i need help from awesome pianist

Posted by: ilovepiano

i need help from awesome pianist - 10/20/08 12:24 PM

hello my name is ever. I'm 18 i started to play piano when i was 8 but i never went to piano school because my family are kind of mean and jealous but okay i was wondering how to read sheet music. because i know my chords which i learned by my self
but i cant read music sheet.you know like the lines in a music sheet i know the letters but is like everytime i play and start reading i cant seem to get the right letter its hard to explain but is like if im blind that i cant seem to find the right key for that note \:\)
Posted by: Mark...

Re: i need help from awesome pianist - 10/20/08 01:57 PM

http://www.emusictheory.com/practice/pianoKeys.html
Posted by: apple*

Re: i need help from awesome pianist - 10/20/08 02:11 PM

at your service... \:\)

go join the adult beginner forum.
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/forum/32.html

you'll love it.

Re: i need help from awesome pianist - 10/20/08 02:59 PM

thanks
Posted by: derekp

Re: i need help from awesome pianist - 10/20/08 04:39 PM

One thing you don't want to do is depend on a mnemonic device, such as "every good boy does fine" (e g b d f) to learn the notes -- it takes far to long to go through the phrase every time you you read a note.

One suggestion I've heard is to learn certain notes, then you can quickly figure out the others as long as you can count alphabetically both forward and backward. For example, the C's are in a mirror image in the top and bottom clefs. Also, in the bottom clef, called the "F" clef, the symbol at the beginning is a stylized F where the two dots surround the F line (the second line from the top). And the G clef on top, the G line (second from the bottom) is circled by the symbol (a stylized G).

After you get the C, F, and G notes burned into your brain, then you can add them in one at a time (there's only 4 more to go).
Posted by: apple*

Re: i need help from awesome pianist - 10/21/08 10:01 AM

my apologies ilovepiano..

i didn't realize you had posted this in the adult beginner forum
Posted by: TrapperJohn

Re: i need help from awesome pianist - 10/21/08 10:37 AM

ilovepiano - Welcome to the ABF and good luck and have fun.

Regards, JF

P.S. Modern computer keyboards are now capable of generating capital letters, especially at the beginning of sentences - thought you might like to know ;\)
Posted by: melwig

Re: i need help from awesome pianist - 10/21/08 11:03 AM

I'm six months into learning the piano. I played trumpet in high school, so I can read treble cleff. I needed some help with reading base cleff more spontaneously. I made up some flash cards with ledger lines and a note on one side and the letter of the note for the answer on the back side. I carry them around in my shirt pocket or backpack and frequently run through them when I have a few minutes. Repetition is the process of learning.

Re: i need help from awesome pianist - 12/28/08 12:14 PM

so im still having a hard time
Posted by: KaylaX

Re: i need help from awesome pianist - 12/28/08 12:39 PM

Dont be so hard on yourself. You are not going to learn overnight. Practice, Practice, Practice!!!

Ive been playing piano for 8-months and I still struggle with reading the bass clef. Keep at it and eventually it will click.

I have a question... Are you having problems navigating around on the keyboard????

Anyway, take it slow, a few notes at a time.

Good Luck!!!! KaylaX
Posted by: Lisztener

Re: i need help from awesome pianist - 12/28/08 01:40 PM

ilovepiano,

pay no attention to any poster who does not wish to understand that english is not your first language. you are doing fine at making yourself understood whether using capital letters or not.

good luck,

lisztener

Re: i need help from awesome pianist - 12/29/08 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisztener:
ilovepiano,

pay no attention to any poster who does not wish to understand that english is not your first language. you are doing fine at making yourself understood whether using capital letters or not.

lisztener [/b]
ilovepiano - pay no attention to any poster who offers you no other advice than to "pay no attention to any poster . . ." :p

Regards, JF
Posted by: Lisztener

Re: i need help from awesome pianist - 12/29/08 04:46 PM

JF,

\:D Let's try to start the New Year on a much better note, OK?

I'll begin by wishing you a

HAPPY NEW YEAR[/b]

Sincerely,

Lisztener
Posted by: galex

Re: i need help from awesome pianist - 12/29/08 06:04 PM

widely offtopic: lisztener, I love your name. Just thought of mentioning that 'liszt' means 'flour' [the white cereal powder used in baking, hope I got it right]in hungarian. \:\)

Re: i need help from awesome pianist - 12/29/08 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisztener:
JF,

\:D Let's try to start the New Year on a much better note, OK? [/b]
Sounds good to me - but which one, Bb or F# ? ;\) \:D

Quote:
I'll begin by wishing you a

HAPPY NEW YEAR[/b]

Sincerely,

Lisztener [/b]