New Member restarting the piano

Posted by: Richard72

New Member restarting the piano - 12/18/08 04:30 PM

Hi,
just thought I'd get my first message posted. My aim once the Christmas break starts is to get back to playing the piano which I haven't played for a long time- this could be a disaster!
Posted by: majones

Re: New Member restarting the piano - 12/18/08 06:41 PM

Welcome and remember it's supposed to be fun.
Posted by: Ivory Dreams

Re: New Member restarting the piano - 12/18/08 08:41 PM

Welcome to the forum Richard.
Posted by: blues flat 7

Re: New Member restarting the piano - 12/18/08 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard72:
Hi,
just thought I'd get my first message posted. My aim once the Christmas break starts is to get back to playing the piano which I haven't played for a long time- this could be a disaster! [/b]
Hi Richard... I am another new member starting. Have you picked a method yet? I wrote a list of the ones I want to work with on a thread called Pop Piano Pro and Adult Piano Adventures
Enjoy the journey

Flat 7
Posted by: musdan

Re: New Member restarting the piano - 12/18/08 10:47 PM

Welcome Richard and enjoy the ride. \:\)
Posted by: mydnyt

Re: New Member restarting the piano - 12/18/08 10:50 PM

Welcome to forums Richard! \:\) Glad to have you on board! \:\)
Posted by: Bex

Re: New Member restarting the piano - 12/19/08 02:07 AM

Hi Richard,

I re-started the piano 9 months ago, in March, so I know how you feel. It's slow going at first but you will gain momentum as the months wear on. I re-started piano by re-learning a couple of Bach 2-part Inventions, then a 3-part invention, then a Chopin nocturne. I performed all 4 in a recital in June. Then I learned and performed Brahms' Intermezzo, Opus 10, No. 2, performed that several times. I'm gaining speed and dexterity and hope to do a duo recital in the next year or so.
Posted by: Bex

Re: New Member restarting the piano - 12/19/08 02:05 PM

Richard: How long did you play before you stopped? At what level are you?

Re: New Member restarting the piano - 12/19/08 02:45 PM

Wow, I didn't expect such a good response. Sadly I stopped "properly" in 1999. That's when I left home and where the piano is. I've been playing on and off with my electric piano, but regardless of the quality of sound, it's just not the same. My mother says I can take the piano but that may cause a great number of problems.
Posted by: GreenRain

Re: New Member restarting the piano - 12/19/08 02:55 PM

Hello Richard!

Im not adult, im only 17, but i also restart in January (However, i was not serious until May)

I didnt play for 18 months, and before that i played for 7 years, but last 3 years i practiced very rarely.

At the begging it is very hard, expecially if you are restarting after 10 years!

Which pieces could you play before you quited?

I suggest you to find good teacher. You wont beleive how much it helps you, and how good its for motivation!

Take care and enjoy playing! \:\)

Re: New Member restarting the piano - 12/21/08 03:26 PM

Hi GreenRain,
it's certainly not easy to just pick up after such a long time. My favourite pieces I used to play were Beethovens First Movement and Albumblatt and The Entertainer. What do you play?

Does anyone have any other tips for returning pianists?
Posted by: Kymber

Re: New Member restarting the piano - 12/22/08 12:58 PM

Hi Richard72,
You might be a little rusty at first. But, if you could play it before you can play it again.
I think you will be just fine.
Welcome to the forum.
\:\)