Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)

Posted by: Opus45

Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/27/06 05:40 PM

We are looking for others who want to participate in shared learning groups through the ABF.

Here's how[/b]: 1. Let us know you want to participate in this thread , 2. Decide which pieces you want to learn to play (suggest any that are not on the current list), 3. We'll match you up with others who also want to learn to play those same pieces.

The list of participants and piano pieces have been relocated to this thread
Posted by: ShiroKuro

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/27/06 08:22 PM

Opus, your musical tastes sound like they fit mine pretty closely. So of course that interests me right there. But I'm not sure what you have in mind? Do you mean choosing a piece, and we'd all work on the same piece (hopefully from the same score) so that we could kind of "peer-teach" ourselves through it? If that's what you mean, it sounds like a great idea. Except that I personally seem to be going through an impulsive phase, where I keep adding more and more pieces to my practice list, so I'm probably at the bursting stage! :p

"The Virtuosic Christmas Performer" sounds interesting, "showy solos" that's what I want! off to Amazon for a look. \:\)

I need to look at Linus & Lucy again. I'm interested in adding something fancy to my Christmas repertoire this year, one possibility is George Winston's Canon, or his version of the Carol of Bells (which I love!!)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/27/06 09:12 PM

Hello ShiroKuro,
What I have in mind is pretty much as you describe, choosing a piece (or pieces) and "peer-teach".

I would suggest we spend about a week & see who else might have an interest, and then ask for ideas. We'll want to have a little structure, yet be as flexible as possible to accomodate different schedules/etc.. Perhaps we might want to work up a list (separate lists for classical/new age/modern/jazz/other?). I would guess that some folks might only want to participate for certain pieces and not others...perhaps some folks will already have mastered something we're working on in which case might be willing to advise the rest of us, etc...

By the way, the Virtuosic Christmas Performer has a version of "Carol of the Bells"...I have George Winston's December CD & also enjoy his version of the same...not sure if I could play that anytime soon. I do want to master (once and for all) "Linus & Lucy", and I'd like to do it before this holiday season!

One person already responded by Email indicating interest.
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/27/06 09:47 PM

Sign me up...! I really really really want to learn Linus and Lucy so I hope that ends up getting chosen.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/27/06 10:02 PM

I just spent 20 minutes looking for my advanced version of Linus & Lucy and can't find it...I think I'm going to have to order it again, but I'll wait to see what else may show up on our group learning list (save on shipping costs).
In addition to sounding cool & being a crowd pleaser, Linus & Lucy really looks FUN to play. I have no doubt others will also want to tackle that one!

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/27/06 10:06 PM

Isn't the original key a 4-5 sharp deal? I have a simplified one too, and I thought I had another version, but it must be in the same place your is, Opus! Will look again...

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/27/06 10:12 PM

Actually, 4 Flats, which I think is A-flat Major (I usually play things without knowing what key I'm playing in...)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/27/06 10:16 PM

Flats, sharps, they're all black keys to me! :rolleyes:

BTW, I can't find a link for the Virtuosic Christmas Performer (thought I did find another collection by Ms Goldston) I checked Amazon and another sheet music site, any other suggestions Opus?
Posted by: TX-Dennis

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/27/06 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus45:

I've also been wanting to nail down "Linus & Lucy" as well.

Thoughts? [/b]
Linus & Lucy is one of my favorites. It's also one of the pieces I used to be able to play before my 20 year playing hiatus, but no longer can do justice to. I guess I could play the "easy" version, but those are usually so boring.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/27/06 10:51 PM

Opus, I finally found the Virtuosic Christmas Performer (why is virtuosic so hard to spell!)

The Silent Night arrangement looks pretty nice, virtuosic even! \:\)

I wonder if I might be so bold as to ask if you could some how scan in just a few lines from Carol of the Bells (preferably somewhere in the middle perhaps?) so I could see what it looks like before I decide whether or not to buy it. I have about a billion arrangements of Silent Night, so it would be Carol of the Bells that I'd be after, but it's really expensive to buy from Japan unfortunately, so I hate to buy without being able to take a look. If you can't scan or take digital picture, could you perhaps describe it a bit? Sorry, this is a lot to ask, if it's a hassle just pretend there was a blind spot on your screen and you didn't see this message. You could always say "the sun was in my eyes."  \:\)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/28/06 08:54 AM

LOL, ShiroKuro, sure I would be happy to do this for you. I have a scanner in my office...if I'm out & able to stop in I'll do this today or tomorrow, otherwise it will be Tuesday morning (Monday is a holiday for most of us in the U.S.). I think you will like this version of Carol of the Bells, it's not as difficult as George Winston's version, but not as "plain" as many versions that you find in generic Christmas music books. (Didn't see your last post last night...I was probably already sleeping when you wrote it...funny thing being on opposite sides of the globe) Now I'm having my morning coffee & you're probably getting sleepy.

Edit [ShiroKuro, While you were sleeping, I stopped by my office to scan the Carol for you and saved it as a PDF. I sent Email to you through this forum...if you respond back to the Email address I provided, I'll be able to attach the PDF document and you'll have it (hope you appreciate this because my boss was there & I got sucked into working a bit ;\) )]
Posted by: SAnnM AB-2001

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/28/06 12:10 PM

Sign me up! I've been thinking about starting a Christmas piece already and with my lessons ending for a couple of months it sounds like the perfect way to keep me in line.... although I do have a full plate of "needs polishing" and "can't remember anymore" pieces and a new one!!... that I have promised to work on.... :rolleyes: But I really would like to have an impressive Christmas piece under my fingers by November!
Posted by: folly

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/28/06 03:40 PM

Please add me to the interested list. Thank you.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/28/06 07:14 PM

Sandy,Are you interested in "Linus and Lucy", or a different piece?
folly, you've been added to the list (glad you decided to join us)
ShiroKuro, I just sent the Carol to your EMail.
TX-Dennis, so are you in?
Posted by: Kawaigirl1

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/28/06 08:19 PM

Hi Opus,

Count me in. I just found my music for "Linus & Lucy" but I'm not sure if it's the same version as what you guys have. My score is from the book called 'Charlie Brown's Greatest Hits".

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/28/06 08:43 PM

Glad you're joining in kawaigirl !
Is your version of Linus and Lucy an advanced version?
I still can't find mine, so I'll need to order another one.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/28/06 08:55 PM

Once you know what version is the best to work from, can you post a link to amazon or sheetmusciplus so I can order it? I was baffled by the large number of options out there when I googled it.

p.s. I'm going to be out of town all next week, so I may not be able to order it and/or start on anything until I get back.
Posted by: petrof1

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/28/06 09:18 PM

\:\)
Sure! Sign me up. I am in the late intermediate level. I have the Linus and Lucy song in my book, "The Vince Guaraldi Collection" It has four flats, A,B,D and E. Is this the arrangement you are refering to? I wouldn't mind learning to play it, I have never tried to learn music over a forum before so it could be FUN! ;\)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/28/06 09:28 PM

Monica, I've been told the advanced version with 4 flats (key of A-Flat) is a good one.

Everyone: I was thinking of continuing the recruiting process until at least June 5th?? Then polling everyone who is interested for ideas in terms of how best to organize our learning group (i.e. different groups for classical, new age, jazz, modern, christmas, etc...how many pieces (maybe 2 ambitious classical pieces for rest of 2006 (one per quarter?) just to see how it goes) etceteras.. for a possible start time toward the middle-end of June? How does this sound?

petrof1, Excellent. Glad you're joining in!

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 07:54 AM

sounds good! I wouldn't mind learning Victors Piano Solo, anybody else?

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 09:00 AM

Opus, waiting till June 5th sounds good.

Kawaigirl, I have a blue book (why am I always at the computer without any music books, but I think it's the same title you posted) and it has a simplified version of Linus & Lucy (that I didn't personally like) I am going tosee if I have the 4-flat version and if not, order it.

BTW Opus, I am going to order that Virtuosic Christmas Book, wanna do Carol of the Bells too? \:\)

Hey, Petrof1, is that by Danny Elfman, from the movie Corpse Bride? Where did you get the score? I have so far seen two version, one I didn't like, and the other was actually a medley from that movie. And I usually dislike medleys. Anyway, I really want to play that too. (Maybe it's not the same one, because now I'm thinking that the one I saw was called Piano Duet) Anyway, I want to play the piece he plays when he's just about to meet her for the first time, in the hall there. \:\)

Opus, how 'bout everyone join me in suffering through Croatian Rhapsody! :p

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 09:46 AM

I ordered Victor's Piano Solo from the Sheetmusicplus.com website , it was $3.95, not including the shipping. The publisher of the sheetmusic is Alfred Publishing Co.Inc. You might be able to order it from alfred.com as well. Yes, this is the one by Danny Elfman. It is from the Corpse Bride
movie. The music is 2 pages.It has a C,D,F and G sharp. ;\)
Posted by: yellowville

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 10:45 AM

I would be very interested in learning a fancy Christmas piece. In the past I wouldn't get started on my Christmas music until after Thanksgiving, and would have to settle for playing distinctly UNimpressive pieces on Christmas eve.

Or maybe a nice jazz solo.

I once had a creepy boyfriend who played Linus and Lucy over and over, so that's out for me!

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 10:49 AM

I was really impressed with Mike White's performance of Chopin's Waltz in A-flat in the past recital (and he is totally self taught!). I would consider tackling this one...and like many of us here, I enjoy most anything Chopin, so if enough folks want to learn something else Chopin, I'm in (unless I've already learned it, in which case I'll just "listen in" for clues on how I might improve it & maybe share a suggestion?)

I'm still looking through my "wish list". I'm defininetly in for Linus & Lucy & know that will definitetly be a challenge for me.

(by the way, I'll do my best to not miss any suggestions posted here by participants, but if I happen to miss a suggestion, please Email me and I'll add it to the list)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 10:52 AM

from Yellowville:
 Quote:
I once had a creepy boyfriend who played Linus and Lucy over and over, so that's out for me!
LOL!!! Okay, I understand. But you know, the only way I'm going to be able to play "Linus and Lucy" is to play it over and over.
I'll add you to the list (but not for L&L)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 11:08 AM

Opus, ShiroKuro was KIDDING about that Croation Rhapsody! Weren't you, ShiroKuro??!! Please say yes! [starts to feel more than a little desperate, as there's no way she is up to tackling that piece based on what it sounds like and what the sheet music excerpt looks like].
Posted by: loveschopintoomuch

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 11:49 AM

I would love to sign up. However, I have never heard of any of the selections.

My musical taste runs to the classical...Chopin topping of the list. \:\)

I am currently putting the finishing touches on that Chopin A minor waltz and if that would be added, I could give some tips on how I conquered the difficult measures.

And I can play the easier preludes.

Well, what to do?

Perhaps have another Group that deals with intermediate -early advanced classical pieces? I know I should "branch out? in my tastes, but, as someone mentioned on this forum, you HAVE to play what you HAVE to play.

And I HAVE to play the classics.

Any other people who feel the same?

Otherwise, I think this is a wonderful idea.

Kathleen

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 12:15 PM

Hello Kathleen,
Glad you're joining in! I have a feeling several Chopin pieces will end up on the list. You mention that you're putting finishing touches on his A-minor Waltz...this is a piece I am thinking about starting myself (anyone else interested in learning this together?).
If you have a certain Chopin piece that is on your "wish list" (or anything else), let me know & I'll add it to the list.
We're still recruiting & fishing for ideas & hope to get somewhat organized during the month of June.

Monica: LOL, I didn't realize ShiroKuro was kidding...i still haven't heard the Croatian Rhapsody, but from the looks of what she posted (difficult music passages w/ 16th notes/rests), YIPES....not sure I could manage that one without much difficulty.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 12:20 PM

Kathleen: I also love Chopin and have been looking for a classical piece that I can learn next that is NOT Chopin -- just for variety's sake. One that I've been thinking of is Melodie by Jules Massenet. Also, Waltz in A flat by Brahms, which might be too hard, but I still love it. (You can listen to the beginnings of these pieces by searching for them on Amazon).

You might also like some of Scriabin's preludes.

Pianist magazine often has excellent intermediate classical pieces; someone there seems to share my taste...

Do you have any leads on "intermediate pieces that someone who likes Chopin would like"?

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 01:05 PM

Opus 45

I learned Chopin's Raindrop Prelude many years ago and have to relearn it, Op. 28, #15 in D flat. It's listed as a level 9 in a Conservatory of Music school syllabus. One level down from a 10, then a teacher, then a performer. I found it difficult, mostly because of the crowding of notes. But in another editon, there's most white space and I think a person of late intermediate-early advanced could succeed in playing it. I would like to add that one to my wish list.

Yellowville: You are perfectly correct in that I have to branch out and play other composer's pieces. I know there are many that are just as wonderful (well, almost) as Chopins'.

About your question...do you mean intermediate pieces by Chopin or other composers who are similiar to Chopin in nature?

The "easiest" Chopin preludes are: Op. 28, #4, #6, #7, #20,

Mazurkas: Op. 67, #3, #4, Op. 68, #3

I have a wonderful collection called: The Romantic Period: A Repertory of Piano Works by Masters of the 19th Century. So many of the famous works of all the composers of this time period.

I'll study it and I am sure I will find pieces that could be very likely candidates for a Classical Class...if you want to do that. Or perhaps just add a few of them to the main class.

On to wash the dog!

Kathleen

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 05:00 PM

I hate to overload the list with Chopin, but since we'll vote on which peices to tackle, I'll throw another one into the mix.
I "dabbled" with his Waltz in C-Sharp Minor few years ago, and would love to finally get this one under my belt. I think this one would be one of those "real fun to play" pieces, and though challenging, I think it looks "doable" (maybe with a lot of hands seperate work first?).

Anyone have good suggestions for jazz/new age/modern pieces that would be good additions to the list?
Posted by: Pianolina

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 05:43 PM

Chopin's Waltz in C# Minor is a gorgeous piece - I'm actually in the process of polishing it right now. If you're going to study that one, could you let me know? I'd be curious to see what kinds of interpretive details people come up with.

Actually, could you let me know if you end up doing the Raindrop Prelude too? Another lovely piece, and not one I had studied (yet). Both those pieces are in my old Grade 9 book so they should be of comparable difficulty. Come to think, this Grade 9 book - containing pieces for the Royal Conservatory of Music in Canada - is probably what Kathleen is referring to. My edition is from about 10 years ago, but I rediscovered it recently and found quite a few nice pieces in it. If you happened to come across one for cheap at some point, it's worth picking up.
Posted by: Mr Super-Hunky

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 05:57 PM

Opus:

I really love your idea and would like to participate, however, I not a very good sight reader, thus, all the "improvising".

I'm IN as long as I can make up my own version of what everyone picks, (although this probably defeates the purpose of the whole exercise)!. Anyway, if I can't add a little, or more like a lot to whatever you pick, thats okay, I still like your idea and will look forward to what everyone accomplishes.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 06:51 PM

Linus and Lucy works for me ....although I've never seen the sheet music

....off I go to search......

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 07:22 PM

S-H, Everyone is welcome, of course. The only folks who would not be welcome are people who are rude and offensive (trolls).

I'm going to do my best to help structure these so that the groups run themselves, and I ask anyone and everyone for suggestions on how best to do this. I am only acting as a catalyst for these groups...they will become whatever everyone wants them to become.

I'm not sure how everyone else might feel about the number of pieces we work...but I would imagine something like one intermediate level peice per month OR one advanced level piece per quarter(?). I guess we would have to look at the list of pieces, then kind of decide how the group wants to approach them. For me personally, it might be reasonable to take 3 months to master a Chopin Waltz, or "Linus & Lucy", because these are very challenging peices (at least for me!). For more intermediate level pieces, I would guess a month would be adequate. I want to motivate myself, and have a lot of fun in the process, without unecessarily pressuring myself. I am anxious to see how others might feel about this as well. The recital was a great way to motivate me to learn to play "Take Five" and I'm hoping this group sharing process will help motivate me to learn other pieces more efficiently than I might otherwise.

Improvising..., what a great idea! What would you think about also having a group devoted to the art of improvising? As far as blending improvising with reading that also sounds extremely interesting. I wonder if jazz, new age, & modern would be the best groups for this?

Pianolina, welcome!

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 07:27 PM

I'm in for "Linus and Lucy"

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 10:00 PM

Opus: I don't know if you saw it but on a couple of us are interested in learning"Victor's Piano Solo." Check a couple of the posts on the first page.

incidently I'd love to learn "take five" too, I have the music for that I've been able to handle a little of it but I have found it to be quite a challenge. Good for you for accomplishing that song!
I like Chopin but I would prefer to learn those pieces with my teacher.

I'm still interested in Linus and Lucy.

Maybe we'll have to work together in a few different groups to accomodate all interests.
I am excited, this should be fun!

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 10:08 PM

Hello Petrof,
I'm re-editing the list on the first post of the first page of this thread. (I added "Victors Piano Solo this morning")...i also found it & listened to it (I also have the CD somewhere in my house). I haven't seen the written music yet.

I think you might be right about having different groups.

(I'm actually still working on Take Five) Did you want me to add take five to the list & see if there are any other takers?

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 10:15 PM

Yes Opus, please add " take five" to the list. The music I have has G,A,B,C,D and E flats. I think this song is on the advanced level though dont't you? I've been able to pick up on some of the measures, alot of it has to with putting both hands together.
I find that to be quite a challenge.

Thanks! ;\)
Posted by: dannylux

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/29/06 11:35 PM

Hi Opus:

Please add me to your list.

From the suggestions so far, my 1st choice would be Chopin's Waltz in c# minor.

This piece really has everything, from the mysterious, Gypsy-like opening, then the wonderful, fast right hand finger work, and the gorgeous melody in the middle section in D flat.

Chopin's Nocturne No. 2 in E flat would also be good to learn, as well as the A flat Waltz.

That Melodie by Massenet, is that the Meditation from Thais?

If so, that would be high on my list.

As for Christmas songs, there is just nothing more beautiful than "O Holy Night".

A nice early-advanced arrangement in D flat would be fantastic.

There's something about the key of D flat that imparts a tremendous warmth and richness to a piece of music.

Thanks.

Mel
Posted by: tolovemoon

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/30/06 01:42 AM

Hey now, that sounds like a great idea! May I sign up too?

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/30/06 07:16 AM

Erm,. now I'm getting confused...

Opus, not to put all the burden on you, but could you make a list of what's on the list? Maybe in categories by style or music or something?

I definitely second Take Five...

And Victor's Solo

And Croatian Rhapsody, esp for Monica! \:\) Actually if people are interested in that, misery loves company! \:\)

Opus, I think you did listen to Croatian Rhapsody, it's the piece I posted a link for in my "Listen to this piece" thread. I remember thinking that if you might like it because it has a really cool LH.

What about new age? Winston's Canon is kind of a grey area isn't it, because the original isn't new age, but he's considered a new age artist.

Also, isn't it the case that everyone doesn't have to work on every piece? So if there are a few different styles, someone might only be doing one?

S-H, I think it would be really interested to hear the different renditions of people playing from the score and an improvised version.

Oh wow, you know, I am just going to have to quit my job to get all of this on my practice menu! :p
Posted by: rocky

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/30/06 07:32 AM

Wow, guess we have quite a few intermidiate to advanced adult beginners.....I'm definitely not at the intermediate level yet I don't believe so I will have to pass, but a great idea!

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/30/06 08:49 AM

Mel & tolovemoon,
Very glad you two are also joining in!

rocky (how about next year?)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/30/06 09:31 AM

Wow!

What a great selection of compositions.

I am assumming we are going to "weed-out" many of them; otherwise, it could take some of us years to get through them all.

I love the idea AND I love this forum.

Kathleen

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/30/06 10:42 AM

You're right Kathleen, We'll keep collecting ideas for a couple weeks, then we'll poll everyone. I haven't figured out how best to do this, anyone have suggestions on how to poll everyone? Maybe we can have everyone rank the selections in each category (or at least the categories that people are interested in) then we could develop a schedule from that? For the groups, we'll only be able to form them if there is enough interest for the individual pieces, and even then we may only be able to choose those at the top of the list(?).

ShiroKuro, have George Winstons versions actually been released yet (legally?)? I haven't checked. Even so, Croatian Rhapsody & George Winston pieces?? YIPES! We might need a "gifted students" group for those pieces. Not sure I could tackle either of those within a short period of time.
I'm recommeding we allocate a month for intermediate level pieces and a quarter for advanced level pieces. What do you think?
Posted by: Agilita

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/30/06 10:51 AM

Please count me in! No idea what level I play at but willing to try. I simply can't fit piano lessons into my day currently so this is a great idea. I've been listening to a CD with the Raindrop Prelude and was thinking I'd like to play it. But is it really a level 9?

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/30/06 10:55 AM

Welcome Agilita, Glad you're joining in, I'll add you to the list since here (on break at work).

ShiroKuro (and others): Good idea! I'll organize the "suggestions list" into categories.
Posted by: SAS

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/30/06 01:55 PM

This sounds interesting. I'm maybe a little below the level of some of these pieces, but I'd like to give it a try. I'll have to check my version of Linus and Lucy when I get home, and I also think I have a version of Carol of the Bells, but I'll look at that book also. I need something to get me motivated lately, I've been in a slump.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/30/06 03:54 PM

Maybe we can help you out of that slump SAS, glad you're joining in. I'll add you to the list. (By the way, I'm also technically below the level of these pieces...I push myself before I'm "technically" ready....so sue me!)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/30/06 05:57 PM

Opus, good point. Winston's sheet music is only legally available on his anniversary CDs (and each of those only includes one piece.) So if someone doesn't already have those, it's a rather expensive way to just get one score.

Hey, did you edit the first post here? I went back to see what we had talked about with regard to Winston, and there's a big fancy list! \:\) Great!

Anyway, maybe we should take Canon off unless a lot of people say they want to do GW's Canon, and that they have the sheet music.

I looked for sheet music for Croatian Rhapsody on a few US sites, but didn't find it anywhere. Since the score I have is from a Japanese publication maybe it's best to leave that one off the list. I'll just suffer through it on my own! ;\)
Posted by: Nina

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 11:31 AM

Um, I might be interested.

But I can't figure out exactly what we're going to do.

Do we pick a piece (from the list, or any piece), record it and ask for feedback?
Posted by: FurElise

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 12:27 PM

Opus--count me in please. I'm an avid knitter and this reminds me of what we call, knitalongs. Folks knit the same pattern and post back and forth with their questions, observations, and pictures.

I am curious to see how this will work. But, I think the idea is great. Especially as I've been thinking about posting for help. I've just gotten my Privia 310 and have been "noodling" but with no direction or structure. This group might help me focus.

I would guess that I'm at the very beginning of Intermediate. I took eight to 10 years of lessons way back when and haven't really played for over 30 years--rusty is an understatement.

As for music, I don't know Linus and Lucy, but sounds like fun. I love Chopin and really want to play anything of his leading up to his Polonaises--a bit ambitious. I also want to learn Joplin--if I can ever get my two hands to work properly.

I'm game for anything, but would like instructions on how to obtain the music we decide to work on.

Also, does this forum offer a chat room? Or, we could take this off forum and form a Yahoo group. Just a couple of suggestions.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 01:53 PM

Hi Nina
We're still pretty much in the discussion phase, but I would imagine that everything you mentioned would likely be part of this group learning experience. However, I might also think if someone is already capable of picking a piece and recording it right off the bat, then they might more likely be offering feedback to others rather than asking for feedback?

I think what we have in mind for these groups is a process that might look something like this (we're also looking for discussion/feedback on how to structure these groups):

1. Finding music we want to learn to play (something both motivating to learn, and challenging to play) & placing it on a list, then the group decides which piece(s) they want to work on as a group. This may result in more than one group.
2. Then the group can develop a schedule & start working on it. (I've already suggested a month for intermediate pieces, or 3-6 months for an advanced piece, depending?).
3. How the group works on pieces together is the interesting part...this may be planned a bit in our discussions, then may be modified as we go along. Some folks here are bound to have some good suggestions?
3. At some point (December 2006?) the group can evaluate the whole experience & decide on whether or not to continue with new pieces, or to change the format & continue or not.

With regard to recording, I would imagine that even recording small sections of the piece might be very motivating and helpful for the group during the learning process. If someone has a really good grasp on how a certain phrase should be played, then they could share it in the group. And conversely, if they're having trouble & are brave enough to record their trouble spot for everyone to hear, then I'm more than certain feedback will be readily available.

I also want to emphasize that this will NOT be my group(s). I am ONLY acting as a catalyst to get them going, and am volunteering to help collect names & pieces & help get us started. I will be a group participant, and not a group leader. I do not feel technically qualified to lead a piano learning group, but I do feel qualified to participate. So please, everyone pipe in & share your ideas!

(hope this helps you & others & I hope you actually decide to join in )

[Edit: Hello FurElise (didn't see your post...glad you're joining in, I'll add you to the list]

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 02:06 PM

FurElise,

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm still trying to figure out a way to compile all the suggestions in one place & have the group decide on how best to organize the groups.

I was thinking of using this forum, one thread per group per piece? I have never formed a yahoo group & would need help with that if that ends up being the best and most favored idea.

Any other ideas out there?

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 02:57 PM

Opus:
There must be a moderator or admin person for this forum--perhaps if he or she were contacted, they might offer some suggestions on how to proceed.

One advantage of the Yahoo Group is that it's done by messages rather than creating a super-long thread of many pages. You reply to the message or post a new message. There's also places for keeping files, setting up a chat room, and so on. I do believe (and don't take this personally) that any boob can start a Yahoo Group. There are thousands of them. Also, you find additional folks--which may or not be a good thing.

To start off, this is my two cents. Is to see how it works on this forum before waltzing (couldn't resist) off and starting something that would also require learning a new way to interact. I would think that this should be kept as simple as possible in the beginning and then see it enfolds.

I'm sure that everyone will have an opinion and will be willing to do what makes this idea succeed. You are a brave soul for taking this on.

I'm looking forward to how this plays (sorry) out.
Posted by: markb

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 03:26 PM

Quote:
I do believe (and don't take this personally) that any boob can start a Yahoo Group.
From what I know of Opus45, he does not appear to be just any boob.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 03:28 PM

thanks markb, i think :p
Posted by: Mike White

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 03:52 PM

I'm in. I needed an excuse to work on Raindrop anyway.
Mike White

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 04:28 PM

Does Opus have boobs?

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 06:51 PM

Mike, Glad you decided to join in. I think there will be a few folks wanting to work on the Raindrop (I may be one of them). By the way, you might be amused to know I saved a copy of your Waltz in A-Flat from the last recital in case I decide to work on that one too.

Agilita, nope, no boobs

FurElise, I agree on keeping it simple! (I'll have enough challenge learning these peices)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 07:05 PM

Quote:
Hi Nina
We're still pretty much in the discussion phase, but I would imagine that everything you mentioned would likely be part of this group learning experience. However, I might also think if someone is already capable of picking a piece and recording it right off the bat, then they might more likely be offering feedback to others rather than asking for feedback?
[/b]
Oh, on re-reading my post I can see where you're coming from. No way can I pick up the Raindrop Prelude, for example, and just record it.

I mean, technically I could, but it wouldn't bear much resemblance to what Freddie had in mind when he composed it.

So, to be clear, we pick a piece from the list, work frantically on it for months, hope we get it into some reasonable, unembarrassed shape, record it, then post it? \:\)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 07:33 PM

Opus:

Don't overthink this whole thing!, just pick a song, a date and go with it!!. (executive descision time)

I did this with the online recital and it worked out great. Of course, there will be suggestions along the way, but you can't please everyone!. This is YOUR thing, so make the descisions and get it going. We will all follow your command, and if needed, possibly make a few positive suggestions along the way if needed.

Now, "instruct" us on what song, when etc.
Posted by: Cookie74

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 08:29 PM

I'm new to this forum. This looks like a good idea. I play mostly classical, so I'll probably be in that group. Chopin is always good, but how come no one has suggested Beethoven? There are a lot of sonata movements that are doable. We just have to find one. Also there are some bagatelles and variations that might be intermediate/early advanced. Some others that I can think of:

Schumann--Kinderscenen (any of these)
Schubert--Impromptu in G (definitely advanced, but how could you not want to play it?)
Debussy--Reverie or Claire de Lune, possibly an arabesque
Mozart--of course
Bach--2 part and 3 part inventions, some preludes
Grieg--some of the Lyric pieces would be doable.

I don't expect you to list all these, but I thought I'd broaden our classical horizons from Chopin only.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 09:22 PM

I listened to a download of the CROATIAN RHAPSODY, it is a beautiful song. It sounds hard, but I would like to see the sheet music for it
to see if I could attempt to play it. So if anybody is gamed to try that song with me , I might be interested. ;\)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 09:34 PM

Cookie74, Glad you're joining in (and welcome to this forum) I'll add you to the list. I'll also add the specific pieces you mentioned on your list of suggestions.

Super-Hunky, Here is the tentative schedule that was proposed over the Memorial Weekend. I am not personally opposed to starting sooner, but I do think this schedule is reasonable enough to accomodate everyone. I also think in the long run, it will be better to get everyone involved in deciding how to organize the group, rather than someone making an executive decision and imposing that on the group.

Tentative Schedule 2006[/b]
June Week One: Recruiting & Ideas
June Week Two: Suggestions for piano pieces for the Group (Classical, Jazz, Modern, Other).
June Week Three: Open discussions/suggestions on how to organize the groups & develop a music schedule.
June Week Four: Obtain music (purchase hard copies/download or share?)
July: Start new pieces, in group(s) of choice
August-December: Continued work on pieces and/or start new pieces, as desired.
December: Evaluate Experience & Decide on whether or not to continue in 2007.

Everyone:[/b]
It's time to submit piano pieces for consideration. When you do, please indicate who wrote the piece, and in what category the piece belongs (Classical, Jazz, New Age, Modern, Others?) as well as whether you believe the piece should be classified as intermediate or advanced (for the group). [/b]

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 09:39 PM

Quote:
I listened to a download of the CROATIAN RHAPSODY, it is a beautiful song. It sounds hard, but I would like to see the sheet music for it
to see if I could attempt to play it. So if anybody is gamed to try that song with me , I might be interested.
Petrof, I know ShiroKuro will be delighted to hear that. I haven't seen all the sheet music, but here is a portion of it .

So what do you think? [it looks scary to me]

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 10:35 PM

OPUS: I checked out the portion of the sheet music for The Croatian Rhapsody and now I'm not sure if I could handle it right now. This song reminds me of one of those Bachs Inventions that I found too difficult to play. Maybe in another year I might be ready to try to play the Croatian Rhapsody by Tonci Hulji. I need to move up on my skills level first.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 11:02 PM

Petrof. I understand...it does appear to be very challenging (but hey, if you really like the piece, maybe the group could help you get through it?)

Nina
 Quote:
"So, to be clear, we pick a piece from the list, work frantically on it for months, hope we get it into some reasonable, unembarrassed shape, record it, then post it?"
LOL, okay. That could happen I suppose, but worded that way makes it sound like a contest or a preparation for a recital, when really, it's more just a way for us to work on our repertoire with others who might also want to work on the same piece. That's all. It's not going to be an overly formal process, with rules & expectations. Have you ever spent a month or so (or longer?) working on a difficult piece of music that you really wanted to learn? That's really what this group thing is all about...finding others who also want to work on the same piano pieces you want to work on...helping others, getting help from others, commiserating, celebrating, motivating, etc...
But to be clear, recording and posting is NOT required, it is optional.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 11:31 PM

You know what would also be great fun to learn?

The famous Rachmaninoff Prelude in c# minor, Op.3 No.2.

Soft and mysterious in the beginning, with an agitated middle section, it concludes with huge, crashing sfff chords that finally resolve to the quietest ppp.

This Prelude would fit both late-intermediate and early-advanced catagories.

Mel

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 05/31/06 11:39 PM

Perhaps some Bach?

I'm working on the French Suite #5 and it's challenging but not rip-your-hair-out hard.

Beethoven's Bagatelles are also nice.
Schubert's German Dances, Op. 33 are great--melodic, fun and short. They're great choices if you want to learn something to play for other people but you don't want to spend more than a few minutes to play them when they're performance-ready.
Mozart's "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" variations--pick as many variations as you want to learn, based on time and ability. (Some are easy, some are tougher.)
Brahms' Waltzes
Bartok's Hungarian Dances
Coates' arrangement of "Ashokan Farewell"

Just some ideas.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 07:26 AM

Leaving aside any discussions of body parts, I just started a Yahoo group to keep in touch with some coworkers on a project. It's very easy and straightforward, but it has to have an "owner" (which is a funny expression because it's free.) If someone wants us to use a Yahoo group, I'll create it.

Here's a transcription of Croatian Rhapsody,

http://maksimmrvica.com/downloads/scores/

(scroll down a bit, it's there for download)

This version is almost the same as mine, but it doesn't have that yucky section that Opus was kind enough to link.

Petrof1, that section is, IMO, the most difficult part of the piece, and it's only 4 measures, so don't let it scare you away if you're really interested.

BTW, what category would you all put Croatian Rhapsody in?

Hmm, Rach... but if Dannylux says it's late-intermediate, then it's probably too hard for me! I don't suppose anyone has a link to listen to this prelude or check out the score?
Posted by: DoMakeSayThink

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 08:17 AM

I'd be interested in participating. I might not be the most active contributor for the next few days / a week or so, though. I've had a bit of a rough week, and I've got A/S level exams to boot.

At the moment, I'm pretty much finished learning Chopin's Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2, but I would be interested in learning some of the aforementioned pieces. Clair De Lune is appealing, despite it being somewhat cliché.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 08:25 AM

The score for Rachmaninoff's Prelude in c# minor is availabe for free here:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=1043

I'll see if I can find an mp3 later tonight.

Mel

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 08:36 AM

OK, I found an mp3 of Rachmaninoff's Prelude in c# minor here:

Op.3 No.2 in cis-moll

Click on "Скачать" to download the file.

It sounds much, much more difficult to play than it is .

Mel

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 08:48 AM

Welcome DoMakeSayThink, we're all glad you're joining in. No problem with being an active/inactive contributor over the next week or so...we've got you covered.

Dannylux, Nina, ShiroKuro & Dannylux: I'll add your suggestions to the growing list.

Question for the group: Does any one else work, or does everyone have all day everyday to spend on their piano repertoire?

[Edit, Dannylux, THANKS for the links...very appreciated]
Posted by: dk21208

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 09:37 AM

Can I commit as a tentative participant?

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 09:44 AM

You bet dk, you're on the list and we're glad you're on it.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 09:48 AM

Dannylux said:
 Quote:
It sounds much, much more difficult than it is to play.
Mel, with all due respect... I don't believe you! It sounds hard, it looks hard! Wow! Seriously, you should play it, it's beautiful and I'd love to hear your rendition.

Quote:
Question for the group: Does any one else work, or does everyone have all day everyday to spend on their piano repertoire?
[/b]
:D
Posted by: SAS

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 10:32 AM

Rachmaninoff? Seriously? LOL, I thought Croatian Rhapsody was too hard. That's ridiculous. I may have to re-think this!
Posted by: seebechstein

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 10:41 AM

'Skachatz' means "to download" in Russian? That may be useful...

Ok this group has piqued my interest. I hope everyone does agree on Croatian Rhapsody because I'd like to work through it, and because you've already linked the sheet music. I propose that we do not tackle any pieces that the sheet music isn't linked from this thread, so we're not practicing different transcriptions.

I'm off from work this week, but given I have a day job, it probably will take me until Christmas to learn this...
Posted by: vanfanel

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 10:44 AM

Can I be added to this as well? sounds like fun!

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 10:57 AM

Opus:

>Question for the group: Does any one else work, >or does everyone have all day everyday to spend >on their piano repertoire?

Don't most of us have jobs? I'm gone from home 11-12 hours a day and am lucky to squeeze in 20 min. of practice a day. Too many other responsibilities. I figure that I'm going to have trouble keeping up if we're all working on the same piece but want to try anyway.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 11:01 AM

SAS
 Quote:
"Rachmaninoff? Seriously? LOL, I thought Croatian Rhapsody was too hard. That's ridiculous. I may have to re-think this!"
Any takers on Rachmaninoff? (i'm pretty certain that might be way over my head as well) dannylux, how advanced are you? i'm thinking you might be a good technical resource in these groups, yes?

seebechstein, glad you're in...ShiroKuro will be very happy to hear of this interest in Croatian Rhapsody (I'm going to have to give it a listen when I get the time). By the way, everyone won't have to agree on this...just enough folks to form a group. We'll be able to form groups once everyone else decides what they want to work on.

Vanfanel...yes, of course you can be added. It WILL be fun. Learning a difficult and challenging peice of music (at least for me) is such a solitary experience. This group thing should help make that experience a little less solitary.

[Edit: Doggone it, boss says i actually have to do a little work today...check ya later ;\) ]

Quote:
Don't most of us have jobs? I'm gone from home 11-12 hours a day and am lucky to squeeze in 20 min. of practice a day. Too many other responsibilities. I figure that I'm going to have trouble keeping up if we're all working on the same piece but want to try anyway.
Don't worry about that Agilita...many of us will be in the same boat...that's why we're taking time to determine what is reasonable for most folks.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 12:36 PM

I might give the Rachmaninoff a go... can I change my mind later? \:\)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 12:57 PM

Ooh, I thought of another piece to recommend, for New Age types...

"Waterfall," by Jon Schmidt.
You can hear it here: Waterfall

And download the music here:
Waterfall pdf download

The download costs $0.89, I think. You have to scroll way down to find "Jon Schmidt Piano Solos Book Vol. I," then select "Waterfall." In other words, you can download individual songs inside the book, you don't have to buy the whole book.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 01:23 PM

Rachmaninoffs' Prelude in C is beautiful, but unfortunately it is way above my level. However I am sure there are enough talented pianists on this forum who can handle it! ;\)

I took another look at the complete score of the CROATIAN RHAPSODY, and there are measures that I can handle and measures that would be difficult for me. I am not good enough yet in my skills level. I would probably end up being able to play only a part of the song. The tempo would be a challenge and the all the rests in the score would also be a challenge for me! But it sure would be a fun song to play around with! :p
Shiro, maybe some people haven't heard of this song, perhaps you can download it for people to listen to that are not familiar with it? I am sure some people would find it like me, to be a very beautiful song! \:\)

Also I wouldnt mind learning the Asokan Farwell. I have the score for it. It is in the Dan Coates book of Complete Advanced Piano Solos.That one doesn't look too hard, I think it is more on the intermediate level. It looks like one of the easier ones to play in that book.
I'd also like the Twinkle, Twinkle by Mozart. I love just about anything by Mozart. ;\)

And no, I don't have all day to practice! At most if I am lucky I have an hour a day.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 02:12 PM

Ok, now that I kind of committed to this I will give some of my thoughts about how to approach it.

I think if it would be coolest if we all focused as one group on the same piece. I don't see this actually happening, so more realistically how about a classical group and one other group. Anyone who wants can be part of one or both groups without us snubbing those that refuse to play classical or refuse to play anything but classical.

I understand music purchases get to be expensive, but I would actually prefer if we did select something that is in hard print. I am one of those old stick-in-the-mud types that believe it is important to support the industry to promote putting out good transcriptions in the future.

My entry to the music pool is:
Ernesto Lecuona: Malaguena

I have wanted to learn this for a while, but have not put the effort into it yet. Someday I will have the motivation, though.

Edit: Forgot to mention practice time. I completely vary from 10 minutes to 2 hours each day. I don't think practice time should be substantial influence in this venture. Everyone is going to progress at a different rate no matter how we work that out.
Posted by: rocky

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 02:39 PM

Good Golly Miss Molly, looking at some of these suggestions makes me wonder what you all are doing in the beginner forum?

Sulking back to his corner and his easy sheet music

\:D
Posted by: Mike White

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 02:46 PM

Here is the sheet music for Chopin Prelude Op. 28 NO. 15, Raindrop:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single_listing.cfm?composer_id=4

Mike

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rocky:
Good Golly Miss Molly, looking at some of these suggestions makes me wonder what you all are doing in the beginner forum?

Sulking back to his corner and his easy sheet music

\:D [/b]
Same here! I've heard some of these pieces played by University piano majors

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 03:19 PM

It seems to me that Opus45 is using this concept as a catalyst to make use of this forum as a peer group for specific music content rather than just the current conceptual level. Perhaps the latest visionary for the future of the forum. I don't see any reason why additional groups for each respective skill level could not be formed now too. Since the idea is to apply the knowledge of first hand experience to our learning, it would probably be even more advantagous to the early and late beginners to try and reap the benefits of past miseries and accomplishments.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 03:21 PM

Quote:
I've heard some of these pieces played by University piano majors
We might just not actually realize what we are getting in to....

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 06:24 PM

from dk
 Quote:
I don't see any reason why additional groups for each respective skill level could not be formed now too. Since the idea is to apply the knowledge of first hand experience to our learning, it would probably be even more advantagous to the early and late beginners to try and reap the benefits of past miseries and accomplishments.
dk, You are absolutley right about that. There is no reason groups could not be formed for the early & late beginners at this time.

I guess I was being a little self-centered because the intermediate-late intermediate levels are where I will receive the most benefit.

Should that be part of this effort, or branched off into a seperate effort/thread?

Ideas????[/b]

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 07:52 PM

Petrof, I was just thinking I should repost the link, because the original thread has slipped back a few pages.

listen to Croatian Rhapsody

You can get a transcrition that is just a wee bit different from this recording here:

Croatian Rhapsody score

Scroll down to the list of transcriptions by Matthew Burrows, and you'll see Croatian Rhapsody there. For anyone who listens to the recording, I think it is not nearly as hard as it sounds, and is very repetitive which means there's less actual music to learn, learn one bit and then it just gets tweaked throughout the piece.

Opus, I personally think we should keep this group as it is, i.e. intermediate/early-advanced. I also think it's a great idea to have a similar group for beginner/early-intermediate. But that should be started by someone at that level, in a different thread, so that said person can get the ball rolling on piece suggestions etc.

And just to repeat what's probably been said about a million times, no one has to play every piece on the list, right? So don't be intimidated. Opus was joking about the not having to work thing-- even if it is something we all dream about! \:\)

I am really happy so many are interested in Croatian Rhapsody.

BTW, are there any more suggestions for a fancy Christmas piece? I'm going to order the Virtuosic Christmas book, but I'm waiting to see if I need to order anything else becuse shipping to Japan is pretty expensive, I want to do it all at once.

Opus, thanks again, this is a fantastic idea! \:\)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 07:59 PM

from ShiroKuro:
 Quote:
I personally think we should keep this group as it is, i.e. intermediate/early-advanced. I also think it's a great idea to have a similar group for beginner/early-intermediate. But that should be started by someone at that level, in a different thread, so that said person can get the ball rolling on piece suggestions etc.
...I was hoping someone would say that. And thanks for the link to the Croation Rhapsody. Now that I'm home, I'm going to check it out & see what the fuss is all about.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 09:29 PM

Quote:
I was hoping someone would say that. [/b]
Happy to oblige! \:D

Re Christmas songs, I don't know if it counts as fancy, but I was just listening to David Nevue's version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, and I really like it. I think you can only hear a clip on his site that I'm linking here (though I highly recommend the whole album if you like Christmas music) but it should give you an idea, and the score is available for purchase there.

David Nevue\'s Christmas CD

Who was it who said they prefer print versions? Are you also not fond of purchasing a score on the net and printing it out yourself then? With someone like Mr Nevue, IIRC their scores are only available on the net.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 09:30 PM

[Edit, re: David Nevue's version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen]

ShiroKuro (and anyone else who might read this)...beautiful version of this carol!!

Thanks for pointing it out!

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 09:37 PM

Opus, even with the new link I posted above? Here's another possibility. This page is almost all in Japanese, but it's worth a try:

Japanese page for Piano Life magazine

BTW, unless you change the encoding for that page, the hpage won't even look like Japanese, it will look like asterisks and other symbols, so don't be surprised. (If you wanted to, you could right click on any empty spot and select Japanese for the encoding, but it'll still just be in Japanese. :rolleyes:

Anyway, there is a column of blue "buttons" on the right side that say "sound" (in english) Click on the 8th button down, that's the link for the Croatian Rhapsody MP3. let me know if that works.

Also, Opus, I think you and I were posting simultaneously, did you see my comment about God Rest Ye Merry Gents? (Nevue's version)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 09:39 PM

P.S. to find the button, it's in the second one in the second group of buttons, underneath the red page indicator for p 49. (or if you just count all the buttons, it's the 8th button)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 09:40 PM

I just noticed we posted simultaneously...also just upgraded my windows player & I'm listening to Croation Rhapsody now.

Beautiful! (I may join this group??)

Yes..."God Rest Ye Merry Gents" (always liked that one too)

[Edit...ShiroKuro, Croation Rhapsody is very beautiful, but....I'm thinking, probably too techinically challenging for me at this point....yipes!]

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 09:46 PM

Opus, no way is it too challenging for you. And I'm not just saying that cuz I want you to play it with me. \:\)

Not after the way you dazzled us with Take Five. I bet this is much simpler. And it's slower (you gotta love that!) The recommended tempo is MM=95 (for the quarter.) And there's so much repetition, so that makes it easier.

I thought it would be too hard too, but I'm working on it little by little (very little really) and it's much more accessible than I thought it would be. Rhythmically, it's very straightforward. If you play it slow, you'll see what's happening, and then I'm sure you'd be able to get it up to speed much more quickly than I will be!

Anyway, no pressure. (We're all doin' it, wassa matter, you chicken or somethin?) but seriously, don't write it off too quickly. \:\)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 09:54 PM

You are very persuasive ShiroKuro, and I do like the sound of Croation Rhapsody...I'll put it back on my "highly considered" list. \:D [and by the way, I still can't play Take Five up to speed ]

Everyone:[/b]
I may have time this weekend to start matching the peices with group participants.

It's not too early to start thinking about which peices you want to learn to play.

And it's not too late to suggest more peices.[/b]

Remember, we don't necessarily have to get to everything right away...groups can elect to start on some pieces and defer others...also you can participate in more than one group.

If you have any other suggestions...share them! Questions? Concerns? Ask![/b]

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 09:57 PM

So we're not going to a Yahoo group is that right? Apparently you have to have a yahoo account to participate in those, and even though yahoo accounts are free, some people may not way to make yet another email account. (not to say we couldn't do a y-group, but it sounds like no one's really interested in that)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 10:02 PM

I was thinking of just using a different thread in the AFB (different threads for each different group). We could give the threads unique names so they can be found easily enough if they sink down the list because all the group members are too busy practicing to post comments/questions/recordings/music scores, etc..

How does this sound? What do you think? Anyone else? Other ideas?

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 10:09 PM

maybe assisgn one song per thread.Maybe have people sign up on the thread that has the song they want to play? If they start a song and they think it is too hard , they can move to another thread. Or if someone starts a song and finds it too easy , they can go to a different thread that has another song they like. And like you said people can do more than 1 song if they want. I think assigning one song per thread, and maybe having people sign up under the thread that has the song they like might work. ????

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 10:10 PM

Yes, I second Petrof and Opus's suggestion, one thread for each piece, with a very clear title, that would be very easy to use and keep track of.
Posted by: TX-Dennis

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/01/06 11:02 PM

Count me in Opus45. Let's say I'm hesitant as to whether I'll be able to devote enough time to this project, but willing to give it a try.

Petrof1 said:

Also I wouldnt mind learning the Asokan Farwell. I have the score for it. It is in the Dan Coates book of Complete Advanced Piano Solos.That one doesn't look too hard, I think it is more on the intermediate level. It looks like one of the easier ones to play in that book.

I agree. I have the same book, and that is one of the easier pieces. I have only attempted about 4 pieces in that book so far, and that is one of them. I can't play it up to speed yet, but it's coming along.

I look at some of the pieces in that book (Over the Rainbow, for example) and wonder if I'll ever in a million years be able to play them, but a few are definitely doable for me.

Another cool book is Showcase for Piano. It's a Hal Leonard book of nicely arranged old pop standards. I think just about all of them would be appropriate for the group. Songs included are Bali Ha'i, Bewitched, Falling in Love with Love, How are Things in Glocca Morra, I Can't Get Started with You, I Could Write a Book, I Didn't Know What Time It Was, I'll Be Seeing You, Lazy Afternoon, My Funny Valentine, On the Street Where You Live, People, September Song, The Sweetest Sounds, There's a Small Hotel, This Can't Be Love, Where or When, and You'll Never Walk Alone. I just got the book and have only tried a couple of pieces so far. I would classify them as intermediate - late intermediate.

I prefer buying books rather than sheet music as you get more for your money that way.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/02/06 01:07 AM

In the same Coates book with Ashokan Farewell.... is a good arrangement of "Beauty and the Beast."

It's actually the very next song, if I recall correctly. His "Over the Rainbow" is good, as is "As Time Goes By."

Besides, every pianist needs to have a rendition of "As Time Goes By," right? \:\)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/02/06 08:19 AM

I listened to Croatian Rhapsody and printed out the first couple of pages of the transcription... and I think I want to be in this group! It's definitely a stretch for me, but I think with careful attention I could pick away at it steadily... and it sounds so great and unlike anything else in my repertoire.

Thanks for posting it, Shiro.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/02/06 10:35 AM

ShiroKuro,

I have in the past purchased music for download when I couldn't find it elsewhere. I think it is a great concept, but I still prefer the hard copy mailed to my door when it is available. I am quirky that way.
Posted by: Euan Morrison

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/02/06 12:36 PM

I wouldn't mind signing up for the learning group as well.

If we have to select what piece to look at, I will select the Croatian Rhapsody too. I don't think I will be able to play it to any high level, but its been on my mind recently and would like to give it a shot.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/02/06 12:37 PM

First, let me say that when I referred to any boob can start a Yahoo group, I wasn't necessarily thinking body part--more like any moron--that aside (we all have a sense of humor I hope) to clarify. You don't need a Yahoo e-mail account to participate in a a Yahoo group--just a sign-in id and password.

However, I think that the idea of starting a thread for each song or group is a good one to try out--keeping this simple so that we can spend more time on the keyboard than figuring out how to post.

I don't have any recommendation for music--just two considerations would be helpful--

At least one piece (maybe two) at the beginning intermediate level as I'm just starting up after 30 years or so and feel like the Tin Man who needs oil (although it's amazing what is slowly coming back to me).

And, second, it would be appreciated to let us know how to obtain the music--either download or hard copy purchase. (Also where to get a recording so that we could listen to what it's suppose to sound like.) I have no preferrence for sheet music or a book or download--cost is no object--that's why my credit card bills are so outrageous.

Edit: I just read Opus' other post--maybe I'm not far enough along? Ok if I try anyway?

I'm looking forward to this.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/02/06 01:56 PM

from FurElise:
 Quote:
And, second, it would be appreciated to let us know how to obtain the music--either download or hard copy purchase. (Also where to get a recording so that we could listen to what it's suppose to sound like.) I have no preferrence for sheet music or a book or download--cost is no object--that's why my credit card bills are so outrageous.
...maybe I'm not far enough along? Ok if I try anyway?
I think we'll be throwing links around to recordings, downloads, & places to purches hard copies. If there's anything in particular you're having trouble finding, just ask...someone will step up and help you find it. (glad you're going to stick it out & try FurElise)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/02/06 11:27 PM

Here are the sheets for the classical pieces listed so far, except the Massenet:

Please note that sheetmusicarchive.net allows only 2 downloads per day.

So please download the pieces you are most interested in first, and the rest later.

Thanks.

Beethoven Bagatelles:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single_listing.cfm?composer_id=3

Brahms Waltz in A flat, Op.39 No.15:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=198

Chopin Raindrop Prelude, Op.28 No.15:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=244

Chopin Waltz in A flat, Op.69 No.1:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=273

Chopin Waltz in c# minor, Op.64 No.2:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=271

Debussy Claire de Lune:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=1136

Debussy Reverie:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=758

Mozart Ah! Vous dirai-je, Maman K.265:

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

Rachmaninoff Prelude in c# minor, Op.3 No.2:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=1043

Schubert German Dances:

A Ton Of Them

Schubert Impromptu in G:

I have Schubert's Complete Piano Works, and there is no Impromptu in G.

However, the Impromptu in G flat, Op.90 No.3 is gorgeous:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=1331

Mel

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/02/06 11:57 PM

Oh man, look what happens when I go out of town... ShiroKuro sneaks in Croatian Rhapsody on the learning group!!! Aaarrgggh!

If the rest of the sheet music is as hard as the excerpt, I'm looking for the "Beginner Learning Group" thread... ;\)
Posted by: LisztAddict

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/03/06 12:09 AM

I am in with the Schubert Impromptu in G-flat major, Op 90 No 3.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/03/06 06:03 AM

No, no, Monica, that excerpt is specifically the most difficult section of the piece. That's why I started there first. And for the record, I still can't play it worth a snot! :p

Also, did you notice I suggested David Nevue's God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen for the Christmas piece? \:\)

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/03/06 09:35 AM

from Monica
 Quote:
Oh man, look what happens when I go out of town... ShiroKuro sneaks in Croatian Rhapsody on the learning group!!! Aaarrgggh!
How true! ShiroKuro is VERY persuasive (i bet she is just as persuasive in her work as a teacher). She's so persuasive in fact, that she has me 90% convinced that I might be able to actually think about the possibility of entertaining the idea of the concept of considering that I may be able to actually learn to play the Croatian Rhapsody?

By the way, I'm going to start forming the groups based on interest expressed in this thread and in Email sent to me. I'll spin off another thread with the groups, and will add to & modify those groups over the next couple weeks as people indicate to me. [/b]

[Edit: Done...The list of participants and piano pieces have been relocated here

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/03/06 10:06 AM

dannylux

Thank you for the convenient links![/b]
Posted by: Euan Morrison

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/03/06 10:30 AM

With regards to the Croatian Rhapsody piece - which transcription are we going to use? I'm aware there are two, the one that Shiro got in the magazine, and the one from Maksim's website?
Posted by: LisztAddict

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/07/06 11:17 PM

So, what am I supposed to do with my selection?

Practice it, record it, and compare it with other recordings from people in my group? Is this a long term project or does it have a time limit?

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/08/06 09:58 AM

LisztAddict,
The groups are still forming, even though some are off to an early start (you can still join those as well). There are a few variables that will determine the length of the group project...difficulty of piece, technical ability of individual group members, time available to learn & practice piece, and others. This is not going to be a rigid exercise with time limits, etc.., rather a fun way to work on your piano repertoire.

Here's the tentative schedule:

Schedule 2006[/b]:
June Week One: Recruiting & Ideas
June Week Two: Suggestions for piano pieces for the Group (Classical, Jazz, Modern, Other).
June Week Two & Three: Open discussions/suggestions on how to organize the groups & develop a music schedule.
June Week Four: Obtain music (purchase hard copies/download or share?)
July: Start new pieces, in group(s) of choice
August-December: Continued work on pieces and/or start new pieces, as desired.
December: Evaluate Experience & Decide on whether or not to continue in 2007.

Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?) - 06/08/06 10:00 AM

The thread for this topic has been relocated to here .