Frequency of high versus low notes.

Posted by: DarenT

Frequency of high versus low notes. - 01/02/05 04:03 PM

This may be an academic question, nothing affecting my playing, but I am curious. I do not have a piano so cannot check but do I assume correctly that the low notes have shorter strings than the high notes. And as I have heard that opera singers at the higher notes can shatter glass I assume the higher notes have the higher vibrations. So I am wondering what the difference in number of vibrations per second would be for the low end of the keyboard to the upper end, assuming an 88 key board (I only have five octaves on my electronic keyboard).

Thank you.
Posted by: signa

Re: Frequency of high versus low notes. - 01/02/05 04:25 PM

i remember however that lower notes have longer strings and higher ones have shorter strings. if you open the lid of a acoustic piano (grand/upright), you should see it yourself. (check your teacher's one if you don't have one).

btw, if you post this in "Piano Tuner" forum, then many technicians there would have the answer to your question.
Posted by: BDB

Re: Frequency of high versus low notes. - 01/02/05 04:44 PM

An 88-note keyboard goes from 27.5 Hz to 4186 Hz.

The only way you can shatter glass with sound is with very loud sound at precisely the resonant frequency of the glass.
Posted by: Lightnin

Re: Frequency of high versus low notes. - 01/02/05 08:15 PM

There is a chart of piano key frequencies at
http://www.vibrationdata.com/piano.htm
which should identify the end frequencies for the 5 octave keyboard too.
Posted by: mound

Re: Frequency of high versus low notes. - 01/03/05 06:28 AM

I believe the strings are all the same length, they are thicker in the bass and thinner in the treble. just like on a guitar -same length, thicker strings.
Posted by: seebechstein

Re: Frequency of high versus low notes. - 01/03/05 06:52 AM

I suggest y'all search for "physics vibrating string" on google. You need a lesson.
 Quote:
f = (1 / 2L) (T / u)^1/2 where f is frequency, T is tension and u is mass per unit length of the string[/b]
If so, then higher notes are produced either by shortening the string (making L smaller) or by increasing the tension on the string, or by decreasing the mass per unit length on the string. All three are employed on the acoustic piano; the most dramatic of the three are string length variations from a few inches for the highest notes to several feet for the lowest.
Posted by: DarenT

Re: Frequency of high versus low notes. - 01/04/05 02:14 AM

Thank you all. Lightnin's referenced site at http://www.vibrationdata.com/piano.htm has it all and confirms what BDB posted.