Ooooh! Anyone want to know what piano teachers *really* think about ABs?

Posted by: Cindysphinx

Ooooh! Anyone want to know what piano teachers *really* think about ABs? - 10/14/04 12:02 PM

I've just come across the web site of the fellow who started the Adult Music Students' Forum here in D.C.

Musicalfossils

And guess what? *We're* the fossils! ;\)

I haven't read it yet, but it looks really fabulous. I've always wondered why my teacher does some of what she does, and this site looks at adult beginners from the teacher's perspective. Should be interesting . . .
Posted by: pianojuggler

Re: Ooooh! Anyone want to know what piano teachers *really* think about ABs? - 10/14/04 12:22 PM

Cool! I plan to get myself carbon-dated this afternoon.

Thanks!

Re: Ooooh! Anyone want to know what piano teachers *really* think about ABs? - 10/14/04 12:29 PM

To save time, here's the link to the recent symposium he taught about working with adult beginners. Very interesting.

Overcoming The Myths
Posted by: Nina

Re: Ooooh! Anyone want to know what piano teachers *really* think about ABs? - 10/14/04 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Cool! I plan to get myself carbon-dated this afternoon.

Thanks! [/b]
:D \:D

Reminds me, I was 35 when I had my first child. In my OB/GYN's chart, I was labeled something like "geriatric primagravida." \:\(

Basically it meant "really old to be having her first child." I wanted to punch the guy.
Posted by: Nina

Re: Ooooh! Anyone want to know what piano teachers *really* think about ABs? - 10/14/04 01:29 PM

Cindy, you are so lucky to have this group in your area! I am green with envy...
Posted by: pianojuggler

Re: Ooooh! Anyone want to know what piano teachers *really* think about ABs? - 10/14/04 02:12 PM

You could always start on there. I've been working on it here.

Ask your teacher is there is an association of piano or music teachers, and if they have a newsletter, a web site, or an e-mail list. Go there and ask teachers to ask their ABs to call you. Before you know it, you will have your own AB group getting together on a monthly basis for Piano, Wine, and truffles (or whatever, just make sure everyone washes their hands before playing).

Re: Ooooh! Anyone want to know what piano teachers *really* think about ABs? - 10/14/04 03:01 PM

Nina,

And hurry up about it! I'll be in Phoenix over the Christmas holiday, so I could turn up as an out-of-town AB!

Seriously, you might want to contact Mr. Harre (the musicfossil guy). He is really wonderful and probably can do a lot to advise you.

PJ, you crack me up!

Cindy -- who thinks ABs should have dinosaur nicknames, and who wants dibs on "Stegosaurus"