makes me fair glad I married her . . . .

She is a "keeper" for sure. "She who must be obeyed" at our house heard my itunes playing Chopin's Raindrop Prelude today and asked if it was one of my recordings, "I wish" was all I could fumble out.
Good for you folks who enjoy recording process. I, on the other Hans, is a tech idiot. I just got an iPad Air (sold Mac air to apple and got a pad instead). It means I have to learn how to record things all over again. I have zoom. It looks like my pad has recording capability too. Well someday I will master it. I don't think I can record anything by the recital but try to get Schubert recorded soon.
Oh, FarmGirl... to bad you can't join this recital frown

Anyway, I did a nice session yesterday night. Good attitude, no big mistakes, nice atmosphere, nice sound... I thought it was done.
But, unfortunately... I didn't press the "record" button, so it was a "false start" and I've to start all over again.
I'm thinking to joining this recital. I will not give away any spoilers only that it will not be Chopin grin

I just hope you guys will appreciate it.

The struggle with the red dot can start...
Originally Posted by chopinoholic
I'm thinking to joining this recital. I will not give away any spoilers only that it will not be Chopin grin

Einaudi? laugh

But, unfortunately... I didn't press the "record" button, so it was a "false start" and I've to start all over again.

I really hate it when that happens frown
I'm not at the recording stage yet. I thought I had my arrangement for a vocal version of Emily set and just needed to polish up the piano solo sections a bit, but once again I was inspired by another ABF member's abilities to try to raise the bar a little on my own.

This time it was career accompanist, dire tonic, who not only gave me some great pointers on the art of turnarounds and modulations for accompaniment, but gave me a chord recipe for revamping my 1625 opening of Emily for a smoother "smooth jazz" sound.

Unfortunately, this led me to revamping the rest of the accompaniment to make it match the style and quality of these ideas. But as DT told me, sometimes you must "build up an idea to its conclusion and then tear it down, if necessary." Hope I can build it back up enough in time for the recital!

Einaudi? laugh

Nope! whistle

Einaudi? laugh

Joplin? laugh
Satie?
Satie?

Weird Al Yankovic?
Satie?

Weird Al Yankovic?

Hope it's not the same Weird Al I am doing.
Well I've been on 25'-30'scaffolding for the past 3 months staining the lodge with oil. I can't even begin to tell you how sick of smelling like a fish every night is. Plus the amount of time it takes me to get linseed oil out of my hair every evening.

Thank goodness for Goodwill and disposable clothes! [I just bought a stack of brand new T-shirts for 30 cents each].

Anyway, I got three tunes ready [To Zanarkand, Nights in White Satin, and Color my World] I'm not sure yet which one I will perform because I'm a little sick of all of them right now. I'll probably go with the 'Color my World' tune though as I've already submitted the other two in the past some place.

And I know this is the recital thread but I'm still thinking of Cheryl and all her birthday lobster and shrimp. [Here in Arizona we have fresh lizard, rattlesnake, and cactus]. I want some fresh lobster. Just a taste!
Fresh lizard eh? hmm, think I'll pass on that.

You can come for dinner any time Mr. Super-Hunky - just give me a heads up smile

If you're asking for votes ( well, you aren't but.... I will vote) ---- Color my world would get my vote. I know I'm dating myself but I remember dancing to that in the highschool gym on dance nights. It would be a walk down memory lane!
... I didn't press the "record" button, so it was a "false start" and I've to start all over again.

Yeah! I did a record session yesterday: two pieces in a row, which means I've already a (backup) piece for November ABFRecital thumb

Einaudi? laugh

Joplin? laugh
Satie?

Weird Al Yankovic?

It will be older than that. Quite a famous chap too!

Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky

Anyway, I got three tunes ready [To Zanarkand, Nights in White Satin, and Color my World] I'm not sure yet which one I will perform because I'm a little sick of all of them right now. I'll probably go with the 'Color my World' tune though as I've already submitted the other two in the past some place.

Would love to hear a your version of Nights in White Satin. The Moody Blues were one of the first more progressive type bands I started to listen to and always have a soft spot for them.
Well I've been on 25'-30'scaffolding for the past 3 months staining the lodge with oil. I can't even begin to tell you how sick of smelling like a fish every night is. Plus the amount of time it takes me to get linseed oil out of my hair every evening.

Carp or muskie?

Wear a painter's cap (available at Goodwill too).

Can we get some pics of the lodge & you on the scaffolding? Have you really been up there for 3 months? laugh
That's a tough choice, Hunky. I absolutely LOVE "Nights in White Satin," but I'm always eager to hear new arrangements by you. It's a win-win situation, I guess!
(...) but I'm always eager to hear new arrangements by you. It's a win-win situation, I guess!

+1 thumb
Whatever you play, it's a pleasure to listen to.
Would love to hear a your version of Nights in White Satin. The Moody Blues were one of the first more progressive type bands I started to listen to and always have a soft spot for them.

I always used to hear those lyrics as "Knights in White Satin" and I could never figure out why they were wearing satin.
"Knights in White Satin" and I could never figure out why they were wearing satin.

Me too!!! It took forever before I realized that it wasn't "knights." Actually, I still kind of hear it that way! :p
Kinda spoilt it for me when I found out it was "Nights" . . always thought the song had a gothic feel to it. Like a Robin Hood atmosphere; just needed Kate Beckinsale to improve the visuals . . .

Einaudi? laugh

Joplin? laugh
Satie?

Weird Al Yankovic?

It will be older than that. Quite a famous chap too!

Pythagoras!

Thank goodness for Goodwill and disposable clothes! [I just bought a stack of brand new T-shirts for 30 cents each].

And I know this is the recital thread but I'm still thinking of Cheryl and all her birthday lobster and shrimp. [Here in Arizona we have fresh lizard, rattlesnake, and cactus]. I want some fresh lobster. Just a taste!

I chose To Zanarkand myself. Might be nice to hear both of our versions. I skipped the 4 bars near the end though, as, while I could play it, I couldn't play it well enough yet(imo) so I am submitting a shortened version of the song.

Carp or muskie? Tongue and Linseed oil

Wear a painter's cap (available at Goodwill too). I don't ever wear hats as I get headaches from them. Plus I have a blockhead so they don't fit well.

Can we get some pics of the lodge & you on the scaffolding? Have you really been up there for 3 months? laugh

Well it seems that way anyway. Occasionally I come down for potty breaks and food but that's about it. Oh, and these pics were taken last week during a large managed fire just behind us so we had the lovely combo of inhaling fishy oil and smoke to choke on all day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mrs. Hunky helped high up on the front while I worked the back.

Btw, on the rear pic, it may look like the three sets of scaffolding are upside down with a stepladder ratchet strapped on top of it all, but it's just an illusion I assure you. I would personally never do that even if I was short a set of scaffolding and was too cheap to buy another set as it's just not safe!

earlofmar, happy birthday my friend. As Jotur said over a year ago...'I'm glad you joined' too!

Casinitaly Nothing really compared to those high school dances [and everything that goes along with them :), hehe!] so if I can rekindle some of those dance floor memories for you I'd be happy too.
Thanks Mr SH, I am glad I found such a lovely place as well.

My my that's one big job you got on your hands there. Make me feel real wimpish for putting off painting our little box we call home.

Originally Posted by Jayden
I chose To Zanarkand myself. Might be nice to hear both of our versions. I skipped the 4 bars near the end though, as, while I could play it, I couldn't play it well enough yet(imo) so I am submitting a shortened version of the song.

You can simplify it a bit instead of shortening the song; just play the chords from the first playthrough instead of the crazy 16ths/triplets/32nds.
Originally Posted by Allard
Originally Posted by Jayden

You can simplify it a bit instead of shortening the song; just play the chords from the first playthrough instead of the crazy 16ths/triplets/32nds.

Yeah I could, but I basically just cut the song to 2 minutes rather than running through essentially the same portion twice (since the song basically repeats the first minute and a half). I just took the ending and shoved it on the first playthrough. When I can finally play it reliably, I would like to do the whole thing. Think I have had enough of To Zanarkand for now :p, if that's possible.

God, I've had to edit out spelling mistakes 4 times in this post. I was just learning Suteki Da Ne, and it's really doing a number on my fingers right now.

Carp or muskie? Tongue and Linseed oil

Wear a painter's cap (available at Goodwill too). I don't ever wear hats as I get headaches from them. Plus I have a blockhead so they don't fit well.

Well it seems that way anyway. Occasionally I come down for potty breaks and food but that's about it. Oh, and these pics were taken last week during a large managed fire just behind us so we had the lovely combo of inhaling fishy oil and smoke to choke on all day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mrs. Hunky helped high up on the front while I worked the back.

Btw, on the rear pic, it may look like the three sets of scaffolding are upside down with a stepladder ratchet strapped on top of it all, but it's just an illusion I assure you. I would personally never do that even if I was short a set of scaffolding and was too cheap to buy another set as it's just not safe!

earlofmar, happy birthday my friend. As Jotur said over a year ago...'I'm glad you joined' too!

Casinitaly Nothing really compared to those high school dances [and everything that goes along with them :), hehe!] so if I can rekindle some of those dance floor memories for you I'd be happy too.

THAT is some log cabin . . . .the logs aren`t even split down the middle! At least you'll have something substantial to fix your shelves onto . . . .I imagine the piano would sound different in such an environment. I don`t have a reverb setting on mine which says "log cabin (enormous)" . . . whome
Whizbang, you mathematician you laugh

Happy birthday, earlofmar smile

Cathy
Casinitaly Nothing really compared to those high school dances [and everything that goes along with them :), hehe!
so if I can rekindle some of those dance floor memories for you I'd be happy too.

smile aw blush That would be swell !

I know my highschool days were pretty tame compared to some, but still....what memories!
Recital's open! All you prepared folks (= Not Me), go for it!!
Spending 30 minutes searching through 'call for submission' thread creation times and waking up early has paid dividends.

In at no.1!
After skipping two recitals, I feel I really should participate again. Got a piece ready, but 30+ takes later still no decent recording. Keep coming up with creative and unique ways to misplay the thing.
Originally Posted by Allard
After skipping two recitals, I feel I really should participate again. Got a piece ready, but 30+ takes later still no decent recording. Keep coming up with creative and unique ways to misplay the thing.

seems like it never gets easier.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums