Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?

Posted by: Slowbiefatwanna

Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 05:45 PM

I cant seem to remember what it means, if I ever knew. Sorry if this is covered somewhere else.
The note that the letter c is over is an f.
Posted by: Mati

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 05:55 PM

Welcome to the forums!

Do you refer to this?

If so, this is a common time signature equal to 4/4 time signature. More on time signatures here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature

Best regards,
M.
Posted by: AnthonyB

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 06:02 PM

I'm thinking Slowbiefatwanna (thank the designer of copy/paste!) might be referring to the bass clef sign.

The "C" with the two dots. The line between the two dots is an "F" note.

[edit] well, backwards C type thing \:\) [/edit]

well, edit again...

OK, he might be referring to that Common Time (aka 4/4 time signature now that I read the question again. \:\)

I really should read things more carefully.
Posted by: keystring

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 06:12 PM

If it's *over* a note, could it be a C that's turned in its side face down - a fermata*? (Looks like a round eyebrow with a dot in the middle). If so, that means you hold the note.

[*wrong term corrected in post-edit]

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 06:43 PM

I wish i could scan this in for you all to see, but its not a time sig ,, it is over the -top- of the treble clef,, not at the beginning.

if it is a tenuto, that would explain it for the c,, thanks, but on the next phrase there is an F over the top of the treble clef, in the same spot where the c was for the first phrase.. Sorry to be a pain, im only 1 month into this. I took lessons as a child for like 2 minutes,lol.

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 06:48 PM

I put the question on yahoo answers too, there is two answers to it, both of them said it is a chord sign, top let me know what chords go well with that section of melody. Does that sound right?

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 06:48 PM

This is intriguing. What is the name of the piece? Is there a key signature (grouped sharps or flats in the beginning)? Is this from a method book or what kind of source? I'm wondering whether they're indicating chords or the key, or a modulation and not using the regular signs.
Posted by: Mati

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 06:49 PM

It seems it might be a chord if it is over the treble staff. Having F afterwards can only further that possibility.
Posted by: tenders

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 06:54 PM

What piece of music are you looking at? I bet it's an indication that the measure is in the key of C...and the next measure is in the key of F.

Are other measures labeled G and G7?
Posted by: Coolkid70

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by keystring:
If it's *over* a note, could it be a C that's turned in its side face down - a tenuto? (Looks like a round eyebrow with a dot in the middle). If so, that means you hold the note. [/b]
Keystring,

The "eyebrow with a dot in the middle" is actually called a fermata.

A tenuto is a horizontal dash you put over or under a note to indicate a slight accent.

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 07:08 PM

Quote:

A tenuto is a horizontal dash you put over or under a note to indicate a slight accent. [/QB]
Oops, thanks. \:o I think I've mixed up those names before.

What is the meaning of the word "fermata"? It seems to mean to "close" something, so you don't think if it as "holding" a note. Or does this have to do with the way it's used in Bach chorales, for example, where it seems to close or end a phrase?

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 07:11 PM

The piece is "Day Tripper"
and yes there is a d7 and e7 and then a c again for the last phrase,,, heheh
. Looks like we have an answer. Thank you all very much. Now if I can just get the rhythm
Posted by: tenders

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 07:19 PM

For the record, a tenuto can also indicate a fermata-like rubato. Rachmaninoff used it as such in the opening bars of his c# prelude (Op. 3 No. 2).
Posted by: faucon

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 07:52 PM

Quote:
 Quote:

A tenuto is a horizontal dash you put over or under a note to indicate a slight accent. [/b]
Oops, thanks. \:o I think I've mixed up those names before.

What is the meaning of the word "fermata"? It seems to mean to "close" something, so you don't think if it as "holding" a note. Or does this have to do with the way it's used in Bach chorales, for example, where it seems to close or end a phrase? [/QB]
I have several pieces with fermata. I believe it means to hold the note or chord in question for a longer time than one would do normally based on the duration of the notes. The performer can AFAIK hold the note as long as desired.
Posted by: currawong

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 07:53 PM

Quote:
[QUOTE]
What is the meaning of the word "fermata"? It seems to mean to "close" something, so you don't think if it as "holding" a note. [/b]
Simply "pause". Doesn't fermare mean "stop" in Italian?
Posted by: eromlignod

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 08:00 PM

It's just a chord marking. It means that the measure is accompanied by a C chord. This is very common in popular music, but not in classical.

Don
Kansas City

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 08:08 PM

THanks, Currawong. I was after the Italian meaning and maybe a clue as to why that word has been chosen for the musical action indicated by the fermata sign. You see, I keep mixing up the term and calling it "tenuto" because that Italian word means "to hold", and when I first encountered the symbol I learned it meant to "hold" the note or rest. I made the mistake again today.

Babelfish says "fermare" = "to stop" and "fermata" = "stopped". So is the fermata sign also related to stopping, or do we create a feeling of stopping? "Pause" as you've defined it gives that idea of stopping and I like it better than "holding the rest/note" if that's so. It might help fix the name of the term in my mind.
Posted by: Lisztener

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 06/30/08 09:23 PM

Hi all,

Below is a link to the most complete Internet dictionary of musical terms and symbols I've come across. Perhaps you'll all find it as informative as I find it. Immediately to the right of "Z" you will find "Symbols". One can search alphabetically or by symbol. I think it's a fantastic resource. Many terms are displayed in more than one language. \:D

http://www.dolmetsch.com/musicalsymbols.htm

Regards,

Lisztener

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 07/01/08 04:29 AM

Thank you, Lisztener - that link is invaluable as a resource.
Posted by: Alessandro Scotti

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 07/01/08 03:24 PM

keystring, "fermare" does mean "to stop" but "fermata" can also be used as a noun to mean "stop" as in "bus stop".
Ironically, here in Italy that sign is called "corona" ("crown") so it goes after the icon rather than the meaning. :-/

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 07/01/08 03:29 PM

Grazie, Alessandro. (Don't know if I spelled that right). I'm glad I asked the question because the idea of it being a pause makes a lot more musical sense than "note/rest being held". Corona does seem logical.
Posted by: JohannSebastian

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 07/09/08 01:51 PM

What does this symbol mean, didn't find it in Lisztener's link

Posted by: LaValse

Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean? - 07/09/08 02:38 PM

http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory23.htm#arpeggio