Building Finger Velocity

Posted by: pianogeek

Building Finger Velocity - 01/09/05 07:04 PM

I was wondering if any of you had a preferred method for building finger velocity? I have a few Fingerpower books but aren't terribly fond of them. Is the Czerny "School of Velocity" or something like that any better? Maybe I just don't like Fingerpower because my teacher as a kid made me transpose every exercise into almost every key before I could move on... It was probably good for me but left a bad impression.
Posted by: jazzyprof

Re: Building Finger Velocity - 01/09/05 07:14 PM

The free online book by Chang has many techniques for building up speed. http://members.aol.com/chang8828/contents.htm
In going for speed, however, keep in mind that you can't play fast what you can't play accurately. So, once you've figured out the motions needed for fast play, practice your passage in slow motion, with great accuracy. Speed will come...your fingers will just want to go faster once the correct movements have become ingrained.
Posted by: DuCamp

Re: Building Finger Velocity - 01/09/05 08:19 PM

If you decide to go the Czerny route, be aware that before School Of Velocity you might wanna study first the Preparatory School Of Finger Dexterity Op.636.
Both are very helpful in my opinion.
Posted by: signa

Re: Building Finger Velocity - 01/09/05 08:59 PM

try Bach's inventions, which will surely give you plenty of finger exercises on speed and dexterity.