Where Amazing Happens

Posted by: HouseHead78

Where Amazing Happens - 11/08/07 03:03 PM

Anyone seen these NBA commercials? They have a great piano track playing behind them and I wonder if anyone can figure out the chord progression. I fiddled around with it last night but couldn't get it. Maybe a better play-by-ear guy or gal would be able to though?
Posted by: kokomo61

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/09/07 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HouseHead78:
Anyone seen these NBA commercials? They have a great piano track playing behind them and I wonder if anyone can figure out the chord progression. I fiddled around with it last night but couldn't get it. Maybe a better play-by-ear guy or gal would be able to though? [/b]
Here's a YouTube link.....

NBA "Where Amazing Happens"

I'll give it a spin and see what I come up with....

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/09/07 08:00 PM

Pretty straight forward....it's Am, F, C, E7, with the single note melody played over the rhythm figure.
Posted by: HouseHead78

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/10/07 03:47 AM

Kokomo - you ROCK! I had the Am but that was it! Thanks so much!
Posted by: flyingfroggy

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/10/07 06:23 PM

I'm coming out of lurkdom to add to this thread. (I think my last post was over a year ago, but I'm still here, lurking!)The piece is called "Every Day" by Carly Comando, and you can purchase the sheet music on her Myspace page here . I just bought it and have added it to my pile of sheet music that I will get to eventually! \:D

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/10/07 08:01 PM

And here's a YouTube link of someone playing the tune - so you can get a better idea of what the fingering patterns look like....

Every Day
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/10/07 09:43 PM

Thanks, flyingfroggy! This is a very pretty piece and I doubt I will be able to resist buying it. You should delurk more often. \:D
Posted by: Kawaigirl1

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/10/07 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyingfroggy:
I'm coming out of lurkdom to add to this thread. (I think my last post was over a year ago, but I'm still here, lurking!)The piece is called "Every Day" by Carly Comando, and you can purchase the sheet music on her Myspace page here . I just bought it and have added it to my pile of sheet music that I will get to eventually! \:D [/b]
The music reminds me abit like Philip Glass's music. Very nice.
Posted by: Lorna

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/14/07 09:01 PM

Househead78, so glad you started this thread. I was interested in this music - heard it on YouTube accompanying a video by Noah - he took photos of himself everyday for six years and the video shows the photos in high speed. He keeps the same serious expression in every photo.

Thanks for the link to Carly Comando, flyingfroggy! I ordered the music and Carly emailed the PDF within 2 days. Friendly woman - it's good to support contemporary composers. \:\)

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/16/07 03:33 PM

Here's the YouTube link for the Noah Kalina video (which is what she originally wrote the music for):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B26asyGKDo

The music is even more powerful when accompanied by this video, I think.

dang it, yet another piece that gets under my skin in a serious way. [fell off sheet music wagon once again.]
Posted by: lisakokey

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/22/07 11:35 PM

hello...

A question for the forum, I'm in the alfred's book 3 and I'm learning the songs and play them well, but when I move on to another song I forget how to play the songs that I learned previously....Why?? Has anyone had this problem..
Thanks
Posted by: PXFort

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/23/07 12:30 AM

Great song thanks for the links and such. I just ordered the sheet music in hopes that I will get good enough to learn it.

Do you guys think it would be worth while to start a thread to learning this song for beginners like me? (assuming that the sheet music was purchased by each individual participant of course)

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/23/07 09:48 AM

I'd be up for a study group on it. I got my sheet music last Sunday and have been working on it as much as possible since. (Not much yesterday, alas; turkey got in the way.) I have the first four pages pretty much down, though nowhere close to tempo.

There's some tricky parts where you're playing different patterns in the left and right hand.

I just love the section with the thundering bass notes where you're pounding away on the lowest key on the keyboard.

I'm guessing the most important part of the piece will be mastering the dynamics. You need to get all those accents just right to give the piece the beautiful repetitive pulsing feel that it has.

p.s. to lisakokey: Welcome to the forum! You should start a new thread with your question, as I'm guessing a lot of people won't see it here in this thread. Just go to the bottom of the AB forum page and click on "new topic."

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/23/07 10:22 AM

Great idea, pauly and Monica! I'm in.

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/23/07 11:48 AM

Great
I ordered the sheet music last night
So I hope to get it this weekend and start on it.

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/23/07 12:39 PM

Monica K or flyingfroggy I wanted to ask you how long did it take for you to get the sheet music once you ordered?

Thanks

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/23/07 01:00 PM

pauly, it came within a few hours.

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/23/07 01:43 PM

ok thanks

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/23/07 02:23 PM

It took me closer to three days... and with the holiday, I'm guessing it may be a while.

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/23/07 04:45 PM

yeah I think the same thing but at least I know that it could take a while.

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/24/07 02:28 AM

Wow what fun...

I'm up way to late but I had to give this a go.
My hands and fingers are tired and achy. just trying to get the pattern changes. And the tempo, this is going to take a while; but, it's worth it. I really like this piece it inspires me to get better.

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/24/07 01:33 PM

I agree with you pauly forte. I played this one so much the past few days the sides of my thumbs started to get sore (this piece gives both thumbs a solid workout), so I am trying to mix it up more today.

There are about 5 lines on the last 3 pages that are giving me conniption fits, and I think it's going to take a LONG time for me to get those lines down, but other than that, the notes are falling into place and I can think about working on tempo and expression.

The other thing I am finding hard is to transition between the sections smoothly.

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/24/07 02:03 PM

Playing this piece is abit like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/24/07 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kawaigirl1:
Playing this piece is abit like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time [/b]
I agree! Each hand by itself is simple, but putting them together smoothly, with expression, and up to tempo is the challenge!

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/24/07 09:13 PM

Yes, that's a perfect description. So while I am tearing my hair out I tell myself this is good practice for hand independence.

But I tell ya, measures 93-96 and 121-134 are killing me. And it aggravates me to no end because they don't seem any different in spirit to the rest of the piece, but I can only play them at a v-e-r-y slow snail's pace.
Posted by: enel80

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/26/07 05:49 PM

Cute, this piece reminds me "truman steps" (truman show soundtrack) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq-xuQgotbQ

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/26/07 07:45 PM

Truman Sleeps has some of the same chord progressions. It was written by Philip Glass. Pretty music, but I didn't care for the movie.

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/27/07 06:54 PM

I found this video on YouTube. I think it's a wonderful performance!

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/27/07 07:14 PM

Wow, she played that piece very well.
Posted by: z32

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/27/07 08:02 PM

Dang! That was beautiful! She has such great dynamics control. Such for befitting title for that song.

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/28/07 12:00 AM

Yeah that was the best video of this song I have seen yet. IMO anyway.

UM I need to go practice!!

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/28/07 11:08 AM

Wow... she really did an outstanding job. It's funny, in a way, because I think a piano teacher would have a hissy fit over her posture/form (her thighs weren't level, her forearms *definitely* weren't, and her shoulders looked all scrunched up with tension), yet... she played beautifully! Which only goes to show that maybe it's not all that important to have the proper form...

I've only been able to practice 10-15 minutes each of the past few days. Very frustrating!!!! [I wonder if I would get in trouble if I canceled class to go home and play? Yeah, probably... but only if any of the students complained... \:D ]

p.s. enel80, you are right about "everyday" being reminiscent of the Truman Steps piece. But you did my sheet music addiction no favors by showing me that link, with the link inside it to the pianothemes website. I have printed out yet another 2-inch stack of sheet music to learn!!
Posted by: Rodney

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/28/07 01:58 PM

Hey Monica,

I've also wondered if there isn't just a little too much emphasis placed on technique by teachers. For example, have you ever seen some of the recording of Horowitz?? I think that just about any teacher would go insane if one of their students played with that technique, but they would be extremely proud of a student who could sound so brilliant.

I beleive that so called "correct" technique is just a starting point and that we each have to find what's best for our own physiology. Since the vast majority of us will not play for several hours, day-after-day then we have little risk of injury so that excuse doesn't fly.

Off my soap box now.

BTW:

I liked this piece but I did find it a bit repetative. Worked VERY well for the NBA short though!!

Rodney
Posted by: Betty Patnude

Re: Where Amazing Happens - 11/28/07 03:48 PM

Your comments are interesting to me:

Monica says: "It's funny, in a way, because I think a piano teacher would have a hissy fit over her posture/form (her thighs weren't level, her forearms *definitely* weren't, and her shoulders looked all scrunched up with tension), yet... she played beautifully! Which only goes to show that maybe it's not all that important to have the proper form..."

Rodney says: "I've also wondered if there isn't just a little too much emphasis placed on technique by teachers. For example, have you ever seen some of the recording of Horowitz?? I think that just about any teacher would go insane if one of their students played with that technique, but they would be extremely proud of a student who could sound so brilliant."

I beleive that so called "correct" technique is just a starting point and that we each have to find what's best for our own physiology. Since the vast majority of us will not play for several hours, day-after-day then we have little risk of injury so that excuse doesn't fly."

Betty says: Now the use of the words posture, technique, position are different things here, I'm qualifying it by description and trying not to label it as positive or negative, but from a teacher's viewpoint, it certainly will be different from others viewpoints.

Please let's give this a "trial" or a "try-it" by going to our pianos and affecting the posture we saw in the video.

That was a chosen posture, I believe. How does YOUR body feel when playing music in that position? How long does it take before you are tired or hurting? The pianist is youthful, slim, petite, feminine.

She is playing repetitious movements, not leaping about the piano. Her range of dynamics is fairly steady (until I turned it off, that is). The piano is very adequate and has a nice timbre. The room setting is lovely. The performer absolutely loves to play piano and gives it great thought and preparation to what works best for her. She starts with a dropped jaw which makes me think she studies (studied) with a performance type of teacher past the intermediate level. I think she probably affects different postures for the kind of music she plays.

I agree with Rodney when he says "I beleieve that so called "correct" technique is just a starting point and that we each have to find what's best for our own physiology." Yes, and for the era of the music, the composer's style and characteristics of his music, the condition of the piano. and the size and acoustics of the room we are performning in. It is all taken into account.

The most important thing is to prevent reoccuring injuries. You may not be aware of the problems building up until one fine day, there you are facing a physical or neurological obstacle because of a habit you have. And, it does not take a long time of practice to do injury.

One of the things I think I noticed in this video was her moving her left hand up and to the right in a fast, abrupt move only to move it again to the left. It seems to be a habit with no reason. Try that movement, too, when you are giving these postures a trial.

Technique is all about chosen touch and mannerisms to get the sound, effect, volume, duration as notated on the music page by the composer. It is also about fitting your body and being into a choreography (dance) upon and into the keyboard that produces those glorious tones.

It is not just about hitting the right keys however many times I have read that.

While she did a nice playing of it, a teacher would hear and put so many more possibilities into that playing. And, they would want for their students to "see" these possibilities too.

It takes the human instrument played well to produce an outstanding performance.

This is a different side of the coin, isn't it.

Each person plays according to their understanding and ability. Many are still growing and goaling. Music is a lifelong path - we should always be learning along that path.

Respectfully,

Betty